Print Page | Close Window

Genesis inducted into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63589
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 22:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Genesis inducted into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Posted By: rushfan4
Subject: Genesis inducted into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:11
http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?id=17664507&ps=1016&srce=news_class&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_ETNWU00L2_UNEWS - http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?id=17664507&ps=1016&srce=news_class&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_ETNWU00L2_UNEWS

Edit: from the R&RHoF site:  http://www.rockhall.com/induction2010/#Genesis - http://www.rockhall.com/induction2010/#Genesis
Today, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced ABBA, Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges as its 2010 artist inductees. Also being inducted this year as individual recipients of the Ahmet Ertegun Award will be David Geffen and songwriters Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Elle Greenwich, Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell. The ceremony will take place on March 15, 2010 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City and will air live on Fuse, Madison Square Garden’s national music television network, as part of the three-year broadcast deal between the Foundation and Fuse.

“We are very happy to present this year’s inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as they represent a great cross-section of artists that define the broad spectrum and history of rock and roll and people that have contributed immeasurably to our business” says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation President & CEO Joel Peresman.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: The Runaway
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:15
FINALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY

-------------
http://www.formspring.me/Aragorn224" rel="nofollow - Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:45
The rub is that they are most likely being inducted for the post Gabriel material instead of the progressive rock albums that get all of the praise here on PA.  The fact that Gabriel was a member and that they released all those album with him, will probably just be a footnote on their plaque.

-------------

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:48
It'll be interesting to see who gets up on stage,as I think that half of them don't care about the hall of fame.

After that, who could get up & jam with Genesis ? "O.K., Peter & Phil have re-learned most of the lyrics to Supper's Ready between them, and we'll play most of it, except the apocalypse in 9/8, because we don't want any possible tie-in with the film 2012."

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 11:06
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The rub is that they are most likely being inducted for the post Gabriel material instead of the progressive rock albums that get all of the praise here on PA.  The fact that Gabriel was a member and that they released all those album with him, will probably just be a footnote on their plaque.

Yeah, I rather doubt that Genesis was inducted based on its Prog credentials, but, on the plus side, ABBA was inducted for its prog-related credentials ;)

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Steven in Atlanta
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 13:24
Wonder if fellow inductees Abba, the Stooges and the Hollies will all join in on the finale of Supper's Ready? Kidding, of course.

Posted By: Nightshine
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 13:31
How many bad bands have to be inducted into the hall of fame?

I don't even think it should be considered the RRHOF anymore, but renamed "the bands that we really really like building"

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 13:35
No....

there must be some misunderstanding.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:08
Good news....I hope that this makes a good excuse for an original Genesis reunion...
+David Geffen was inducted too...Geffen Records released albums by Peter Gabriel, Asia (so...we can blame him for that ), Pat Metheny, Elton John, Sigur Rós, John Wetton, etc.

Two prog-related inductions this year!

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:22
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

No....

I always thought that song was some kind of mistake.  Probably brought them some much needed cash though.

Not to discourage those exploring the old stuff for the first time, but I am so not impressed with them being inducted into the R & R HoF,  I am not particularly impressed with Genesis these days, and least impressive of all is anyone being inducted into the R & R HoF.   Lots of carp/crap.  Some good artists to be sure, but I'd rather visit Graceland.  Not having been to the R & R HoF, it smells of tourist trap for  me. 

By the way, I am curious to the opinions of those who have actually visited there.  Graceland as well.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:28
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

No....

I always thought that song was some kind of mistake.  Probably brought them some much needed cash though.

Not to discourage those exploring the old stuff for the first time, but I am so not impressed with them being inducted into the R & R HoF,  I am not particularly impressed with Genesis these days, and least impressive of all is anyone being inducted into the R & R HoF.   Lots of carp/crap.  Some good artists to be sure, but I'd rather visit Graceland.  Not having been to the R & R HoF, it smells of tourist trap for  me. 

By the way, I am curious to the opinions of those who have actually visited there.  Graceland as well.
I went there a couple of years ago, and it was both interesting and disappointing.  When I was there they had two floors dedicated to The Who's Tommy, so I found that to be quite interesting.  They show a pretty neat video which touches on all of the members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and many of them leave you shaking your head saying either "who?" or "why?"

-------------

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 15:19
Does that mean that YES may be next!!!???

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 15:58
Originally posted by Clepsydra Clepsydra wrote:

Does that mean that YES may be next!!!???

I think Rush has a better shot, but I won't hold my breath.

Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 16:41
Can I get a "who cares".....?

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 16:42
I guess that is better than a "Who Dunnit?"

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:11
Woo I suppose.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:33
Rush, Kiss, Yes ???

They were all big in the 70s, maintained a decent level of success in the 80s & 90s, and are still going concerns with dedicated fan bases.

And none are in the hall of fame. I don't suggest a general poll, but most Rock fans would have chosen more apt & deserving acts. The critics do deserve their say, as there are many a musical act that never got the acclaim due their influence or importance in the whole scene.

But too often, choices are made that seem like a case of straining for artistic credibility of Rock music as a form of high art. Rock music - the anti-establishment music ! Striving to establish itself as "important".

It'd be great to have had John Lydon & Frank Zappa up on the podium giving a lengthy speech as to what is wrong with that !

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:58
The only problem is that they're getting included for Abacab and Invisible Touch ... not Foxtrot and The Lamb.

Oh well...

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: mrcozdude
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 18:35
LOL I shudder to think of the clips they'll show

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/cozfunkel/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:01

Satan is Freezing today big time. Wink

I do like the verbiage that the R&R HOF placed on their page about Genesis:
Almost no group in rock history has had such a long and varied career as Genesis, who began as a cult art-rock band in England in the late 1960’s and went on to pack stadiums across the globe in the 1980’s, 1990’s and on their 2007 reunion tour. In the early 1970’s frontman Peter Gabriel shocked audiences and grabbed headlines by taking the stages in outrageous costumes and occasionally even levitating above the audience. Their music was equally innovative, and early albums Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway are two of the most acclaimed prog-rock albums in the history of the genre. In 1975 Gabriel left the band to pursue a solo career and drummer Phil Collins stepped out from behind the kit to take over. The band experienced many more hits and successful worldwide tours over the next 30 years.

I also understand the five main players have been invited to perform. You can find some quotes form Tony Banks commenting on that.  

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:22
^ thanks Brian, I knew they were being recognized for their whole output.. jeez you people are a cynical and negative bunch-- never assume anything, you'll be much better off

Posted By: Misomex777
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:35
AngryAngryAngryAngryWhere is Yes?AngryAngryAngry

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:49
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ thanks Brian, I knew they were being recognized for their whole output.. jeez you people are a cynical and negative bunch-- never assume anything, you'll be much better off

Were just being realistic.

I'm sure they'll skim the first five years.

But the last part is very true

-------------

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 21:03
Finally!  Too band R & R Hall of Fame sucks anyways.  It's probably based on the fact that they sold a lot of records during the 80's.Disapprove

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 00:33
I never thought of ABBA as rock.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 00:35
Originally posted by Misomex777 Misomex777 wrote:

I agree. Yes probably should be on here before Genesis, because even "Roundabout" get's played more than "Mama," and Yes never really went all that pop, an still has tons of recognition.

Also, I got insanely pissed that Deep Purple's not in there yet. Except for Led Zep or the Who, there is no other quintessential rock and roll band.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 00:45
Originally posted by Tarquin Underspoon Tarquin Underspoon wrote:

Who cares!

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 05:46
Originally posted by Misomex777 Misomex777 wrote:

I'm sure they'll get around to Yes, but let's face it, these goobers responsible for inductions are a little slow.

Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 11:49
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Were just being realistic.

I'm sure they'll skim the first five years.

But the last part is very true

Actually. if you read the statement carefully they talk way more about the Gabriel years than the Collins years.  The only two albums mentioned are Selling England and The Lamb and they state that these are two of the most prolific albums in the prog-rock genre. 
\What more do you want? 

All five of the classic lineup were invited to play. It is up to them if they want to or not.  But if they decide to have another band play for them they should choose the Musical Box imho.

I know to be fair that King Crimson should have been the first Prog band in but I am not sure they meet the sales criteria of the induction requirements.  However Yes, Rush, Kansas, ELP and Jethro Tull do.  So I think it is just a matter of time and maybe when all of those bands are in they will honor KC as the first by its influence.

-------------

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 12:06
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Who cares!
Here's another " Who Cares ".

-------------

Posted By: akiko
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 13:05
That ABBA song was pretty good...

Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 13:14
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Who cares!
Here's another " Who Cares ".

The only reason to care is that it brings publicity not just to Genesis but the the prog rock genre and maybe help a few modern prog bands stay afloat . That is it.

-------------

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 13:59

LOL I shudder to think of the clips they'll show

One can only hope that they play "Illegal Alien".  Big smile

Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 15:43
maybe Land of Confusion . that would seem a nice bridge between the prog & pop Genesis

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 21:16
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

maybe Land of Confusion . that would seem a nice bridge between the prog & pop Genesis

I like that one.  Nice video. Big smile

Posted By: Arbiter
Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 14:36

Actually. if you read the statement carefully they talk way more about the Gabriel years than the Collins years.  The only two albums mentioned are Selling England and The Lamb and they state that these are two of the most prolific albums in the prog-rock genre. 
\What more do you want? 

All five of the classic lineup were invited to play. It is up to them if they want to or not.  But if they decide to have another band play for them they should choose the Musical Box imho.

There needs to be an RRHOF, although it will be impossible to please everyone.  Recognition is always better than obscurity.

Kudos to mrcozdude for defending the Hall. Let's give the Hall a little more credit. This site is often too negative.

-------------
"Some things have to be believed to be seen."
-Ralph Hodgson

Posted By: TheCaptain
Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 14:51
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

No....

As a Clevelander I believe I have been there twice. The first time when I was young and hadn't heard of any of the bands in there and the second time was when I was starting to get into prog. I was bored most of the time but there were some exhibits that would definitely have been neat if I were interested in the bands. The only exhibit I remember had a bunch of different Madonna costumes from different times in her career.

I will make a trip there sometime in 2010 to look at the Genesis exhibit and will report back with pictures.

-------------
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 15:08
Should you manage to survive your mission we are looking forward to your report.  If not, get off as many pictures as you can before your head explodes.

Seriously though, I'm really not an Elvis fan at all, yet Graceland was an interesting experience.  A nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there as they say.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 02:38
I hate to think of artists I like being in the RnRHoF. It makes me cringe to think of some of the company they have to keep there.

Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 03:10
Originally posted by Arbiter Arbiter wrote:

\What more do you want? 

There needs to be an RRHOF, although it will be impossible to please everyone.  Recognition is always better than obscurity.

Kudos to mrcozdude for defending the Hall. Let's give the Hall a little more credit. This site is often too negative.

As much as I want to take credit for defending it.I didn't.

That was Garion81 & Atavachron

-------------

Posted By: sturoc1
Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 09:10
Well I've been there for an afternoon and have also worked on a bunch of Genesis shows over the years.

They are all good guys, making a living doing what they love . Touring gets tedious like any job. Record company pressure is always heavy too although they do have some clout as  opposed to other bands.
While they did head into another style of music driven perhaps by Phil C. the remaining trio stayed together till Phil left.
I did not like the music they did after Duke and beyond. being  die Hard progressive afficonado that's just my preference.

As for the RR HOF it's futuristic building design is cool , But I found that inside displays were a bit haphazad and not too in depth.There were no special exhibits going on at the time.
After the initial inductees and subsequents I wasn't too impressed with the induction process and who  was getting in.
and of course funnel everyone into the gift shop on the way out, that placed looked like any other cd music shop anywhere else.

Date Posted: December 23 2009 at 16:28
^ Actually they stayed together after Phil Collins left and put an album out with Ray Wilson and Nick Divirgilio and others called Calling All Stations.

-------------

Posted By: halabalushindigus
Date Posted: December 24 2009 at 01:14
Look!  there's Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett along with Mike, Phil and Tony,  They should all be there at the induction, I hope. Maybe they'll play "Firth Of Fifth" and not "Pinball Wizard" like they did for the encore on the "Mama" tour LOL Chester and Darryl should be there too.

-------------

assume the power 1586/14.3

Posted By: sturoc1
Date Posted: December 24 2009 at 09:10
Sorry for my typing error Garion81
 as I  put in  trio instead of " guys stayed stayed together after Phil left"
I was writing fast.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 15:27
mama mia!

Date Posted: December 30 2009 at 16:36
Originally posted by sturoc1 sturoc1 wrote:

Sorry for my typing error Garion81
 as I  put in  trio instead of " guys stayed stayed together after Phil left"
I was writing fast.

No problem. I type badly most of the time.   Smile

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: January 03 2010 at 15:39
Something of a short, http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/80367557.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ - "I-kind-of-know-what-I'm-talking-about-but-I-really-don't" article rated to Genesis being included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: January 03 2010 at 19:08
Taken from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame website:

"Almost no group in rock history has had such a long and varied career as Genesis, who began as a cult art-rock band in England in the late 1960’s and went on to pack stadiums across the globe in the 1980’s, 1990’s and on their 2007 reunion tour. In the early 1970’s frontman Peter Gabriel shocked audiences and grabbed headlines by taking the stages in outrageous costumes and occasionally even levitating above the audience. Their music was equally innovative, and early albums Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway are two of the most acclaimed prog-rock albums in the history of the genre. In 1975 Gabriel left the band to pursue a solo career and drummer Phil Collins stepped out from behind the kit to take over. The band experienced many more hits and successful worldwide tours over the next 30 years."

They actually put more emphasis in the Peter Gabriel era!!!! I am shocked!

%20 - http://www.rockhall.com/induction2010/#Genesis

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk