Subject: Porcupine Tree albums
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 15:09

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 15:12
You have three polls of the same title.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 15:13
This poll tastes like really thin paper with really small type for some reason. Tongue
I'm partial to my first encounter, In Absentia.

You really should click more frenetically when posting. LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: EatThatPhonebook
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 15:15
Oops... Embarrassed

Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 15:16
I tried to delete the poll because I realized that I was in the wrong section.... oh well, I won't do that mistake again!

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 16:02
Fear Of A Blank Planet. I love that album.

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 16:18
Up the Downstair, probably my favourite album of all time.

(Where is On the Sunday of Life... though?)

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 16:56
Lightbulb Sun

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 17:05
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

Up the Downstair, probably my favourite album of all time.

(Where is On the Sunday of Life... though?)

It seems to be in the question box thingy......

I've voted IA many times before, today I'll vote Lightbulb Sun

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Posted By: Erpland316
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 17:58
It has really baffled me as the amount of praise the last few PT albums get.  I think it is partly due to the age of the listeners as well as the fact that the new stuff is probably what they hear first.  I know it was that way with myself: In Absentia was my first album to hear by PT.  I am not saying the new stuff is bad by any means, but it just doesn't have that sparkle and creative edge that albums like TSMS, Signify, and Stupid Dream have.  I am seeing PT tomorrow in Atlanta, GA!!  Very excited!!

-------------
"Science is all metaphor"-Timothy Leary

[IMG]http://freespace.virgin.net/martin.jones10/amonpic.jpg">[IMG]http://imagegen.last.fm/red/artists/Yeti316.gif">

Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 18:11
Originally posted by Erpland316 Erpland316 wrote:

It has really baffled me as the amount of praise the last few PT albums get.  I think it is partly due to the age of the listeners as well as the fact that the new stuff is probably what they hear first.  I know it was that way with myself: In Absentia was my first album to hear by PT.  I am not saying the new stuff is bad by any means, but it just doesn't have that sparkle and creative edge that albums like TSMS, Signify, and Stupid Dream have.  I am seeing PT tomorrow in Atlanta, GA!!  Very excited!!

I tried to make that show, but couldn't. Congrats there.

But I am baffled as to how people say that they lost their "sparkle" or their "creative edge" over the past few albums. Why? Because they're heavier? Confused To me, The Incident is far far superior to Stupid Dream, which sounds cold to me. Just as an example.

To each his own, of course, but I think a lot of people are associating growing popularity with declining quality when all that's really going on is a sonic progresson.

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Posted By: Synchestra
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 18:32
Signify today. But it really could've been any of them. PTree, to me, are an incredibly consistent band.

-------------
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 18:35
I'm going with Lightbulb Sun which has been my favorite for a while, though I will admit, I've been giving "The Incident" quite a few listens lately in anticipation of the upcoming show in Pittsburgh and it is growing on me.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 19:41
It's a tie between Signify and Lightbulb Sun. But since I only have one vote, I'll give it to Lightbulb Sun because the album came out when I was going through a painful divorce and was very therapeutic for me. A special album with personal significance. But I still love Signify too!!! (Actually, I haven't met a PT album I didn't like, just some I don't love as much as others.)

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 19:52
Lightbulb Sun The Incident has been growing on me a lot lately though. In Absentia in a close second.

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 20:02
I haven't even heard Lightbulb Sun, apparently I should get it

Sky Moves Sideways, one of the greatest things to come out of the 90s

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: April 26 2010 at 20:48
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Lightbulb Sun

This, with Deadwing up there.

Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 00:18
On the sunday of life should have been a poll choice... Once again I did something wrong.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 02:57
Lightbulb Sun and FOABP leading the way, hmmm.  Methinks it won't stay that way for long.

I love the early albums Up The Downstair and TSMS.  Of the latest albums I prefer Deadwing and The Incident.  On the subject of The Incident I really cannot for the life of me understand the flak this gets.  I think it's absolutely outstanding.  For me, it's their best effort since the mid-90s.

My vote goes to The Sky Moves Sideways, the rest of my top 5 at present are:-

2.  The Incident
3.  Up The Downstair
4.  Deadwing
5.  Stupid Dream

Posted By: zbida
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 03:41
In Absentia is absolutely fantastic. With Up The Downstair and Fear Of The Blank Planet close behind.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 04:17
I vote " Stupid Dream" but this is very difficult to choose between " Fear Of The Blank Planet "  and  it. SD made me to be a fan of PT. PT's best album is : Fear Of The Blank Planet.

Posted By: The Sleepwalker
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 04:19
FOABP is the only PT album I really enjoy, some of there other albums sound quite good as well, but FOABP IMO is their only 4 star album. 

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 04:22
Voyage 34.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 05:11
I think they peaked with The Sky Moves Sideways and Up the Downstair, then from there kind of fizzled into mediocrity.

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 05:13
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

I think they peaked with The Sky Moves Sideways and Up the Downstair, then from there kind of fizzled into mediocrity.

If you count Signify as good, then I'm with you. Latter PT has good moments, even amazing moments, but the albums are less consistently good than UTD/TSMS/Signify were.

But that is just my opinion.

Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 06:53
My Personal favorite is FOBP. It was also my first PT album that I listened to.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 09:22
I Fear I am with the majority here.

All are good though!

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 10:05
Too much choice here! 
I'll go for Signify, but Up The Downstairs and FoaBP are close behind

Posted By: santiagomo87
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 19:40
I find In Absentia to be the peak of their career

-------------
Santiago

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: April 27 2010 at 21:07
I'm really surprised that FOABP is winning. Hey i like them all i just didn't think was one of the more popular ones.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 29 2010 at 07:05
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

I'm really surprised that FOABP is winning. Hey i like them all i just didn't think was one of the more popular ones.

Agree..

..and my vote goes to In Absentia.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: April 29 2010 at 08:41
I know that I will be criticized by some people for this, but I'm glad that The Incident is the least voted album.

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 03:02
It could be any of them really. They've yet to make an album I didn't like. 

I might go with In Absentia today. That is one of my personal favourites. I've always been partial to Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun era- PT, too. This is a hard decision. 

I'll say In Absentia. 

I am surprised The Incident isn't getting any votes. I thought it was the best album of '09 personally. 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: May 03 2010 at 16:46
Probably In Absentia, although I love everything from Signify on.

-------------

Posted By: bsms810
Date Posted: May 03 2010 at 17:45
Fear for me aswell

-------------
'when was the last time you had a girlfriend?'
'I dont look at it as when, I look at it as who...and why' - David Brent

Posted By: trackstoni
Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 07:29
   In Fact i can't simply choose from such beautifull & successful albums , but for the record , Deadwing comes second , in my humble opinion , after Coma Divine , and both albums are the best i've got in 50 years . ////////////      TracksToni

-------------
Tracking Tracks of Rock

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 07:52
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

I am surprised The Incident isn't getting any votes. I thought it was the best album of '09 personally. 

I couldn't agree more Kashmir Clap.  The Incident is a fantastic album and I really think I should have put it at number 1 rather than 2 as I did when I first posted.  It was certainly my favourite album of 2009 and that in a year when there were so many excellent releases.

It appears as though this is an album that is loved by the minority and hated by the majority, even some PT fanboys .  We may be in the minority here but we know we're right Wink.

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 19:48
The Incident

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: May 06 2010 at 06:16
DEADWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Palliams
Date Posted: May 20 2010 at 03:57
Difficult one this as I regard TSMS, Signify, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing and FOABP in high regard. I can narrow this down to 2 albums though...

The Sky Moves Sideways and Fear Of A Blank Planet. These two albums for me personally, have everything that I look for in an album. They need to be listened to from start to finish in order for them to make full sense, they take you on a journey.

The Sky Moves Sideways was the 1st album I purchased by PT, and I had never heard a single note by this band until I put that CD on and I was blown away, similar to when I descovered Pink Floyd. Fear Of A Blank Planet had exactly the same effect on me. Whilst the other albums I have mentioned are extremely strong, there are songs on all of them that I care little for. On Signify I always have to skip Idiot Prayer and Intermediate Jesus. Four Chords that Made A million on Lightbulb Sun is argubly the worst song Steven Wilson has ever written. In Absentia has Lips Of Ashes, which whilst quite plesant at times, is also quite boring, I don't like Wedding Nails, whilst Gravity Eyelids is over-long but can be forgiven when it finally kicks in. Deadwing is a very strong album though, I can listen to this in it's entirety without a problem and the issues I have with songs on this album or minor. I find Lazarus a lbit too commercial and repetative and after listening to Half-Light I can't help but find Glass Arm Shattering a little wanting, although it does fit into the albums sound much better than if Half-Light had of been included instead.

FOABP is the album I have to choose though. Anesthetize,for me, is there ultimate achievement, whilst the other songs fit in perfectly around it and it's themes to create the perfect record for me. I also think Sleep Together is very underrated. It is a brilliant example of prog.

Posted By: TheClosing
Date Posted: May 20 2010 at 04:18
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

Imo their true genius didn't hit its stride till Stupid Dream. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk