Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66603
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 23:28
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Timeline of progressive rock
Posted By: carlmarx38
Subject: Timeline of progressive rock
Date Posted: April 15 2010 at 18:18

Here's my current rough draft of my Timeline of Progressive Rock. If I were banished to a Desert
     Island, and could only take a hundred or so titles, this is what I would listen to. Or if it were 1971
     again, these are the albums I would buy (if only I knew then what I know now !)

YES  (first album)
     IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING
      STAND UP (Jethro Tull)
      UMMAGUMMA

MAY    BENEFIT  (Jethro Tull)
   JUN
   JUL    TIME AND A WORD
   AUG
   SEP
   OCT   TRESPASS
   NOV   EMERSON, LAKE AND PALMER (1st album)
   DEC  

JAN
   FEB
   MAR   THE YES ALBUM  (# 7 UK)
   APR   AQUALUNG    (#7 US / #4 UK)
   MAY   IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK  (Caravan)
   JUN   TARKUS  (#9 US / #1 UK)   (FIRST PROG ALBUM TO GO #1 ?)
   JUL   
   AUG   ACQUIRING THE TASTE  (Gentle Giant)
   SEP  
   OCT   PAWN HEARTS  (van der graaf generator)
              MOVING WAVES  (Focus)
   NOV   NURSERY CRYME  (#39 UK)
              PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION  (#10 US / #2  UK)
   DEC  THE INNER MOUNTING FLAME (Mahishnu Orchestra)
              MEDDLE

1972  (the "golden age" of prog begins !)

JAN    FRAGILE  (#7 UK / #4  US)
   FEB    STORIA DI UN MINUTO  (PFM)
   MAR   BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO  (these dates for the italians are just "estimates" !)
   APR   THICK AS A BRICK  (#1 US / #5 UK.......FIRST PROG ALBUM TO HIT #1 IN US)
   MAY   
   JUN    SPACE SHANTY  (Khan, featuring Steve Hillage)
               UOMO DI PEZZA  (Le Orme)
   JUL    LIVING IN THE PAST  (#3 US / #8 UK)
               TRILOGY  (#5 US / #2 UK)
   AUG
   SEP    CLOSE TO THE EDGE (#3 US / #4 UK)
               PER UN AMICO  (PFM)
   OCT    FOXTROT  (#12 UK)
   NOV    DARWIN !   (Banco del Mutuo Soccorso)
   DEC    OCTOPUS  (Gentle Giant)
                FOCUS 3

that's it for now.....i've completed this timeline up to 1975. will stop here, though to get feedback.
              .......this to me is close to the "epicenter" of classic prog.  Especially Sep/OCT '72 when
                       both CLOSE TO THE EDGE and FOXTROT were released within a month of each
                       other !  

Replies:
Posted By: Lodij van der Graaf
Date Posted: April 15 2010 at 19:22
I would start from 1967, so the likes of the Nice, Procol Harum, and a couple of others could be on the list..

-------------
Grace is a name,
like Chastity,
like Lucifer,
like mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: April 15 2010 at 19:35
I don't understand this project. Normally desert islands don't allow "only 100 or so". It's easy to put albums in chronological order, it's a lot tougher to name the importance of albums based on when they were released and the events that made them important to the scene.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 03:04
What about Soft Machine, the VdGG debut, the Magma debut, the Gentle Giant debut, etc..?

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 09:41
Nice list but so many definitive albums are missing - i have spent a long time researching and making prog polls on each of the prog years here, and it takes some effort to come up with 15 or 10 albums per year but it is possible.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:11

What about Soft Machine, the VdGG debut, the Magma debut, the Gentle Giant debut, etc ?

If you think those are all essential, I'll put them in !  My current Timeline doesn't have any
                Van Der Graaf albums until PAWN HEARTS, but I know there are a lot of VdGG fans on
                 here, so I should probably include more. As for the others you mentioned, I have
                       SOFT MACHINE ""Third", and I think the first Magma album I have listed is
                 "Mekanik Destructiw Kommandoh". You really think Gentle Giant's debut is essential
                 to the early lineage ?

Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:15
  Nice list but so many definitive albums are missing - i have spent a long time researching and making prog polls on each of the prog years here, and it takes some effort to come up with 15 or 10 albums per year but it is possible.

Do you agree with the above post to include Magma (debut), Soft Machine (debut),
             and VdGG ?  (btw, most of my release dates are from "Strawberry Brick's Guide to
             Progressive Rock", I'm going on faith that they are mostly accurate)

Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:28
    I don't understand this project. Normally desert islands don't allow "only 100 or so". It's easy to put albums in chronological order, it's a lot tougher to name the importance of albums based on when they were released and the events that made them important to the scene. 

........good point......and the "events that made them important to the scene" had to do
                    with popularity and visibility in the public's eye. The debut albums by Magma, Soft Machine, 
                    Gentle Giant, and VdGG had little or no visibility at the time of their release (especially
                     in the States), which is probably why I didn't include them. I think this timeline is meant
                   to be somewhat of a compromise between a History Project (focusing on historical
                    relevance at the time), and a critical appraisal of the essential albums to the develop-
                    ment of the genre. The debuts by Magma and Soft Machine are essential in retrospect,
                    but from a historical perspective of how prog evolved they aren't so important, because
                      hardly anyone knew of them at the time they were released.

Thanks for the feedback, though. The main question, is whether people are
                          interested in this thing (regardless of which albums are included) ? I thought
                        it would be nice to have something like this on the PROG MUSIC GUIDES link,
                        for new listeners, but I won't pursue it if people think it's a dumb idea.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:32
Originally posted by carlmarx38 carlmarx38 wrote:

Do you agree with the above post to include Magma (debut), Soft Machine (debut),
             and VdGG ?  (btw, most of my release dates are from "Strawberry Brick's Guide to
             Progressive Rock", I'm going on faith that they are mostly accurate)
Yeah include those definitive albums on your list. Check the polls too if you need help as I used Strawberry Guide too, but the PA have a better guide also. I would include the debut albums of all the eclectic bands that began the genre.

-------------

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:35
Originally posted by carlmarx38 carlmarx38 wrote:

What about Soft Machine, the VdGG debut, the Magma debut, the Gentle Giant debut, etc ?

If you think those are all essential, I'll put them in !  My current Timeline doesn't have any

Van Der Graaf albums until PAWN HEARTS, but I know there are a lot of VdGG fans on

here, so I should probably include more. As for the others you mentioned, I have

SOFT MACHINE ""Third", and I think the first Magma album I have listed is

"Mekanik Destructiw Kommandoh". You really think Gentle Giant's debut is essential

to the early lineage ?

If there's no limit, I'd call the first THREE Soft Machine albums essential. If I could have only one, I'd go for VOLUME TWO. In my view, "Rivmic Melodies", the suite on its original A-side, is the best thing the band ever did, together with "Moon in June" and the "Love Makes Sweet Music"/"Feelin Reelin Squeelin" single.

Date Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:47

and VdGG ?

Yeah include those definitive albums on your list. Check the polls too if you need help as I used Strawberry Guide too, but the PA have a better guide also. I would include the debut albums of all the eclectic bands that began the genre.

check out my other blog entitled "Genesis of prog Rock : when did it all begin ?" In which I
           am exploring the myth of whether "Court of the Crimson King" was the first "true" prog album.
                 I made a short list of albums there : PROCOL HARUM, PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN,
                  DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED, early Zappa/ Mothers, CARAVAN, and SOFT MACHINE.

(This Timeline thing is sort of connected to that blog, as I wrote both of them at the same
                 time, more or less ).

Let me know if you can help with the historical perspective, as I would really like to
           develop this idea further, (either on or off the Forum pages).  I'm American, and don't have
            much sense of what it was like for prog fans who were there at the time (1969-71).
                  How many early prog fans knew about the Canturberry scene when Caravan/ Soft
              Machine first started ?  Did Magma, Gentle Giant, etc., have any visibility when their
                debuts first came out ? (they sure weren't on the charts, as far as I know).      

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: April 17 2010 at 12:33
I do understand their influence on the progressive scene might be have been little in 1970, but the influence of the debut of Gentle Giant, Magma and some others have grown over the year perhaps. Futhermore good prog doesn't have to be influential to be essential IMHO.

Posted By: Calculate900
Date Posted: April 17 2010 at 22:25
Excuse me, but wasn't Sgt. Pepper one of the first progressive albums?  Surely it should get an honorable mention.

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: April 17 2010 at 22:48
Not more of this Sgt Pepper is prog rock stuff.  Just because it's a concept album?  Piper at the Gates of Dawn was recorded on the same dates as Sgt Pepper and is at least 10 times as progressive.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: April 18 2010 at 11:28
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

Not more of this Sgt Pepper is prog rock stuff.  Just because it's a concept album?  Piper at the Gates of Dawn was recorded on the same dates as Sgt Pepper and is at least 10 times as progressive.
Piper is pure psychedelic.  Prog elements don't show up until Saucer.

-------------

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: April 18 2010 at 20:12
How about Frank Zappa's Freak Out! from '66. It was the first concept album in rock music and influenced the Beatles to make Sgt Pepper!

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: April 18 2010 at 20:27
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Piper is pure psychedelic.  Prog elements don't show up until Saucer.

I disagree, and these are the points:

"At the time The Piper at the Gates of Dawn was originally released in 1967, it was one among many aurally ripped, acid-tripped albums including Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced, Cream's Disraeli Gears, Jefferson Airplane's After Bathing at Baxter's, and, of course, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which the Beatles were recording down the hall from Pink Floyd at Abbey Road. But as those albums have gracefully slipped into the mainstream of our music consciousness, Piper, along with The Velvet Underground and Nico, still sounds like it broke through from another dimension. Pink Floyd were employing musique concrete techniques, inventing glissando guitar, and exploring areas of trance with tunes like "Interstellar Overdrive," actually two takes of an extended rave-up laid on top of each other. Mixing sci-fi imagery with swinging London metaphors and pastoral fantasies (the title is lifted from The Wind in the Willows), Pink Floyd's music was even more dappled, swirled, and surreal than the light shows that accompanied their performances. Piper represented Syd Barrett's vision as the sole composer of all but three songs. He was yet to have his acid-induced meltdowns, and all things were possible and beautiful. Barrett mixed whimsy on "Bike" with cynicism on the wordless but ominous "Pow R. Toc H."; goofy innocence on "The Gnome" and mysticism on "Chapter 24." But there's no doubting the contributions of Richard Wright with his swirling, reverb-drenched organ fugues and jazz ellipses and Roger Waters's earth-rooted bass. Nick Mason's underrated drumming, time-shifting polyrhythms, and colorful flourishes pushed Barrett's elliptical pop even further over the edge, especially on the space-music opus "Astronomy Domine."  --John Diliberto

It was not any psychedelic rock album, it was an innovative one thus making it highly influential and even progressive.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: April 19 2010 at 13:06

Frankly, most of those are reasons to consider Piper psychedelic.  Sorry.  Prog elements start showing up on Saucer and get max expresssion on AHM.  Even considering that, Floyd's brand of prog is quite different from what most prog bands were doing.

Which isn't to say that Piper isn't a kickass album.  It just isn't prog. 

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 19 2010 at 19:50
Hi,

Ummagumma is not 1969 I don't think.

And this has got to be the weirdest discussion I have ever seen in this board. Also th emost incomplete and off key that I have ever seen.

If I was any of those musicians I would be embarassed to even be associated with this!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 17:14
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Frankly, most of those are reasons to consider Piper psychedelic.  Sorry.  Prog elements start showing up on Saucer and get max expresssion on AHM.  Even considering that, Floyd's brand of prog is quite different from what most prog bands were doing.

Which isn't to say that Piper isn't a kickass album.  It just isn't prog. 

It's not prog, though it is progressive and innovative thus highly influential for the evolution of rock music to prog rock.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 17:45
Actually, I think this thread has some promise, thanks for starting it!    I've posted this before, it is an interview with Peter Banks about the very early days of prog at the Marquis Club in London:

http://www.themarqueeclub.net/interview-peter-banks-yes

Clearly, there was a LOT of progressive music that was churning in the mid-60's, but never made it to vinyl!   Also, I was struck by the fluidity of the British prog scene (musicians changing bands & the various creative interplay going on). 

"The Origins of Prog" could be a book....hell, The Yardbirds morphed into Renaissance!   Iron Butterfly might have a prog-claim, they morphed into prog-metal Captain Beyond.  

I tend to follow the "it must have a Rickenbacker bass and a Mellotron to be Prog" school, which would narrow the definition quite a bit.  Good stuff!

Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 17:51
Sorry, here's the live link to Peter Banks' interview:
http://www.themarqueeclub.net/interview-peter-banks-yes - http://www.themarqueeclub.net/interview-peter-banks-yes

Posted By: sealchan
Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 14:39
Here is how I see things...

In the Court of the Crimson King King Crimson 1969 10/10/1969
In the Wake of Poseidon King Crimson 1970 5/15/1970
Trespass Genesis 1970 10/23/1970
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Emerson, Lake & Palmer 1970 11/1/1970
Lizard King Crimson 1970 12/11/1970
The Yes Album Yes 1971 2/19/1971
Nursery Crime Genesis 1971 11/12/1971
Fragile Yes 1971 11/26/1971

...after In the Court of the Crimson King bands converted to progressive rock. 

Based on my tiny sample there appears to be a tendency to release albums in the last quarter of the year.  So the pattern that fits this small sample is that proto-prog bands like Yes and Genesis heard King Crimson and a year later they started to release albums of a progressive quality.

I consider Trespass as Genesis' first progressive album (having heard their From Genesis to Revelations... only once or twice) and The Yes Album as Yes' first progressive rock album.  In early 1972 Jethro Tull did Thick as a Brick which was a step into progressive rock from their concept album-ish Aqualung (which I think had just one or two songs on it that I would consider prog).

From other's comments it has been claimed that A Saucerful of Secrets was Pink Floyd's first prog album and that album was released 06/29/1968 which predates even In the Court of the Crimson King.  If this is a true claim (and I haven't the music collection to decide this for myself (I've just recently purchased that Pink Floyd album)) then I would still have to consider the fact that Pink Floyd's album is almost a year and a half older suggesting that its influence may have built towards prog rock but wasn't as close to when it was ready to really blossom.  Maybe In the Court of the Crimson King marks the beginning of the "Golden Age".

My view on all this is to look for when bands would convert or newly form in much larger numbers than previously with prog rock as their (new) focus as the time when the genre was born.  The genre would then have a kind of critical mass to where there would be a sense of itself, a collective contemporary musical movement that musicians wanted to become a part of rather than an experiement that the composer or band was trying in seemingly relative isolation.

Interestingly at the same time as prog rock was revving up it seems that hard rock/heavy metal was also forming.  Deep Purple seems to have turned away from progressive rock just as the above mentioned bands were turning toward it.  I have to wonder about the influence of Black Sabbath at this point.

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: April 22 2010 at 07:31
Said it before the first Renaissance album, now largely forgotten but released about the same time as ITCCK by Island Records in the UK, had quite an influence when first released. Taken up by the BBC 2 arts programme fronted by Jim Moseman, this was the first serious arts show to take rock music and a rock band serously, wrt the time spent and depth of interviewing made. Problem, Renaissance (mark1) delayed and delayed with a follow up record, although one Radio One live gig was broadcast, where some of the second album's music was played - and it seemed the 'Beethovan and blues' concept was used up with the first record.

As somebody moonlighting  and selling records from 1964 to 1971, I would suggest Nice's Ars Longa Vita brevis, Soft Machine Volume 2 and Touch (one and only album) made some impact in 1968/9. Moody Blues Days Of Future Past, needed Moody Blues to decamp to USA before being accepted back home but then as a psychedelic album with orchestra. Pink Floyd remained psychedlic into the 70's. I agree with Sid Smith that Yes really did not have that  a genuine prog album until The Yes Album (but then The Clap ain't prog). And with afterthought (since initial sales were poor), Genesis were belated heard as prog from Trespass. Gentle Giant  were almost an afterthought. Jetro Tull with Mick Abrahams' influence initally jumped belated on the British blues boom wagon, with This Was.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: April 23 2010 at 03:50
"Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp" is listed as proto-prog, and I agree!  Fripp's guitar playing on this disc is quite remarkable, and indicates the future direction of King Crimson.  

However, I always tend to put ITCOTCK as the seminal "first prog album," for many reasons = generous and innovative use of the Mellotron, jazz-rock fusion elements, poetic lyrics, and amazingly tight performance.  

The first Yes album (1969) also qualifies as prog, with "Beyond and Before" one of the stronger tracks.  As with ITCOCK, it was highly developmental in instrumentation and portended their future direction.  Each subsequent LP expanded remarkably!    

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "From Genesis to Revelation"!   

Good stuff, I wasn't aware of the early Nice, Soft Machine and other material back then!   I've never heard the first Renaissance LP and must seek that out.  

Date Posted: April 23 2010 at 06:42
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

However, I always tend to put ITCOTCK as the seminal "first prog album," for many reasons = generous and innovative use of the Mellotron, jazz-rock fusion elements, poetic lyrics, and amazingly tight performance.  

The first Yes album (1969) also qualifies as prog, with "Beyond and Before" one of the stronger tracks.  As with ITCOCK, it was highly developmental in instrumentation and portended their future direction.  Each subsequent LP expanded remarkably!    

ITCOTCK, appears to be the first fully rounded AND complete progressive rock album, with IMHO the first Renaissance album just about squeezing in meeting these criteria. Touch's Alesha & others/78 is perhaps one of the first prog rock tracks, but other offerings on the eponymous album are more difficult to assign as "prog". Nice's ALVB isn't wholly prog, Soft Machine's Volume 2 shifts between prog rock and avant jazz fusion. WRT wholly prog albums and Yes, I would suggest we had to wait for the 4th album.  You can go to the Doors with "The End" or Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hanging On", as inventing some of the rules as they went along - and then there were the odd Beatles' tracks but really we had to wait for the archetypal >>3 minute prog-like track from the band, while they were permitted time to experiment in studio.

-------------
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 23 2010 at 08:30
One could quibble over what albums are missing, but it was still neat to see all those albums in chronological order.  Things happened so quickly those days.  Like Yes going from Time and a Word to The Yes album in about 9 months.  Holy crud... sometimes it takes me 9 months just to get a gig for my band.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Floydman
Date Posted: April 23 2010 at 10:20

The Beatles were a music group plain and simple. They used polyrhythms “Happiness Is A Warm Gun”, and they were the same band who wrote a song Frank Sinartra called the greatest love song . The Beatles were a pop band, "I Want to Hold Your Hand", an experimental art rock band "Tomorrow Never Knows", a rock band "Helter Skelter", and yes they did progressive rock type things like "A Day in the Life" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy). They influenced the Monkeys and they influenced  Yes and Genesis. They influenced music.  

"A Day in the Life" is certainly a progressive rock song IMO and this was the track that influenced Robert Fripp to create progressive music in rock in the first place..

tempo shifts, special effects, complex structure... But if we want to get technical about it is, probably it would be "influential on prog" or "proto-prog".

Well, many of the tracks like "Strawberry Fields Forever" which was part of the Pepper sessions were recorded before Pink Floyd ever got into the studio.The Beatles influence was pervasive at this time and even the Velvet Underground were influenced by them somewhat. As much as I like the Doors or Pink Floyd they were still using basic rock instrumentation while the Beatles were incorporating world music instruments, and using avant garde tape manipulation. Take the loops on "Tomorrow Never Knows" were only common by the likes of John Cage and a few other before Revolver, but afterwards it became one of the common sounds when bands wanted to create spacey psychedelic sounds.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 25 2010 at 18:12

I think this is one of the more sensible approaches to the subject of the beginnings of Prog, despite the endless semantic squabbling ("That's not prog, now this is prog," spoken in your best Crocodile Dundee voice).  There is not one album on here that I would not consider significant in some way, and I personally have 3/4 of your list.  Don't worry about not including anybody's particular favorite.  I myself would add many of the significant proto-prog artists to the works, such as the Beatles, Hendrix, The Who, and Deep Purple Mark I, with even a special mention of Dylan who broke many of the barriers of popular music.  And Uncle Frank.  Good work on the release dates!

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 09:14
Two concommitent threads parallelling each other :

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66592&PN=1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66592&PN=1

It is evident that a lot of contributors' arguements in both threads have been made from  current viewpoints, aka with lots of hindsight, rather from firsthand experience of the events from ~1955 to 1975.  That is from the probably first sighting of rock and roll, through the tin pan alley days with "artists" being manipulated by managers to make diluted rock and roll records, soon known as pop also aiming at the mums and dads market (aka Las Vegas caberet).  Then a revitalisation of  rock and roll, etc. as the Beatles and the rest of British  invasion materilaised.

Questions asked before: is rock music different from rock and roll, and if so, when did rock appear? I'm happy to go with Joe Boyd in his autobiography White Bicycles, that rock appeared the evening Bob Dylan appeared at the Newport at the folk and jazz festival with members of Paul Butterfield Bluesband and Al Kooper backing - what in the summer of 1964 or 1965? Quite happy to hear the case for earlier forms of rock music. Once this realisation that rock could be fused with any other form of music, the UNDERGROUND SCENE  unveiled itself  largely with either the folk rock (Dylan, Byrds, Beatles) and/or the psychedelic movements - especially developing on the US west coast, London, (and probably Germany).  Theatre and popular music/poetry and music/etc. etc. also were there too. Music journalists in the UK were using the term PROGRESSIVE MUSIC in late 67/1968 - check out the title of the early compilation album, Wowie Zowie The World Of Progressive Music, released in 1969 - but Progressive Music/Underground Music  certainly had a fair degree of interchangeability - although bands deemed to be psychedelic were unlikely to be called progressive. If you had beeen playing psychedelic music since 66 or 67, you were old hat be 68 or 69, and clearly not literally progressing away from psychedelia.  Perhaps the first bands to produce progressive music, were fusing rock with jazz and/or classical (Nice's Rondo being an obvious reference point, out of Mozart via Dave Brubeck).

ITCOCK and to a greater extent the first Renaissance album, were the first records that didn't reveal musical ideas cobbled together, instead showing a seamlessness and this through the whole albums. As a reminder: in the early days to be labelled 'progressive' meant a band had actually and literally PROGRESSED beyond what had been heard before.

-------------
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk