Print Page | Close Window

The song "Black Sabbath" or The Beatles I Want You

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67620
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 18:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The song "Black Sabbath" or The Beatles I Want You
Posted By: Floydman
Subject: The song "Black Sabbath" or The Beatles I Want You
Date Posted: May 22 2010 at 11:41
Which song do you like better "Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath or The Beatles "I Want You" (She's So Heavy) ?

Replies:
Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: May 22 2010 at 13:24
Black Sabbath. Rawks

Although it is odd to think that I Want You was heavier than some of the stuff on Sabbath's first album, which is routinely called the first real heavy metal album.

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: May 22 2010 at 16:51
I like both and wouldn't say I prefer one over the other as they belong to different genres.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: May 22 2010 at 19:42
You pulled those two from your ass? Why are you comparing them? Is there any common denominator?

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 00:02
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

You pulled those two from your ass? Why are you comparing them? Is there any common denominator?

I think it may have something to do with the fact that both are occasionally cited as major influences on heavier music to come. Either that, or yes, these two are indeed ass pullings.

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 05:41

Floydman has asked us to compare two seemingly unrelated songs. I don't see any problem with that, although maybe some further explanation would have been helpful. However, I really don't see where this level of anger is coming from. It may not have been your intention, but that's how you seem to me... and if not anger, it's certainly offensive. Some encouragement for the newbie would be nice and surely wouldn't hurt.

On topic... Sabbath for me... I just don't get The White Album in general.   

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 05:57
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Floydman has asked us to compare two seemingly unrelated songs. I don't see any problem with that, although maybe some further explanation would have been helpful. However, I really don't see where this level of anger is coming from. It may not have been your intention, but that's how you seem to me... and if not anger, it's certainly offensive. Some encouragement for the newbie would be nice and surely wouldn't hurt.

Do you get Abbey Road? Wink 

Sabbaff for me.  I want you is good but not my favourite by the boys . 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 07:51

Anger? No way! LOL I wasn't been very tactical, that's true (more drunk, but that's another storyPinch). But I doubt anyone will start crying in front of the computer because of my irrelevant comment.

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 08:28

I am suprised by this reaction actually. Uh, no I didn't pull those two out of a hat. One Ozzy said the ending of this song influenced him. Second that long instrumental section sounds very dark and yes proto-metal or even metal. It's also very progressive the end of She's So Heavy has the ostinato bassline increasing in volume to the point of becoming pure clipping distortion and then is abruptly cut off at peak volume. I have to ask are some of you guys who are into Black Sabbath might be angry because the Beatles were mentioned? if that's the case remember they influenced basically every early prog artist.

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 08:31

Again if you listen to the end of "I Want You"  that long instrumental section sounds very dark and yes proto-metal or even metal which I heard influenced Black Sabbath. Covered by people like Coroner also.

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 11:54
Black Sabbath, even though it's pretty monotonous except for the ending. Both songs are beyond awesome anyway.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 21:33
I know almost nothing from Black Sabbath, but indeed I find I want you as almost a Heavy Metal song, and even having some elements from Prog, so I might even stretch it a bit and say it is almost a Prog Metal song, before even Prog and Metal were born.

Posted By: boo boo
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 06:30
Originally posted by Tarquin Underspoon Tarquin Underspoon wrote:

I think it may have something to do with the fact that both are occasionally cited as major influences on heavier music to come. Either that, or yes, these two are indeed ass pullings.

As has a whole lot of songs from the 60s and 70s.

This is a very very random comparison. A tough choice, but I'm gonna have to go with I Want You (She's Heavy). One of my favorites off of Abbey Road, that riff really does have a proto metal vibe to it.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs/?chartstyle=LastfmSuicjdeGirls" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:20
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Do you get Abbey Road? Wink 

Sabbaff for me.  I want you is good but not my favourite by the boys . 

Don't know where that came from... what a plonker Embarrassed  Too many overtime shifts I guess!! Tongue 

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 12:46
21st Century Schizoid Man.

Posted By: Caliban
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 14:40
Black Sabbath, just encapsulates doooooooom

Posted By: CinemaZebra
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 23:02
Blue Cheer's cover of Summertime Blues. Seriously...

THAT is the birth of metal. If this is even what this thread is about.

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2010 at 09:35
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Pink Floyd- The Nile Song

Seriously this thread is not about who invented Heavy Metal. No one artist invented anything, music constantly evolves and builds on past influences. Prototype Metal IMO evolved from such things as Hendrix, Cream "Helter Skelter", Zeppelin, etc.

I think that when the Beatles did "Helter Skelter", they did indeed push the envelope one more step towards a harder, heavier kind of rock. The amount of cover versions testify to it's influence.
 I have always believed that Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" was directly influenced by "Helter Skelter". I think Black Sabbath was a true metal band though.

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 03:36
The title track of Black Sabbath's debut wins for me. That song still freaks me out when I hear it today. This was unparalleled at the time. It was definitely a new, heavier kind of music. Sure, you had guys like The Kinks, the Who, Led Zep, Blue Cheer, Cream, Hendrix, (even the Beatles with 'Helter Skelter'), turning up their amps. But I think it all really came together into a new form of music when Sabbath dropped their debut. 

I've always said that The Kinks and the Who made music loud. Zeppelin made it heavy. Sabbath made it EVIL! Rawks

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 11:35
Black Sabbath is doomier, but I Want You is more interesting.  I Want You is my pick.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:38
Originally posted by Floydman Floydman wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Pink Floyd- The Nile Song

Seriously this thread is not about who invented Heavy Metal. No one artist invented anything, music constantly evolves and builds on past influences. Prototype Metal IMO evolved from such things as Hendrix, Cream "Helter Skelter", Zeppelin, etc.

I think that when the Beatles did "Helter Skelter", they did indeed push the envelope one more step towards a harder, heavier kind of rock. The amount of cover versions testify to it's influence.
 I have always believed that Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" was directly influenced by "Helter Skelter". I think Black Sabbath was a true metal band though.

I wasn't trying to answer to the question: "Who created heavy metal?" (and after all, it's Robert Johnson), but just saying what was my choice between the 'eatles and 'lack Sa''ath.

Posted By: Nightshine
Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:48
Due to my writhing hatred against The Beatles, the answer is clear.

Posted By: kevin4peace
Date Posted: August 05 2011 at 01:56
I Want You. It's just so perfect... Black Sabbath is pretty good, though. 

-------------
Nothing to say here. Nothing at all. Nothing is easy.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk