Print Page | Close Window

John Zorn to release an album every month in 2010

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63575
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 23:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: John Zorn to release an album every month in 2010
Posted By: Henry Plainview
Subject: John Zorn to release an album every month in 2010
Date Posted: December 14 2009 at 20:12
From Tzadik.com
Quote 2010 will be a landmark year for John Zorn who promises 12 new CD releases-one every month! Included will be new music from The Dreamers, Moonchild and Alhambra, 3 new releases in The Book of Angels series, a major new studio composition dedicated to the Korean-American writer Theresa Hak Kyung Cha, a classical release featuring his acclaimed violin concerto Contes des Fées, the DVD release of his opera with Richard Foreman ASTRONOME, a ripping improvised duo recording with Fred Frith and undoubtedly several surprises. Most of the recordings are already completed and the release schedule set, so keep your eyes and ears open and expect a new Zorn release every 4th Tuesday of the month in 2010!
I have to say, John is really outdoing himself here. I'm excited for the new Moonchild and Frith recordings, I'm still on the fence about the Astronome opera, and he cannot possibly expect me to buy 3 Book of Angels albums.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Replies:
Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: December 14 2009 at 20:16
I hate the fact that he produces so much good music. Cool news though.

Posted By: The Runaway
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 04:28
Zorn is a musician whos music is a bit too avant-garde in my taste but I still think that releasing a CD per month is something that only a musical genius could do.

-------------
http://www.formspring.me/Aragorn224" rel="nofollow - Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.

Posted By: Mr ProgFreak
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 04:49
Maybe another musician will take up the challenge and publish a new album every week in 2010 ... ;-)

-------------
https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike" rel="nofollow - https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 08:30
John Zorn is modern day's Zappa. All said...Smile

Posted By: mrcozdude
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 08:32
Jesus! I like Zorn but it's hard to consider myself a fan because I've heard about twenty albums.But that's about a quarter of his discography.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/cozfunkel/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 08:40
^Don't worry, some of them are really unlistanable Big smile! I am his fan as well , but even have no idea to listen everything he recorded (and will record). From another hand, some his series (as Masada)  include very similar music in many albums ( even if each of them are good). No need to have everything

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 09:36
Locus Solus was a difficult one lol

-------------

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:13
album.asp?id=20574 - Hemophiliac  will kill you as well

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:15
Is that the Patton and the other guy collab?

-------------

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 11:30
Yep,                 Ikue Mori / Drum Machines, Electronics
                                Mike Patton / Voice, Electronics
                                  John Zorn / Saxophone, Voice

I like avant-jazz and free - jazz, but this is not jazz, just free-form experimental sound collages. Let say -abstract audio design

Posted By: The Runaway
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 14:38
Instruments and Personnel on that one scare me  Confused

-------------
http://www.formspring.me/Aragorn224" rel="nofollow - Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.

Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 14:54
And you are right I afraidWink

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 15:21
I should make a ratio on the productivity of French bassist Joëlle Léandre which has released or played on more than 150 albums since 1981!

Posted By: Dorsalia
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 20:01
Next year I'm gonna drag a cat across the floor twice a month and release 24 albums of avant garde experimental post modern imperialistic crap.

-------------
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 20:10
Yeah because John Zorn sure is no Ronnie Stolt.

Next year will be awesome just for this alone. Every John Zorn release isn't great, but they're almost always good. I've only heard one or two ones I would call mediocre - bad. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 21:15
Oh no!!! He's letting them out!!!! Run away!!!  Run away!!!  Run away!!! 

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Asphalt
Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 16:52
Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

Next year I'm gonna drag a cat across the floor twice a month and release 24 albums of avant garde experimental post modern imperialistic crap.

Smile Why so touchy? Go ahead. Record your cat and release the albums. See if anyone gets excited Tongue

Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 17:05
[Dorsalia]  Next year I'm gonna drag a cat across the floor twice a month and release 24 albums of avant garde experimental post modern imperialistic crap.

Ooo, haven't heard such clever sentences for years!!!

Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 20:01
Glad to be of service.

-------------
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 20:06
Originally posted by Asphalt Asphalt wrote:

Smile Why so touchy? Go ahead. Record your cat and release the albums. See if anyone gets excited Tongue

Oh I've done it before in my own way. And you wouldn't believe the stuff people buy into.

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 22:44
By the way you do realize music can't be imperialistic. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: December 20 2009 at 04:52
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Maybe another musician will take up the challenge and publish a new album every week in 2010 ... ;-)

I guess if you don't have to abide by any conventional musical rules whatsoever, you can't be accused of breaking any. Personally, I admire John Zorn for setting up that record label of his which is a not for profit co-operative where artists get exposure who would ordinarily never get a sniff of conventional recording contract.

However his music leaves me cold, it sounds like pretend violence for those who've never even been in a fight.

-------------

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: December 20 2009 at 05:40
Originally posted by Blowin Free Blowin Free wrote:

Zorn is a musician whos music is a bit too avant-garde in my taste but I still think that releasing a CD per month is something that only a musical genius could do.
So the quantity of music is the mark of genius? Wink I'd add a couple of adjectives to that proclamation.

Could very well work, who knows. John Frusciante had this six albums in six months thing a few years ago (in the end it was I think five albums and an EP in seven months or something) and most of that stuff that I've heard is really really good. 

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Date Posted: December 20 2009 at 05:48
Zorn has huge discogs till now, any all albums mostly are great (ok,I didn't hear all, and I know a few terrible of them as well). Frank Zappa had huge amount of albums, was it bad music? Most important, if musician has ideas and know the way how to realize its!

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: December 20 2009 at 07:34

If you do not like the music of John Zorn, maybe you shouldn't be posting here.

Why not let the others have their conversation without any superflous opinions.

Date Posted: December 20 2009 at 17:15
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

By the way you do realize music can't be imperialistic. 

You are so wrong.

Anyway, in this case I was just joking, Mr. Ford Prefect.

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 01:01
Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2010 at 22:55
The first release sounds really interesting, and I will definitely be purchasing it. 

An a cappella album featuring Book of Angels material:

Mycale: Mycale: The Book of Angels Volume 13 [#7378]
Get ready for a whole new approach to Masada music! Expressive and passionate, Basya Schecter, Ayelet Rose Gottlieb, Malika Zarra and Sofia Rei Koutsovitis are four of the most creative vocalists around. Each the leader of a dynamic band of their own, they come together here in an intimate a cappella setting to interpret eleven songs from Zorn's remarkable Book of Angels. With lyrics in Hebrew, Yiddish, Ladino, French and Arabic drawn from Rumi, Fernando Pessoa, The Hebrew Bible and more, the Masada vocal project is perhaps the most hauntingly beautiful installments in the entire Angels series. Dynamic and evocative New Jewish Music from  

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2010 at 02:09
Sounds interesting!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 11 2010 at 17:09
Indeed!

I'll probably pick it up eventually. I'm always looking for strange a capalla albusm.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: January 12 2010 at 07:36
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Indeed!

I'll probably pick it up eventually. I'm always looking for strange a capalla albusm.

OT, but if this is the case you really must check out this little gem:  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=23124 - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=23124

Posted By: Marty McFly
Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 10:08
So do you think you can recommend me to start with his newest (2010) releases ? I've never heard anything from him.

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 10:29
Hey,Marty, I still didn't heard Zorn's new release, so it's difficult to say something about it. But as old Zorn's fan I can recommend just to start from Naked City. Zorn has huge discogs of very different music, so better go step by step, because some mistake can just shock you. From another hand, he has many accessible albums, as Masadas ( if you like klezmer-influenced  sound)

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 10:43
His CDs are very expensive, the good news would be to find them at a lower price. Given the fact that his discography will expand exponentially, he could foresee that in the near future.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 10:58
^Wink Yes, he is a nightmare for completist!

Posted By: LiquidEternity
Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 16:22
I thought Naked City was awful, aside from the first track. The Masada albums are really cool, though.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 16:28
^It depends on your taste. Just Naked City is heavy radical metal-influenced avant, when Masadas are all kletzmer-based world-avant. Very different categories, but I like both ( as well as his solo works)

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 16:38
Well I suppose it was inevitable that Zorn would slow down sooner or later Wink.

It's probably best to cherry pick these releases - Astronome is the one that seems most exciting to me, whereas much as I love Fred Frith I find it hard to get too worked up about another Frith/Zorn improv session.

As for Haemophiliac - I still have it on my ipod and revisit it once in a while; it's definitely an album to be taken in small doses, but it is worth persevering with.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: LiquidEternity
Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 19:01
The truth is I'm not that into his excessive free jazz and nasty avant stuff. He makes incredible music when he puts it together. I'm not a hater of avant stuff, though it often takes me some time to appreciate. It's just, comparing the clever world jazz of Masada to the greasy and sharp chainsaw action of Naked City, the interest lies really heavily to one side.

Although if anyone could direct me to some of his better, and perchance slightly less free, jazz recordings, that could be neat. Maybe I just need another inroad for the fellow's stuff. He can solo like a demon...

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 21:44
Mycale: Book of Angels Vol. 13 is now available at Tzadik, although Amazon isn't getting it until the 26th. This month he also released Noah Creshevsky's Twilight of the Gods (I hadn't heard of him before, but what I could find online of his previous work is some of the most disorienting music I've ever heard), Mark Feldman and Sylvie Corvoisier's Oblivia (The samples of their previous work is great), and Yuka Honda's Heart Chamber Phantoms (I don't care).

There's also this information about the upcoming Zorn albums:

John Zorn: In Search Of The Miraculous [#7379]
Inspired by esoteric spiritual practices, white magic, ritual, traditional myths and ancient legends, Zorn brings together a life long interest in mysticism with powerful lyricism to fashion this dynamic and evocative series of Odes for the New Millennium. Featuring the landmark extended composition The Magus, one of Zorn's most exciting new works, the music takes on a scintillating new edge—dramatic, hypnotic and mysterious. Performed by the remarkable Alhambra Trio enhanced by special guests Kenny Wollesen on vibraphone, Carol Emanuel on harp and Shanir Blumenkranz on Fender bass, In Search of the Miraculous is a deeply moving listening experience—ecstatic music for young and old that touches on the sublime!
The Dreamers: Ipos: The Book Of Angels vol. 14 [#7380]
The dynamic sextet featured in two of Zorn's most recent and popular musical projects-The Dreamers and O'o-jump another level in Ipos, their most beautiful and powerful recording to date. Featuring ten new compositions from the lyrical Book of Angels, the music draws exotica, surf, world music, latin jazz, rock, film music and more into a seductive new musical world. Perfect for the early morning, late at night, at home or in the car, The Dreamers play Masada is truly a magical combination. Powerful new music performed by an all-star band of downtown masters.
Fred Frith/John Zorn Duo: Late Works [#7382]
Fred Frith and John Zorn have a close working relationship that's has been fruitful since they first met in 1978. Close friends and cohorts, veterans of many ensembles and bands, they are two of the downtown scene’s founding fathers. Sharing a love for improvisation, composition and music from all over the map, they have developed a unique duo language that jumps from moment to moment with lightening speed and a near-endless imagination. Their yearly sold-out duo performances are some of the most anticipated events in New Music and while their previous releases have all been documents of these exciting concerts, here they enter the studio for 
the first time in a beautiful recording of improvisation at its very best. Two of the world's greatest experimental instrumentalists in wild telepathic interplay!
John Zorn: Chimeras [#7085b]
Newly revised, this is the definitive version of a Zorn masterpiece! Loosely inspired by the remarkable worlds of Henry Darger, Lewis Carroll and Unica Zürn which throw childlike innocence against a backdrop of violence and perversion, Chimeras is one of Zorn’s greatest works in the classical tradition. A work of fantasy and imagination scored for a Pierrot Lunaire ensemble plus percussion, the work has been resequenced, remastered and a brief, fleeting newly recorded postlude has been added. Dramatic and colorful, Chimeras is a work filled with femininity, innocence, beauty and violence.

Personally, I'm interested in Frith/Zorn going into the studio, but I don't care much about the others based on the description, but of course with Tzadik it's hard to say how accurate those descriptions really are. More importantly to some people here, he will be releasing a new Terry Riley album!

Terry Riley: Autodreamographical Tales [#8070]
One of the most influential musicians on the planet, Terry Riley is the father of both minimalism and the downtown scene, having incorporated improvisation into his work from as far back as the early 1960s. This project, a musical dream diary, was created in 1996 and features Terry playing and telling stories from his unconscious. Coupled with his legendary Hook Lecture from Sydney, Australia, Autodreamographical Tales is unique in the Riley discography—a CD of spoken word with music. Incredibly evocative musical backgrounds highlight these strange stories read with eloquence and panache by one of most important musical figures of the late 20th century. At 75, still writing and performing with incredible power, magic and love, Terry Riley remains THE MAN—the hippest, coolest cat around.

-------------

Posted By: Marty McFly
Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 03:46

Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

I thought Naked City was awful, aside from the first track. The Masada albums are really cool, though.

Will go for this one. Let the rule of luck decide. Anyway, I'm mostly trying to find positives on a record

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 06:04
^Marty, Naked City is great album, but hard-core (extreme) sound, so it's more for lovers possibly. Knowing your love to more pleasant music, possibly better start from "Spillane" (1987), "Alhambra" and "'0" from last year are both good too, in similar vein. If you not afraid of a bit free jazz + great hot folk/world combination (klezmer in that case), you can just try any Masada. For those far from jazz, I can strongly recommend Electric Masada, great electric jazz fusion with klezmer roots and some avant-garde (not too much) inside.

Always better to start with more accessible albums, if you will like it, just could make another step deeper.

Date Posted: January 30 2010 at 20:59
http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=12682&Product_Count=&Category_Code= - Squidco has generously uploaded samples of Mycale , since John is so reluctant to give anything away on the Tzadik page. I was originally a skeptic about this project, but now I'm really interested.

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2010 at 23:11
I don't like to double post, but here I go:
In Search of the Miraculous and Chimeras are both available now, as are Terry Riley--Autodreamographical Tales and John King--10 Mysteries. There's also the following information on another Book of Angels:

Ben Goldberg Quartet: Baal: The Book Of Angels vol. 15 [#7381]
A mind blowing and fiery new quartet featuring Ben Goldberg, one the true pioneers of Radical Jewish Culture whose groundbreaking group New Klezmer Trio proved an important influence on the Masada legacy. Turning his hand to Masada music in this fabulous all star quartet organized, arranged and conducted by Zorn himself, Ben plays like never before, displaying a sensitive virtuosity and a brilliant sense of sound and space. At times moody, intense, meditative, driving, lyrical and atmospheric, this is brilliant Jewish chamber music from four longtime and intimate members of the Masada family. Absolutely stunning!

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2010 at 23:27
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I don't like to double post, but here I go:
In Search of the Miraculous and Chimeras are both available now, as are Terry Riley--Autodreamographical Tales and John King--10 Mysteries. There's also the following information on another Book of Angels:

Ben Goldberg Quartet: Baal: The Book Of Angels vol. 15 [#7381]
A mind blowing and fiery new quartet featuring Ben Goldberg, one the true pioneers of Radical Jewish Culture whose groundbreaking group New Klezmer Trio proved an important influence on the Masada legacy. Turning his hand to Masada music in this fabulous all star quartet organized, arranged and conducted by Zorn himself, Ben plays like never before, displaying a sensitive virtuosity and a brilliant sense of sound and space. At times moody, intense, meditative, driving, lyrical and atmospheric, this is brilliant Jewish chamber music from four longtime and intimate members of the Masada family. Absolutely stunning!

Sounds like I need to hear that.

Date Posted: February 24 2010 at 23:41
Unless you're already a fan of Ben Goldberg, I wouldn't count on it. Whoever writes the descriptions for Tzadik is huffing glue, if not something stronger. Not only is every album awesome, almost every album they release is that artist's best album yet...

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2010 at 11:33

Unless you're already a fan of Ben Goldberg, I wouldn't count on it. Whoever writes the descriptions for Tzadik is huffing glue, if not something stronger. Not only is every album awesome, almost every album they release is that artist's best album yet...

LOL
I noticed that they were over enthusiastic. Nevertheless, I'm still interested.

Date Posted: March 11 2010 at 16:32
Book of Angels Vol. 13 is f**king amazing.

-------------

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: March 11 2010 at 16:39
Listening to In Search Of The Miraculous tonight.

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2010 at 17:16
Please report back I'm on the fence about buying it.

-------------

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 14:50
Still giving it spins. Casual, homogeneous and jazzy, meaning either average or, as stated already, casual. I think o'O last year (the only one I can compared it with at the moment) was worthier.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:21
New albums for March! Zorn's is http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=7380 - Ipos: Book of Angels Vol. 14 , and for me the most interesting thing about it is that the cover is different colors on Tzadik and Amazon, but that may be unfair.

There is also http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=7267 - Ned Rothenberg , which sounds cool to me and reminds me of somebody else who was playing avant jazz with an asian instrument but I can't remember her name (Person, do you remember?); http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=7520 - Jamie Saft , who has recorded quite a few albums for Tzadik and this seems to be more of the same, and http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=8072 - JG Thirlwell , which appears to be a post-punk/industrial musician writing classical music.

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:30
JG Thirwell was the guy behind You've Got Foetus On Your Breath who released a lot of industrial/sampled noise collage thingies in the 80's.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:36

New albums for March! Zorn's is http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=7380 - Ipos: Book of Angels Vol. 14 , and for me the most interesting thing about it is that the cover is different colors on Tzadik and Amazon, but that may be unfair.

There is also http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=7267 - Ned Rothenberg , which sounds cool to me and reminds me of somebody else who was playing avant jazz with an asian instrument but I can't remember her name (Person, do you remember?); http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=7520 - Jamie Saft , who has recorded quite a few albums for Tzadik and this seems to be more of the same, and http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=8072 - JG Thirlwell , which appears to be a post-punk/industrial musician writing classical music.

Do you mean those videos I found? Or something else?

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:37
Yeah, those videos.

Yeah, Lemming, I looked up some Foetus on Youtube. I don't know why somebody like him would be interested in writing 20th century classical music. I also can't imagine it being very good, but that's a separate issue.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:48
If you want, I could try to find those again, but it could take me a while to find them again, I didn't save them.

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 01:28
Oh wait, here they are. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 01:30
I also found a video of Ned Rothenberg on Roulette TV, you can even download it if you want.

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 22:23

Three new albums available, a little leaner than last month. http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=7634 - John Zorn/Fred Frith , http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=8073 - Ned Rothenberg--Quintet for Clarinet and Strings , and http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=8150 - AutorNyo--Pastrami Bagel Social Club . This is only based on the 30 second samples, but Late Works is intriguing because it seems like the studio has focused their efforts more, and Zorn seems particularly aggressive after his string of melody releases. Quintet is a potentially promising classical album, but it's hard to tell, and AutorNyo is *yawn* more klezmer rock.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk