Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68942
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 22:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Edgar Froese or Klaus Schulze?
Posted By: Anthony H.
Subject: Edgar Froese or Klaus Schulze?
Date Posted: July 05 2010 at 23:34
These two are both pioneers of electronic music. Which one do you like the best? Tangerine Dream counts under Froese, while Schilze is more well-known for his solo career.

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 03:37
I postpone my vote. There is a tie now, as it should be.

-------------

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 05:24
Intresting poll !! I vote to Froese. TD after schulze released top albums and they continue their way. Froese also have some solo "Good" albums.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 07:21
both!
no vote

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: EatThatPhonebook
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 07:25
Froese for me. I'm not very familiar with Schulze, but what I've heard wasn't as good as any Tangerine Dream.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 07:26
You are evil.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 09:37
Schulze easily, he was on Ash Ra Tempel's s/t as well as being an excellent Prog Electronic artist. 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 09:51
I love both, and Froese's Epsilon in Malaysian Pale ranks amongst my favourite albums.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 09:56
I just got Froese's "Aqua" and I have always loved the early Tangerine Dream albums. Schulze is great, but Froese gets my vote.

-------------

Posted By: Xanthous
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 12:23
I voted for Froese because his work with Tangerine Dream has changed my life.

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 13:01

Schulze

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 13:04
Froese for me. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 15:48
Froese although he should be caned for bringing his son into the bandWink

Posted By: Thandrus
Date Posted: July 13 2010 at 10:10
Althought :I love both musicians, I voted for KS - his career is more consistent and almost uniformly great, whereas EF has released lot of not very challenging music in later decades.

Posted By: Alberto Muņoz
Date Posted: July 13 2010 at 10:58
KS, definitely, ED and TG had mellowed a bit in the 80's and 90's

-------------

Posted By: feri561
Date Posted: July 13 2010 at 15:58

I go for Schulze.

He could do himself and could invent his own style alone. Big artist, and musician. Look at the highlight albums like Moondawn (1976),  X (1978),  In Blue (1995) or his Opera - Totentag (1994), and nowadays the duo with Lisa Gerrard (2008).

Franke is also a founder of the Tangerine Dream style but he was rare alone, but with his collaborators in the Dream. The Best TD albums are from 1973 - 1985.

-------------
feri

Posted By: Pharaut
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 14:46
Hard to say: I like Froese very much: His contribution to TD's sound and mood is inestimable. Still, TD's recent music lacks the same vitality or surreal quality that made the band such a wonder back in the day. Like feri, I like the Pink Years: Zeit, Atem, Hyperborea, Tangram and other albums really pushed the boundaries. As far as Froese's solo work, I am quite enamored by his Stuntman, an album that showed listeners what a truly gifted musician and visionary he is.

On the other hand, Klaus Schulze's contributions cannot be dismissed. His solo works are quite fascinating and it it enthralling to hear what one man can conjure up. His Timewind, Dig It, Audentity, and Trancefer are all compelling pieces of great intricacy and deft song-craft. My particular favorite is Trancefer, a 74:41-long album that features 4 rather long tracks that allow the listener to sit back and enjoy the music at its own pace.

Who is better? Again, a hard question to answer. Sentimentally, I will go with EF. Tangerine Dream was a break through group for me when I first started listening to the group in 1981. Yet, I also relish KS, who was introduced to me in 1982. His music, unlike EF's (IMO) still has that familiar biting, edginess. Who knows, maybe if EF can lose the sax and choruses, and get back to his roots he can emerge as victor...? Until that time, my ears remain wide open and ready for anything!

-------------
When the going gets weird, I get interested....

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 05:59

Froese has a couple of great solo albums but they are no match against Schulze.

Of course, if granting Froese the Tangerine Dream output as well then it's gotta be Froese, even though he was only one third of their sound (Franke did the sequences remember!)

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 06:27
I Love both but voted Froese  because Epsilon in Malaysian Pale   

-------------

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 08:42
by miles shulze !!

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 09:34
Froese made one really exceptional album ("Epsilon in Malaysian Pale",) a very good one ("Aqua"); the rest is only so-so, in my opinion. Schulze made a lot more albums, and not all of them are of the same quality, but some are simply fantastic ("Mirage", "Picture Music"). "Mirage" is the exact opposite of "Epsilon in Malaysian Pale", by the way; the latter makes you want to strip of your clothes and use a fan for cooling, though it is not much use in the middle of the jungle, while the former makes you you want to wrap yourself in warm blankets.

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk