Print Page | Close Window

Casualties of Applied Metaphysics (Avant/Eclectic)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65775
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 16:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Casualties of Applied Metaphysics (Avant/Eclectic)
Posted By: A Person
Subject: Casualties of Applied Metaphysics (Avant/Eclectic)
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 16:33
I was surprised to see that they weren't here already. I always thought they were spot on for Avant, but eclectic seems reasonable as well. If you aren't aware, there music is available http://casualtiesofappliedmetaphysics.webs.com/ - here for free.

Replies:
Posted By: Marty McFly
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:03
But they are here, or at least on forums:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54329&PID=3088690#3088690

They have been already proposed, but to no avail. Or at least not much avail.

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:18
When the project rises above hobby status and has legitimate appeal it may be considered.
Suggestion:
Offer an album to a legitimate independant reviewer (ie not Progarchives)or record label or even better get another legitimate Prog site interested in it.

The fact that Progarchives members/collabs are involved in this puts us in a difficult position.

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:25
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

When the project rises above hobby status and has legitimate appeal it may be considered.
Suggestion:
Offer an album to a legitimate independent reviewer (ie not Progarchives)or record label or even better get another legitimate Prog site interested in it.

The fact that Progarchives members/collabs are involved in this puts us in a difficult position.

That is completely understandable.

Posted By: Tsevir Leirbag
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:26
I do not think that could alterate (not sure if that's a word) our judgement or opinion on his band for inclusion.
I'm listening to the album now for the first time. I'll give an opinion after the listen

-------------
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:26
I have already offered to review Alex's album for Progressor, and got the green light from the site's owner. Unfortunately, I am very much backlogged (have some 100 CDs at home), so I cannot promise to do anything at a very short notice - but review it I will, I promiseSmile.

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:30
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I have already offered to review Alex's album for Progressor, and got the green light from the site's owner. Unfortunately, I am very much backlogged (have some 100 CDs at home), so I cannot promise to do anything at a very short notice - but review it I will, I promiseSmile.

In any case, I look forward to reading it. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:31
Me too...

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:34
Tony, does your post mean it should not be evaluated?
I just want to know if I should or not.
Thanks.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:42
Originally posted by Tsevir Leirbag Tsevir Leirbag wrote:

Thanks.

Of course it should be evaluated. I am just saying that we should be careful. The archives is a serious and respected database of legitimate bands and needs to be discerning in what it includes. A viable product is difficult to define but record labels seem to do it very effectively. We should not be bushwhacked into including every bedroom hobbyist for fear of offending a current member, ex-band members and other proposers who might have a vested interest. That is what Myspace is for, not Progarchives.
It should be a privilege to be included with the likes of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Dream Theater, Yes et al and whilst we cannot expect all bands to match up to those lofty standards we can at least expect that we do not tarnish those bands or our reputation with injudicious entries.

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:46
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Thanks.

Of course it should be evaluated. I am just saying that we should be careful. The archives is a serious and respected database of legitimate bands and needs to be discerning in what it includes. A viable product is difficult to define but record labels seem to do it very effectively. We should not be bushwhacked into including every bedroom hobbyist for fear of offending a current member, ex-band members and other proposers who might have a vested interest. That is what Myspace is for, not Progarchives.
It should be a privilege to be included with the likes of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Dream Theater, Yes et al and whilst we cannot expect all bands to match up to those lofty standards we can at least expect that we do not tarnish those bands or our reputation with injudicious entries.

Okay, I get your point; and agree with it.
As I said, I don't think that knowing one of the members would alter my judgement and/or my evaluation of said band.
I will be careful in my evaluation as you suggested though. But I always am, I think.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 18:32
If my opinion is worth anything . . . 

The first two releases these guys did were clearly more-or-less tinkering around with ideas, and whether or not they legitimately fit into this site was much more of an uncertainty. 

However, with this latest release, it's clear to me that the musical composition and structure of the songs are much stronger and have a lot more merit. In other words, it can actually be called 'music' without any real doubt.

Whether or not that means they should be included here, I honestly have no idea. I'll leave that to the experts in the genre teams, but what I AM saying is that their music actually sounds like music now, and no longer feels like a kid simply mucked about in his room for a few hours. That's a step forward, in any case. 

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 18:40
Noted.

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 18:59
It may take longer for me to give a final answer, finally. I'll follow the thread and let know when I'm ready.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 19:11

The cat's already out of the bag on this one.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 19:13
^ What does that mean (sorry, I've never heard this expression)?

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 19:15

PA has already included amateur content from members.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 19:20

There's a discussion about this topic, that's important thing. I have to say that I heard few tracks from their first CD and even I don't want to offend Alex, some of these tracks were unbearable.

However, some of you maybe know my relationship with RIO/Avant (Love/Hate), so it just maybe want some time. I'll certainly try their latest album, I hope it will be better beginning.

Let's be fair then.

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 19:50
CoAM have been rejected by Eclectic and Avant in the past - if they are to be re-evaluated by either team it means they qualify as a " http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51908&PID=2973748#2973748 - Controversial Band " and require the unanimous vote of every team member.

Quote Identification of a controversial proposal

Bands and artists will be considered potentially controversial if they:

• Are not generally listed by other prog sites* AND/OR
  • They have been rejected in the past on the basis of their prog credentials

::snip::

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 19:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

CoAM have been rejected by Eclectic and Avant in the past - if they are to be re-evaluated by either team it means they qualify as a " http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51908&PID=2973748#2973748 - Controversial Band " and require the unanimous vote of every team member.

Means that if ONE member rejects them, they're rejected?

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 19:55

Means that if ONE member rejects them, they're rejected?
That's the rule.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 19:56
Alright, I just wasn't sure if that was what it meant.
We'll stick to the rules.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 20:27

Correct me if I am wrong, Dean, but nobody ever doubted that they were progressive when they were proposed the first time; it's just that nobody could quite agree on which genre they belonged in. I don't really see how this rule applies, in that case.

My memory could be fuzzy, though. Embarrassed

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 20:37
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, Dean, but nobody ever doubted that they were progressive when they were proposed the first time; it's just that nobody could quite agree on which genre they belonged in. I don't really see how this rule applies, in that case.

I think he's right.
I even think NOBODY said they weren't progressive. But that's some time ago, not sure if I remember well.

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 20:54

I think he's right.
I even think NOBODY said they weren't progressive. But that's some time ago, not sure if I remember well.
Their rejection from ZART was on the grounds that they were not Avant-Prog - as stated on three seperate occasions by James when repeated claims that the music was Avant Garde were made - implying that it was the "Prog" part that the ZART team had the problem with.

-------------
What?

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: March 15 2010 at 02:01
Also Psych/Space Team have already evaluated Casualties Of Applied Metaphysics around last April (yet I've not joined there) and rejected because of their less Psych/Space essence.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 15 2010 at 02:18
^ Yeah, they're definitely not Space-Rock. 

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: March 15 2010 at 09:22
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

PA has already included amateur content from members.

Not because it was from members and no because it was amateur. Officially released/singed/purchasable units were evaluated, and evaluated music itself is prog rock.

We included loads of amateurish releases worldwide that had nothing to do with our members. We're not friend's music database, not even a good music database, we are listing released prog. Simple as that.

I know that you know that, I just had to get it off my chest...and just in case anyone's in doubt.Smile

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: March 15 2010 at 15:57

I think he's right.
Their rejection from ZART was on the grounds that they were not Avant-Prog - as stated on three seperate occasions by James when repeated claims that the music was Avant Garde were made - implying that it was the "Prog" part that the ZART team had the problem with.

Oh, sorry then Embarrassed
I guess it won't be accepted this time again...

-------------
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard

Date Posted: March 15 2010 at 16:06

I think he's right.

Oh, sorry then Embarrassed
I guess it won't be accepted this time again...

What a shock. Ermm

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: March 15 2010 at 17:25
Cry

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:55
So...

Is any team currently evaluating or re-evaluating this submission?

Date Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:58
In any case, the newest album is a big step forward in quality from what I'd heard before. Keep making music guys!!!

-------------

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 04:55
Just to stir the pot a little... Say a band had two borderline prog/pop albums that got suggested to and rejected by a genre team. Then, a year later, released an undisputable 100% prog album. Have they lost their chance to be in the database because they were already rejected once?

My point is think it should be fair to allow a reevaluation if a band releases new material, especially if there is a significant improvement in quality or progressive tendencies.

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 05:11
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

Just to stir the pot a little... Say a band had two borderline prog/pop albums that got suggested to and rejected by a genre team. Then, a year later, released an undisputable 100% prog album. Have they lost their chance to be in the database because they were already rejected once?

My point is think it should be fair to allow a reevaluation if a band releases new material, especially if there is a significant improvement in quality or progressive tendencies.

Very good point.

-------------

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 06:33
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

as stated before such bands/artists have a controversial status - however - they don't have lost their chance ...
in such a case a team can re-evaluate and must have an unanimous decision ...

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: March 26 2010 at 08:17
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

So...

Is any team currently evaluating or re-evaluating this submission?

From their Progfreak chart:  http://progfreak.com/Casualties-of-Applied-Metaphysics,_dbe,artists,_auto_2283326.xhtml?path=pa/recent - http://progfreak.com/Casualties-of-Applied-Metaphysics,_dbe,artists,_auto_2283326.xhtml?path=pa/recent it seems like no team has taken up on them for a (re)evaluation, so I'm heading this for the ZART.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk