URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70118
Printed Date: September 01 2014 at 09:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Symphonic Prog Poll #9 Renaissance
Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Subject: Symphonic Prog Poll #9 Renaissance
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 06:09
Symphonic Prog album poll continues with album.asp?id=3018 - Renaissance
Choose best studio album from these legends!

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 06:32
Haven't heard them all but Ashes is the best of the ones I have.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/chopper777/?chartstyle=basicrt10" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 06:45
Difficult choice. I think their best is the Live at Carnegie Hall, but it's live...
I vote for Novella. Can you hear me call, The Captive Heart, is an album full of good songs with a nice sleeve.
Probably their last good album before the 80s

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 06:53
Definitely the debut album with the ex-Yardbirds.

Illusion and Prologue complete my top 3

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:19
Scheherazade and Other Stories

Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 09:54
Lots of Scheherezade fans! I am with Ashes are Burning though - flawless Annie Haslam vocals on that

-------------

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 11:19
Ashes Are Burning!

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 16:03
Turn of the Cards.

-------------

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 19:11
Scheherazade and Other Stories Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Ian Stuart
Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 00:13
Mother Russia is the tune which introduced me to Renaissance - and I don't think they've done anything to top it (though many to equal it!) so ... I'll go with Turn Of The Cards.
[Hard to pass up Scheherazade though ...]

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 03:48
Scheherazade and Other Stories

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 08:50
Between Novella and Scheherazade.  Becomes a question of which I mind less between the not so alluring title track of Scheherazade and the boring middle section of Can You Hear Me.  I will pick the latter because it only lasts a few minutes and because Novella also has my favourite Renaissance song, Touching Once!  But I really like the version on the Royal Albert Hall live album more than the studio version.

Posted By: omri
Date Posted: August 12 2010 at 11:44
I have everything from debut to Camera camera and nothing else. I find myself with the majority here with Turn of the cards as a close second.

-------------
omri

Posted By: Norman Kiddie
Date Posted: August 13 2010 at 13:52
SmileSuch a one sided pole does get me to thinking that there are people clicking on the most popular and possibly not that well up on Renaissance, There is no way that Scherenade is so much better than the other classic Renaissance albums. Turn Of The Cards is a wonderful album and most definately the album I would advise people to buy if they woukd want to discover this wonderful band.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 13 2010 at 14:24
The only album I've heard after 'Song for all seasons' is 'The other woman' so I'll not vote.

Ashes are Burning is my favourite, closely followed by Scheherazade and Prologue.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: August 13 2010 at 21:38
Originally posted by Blacksword

The only album I've heard after 'Song for all seasons' is 'The other woman' so I'll not vote.

I highly doubt they would pip your vote the other way. Tongue  Some people consider Azure D'Or the best Ren album but other than that even those who like Camera Camera or Tuscany wouldn't call it their best.  

Originally posted by Norman Kiddie

There is no way that Scherenade is so much better than the other classic Renaissance albums.

But maybe just good enough to be the best one in a lot of people's books.  Personally, as a prog fan I do like some amount of compositional intrigue so I am slightly partial these days to Novella.  My favourite used to be Cards for a long time.  I wouldn't recommend Novella as a starter album though, but it's probably Renaissance at their best.  

Date Posted: August 14 2010 at 05:12
I think Ashes is underrated as is Turn of the Cards but I can understand pple going for the most popular

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2010 at 05:16
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush

I think Ashes is underrated as is Turn of the Cards but I can understand pple going for the most popular

I think Novella is the most underrated. Wink  Much the same way as you and Norman Kiddie have argued for Cards, the gap between Scheherazade and Novella is not that much.   It just needs more perseverance than other Renaissance albums, as I too found out after initially writing it off. Dead   I also disagree with you and think Annie's best singing for Renaissance was on Novella.  Moments of Ashes...are flat, the lack of diversity in styles in that album doesn't help either.  On Novella, she gets to do a lot more, MIdas Man, Captive Heart, Touching Once...the singing style on each one is so different and yet very consistent.  

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 17:29
Shame that Prologue hadn't received any vot. Chose it just for honour this great album. It's my dearest one thugh I belive that Turn of the Cards is the most representative of waht is Renaissance.

-------------
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 02:52
Scheherezade wins this I believe - any more votes before closure?

-------------

Date Posted: December 10 2010 at 04:48
Scheherezade is killing it!

-------------

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: December 10 2010 at 06:16
Ashes are Burning. 

Posted By: Pawn Heart
Date Posted: December 30 2010 at 17:18
Scheherazade and Ashes the best, Turn is ok. But Prologue, IMHO, is really underrated.

-------------
"If a man is not willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he is no good"

Date Posted: September 15 2011 at 09:09
Poll closed - I believe Sheher won it on popularity alone/

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwiz.co.uk