Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67653
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 16:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: James LaBrie or Steven Wilson?
Posted By: The Monodrone
Subject: James LaBrie or Steven Wilson?
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:22
I just saw a "Harrison vs Portnoy" poll, so I thought it would be interesting to see which singer people prefer:
Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree   or   James LaBrie of Dream Theater??
Remember, this is based on who you prefer...

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: LiquidEternity
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:26
Preference or ability? You said preference above, but in your poll you said ability. Which do you want, a reflection of their ability or how much we like them?

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:26
Funnily enough, in the last two hours I prepared a James LaBrie vs. Topi Lehtipuu (of Hoyry-Kone) poll, but decided not to post it..

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:28
Steven Wilson has a fine voice for the style Porcupine Tree plays, however he's not a singer that has 'wow' moments.

James LaBrie, while his latest offerings with DT are ugly for me, his overall vocal performance in Falling Into Infinity makes me want to vote for him.

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:28
Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

Preference or ability? You said preference above, but in your poll you said ability. Which do you want, a reflection of their ability or how much we like them?
Which do you prefer... sorry about that.

-------------

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:29
Wilson has a more limited range than LaBrie, but has a better tone IMO. LaBrie is more diverse (and very talented) so I went with DT's singer.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:29
James Labrie. 

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: Zombywoof
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:56
Wilson. I prefer Dream Theater's music over Porcupine Tree's, but I don't care for Labrie's voice much at all.

-------------
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 17:55
Wilson's no amazing singer, but I'll take him over LaBrie any day.

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 18:33
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

Wilson's no amazing singer, but I'll take him over LaBrie any day.
Wink

-------------

Posted By: LiquidEternity
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 18:37
Yeah, well, I've had a falling out with both bands these last few years. Wilson at his peak sounds much more organic than LaBrie, but the latter on the whole sounds better to me. I just think that since Wilson writes his own vocal melodies to perfectly coincide with his voice, he ends up sounding like all his songs fit him just right. But since LaBrie is not the only writer, he has to work hard at some of the melodies (or quaint nonmelodies, on occasion). If LaBrie were in such control of Dream Theater as Wilson is of Porcupine Tree, I think it would all sound better. Of course, I mean, if LaBrie were in such control of DT and had the melody-writing skills of Wilson...

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 18:59
Ok...this is a bit better poll than the drumming one.......
I picked LaBrie, cause I believe he has better range than Steve. Maybe Steve does, but it never comes out on his recordings......A lot of his vocals are in a small pitch range..But it works for PT style of music.

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 19:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Ok...this is a bit better poll than the drumming one.......
I picked LaBrie, cause I believe he has better range than Steve. Maybe Steve does, but it never comes out on his recordings......A lot of his vocals are in a small pitch range..But it works for PT style of music.
But do you like LaBrie more?.. or do you think he has more skill than Wilson?  The poll is based on preference, not skill.

-------------

Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 19:06

Steven Wilson has a very "90s" voice, almost Alternative in a way.

JLB has a very "80s" voice, almost torture in a way.

Steven it is. Tongue

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 20:36
LaBrie is technically the better singer, but I much prefer Wilson's voice.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 21:06
neither of them is superb

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 21:27
I prefer the sound of Wilson's voice, but LaBrie is technically the more gifted singer. 

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 03:04
Wilson wins for me. His singing, songwriting, and musicianship are all great, IMO. I sometimes think I'm listening to a different band to other people. 

I actually think Labrie is pretty great when he puts his mind to it. When he's good, he's very good. He needs to know when to hold back sometimes, but in general he's a very talented singer.

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 04:34
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

LaBrie is technically the better singer, but I much prefer Wilson's voice.

-------------

Posted By: poslednijat_colobar
Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 06:38

James LaBrie

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 06:49
Clearly, LaBrie is easily the best technically.  However, SW's voice is just perfect for PT.

If there's been a better case of fence-sitting recently, I'm yet to see it Wink.

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 14:11
Labrie... because he is a singer... and Wilson isn't... and as someone said, Labries has to adapt himself to the ideas of somebody else... and he has succeeded in most everything he has done, like The Mullmuzzler, Ayreon, True Symphonic Orchestra, Explorers Club, Roswell Six and DT, of course... so... Labrie..

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 17:22
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Labrie... because he is a singer... and Wilson isn't... and as someone said, Labries has to adapt himself to the ideas of somebody else... and he has succeeded in most everything he has done, like The Mullmuzzler, Ayreon, True Symphonic Orchestra, Explorers Club, Roswell Six and DT, of course... so... Labrie..
What, just because Wilson hasn't taken singing lessons (and maybe he has, I don't know), he's not a singer?  What about the countless wonderful untrained guitarists and musicians (of which there are many of on this site)? Are they not musicians because they haven't taken lessons? I'm not sure what that statement meant...Confused

-------------

Posted By: boo boo
Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 17:32

This is a question for everyone who voted for Labrie and I'm gonna put it as politely as I can.

Are you joking?

The lession here is that sometimes less is more, Wilson may not  have a technically impressive voice but it suits the music perfectly while Labrie has the most irritating voice of any rock band I can think of that isn't from the Chad Kroeger school of whiny throat cancer vocals, I don't like DT anyway, not even for the instrumentals (which are bland beyond belief) but Labrie makes it pretty unbearable.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs/?chartstyle=LastfmSuicjdeGirls" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 17:36
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

This is a question for everyone who voted for Labrie and I'm gonna put it as politely as I can.

Are you joking?

Why? Can you explain why? Can you say it in actual musical or mathematical or scientific or any kind of FACTUAL terms that CAN'T be disputed? 

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 17:36

Are you joking?
I really hope they are...Tongue.. though I doubt it... what is PA coming to? Confused

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 17:37
As a singer, 1000 times for Labrie, who can sing melodies much better than Wilson, who in general is a better singer than Wilson. Obviously, as a musician, Wilson has the advantage, since he's an instrumentalist, writer and arranger (and producer). 

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 17:54
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Are you joking?

Why? Can you explain why? Can you say it in actual musical or mathematical or scientific or any kind of FACTUAL terms that CAN'T be disputed? 

Why yes I can.

Well not really no, I'm a hyperbole machine but I guess a more polite way of putting it is I REALLY hate Dream Theater, the singer in particular. Angry

I understand that everyone has the right to their opinion, in the same way people have the right to think Nickelback are a better band than The Beatles but that doesn't mean I can't laugh at the idea.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs/?chartstyle=LastfmSuicjdeGirls" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:00

Are you joking?

The lession here is that sometimes less is more, Wilson may not  have a technically impressive voice but it suits the music perfectly while Labrie has the most irritating voice of any rock band I can think of that isn't from the Chad Kroeger school of whiny throat cancer vocals, I don't like DT anyway, not even for the instrumentals (which are bland beyond belief) but Labrie makes it pretty unbearable.

So...because you don't like LaBrie...you're saying everybody who DID vote LaBrie must be joking...

Maybe you need a lesson on opinions.

Anyways, no vote. They are two of my favourite singers out there and it would pain me to vote against either of them.

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:07

Are you joking?

Why yes I can.

Well not really no, I'm a hyperbole machine but I guess a more polite way of putting it is I REALLY hate Dream Theater, the singer in particular. Angry

I understand that everyone has the right to their opinion, in the same way people have the right to think Nickelback are a better band than The Beatles but that doesn't mean I can't laugh at the idea.

You see... you can't even understand the value of debate and you come here asking for answers...

Well, the fact is that Labrie sings while Wilson speaks nice and soft near the mic... when he doesn't reaches more options for his songs he uses effects or plain boring phrases in a very depressive way... that's why Labrie is way more better...

you want more reasons...? guess what? how many contributions has Labrie done and been ask to work with...? while Wilson is invited when he is the producer or the arranger or he is involved with the compossition... he is not a hired for anyone who wants a good singer... while Labrie does it all the time, you know what? because he is a singer...

Now, we are not discussing the quality of the musicians, of course Wilson is a songwriter and Labrie doesn't... but as a singer... Labrie is a lot better... as easy as that...

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:17
^ I still don't understand your comment about about Wilson not being a singer.  He is a singer,man, whether you absoluely loathe him or not.  Approve

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:20
Originally posted by ptkc123 ptkc123 wrote:

^ I still don't understand your comment about about Wilson not being a singer.  He is a singer,man, whether you absoluely loathe him or not.  Approve

Let me put this in another way...? are you a musician or you just play an instrument...?

apply the same for Steven Wilson... Geek

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:21

I really don't care how much vocal gymnastics the guy can do, if anything that's why I hate him, his vocals are too damn hammy for me to bear and for someone who actually enjoys the vocals of Dave Byron that's saying something. But Uriah Heep were actually fun.

I think Labrie an atrocious singer. Who has he been asked to work with? Aryeon and Fates Warning? I'm not fond of those artists either.

I apologise for the blunt words used earlier, I meant for it to be a pretty obvious hyperbole, it was meant more to emphasize my severe dislike of Labrie and DT rather than an insult to people who like them. Since I do have friends who are big DT fans and I get along with them just fine.

Also I don't understand how Wilson isn't a singer, he sings on his records doesn't he? Well then he's a singer. I don't get the concept of "he's a songwriter not a singer", uh, why can't he be both? Because that's what he IS obviously.

I know that you probably hate Wilson's vocals because it sounds bored and disinterested but considering the kinda themes his songs are about, that's why they are so PERFECT for the songs, his songs are about isolation, lonliness and depression and personally I find these to be more interesting than all the stuff DT rips from the prog cliche handbook.

I like powerful, emotional vocals but sometimes mellower, simple vocals work better. It really depends on the kind of music.

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:21

Are you joking?

Why yes I can.

I laugh more at how people are unable to express their likes and dislikes without having to try to pinch or insult somebody... 

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:22

I really don't care how much vocal gymnastics the guy can do, if anything that's why I hate him, his vocals are too damn hammy for me to bear and for someone who actually enjoys the vocals of Dave Byron that's saying something. But Uriah Heep were actually fun. 

I think Labrie an atrocious singer. Who has he been asked to work with? Aryeon and Fates Warning? I'm not fond of those artists either.

I apologise for the blunt words used earlier, I meant for it to be a pretty obvious hyperbole, it was meant more to emphasize my severe dislike of Labrie and DT rather than an insult to people who like them. Since I do have friends who are big DT fans and I get along with them just fine.

"I do have friends that..." That's always a good excuse to insult people and then show how fools they were for believing, oh god, that you had insulted them... 

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:30

Let me put this in another way...? are you a musician or you just play an instrument...?

apply the same for Steven Wilson... Geek
Wilson is a very devoted singer... listen to Gravity Eyelids from In Absentia, or Trains, or Dot Three... very good vocals there... just a suggestion

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:34

You can see again, the fact that you are not fond with those bands doesn't mean anything... just that you have bad taste... LOL Seriously... you see that you can't even speak for Wilson.. you are just full with hate and can't even argue... Labrie is a better singer, with a wider vocal range, with different textures of interpretation and a lot of resources to apply to each song... Wilson is plain... now, if you like Wilson more that have to do only with your tastes... not with the technical ability of the "SINGERS"... That's why Wilson is a Guitarrist who sings, and Labrie IS a singer...

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 18:38
Lol at the irony of calling me closed minded for not understanding the appeal of a singer (despite NEVER saying people who like him have bad taste) and THEN telling me I have bad taste for my preferences.

Considering that 44 people voted for him, a LOT of people here have bad taste by your logic.

I have a strong anti DT bias I can't deny, so yes it is hard for me to understand the appeal of a band I find to be pretty rancid, I'm not insulting you or other DT fans so much as asking the appeal (and there was a more proper way of doing that then saying "are you joking?" I admit) because I really don't get it, though I appreciate that you gave your own explaination... not that it really helped.

Then again I can't understand people who enjoy music just for the technical prowess which is really the only thing DT offers or cares about as far as I'm concerned. Though it's unfair to say that nobody can get some kind of profound meaning or emotional resonnance from DT's music. But I sure can't find it or understand how people can.

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 20:01

Are you joking?
I really hope they are...Tongue.. though I doubt it... what is PA coming to? Confused

Hey, didn't you hear? People have different opinions then others and not everyone is gonna agree with you guys! God people can be so arrogant...

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 21:55
jampa, you are wrong when you say that Wilson doesn't sing.  Didn't he sing on the Tarkus cover, if I am not mistaken?  As for the topic, LaBrie is annoying but sometimes kicks ass, e.g. Awake, Live At the Marquee, Wilson is generally boring.  I would rather a few kickass moments than endless boredom, so LaBrie.

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 22:16
Originally posted by DT-PT DT-PT wrote:

Are you joking?

Hey, didn't you hear? People have different opinions then others and not everyone is gonna agree with you guys! God people can be so arrogant...
That was a 100% joke on my part... I definitely respect opinions, they're what makes life interesting.

-------------

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 10:16
Wilson...... by far.....  DT would be much better with a different singer

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 13:34

Lol at the irony of calling me closed minded for not understanding the appeal of a singer (despite NEVER saying people who like him have bad taste) and THEN telling me I have bad taste for my preferences.

Considering that 44 people voted for him, a LOT of people here have bad taste by your logic.

I have a strong anti DT bias I can't deny, so yes it is hard for me to understand the appeal of a band I find to be pretty rancid, I'm not insulting you or other DT fans so much as asking the appeal (and there was a more proper way of doing that then saying "are you joking?" I admit) because I really don't get it, though I appreciate that you gave your own explaination... not that it really helped.

Then again I can't understand people who enjoy music just for the technical prowess which is really the only thing DT offers or cares about as far as I'm concerned. Though it's unfair to say that nobody can get some kind of profound meaning or emotional resonnance from DT's music. But I sure can't find it or understand how people can.

That's why I put a"LOL" and then a "Seriously" because I was joking... you don't know nothing about DT... so stay away of debate... really... you have agree that you hate them... so, why you get in here if you are already with fighting possition...? if you hear a song like Wither, Hollow Years, Space Dye Vest or Anna Lee and don't get the emotion... well.. then you don't know nothing about them...

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 14:10

if you hear a song like Wither, Hollow Years, Space Dye Vest or Anna Lee and don't get the emotion... well.. then you don't know nothing about them...

Barring Space Dye Vest, I don't find any of these songs so emotionally stirring. Eh, yes, there's emoting, using the term scientifically, going on but it's not such that would satisfy me.  It's a particular way of emoting that appeals to some people and doesn't to others.  It doesn't mean that somebody who doesn't find these songs moving hasn't properly heard them.  I am not going to use the precise adjectives that these kind of songs bring to mind for me, because that would only provoke more useless arguments.

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 14:15

Yeah, well, I've had a falling out with both bands these last few years. Wilson at his peak sounds much more organic than LaBrie, but the latter on the whole sounds better to me. I just think that since Wilson writes his own vocal melodies to perfectly coincide with his voice, he ends up sounding like all his songs fit him just right. But since LaBrie is not the only writer, he has to work hard at some of the melodies (or quaint nonmelodies, on occasion). If LaBrie were in such control of Dream Theater as Wilson is of Porcupine Tree, I think it would all sound better. Of course, I mean, if LaBrie were in such control of DT and had the melody-writing skills of Wilson...

Wow. Never thought about it in this way, but that makes perfect sense. 

Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 16:04

Originally posted by DT-PT DT-PT wrote:

Are you joking?

That was a 100% joke on my part... I definitely respect opinions, they're what makes life interesting.

Oh. My apologies then.

Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 16:07

A very valid point you made here. I never thought of it this way.

Posted By: ferush
Date Posted: June 01 2010 at 13:32
¿WHAT? THIS QUESTION IS A MISTAKE, OUT OF CONTEXT, DOESN'T EXIST ANSWER.

Posted By: Gandalfino
Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 10:37
Steven Wilson by far, although not unconditionally. He bores sometimes.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 11:28
I like Steven Wilson more... he has never reached the same levels of annoyance LaBrie has. However, I do believe LaBrie is technically much better than Wilson (though LaBrie has been known to have some awful moments singing live), and when LaBrie doesn't sing reaching those awful high notes, he is very enjoyable too. On the other hand, I can't imagine Wilson trying to sing Dream Theater songs, it would just be wrong, and he would never be able to reach the notes (or at least, I seriously doubt he would ever reach them), while I belive LaBrie could make a beautiful job singing Wilson's songs (when he keeps himself singing softer vocals, he can be very good too).

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 11:34

That's why I put a"LOL" and then a "Seriously" because I was joking... you don't know nothing about DT... so stay away of debate... really... you have agree that you hate them... so, why you get in here if you are already with fighting possition...? if you hear a song like Wither, Hollow Years, Space Dye Vest or Anna Lee and don't get the emotion... well.. then you don't know nothing about them...

As far as I apreciate them, DT is much more than only technical prowess. I like their melodies, and that their songs aren't all linear. They have changes and so on, they have slow moments and faster moments, and often enough their slower moments are the most beautiful. Granted, sometimes I wish their faster "technical" moments were fewer and/or shorter... but only sometimes. Sometimes they are awsome too. And they do have their completley softer songs, though I must say they aren't my favourite ones, except for a few onea, like Space Dye Vest.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 13:28
Steven Wilson.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk