Print Page | Close Window

Anathema albums.......!!!!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68695
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 05:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anathema albums.......!!!!
Posted By: ppl
Subject: Anathema albums.......!!!!
Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 12:31
Guys i don't know if Anathema would be considered as a prog band but i really love them and i want your help about which album should be in number 1.......
1. The Silent Enigma

2. Eternity

3.Alternative 4

4. Judgement

5. A Fine Day To Exit

6. A Natural Disaster

7. We;re Here...

Replies:
Posted By: JD
Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 14:57
Welcome to the site. I may as be the first to point out that this is the "poll" section of the forum. Check out the FAQ's for usage. Basically you create a Voting Poll to see what the split of opinions are on any given subject. Popular polls such as who is the best Keyboardist or Drummer or Singer appear regularly but in your case you might have put the poll together with the list of names in the fields indicated and that generates a poll that can be voted on. Give it another try!

I'm not familiar with Anathema so i can't offer an opinion...except on how to construct polls LOL

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Falx
Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 01:38
I'd give my vote to the live album Were You There? As for studio albums, Judgement.

=F=

-------------
"You must go beyond the limit of the limit of your limits!" - Mr. Doctor
"It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 04:30
A Natural Disaster, though you must check all their post-Eternity releases for sure

Posted By: TheClosing
Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 05:00
1. AFDTE (Far and above all else from the band imo)
2. AND 

Didn't enjoy WHBWH. 

Posted By: The Monodrone
Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 09:23
I only have Judgement and I'm not a big fan of it, so I'm not sure...

-------------

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:59

Of the albums that I have got, I would vote for A Fine Day to Exit.  However, the new album is widely touted as their best.  Having said that, most artists' latest albums are purported as being thus.  We'll have to give it six months or so to get a more balanced, critical take on the album. 

Incidentally, there is a really good article in the May edition of Classic Rock Presents Prog.  Jerry Ewing the journalist says, 'With We're Here Because We're Here, Anathema have made the greatest album of their career.' Within the interview Danny Cavanagh (singer and main songwriter) says, 'This new album is our best work, and we felt that as we were making it.'

If you are interested, all of Anathema's albums are available to listen to on Spotify.....apart from the latest album!

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 13:17
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

However, the new album is widely touted as their best.  Having said that, most artists' latest albums are purported as being thus.  We'll have to give it six months or so to get a more balanced, critical take on the album. 

I'd say it's usually the opposite. Rarely do fans not complain about the new material. It's the hip the to do after all. Still you're correct about waiting at least half a year before getting a more realistic take. 

Posted By: enemyofthesundevils
Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 09:22

We're Here Because We're Here, A Fine Day To Exit, Judgement, A Natural Disaster, Alternative 4, The Silent Enigma and Eternity. The new album is their maserpiece.

Posted By: slipperman
Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:01
ANATHEMA is amazing, and 'We're Here Because We're Here' is their best one in over a decade! So right now my top 3 would be:
1) Eternity
2) Judgement
3) We're Here Because We're Here

You CANNOT go wrong with those!

-------------
...it is real...it is Rael...

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:15
Great band!!!,

My favourites albums are:

1 - Alternative Four
2 - Eternity
3 - Judgement

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:35

I think the number 1 in your chronological list should be Serenades... you seem to have forgotten it, its a doom classic.

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 12:24
Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

However, the new album is widely touted as their best.  Having said that, most artists' latest albums are purported as being thus.  We'll have to give it six months or so to get a more balanced, critical take on the album. 

I'd say it's usually the opposite. Rarely do fans not complain about the new material. It's the hip the to do after all. Still you're correct about waiting at least half a year before getting a more realistic take. 

I was thinking more about the point of view of bands and the music press.  For example, nearly every new album by the Rolling Stones that I can remember, on release has been heralded as the great return-to-form.  Six months down the line, the same albums are regarded as pedestrian and forgettable.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: July 02 2010 at 07:25
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

I think the number 1 in your chronological list should be Serenades... you seem to have forgotten it, its a doom classic.

it;s doom that's why i didn't mention itSmilei believe their masterpiece is A4..but they change their style in every album so what can i say for this amazing band?

Posted By: Ramma
Date Posted: July 03 2010 at 05:31
Anathema are one of the best bands around in my view, I love most of their albums and play them regularly. My favorites in order would be as follows:

1. A Natural Disaster   (One of the greatest albums ever created in my view)

2. Judgement

3. A Fine Day To Exit

4. Alternative 4

5. We're Here... 

6. The Silent Enigma

7. Eternity

I could easily swap Judgement, Fine Day or Alternative depending on what mood I'm in. They're all great. 

We're Here is the one album I had been praying for the most but unfortunately found disappointing. All the metal has been zapped by this time and the writing isn't as strong as Natural Disaster.  Cry

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 03 2010 at 05:43
Essential:
1. The Silent Enigma
2. Judgement
3. We're Here Because We're Here

Great:
4. Alternative 4
5.A Fine Day To Exit
6. Serenades

Good:
7. A Natural Disaster
8. Eternity
9. The Crestfallen/Pentecost III

Worth a listen:
10. Hindsight

/edit: We're Here may go up or down 1 place over the comming months - at the moment it's my album of the year.

-------------
What?

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: July 03 2010 at 16:47
As I have stated in previous threads, my opinion is that the inspiration disappeared after Judgement. So if I were to rank I would take this order

1. Eternity (the absolute masterpiece)
2. Alternative 4
3. The Silent Enigma
4. Judgement
5. A natural disaster
6. A fine day to exit

I do not include earlier works as they are not related to prog whatsoever. I have not heard the new one but I fear it would be on the same level as their recent works

Posted By: inrainbows
Date Posted: July 03 2010 at 16:54
^^^^

I agree .

-------------

Posted By: Atomicunderware
Date Posted: July 05 2010 at 10:31
Some of their early works are related to prog, just not in an obvious way. The Silent Enigma and Pentecost III both contain sprawling epics, with various modulations of key and tempo. They might not be considered 'prog' in any classical sense, but there are relevant elements.

My pics:
Pentecost III
Alternative 4
A Natural Disaster

I also quite like what I've heard of the new one, but I don't own it as yet...

-------------
Froghead
---
Esoteric - www.bereft.co.uk
Pantheist - www.pantheist.co.uk

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: July 05 2010 at 12:40
Anathema? Undistinguished, weak and boring band! The best is their last album, We´re Here... 
Good for meditation, falling asleep, smoking.

But dangerous for listening in car!

And now let throw stones to me!Ouch

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 05 2010 at 12:43
Stern Smile You're on my list

-------------
What?

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 09:26
Judgement is a pretty good album, but A Fine Day to Exit and A Natural Disaster are only OK and I really dont like Alternative 4. I might give their early Doom Metal works a try as I've begun to get interested in that genre but generally they're not one of the bands I listen to much.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 16:53
It's a crime that these guys aren't on the Archives. A goddamn crime. One that should be punishable with jailtime in Canada.

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 17:41
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

It's a crime that these guys aren't on the Archives. A goddamn crime. One that should be punishable with jailtime in Canada.

Confused  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1038 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1038

Although they aren't prog imo. 

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 18:00
They aren't the most typically 'prog' band around, but I have no doubt that Alternative 4 and Judgement are masterpeices of atmospheric metal/rock. They are included on this site under Experimental/Post Metal because they helped to breakdown the barrier around Doom Metal with more experimental and diverse influences.

However I digress, that their latter albums don't do much for me personally.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 19:42

Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Confused  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1038 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1038

That's good.

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 19:43
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

They aren't the most typically 'prog' band around, but I have no doubt that Alternative 4 and Judgement are masterpeices of atmospheric metal/rock. They are included on this site under Experimental/Post Metal because they helped to breakdown the barrier around Doom Metal with more experimental and diverse influences. 

What they're known for is helping develop the death doom sound, yet even bigger pioneers that came before them like Paradise Lost aren't on the site. Yes, they've drastically changed their sound over the years like practically all of their peers, but it's all pretty straightforward stuff if you ask me. 

Not that being prog or not makes a lick of difference if the music is quality. 

Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 19:11
I wasn't very impressed with Judgement. Can anybody give me a recommendation on what album to get next, based on my dislike of the aforementioned album?

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2010 at 12:14

Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

What they're known for is helping develop the death doom sound, yet even bigger pioneers that came before them like Paradise Lost aren't on the site. Yes, they've drastically changed their sound over the years like practically all of their peers, but it's all pretty straightforward stuff if you ask me. 

Not that being prog or not makes a lick of difference if the music is quality. 
Anathema>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>paradise lost

Posted By: Westsiyeed
Date Posted: July 28 2010 at 22:56
Originally posted by ptkc123 ptkc123 wrote:

I wasn't very impressed with Judgement. Can anybody give me a recommendation on what album to get next, based on my dislike of the aforementioned album?

I've listened to all their albums from Alternative 4 onwards, but the only two I really like as whole albums are A Natural Disaster and We're Here Because We're Here. Pesonally I think their latest WHBWH is fantastic and one of my picks for 2010. It's a lot mellower then previous efforts, but the songwriting has improved and the vocals are also better. They've now made the female vocalist (who's mainly backing vocals) a permanent member of the band, which gives an indication of their musical direction going forward too.

If there was a thread "Which bands have changed most in musical style", Anathema would have to be one of them.

Date Posted: July 28 2010 at 23:18
^ Oh thanks!  I've been waiting patiently for someone to answer my question LOL.

I have heard really great things about WHBWH, and I'm definitely going to get it sometime soon.  Plus, Steven Wilson produced the album, so it's kind of a given.  He said it was one of the best albums he's ever worked on.  Thanks again for your input. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: July 28 2010 at 23:21
Originally posted by Westsiyeed Westsiyeed wrote:

I've listened to all their albums from Alternative 4 onwards, but the only two I really like as whole albums are A Natural Disaster and We're Here Because We're Here. Pesonally I think their latest WHBWH is fantastic and one of my picks for 2010. It's a lot mellower then previous efforts, but the songwriting has improved and the vocals are also better. They've now made the female vocalist (who's mainly backing vocals) a permanent member of the band, which gives an indication of their musical direction going forward too.

If there was a thread "Which bands have changed most in musical style", Anathema would have to be one of them.

That's a good idea for a thread; you should start it up.

-------------

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: July 28 2010 at 23:23
Anathema is in my top bands.

For 'songs...' Probably Judgement or We're Here for me.

HOWEVER, for overall flow and feel, I would have to pick A Natural Disaster. it doesnt have as high points as the other two mentioned albums, but it is without a doubt the most consistent and personal album they have.

Date Posted: July 28 2010 at 23:32
I only have Judgement, but I've been reading a lot of things about the band as of recently (like I said above) and I really would like to discover some more of their output; they seem very promising.

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2010 at 00:10

Plus, Steven Wilson produced the album, so it's kind of a given. 
Nope, he only mixed the album. 

Date Posted: July 29 2010 at 09:27

Plus, Steven Wilson produced the album, so it's kind of a given. 
Nope, he only mixed the album. 

Oh yeah, got those two confused. Confused Thanks.

-------------

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: July 29 2010 at 15:38
Listening to We're Here Because We're Here right now.  Only my second time through and definitely much different then earlier stuff.

I like it a lot though.  Got the CD/DVD version with the 5.1 mix.  Sounds great.

Posted By: Antennas
Date Posted: August 05 2010 at 17:07
This thread deserves a BUMP. So here it is.

All of Anathema's albums, from 'The Silent Enigma' to their current work, are great.
Wonderful, lovely, emotional band. And even better x100000 LIVE.

Their latest is a true masterpiece.

-------------

Jesus never managed to figure out the theremin either

Posted By: lensag
Date Posted: August 05 2010 at 17:20
Best album for me is still Alternative 4! Meant so much in times and still does..
But Judgement has an absolute masterpiece - one last goodbye..

Anathema has been in my top 3 bands ever, and i´m pretty sure they´ll be there long time in the future...

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: March 08 2012 at 15:30
Excellent band, should also mention their last album Falling Deeper, which is superb. They have a new album coming out soon too Weather Systems, from what I've heard its going to be great too...

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: March 10 2012 at 03:46
We're Here...

That album is a masterpiece. I love it. 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: March 10 2012 at 05:04
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Judgement is a pretty good album, but A Fine Day to Exit and A Natural Disaster are only OK and I really dont like Alternative 4. I might give their early Doom Metal works a try as I've begun to get interested in that genre but generally they're not one of the bands I listen to much.

... and so I have done.

The Silent Enigma is by far their best album and highly recommended to any fans of atmospheric metal.

Pentercost III and Serenades are pretty good as well.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk