Print Page | Close Window

Electric Light Orchestra V Queen

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67288
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 06:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Electric Light Orchestra V Queen
Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Subject: Electric Light Orchestra V Queen
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 15:09
Two brilliant flamboyant rock bands who rose to greatness in the 1970s, but which do you prefer?

For me, it is Electric Light Orchestra.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Replies:
Posted By: Johnnytuba
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 15:18
Tough one, I'll take Queen though, only by a little.

-------------
"The things that we're concealing, will never let us grow.
Time will do its healing, you've got to let it go.

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 15:44
Queen by miles.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 16:32
Queen, but not by far.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 17:40
Dang!  Angry Scratch that vote.  Meant to vote Queen, but hit ELO, whose work never did much for me with a few scattered exceptions like Fire on High and Time.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Lizzy
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 17:45
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Queen.

-------------
Property of Queen Productions...

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 18:03
Black and White Queen for me!

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 21:14
ELO....Love what they did to rock with the classical strings addition.

Although there is no better vocalist in rock than Freddie Mercury......

-------------

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 21:15
Judging by hits alone, Queen by far.

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 00:11
Queen!!!!

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: rosenbach
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 02:54
Both were my favourite bands when i started listening rock (early 80's) but have to say to this date I enjoy much more Queen than ELO, so they get my vote.

Posted By: Tursake
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 03:24
Queen by far, I only like a few songs for ELO Confused

-------------

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 06:52
ELO.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 06:55
I prefer ELO, but only by a little bit. Both great bands!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 07:03
Queen!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 07:51
by far queen !!!!!!!!!! they are not at the same leauge...

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 20:47
Originally posted by antonyus antonyus wrote:

by far queen !!!!!!!!!! they are not at the same leauge...

They are indeed in the same league. ELO had a run of great albums and songs in their heyday. Jeff Lynne is an excellent songwriter. 
Queen was also supremely talented and successful, but not so much so as to be in a different league than ELO.

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 20:49
I love ELO but Queen is my favorite band ever.

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 20:54
Hard question, I really love some albums by both bands.

I would place "A New World Record" and "A Night at the Opera" in the same level.

Still, Freddie's personality and showmanship deserves an extra point, so ill go with Queen, but by a nose.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: caretaker
Date Posted: May 11 2010 at 12:26
two great , unique bands. two of my favorite proggy type bands. ELO does my favorite version of "roll over beethoven".  "fire on high" is allright but "the prophets song" is the tiebreaker for me.

Posted By: RoyFairbank
Date Posted: May 11 2010 at 15:26
For me this Killer Queen and We are the Champions vs. my beloved Electric Light Orchestra.

I haven't heard much more from Queen but my image of them is a .... glam band that is happy to work with ...lord Adam Lambert. Yuk!

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: May 11 2010 at 18:19
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

For me this Killer Queen and We are the Champions vs. my beloved Electric Light Orchestra.

I haven't heard much more from Queen but my image of them is a .... glam band that is happy to work with ...lord Adam Lambert. Yuk!

Get "Innuendo"! A great track. And you can't go wrong with Steve Howe's 'wandering minstrel' solo

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: May 12 2010 at 14:07
ELO.

Queen is less progressive, to me.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Lizzy
Date Posted: May 12 2010 at 14:16
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

Oh come on! That's just Brian and Roger at menopause. Cut them some slack! (that being said, Rrrroger is still the love of my lifeEmbarrassed)
So, if you have the time get Queen II and we'll talk afterwards.Wink

-------------
Property of Queen Productions...

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: May 12 2010 at 15:36
Queen. ELO is about as interesting as . . . some other not very interesting thing. Sleepy

Posted By: esky
Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 10:27
Queen? In this forum? But anyway, I'll go with ELO although they could always be counted on to be a little smarmy and candy-ass. As for Queen, they were rockers who flirted with prog in snippets here and there along the way.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: May 14 2010 at 05:53

-------------

Posted By: cocaine
Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 06:34
ELO were inspired by The Beatles. Queen was inspired by ELO. I feel Queen 'copied' ELO but I don't mean copy in a bad way. Many many ELO ideas viz. orchestra, vocals, chord progressions, piano, ended up in Queen songs.

Compare

Sweet Talkin Woman -v- I want to break free

for example.

(And then compare

Night in the city -v- A day in the life, and Starlight -v- Live and let die!!!).

Anyway, my vote goes to ELO for sure! It has a classic groove, it's so smooth. A lot more funk (at least in the sound production). But thank goodness for Queen and The Beatles too...

Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 06:50
Sorry for the mistake. Live and let die (McCartney) was 'inspired' by Starlight. So McCartney inspired by ELO which was in turn inspired by McCartney.

It's like a 'musical oneness Utopia'.

By the way, why did everyone stop talking about this almost 2 months ago?

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 06:51
This is easy for me because I think ELO suck the big one.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 07:24
and Jeff Lynne is actualy quite an underrated (yes i said underrated), singer he have a perfect vocal tone which brings tears in youre eyes, on he's best he kan give Roy Orbison a real challange vocaly, and he is also a qiute okey guitaris as well, not a shredder but i have seen he's fingger flye over the frettbord on some ochasions.

Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 08:28
I think Snow Boy is a Genesis fan. Fair enough. I think I moved off track a little with the Beatles, Aginor with Roy (perhaps) and Snow Boy with Genesis.

(This thread was originally ELO-v-Queen)

But yes, to get to the last point, Roy Orbison was perhaps the greatest voice ever recorded (at least in non-classical music). Even Elvis said so...

Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 08:37
Originally posted by cocaine cocaine wrote:

I think Snow Boy is a Genesis fan. Fair enough. I think I moved off track a little with the Beatles, Aginor with Roy (perhaps) and Snow Boy with Genesis.

(This thread was originally ELO-v-Queen)

But yes, to get to the last point, Roy Orbison was perhaps the greatest voice ever recorded (at least in non-classical music). Even Elvis said so...

I never even mentioned Genesis. ELO suck imo...end of.

I presume you are referring to me. I may be wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 08:51
Sorry, I was looking at the picture (with recent tracks and top artists from last.fm), and since AtomicCrimsonRush had pictures of Pink Floyd and Genesis I was reading too much into it.

My fault...

Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 10:00
Originally posted by cocaine cocaine wrote:

Sorry, I was looking at the picture (with recent tracks and top artists from last.fm), and since AtomicCrimsonRush had pictures of Pink Floyd and Genesis I was reading too much into it.

My fault...

Thats Ok cockaine.Tongue

-------------

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 12:57
ELO by a thousand miles.  They have some AMAZING work (actually a lot of amazing work), some okay work, and some that I could take of leave.  

Queen has a few good songs and a LOT of generic filler songs in my opinion.  (I said in my opinion, before some fanboy goes off on me).  And I never really saw the fascination with Queen other than Mercury having a good voice.

Also, ELO is a good prog rock band, Queen is a generic rock band that occasionally has moments that are debatably progressive.  

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 12:59
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

This by a country mile.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: kevin4peace
Date Posted: August 05 2011 at 01:44
 I'll take ELO, just because they were more consistent to me. Queen had 4 writers, and sometimes wrote boring songs. Jeff Lynne, in my honest and seemingly unique opinion, never wrote a bad song.

-------------
Nothing to say here. Nothing at all. Nothing is easy.

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 04:33
I prefer ELO because Jeff Lynne is much superior songwriter to anything anyone in Queen can produce, and even though Queen are the superior musicians and a better group.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 12:33
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

I prefer ELO because Jeff Lynne is much superior songwriter to anything anyone in Queen can produce, and even though Queen are the superior musicians and a better group.

Jeff Lynne is a great songwriter, but not better  than Freddie.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 13:17
As much as I'm not really into ELO, I've heard a large portion of their music and never disliked any of it, though it's too poppy to be something I'd ever choose.  However, I really don't care for anything I've heard by Queen.  Their single most impact on my life is the Bohemian Rhapsody scene in Wayne's World.  And I agree, Jeff Lynne's writing strikes me as superior to Freddy Mercury's, just so much more going on.  

Also Jeff Lynne's voice destroys me....the Rain is Falling.

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 15:06
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Freddie was a great singer and showman, but he couldn't write a song to save his life (!); the 'songs' he did write were amazingly old-fashioned (and camp!) for someone from a supposedly-heavy Rock group. Even the best piece he ever did - parts of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' - were snatches of good melody (but with meaningless lyrics) interspersed with trivial/mundane musical interludes heavily laced with bad taste which only a group peddling excess as a norm could get away with. So no, in my opinion Freddie wasn't even in the first league of songwriters, though he certainly had plenty going for him in other ways.

Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 15:30
^^I agree, and showmanship has never been something I've cared about.  Stop jumping around and play your instrument better

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 21:08
Not much into ELO, so no vote. 

Anyway, Queen's style was anticipated by Sparks who did it WITHOUT the pastiche approach that Queen favoured in not only Bohemian..but many other well regarded songs like March of the Black Queen and went for 3-4 minute slabs of smart pop/rock instead.  Sparks also tried many more things so it's not possible for me to hold Queen's compositional skills in the same high regard as I would have before.  Yeah, mainly about the flamboyance of Mercury and May. And as much as I like Freddie's singing, he's NOT my favourite rock singer and is pretty weak when it comes to truly melancholic moments.  His singing on the first section of Bohemian is overwrought but it works because of the band's generally campy style of music.  

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 21:38
Of course Queen will win. I doubt anyone expects otherwise. I wholly prefer ELO, though. For one, Lynne did things with pop melodies that Freddie would've shat his panties over. Lynne did things with production. It's all opinions. I dunno why I'm wasting my time when all I'll do is contradict my stupid words, later. 

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 21:40
I'd pick virtually any musical act over ELO.  So, yeah.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 22:43
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

As Epignosis, I say, "Yay!"

As an ELO fan, I say Pat is foolish and needs to revisit ELO.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: August 15 2011 at 05:29
Put me down for Queen. ELO took an album or two to get up to speed, and then their classic period is comparatively brief; Queen had their sound nailed down straight out of the gate and put out more top-flight albums than ELO ever did, in my book.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 15 2011 at 15:03
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

As Epignosis, I say, "Yay!"

As an ELO fan, I say Pat is foolish and needs to revisit ELO.

I've been called worse Wink

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 16:36

Freddie was a great singer and showman, but he couldn't write a song to save his life (!); the 'songs' he did write were amazingly old-fashioned (and camp!) for someone from a supposedly-heavy Rock group. Even the best piece he ever did - parts of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' - were snatches of good melody (but with meaningless lyrics) interspersed with trivial/mundane musical interludes heavily laced with bad taste which only a group peddling excess as a norm could get away with. So no, in my opinion Freddie wasn't even in the first league of songwriters, though he certainly had plenty going for him in other ways.

Freddie wasn't in the first league of songwriters??

"Bohemian Rhapsody", "The March Of The Black Queen", "Millonaire Waltz". With those three songs, he is better than most musicians.

And "We Are The Champions", "My Fary King", "Ogre Battle", "Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy", "Bycycle Race", "Killer Queen", "The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke", etc..

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 16:41
But Lynne had Bluebird is Dead, Turn to Stone, Do Ya, Evil Woman, Telephone Line, Shangri-La, Tightrope, Fire on High, Sweet Talkin' Woman, Mr. Blue Sky, etc. 

Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 02:54

Queen made excellent recordings with high levels of performance, but song quality was not of the same standard, otherwise it would have been even better than it was. ELO has many of those qualities too, but the songs are just as  good. Recording skills and writing skills are two different things, one can make up for deficiencies in the other, but of course, it's best when the two meet in harmony.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 03:41
Except ELO 2, I really like all their albums 1971-1981.

Queen, well I do love their second album, and a track here and there.

-------------

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 03:47
ELO.

Queen is overrated, only handful of above average songs.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 04:07

"Bohemian Rhapsody", "The March Of The Black Queen", "Millonaire Waltz". With those three songs, he is better than most musicians.

As SONGS, they certainly aren't in THAT exalted company. I'd only make such a statement about a band like Beatles and they were easily far superior masters of songwriting than Queen (or most rock bands for that matter).

Posted By: FunkyHomoSapien
Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 09:53
ELO

Posted By: resurrection
Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 00:14
ELO for me

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 07:12
Queen. ELO has nothing comparable to the three consecutive albums Queen II, Shear Heart Attack and A Night at the Opera. Queen was simply a better rock band than ELO,

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Mitchell2095
Date Posted: August 22 2011 at 09:51

I like Queen but I love ELO!

Date Posted: August 22 2011 at 10:09
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Queen. ELO has nothing comparable to the three consecutive albums Queen II, Shear Heart Attack and A Night at the Opera. Queen was simply a better rock band than ELO,

But ELO were a MUCH better pop band, and that's more important to me these days. I don't give a sh*t how fast or loud Brian May's murky little guitar tone is. When it came to writing melodies, Mercury didn't hold a candle to Lynne. And these days, with all them damn Kansas and Camel and Supertramp and Uriah Heep and Deep Purp and blah blah blah blah doing the 'art ROCK' thing, I stop giving a sh*t really early on.

Posted By: Lucas Hollands
Date Posted: September 28 2017 at 04:11
ELO because I'm a real sucker for strings. Don't get me wrong I love queen but ELO has always been a personal favourite of mine

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: September 29 2017 at 00:10
Queen, without a second thought...

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: September 29 2017 at 02:49
Warning: Old prog - geek about to reveal / confirm everything you've ever heard about prog - geeks to be true, to at least some degree.

I'm sorry. I thought this was a progressive website. Must've stumbled into your nice little popular music area by mistake.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: September 29 2017 at 03:41
^ Indeed you did: this is a Prog-Related section

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: September 29 2017 at 04:08
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Indeed you did: this is a Prog-Related section

Warning: worse yet to come.

Abstain.

(From the vote.)

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 29 2017 at 04:58
It seemed I had already voted in this poll - six years ago. Queen is occasionally fantastic but it takes another level of pop-genius to create pocket-symphony perfection such as Livin' Thing, Strange Magic, Twilight...

-------------

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: September 29 2017 at 07:13
Queen by a ridiculously big distance. 

And I really like some ELO stuff. 

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 29 2017 at 08:16
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Queen by a ridiculously big distance. 

And I really like some ELO stuff. 

my thoughts exactly :)

Print Page | Close Window