Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64834
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 10:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Football Thread
Posted By: harmonium.ro
Subject: The Football Thread
Date Posted: February 03 2010 at 18:37

Sunday at noon we'll have the preliminary groups. I hope this is going to be a nice one; 2008 was very good. Big smile

The EURO 2012 anticipation thread has now become The Football Thread.

Replies:
Date Posted: February 07 2010 at 06:34
Here's the draw result:  http://www.uefa.com/live/draw/euro/2012.qr/index.html - http://www.uefa.com/live/draw/euro/2012.qr/index.html

England has an easy group I think, while the toughest seem to be Group C (Italy, Serbia, Slovenia - all qualified at the World Cup this summer) and H (Portugal, Denmark, Norway). My bets for the first and second places in the other groups are:

A - Germany & Turkey
B - Russia & Ireland
D - France & Romania
E - Netherlands & Sweden
F - Croatia & Greece
G - England & Bulgaria
I - Spain & Czech Republic

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: February 07 2010 at 07:31

Fifty-one countries participated in the draw, which was conducted by four famous names from Polish and Ukrainian football: Andriy Shevchenko, Andrzej Szarmach, Oleg Blokhin and Zbigniew Boniek. The groups will be contested according to a league system on a home-and-away basis, with games scheduled between September 2010 and October 2011.

The nine winners and the runner-up with the best record against the top five sides in their pool qualify directly for the final tournament, the last before the championship is expanded to 24 teams. The eight remaining runners-up go into play-off matches in November 2011 to decide the final four sides to join co-hosts Poland and Ukraine.

=========================================

Only the top teams qualify outright with 4 other places going to the 4 winners from the runners up playoff. Could be a few big name casualties.

Posted By: Diaby
Date Posted: February 07 2010 at 07:58
Sweden again...though without Ibra this time. If we do well (the first thing is that we can't lose points against Moldova and San Marino) and have some luck, the team could reach the second place. Koeman has to include some youngsters of the U20 team that finished third in the World Cup last year.

-------------
yeah

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 05:35
England always get a bloody easy groupAngry whereas the navy blue midgets (Scotland) have drawn the reigning champions Spain (scary) and the Czech Republic (not as scary but still very good)

Another thing, why do UEFA pander to the ridiculous whims of the ex Soviet block countries who refuse to play one another ? (e.g. Georgia and Russia) If they refuse to fulfil the drawn fixture for non-sporting reasons, ban them outright from the competition.

Can we refuse to play Spain because it's likely their climate will blister our deathly pale and delicate milky white skin ?

-------------

Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 18:23
Apparently tomorrow the location for Euro 2016 will be chosen. The candidates are France, Turkey and Italy (in the order of chances).

BTW I'm not going to be a great fan of that Euro, since they're going to accommodate 24 teams Pinch

Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 06:48
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Apparently tomorrow the location for Euro 2016 will be chosen. The candidates are France, Turkey and Italy (in the order of chances).

BTW I'm not going to be a great fan of that Euro, since they're going to accommodate 24 teams Pinch

And FRANCE it is.

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 20:15
Cant they invite Argentina & Brazil?? There ll be no need for World cups then

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 11:19

I wonder if that decission will hurt the status of the Euro... I mean, it's evident that there are 12 or 14 good teams in Europe, no offense to anyone but that's why almost the same countries classify to both Euro and World Cup... I think to increase the cuantity of teams will hurt the competition, just like the World Cup now that there are 32 teams... most games of the first fase are really boring... but well, more money and more happiness for small countries...

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: May 29 2010 at 16:48
Juan,

This is the problem with FIFA/UEFA... it's all about money and favouring the big clubs and national teams. Personally I think they should do away with all seedings, but that will never happen. In (fairly) recent years smaller countries like Denmark and Greece have won the Euro championship... good luck to them and other small countries. I doubt if I'll ever get the chance to see Scotland at another major tournament in my lifetime... mind you, if they increase it to 24 teams... nah, probably not, we're Censored  and we know it LOL

Date Posted: May 31 2010 at 09:48
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Juan,

This is the problem with FIFA/UEFA... it's all about money and favouring the big clubs and national teams. Personally I think they should do away with all seedings, but that will never happen. In (fairly) recent years smaller countries like Denmark and Greece have won the Euro championship... good luck to them and other small countries. I doubt if I'll ever get the chance to see Scotland at another major tournament in my lifetime... mind you, if they increase it to 24 teams... nah, probably not, we're Censored  and we know it LOL

I know... and I get it... I live in Guatemala! the only football country in Central America that has not pass to the World Cup ever...!!! so I was pleased when they gave CONCACAF three and a half tickets and even like that we are far away from getting it...

Greece was an awful winner... but Denmark played great then... More teams =/= better football... but well, at the end we know that we will buy the bloody tickets right....? ConfusedLOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2010 at 19:12
As agreed with Guigo in the 2010 World Cup thread, I'll make this the "new" football thread, dedicated to all competitions and to any football related chat. The World Cup thread will sink into oblivion, as it has grown very, very large, and the topic is completely exhausted anyway.

BTW, the run for Euro 2012 has started today, and Israel won over Malta by 3-1. Let's hope for a great tournament!

Main matches tomorrow, along with my forecast:

Belgium - Germany (1-2)
Slovakia - Macedonia (2-1)
France - Belarus (1-0)
Sweden - Hungary (2-0)
England - Bulgaria (1-1)
Portugal - Cyprus (2-0)
Lithuania - Scotland (2-1)

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: September 02 2010 at 19:15
hey, false advertising!

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: September 02 2010 at 19:18
Importing some necessary info from the World Cup thread:

These are the 2010-2011 Champions League groups:

I like that group with Real, Milan and Ajax, especially because Auxerre is very close and I can go to see them playing against those great teams - if I have the money LOLOuch

Here are my predictions for how the groups will look like at the end:

A: Inter > Werder > Tottenham > Twente
B: Schalke > Lyon > Benfica > Hapoel
C: Man Utd > Valencia > Bursa > Rangers
D: Barcelona > Rubin Kazan > Panathinaikos > FC Kopenhagen
E: Bayern > Roma > CFR Cluj > Basel
F: Chelsea > Spartak > Marseille > Zilina
G: Real > Ajax > Milan > Auxerre
H: Arsenal > Shakhtar > Braga > Partizan

Date Posted: September 02 2010 at 19:19

And the 2010-2011 "Europa League" groups:

The draw ended just a few minutes ago.

The groups look better than when it was "UEFA Cup". Toughest groups: Sevilla - Borussia Dortmund - PSG and Liverpool - Napoli - Steaua.

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: September 02 2010 at 20:08
The 49ers are going to be a sleeper team this year I think
NFC West is weak and they have all the pieces to make a surprise run in the NFL IMHO

Date Posted: September 02 2010 at 20:14
JJ, you're welcome to discuss football here. There is a handegg thread already if I'm not wrong. For educational purposes I have posted an explicit picture in the OP. Wink

Of all the people, you should know. Wink

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:00
Anyone looking at tonight's matches? No? You're not missing much LOL

Also,

BTW, the run for Euro 2012 has started today, and Israel won over Malta by 3-1. Let's hope for a great tournament!

Main matches tomorrow, along with my forecast:

Belgium - Germany (1-2) - 0-1, almost perfect guess

Slovakia - Macedonia (2-1) - 1-0, again almost perfect guess

France - Belarus (1-0) - 0-1, probably the shock of the evening!

Sweden - Hungary (2-0) - perfect guess

England - Bulgaria (1-1) - 4-0; are we in for another smashing English performance in the qualifiers and a lame one at the final tournament?

Portugal - Cyprus (2-0) - 4-4; honestly I have no idea what happened there

Lithuania - Scotland (2-1) - 0-0

Did anyone see England - Bulgaria? I am quite curious how that was.

Also, despite the quality of the young talent recruited by Laurent Blanc for the new French team, 11 good players don't necessarily make a good team. They are right now playing a bit better with Bosnia than they did with Belarus, but I am not optimistic about a win.

Romania drew 1-1 with Albania and, tonight, 0-0 with Belarus. We are doomed, most likely.

Some interesting results this evening:

Russia - Slovakia 0-1 (!)
Turkey - Belgium 3-2 (this one seems to have been a thriller)
Serbia - Slovenia 1-0 (now at 68')
Switzerland - England 0-1 ('53)
Czech Rep. - Lithuania 0-1 ('83)
Norway - Portugal 1-0 ('72; if it ends like this, Norway will have 6 points and Portugal just 1)

Also, Argentina - Spain starts right now!

Posted By: b4usleep
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:14
What's wrong with Portugal?

-------------
Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout.

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:37
Honestly I have no idea. How is it possible for such a talented bunch to accomplish so little is beyond me. It's probably something related to their mentality, but what?

Also, it's already 3-0 for Argentina. I was listening to the Opeth teaser and missed the first goals. And the third was, like, LOL.

Maybe now that Maradona is gone the Argentinians will show their true value?

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:42
So Norway have beaten Portugal 1:0 seems like they are in trouble

France have just scored 78min take their time don't they?

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:43
France 2 looks like they will win this one

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:49
We got away with a draw in Croatia - these Croatians really make a good team

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:51
Yeap, here are the updates:

Serbia - Slovenia 1-1
Norway - Portugal 1-0
Bosnia - France 0-2 (I haven't seen anything because I switched on Argentina-Spain)
Switzerland - England 1-3
Scotland - Liechtenstein 1-1 (LOL)
Czech Republic - Lithuania 0-1

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:53
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

We got away with a draw in Croatia - these Croatians really make a good team

I was surprised they missed the World Cup, especially since they were so good at Euro 2008 and they were quite good in the qualifiers for the World Cup, at least until the last matches.

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:57
Scotland 2 Lichenstein 1 last minute goal

ha ha! They played their get out of Jail free card!  phew!

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:02
"He who laughs the last laughs the best" Embarrassed

Congratz!

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 11:00
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

So, Scotland finally overcame the footballing might of Liechtenstein with a last minute goal... actually, the winning goal was scored in the 37th minute of injury time. The fans all had to walk home because they missed the late-night buses.

Liechtenstein are rated about one hundred places below Scotland in Fifa's rankings, along with the likes of Swaziland... nice to see we've found our level.

Even funnier than the game/result itself was the unconsciously funny commentary... just after Liechtenstein took a shock lead, the commentator remarked that the Scotland manager would need to clean up the mess on the field. Yeah, after he cleaned up the mess on the ground behind where he was standing!

Scotland's next two games... Czech Republic and Spain. DeadLOL  

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 12:39
Originally posted by b4usleep b4usleep wrote:

What's wrong with Portugal?

Nothing wrong - it's back to normal after 20 years of abnormality.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 14:10
Was the 60s generation with Torres, Eusebio and the others another abnormality? Tongue 

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 14:52

Was the 60s generation with Torres, Eusebio and the others another abnormality? Tongue 

The short answer? Yes.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 15:18
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

So, Scotland finally overcame the footballing might of Liechtenstein with a last minute goal... actually, the winning goal was scored in the 37th minute of injury time. The fans all had to walk home because they missed the late-night buses.

Liechtenstein are rated about one hundred places below Scotland in Fifa's rankings, along with the likes of Swaziland... nice to see we've found our level.

Even funnier than the game/result itself was the unconsciously funny commentary... just after Liechtenstein took a shock lead, the commentator remarked that the Scotland manager would need to clean up the mess on the field. Yeah, after he cleaned up the mess on the ground behind where he was standing!

Scotland's next two games... Czech Republic and Spain. DeadLOL  

Almost another almighty calamity for the dark blue dwarves Confused (Though the mighty Lithuania beat the Czech Republic Tongue)

Scotland's status as a footie nation seems to be a circular debate i.e. there ain't much disagreement that Messrs Smith, McLeish, Burley and Levein have all picked the best players available to them but such is their lack of technical ball skills etc, the coach usually 'slips the noose' on the premise that 'ye cannae polish a turd' etc

Although Levein did sterling work with similarly limited resources at Dundee Utd I don't feel he's best equipped for the task ahead:

He's too young for an international manager
He's won squat at club level
He turned a life ban for McGregor and Ferguson into the somewhat diminished charge of life ban until Burley is sacked.
He selected Kris Boyd and Lee McCulloch who both did a miraculous U turn on their willingness to represent their country (players cannot pick and choose which national coach they are prepared to play for - if they do ban them forever I say - we're sh*te with or without them Ouch)

However, we owe Levein a fair go and if he gets us to the finals of Euro 2012 he will have achieved something his strangely lamented predecessors failed to.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 15:19
Well, Queiroz is out. For no apparent reason.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: September 26 2010 at 08:30
Has anyone followed the first round of matches from the Champions League and Europa League from last week? As I was on a trip I didn't have normal Internet access so I couldn't come in to comment, but I am still under the strong impression of the amazing football some teams have shown, especially the Spanish ones: Barcelona, Real and Valencia, but also Arsenal and AC Milan. I've had the bad luck to be shown Manchester U - Rangers, probably the most boring match of the round, but other have looked splendid (in the highlights, at least).
From the Europa League matches I must give mentions to Levski - Gent (wow), Karpaty Lvov - Borussia Dortmund (incredible development) and Dynamo Kyiv - Bate Borisov. There were a lot of surprising results, such as Aris Thessaloniki beating Atletico Madrid, Juventus drawing 3-3 with Lech Poznan, Dinamo Zagreb beating Villareal or Sevilla losing home to PSG. However I was not surprised by the good performances of the Russian teams: Zenit St. Petersburg beating Anderlecht in Belgium and CSKA Moscow beating Lausanne in Switzerland. I can easily see on of these two Russian teams in the final. 

Date Posted: September 26 2010 at 08:40
^ Yes, Rangers went with a very attack minded formation at Old Trafford called '10' and simply parked a huge double decker bus in front of their own penalty box. However, given the limitations of most of their players, to try and compete with Man Utd on a footballing skills level would have been infallible suicide, so perhaps we can't blame Walter Smith for at least realising his squad's shortcomings. (Look what happened to Braga at Arsenal for example) I also think Sir Alex Ferguson completely underestimated the defensive organisational nous of Walter Smith by putting out what was tantamount to a Red Devils Mothers and Toddlers XI.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2010 at 09:09
Coming with a late answer to Chris's issue from the "The demise of the English game?" thread from a month or so ago,

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3106111/Carlo-Ancelotti-says-Chelsea-are-playing-like-PlayStation-footballers.html - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3106111/Carlo-Ancelotti-says-Chelsea-are-playing-like-PlayStation-footballers.html Seriously the premiership is fast becoming a joke. Top 10, Bottom 10. Everyweek we are seeing 6-0.7-0 rompings. The chasm between teams in the elite and the bottom 10 is rediculous. I think there are clubs that now just try and survive to get the annual premiership cash injection. I know it is a global game but it really is a tad boring now, seeing the same old hidings dished out.

On to badminton....

I would like to point out that by this time ALL the favourites from all the major European leagues have lost important points, which was especially surprising since most of them were lost with "small" teams. After the first round of matches from the Premier League I would have agreed with Chris' feeling, but not anymore.

In England, Manchester United have lost 6 points in just 6 rounds to Bolton (this has just ended), Everton and Fulham; Arsenal were humiliated on their own turf by the newly promoted West Bromich Albion, also losing points to Sunderland and Liverpool; even the mighty Chelsea have lost one match already (to Man C).

In Spain, Barcelona were put to shame on the Camp Nou last week by the newly promoted Hercules Alicante, while Mourinho's Real have already lost 4 points in 5 rounds by drawing with minor teams such as Levante and Mallorca (sorry el dingo, Mallorca is not what it used to be any more).

The most interesting case (a great lovely mess, actually) comes from Germany, where after 6 rounds Bayern are on the 8th place with 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses, recent champoins Stuttgart are on the last place, and major teams like Schalke 04 and FC Koln are also on relegation positions. The current no.1 is FC Mainz :), and the first somewhat major team of the last years comes on the 7th place (Hamburger SV).

Even in Italy, the reigning Inter Milan have lost important points to Roma (loss) and Bologna (draw) - 4 important points out of 15 possible. While Juventus is on 16th and Fiorentina is on 19th, the podium is completed by Chievo and Brescia.

Date Posted: September 26 2010 at 09:27
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ Yes, Rangers went with a very attack minded formation at Old Trafford called '10' and simply parked a huge double decker bus in front of their own penalty box. However, given the limitations of most of their players, to try and compete with Man Utd on a footballing skills level would have been infallible suicide, so perhaps we can't blame Walter Smith for at least realising his squad's shortcomings. (Look what happened to Braga at Arsenal for example) I also think Sir Alex Ferguson completely underestimated the defensive organisational nous of Walter Smith by putting out what was tantamount to a Red Devils Mothers and Toddlers XI.

Agreed, that what I've also seen. I would have expected a brave attacking game from Rangers (probably ending in a 5-1? LOL), but as everyone (and especially Ferguson, indeed) I was surprised by their solid defensive approach.

Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 10:39
Champions League night tonight! Big smile

Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 17:53
Another good night for football. I saw AS Roma - CFR Cluj (2-1), one of the best matches of the day, along with IMO Ajax-AC Milan, Basel-Bayern and Braga-Shakhtar. Too bad my boys didn't win this, but they blew it themselves (they hit the post two times at 0-0). I was also very impressed by Spartak Moscow. After beating Marseille in France, they now literally crushed Zilina. Also, that Chamakh from Arsenal is amazing. He does a great attacking couple with Arshavin. 

Date Posted: September 29 2010 at 08:38
Yep, Chamakh is the sort of physical striker that Arsenal have lacked for the last few years.
Whether he's enough for them to end their 5 year trophy drought I'm not yet convinced as they still lack an authoritative keeper and a midfield 'minder' to protect their vulnerable back four.
Arshavin is a sublimely talented player but can be a bit erm...moody. When he's in the right one he can be devasting, when not it's like his team are playing with 10 menConfused
Jack Wilshire is just a superstar waiting to happen in my view.

I was very disappointed with Braga at the Emirates (they beat Celtic and Sevilla to earn their place in the group after all) Do you have hopes that Donetsk can advance from the section? - they have a lot of Brazilians plying their trade in Ukraine now I think?

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2010 at 08:52
If nothing sensational happens I think that Arsenal and Shakhtar have booked the #1 and #2 spots in their group. Braga were excellent last night, the difference was provided by the experience (lack of, in Braga's case) and the quality of that Brazilian striker from Shakhtar, which I didn't remember from the previous seasons. And maybe a referree error too. They're pretty good for a team at the first CL participation, but it will take them a few years untill they can be a match for the CL greats.

RE Arsenal, by the way Chelsea are looking, I think they have better chances at winning a continental trophy rather than an internal one.

Date Posted: September 29 2010 at 09:15

If nothing sensational happens I think that Arsenal and Shakhtar have booked the #1 and #2 spots in their group. Braga were excellent last night, the difference was provided by the experience (lack of, in Braga's case) and the quality of that Brazilian striker from Shakhtar, which I didn't remember from the previous seasons. And maybe a referree error too. They're pretty good for a team at the first CL participation, but it will take them a few years untill they can be a match for the CL greats.

RE Arsenal, by the way Chelsea are looking, I think they have better chances at winning a continental trophy rather than an internal one.

I suspect you'll be proven right (but hope you're wrong) Embarrassed We'll learn a lot about Arsenal's credentials as title contenders this weekend when they travel to play Chelsea. The latter have routinely rolled over the Gunners with little difficulty recently (same with Man Utd) and as you state, the less physical and more technical aspect of the champions league seems to suit Arsene Wenger's side better. Arsenal need to learn to 'win ugly' at places like Bolton, Stoke and Wolves etc

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2010 at 13:56
The first ten minutes of Inter - Wurdah Bremen (LOL) are excellent

Date Posted: September 29 2010 at 14:03
Valencia should be one up against Man U

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: October 01 2010 at 06:28
VERY frustrating night. I forgot that matches in Europa League start two hours earlier than those from the Champions League, so I caught just the end of Steaua - Napoli, and the extra time. The f**king referee did his best to steal Steaua, and managed to get Napoli to equalize in the last seconds of the seventh (!!!!) minute of extra time. f**k f**k f**k the bloody b*****d.

After that there was the second batch of EL matches, of which I was shown Man City vs. Juventus, but I couldn't enjoy it because of the bitterness.

Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 09:34
This just in

f**k wow LOL the ball started descending when it suddenly decided to take altitude again in order to go over the goalkeeper and into the net!

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 02:32
Anyone rememer this?

I read that he just broke the leg of Ben Arfa during the last match (Man City - Newcastle). What a b*****d.

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 04:56
The tackle against Ben Arfa by De Jong was a shocker but I think the photo example in the world cup final against Alonso was accidental (reckless yes, but accidental) Ref Howard Webb claims his view was obstructed, but has said subsequently it should have been a red card and not a yellow.Confused

BTW De Jong has been dropped from the Netherlands squad as a consequence of the Ben Arfa incident (How ironic, I think the Dutch are looking for PR opportunities after being branded the dirtiest team in the World Cup 2010)

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 05:03
^ I sort of agree on accidental, but then, if you're beeing reckless on a regular basis (he also broke someone's leg in a friendly this April, Netherlands vs. USA), then how accidental is that?

And also, agreed about the PR stunt.

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 05:34
Accidental ??

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 05:38
This is too good to stay in the Shred Room only LOL

Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Kinda nice of her she didn't book him.LOL

Posted By: Luca Pacchiarini
Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 05:16

VERY frustrating night. I forgot that matches in Europa League start two hours earlier than those from the Champions League, so I caught just the end of Steaua - Napoli, and the extra time. The f**king referee did his best to steal Steaua, and managed to get Napoli to equalize in the last seconds of the seventh (!!!!) minute of extra time. f**k f**k f**k the bloody b*****d.

After that there was the second batch of EL matches, of which I was shown Man City vs. Juventus, but I couldn't enjoy it because of the bitterness.
Yes, I watched that too.

the Napoli manager is a customer of the bank where my father works, the following day he explained that even himself couldn't believe the amount of extra time given Shocked

Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 19:34
What team are you a fan of, Luca? I ask so that I know what words do I pick when talking about Napoli Wink

I just read that Liverpool's new owner, John William Henry II, was in a prog band in his youth ShockedTongue

Good luck to the Liverpoodlians with the new chore.

Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 00:30

I just read that Liverpool's new owner, John William Henry II, was in a prog band in his youth ShockedTongue

New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I'll buy me a football team

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 03:24

What team are you a fan of, Luca? I ask so that I know what words do I pick when talking about Napoli Wink

I'm not a napoli fan... I'm an Empoli fan (serie B)
that manager lives in my town though, so I see him sometimes

Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 07:10

Looks like Hicks and Gillett will fight the takeover through the courts (if it goes ahead 'as is' the Royal Bank of Scotland get their loan repaid but Messrs H & G don't make a single cent profit on the club, and no-one will have a shred of sympathy for them either)

So, have Liverpool swapped two very dodgy Yanks who bought the club on borrowed money, for just another dodgy Yank who knows squat about the club's traditions and fanbase?

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 10:53

Accidental ??

That's not accidental. Watch that he is watching at him. That was a criminal action and he should sent off right there. And you all know that I hate Spain but he could did a big injury, lucky it wasn't the case...

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 11:06
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Accidental ??

That's not accidental. Watch that he is watching at him. That was a criminal action and he should sent off right there. And you all know that I hate Spain but he could did a big injury, lucky it wasn't the case...

They should have arrested him not just sent off

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 22:15
De Jong's foot is raised (which is reckless) long before Alonso intercepts the ball, of course he is looking at the Spaniard, that's where the ball now is.

Mercifully however, he wasn't seriously injured.(more luck than anything else admittedly)

Anyway, Scotland's already threadbare hopes of reaching Euro 2012 are looking distinctly dodgy after a 1-0 loss to the Czech Rep in Prague. Although the latter are a decent side (but not nearly as strong as they were 10 years ago) the Scots manager Levein decided to do a 'Walter Smith' and park two buses in front of our long suffering and probably valium addicted goalkeeper.
(Perhaps they were 'open -top' buses as we conceded from a set pieceConfused)
Defensive football is only justified if you have a lead to protect or don't concede - once Scotland fell behind in this game they had no Plan B to fall back upon and to compound matters, left their only in-form striker (Kenny Miller) on the bench. I don't have any great expectations from the current generation of Scottish footballers and would much prefer them having 'a real go' and trying to win games even if it meant zero points in qualification.

Still, it's only Spain next (the world champions) Ouch

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 09 2010 at 01:56

Lag Kamper Målforskjell Poeng
Norge 3 5-2 9Approve
Portugal 3 7-6 4Shocked
Danmark 2 2-3 3Wink
Kypros 2 5-6 1Stern Smile
Island 2 1-3 0Cry
wery nice outcome so far in the group stage and for now it looks good, and it should be easy to come futher after three victories, the next matches are against Denmark in March,

Resultater den siste uka
08.10 21:45 Portugal 3-1 Danmark
08.10 20:00 Kypros 1-2 Norge

-------------

Date Posted: October 09 2010 at 16:40
France - Romania 2-0. Excellent game, but in the end it does leave me with a bit of a bitter taste as the first French goal appears to have been scored after an initial offside position. At his only third game in these preliminaries, Blanc seems to have already created a promising new French team, after the shameful team of this year's World Cup was drastically cut down and only a few players survived into the current team which comprises a lot of youngsters. Hungry young talents is how I'd describe this new French team.
The Romanians played surprisingly well after previous disappointing matches, much better than I expected. They had a great second half, with three major goal opportunities missed before the French goal. I would have started to hope that this Romanian team might finally be a major team once again, but after three games without victory it seems like our chances for Euro 2012 are down to almost zero.
Stade de France was packed and the atmosphere was incredible, and I now regret chosing not to go and see the match live (even if we lost).

Date Posted: October 09 2010 at 16:45
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Lag Kamper Målforskjell Poeng
Norge 3 5-2 9Approve
Portugal 3 7-6 4Shocked
Danmark 2 2-3 3Wink
Kypros 2 5-6 1Stern Smile
Island 2 1-3 0Cry
wery nice outcome so far in the group stage and for now it looks good, and it should be easy to come futher after three victories, the next matches are against Denmark in March,

Resultater den siste uka
08.10 21:45 Portugal 3-1 Danmark
08.10 20:00 Kypros 1-2 Norge

Congratz mate Clap It's been a long time since I last saw a Norvegian team at a final tournament, maybe now you can make it big again? What are the hot players of this new Norvegian team? I admit I don't know any Norvegian players any more, unlike the times of 1998-2000.

Date Posted: October 10 2010 at 01:30

^ well you got John Carew of Aston Villa (before that Rosenborg, Valencia, Roma, Besiktas, Lyon), John Arne Riise of Roma (earlyer cubbs Monaco and Liverpool), and some local players

Brede Hangeland in Fullham, Steffen Iversen of Rosenborg (later Tottenham)

and the coach Egil "Drillo" Olsen

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2010 at 14:37
I keep switching between Scotland - Spain, France - Luxembourg and England - Muntenegro, I have to settle down damn it! I would also like to have The Netherlands - Sweden and Italy - Serbia but I guess I'm allready lucky enough to have where to pick from. Seems like something's happening in Italy, the match hasn't started yet - problems? Also, England plays in white & blue - that's a first for me, in 15 years of watching football!

Date Posted: October 12 2010 at 14:45
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

^ well you got John Carew of Aston Villa (before that Rosenborg, Valencia, Roma, Besiktas, Lyon), John Arne Riise of Roma (earlyer cubbs Monaco and Liverpool), and some local players

Brede Hangeland in Fullham, Steffen Iversen of Rosenborg (later Tottenham)

and the coach Egil "Drillo" Olsen

Thanks mate. I remember Carew and Riise from a decade ago... I didn't know they were still going. The new ones I don't know at all.

Date Posted: October 12 2010 at 14:49
if France dosent beat Luxenburg then something is wrong

and what do actualy San Marino play footbal for, they never win, they should give upp, nothing against San Marino probably a nice country (town), with nice culture, maybe some prog rock, food and the oldest country in Europe (so I think, maybe im wrong), But footbal they just can't pull it off

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2010 at 14:55
Italy Serbia abandoned after 10 mins due to crowd trouble.  Serbians throwing flairs and fireworks on the pitch

GoshShocked

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: October 12 2010 at 15:09
The serbian supporters, some of them, used the match as a demonstration about Kosovo... they managed to stop the game and attract media attention.

and the amazing thing is that the security system allowed them to enter in the grandstands with saws, armies and so on.

In the stadium of my hometown I'm subject to countless controls and checks... why hasn't this happened in this game too?

Date Posted: October 12 2010 at 15:26
Scotland Shocked

Date Posted: October 12 2010 at 16:00
Azarbajan beated Turkey 1 - 0 Shocked

Austria vs Belgia 4 - 4, no one wanted to loose it seems

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2010 at 16:04

Scotland Shocked

I should have waited for the moment but still that was a Shocked-worthy moment.

Aginor, why did you assume France won't win? Their new team is getting better and better.

Also, did England lose two points with Montenegro because they're lame or did Montenegro win one point with England because they're getting better and better?

Date Posted: October 12 2010 at 16:11
oh sorry... Im not realy following so close to french football

but Norway have actualy lost against Luxenburg and that is embarresing

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2010 at 05:16

Scotland Shocked

An emoticon history of the Scottish national football team:

Shocked followed by Ouch followed by Cry followed by Clap

Two goals down against the world champions, we clamber back to 2-2 and have the Spaniards on the ropes before in finest Krankies slapstick tradition, conspire to 'snatch defeat from the jaws of victory'.

If heroic failure were an Olympic event we would clean up for sure. Worse thing is, as much as we hate losing, we seem to hate winning more...

Naismith scored a fine goal and may be one for the future while our best defender (David Weir) is 74 years old with a turn of pace that would put only a glacier to shame.

-------------

Posted By: Thin_Man
Date Posted: October 13 2010 at 05:33
Just want to say Croatia won the friendly matchSmile against Norway last night, it was 2:1. It was very nice match though I expected a little bit more offensive Norway (they have three straight wins in qualifications), but in the end I'm very pleased how my team handled the situation after one goal behind.Thumbs Up

Posted By: refugee
Date Posted: October 14 2010 at 05:20
^ I didn’t see the match, but I’ve read that Norway had changed eight of their players from the match against Cyprus. Egil Olsen obviously wanted to try out some fresh talents.

And I’ve also read that Croatia were very good. Plus, I seriously think that The Future Now is an excellent album. Thumbs Up

-------------
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)

Posted By: Thin_Man
Date Posted: October 15 2010 at 06:00
Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

^ I didn’t see the match, but I’ve read that Norway had changed eight of their players from the match against Cyprus. Egil Olsen obviously wanted to try out some fresh talents.

And I’ve also read that Croatia were very good. Plus, I seriously think that The Future Now is an excellent album. Thumbs Up

Yes, you're right... Norway played with a lot of new players and I agree about The Future Now. Smile

Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 10:19
This looks like it has been the best match of the weekend so far:

The goals remind me of the World Cup so much LOL

Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 15:35
I have one thing to say about Liverpool: Bring in Martin O'Neill now. 

Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 16:13
^ Martin O'Neill is a big fan of Jethro Tull. Clap

Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 00:23

...... Even more reasons to like him. All those players and the manager who won our league title and two Euro champions titles is my heroes.

Martin O'Neill's should eventually return too and take over my club Nottingham Forest............. but a stint in Liverpool would be ideal for everyone. I have a very big soft spot for Liverpool. Their supporters deserves better than being dragged through the mud and so does the memories of those 96 Liverpool supporters went to a Liverpool vs Nottingham Forest football match and never returned (The Hillsborough Disaster). 

Martin O'Neill would be an ideal fit for Liverpool in their situation. I am pretty sure the new US owner will come to the same conclusion.   

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 13:40
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

I have one thing to say about Liverpool: Bring in Martin O'Neill now. 
Leave Roy Hodgson aloneAngryWink

Look at the great job he did  Fulham on a shoestring budget. O'Neill is excellent but not the right fit for Liverpool IMO

Now Rooney re Man.U, what a total palooka!!

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 13:42
Looking forward to some great matches tonight Big smile

I'll be watching Bayern - CFR live. 

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 14:30
:facepalm:

Posted By: Lizzy
Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 14:39

Bayern first scored when I turned on the TV. It's all my fault.Cry

-------------
Property of Queen Productions...

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 14:59
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Bayern first scored when I turned on the TV. It's all my fault.Cry

AngryLOL

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 15:41
I should have watched Real-Milan from the first moment, I don't know what I was thinking.

Interesting result tonight, looking forward to watching the highlights.

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 07:58
Barcelona smashed Sevilla last night Shocked

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 08:08
^ are you realy that shocked (i know that Sevilla is a good team but Barcelona is so much better ),

-------------

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 08:26
It hasn't passed that long time since Sevilla was crushing Barcelona LOL

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 08:53

It hasn't passed that long time since Sevilla was crushing Barcelona LOL

I guess being crushed by Braga isn't good for morale. LOL

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: November 02 2010 at 07:38
James showed me this:

LOL Ridiculous goal. However, if the referree did not whistle anything then it's all correct.

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 18:18
AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2010 at 10:49
Arsenal lost 0-1 to Newcastle and Chelsea isn't looking good against Liverpool, either Shocked

Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 20:54
November 29 will be a great day for football... Can't wait Approve

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 08:39

November 29 will be a great day for football... Can't wait Approve
Thumbs Up Maybe one of the most expected games in years. Now the things are quite balanced and it seems like Madrid will defend a little bit more than in the last year... that's always good... though I feel the defense of R. Madrid is weak and Barsa's attack is very dangerous...

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 21:43

Arsenal lost 0-1 to Newcastle and Chelsea isn't looking good against Liverpool, either Shocked

If Arsenal could sign a goalkeeper who doesn't go after a ball with the feckless abandon of a terrier puppy competing with a giraffe, they might even start to resemble title contenders. Time to open the purse strings Arsene...

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 08:59
Barcelona - Villareal was a good watch last night. Barca isn't as good as last year (and last year they weren't as good as two years back), but still they have players that are a pleasure to watch, like Iniesta especially. Messi's goal for 2-1 was incredible, he did the whole phase without ever looking once to the goal! Shocked

Messi's goal I was talking about comes at 2 minutes and 40 seconds into the video. Villareal's goal is a great one man solo show. And Barca's first goal, with a wonderful Xavi-Iniesta-Villa succession, made me think for a minute I was watching the Spanish national side. Heart

EDIT: you'd better mute the video if you don't like obnoxious Spanish football commentators LOL Also, Piquet (who is watching from the stadium) seems to have a "Punk Rock" t-shirt! Tongue

Also, to say that I am excited by the Inter - AC Milan match this night is an understatement. Big smile

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 09:53
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

If Arsenal could sign a goalkeeper who doesn't go after a ball with the feckless abandon of a terrier puppy competing with a giraffe, they might even start to resemble title contenders. Time to open the purse strings Arsene...

I was just getting ready to write how Fabianski had a lot of amazing saves right now against Everton, when he did awful at Everton's goal in the 88th minute (the match hasn't finished yet). I think I know what you mean. LOL

Date Posted: November 17 2010 at 13:03
Argentina beat Brazil 1-0 with a great goal of Leo Messi. Finally Argentina beated Brazil after 5 games without doing it. Not the best of games, but pretty fought and very intense. Messi is the best player in the World, and he can change a match in seconds...!!! Rawks

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: November 17 2010 at 17:01
This just defies words.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk