Print Page | Close Window

Squarepusher

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64934
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 03:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Squarepusher
Posted By: The Pessimist
Subject: Squarepusher
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 15:51
One of the newer additions to this site, I present:

I love this guy, I really do. Astonishing stuff.

Anyone who is turned on by this music quickly say "AYE".

And discuss

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Replies:
Posted By: NJCat_11
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 15:58
One helluva musician.
I'd like to know which instruments other than bass and drums he plays in his compositions.

-------------
"We are Defenders of the Faith"
              - Rob Halford

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 16:19
It's good but I couldn't listen to the entire album if all tracks were in the same vein. Sounds like a dub version of weather report crossed with gamalon or uzeb.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: NJCat_11
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 16:21
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

It's good but I couldn't listen to the entire album if all tracks were in the same vein.

I'd have to agree.
Great for passing study time though.

-------------
"We are Defenders of the Faith"
              - Rob Halford

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 16:26
Squarepusher is absolutely fantastic.

I love the 4 or so albums I have; I need some more.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 17:27
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Which albums do you own?

And at lucas: Squarepusher is one of those rare artists that has a unique characteristic in almost every song. Magical really, I'd recommend listening to a whole album. Your oppinion may change

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 17:28
AYE I love Squarepusher. Isn't he usually classified as breakcore? At least on some albums? I don't remember( or particularly care).

His music lends itself well to music videos.

Interesting.

On a side note, has Venetian Snares ever been suggested?

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 14:37
Never given Squarepusher a go, but I've always enjoyed what I've heard on the radio and suchlike. Hello Everything and Just a Souvenir are on Spotify. Which should I go for?

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 15:11
The first YouTube sample is classic prog, the second is modern tehno. Which path should I follow? LOL

Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 15:13
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Never given Squarepusher a go, but I've always enjoyed what I've heard on the radio and suchlike. Hello Everything and Just a Souvenir are on Spotify. Which should I go for?

I love Hello Everything. Try that.

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 15:14
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Which albums do you own?

And at lucas: Squarepusher is one of those rare artists that has a unique characteristic in almost every song. Magical really, I'd recommend listening to a whole album. Your oppinion may change

Hello Everything, Ultravisitor, Hard Normal Daddy, Go Plastic

-------------

Posted By: topofsm
Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 01:33
Squarepusher is on the site? Great!

This can be another excuse to:

1. Check out more music by them/him.
2. Sway the site to more IDM based additions like Aphex Twin and Venetian Snares (I'm not being faceitous, and I know they've been rejected before, but whether they belong here or not I'd enjoy being able to rate and review their albums)

EDIT: I see he's only been added for Jazz rock/fusion, which unbeknownst to me he has made albums of, this slightly dissapoints me as it makes my #2 on my list less likely.CryTongue

-------------

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 02:08
Although the PA search failed to find the entry in an astonishing new low, I'm glad we got him on. I'm not surprised he got snuck into fusion rather than electronic, since the electronic team seems completely unwilling to move past ambient, but it's insane that we now have him here but not Aphex Twin.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 02:18
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Although the PA search failed to find the entry in an astonishing new low, I'm glad we got him on. I'm not surprised he got snuck into fusion rather than electronic, since the electronic team seems completely unwilling to move past ambient, but it's insane that we now have him here but not Aphex Twin.

I still don't know why Aphex Twin hasn't been added already.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 03:19
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I still don't know why Aphex Twin hasn't been added already.

Well said guys Clap.  It is truly beyond comprehension.

If any artist sums up the words "truly progressive" surely it's Aphex Twin.

You're absolutely right about the electronic progressive section too.  The likes of Boards Of Canada, The Black Dog, BT, Venetian Snares, FSOL and Plaid etc should surely be on there.  They're a damn sight more progressive than the ambient acts that already grace that genre here on PA.

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 05:40
Much as I hate getting involved in these endless debates about who should/shouldn't be included in the archives, isn't the reason for Aphex Twin et. al. getting 'overlooked' the total absence of a rock element to their music? This is a Progressive Rock site (albeit with a pretty broad and inclusive interpretation of that term), rather than an all-out progressive music site.

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 05:57

I didn't listen all his albums, but from what I know, Hard Normal Daddy is most jazz-fusion based. Few others are more electronics (or let say drum'n'bass). So - your choise depends on what you prefer to hear. 

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 05:58

Much as I hate getting involved in these endless debates about who should/shouldn't be included in the archives, isn't the reason for Aphex Twin et. al. getting 'overlooked' the total absence of a rock element to their music? This is a Progressive Rock site (albeit with a pretty broad and inclusive interpretation of that term), rather than an all-out progressive music site.

I agree with you. Our "electronic" section is concerned with the music obtained by experimenting with the instrumental set of early prog bands - analog synths, guitars, minimals percussion. The purpose was no to include any good music that was ever known as "electronic". So there's both a musical and a historical limit to what we can add.

At least that's how I understood the whole thing.

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 06:32

Anyone heard about Madlib's project Yesterday's New Quintet, a cross between jazz/funk and electronic music.

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 11:00

I love Hello Everything. Try that.

Tried it, liked it. Squarepusher = good thing.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 11:40
Yep! If Squarepusher is in the archives, then I guess Aphex Twin probably should. This is bound to open acn of worms..

I've no objection to either being here, as they are both 'progressive' in their approach to making music. I have 'Hard Normal Daddy' 'Go Plastic' and 'Selection 16' by Squarepusher. All pretty damn good!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 11:50
If I had to resort to the "If X is here, Y should be here too" argument, I would point out that Aphex Twin's influences are for the most part here on PA. On Wikipedia he mentions Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Brian Eno, Can, and Neu!.

Anyways, Squarepusher. I have Go Plastic and love it, what should I get next?

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 11:56
As far as the whole Aphex twin thing goes, I'd also like to see Venetian Snares and The Flashbulb here as well. But as far as our opinions go, the Electronic Team do know what they are doing, have been doing it for a very long time, and whatever they say goes really. There is no use debating it unless for fun. They have stated their reasons, and Progressive Electronic doesn't refer to "any electronic music that is progressive", but the guidelines are way more specific than that and have been from the beginning.

If these artists are going to be included, then we'd have to create a new subgenre, as they don't fit in anywhere. the reason I suggested Squarepusher was purely because a few of his albums are purely Jazz Fusion. There is nothing IDM related in the inclusion.

Also, endorsing Trouserpress's comment, SP is actually the only real "Rock" style of IDM on my iPod, I don't know about anyone else. Hence why he fits in here. Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, Blaerg, the Flashbulb and the myriad of other progressive/experimental IDM artists out there are nowhere near rock, therefore, why should they be on a Prog Rock site? SP are very rock based, therefore they are here.

Anyone from the JR team want to either correct me or back me up would be very much appreciated

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 11:57
And for anyone on this thread who isn't in possession of Hard Normal Daddy or Feed Me Weird Things, then I suggest you go out and buy them immediately

Two of my favourite Jazz albums ever, you will not look back.

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 19:04

As far as the whole Aphex twin thing goes, I'd also like to see Venetian Snares and The Flashbulb here as well. But as far as our opinions go, the Electronic Team do know what they are doing, have been doing it for a very long time, and whatever they say goes really. There is no use debating it unless for fun. They have stated their reasons, and Progressive Electronic doesn't refer to "any electronic music that is progressive", but the guidelines are way more specific than that and have been from the beginning.

If these artists are going to be included, then we'd have to create a new subgenre, as they don't fit in anywhere. the reason I suggested Squarepusher was purely because a few of his albums are purely Jazz Fusion. There is nothing IDM related in the inclusion.

Also, endorsing Trouserpress's comment, SP is actually the only real "Rock" style of IDM on my iPod, I don't know about anyone else. Hence why he fits in here. Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, Blaerg, the Flashbulb and the myriad of other progressive/experimental IDM artists out there are nowhere near rock, therefore, why should they be on a Prog Rock site? SP are very rock based, therefore they are here.

Anyone from the JR team want to either correct me or back me up would be very much appreciated

Nothing to add except for some Clap

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 20:51

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but as far as I know there's not much rock in Klaus Schulze or Brian Eno, either...

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: SergiUriah
Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 21:01
WTF music is that? And connections with prog? Iīm only 37 years old. Not an old classic prog Mr. Scrooge...(necesary note, excuse me).

I understand nothing ībout post-modern music. Jon Anderson.

-------------
http://img229.imageshack.us/i/bonfirma.jpg/">

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 21:04
^ The first YouTube sample in the first post is jazz rock fusion like it was made in the 70s.

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 22:10
> I donīt believe in post-modern music tags...sorry.

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 22:33

As far as the whole Aphex twin thing goes, I'd also like to see Venetian Snares and The Flashbulb here as well. But as far as our opinions go, the Electronic Team do know what they are doing, have been doing it for a very long time, and whatever they say goes really. There is no use debating it unless for fun. They have stated their reasons, and Progressive Electronic doesn't refer to "any electronic music that is progressive", but the guidelines are way more specific than that and have been from the beginning.If these artists are going to be included, then we'd have to create a new subgenre, as they don't fit in anywhere. the reason I suggested Squarepusher was purely because a few of his albums are purely Jazz Fusion. There is nothing IDM related in the inclusion.Also, endorsing Trouserpress's comment, SP is actually the only real "Rock" style of IDM on my iPod, I don't know about anyone else. Hence why he fits in here. Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, Blaerg, the Flashbulb and the myriad of other progressive/experimental IDM artists out there are nowhere near rock, therefore, why should they be on a Prog Rock site? SP are very rock based, therefore they are here.Anyone from the JR team want to either correct me or back me up would be very much appreciated

Hi ... I'm on the JR team (straightens beret).
ahem .. Squarepusher was added to JR over someone like Aphex because Square is a musician, (as opposed to programmer/DJ), Square works with other JR musicians and can play his music live if he so chooses etc.

Having said that I do support some of the current electronica scene for PA, but let's break this down.

1) I think we should leave our current electronic genre as is, there is a very clear and consistent vision of what they want prog-electro to be and it doesn't include drum machines and I am OK with that.

So keeping in mind that we wouldn't alter our current electro genre:

2) The main electronica bands I wouldn't mind seeing on PA (possibly in a whole new PA genre) are those that play live as bands and have classic prog type attributes ie arrangements etc. Some bands like this include STS9 and Pnuma Trio, but there are more.

3) Different from that group, because their music isn't necessarily played live, is Aphex Twin, V Snares, FSOL etc. I suppose groups 2 and 3 could be combined in some new kind of genre, whatever.

Anyway, what I am saying is we might want to consider groups 2 and 3 separately as they are somewhat different to me.

Anyway, this is just my solicited two cents worth. If enough of you are really serious about getting the site to consider another genre. Then start a thread to that effect, possibly in the CZ, and let's see what people have to say.

P.S. Brian Eno can't rock??? King's Lead Hat was a poker in the fire ...

Date Posted: February 12 2010 at 01:06
There are many works in the electronica scene from ancient ProgMasters, as Peter Gabriel in some tunes and collaborations, but I think this band itīs just not PROG.

Itīs a humble opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2010 at 01:43
Originally posted by SergiUriah SergiUriah wrote:

There are many works in the electronica scene from ancient ProgMasters, as Peter Gabriel in some tunes and collaborations, but I think this band itīs just not PROG.

Itīs a humble opinion.
I can correct possibly a bit - Squarepusher is not a prog of 70-s, it's true. But in this life (like we that or not) things are changing. Some name it evolution, doesn't matter. Some guys from PA will say you Dream Theater and PT both aren't same prog as it was long ago. But it is prog, possibly different from some other it's forms. Wink

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: February 12 2010 at 03:04

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but as far as I know there's not much rock in Klaus Schulze or Brian Eno, either...

There's a whole host of artists on PA that don't appear to have an ounce of rock in them. 

Someone mentioned nothing with drum machines allowed, or something like that.  So, I suppose it's goodbye to Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk then, as the sequencers they use are the self same ones or similar you'll find littered throughout the IDM/Electronica world.

Date Posted: February 12 2010 at 17:11
I think the borderline goes between musicians ,playing live using different instruments (keys,synths or lap-tops) from one side, and engineers, using their devices for recording the music. I agree that sometimes this line is very thin, but it always egzists.

Date Posted: February 13 2010 at 19:27
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Originally posted by SergiUriah SergiUriah wrote:

Itīs a humble opinion.
I can correct possibly a bit - Squarepusher is not a prog of 70-s, it's true. But in this life (like we that or not) things are changing. Some name it evolution, doesn't matter. Some guys from PA will say you Dream Theater and PT both aren't same prog as it was long ago. But it is prog, possibly different from some other it's forms. Wink

Yes, Iīd be ok with some appreciations you mean about the item, but those are not modern prog for me. 

Now, the musical direction goes far away, but for bad and wrong in many cases. This is one of them, cause of no way out to prog roads. 

For me it can be called prog in the same way as hardcore dance can be.Wink 

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2010 at 05:03
For sure, it is always question of taste. But if you want to have real opinion, it is not enough just to listen some samples (especially in case as Squarepusher). Take full album (I can recommend 'Hard Normal Daddy' ), listen it without prediction few times, than you will know, like you it or not.

Squarepusher's discography is very different - few albums are kind of modern jazz-rock fusion, many others - just electronics (mostly drum'n'bass). So, depending on which song or album you heard before, your opinion could be very different. For sure, if you like to spent your time on such researchesSmile.

Posted By: idiotPrayer
Date Posted: February 14 2010 at 10:28
Get Solo Electric Bass 1 while you can, it's limited to 850 copies. It's not typical SP but it's great to put on when you want to chill or relax

Posted By: Teaflax
Date Posted: February 15 2010 at 17:49

Or, to be honest, in Genesis during their Prog heyday either. I've always said that the "Rock" part of "Progressive Rock" had very little bearing on the original bands that formed the genre, with the exception maybe of Kansas, early Tull and, to a lesser extent, ELP. Considering that the very basis of Rock is pentatonic Blues and that most classic Prog is 90% modal, I find the argument that Rock should be a component utterly ridiculous. Granted, the majority of modern Prog leans towards Rock, largely due to the influence of Spock's Beard and Dream Theater, but I see that as a dilution of Prog, rather than a strengthening of it. Rock Prog is a valid style, but it isn't really what Prog was when it first began, and I think more people should acknowledge this.

I'm glad to see Squarepusher on here, though. I've been championing him to Prog fans since Hard Normal Daddy completely floored me in 1997. But, I can see why this doesn't automatically lead to the inclusion of Aphex Twin, and the main difference is one of musicality. AT is very experimental when it comes to sound, structure and arrangement, but I feel that Prog of any stripe has to have a strong underpinning of musicality (if not necessarily musical theory), something Tom "Squarepusher" Jenkinson has miles more of than Richard "Aphex Twin" James in my estimation.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2010 at 18:11
there is anotehr squarepusher thread :

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64116 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64116

I finally bought the 'daddy' album and my impressions :

Originally posted by Lucas Lucas wrote:

I listened to the 'normal daddy' album today. Well, out of the 12 tracks, 7 are jazz-rock related, the 5 others are pure IDM. When it's jazz-rock it's really good, when IDM it annoys me a bit. There are no informations in the booklet, but I guess it's a one-man band. In this case, I must admit he is really talented. I don't know the other outputs of this guy, but if all have at least half the tracks jazz-rock related I wouldn't be against its inclusion in JR section of PA. The alternative would be 'eclectic' as there are straight IDM cuts without a hint of jazz in them.

-------------

Posted By: catfood03
Date Posted: February 15 2010 at 18:39
I want Autechre on PA!!!   "Untilted" is very prog (long track lengths, multi-sectional compositions, shifting melodies).

I'm really surprised The Orb hasn't made it here yet.  Pink Floydian/dub/ambient/electronic bliss!

Posted By: idiotPrayer
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 08:52
Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

I want Autechre on PA!!!   "Untilted" is very prog (long track lengths, multi-sectional compositions, shifting melodies).

I'm really surprised The Orb hasn't made it here yet.  Pink Floydian/dub/ambient/electronic bliss!

^I completely agree. Quaristice is also a magnificent piece of music.

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 08:59

Another link to prog for Squarepusher is that his live touring band drummer has been working (on and off) with Jem Godfrey of Frost*

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 13:19
Squarepusher was added?Not sure if he fits here, but damn good music! Has a bit of Battles meets Madonnaīs Hung up... good stuff!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: catfood03
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 21:20
Originally posted by idiotPrayer idiotPrayer wrote:

Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

^I completely agree. Quaristice is also a magnificent piece of music.

Well, I don't intend for Autechre fans to crash Squarepusher's party here. Smile

"Oversteps" in March! Woo-hoo!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk