Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64870
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 18:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The 2010 MLB Season Thread
Posted By: Catcher10
Subject: The 2010 MLB Season Thread
Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 16:33

Does my tag name give it away??? Baseball is KING!! Yes I enjoy baseball...been playing all my life, Little League, high school, college...and even in the adult 21+ over leagues (hardball, not softball).

So.....your favorite team? How did they do this off-season? Are you excited about new additions or will it be same old, same old?

Seattle Mariners have done a great job of adding the talent they needed to get out of the cellar and into the post season...First have to win the West, which I think they will.

Discuss? Big smile

Replies:
Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 20:09
Yeah I'd be surprised if the Mariners didn't take their division.

I've a Phillies fan. I'm not very happy with the offseason we had. I will say our current team is better than what we ended the season with last year. Still I'm a little disheartened by the conduct of the team and their moves.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 21:12
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I've a Phillies fan. I'm not very happy with the offseason we had. I will say our current team is better than what we ended the season with last year. Still I'm a little disheartened by the conduct of the team and their moves.
Hey your going to have Roy Haliday for the whole season.He was our losing streak buster.LOL Okay not all the time but you know when he pitches you have a great chance of winning. 
No doubt Seattle is going to be better but i still don't think they make the playoffs.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 22:52
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

[QUOTE=Equality 7-2521]No doubt Seattle is going to be better but i still don't think they make the playoffs.
Baby steps first....need to win the West first

We just resigned Eric Beddard.......That's gonna leave a bruise...Dude is major damaged goods. Unless he pitches a dream season to help himself out next year.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 09:07

I'm a Detroit Tigers season ticket holder, but apparently I am incapable of posting the team logo.  We traded away 2 of our 4 all-stars for "prospects".  Sounds like a major step in the wrong direction to me.

-------------

Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 11:15
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

Hey your going to have Roy Haliday for the whole season.He was our losing streak buster.LOL Okay not all the time but you know when he pitches you have a great chance of winning. 
No doubt Seattle is going to be better but i still don't think they make the playoffs.

I realize he's an amazing pitcher, but I was referring to other moves made. Also I'm confused as to why this wasn't done last year when they wanted pretty much the same package.

If this was done last year along with the Cliff Lee deal I'm pretty confident that we would have been repeat winners.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 12:41
Yeaaaaaa! 2010, the year that the Buccos break the streak.

One can dream. Can't they? I've been drinking the Kool-Aid that the Buccos GM/President has been handing out.

Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 16:35
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

I've been drinking the Kool-Aid that the Buccos GM/President has been handing out.
LOLLOL

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 18:55
In JackZ we trust!  I might even actually go to a few Mariners games this year.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 10:51
I think many folks are now planning on going to Mariners games...probably Griffey's last season.

Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 11:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I think many folks are now planning on going to Mariners games...probably Griffey's last season.

Junior is a class act. I wish that he would have stayed healthy throughout his career so that he could have made a serious run at Aaron's HR record.

Date Posted: March 10 2010 at 18:15

Tigers lost to the Damn Yankees 9 to 8, but they managed 6 runs off of Joba the Hut.  The game was lost in the 9th inning during scrub time. 

I saw that the Pirates beat the Yanks the other day.  Time to break up them Pirates.

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: March 10 2010 at 18:24
Baseball is boring as hell unless you are playing it and/or drinking.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: March 10 2010 at 18:27
Who asked you? Angry  Get out of here you slimy dirtbag troll.

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: March 10 2010 at 18:42
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

That was my one obligatory MLB post of the season.

Now I've posted twice.  See what you've made me do?  Now who's the troll?!?! Angry

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: March 11 2010 at 01:15

Yeaaaaaa! 2010, the year that the Buccos break the streak.

One can dream. Can't they? I've been drinking the Kool-Aid that the Buccos GM/President has been handing out.

shame that's Jonestown Kool-Aid

The buccos ownership could care less about winning and are simply happy with pocketing the 10-20 million they receive each year from the "luxury" tax.  If the current owners actually wanted the team to succeed they'd have sold it to Mario Lemieux and faded off into the shadows where they belong.

Anyway, go Yankees and go My Fantasy Team

-------------

Time always wins.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: March 11 2010 at 10:44
great to see the mariners in the talk because the seahawks were pathetic, thinking they might play october ball.........

Posted By: Greg W
Date Posted: March 12 2010 at 13:32
Another year for this long time suffering Cubs fan to endure. I can already feel the pressure of sucking againOuch

Date Posted: April 03 2010 at 02:13

It's almost opening day so it's time for my always annual, always terrible preditions:

Divison Winners:
AL
East - NY Yankees - not picking against my team especially since they are much improved comming off a World Series victory
Central - Minn. Twins - was tempted to say Detroit but then I remembered they only have 1 starter and I expect him to crash back down to earth again any time now
West - Texas Rangers - Seattle is much improved and LA will be strong again, despite the lack of anything to like on paper, but I have Texas outscoring opponents on their way to right around 94 wins.
Wild Card - Boston Dead Sox - as much as I'd love to say Tampa instead I just don't trust their pitching as much
NL
East - Philly Phillies -what's to say, they are solid top to bottom
Central - St. Louis Cardinals - still mad at them for letting the Red Sox win a Series but they have something divison-run-ups-to-be don't have: a coach that isn't Dusty Baker
West - Colorado Rockies - a lot less boring than a Dodgers and, in stark contrast to LA, Colorado's coach is underrated
Wild Card - LA Dodgers - they have too much talent not to stumble on enough victories for a playoff birth

Random predictions (more later):
- The already bloated NL Central adds 2 more teams: the Oakland A's and Seattle Mariners
- My hometown team, the Pittsburgh Pirates, continue in their tradition of allowing their prospects to rot in the minors with the already 24 year old Pedro Alvarez by waiting till August to call him up.  Alvarez, for his part, will look at the Pirates record when called up and decline, chosing to stay with the league minor team he is already on.

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: April 09 2010 at 17:37
After 3 games the Buccos are above .500.

Woot!

Go figure, they take 2 of 3 from the Dodgers.

Date Posted: April 09 2010 at 23:45
I was at Tigers' Opening Day.  As always, the biggest holiday of the year here in the Motor City.  Tigers beat the Indians 5 to 2.  We froze are butts off.  They were saying that there would be a high of 50, but it only got to 40. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2010 at 13:43
Buccos give up 13 runs in one inning.

Yikes.

Too bad they couldn't have gotten Leo Mazzone as their pitching coach.

Date Posted: April 12 2010 at 17:19
I made it to games 2 and 3 which were also both Tiger wins, so I am now 3 and 0 on the season.  Couldn't make it today, and they got spanked by the Royals. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2010 at 18:06

I was at Tigers' Opening Day.  As always, the biggest holiday of the year here in the Motor City.  Tigers beat the Indians 5 to 2.  We froze are butts off.  They were saying that there would be a high of 50, but it only got to 40. 

I have friends in Twin cities.......same issue frozen beer at the new outdoor park...baseball outside in Minn....WHAT!!!??

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2010 at 18:08
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

That was my one obligatory MLB post of the season.

Now I've posted twice.  See what you've made me do?  Now who's the troll?!?! Angry

My fav troll pic....LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:00
Tigers and Mariners play three this weekend.  Go Tigers!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 17:09

I have friends in Twin cities.......same issue frozen beer at the new outdoor park...baseball outside in Minn....WHAT!!!??

It's tragic when the baseball team in your town is willing to play outside while the football team is not.  Grow a pair Viks, Lions, Rams, and whomever-I-may-be-forgetting-but-am-too-lazy-to-look-up.

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: April 17 2010 at 19:28

Game 1 = Mariners.....

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2010 at 22:49

Game 2 = Mariners (and the series..)

-------------

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: April 18 2010 at 00:56
Yanks are off to a good start.

Wait, what??

I don't know how I feel about this.
So used to them slacking and getting hot in June...

Date Posted: April 19 2010 at 06:08

Game 2 = Mariners (and the series..)
LOL  That didn't quite go according to plan.  Oh well, at least the Tigs won game 3.  Now off to Hollywood and 4 with the Angels. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2010 at 10:01
High hopes for the Mariners, Milton Bradley, what a deal, obviously his productive year in Texas was a fluke, won`t be to easy to deal him off after this season

Date Posted: April 19 2010 at 10:02
Hey, maybe the detroit tigers want him

Date Posted: April 19 2010 at 10:03
No thank you!

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2010 at 10:04
Yeah, I thought not, at least Jimmy Piersall had some class in his nutty behavior

Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 13:39
Buccos sweep the Reds.

Big smile

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 13:17
The Buccos need some pitching.  Duke and Maholm are not going to carry this team.

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 13:28
Fernando Rodney has saved two games in a row against the Tigers and fairly efficiently too.  He was never that efficient when he was a Tiger.

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2010 at 14:15

The Buccos need some pitching.  Duke and Maholm are not going to carry this team.

Duke and Maholm themselves are only suited to be 4th or 5th starters.  Can't really look to their minor league teams for future starters either, sadly.  Their one prospects, Lincoln, might work his way into the rotation, when the Buccos feel like paying him, but even he is just number 3 starter at best.

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: April 22 2010 at 21:05
Milwaukee blows out the Buccos, wow, 20 - 0

Date Posted: April 23 2010 at 01:55
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Milwaukee blows out the Buccos, wow, 20 - 0

Yup I saw that. No pitching and no hitting in the last two games.

They teased me by sweeping the Reds. Or are the Reds really that bad?

Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 16:35

High hopes for the Mariners, Milton Bradley, what a deal, obviously his productive year in Texas was a fluke, won`t be to easy to deal him off after this season

I'll get rid of him to get someone who can produce runs......Mariners 1 Royals 3...with Felix picthing last night!!! What!!!!!!!
We sux the last 2 series.......

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2010 at 09:08
Going into the 9th inning the Tigers had 0 runs, 3 hits, and 3 errors against Liriano and the Twins.  The Twins did us a favor by bringing in their closer Rauch, but we still only managed 1 hit off of him.  Not sure what the problem was.  First game home after 11 days on the road and the Tigers looked really flat.  Not sure if it was the freezing cold weather, jet lag, being fat and happy from home cooking and a night in bed with the ol' ladies, or the Twins are just a far better team. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2010 at 11:59
OMG!!! Mariners won.....and we scored more than 1...They must have talked to Yogi
"...team with the most runs wins..."

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2010 at 07:45
What a game last night!!!! The Twins jumped out to a 6 to 1 lead, and the Tigers came back to win 11 to 6, granted with a little help from our friends, the Umpires, Shocked who totally blew the call on Denard Span's catch and dropped ball, which led to the Tigers last 6 runs. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2010 at 19:04
I'm not so sure the call was blown. I'm not a fan of it, but look at the way the rule is written:

Originally posted by MLB.com Official Rules MLB.com Official Rules wrote:

In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control of the ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.

The wording hear leaves the call up to some judgement I think. Can we say the release of the ball from his possession was intentional? I don't think we can.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2010 at 19:04
Yesterday's Phillies games was more exciting anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 07:07

I'm not so sure the call was blown. I'm not a fan of it, but look at the way the rule is written:

Originally posted by MLB.com Official Rules MLB.com Official Rules wrote:

In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control of the ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.

The wording hear leaves the call up to some judgement I think. Can we say the release of the ball from his possession was intentional? I don't think we can.
I certainly wasn't complaining since it was to the Tigers' advantage, but he did take 2 or 3 steps with the ball in his glove and then it came out while he was reaching in to grab it and throw it back into the infield. 

Anyhow, D-Train pitched awesome yesterday, holding the Twins off of the board and walking only 2 batters in 6+ innings.  It will be a huge boost to the Tigers if outings like yesterday can be the norm for this guy.  It will also make a great human interest story given his on-the-mound anxiety issues.  Anyhow, it was a beautiful day for a game accept for being overcast.  But then any day at the ball park is better than a day at the office.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 13:33
Cliff Lee makes his Mariners debut tonight! Should be a good one as they are against the Rangers, lets see if he can keep their bats quiet and let our maingy offense score some runs...This is a huge statement night....Bedard is suppose to make a start by end May...if he can stay healthy....hmmm
King Felix
Cliff Lee
Bedard...

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 17:12
Yeaaaaaaa! Buccos have won 3 in a row.

Date Posted: May 01 2010 at 12:04

Holy krapp!!! Lee pitches a gem and the Mariners support him with ummm ZERO runs!!!!!! Pathetic....I really hope Byrnes is benched for the next ohhh 100 GAMES OR SO for that embarrasing squeeze play debacle he performed.

Do you guys realize he made 2 outs with one AB!!!!??? Hanging Ichiro out to dry on the squeeze and then looking at strike 3.....That's horrible. Comeeeeeoooonnn Seattle

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2010 at 13:27
The Buccos are 10 - 15 right now with three to play against the Cubbies. Looks like last place in the division won't be far off.

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 13:59
A sad day in Motown yesterday with the passing of the Hall of Fame Voice of the Detroit Tigers, Ernie Harwell.  That and the Tigers getting beat by a triple and a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th inning against the Twins. New stadium, same result.

-------------

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 15:13
^Wished you could have listened to the Dodger broadcast last night.  Vin Scully related a lot of stories about Ernie. 

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 15:15
During the Tiger game broadcast last night, they played a lot of Ernie clips in between innings.  Fittingly, about an inning after they announced he had passed away, a rainbow appeared in the outfield at the new Twins' stadium, where the Tigers were playing last night.

-------------

Posted By: RUSHFANATIC63
Date Posted: May 06 2010 at 07:59
i'm a lifelong cubs fan,so nobody shares the grief i do when it comes to baseball.Broken Heart

-------------
"there is trouble with the trees
for the maples want more sunlight and the oaks ignore their pleas"
[RUSH-The Trees]

Date Posted: May 08 2010 at 22:31
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

^Wished you could have listened to the Dodger broadcast last night.  Vin Scully related a lot of stories about Ernie. 

It will be a sad day when Vin steps down. He is the last voice from the Golden era of Baseball.

Date Posted: May 08 2010 at 22:33
Originally posted by RUSHFANATIC63 RUSHFANATIC63 wrote:

i'm a lifelong cubs fan,so nobody shares the grief i do when it comes to baseball.Broken Heart

It can't be easy being the butt of most Cardinal jokes. I love Wrigley Field though.

Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 15:59

Busy week this week.  The Yanks are in for 4 and then the Red Sox come in for 3 games.  Tonight they are doing a tribute to Ernie prior to the game, so I must be going now if I am going to make it down there in time for it.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 16:51
Seattle offense came to life Sunday....via guys from the AAA Tacoma Rainiers...looks like we need to swap rosters.

-------------

Date Posted: May 11 2010 at 05:44
The Tigers beat the Yankees 5 to 4, including getting the Yankees out 1 - 2 - 3 in the 9th inning.  (Swisher - Texieria - ARod) This would have been unheard of during the Todd Jones and Fernando Rodney administrations.  Magglio made a div...err sliding catch with 2 outs in the 8th and 2 men on base to save the game and to hold Derek Jeter without a hit. Shocked  Definitely an emotional night, starting with the moving tribute to Ernie Harwell, and followed by a pretty good game and win against the hated Yankees.

-------------

Date Posted: May 11 2010 at 12:25
Sad to see that the Buccos are excited by an 4 inning, 84 pitch outing from Ohlendorf. Why can't this team get any pitching?

Date Posted: May 12 2010 at 16:08

Sad to see that the Buccos are excited by an 4 inning, 84 pitch outing from Ohlendorf. Why can't this team get any pitching?

Poor scouting, poor management, and poor ownership

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: May 12 2010 at 16:12

Jr sleeping in the clubhouse.....if true who FRIGGIN cares!! What happens in the clubhouse-stays in the clubhouse...

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:35
Well.....the Mariners officially SUCK!!! Loose today to the O's 6-5.....2 HR given up in the 8th (one a grandslam). Took a 5-1 lead into the 8th and blew it huge....

Houston...we have major problems in Seattle.

Sadly we continue to Tampa for 3 games and then Oakland for 2.....Mariners could go 1-7 on this road trip.
Horrible. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:37
For all you Pirate fans out there this Onion article is for you:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pnc-park-sold-out-for-fan-euthanasia-night,17359/ - http://www.theonion.com/articles/pnc-park-sold-out-for-fan-euthanasia-night,17359/

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:38
The Tigers split the doubleheader with the Yankees yesterday winning 2-0 in the afternoon game and losing 8-0 in the night game.  It was 2-0 going into the 9th inning so it wasn't quite as bad as it sounds.

The Tigers lead the Yankees 6 -0 in the bottom of the 8th, so if they can hold on that would mean the Tigers taking 3 out of 4 for the series, which is an excellent result from our point of view.

GAME OVER - Tigers win 6 to 0.  The Tigers shut the Yankees out twice in the series.  The Yankees had not been shutout yet this year coming in to the series. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 15:10

Well.....the Mariners officially SUCK!!! Loose today to the O's 6-5.....2 HR given up in the 8th (one a grandslam). Took a 5-1 lead into the 8th and blew it huge....

Sadly we continue to Tampa for 3 games and then Oakland for 2.....Mariners could go 1-7 on this road trip.
Horrible. 
That is really shocking.  With all of the Mariners' off-season moves, I really thought that they would be the team to beat in the West.  It is still early and they definitely have the starting pitching arms that can turn the team in the right direction pretty quickly (doesn't help with 1-0 and 2-1 losses but....) 

-------------

Posted By: Evolutionary Sleeper
Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 15:11

The Tigers split the doubleheader with the Yankees yesterday winning 2-0 in the afternoon game and losing 8-0 in the night game.  It was 2-0 going into the 9th inning so it wasn't quite as bad as it sounds.

The Tigers lead the Yankees 6 -0 in the bottom of the 8th, so if they can hold on that would mean the Tigers taking 3 out of 4 for the series, which is an excellent result from our point of view.

GAME OVER - Tigers win 6 to 0.  The Tigers shut the Yankees out twice in the series.  The Yankees had not been shutout yet this year coming in to the series. Clap

BOO!

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 15:12
Originally posted by Evolutionary Sleeper Evolutionary Sleeper wrote:

BOO!
At least you have good tastes in hockey teams. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 17:11

Horrible. 
That is really shocking.  With all of the Mariners' off-season moves, I really thought that they would be the team to beat in the West.  It is still early and they definitely have the starting pitching arms that can turn the team in the right direction pretty quickly (doesn't help with 1-0 and 2-1 losses but....) 

Well they are not on a good path right now going into June which is usually a great month for the better teams. Usually by this point the early jitters are gone, seeing the ball pretty well, arms are strongest and legs are good.
By All Star break they could be out of it if the train is not righted soon......Although the AL West is turning out to be the toilet division...we are in last place but only 6 games out of first....WHAT!!!
The A's will implode after June, Texas will hit a ton of HR but still loose 12-13.......Angels will get it going soon.

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 21:57

Horrible. 

Well they are not on a good path right now going into June which is usually a great month for the better teams. Usually by this point the early jitters are gone, seeing the ball pretty well, arms are strongest and legs are good.
By All Star break they could be out of it if the train is not righted soon......Although the AL West is turning out to be the toilet division...we are in last place but only 6 games out of first....WHAT!!!
The A's will implode after June, Texas will hit a ton of HR but still loose 12-13.......Angels will get it going soon.

I think Texas is going to hang around this year actually, their pitching (outside the "ace" they got in the offseason) has been very solid and their offense is just starting to bubble up.  If fantasy baseball heartthrob Nelson Cruz could stay healthy he'd be an MVP candidate and we all know what Vlad and Hamilton are capable of if they are in the lineup.
Other than the signing Cliff Lee and already having king Felix what lead to all the preseason hype surrounding Seattle?  This honestly confused me.

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 22:27
Ah, the M's.  We have the makings of another classically dysfunctional season 'round here.  Very good pitching -- maybe Felix is done with his usual May collapse, Lee is solid, and Vargas and Fister are great surprises.  Defense has shown more than a few lapses however.  Is any regular in the starting lineup, maybe other than Ichiro, hitting over .200?  Didn't Felix have a slam a few years ago.  Maybe just go without the DH when he's pitching.  Didn't look at Lee's average with the Phillies, but it couldn't be much worse than .200.

The cretin Sweeney is threatening to punch out anyone who doesn't have Jr.'s back.  Jackie Z is already backing off, talking about 'it's a long term process we're executing here.'  And so it is.  All I know, they don't get my $ (as in,sitting in the overpriced seats, drinking the overpriced beer, muching on the overpriced dogs) until I have a reasonable expectation of even a competitive game...win or lose doesn't matter. 

Yes, the division is baseball's Siberia this year.  But unless this crew can roust up some offense, as Dylan said, they "ain't goin' nowhere."  

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2010 at 13:52
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Ah, the M's.  We have the makings of another classically dysfunctional season 'round here.  Very good pitching -- maybe Felix is done with his usual May collapse, Lee is solid, and Vargas and Fister are great surprises.  Defense has shown more than a few lapses however.  Is any regular in the starting lineup, maybe other than Ichiro, hitting over .200?  Didn't Felix have a slam a few years ago.  Maybe just go without the DH when he's pitching.  Didn't look at Lee's average with the Phillies, but it couldn't be much worse than .200.

The cretin Sweeney is threatening to punch out anyone who doesn't have Jr.'s back.  Jackie Z is already backing off, talking about 'it's a long term process we're executing here.'  And so it is.  All I know, they don't get my $ (as in,sitting in the overpriced seats, drinking the overpriced beer, muching on the overpriced dogs) until I have a reasonable expectation of even a competitive game...win or lose doesn't matter. 

Yes, the division is baseball's Siberia this year.  But unless this crew can roust up some offense, as Dylan said, they "ain't goin' nowhere."  

Think the M's would be interested in a Manny for Lee trade? The Dodgers need pitching and the M's need hitting.

Date Posted: May 16 2010 at 13:52
The Buccos are 5-0 against the Cubbies this year. What gives?

Date Posted: May 16 2010 at 14:18

Think the M's would be interested in a Manny for Lee trade? The Dodgers need pitching and the M's need hitting.
Actually I think Lee will be traded by the end of July.  There's going to be a contending team that needs a rent-an-arm, especially of his caliber, and the M's have no hope of keeping him here, so the Seattle crew will end up with a boatload of prospects or perhaps a hitter or two.  It's a bit depressing to already be thinking of next year in May.  Who knows, maybe they can go on a tear.

Regarding averages, I forgot Gutierrez, who is hitting .300.  He and Ichiro are the only two whose average begins with a 3 Ouch

-------------

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: May 16 2010 at 17:21
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Baseball is boring as hell unless you are playing it and/or drinking.

Fortunately, I'm doing both. Cool

Date Posted: May 16 2010 at 17:23
I'm an Astros fan and my boss is an Indians fan. Looks like neither of us will have much to brag about this seasonCry

Date Posted: May 17 2010 at 08:48
Nice weekend for the Tigers taking 2 out of 3 from the Red Sox.  Pretty happy to go 5 and 2 against the Yankees and Red Sox this week.  That is usually a 2 and 5 stretch.  

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2010 at 12:41
So the Buccos pitching comes through again and gets them back to normal with a 1 run loss. And here I was thinking that they could have swept the Cubbies throughout their season series with them. NOT!

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: May 18 2010 at 20:00
My cousin made his debut with the Indians today- getting 2 hits in his first two at bats.

Im stoked.Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2010 at 20:31
^ Jason Donald?
He any good?

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: May 19 2010 at 13:34
Buccos actually won a game against the Phils. Whoa, the pitching actually held up.

Date Posted: May 19 2010 at 15:08
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

My cousin made his debut with the Indians today- getting 2 hits in his first two at bats.

Im stoked.Tongue
That is pretty awesome.  Being a Tigers' fan I'll have to root against him, Wink but otherwise I hope that he does well.

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2010 at 22:02
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

^ Jason Donald?
He any good?

Well of Course! But I am biased

Still can't figure the Giants out.....

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2010 at 23:44

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2010 at 23:56
Good Lord, hell hath frozen over.  Mariners have scored, count 'em, 15 runs through 7 innings.  I'm not sure they scored that many last week.

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2010 at 00:00
And let's give it up for those record setting Blue Jays! ClapLOL

-------------

Posted By: Gamemako
Date Posted: May 22 2010 at 00:16
How about Brooks Conrad's walk-off grand slam on the 20th? Braves were down by 6 at the start of the 9th, and a 30-year-old career-minor-leaguer pinch-hits a grand slam to win the game.

-------------
Hail Eris!

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 08:22

Good Lord, hell hath frozen over.  Mariners have scored, count 'em, 15 runs through 7 innings.  I'm not sure they scored that many last week.

Sorry hav'nt been around much...out of the country on business...back in another week. Finally got some free time here...Yea I was shocked with the 15 runs....heck that's like all the runs they scored in the previous 6-7 games ..hahaha!

Last night loose 2-1 on 9 hits!!!???? That's the pathetic part of this teams offense...there is none. I only bitch when there is a reason....and plenty of them right now.

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 12:54
Jose Lima is dead at 37

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP)— http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5212/;_ylt=Aq9pc15cXz8JbYtONxtb5Lmpu7YF - Jose Lima http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5212/news;_ylt=Av8vhiuSfFsUPna0oeuUgeSpu7YF - (notes) , who pitched in the Major Leagues for 13 seasons, has died of a heart attack. He was 37.

His winter-league team in the Dominican Republic says Lima died early Sunday morning in Los Angeles.

Tomas Jimenez of the Aguilas Cibaenas said the team was in shock because Lima seemed to be healthy.

Lima compiled a Major League record of 89-102 with the http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/det/;_ylt=ArnitfTa0DdQjzDwNhgEhoGpu7YF - Detroit Tigers , http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/kan/;_ylt=AvumjgIe5IQPjP6NQoRHWVOpu7YF - Kansas City Royals , http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/lad/;_ylt=Aia0CW7LuuRX.HJbj7WMT.Gpu7YF - Los Angeles Dodgers , http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/nym/;_ylt=Aiqzn5YFt4qYvfl1WDahIoSpu7YF - New York Mets and http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/hou/;_ylt=AuK1tcBYdI7c7v7joQS0riKpu7YF - Houston Astros . He won 21 games in 1999 with the Astros.

His last Major League season was with the Mets in 2006, when he went 0-4 with an ERA of 9.87.

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 13:03
Sad news, he was quite the pitcher for a few years with the Astros.

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 13:57
Long before the internet, there used to be discussion threads on the bathroom walls of sports bars. 
My favorite went like this:

Jesus is the answer

A few days later:

What is the question?

And a few more days later:

Who is Felipe Alou's brother?

LOL

RIP Jose Lima

Cry

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 14:17
Nice to see the Tigers in Dodger Stadium.  (Not just 'cause they won the first two either) It was cool to see Brennen Boesch come back home and get a HR and 2B.  It was cool that all of the crowd around his family cheered for him.  That was a long HR as well and he got every bit of it. If I heard the commentary right he grew up in Garden Grove where I did as well.  I read Sparky Anderson was at the game yesterday as well.  On Friday night during the Tigers batting practice the Dodger video crew ran a 10 minute tribute to Ernie Harwell. Dustin Hoffman was at the Friday game too.   The only ugly thing was Jackson getting beaned in the 8th yesterday.  Hope he is okay. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 19:57
The Tigers pulled one off today 6 to 2.  That was a fun series to watch, although I would have preferred different results.  They showed Larry King in the crowd during the Friday game.  They didn't mention Dustin Hoffman, at least while I was watching.

I am really sad to hear about Jose Lima.  He had quite a boisterous personality.  There has been some talk recently about our closer Jose Valverde and how he brings back memories of Jose Lima's antics on the mound.  Truly sad news.

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 22:25
carlos silva 6-0, what were the Mariners thinking? That Milton Bradley would have a breakout year?

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 11:29
RIP Jose Lima 37 is far to young

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 21:23

carlos silva 6-0, what were the Mariners thinking? That Milton Bradley would have a breakout year?

well, milton bradley is never a good decision but neither is hoping on any kind of Carlos Silva bandwagon.  Silva's season so far is one of those bizarre aberrations that happens in baseball sometimes.  If he finishes the season with a winning record I'll be shocked.

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 13:13
The Buccos doing what they can to help the Reds into first place.

Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 20:20
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

well, milton bradley is never a good decision but neither is hoping on any kind of Carlos Silva bandwagon.  Silva's season so far is one of those bizarre aberrations that happens in baseball sometimes.  If he finishes the season with a winning record I'll be shocked.
They were playing the odds.  Silva was a complete waste of space as a Mariner.  I don't care if he wins the Cy Young, two teams jumped at the opportunity to swap major problems so it was a good move.  We'll see how it turns out.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk