Print Page | Close Window

Anderson, Wakeman,Bruford, Rabin to reunite??

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65932
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 02:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anderson, Wakeman,Bruford, Rabin to reunite??
Posted By: chopper
Subject: Anderson, Wakeman,Bruford, Rabin to reunite??
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 12:51
According to the latest Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine, Trevor Rabin is reuniting with Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford to record an album. Apparently Rick Wakeman mentioned this on his Planet Rock show. There is no news of a bass player yet.

Replies:
Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 15:59

I'm septical about this,  I once read that Bruford didn't wanted to be involved anymore with the Yes family after the Union tour.. Hope to have some info fast!

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 16:52
I'd love to hear some more about this; thanks for the heads up.

Here's another link for anyone interested:

http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?s=d5633b7fb3c013b8a5defc5f00cd4395&t=59053 - http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?s=d5633b7fb3c013b8a5defc5f00cd4395&t=59053

-------------

Posted By: two steves
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 17:58
someone from Bruford's website says he's retired and not involved---I'd be surprised if he were involved---Rabin is no Howe---I mean Bruford's worked with some really interesting, first rate, unique guitarists---Rabin does not fit the bill.

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 18:16

Seems pretty interesting: Wakeman and Bruford with Rabin, that's something to hear.

I wonder if this 'project' is some kind-of vengeful plan against Yes from Jon's part. Ermm This making the obvious reason why Chris Squire is not the immediate bass player.

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 12:49
The best musical news I've heard in ages, hopefully it will become reality!!
I'm excited especially about collaboration of Wakeman and Rabin on the same album. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Posted By: RaphaelT
Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 11:12
I am competely sure this Jon and Rick's plan of vengeance on Chris and Steve... and also read on http://www.rockserwis.pl - www.rockserwis.pl that Bruford claims, that if it is going to happen he wants to be involved.

Of course it would be great to hear effect's of Rick's cooperation with Trevor.. it will be not as simple conflict as it was with Yes (horrible digits) -ABWH (noble CTTE) back in the beginning of the 90s. If they record a CD,  I will buy one, and go to a gig too, if it were possible. And of course I will buy CD of Yes-In The Present.

But then what's next? Another Onion? Guys, we are all 20 years older... record your albums, Benoit deserved this after great job he did at the tours, but then Jon and Rick go back to Yes and make a damn proper Yes album at last!

I am starting to feel that both Jon and Chris will die aged 160 each and to this point we will see constant fights and reconciliations... And they will tour to the very end :). 

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 12:35
I would buy it. 

It'd be neat to see Anderson-Moraz-Bruford-Rabin too. Just a thought I had. Would have loved to see Moraz and Bruford in the band at the same time.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 13:31
I like the idea. Anderson could have persuaded Bruford once again. He's done i before. I don't think Bruford would step back if Rabin would be the guitar player. Rabin and Wakeman are good friends. To me it still sounds like a rumour, but I would like it if it would really happen. Not that Rabin is one of my favorite composers, except for the 90125 album, but still... it would be cool in some way. Apart from the quarrels of course.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 15:37
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I'd love to hear some more about this; thanks for the heads up.

Here's another link for anyone interested:

http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?s=d5633b7fb3c013b8a5defc5f00cd4395&t=59053 - http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?s=d5633b7fb3c013b8a5defc5f00cd4395&t=59053

Thanks for the link Joel - that's an interesting one.

I would LOVE this to come together.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Mouse444
Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 20:35
Ok Ok...I heard this.....RRReeeeaaallllyyy,
After Elp do their tour/date/festival/2 hours show....not in Australia the b*****ds (I'm NOT bitter), Emerson is gonna get together with Chris Squire (bass), Alan White and Carl Palmer (Drums), Phil Collins (Vocals and mabey a wee bit of drums), Peter Gabriel (Vocals, if he's free !!!!!!(Hey didn't he used to play drums)), Steve Hacket (Guitar and drum), Daryl Stuermer (A mate of Steve's on guitar), Fish, Heather Findley and Steve Hogarth (Backing Vocals and percussion otherwise known as drums), Neil Peart (Saxaphone and glockenspiel) and Andre Rieu (conducting, lyrics and stage set). 
They are gonna release an album which will only be available on Itunes Australia and will do a large 8 date arena tour in Australia only, with meet and greets at a barbaque at my place in October.
Dates for the tour will be announced a day before the gig so none of you will be able to get here in time...so there. Oh and if anyone wants to fly me to the ELP gig in the UK with a ticket to the show on top please get in touch...MWAhaaaaaaa.
Mouse.

-------------
Mouser

Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 20:37

-------------
Mouser

Posted By: danielfortin
Date Posted: March 24 2010 at 16:29

1.       Bruford announced his retirement months ago.

2.       Anderson was seriously sick and had to stop working for much longer that he and all actual members of Yes expected.

3.       The fight between Anderson and Yes members are nothing but rumors and speculation.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 24 2010 at 20:45
The ABWH hasn't aged too well for me anyway.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: March 25 2010 at 13:10
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Seems pretty interesting: Wakeman and Bruford with Rabin, that's something to hear.

I wonder if this 'project' is some kind-of vengeful plan against Yes from Jon's part. Ermm This making the obvious reason why Chris Squire is not the immediate bass player.
Anderson's revenge projects have turned out pretty well in the past.  If you heard the Anderson/Wakeman tour, I'm sure you'll agree.  Levin would be so cool here, but we'll prob be stuck with Berlin if this actually comes to fruition.

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: March 25 2010 at 13:11
Originally posted by danielfortin danielfortin wrote:

1.       Bruford announced his retirement months ago.

2.       Anderson was seriously sick and had to stop working for much longer that he and all actual members of Yes expected.

3.       The fight between Anderson and Yes members are nothing but rumors and speculation.

While I can't speak to number 1, the other two points are complete BS.

-------------

Posted By: Progfan1958
Date Posted: March 25 2010 at 16:09
Anything that happens with any line-up should at least be interesting, and at best may be quite good. Let's just wait and see what happens. Perhaps we'll get lucky ?
Steve

-------------
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"

Posted By: tony kayes headband
Date Posted: March 28 2010 at 02:50
Holy geez,2010 is looking to be the best  year in music in a long long time!!Thumbs Up
New Yes,
ABWR(or whatever it is called)
Iron Maiden-The Final Frontier
Thomas Dolbys first studio album in over 15 years
first Devo album in 20 years,
new Asia
new Killing Joke
ELP reuniting
PIL reuniting
And hopefully Ian Anderson will get his ass in the studio and finish up that new Tull album.

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: March 28 2010 at 16:26
I'm excited about that new Asia album more than a new Yes album, I've heard Keystudio, The Ladder and Magnification and I am less and less impressed with post-80s Yes with every album. More of the same overly-bright and optimistic complex but boring mindless groove and weird otherworldly vocals. I like the majority of Yes' work, but seriously... And really, while I like what I've heard of Rabin's work with Yes (haven't heard Union or Talk) and Rabin's solo stuff, I really am dubious about Rick Wakeman, whose playing just sounds silly and over the top all the time, (one reviewer says "he sat contented on the stage making blow-bottle noises" what a damning indictment). Wakeman had some novel albums in the 70s, I actually like Journey to The Center of the Earth, but his hundreds of albums since then... crap, a few easy, if quirky listening bits as highlights. Jon Anderson's voice annoys me. I haven't heard ABWH, but what difference does a shift from White to Bruford matter? They're just drummers. 

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: March 29 2010 at 06:33
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

I'm excited especially about collaboration of Wakeman and Rabin on the same album. 

It is not the first time the two of them would collaborate, Rabin participated on a track on Rick's Return To The Centre Of The Earth album Tongue

Here is a Spotify-link to the track which is called Never Is A Long, Long Time and features Rabin on lead vocals and guitar: http://open.spotify.com/track/4yOy2ZQ4McP8jWZfDHx8q6 - London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) – Never is a long, long, time

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: March 30 2010 at 02:28
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

It is not the first time the two of them would collaborate, Rabin participated on a track on Rick's Return To The Centre Of The Earth album Tongue

Here is a Spotify-link to the track which is called Never Is A Long, Long Time and features Rabin on lead vocals and guitar: http://open.spotify.com/track/4yOy2ZQ4McP8jWZfDHx8q6 - London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) – Never is a long, long, time

I know that track, probably my favorite off the album. That's also why I'm interested... I would expect this kind of symphonic, probably a bit pompous, energetic music. And if we add Anderson's vocals combined with Rabin's harmonies... But, as time progressed it can be also influenced by calmer, jazzier passages (as Rabin presents on his main page, and I think he'll be probably driving force). Just dreaming)

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: March 30 2010 at 07:24
I hope this collaboration takes place as the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe album was dynamite!

-------------

Posted By: Progfan1958
Date Posted: March 30 2010 at 11:27
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I hope this collaboration takes place as the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe album was dynamite!
Agreed, I really like that album as well. In restrospect though, wouldn't it be better if Bruford went back and re-recorded the drum tracks with an acoustic set ? Wakeman should re-do the piano work with a real grand as well. Now THAT would be a re-issue that I would buy !
Steve

-------------
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 31 2010 at 10:41

Absolutely agree - I still love that album, and the subsequent tour video was incredible as well.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 01 2010 at 17:46

It was, wasn't it? Clap

Posted By: mattstevens
Date Posted: April 04 2010 at 15:57
Can't see Bruford doing it after his recent comments

-------------
"Ghost is a phenomenal piece of work that has already garnered countless frothing plaudits within the online prog and post-rock firmament" Classic Rock Presents Prog

http://mattstevensguitar.com

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 04 2010 at 21:40
^ As far as I understand, Bruford's site has denied his involvement on this project, but which recent comments are you talking about?

Posted By: XunknownX
Date Posted: April 17 2010 at 19:48
No, I have hoped they would've get rid of Rabin for ever, the man who destroyed Yes.

Posted By: clogson
Date Posted: May 22 2010 at 10:01
Originally posted by PabstRibbon PabstRibbon wrote:

I'm septical about this, 

Me too!

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 18:01
Originally posted by XunknownX XunknownX wrote:

No, I have hoped they would've get rid of Rabin for ever, the man who destroyed Yes.

Shocked

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 22:02
Originally posted by XunknownX XunknownX wrote:

I rather think Rabin is in some way the man that saved Yes, they may have completly died if they hadn't found him. And he injected new vitality and took them in a new direction and made them popular in the 80's so that they could survive. Ofcourse, he may not have made OUR favourite music, but at least he did something, and I do like some songs from this era. And by the way, Yes had already done their prog masterpieces from the 70's, so their might have been little they could have achived if they had tried to do that again. On the other hand, who knows what would have happened if instead of going with Rabin, Squire and White had gone with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page as they had originally intended...

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 03:51
I agree. Rabin saved yes from going under. There is nothing wrong with the albums from his period in the band and it was just yes evolving through that period. To be honest I can't think of anything new that has been produced by yes since Rabin left that has been mind blowing. Open Your Eyes was forgettable, The Ladder was living on past glories and Magnification I think I played twice and was left with no desire to give it another spin. (actually i just tried it again and stopped it half way through). It was pretty ordinary and lets face it, they should all be shot if they release another "Best Of".
Lets not forget, Rabin is a briliant musician and some of his soundtrack work is unbelievable. Songs like "Walls, Endless Dream and I Am Waiting"  from Talk are some of the best "Songs" that Yes have written. The "90125" album brought Yes back from the grave and the "Big Generator" album is not bad at all, and I speak to you all as a "Tales" afficianado. We could always go back to "Drama"........sigh!!!

-------------
Mouser

Posted By: raindance
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 10:50
Originally posted by Mouse444 Mouse444 wrote:

I agree. Rabin saved yes from going under. There is nothing wrong with the albums from his period in the band and it was just yes evolving through that period. To be honest I can't think of anything new that has been produced by yes since Rabin left that has been mind blowing. Open Your Eyes was forgettable, The Ladder was living on past glories and Magnification I think I played twice and was left with no desire to give it another spin. (actually i just tried it again and stopped it half way through). It was pretty ordinary and lets face it, they should all be shot if they release another "Best Of".
Lets not forget, Rabin is a briliant musician and some of his soundtrack work is unbelievable. Songs like "Walls, Endless Dream and I Am Waiting"  from Talk are some of the best "Songs" that Yes have written. The "90125" album brought Yes back from the grave and the "Big Generator" album is not bad at all, and I speak to you all as a "Tales" afficianado. We could always go back to "Drama"........sigh!!!

Agree with everything you said!!!Clap

Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 22:23
Originally posted by Mouse444 Mouse444 wrote:

Well, I do like some songs from Magnification a lot, perhaps you could listen to that album a few more times (some of it might grow on you). Also, from Keys to ascention I think "Be the One" is a great song. And on the last compilation album they included an acoustic song, "Show Me", which was really beautiful. However I do agree that there was nothing on the Billy Sherwood line-up that I really loved (though there were a few decent songs). And I do agree too that Endless Dream was a superb song.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 04:35
Keep us posted as to how this all turns out - what a reunion that would be!

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 22:48
I just read the official announcement on Wakeman's web site about an acoustic tour with Wakeman and Anderson (similar to the one they did in 2006). It seems it will be only them, and a live album - DVD is to be realeased from a concert. So far there's no official announcement about the studio album nor the collaboration with Rabin... still I hope it happens.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 08 2010 at 08:39
At a Q'N'A session with Bill Bruford in January this year, he said he was officially retired from recording and perfoming.

He's perfectly at liberty to change his mind of course. Lets hope he does!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: June 08 2010 at 21:44
^ I truly doubt that. And I think he has personally said he's not going to be part of this project.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk