Print Page | Close Window

Area Mirage / Ponty Mirage / Santana Mirage...

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68099
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 01:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Area Mirage / Ponty Mirage / Santana Mirage...
Posted By: Logan
Subject: Area Mirage / Ponty Mirage / Santana Mirage...
Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 00:45
I realized after doing the last Mirage album poll, due to comments about Ponty's "Mirage" track, that I should have thought about including tracks as options.  Area's Caution Radiation Area is one of my favourite albums and I love "Mirage" from it (surprised I didn't think of it at the time, but I was so focussed on album titles).

This is to rectify that oversight, not that it needs rectifying (but not about to do bands called Mirage). I'm sure there are many good ones missing, but it's getting late and I'll stop with just a few.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Replies:
Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 12:11
Ponty has always been a main-stay for me, so I'll stick with that.  Romano Mussolini's piece is also some very good jazz.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 12:32
JLP out of this group. Hands down.

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 13:07
Thanks for the responses so far.

My favourites of the vids I posted are Area's and then Mussolini's.  Area's is very avant-oriented, and really holds my attention .  Mussolini's is very good funky jazz.  Santana's I find dull, and the Ponty one doesn't really hold my attention.  I prefer his Cantaloupe Island to Enigmatic Ocean.

Anyway, I was expecting Ponty's "Mirage" to get the most votes, though there are quite a few Area admirers at PA (but albums such as Crac ! and Arbiet Macht Free are more popular and better known).  I wouldn't expect Area's "Mirage" to be very palatable to most people at PA.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 15:49
I'll relisten to the Mirage tracks I have, but I believe Area's will win in the end. CRA is an excellent album, one that would make my top three of Area discs.

Just for the fun of it, I searched my iTunes to see what other Mirage tracks I had. I found two others. Mirage by In Lingua Mortua (progressive black metal) and Mirage by Ricardo Zappa (probably in RPI here). Haven't listened to either of these in awhile, but I do love the ILM album so if there is something that could stop me from voting for Area it would most likely be that one. But we shall see.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 17:39
I like that Mussolini track

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 23:34
I will indeed vote for Area's.

Though that Romano Mussolini song was quite nice.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 15:04
I'm for Area because Camel's Mirage is unfortunately not a track...

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 16:24
Some other Mirages:
Buckethead's Machete Mirage
Mike Oldfield's (on QE2)
Marillion Mirages
Al DiMeola's Beyond The Mirage
(I guess we shouldn't count them if they have another word in the song title or they pluralize it. LOL)

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 18:13
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I'm for Area because Camel's Mirage is unfortunately not a track...

Wow, seeing an old poll of mine bumped somehow makes me feel kind of special.  As for albums (had done a Mirage album poll before this one), my favourite Mirage album is Klaus Schulze's.

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Some other Mirages:
Buckethead's Machete Mirage
Mike Oldfield's (on QE2)
Marillion Mirages
Al DiMeola's Beyond The Mirage
(I guess we shouldn't count them if they have another word in the song title or they pluralize it. LOL)

We won't count them for the purposes of the poll as I was just thinking of tracks called Mirage, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate finding out about more music in the posts. Do you have a favourite of them?  By they way, sort of in response to your LOL smilie since I couldn't think of anything funny to say, a not very funny cartoon.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 18:22
I went with Ponty's.  Oldfield's is a just "Mirage" Mirage song.  Nothing especially memorable about the one's I mentioned.  The Muffins albumm Manna/Mirage is pretty good, but no Mirage song on it.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 18:26
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I like that Mussolini track

Same here!

I'll go for it, Ponty's and Santana's are enjoyable but not really great, while Area's is a tune that needs more listens from me.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk