Print Page | Close Window

Original cover of album by British Amon Düül

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66890
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 06:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Original cover of album by British Amon Düül
Posted By: BaldJean
Subject: Original cover of album by British Amon Düül
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 04:53
I finally found an online picture of the original album cover of "Meetings With Men-Machines" by the British Amon Düül, which I like a lot better than the cover of the reissue. mark that the original cover gave the name of the band as Amon Düül 2, as did the original cover of "Hawk Meets Penguin". the new covers for these albums dropped the "2" from the band name. and here it is:

I like it a lot better than the cover under which it is published now. it is more in the tradition of the covers of the other Amon Düül 2 albums. mark the slightly different name of the album title too.

I once had the album with this cover in my hands at a record fair, but snce my money was limited and we already had that album with the different cover I finally did not buy it

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Replies:
Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 05:10
Interesting ... but does this consequently mean this album should be assigned to the Amon Düül 2 discog?

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 05:18
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

Interesting ... but does this consequently mean this album should be assigned to the Amon Düül 2 discog?

no; they clearly are two different bands. there were some judicial problems with using the name Amon Düül 2 for Weinzierl and Anderson, so they settled for Amon Düül, since they no longer existed. and the reissues (with different covers) were all under the name Amon Düül

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 06:37
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I once had the album with this cover in my hands at a record fair, but snce my money was limited and we already had that album with the different cover I finally did not buy it

I suppose it would worth a lot now...

Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 09:09
I am not sure what the official policy is about covers. should the first one be the one that is in the archives, even if for legal reasons it was changed?

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 12:40

I am not sure what the official policy is about covers. should the first one be the one that is in the archives, even if for legal reasons it was changed?
The policy is first official cover from the first country in which the album was released, or the cover it was first released with in their home country in the case where an album was released on the same day in two different countries with different covers.

-------------
What?

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 13:36
^ I don't know what the ***** the policy is, but WHY THE H BOMB IS TANGRAM GOT THAT STUPID BLUE COVER? I want the red cover.

That's all I got to say about album cover selections.

>

The second makes a cameo in Spinal Tap...

Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 21:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The policy is first official cover from the first country in which the album was released, or the cover it was first released with in their home country in the case where an album was released on the same day in two different countries with different covers.

even if legal issues are involved, which is the case with this cover (the complicated name situation of the various Amon Düüls)? I  am pretty sure  that was the reason why the cover art was replaced, to have Amon Düül 2 changed to just Amon Düül, since no-one claimed the latter name anymore. but since the same is the case with the first album of the British Amon Düül, "Hawk Meets Penguin", the cover art it should perhaps be replaced in the archives.  the problem is that it might appear a bit confusing for the user who is not familiar with the complicated history of Amon Düül in its various incarnations (including the German band Utopia, of which the only album they ever made is now sold under the name Amon Düül 2)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk