Print Page | Close Window

Rush...New material may not be in album format

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64339
Printed Date: July 26 2024 at 22:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rush...New material may not be in album format
Posted By: Drew
Subject: Rush...New material may not be in album format
Date Posted: January 13 2010 at 23:16
From Blabbermouth.net:

RUSH drummer Neil Peart tells http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/entertainment/breakingnews/81352797.html - The Canadian Press that the band's next musical output may not come in the form of a traditional album.

Peart says that he has begun writing lyrics for a new project, but that the band feels "liberated" in a way from the album format.

He says RUSH might release a few songs immediately after recording them, and then release more once they're ready.

Peart's new rock version of "The Hockey Theme" — the iconic song that used to open "Hockey Night in Canada" telecasts — will debut tomorrow during TSN's broadcast of the Toronto-Philadelphia game.

Peart's version of "The Hockey Theme" will be used during select NHL on TSN broadcasts throughout the remainder of the NHL season. It will also be available for digital download on iTunes on Tuesday, January 19.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=133370 - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=133370

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 01:41
Hopefully they won't do that, album is a format that needs to be preserved.

But anyway, it's great that they're at work again.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 06:51
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

I agree entirely.

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 07:00
I'm sure they're going to continue making albums after this.

Posted By: The Runaway
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 07:46
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

I agree entirely.

+2

-------------
http://www.formspring.me/Aragorn224" rel="nofollow - Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.

Posted By: Anderson III
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 08:31

IMO: the album was fun when it lasted. I'm ready to move on...

-------------
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 09:23
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

I agree entirely.

Add me to that list of album lovers!
I HATE mp3's & downloads!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 09:34
Me too.  I much prefer the album format to random search and find single released tunes.

-------------

Posted By: Anguiad
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 15:33
I wonder if today's youth will give a damn about Rush. Most of their fanbase are album buyers. Hopefully they'll realise that later.

-------------
"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."

Posted By: SgtPepper67
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 15:52
:( I'm an album lover too. I really don't get much satisfaction by listening to an individual songs in general, it can't be compared with the experience of listening to a whole album. I don't really care if they want to release one song at a time or whatever, but I would like the end result to be a complete album and not just a bunch of unrelated songs.

-------------

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 16:33
I refuse to spend my hard earned money in a file

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 16:47
Doesn't bother me much - I get most of my music in MP3 format these days. I just never could get too romantic about a metal disc and plastic case.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Eapo_q42
Date Posted: January 14 2010 at 16:47
I'm a HUGE album guy. I've never downloaded music, legally or otherwise. I have a shelf with hundreds and hundreds of cds, from many genres.

But we better get ready and stop kidding ourelves, folks. The digital revolution is happening, and as scary as it seems, albums will be gone before our lifetimes are over.

Very, very sad, but unfortunately true. 

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: January 15 2010 at 04:07
Right move from Rush's marketing department but I doubt their sales department is happy unless they are adding this new product to the usual album product.

They are not the the first movers in this area, NIne Inch Nails springs to mind.

The only way to survive economically these days is by becoming a huge concert act. Rush of course are.

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: January 15 2010 at 04:17
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Clap

Posted By: BlindGuard
Date Posted: January 15 2010 at 07:26

+1

It's really sad that the album format is leaving this world for this digital crap :\

Date Posted: January 15 2010 at 08:36
Originally posted by SgtPepper67 SgtPepper67 wrote:

I really don't get much satisfaction by listening to an individual songs in general.

Confused

Sucks to be you!

-------------
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: January 15 2010 at 08:37
Don't worry guys, the album format in music is not going to change very soon, just like the novel format in prose hasn't changed in more than two centuries now. Releasing songs is just the prose writer publishing short stories in magazines in between publishing novels.

EDIT: please make the difference between the format and the support, people Geek

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 05:59
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Me too! I want something solid for my money. If they do go down the download route I'm sure it will surface on an album sooner or later, as soon as they realise sales are way down.

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 10:30
O.K. folks , here's what you're missing - an album consists of one of more songs released as a collection. A song, or songs can be released on its' own without precluding the eventual collecting of a certain number of songs into an album.

Sooooo ... Rush , and any other group that follows this approach , can & will likely still put out albums. They just won't wait until they have a "full" album's worth of music to put out a song or more. Just as they probably won't stop writing, recording, and releasing albums if & when the motivation or inspiration hits.

After all, why force things just to fit into some pre-conceived commercial requirement.
Again, ask Beethoven & the other dead white guys how they got away with putting out stuff other than full blown symphonies ...

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 10:39
^ I agree with this point. I think it could be liberating for rock artists to just write music when they feel inspired.
This seems preferable over having to put a full album together with filler material.

Actually I hope this will bring the 40 minute 'album' back and release us from those indigestible 70+ minute CDs.

Where it concerns the carrier I want perfect quality. At this point this is still the CD by a long stretch!
Much preferable over any file format that is processed through the sound card of a PC, or oh dear, an ipod.

Oh, I almost forgot. Great news that Rush is so far into writing songs already!

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 16:39

I'm hoping someone puts something out on 8 Track again. Tongue

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 16:39
I agree..Back in the 70's we ALL were salavating at the thought of digital media. We all wanted better sounding music PERIOD! And now that we have it in the form of digital mp3 files and lossless WMA...we are complaining?? Lets not be two faced.......I can remember buying my first DDD CD format and thinking "man I am never going back to low end vinyl..."
Vinyl will always be around and the CD is here to stay forever, so the album format is not in jeopardy. I am just glad I can play any format I want. Vinyl has gotten much better due to digital recording technology, pressing improvements.....yada, yada.
We live in a portable society, so it only makes sense for artists to embrace the technology and get the music out.

And yes its great news that Rush is back at it...........AGAIN....what is this close to 35yrs now?

Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 17:28
i wouldn't bet on either format LP or CD. The predicted "next" step is streaming music to whatever device you care to listen to it on.
Imagine crystal clear FM signal ! With time, any & all music should find its way onto services like Spotify and those that will succeed it.
The CD ? Just check Walmart. Then have a look in 6 months. The floor space keeps being cut down.

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 17:38
Yes I agree.....in 10-15 yrs preferred method will be some kind of download/stream to your device of choice. From there how you keep it is up to you, burn to CD, on your HD.......

What I missed mentioning is that I do hope the artwork of vinyl is never lost. Maybe that too is downloaded and used as you see fit. Liner notes are still awesome..........

Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 20:26
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

O.K. folks , here's what you're missing - an album consists of one of more songs released as a collection. A song, or songs can be released on its' own without precluding the eventual collecting of a certain number of songs into an album.

Sooooo ... Rush , and any other group that follows this approach , can & will likely still put out albums. They just won't wait until they have a "full" album's worth of music to put out a song or more. Just as they probably won't stop writing, recording, and releasing albums if & when the motivation or inspiration hits.

After all, why force things just to fit into some pre-conceived commercial requirement.
Again, ask Beethoven & the other dead white guys how they got away with putting out stuff other than full blown symphonies ...

Wow...its *really* not as simple as that! The very best albums aren't just an arbitrary collection of songs, far from it. It's a collection of songs, chosen to be presented together because they complement and enhance one another. That's why Dancing with the Moonlit knight wouldn't be the same buried somewhere in the tracklist of Foxtrot or Wind and Wuthering. It works as well as it does because it was chosen to be the first piece of a very particular set of songs. The same can be said of any number of great albums. You can't just take Shine On You Crazy Diamond and stick on the Wall. It doesn't work!

And that is why the album format is so important. Yes, we'll still hear lots of great songs. But the album is its own art form.

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 23:35
The point would be listening to Echoes by itself, not making it part of DSOTM.

You all are silly. The reason you listen to a full album at once is to absorb the full vision of the artist, but if their vision is a single song you won't go for it?

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 00:33
It's not that I don't accept the artist's new vision. 

For a lot of people, a single song is just the larger part of a bigger picture. *Especially* in prog. 

What if directors started releasing their movies scene by scene? That would suck! I see it as a similar situation.

Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 06:03
Originally posted by Eapo_q42 Eapo_q42 wrote:

It's not that I don't accept the artist's new vision. 

For a lot of people, a single song is just the larger part of a bigger picture. *Especially* in prog. 

What if directors started releasing their movies scene by scene? That would suck! I see it as a similar situation.

Hmm... I don't think Jim Jarmusch's Coffee & Cigarettes sucked at all! Even if he released three scenes before the full movie...

Confused

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 06:24
Well, naturally there are exceptions to every rule, and no simile is perfect!

For what it's worth, though, I was referring to narrative driven films. I think they make a fair enough comparison to, say, a concept album. Each one relates a story, with the intention of affecting emotions in some way. It takes you on a journey, and if the artist is good enough at his craft, each piece of the story is carefully placed and achieves an optimal effect on your emotional response. 

Seeing Citizen Kane presented as a series of scenes, out of order, and released sporadically....well, it wouldn't half the same effect, would it? 

Obviously, this isn't true of EVERY movie or EVERY album, that's a given. But i'm just trying to illustrate a point, that's all.

Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 14:42

Well, naturally there are exceptions to every rule, and no simile is perfect!

For what it's worth, though, I was referring to narrative driven films. I think they make a fair enough comparison to, say, a concept album. Each one relates a story, with the intention of affecting emotions in some way. It takes you on a journey, and if the artist is good enough at his craft, each piece of the story is carefully placed and achieves an optimal effect on your emotional response. 

Seeing Citizen Kane presented as a series of scenes, out of order, and released sporadically....well, it wouldn't half the same effect, would it? 

Obviously, this isn't true of EVERY movie or EVERY album, that's a given. But i'm just trying to illustrate a point, that's all.

Very true, but you do obviously realize that concept albums are actually quite rare? I'd say almost every album known to man is a collection of unconnected songs, similar to the way Coffee & Cigarettes is structured. I perfectly understand releasing an album instead of an individual song if that's what the music requires, but nearly every time this is not the case!

What I don't understand is the argument, that releasing files should be strictly prohibited because there's currently about 10 active bands that actually release concept albums...

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 18:13
Well, I totally support artists exploring new ways to put out their music.  Format isn't particularly relevant.  If an artist wants to put out a concept set they still can regardless of format.  Totally surprised to see the 33-1/3 make a comeback.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 18:43
Prog is an album-oriented genre. It is the antithesis of the 'pop single'. In the 70s, Floyd and Zeppelin's attitude was 'if you wanna hear the single, buy the album'.

I'm an 'album' listener. I don't do singles. Even when I'm listening to a rip of one of my CDs on my Ipod, I will often listen to a whole album. 

I am horrified at the concept of the 'album' dying. The death of physical media is the death of prog. 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 19:24
Well, at least this guy ^ knows how I feel!

Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 08:58
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

I am horrified at the concept of the 'album' dying. The death of physical media is the death of prog. 

Then we disagree. I believe the true spirit of prog is much deeper then a physical disc you can hold in your hand...

-------------

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 09:25
maybe it'll give Rush a new lease of life

crafting a concept album *usually* produces one or two filler pieces which advance a theme but would be dropped or torn apart for its ideas if the goal were to make the individual songs as good as they could be

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: Elderflower Man
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 17:03
I love albums! A well-written album is a coherent experience, and listening to an album which has been carefully constructed and flows together is a much stronger experience than just listening to one or two songs on their own- like the adage, "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". That's lost when you just release songs on their own. Besides, I'm a collector at heart, and I love to be able to buy and hold my albums.

Ah, well, at least it's good to see Rush getting back in the studio.

-------------
All your hearts now seem so far from me,
It hardly seems to matter now.

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 17:53
Originally posted by Elderflower Man Elderflower Man wrote:

I love albums! A well-written album is a coherent experience, and listening to an album which has been carefully constructed and flows together is a much stronger experience than just listening to one or two songs on their own- like the adage, "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". That's lost when you just release songs on their own. Besides, I'm a collector at heart, and I love to be able to buy and hold my albums.

Ah, well, at least it's good to see Rush getting back in the studio.

Exactly! I'm a collector, too, and like having physical hard copies of stuff. 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 18:20
I'm also sorry that the music industry is going this way, since I also love albums and find them priceless. However, like many of you have expressed, it's the way music has been published since the recording industry begun, and many generations have purchased music in this format.
The vinyl albums, as the main format of buying music, lasted  about 70 years or so, the cassette tapes somewhere between 20 and 25 years, the CD only lasted about 15 years (even though is still around, it's not the most popular way of buying music these days), so let's see how long this MP3 format lasts.

Posted By: nordwind
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 19:57

Well, at least this guy ^ knows how I feel!

Don't worry ,you definitely not alone here ! I'm still waiting for Rush to do another "Space Opera". Wink

-------------
Jazz isn't dead.......it just smells funny.
Frank Zappa / Live in New York

Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 20:28
Hehe...I would be SO there for that.

Posted By: jplanet
Date Posted: January 20 2010 at 20:54
This makes total sense - unless you are one of the 30 or so artists that get regular airplay anymore (even then radio is also a dying format), one of the best ways to remain on the radar and keep fans interested is to release more often than an album format alone will allow...

Brian Eno compared selling albums nowadays to selling whale blubber for oil lamps after electricity...It's sad, I'll miss them, and still think buying music stopped being fun after vinyls went the way of the dodo bird, but albums are less and less relevant every day...

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/ShadowCircus/" rel="nofollow - ..::welcome to the shadow circus::..

Posted By: JROCHA
Date Posted: January 20 2010 at 21:09
I would love to have a new full length album from Rush, and the album format is very special to Prog bands. But some new songs would cool also, they are a great band and they deserve to try something new. Plus they might go on tour again !!!

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: January 23 2010 at 19:37
I'm with Henry here. Many of you seem to be going down the OMGZ ALBUMZZZZZZ R DYING OFF AND THEY WONT EXIST ANYMORE path, and it confuses me. Confused And quite frankly, Radiohead's already started doing the same thing. Yet I haven't noticed a single drop in quality in their music. It's entirely about the music anyway, not the format. If Rush feels this is the best way for them to release their music, I'm all for it.

-------------

Posted By: tintedweed
Date Posted: January 23 2010 at 21:27

I dont get the "single" release at all. Specially for a prog band if you would call, it just doesn't fit that well. I like to listen music in continuation, dont' like the "shuffle" way of ipod. I guess we are all different on how our brain processes and adjusts to music, for me its about mood and feel, the time of day. How can a single fit and satisfy this? I believe the best solution is go the EP way.. somewhere in the middle :).

As far as physical disks, i have no particular attachment to that. I get music to listen .....as long as its good music, any method of delivery works.

Posted By: mattmcl
Date Posted: January 26 2010 at 15:40
Let's just remove the entire paradigm of single and album.

Digital downloads allow the artist to do whatever the hell they want, without worrying about the constraints of 70 minutes, or 40 or whatever. Radiohead and maudlin of the Well both put out very long digital albums this year. If a musician gets a sudden brainstorm and wants to do an experimental 20 min. set, they can do it. I can't think of any prog bands I like that aren't prone to long songs, often tied together over an album somehow. Prog bands aren't going to start releasing 2:30 single hits, it's just not going to happen. I'd like to see them take advantage of this- many have in some form- and start experimenting even more. There are no worries about sales, because the only investment is the artist's time. Once we get rid of the CD, we get rid of the hold labels have always had over the artists. That can only be good!

Date Posted: January 26 2010 at 16:38
Originally posted by mattmcl mattmcl wrote:

Let's just remove the entire paradigm of single and album.

Digital downloads allow the artist to do whatever the hell they want, without worrying about the constraints of 70 minutes, or 40 or whatever. Radiohead and maudlin of the Well both put out very long digital albums this year. If a musician gets a sudden brainstorm and wants to do an experimental 20 min. set, they can do it. I can't think of any prog bands I like that aren't prone to long songs, often tied together over an album somehow. Prog bands aren't going to start releasing 2:30 single hits, it's just not going to happen. I'd like to see them take advantage of this- many have in some form- and start experimenting even more. There are no worries about sales, because the only investment is the artist's time. Once we get rid of the CD, we get rid of the hold labels have always had over the artists. That can only be good!

It's not the absence of physical media that bothers us. It's the album FORMAT, which is different.

Some of us just prefer our songs in collections. It provides a framework and reference point for the songs contained inside. Context, you see. Whether it comes on a CD or not isn't actually so important to me.

Date Posted: January 26 2010 at 19:29
which begs the question - can't you manage to assemble a collection of a group's songs once they have releases enough of them to meet your minimum time requirement (ex - 40 minutes) ?
 I love the whole Hemispheres album. But Frankly, I would have been just as happy to get Side two separately while they might have been working on Cygbus X-1 pt I & II. 
2112 didn't need the second side to be a great piece of music.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2010 at 20:34
I've been arguing this back and forth on this thread for ages, hehe....

But it's not just a time requirement, dangnabbit!

As I have said, most albums, especially by prog bands, are not just an arbitrary collection of songs. They are songs which are presented together because they provide context for one another, and they complement and enhance eachother by virtue of where they are placed in the running order.

Choosing this list of songs, and the order of them, is an art unto itself. Example: On The Run and The Great Gig In The Sky would still be fine pieces of music by themselves. But within the context of Dark Side Of The Moon, and placed as they are, they become legendary.

So sure, I *can* live without the album format. But I'll miss the hell out of it.

Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 08:41

As I have said, most albums, even by prog bands, are just an arbitrary collection of songs.

Fixed.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 16:23
You people are impossible.

When reason fails you, you resort to nonsense!

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: January 29 2010 at 06:10
I go with the late, great John Lennon on this matter; whatever gets you through the night.

In general, it's the artists responsibility to create and the fans responsibility to react. Sometimes the artist is mistaken, other times it's the fans. The only thing you can guarantee is no-one will be able to agree upon who is right and who is wrong.

Opinion: Rush can do whatever the hell they like.

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Date Posted: January 29 2010 at 19:20

As I have said, most albums, especially by prog bands, are not just an arbitrary collection of songs. They are songs which are presented together because they provide context for one another, and they complement and enhance eachother by virtue of where they are placed in the running order.

Choosing this list of songs, and the order of them, is an art unto itself. Example: On The Run and The Great Gig In The Sky would still be fine pieces of music by themselves. But within the context of Dark Side Of The Moon, and placed as they are, they become legendary.

So sure, I *can* live without the album format. But I'll miss the hell out of it.

and what will stop artists from releasing these "whole" piece of music ? Peart wasn't saying that Rush will only be releasing one song at a time. Just that the idea that you need to release music in an album format is no longer the only way to do things now.
Again, bands will release single songs of varying lengths, several together, some will put out 40, 50, 60 , 80 minute "albums". But most albums are not conceptual in nature, and most songs can & do stand well enough on their own.
Please re-listen to 2112 or Supper's Ready, and refrain from giving the other LP side air time, and see if the music is still as good as it was before.

Methinks the impression you're getting is that we'll only see one song at a time coming out.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2010 at 19:21

-------------

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: January 29 2010 at 19:24

When reason fails you, you resort to nonsense!

I SO want to have that on the front of a t-shirt. Big smile

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 07:40

To me it sounds like we should eliminate the album as we know it as fast as we can!!! It would probably mean less gimmicks, and it would force musicians to make pieces which actually speak to you... without the help of an army of lukewarm songs.

You can't make DSOTM an exmple to prove your point, because it's established that that particular album is "one in a million". It is considered legendary for the exact reason you love albums, unlike almost any other album!

But really, if you have to listen to a full album before you notice the music has any power, you're listening to wrong bands! Sorry for sounding nonsensical.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk