Your mp3 player: songs or full albums?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: General Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64426
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 19:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your mp3 player: songs or full albums?
Posted By: Mr ProgFreak
Subject: Your mp3 player: songs or full albums?
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 15:16
Of course each choice should also say "mostly", but the word didn't fit in (there's a length limit for poll choices).

So, what listening type are you? I'm a 1 ... Big smile

-------------
https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike" rel="nofollow - https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike

Replies:
Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 15:18
I don't have an mp3 player anymore, but when I did, I mostly listened to full albums.

Posted By: NJCat_11
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 15:19
Unlike the mainstream slime these days, progressive music is meant to be listened to in the form of an album in the order the songs come in.

-------------
"We are Defenders of the Faith"
              - Rob Halford

Posted By: The Sleepwalker
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 15:22
I fill it with full albums and I try to listen to full albums as many as possible, but I don't always get the chance to. I mostly used my Ipod in the bus ride to my school, which is just too short to listen to full albums. Also because of the loud noise the bus makes I can't hear soft moments of albums at all. I don't listen to music anymore in the bus though, and I rarely use my Ipod now.

-------------

Posted By: NJCat_11
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 15:25
Originally posted by floydispink floydispink wrote:

I fill it with full albums and I try to listen to full albums as many as possible, but I don't always get the chance to. I mostly used my Ipod in the bus ride to my school, which is just too short to listen to full albums. Also because of the loud noise the bus makes I can't hear soft moments of albums at all. I don't listen to music anymore in the bus though, and I rarely use my Ipod now.

I used to have the same problem but now I can blast my iPod through my own car speakers.

-------------
"We are Defenders of the Faith"
              - Rob Halford

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 15:40
I have a cheap 1GB mp3 player and whenever I travel I fill it with albums (never songs) and listen to albums Approve

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 15:44
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

I have a cheap 1GB 512MB mp3 player and whenever I travel I fill it with albums (never songs) and listen to albums Approve

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 15:50
Albums, but I tend to shuffle them sometimes.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 16:03
I fill it with full albums, though I sometimes skip tracks when listening.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 17:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This. I usually listen to an album, but sometimes I'll just go through tracks I feel like listening to.

-------------

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 17:13
It is extremely rare of me to listen to just songs from an album (having to do with sampling, previewing, can't-get-out-of-my-head happenings, or being hooked by a gem, in an exceptional way).

So it's "full albums", in any condition. When I do that, I don't shuffle, skip or interrupt the listening.

-------------

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 17:24
I rarely listen to my mp3. I listen to CD-R copies of full albums on my car stereo.

Posted By: topofsm
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 18:44
Albums, since you did say they should say mostly. Of course, as many have said it's difficult sometimes to listen to a full album for example in a car ride. That's when shuffle's great.

Of course, I do sometimes pick individual songs. As a recent example I've been listening to "Hyperdrive!" from Devin Townsend nearly nonstop, and quite honestly all the other songs on the album haven't gotten a chance.

-------------

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 18:55
I only use shuffle to find something I'm interested in hearing at the time, and then I go to the full album and listen to that.

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 19:02
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This. I usually listen to an album, but sometimes I'll just go through tracks I feel like listening to.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 02:31
Since my player can hold my entire collection I love turning it into my personal prog radio station with the shuffle.  I shuffle the whole collection sometimes and also maintain playlists of last 50 and 100 albums which I will shuffle on most frequently.  It's a capability I now have, so I figure, why not use it?  I still listen to albums in their entirety frequently as well.  I have a scheme for keeping the entire collection in circulation. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 02:53
I used to fill it with albums and then listen to random tracks since walking to class/riding the bus/going to the gym didn't lend itself to 36-70 minute albums.

Nowadays, I just add songs I know I like in order to avoid incessant skipping.

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 09:47
I usually put full albums on, but sometimes I'll skip through songs depending on how much time I have.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 09:54
Full albums on, and I mostly always listen to the full album.  I used to have an iPod shuffle on which I could only listen to albums on shuffle, but ever since I got a real iPod, I almost always listen to the full album.

-------------

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 10:24
I'm almost always listening to full albums. About twice a year I might use the shuffle option or sometimes when I'm traveling and there's not enough time to listen to a full album I might skip some and only listen to my favourites. I think all music on my Ipod are full albums except three cases when there are a couple of brilliant tracks on an otherwise mediocre album. I'd like to keep the whole albums, but the space is limited even in a 74GB player.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 10:24
Albums. Never skip, never shuffle.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 11:54
Whattssamadda you people?  Do not fear the shuffle.  It can be fun, too.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 11:58
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Throws up some great surprises.....like ignored tracks for example

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 14:30
I upload full albums and listen to full albums most of the time.  Occasionally, I will just listen to a certain track if I'm really craving it, but I never shuffle.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 14:44
Full albums and absolutely love to do the shuffle as my mood takes meLOL

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:03
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

I have a cheap 1GB 4GB mp4 player and whenever I travel I fill it with albums (never songs) and listen to albums Approve

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:06
Put full albums on. I almost never listen to an entire full album beginning to end though.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:09
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Throws up some great surprises.....like ignored tracks for example

People who don't use shuffle don't ignore any tracks Wink

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 15:47
I never use shuffle, but I often only listen to part of an album, to resume it days (or even weeks) later.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 17:10
My mp3 player is my Iphone which I have filled with lots of SONGS, most of them non-prog. I don't use it that much for music purposes, and when I do, the least thing I want is a 12 minute song. I have lots of albums in disc, but in my mp3 player, I mostly have songs. Or albums full of songs from which I select the ones I enjoy the most.  

-------------

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 17:28

I got Aphex Twin and Albert Ayler back to back. A good combo.

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I never use shuffle, but I often only listen to part of an album, to resume it days (or even weeks) later.

I do that with albums and books. I used to even fast forward to the part of the song I was on.

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 17:33
Full albums are the only way I can listen to music. I despise shuffle with a passion, and I only skip songs if they suck. But I only have full albums on my iPod.

-Jeff

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 22:07
I only use my MP3 for trips(long or short), so it's not something I use everyday.

I fit it with songs mostly, and never use shuffle, but that's mainly because it only has 1GB and am constantly changing the songs from the MP3.

Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 22:30
I'm guessing those of you who find the shuffle an anathema have also quit radio?  I'll confess 80-90% of my listening is whole album, but I seriously don't understand this attitude against the shuffle.  Well, as long as you're listening to good music, more power to you however you like to take it.  Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: January 18 2010 at 22:37

I have an older 30 GB IPod.  I originally started putting full albums on it, then about 50 CD's in realized I'd never get everything on there, so I started putting on only individual songs.  I've tried shuffle a few times, and while that can produce some interesting juxtapositions it's not something I do very often.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: patthemetaller
Date Posted: January 19 2010 at 07:10
I use my IPod to listen to full albums. I find selecting by genre is great to pull all similar material together which can be selected then based on the mood i'm in / what I'm after.

Same with Itunes

-------------
\../

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: January 19 2010 at 11:41
It depends.
If I'm in my car with friends I'll do a shuffle.
If I'm alone or listening on headphones then albums.

Date Posted: January 19 2010 at 12:22

Oh yes, definitely. It's always great fun those two times a year I do it. Great contrasts come up, like once some mellow David Gilmour instrumental acting as an intro to a Carcass track. Clap

-------------

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: January 19 2010 at 12:27
My iPod is filled with albums 90% and then lots of sampled songs, songs from friends, mixes, etc. I end up buying most albums for songs I like eventually. I will shuffle artists occasionally (I really like doing this for Gentle Giant as I only have the good 9 albums) but if I shuffled everything, I'd get classical, bluegrass, symphonic prog, death metal, and classic rock interspersed.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: January 19 2010 at 12:31
I have mainly full albums through nothing more than lazyness.  I put them on shuffle as it amuses me.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: January 19 2010 at 12:51
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

but if I shuffled everything, I'd get classical, bluegrass, symphonic prog, death metal, and classic rock interspersed.

That's the beauty of shuffle, if you ask me. I've tried shuffling only a certain artist, but either my Ipod doesn't have that option or I just can't make it do it.

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 06:23

For whatever reson I can never seem to listen to a full album when on the move, even when I have the time to listen to a full one. I fill my 8GB Creative Zen with songs picked from my CD collection, though some times I will have a full album on their if I think all the songs are going to work for me when on the move (so you wouldnt find all of PoS's The Perfect Element as Morning on Earth, Innocence and Dedication just dont work for me that well, but I do have all of both Indukti albums).

Its strange this because at home I would never consider listening to only select songs.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 23 2010 at 01:03
Option 1

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 20:24
I fall into category 1 and 2 almost equally. I only fill it with albums, but from those albums, I've made a 5000+ song playlist (omitting segues, filler, tracks that are too long for shuffle, etc.) that I shuffle when I don't have time for full albums. I agree that in some cases songs only sound right in the context of their album, in which case they wouldn't make it into my shuffle playlist!

Posted By: SgtPepper67
Date Posted: February 14 2010 at 12:08
I fill it with full albums and listen to full albums

-------------

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: February 14 2010 at 13:15
Fill it with full albums, listen to full albums or songs. It depends...

Posted By: camilleanne
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 05:16
I put both,,sometimes I listen to full albums but most of the times I listen to shuffled songs from different bands of different genres under prog... 

-------------
The planet is fine the people are f**ked.
-George Carlin-

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 12:17
This is a progressive rock website....concept albums....how could this turn out any other way? I listen to full albums, but sometimes in between classes i don't have time and I listen to some more stand alone capable songs.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 14:12
I have a 30GB Zune and fill it with albums, never just songs. 80% of the time I listen to full albums start to finish. 20% is songs by classic rock, or straight rock, R&B, jazz artists where I will pick out certain songs, although I have all these type loaded on genre playlists. When my wife and family are enjoying their reality TV shows, which I can't stand, I sit on the sofa and listen to albums start to finish.

-------------

Posted By: Hanke666
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 15:44
I fill it with songs and listen to full albums Big smile

No... Almost only full albums on it. Sometimes I listen to albums, sometimes I shuffle, sometimes I make playlists...

-------------

Posted By: Jozef
Date Posted: February 19 2010 at 12:39
I have full albums uploaded onto mine, but I tend to shuffle around with the songs from time to time.

-------------

Posted By: FusionKing
Date Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:32
Songs and full albums of various rock groups, usually. But sometimes I change it to just songs of one genre or decade when I feel like it, all metal, all prog, all 60's etc...

Posted By: Tuonela
Date Posted: February 22 2010 at 10:29
I almost always listen to full albums. When I put it on shuffle most of the time after one song, I want to hear the song that's supposed to come next on the album... also, some songs work better in their context (especially in prog).

Posted By: Philip
Date Posted: February 26 2010 at 17:35
Gennerally, albums. If it is about 30-35 minutes I hear it all on my way on foot to university.

Date Posted: February 26 2010 at 17:50
I've just bought a modern mobile telephone, with touchscreen, mp3 player, video & photo camera, etc. I supposed this was going to provide a great improvement over my old mobile and my mp3 player (both over four years old), but I was wrong. It seems like it can't read folders, so I have to move the mp3 files all together in the same place. I've named them pedantically: Track Number / Artist / Album / Track Title in order to have the tracks from the same album stick together, but then, it seems like it can't really put them in a logical order, because it can't read tags or something and most tracks appear with altered names like TR8%L# for a track by Transatlantic. This is worse considering that, not having folders, I have to navigate and search for tracks in a track-by-track manner using the < and > key, at a speed of 1 second per track. Also, the transfer rate via USB is very low, at around 0.7MB/s. My old mp3 payer was better on all counts, even though it was a no-name piece of cheap plastic four years ago! Angry

So I suppose I'll be listening only tracks, not albums.

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: February 26 2010 at 17:58
Oy, the track naming thing would be the most annoying for me.  One of the programs we use in my music class does the same thing, if a track name is too long it shortens it up into something unrecognizable.  

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: nastyprisms
Date Posted: March 03 2010 at 01:27
On my iPod, I only have full albums which I listen to in their entirety about half of the time --  other than that, I just shuffle my whole library.

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: March 03 2010 at 21:38
I put full albums onto my Ipod, and usually I'll listen to full albums. Prog lends itself best to listening to a disc in one sitting. Sometimes, I will skip or shuffle, though.

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: EatThatPhonebook
Date Posted: April 28 2010 at 09:44
I always listen to full albums all the way through.

Posted By: tarkus1980
Date Posted: April 28 2010 at 12:06
I mostly fill mine with full albums, with the exception of if I definitely only ever want to hear a small number of tracks from a specific album.  I usually use it to listen to full albums, though I will regularly listen to self-made playlists and put my ipod on full shuffle.  The shuffle experience has gotten a lot neater for me in the past couple of years, as I've undergone a massive self-education in classical music in that time, and the last year-plus has been filled with a massive self-education in jazz as well.

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: May 04 2010 at 00:57
Full album
because I usually find the exact album for the mood at listen to it. Usually four or five tracks at a time.

-------------

Posted By: Oliverum
Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 02:59
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Of course, I do sometimes pick individual songs. As a recent example I've been listening to "Hyperdrive!" from Devin Townsend nearly nonstop, and quite honestly all the other songs on the album haven't gotten a chance.

Well, this is my point aswell - what do you do when it happens to be an average (or in some cases even fairly weak) album, but it has some gems on it? Do you still put the whole album on your MP3 player? I think not.

Just to be clear - i´m not saying that Addicted is a weak album. Alghough, i personally have other favourites from Townsend´s discography.

Posted By: The Wrinkler
Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 18:26
full albums baby!

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: May 06 2010 at 09:33
Albums are best heard as albums

-------------

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: May 06 2010 at 09:43
Boxset/Compilations and Bonus Tracks.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com