Print Page | Close Window

Someone make me like Kayo Dot

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70099
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 16:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Someone make me like Kayo Dot
Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Subject: Someone make me like Kayo Dot
Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 21:54

I don't know. Their music just seems sort of aimless and boring to me. I don't mind Choirs of the Eye too much, but even that one seems like its largely filler sometimes. What is it that draws so many fans to them? And why is it that I see nothing in their music? Toby Driver's oddness has always interested me and it makes me want to like their music, but I just can't find any true greatness...

Replies:
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 21:56
Let me guess, you don't listen to a lot of post-rock or krautrock

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 21:57
If you don't like it, you don't like it.  I don't think it's amazing, but I do enjoy parts of Coyote (haven't heard their earlier albums yet).  You could always come back to them after a while and try their music again, but no one can "make" you like a band. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 22:01
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I like Krautrock, and I'm still getting acquainted with post rock although I don't mind what I hear for the most part.

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 22:04
Kayo Dot definitely is not music for everyone, but I find them to be brilliant.. Do you like Maudlin of the Well?

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 22:08
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Kayo Dot definitely is not music for everyone, but I find them to be brilliant.. Do you like Maudlin of the Well?
I haven't heard much. What I did hear I didn't like at first, but it's grown on me. I need to hear a bit more.

Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 22:09
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

I haven't heard much. What I did hear I didn't like at first, but it's grown on me. I need to hear a bit more.

Which album did you listen to? Because the first three are quite different than Part the Second.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 23:12

Which album did you listen to? Because the first three are quite different than Part the Second.

Part the Second. Tongue

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 23:17
when Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue won album of the year here at PA in 2006, I eagerly got it.  That was the last Kayo Dot thing I ever bought

Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 23:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

when Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue won album of the year here at PA in 2006, I eagerly got it.  That was the last Kayo Dot thing I ever bought

That was my thoughts. I first got Choirs of the Eye. I thought: "Interesting. Not great, but maybe if I get more I'll get into them more." I then got that, the first 3 tracks weren't bad, but those 2 long ones were... Dead

Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 23:27

Part the Second. Tongue

PtS is a masterpiece, but you might want to go ahead and give Leaving Your Body Map a try. It's very different and much more metal; it's extremely different from Kayo Dot.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 23:31

Part the Second. Tongue

PtS is a masterpiece, but you might want to go ahead and give Leaving Your Body Map a try. It's very different and much more metal; it's extremely different from Kayo Dot.

Thanks! I'll try it out.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 06:13
This kind of thread always lead me to write : "YOU WILL LOVE X BAND OR ELSE YOU WILL GET THE LASH!!! WORSHIP THEM OR DIIIIIIIE!!!"

No one can make you like Kayo Dot and I won't/can't. Each piece I heard from KD always sounded aimless to me. It seems to me (but, once again, I haven't listened to the whole discographies of KD and Maudlin) that Toby Driver is addicted to the crescendo/decrescendo formula.

@Triceratopsoil: I hardly see the connexion between KD and the "kraut-rock" scene, since the 70's German experimental bands appear to me to be split between the "hypnotic/repetitive" bands (Neu!, Can...) and the "evolutive" bands (Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze - which are able to create long complex pieces) - not to talk about Amon Düül II and some free jazz-like stuff.

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 06:40
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

This kind of thread always lead me to write : "YOU WILL LOVE X BAND OR ELSE YOU WILL GET THE LASH!!! WORSHIP THEM OR DIIIIIIIE!!!"

No one can make you like Kayo Dot and I won't/can't. Each piece I heard from KD always sounded aimless to me. It seems to me (but, once again, I haven't listened to the whole discographies of KD and Maudlin) that Toby Driver is addicted to the crescendo/decrescendo formula.

@Triceratopsoil: I hardly see the connexion between KD and the "kraut-rock" scene, since the 70's German experimental bands appear to me to be split between the "hypnotic/repetitive" bands (Neu!, Can...) and the "evolutive" bands (Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze - which are able to create long complex pieces) - not to talk about Amon Düül II and some free jazz-like stuff.

As CPicard says, "no one can make you like a band or a certain type of music." That's the beauty of music and our individuality. We each hear music differently. What one person enjoys another may not, but it doesn't matter. I've tried many bands based on comments and recommendations from PA, some I've loved, some I haven't. The key was it was nice to hear about a band I was unfamiliar with and gave me something new to try, and that's the key-keep trying new music.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 06:47
You know, the fact that people here are praising an album left, right and centre does not mean there's something wrong with you if you don't like it. I tried for years to get into Dream Theater, to no avail - now I proudly admit to not getting them at all, even to people who worship them. We are all entitled to liking what we want, and no one should make us feel inferior because of that - no matter how many elitist snobs of every persuasion will try to put down your tastes (just ask those who like Neo-ProgWink).

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:01
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

You know, the fact that people here are praising an album left, right and centre does not mean there's something wrong with you if you don't like it. I tried for years to get into Dream Theater, to no avail - now I proudly admit to not getting them at all, even to people who worship them. We are all entitled to liking what we want, and no one should make us feel inferior because of that - no matter how many elitist snobs of every persuasion will try to put down your tastes (just ask those who like Neo-ProgWink).

VERY well said Raff

Even as a massive Kayo Dot fan... Err, fanboy, I can completely get why people can't get into them.

I absolutely hated Choirs Of The Eye when I first heard it - thought it was unmusical, boring and monotonous. After a while it grew, and now they're my favourite band ever. I'm not saying it'll happen to you, but for me they were the hardest musical expedition to get into, and easily the most rewarding.

If you like them, you'll like them, and if you don't, you won't. Simple as that I say. I find DAWCT to be their least strong, but still a 5* album easily IMO. I find Caravan's In The Land Of Grey And Pink to be boring, but it doesn't mean I should force myself to like it - quite the contrary rather. It'd be unnatural for you to like everything.

I'd have to agree with checking out Bath and LYBM, although it's near impossible to find them now a days. They're essentially avant-prog metal, with some of the heaviest and most beautiful music ever IMO.

Also, Kayo Dot's two other albums (Blue Lambency Downward and Coyote) have very little connection (musically) to their first two, as far as style goes. To begin with, they're not metal at all - BLD is avant-jazz and Coyote is pure avant.

You can stream BLD here: http://www.bluelambencydownward.com/ - http://www.bluelambencydownward.com/
And Coyote here: http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2010/04/20/test-pressing-an-exclusive-stream-of-kayo-dots-coyote-lp/ - http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2010/04/20/test-pressing-an-exclusive-stream-of-kayo-dots-coyote-lp/

If you're interested

-------------

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:09
Kayo Dot is either nightmare or idol. You can hate them or adore them. Nothing between it.

(I´m in the first group.)

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:13
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Kayo Dot is either nightmare or idol. You can hate them or adore them. Nothing between it.

I'm between it.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:19
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

I'm between it.
OK, there is the third group yet, I forgot. Snow Dog&Co.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 16:11
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I dont like either post rock or krautrock but I'm a huge KD fanboy.

A tolerance/liking for dissonance and liking of long, drawn out but non repetative build ups is a must for KD I've found, but it certainly wont be for everyone because of its jarring aspects.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 16:21
I like Blue Lambency Downward considerably, but would not expect others to like it (first clip I found to share from youtube)

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 16:24
Can't really make you like anything... Could hold you at gunpoint and make you say you like it but that wouldn't be heartfelt.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 20:19
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Just the fact that he said it doesn't seem to go anywhere

Made me think of Popol Vuh

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 21:14
The electrodes are on their way.

Not all who wander are lost.

I don't even know this music, but I'm pretty sure that your only choices are to get into them or someone else.  Give up on music altogether and listen to pop. LOL

Someone make me like... or make ... interesting for me.  I'm guessing you're probably not lazy but could you people please make more interesting thread titles!!!!AngryLOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 17:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Someone make me like... or make ... interesting for me.  I'm guessing you're probably not lazy but could you people please make more interesting thread titles!!!!AngryLOL

No. Never.

Posted By: The Monodrone
Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 18:11

No. Never.

Don't give in DT-PT LOL.

I haven't really loved Kayo Dot until lately... I re-listened to Choirs and Blue Lambency Downward and they're pretty awesome for me now, personally.  It has literally taken me about 15 listens each to really appreciate them... first, I didn't like them one bit and didn't at all see what the big fuss was; a few listens later I sort of started liking them but then stopped.  A few more listens and I started to get it, and now I really like them (I currently only have Choirs and BLD).  I think that after a lot of listens and memorization of the music, you'll start to like it a little bit, then a little more, than a little more, etc.

Or: you just may never like it Confused... It's just dependent on your tastes and brain function.

...Now I want to listen to KD. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Lars
Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 19:01
What appeals to me about Kayo Dot is their ability to create strong, unconventional melodies combined with the highly experimental approach to instrumentation, songwriting and harmonization.

Some of the so-called "noodly" bits of "Dowsing..." contain some of the most beautiful sounds captured on disc in my opinion, but even I need to be in a special mood to actually enjoy the Khanate-inspired second part of "___ On Limpid Form"

To "get" the weirder parts of Kayo Dot, I think it helps to have at least some acquaintance with "non-traditionally harmonic" modern and contemporary classical music, especially for smaller ensembles, to get a tolerance for bitonality and atonality. You should also brush up on some ambient, and (non-noisy) free-improvised jazz.

For me, the various influences and elements combine to a whole that is easily the most satisfying music I have come across yet.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 19:11

No. Never.

Good answer. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 20 2010 at 04:47
Try some sleep deprivation spiced up with a never ending hardcore cocktail of Boney M, the Grease soundtrack and the wonderful "Fernando" by ABBA set to repeat. After that you will probably adore just about anything resembling a minute difference in your daily sonic adventures.

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: October 20 2010 at 12:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Try some sleep deprivation spiced up with a never ending hardcore cocktail of Boney M, the Grease soundtrack and the wonderful "Fernando" by ABBA set to repeat. After that you will probably adore just about anything resembling a minute difference in your daily sonic adventures.

All at the same time?Pinch

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 20 2010 at 13:10
Just look into Slarti's avatar eyes.....not only is that krapp creepy but it will make you like anything.....alakazamm!! Poof you now like Kayo Dot.!

Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 20 2010 at 15:48
Originally posted by Starhammer Starhammer wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

All at the same time?Pinch

That would probably do the trick tooBig smile

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:44
I like Coyote and find it a prog album in more or less the same sense I would associate with the 70s, which I am not usually able to say about modern prog. But I am not exactly crazy about it and it doesn't make the best case to explore them further for me. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk