Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6377
Printed Date: May 13 2024 at 21:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bad singer
Posted By: KeyserSoze
Subject: Bad singer
Date Posted: May 19 2005 at 19:07

Multiple votes allowed, guys  You can list some I forgot. No flames please, I like some listed singers but people's taste differs

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 19 2005 at 19:11
I dont think any of them are really bad....but I voted for Hamill, that should piss people off

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: May 19 2005 at 19:39
I'm there with you man!

Posted By: frenchie
Date Posted: May 19 2005 at 21:39
pain of salvation

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: billyshears'67
Date Posted: May 19 2005 at 23:24
Damn you frenchie for having an opinion! Naw, my apologies. I'm just an agressively ardent admirer of PAIN OF SALVATION. But seriously, how did you surmise an outcome such as that?

Off that list they're all good singers. Way better than anybody on this forum I bet but, I've seen DREAM THEATER live and James Labrie is a bit incoherent in his high range.

Peace & take care (especially you frenchie, for you will need many a blessing)

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 03:42
Peter Gabriel.

Posted By: Mategra
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 04:29
Peter Nicholls

Posted By: muffley_mirkin
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 05:44
Voted for LaBrie as he is the weak link in Dream Theater. But the worst
singer is Cedric something from Mars Volta. Urgh....

Posted By: Carakhallo
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 07:08
It is strange... Jon Anderson, Peter Hammill and Peter Gabriel haven´t got good voices...but they fit PERFECTLY in prog music. They are the best. And it happens with many other singers. One fantastic thing of prog is that it is more important to have an original (it must sound cool) than a good voice.

Posted By: Progger
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 07:35
Between Geddy Lee & Gildenglow

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 08:43
Originally posted by muffley_mirkin muffley_mirkin wrote:

But the worst
singer is Cedric something from Mars Volta. Urgh....

He's actually the best.

Posted By: Yurkspb
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 09:04

None is "bad" but Fish doesn't impress me at all.

Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 09:23

peter hamill

barry palmer

radiohead's

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Posted By: The Prognaut
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 14:51

Oh God... this poll is incontrovertible indeed! Geedy Lee all the way... although I was tempted to cast my vote to LaBrie

-------------
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead

Posted By: Mr. Krinkle
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 14:52
Geddy Lee, he is sooo bad...

Posted By: koolboee cdmo87
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 16:20

I won't vote, because I'm not well familiar with all of the choices.

I have to support two people on there... James LaBrie and Roger Waters. LaBrie can definitely sound awful sometimes, but when he's got the ball rolling he's amazing. I don't know DT that well but his vocal work on The Human Equation is awesome, apart from a few lines that sound kind of annoying. Roger Waters sounds horrid live a lot, but he can also pull off some great vocals... The Final Cut probably being his best. "Every Stranger's Eyes" is really nice, too.

I can't say I like Steven Wilson's voice all that much.

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: May 21 2005 at 15:16

James LaBrie all the way. Live, his voice grates my ears often. He's fine on record, but the true test of a singer is their skill live.

And no, Geddy Lee is not a bad singer....he's just.....different.

Posted By: alchemist
Date Posted: May 22 2005 at 22:00
PETER GABRIEL HOW THE HELL CAN U SAY THAT!!!!!!!!if thats ur opinion I respect it but back it up man!

-------------
no great genius has existed without a touch of madness...

Date Posted: May 22 2005 at 22:16

Are you talking to me, Alchemist?

I wrote "No flames please, I like some listed singers but people's taste differs" and yes, I actually like Peter Gabriel's voice. But I know some don't like him and as you can see, he's gotten six votes.

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: May 22 2005 at 23:36

Worst:

• LaBrie
  • Geddy Lee
  • The Gentle Giant Guy

Best:

• Gabriel
  • Phil Collins
  • Anderson (Ian)
  • Anderson (Jon)
  • Greg Lake

-------------

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 00:13

When it comes to the 3 basses... (should be a Vegas act)  Greg Lake has the perfect voice, Roger Water's the so-so voice, and Geddy Lee... well its just bottom of the barrel, but he tries really hard.

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: Philrod
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 05:28

Geddy Lee... brrrr

Roger Waters is quite bad too, especially compared to David Gilmour

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Philrod/?chartstyle=Geldropdown-small">

Posted By: Hiwatter
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 06:30
Geddy Lee - he abolutely ruins music for me with those high pitched screaming.

Posted By: the dragon
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 06:51
James LaBrie

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 07:41
Definitely Labrie - adequate in the studio, but on stage.... I have a few live CDs of theirs and a few DVDs, too, and I've seen them a couple of times; at no time on stage does Labrie rise above embarrassing squawking.

It makes one wonder how he has lasted so long with DT.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 13:07

Labrie got my vote on this one, as although I like DT, he can't cut it live.... if you listen to the last CD of New York and Budokan, he sings the whole side in one long monotone note, because his voice has gone...

He was closely followed by Arena's Rob Sowden in this list, who has a very limited vocal range, but my vote (if he had been listed) would have gone to Alan Reed of Pallas... who has absolutely no vocal range at all!!!

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 15:17
LaBrie

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 19:11

No way LaBrie is better than Hammill, Waters and even Geddy Lee!  What a bogus poll!

Seriously, when I hear LaBrie sing I contemplate suicide.  Or at least deafening myself.  God, he sucks so much.  Whiner.

-------------

Posted By: eriksalkeld
Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 22:34
is totally stupid to let people vote more than once, then this poll becomes absolutely useless... i went for LaBrie

-------------
Autenticidad, actitud, pluralidad, espiritu e inteligencia, si es prog bien, si no, tambien.

Posted By: Sir Realist
Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 16:07
OK. Glad to see how this poll is going. So, what do you think the chances
are that we could see a series of Rush remixes with Geddy's voice digitally
expunged? Then we could send Geddy and Jon Anderson off to sing duets
in Madagascar.

-------------
I can have double standards, and you can't

Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 22:57
eriksalkeld: No, it isn't useless because I didn't ask who is the worst. I asked who is a bad singer and you could vote for more than one singer from that list. I consider some singers on the list as good singers but people can have a different opinion. I hope not many people will cheat selecting one singer more times...

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 01:20
Please dont do that... peter hamill`s voice is great, is different ... but all of you whats wrong... his voice is not bad!!!1

Posted By: Soulman
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 02:04
Beefheart...duh.. Geez

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: May 30 2005 at 18:12
Definitely NOT LaBrie!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: May 30 2005 at 18:41
Anyone who lists Peter Hammill as bad singer has never heard what he really can do. And I am not talking of the extreme singing he often deals out which certainly is not everybodies cup of tea. But the man can sing absolutely beautifully. Let me relate something that happened on a Peter Hammill concert in Bochum: He had given 5 encores, and the roadies had already started to dismount the stage, yet still the audience wanted more. Then Hammill came back on stage, a towel around the shoulders, advanced to the front of the stage and sang "Again" in an absolutely beautiful voice, without mic. The whole audience was completely silent, but when he had finished the applause thundered.
What many don't like about his singing though is that when he doesn't sing of beautiful things his voice sounds the same as what he sings about, so I understand why many hate him. But he can sing completely different, and one should take the time to hear this side of him too. But saying he cannot sing is completely off the mark

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Captain Squib
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 14:22
can't stand Geddy Lee!

Not keen on Phil Collins either, but WOW! what a drummer!

-------------
He who stands on toilet must be high on pot!

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 14:57
None of them - it's a matter of taste

Posted By: HaroldLand
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 15:33
i really dont like peter gabriel's voice.. i mean, i can stand it enough to listen to genesis, but i dunno, it sounds like he tries too hard sometimes

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 16:24

some of the people says in this poll that labrie´s voice is really bad... but in the other poll, where ask for our votes for the best voice, some people choose labrie´s voice too!!

can you decide??

is good or bad?' non twice

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 16:27
none of the above- i thought this was a prog site- guess not. Geddy rocks- your all morons if you said he is "really bad" ----wow

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 16:33

Drew!

Chill out!

I'm a huge Rush fan and I agree that Geddy Lee is a good singer, but he sure aint for everyone, and people dont qualify as morons for not liking him.

I've never heard the guy from Pain of Salvation, but he can have my vote as his band has a crap name...

IMO...

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: The Prognaut
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 17:07

Geddy Lee along James LaBrie

-------------
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 19:06

Geddy Lee's here but no Kerry Minnear?!  What a biased poll!

Posted By: rushlady2112
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 19:10

OK, folks dissing Geddy Lee - let's hear you tackle some Rush tunes in his range!

He's one of those singers you either love or hate unfortunately.  My dad likens his voice to a chicken on steroids - LOL!

I, for one, LOVE Ged's voice - unique, crisp, and great range!  You GO Ged!

-------------
The more that things change, the more they stay the same.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Posted By: eriksalkeld
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 19:21
KeyserSoze

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 2005 25 May at 10:57pm | IP Logged Report Post http://www.progarchives.com/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=139547&TPN=2">Quote KeyserSoze

eriksalkeld: No, it isn't useless because I didn't ask who is the worst. I asked who is a bad singer and you could vote for more than one singer from that list. I consider some singers on the list as good singers but people can have a different opinion. I hope not many people will cheat selecting one singer more times...

that's what I meant, people voting more than once for 1 singer.

I hope the exact thing ...

-------------
Autenticidad, actitud, pluralidad, espiritu e inteligencia, si es prog bien, si no, tambien.

Posted By: Fragile
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 19:48
There are some imbiciles on here of late and I do mean imbiciles they should not be allowed space on here.Hammill is possibly the best singer ever.If you know nothing of vocals you really should shut totally up.Have you ever sung? Do you know what it's like to be able to go from one note to another effortlesly.Can you imagine how great it is to do what you want without thinking?If you truly believe this great man cannot sing then you do not belong on this site.You should be trolling your asinine comments  elsewhere ,if you are prog minded then God help you.And skip Imo if you cannot recognise vocal genius then you have serious musical problems.And do not come back about personal taste; your ears must have been handgrenaded 

Posted By: kirklott
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 19:57

The poll is missing a lot of worse singers - I can't tell you how many prog bands make great music but have a terrible singer.

Puppet Show comes to mind - sometimes the singer is good, but sometimes he sounds like Axl Rose bustin' veins in his neck.

And any band that sounds like Yes has a horrible singer - there's no substitute for Jon at higher octaves.

-------------
"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin

Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 03:08

rushlady2112

I agree. His voice may be an acquired taste, but it is a good voice nonetheless, in terms of tuning, power and clarity. It got better as he got older and his balls eventually dropped

From Moving Pictures onward, in particular I thought it was a genuinley good voice

BTW ALL: Is anyone else having trouble replying with quote??? On several different PC's I've had this problem in recent days. Thats why I didn't respond with quote to rushlady...

-------------

Posted By: Amon
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 04:20
La Brie, definitely.

-------------
Reinvent the wheel

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 07:57
Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

There are some imbiciles on here of late and I do mean imbiciles they should not be allowed space on here.Hammill is possibly the best singer ever.If you know nothing of vocals you really should shut totally up.Have you ever sung? Do you know what it's like to be able to go from one note to another effortlesly.Can you imagine how great it is to do what you want without thinking?If you truly believe this great man cannot sing then you do not belong on this site.You should be trolling your asinine comments  elsewhere ,if you are prog minded then God help you.And skip Imo if you cannot recognise vocal genius then you have serious musical problems.And do not come back about personal taste; your ears must have been handgrenaded

I can only support this, though my choice of words would be different. One may not like his voice or the way he uses it, but saying he has a bad one is simply lunatic.

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 08:02

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Fragile wrote:

I can only support this, though my choice of words would be different. One may not like his voice or the way he uses it, but saying he has a bad one is simply lunatic.

I can only add what Rober Fripp, guitar player of King Crimson, said about Peter Hammill: "What Jimi Hendrix did for the guitar, Peter Hammill did for the voice". Amen to that!

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: proger
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 08:15

how can guys say that pete hammill is  a bad singer?!... i dont knnow...

i will say Daniel Gildenlow, he is just to much...

Posted By: ShrinkingViolet
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 08:50
Baldefriede,BaldJean I sort of apologise for my almost vitriolic out burst. I love great vocalists and he Hammill is one of the best plus I had partaken of quite alot of alcohol last night.But here in Scotland they say a drunk man is an honest man

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 09:03
Drew

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 2005 23 June at 4:27pm | IP Logged Report Post http://www.progarchives.com/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=614459&TPN=2">Quote Drew

none of the above- i thought this was a prog site- guess not. Geddy rocks- your all morons if you said he is "really bad" ----wow

I agree with the above except for the 'morons' comment. All of the above can annoy me at one point or other, but none of them are bad singers.

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Posted By: Fragile
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 12:09
Yikes i was that drunk I didn't notice my precious daughter was logged in on my blast about Hammill

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 12:20
im lucky for liking Geddy's voice- I get to enjoy rush all the more- I think the singers from system of a down are the worst- and Maynard is really starting to annoy the hell out of me- down with tool!

Posted By: Cygnus
Date Posted: July 14 2005 at 04:52

OK LEE ISN´T EXACTLLY THE DEFINITION OF TEHNICAL VOICE BUT I CANT IMAGINE ANY SONG OF RUSH WITH ANOTHER SINGER.

I VOTE LA BRIE BECOUSE SOMETIMES HE IS SO NON EMOTIONAL AND TOO MUCH FOR ME

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 14 2005 at 04:54

Let's put it this way: Geddy Lee's voice doesn't really make me happy  .

Posted By: Hammill
Date Posted: July 14 2005 at 05:33
how can someone vote peter hammill? he has a unique voice and the same goes for peter grabriel. they are my fave singers...anyway taste is taste...i like all of the above singers but if i had to choose one as the 'worst' i'd choose geddy lee.

-------------

Posted By: daghrastubfari
Date Posted: July 15 2005 at 08:11
Sometimes I really can't stand  Jon Anderson's  voice.  Yet sometimes it is beautiful, but other times he reminds me of a smurf. Maybe I listen to the wrong songs of Yes...

Posted By: Maike
Date Posted: July 15 2005 at 08:24
None of the singers in the list are bad singers, but c'mon ... Peter Gabriel?
He has the most amazing voice in prog/pop history. How can anyone vote
him as a bad singer?

From that list I would choose Roger Waters. Hes not a bad singer. Even in
vintage PF albuns the singing was almost done by Guilmour or Wright. He
told in interviews that he didnt like to hear his voice on tape. Only in
animals and the wall he started to feel confident.

But he's not a bad singer.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: July 15 2005 at 13:26

I think Geddy Lee has a very annoying voice sometimes, so i voted for him.

BTW, In the first edition of the 'Rolling Stone Record Guide' from 1979, it says: "He Sounds like a cross between Donald Duck and Robert Plant". LOL!

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 15 2005 at 14:03

Oh C'mon guys, all these guys are at least GREAT talent-wise, don't go heavily on Geddy Lee and James Labrie because these two have a load of talent.

Just try singing like them!

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: July 17 2005 at 22:00

First af all let me just say that none of them sing bad. I voted for Roger Waters and now Im kinda sorry I did. And all thouse people who critizise Greddy Lee...come on you guys, he does not sing that bad...I actually like his voice in albums like Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves. But I can´t believe that there were some put Jon Anderson or Peter Gabriel...WHAT THE HELL MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! We are talking about maybe the 2 most important prog singers!!! And also Hmmil. Well I understand why so many people dislike Hammils voice...when I first started listeting to Van der..(you know the rest) I could not satnd Hammils voice...but now...I think its one of the best and with most expretion voice there is.

But any way, I think this kinda polls where you put "the best" are really stupid. I think it should be the siger you dont like the most...not the worst...what is worst for some is the best for others...think about that you Hammil haters!!!!

jejejeje peace...prog on!

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 04:48
I voted for Peter Hammill after consulting the 'B.B.C. lexicon of teen speak' , which suggests that 'bad' does not mean rubbish/crap/useless, but actually means very good.Viewed  from this  perspective this poll makes more sense.

BTW, if anyone says you're  'chung' means you're incredibly sexy, and if they want to 'crump' you then run away...

Now I know why my teenage children say i'm 'hanging'

-------------
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005

Posted By: CRIMSONFROST
Date Posted: July 21 2005 at 18:45
HORRIBLE SQUEAKY VOICE THE REAL PITS

-------------
Scott c Wills

Posted By: Ethereal
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 08:48
I obviously voted for LaBrie, he goes way up and can't support it. Somebody tell him he's NOT Halford!

Another one I'd love to vote for is the world's favourite, Geoff Tate .. it seems that everybody loves him but me, in fact, I can't stand him screaming in my ear, please have mercy, you are out of range!

So, when are we gonna do a favourites poll?

-------------
http://www.etherealstatus.info - http://www.etherealstatus.com

Posted By: Alfi
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 17:18
i think no one of those can really be a bad singer but Roger Water comes closest to what i consider a "bad singer" so my vote  goes for him. (i still think that his vocal work on Shine On is Great but the problem is that i've heard many live records where he was allowed to use a microphone)

Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 05:21

I dont regard any of those as 'bad' singers. Some have a unique style that is not everyones cup of Jack Daniels, but thats down to ones own taste.

I have not heard Gildenlow, though. Are Pain of Salvation actually a prog band, or a heavy metal band with long songs, a few odd time signatures and wierd lyrics about tortured souls, the agony of personal sacrifice etc..???

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk