URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63594
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 04:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Can You Believe it?
Posted By: moshkito
Subject: Can You Believe it?
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:24
Hi,

In another board .. someone called this stuff -- the progressive and experimental -- a bunch of "bleeps, bloops and flatulence" ...

I know that Roger Waters and Ron Geesin have abused the priviledge on one song ... but thought it highly unfair to call a lot of the stuff that we love so dearly ... by terms that better fit pop music and hit radio, than it would ever fit anything that we talk about in here!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Replies:
Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

In another board .. someone called this stuff -- the progressive and experimental -- a bunch of "bleeps, bloops and flatulence" ...

I know that Roger Waters and Ron Geesin have abused the priviledge on one song ... but thought it highly unfair to call a lot of the stuff that we love so dearly ... by terms that better fit pop music and hit radio, than it would ever fit anything that we talk about in here!

I think said person is thinking of fart rock.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:34
Oh, don't worry, someone who lives on my floor here at college claims that none of the stuff I listen to is music at all.  

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:39
Let him rot and decay in the eternal silent agony of blissful ignorance. 

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:40
I fart in anyone's general direction with a large expellation of flatulent gas who thinks that calling something flatulent is really clever criticism, unless the music is actually composed or improvised with actual flatulism.  I have not heard this stuff as far as I know, but I'm pretty sure my criticism is accurate. 

I'd recommend keeping to this site as our critical flatuism is of a much better quality.  bleeps, bloop bleeps, bloop,bleeps, bloop.   Oh dear, our  critic has crapped his pants. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 14:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Hi,

LOL
I literally laughed out loud at this reply.

Posted By: LandofLein
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:29
I guess we'll have to beat him to death with our chapman sticks and mellotrons!

(This comment sounds strangely familiar, so my apologies to whomever said it first) 

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:40
whoa ... mindless criticism on the internet ... wait, I'm just getting up from being knowckd down. I can;t ecen spill progerly ...Clown

God only knows no one at PA has ever written anything remotely denigrating about other people's music.
O.K., maybe a few , like &,$,%,,#@,!(,*,&,%,^, ... all names changed to protect me until I blow up real good.

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 19:11
said person should walk the plank! and sink to the bottom of the ocean or a bottumless pitt to the realm of kraken and get Poseidons curse over him.

Posted By: weetabix
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 19:17
Music from the Body.... on Harvest Records no doubt?

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 19:51
Meh, I ignore comments like this. I find prog easier to listen to than mindless Top 40 pop. I find THAT stuff difficult to listen to, totally fake and without artistic merit, and non-musical. 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 20:25

Hi,

The Butthole Surfers, perhaps?

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 06:41
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Hi,

The Butthole Surfers, perhaps?

There´s a guy out there right now getting famous for his rendition of Queen´s "Bohemian Rhapsody" played in hand-flatulens. If that isn´t prog what is?LOL
I am quite the melodic farter myself. I do a nice impression of the theme from "The good, the bad and the ugly".

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 10:26

Hi,

I agree with the love so dearly comment. Ron Geesin scored a lot for hit radio. Jingles and various soundtrack efforts through the years proved him to be a diverse musician. Music From the Body was more interesting for a listen or two at the time of it's release. Various Ron Geesin back catalog releases are much more enjoyable musically. He was a fantastic player. Nylon string classical, banjo, whatever. Roger Waters Several Spieces Of Small Furry Animals is a Geesin duplicate in composition. Demented, errie and disturbing to the flesh sockets above your head.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 13:39
There was a French bloke who used to sing by farting. I can't for the life of me remember his name, but the late great Leonard Rossiter played him in a film.

Unfortunately, he lived in the ages prior to prog, so covers of Floyd, Genesis et al to the sound of a reverberating fart were not availableCry

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: December 16 2009 at 13:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

There was a French bloke who used to sing by farting. I can't for the life of me remember his name, but the late great Leonard Rossiter played him in a film.

Unfortunately, he lived in the ages prior to prog, so covers of Floyd, Genesis et al to the sound of a reverberating fart were not availableCry

That's not something we're really proud of... Now, we evolved and sing by belching. That's a bit classier.

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 13:15
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

He was Joseph Pujol, known as Le Petomane (this was also the title of the excellent Rossiter film). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9tomane - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9tomane

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 14:04
Originally posted by weetabix weetabix wrote:

Music from the Body.... on Harvest Records no doubt?

Yep ... "Our Song" .... a classic ... should be played more often and is on my top ten ... I really want to play that between Staiway to Heaven and Layla!  ... it should get a few hairs excited!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Synchestra
Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 22:07
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

said person should walk the plank! and sink to the bottom of the ocean or a bottumless pitt to the realm of kraken and get Poseidons curse over him.
The Topographic Ocean? How fitting Smile

-------------
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: December 19 2009 at 23:21
It's kind of sad that you care so much about what other people think of the useless sounds you prefer to listen to...

-------------

Posted By: Fists
Date Posted: December 20 2009 at 17:06
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I fart in anyone's general direction with a large expellation of flatulent gas who thinks that calling something flatulent is really clever criticism, unless the music is actually composed or improvised with actual flatulism.  I have not heard this stuff as far as I know, but I'm pretty sure my criticism is accurate. 

I'd recommend keeping to this site as our critical flatuism is of a much better quality.  bleeps, bloop bleeps, bloop,bleeps, bloop.   Oh dear, our  critic has crapped his pants. Tongue
What about By-Tor and the snow dog? I'm celebrating rush day right now, first one I've remembered.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 17:23
I seems that those folks don't like prog rock at all. I wonder what do they listen to and what makes them think is so good? the fact is, progressive music is only for peop[le who enjoy listening to music, music which is written to be carefuly and attentively listen to, not just a catchy tune to dance to. 

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 17:46
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2365/2361152565_7b829911d3.jpg

Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 19:18

Quote ... I'd recommend keeping to this site as our critical flatuism is of a much better quality.  bleeps, bloop bleeps, bloop,bleeps, bloop.   Oh dear, our  critic has crapped his pants. Tongue ...

Goodness ... are we getting old or something?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 09:57
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I seems that those folks don't like prog rock at all. I wonder what do they listen to and what makes them think is so good? the fact is, progressive music is only for peop[le who enjoy listening to music, music which is written to be carefuly and attentively listen to, not just a catchy tune to dance to. 

Yes, when I want to dance , I put on AC/DC or Dave Matthews. Clown

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk