Print Page | Close Window

The Doors - The Soft Parade

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 15:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Doors - The Soft Parade
Posted By: WatcherOfTheSkies88
Subject: The Doors - The Soft Parade
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 16:18
IMO, the song "The Soft Parade" by the Doors has to be their most progressive song, and it is quite awesome as well! It has several different sections and none of the sections get repeated later. There are some pretty funny vocals by Jim Morrison as well. I especially enjoy his "YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!". Anyway, this song gets better and better each time I hear it. What do you guys think of this song? Do you think it's their most progressive song? I don't consider "The End" and "When the Music's Over" to be as progressive as TSP because, while those songs are pretty long, they seem more like jams at certain points. 

Replies:
Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 16:25
I agree that it's one of their most Progressive songs, I really like it.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 17:04
Another concurrence from me.  Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 17:30
What about "The Celebration of the Lizard" ??  

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 17:40
I'd also add Spanish Caravan and The Crystal Ship to the list.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 00:46
i put this song in the same category as Steppenwolf's Monster released the same year. For the Door's right up there with Not toTouch the Earth, The End and When the Music is Over. 

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 07:55
The Soft Parade is indeed their proggiest song (and among my top 3, WASP/Texas Radio and LA Woman are the other two), but it's really too bad it's on a generally weak album (superb inner gatefold artwork, though.)

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 08:02
I love The Soft Parade (the album and the song). Both are criminally underrated IMO... it's probably my favorite album by The Doors.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:36
Graet topic. I like the album and the song, yeah it is one of their most progressive.

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 12:46
I like the song, but hate the album.  What an example of a band selling out.

The Doors (not counting post-Morrisson) have six studio albums, I'd put the other four at at least four stars, I wouldn't give The Soft Parade Two.

But yes, the SONG the Soft Parade is good.

I'd say Strange Days is definitely their most progressive album overall, with Morrison Hotel and the S/T being my favorites.  LA Woman closely behind.

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 22:15
The Soft Parade doesn't rank up too high on my list of favorite Doors albums, though Runnin' Blue ain't too bad.  If ya look at the number of Krieger songs on the album, 5/9, that may say a bit about the state o' mind the band was in at the time.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: August 20 2010 at 16:44
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I love The Soft Parade (the album and the song). Both are criminally underrated IMO... it's probably my favorite album by The Doors.

If I may, I think that this is the most overproduced of The Doors albums. A totally different direction for them. It is the most radio friendly of The Doors albums. It is a stark departure from their first three albums and what was to follow. Don't get me wrong I love the album but what turned me onto The Doors is not present on this album with the exception of the title track. I kinda wish that they would have put The Celebration of the Lizard on side one of this album.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 25 2010 at 19:12
Hi,

All in all, i nmy book, just about all of the Doors material fits into "prog" ... a lot better than most metal and prog stuff listed here in this board!

I always thought that the long cuts they did were ... poems ... not songs, and had a lot less to do with music than they did with the poet on his lectern!

There are some things the Doors did as well, that you and I can sit here and think ... sounds like album filler to me ... then you hear it again, and the lyrics and the strength and conviction they are delivered with ... beats you to a pulp! And I can tell you that two-thirds of the "progressive" and "prog" listed in this board does not even come close to doing that! Some of them even pretend to have very with it lyrics ... Jim Morrison did not have to resort to that ... a poet rarely does!

Why not progressive? Because they don't sound like Genesis or ELP? ... guess what ... they were around before Genesis, and pretty much the same time as ELP ... thought The Doors were already legendary in the states way before ELP became so. And by the time that ELP had to do leather pants and balls, Jim was already gone and not interested in the star thing ... while his death and drugs is not on my list of wonderful achievements, the honesty and lyricism far out weights ELP and Genesis and so many other bands.

The Doors didn't have to be hip! ... or pretend! ... or impress you with a chord that made it progressive!

There is a side of "progressive" that is scary for me.

For the most part, there is no clear history and concise quantization of the work that grew with the time and place ... it's like it was magic and there it is in one place ... and the fact is that many bands, specially in California were also doing it, at the same time that others were doing it in Europe as well as London ... and our ability to exemplify, strengthen and define "progressive" loses its power ... when so much of it was inspired by the likes of Jim, Janis, and others that came from a different place and time ... but in America "progressive" means you do blues and jazz better than anyone else ... until later! And that leaves a massive amount of work, bands and people completely un-discussed ...

Historically, I would love to see the world of "progressive" start ... way back ... and I mean around the early 60's even ... and be big enough to list some things ... that really busted out the whole thing ... and really ... The Doors definitly fit in my book! ... But then I would also add Chicago 1 and 2 ... but it appears that folks here think that horns are not prog because they are not metal enough? Or Symphonic enough? Or Neo enough? Or you can go back to Jefferson Airplane as well, if not Paul Kantner's experimental solo albums ... they do fit as progressive, but will not get the credit for it, because a Garcia played guitar in a couple fo moments, and other goons sang in there that fit ... progressive folk at the time (Crosby Stills and Nash) ... and ... it just goes on and on!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 25 2010 at 19:30
Originally posted by WatcherOfTheSkies88 WatcherOfTheSkies88 wrote:

....  don't consider "The End" and "When the Music's Over" to be as progressive as TSP because, while those songs are pretty long, they seem more like jams at certain points. 

See ... that's an issue ... almost ALL music has its start in a jam ... and some takes off on the lyrics and the visual content that it offers, and others go to the conventional music formats.

Why, why, why ... can not an experiment, or a jam, define a piece of music? ... might as well call krautrock a bunch of crap, because many of them started with jams, and in the case of a couple of bands, they even admit they were so ripped it didn't matter what came out ... to the point that one person even said ... we were all so stoned and looking at each other I had to do something!

Music is music!

When the music is over, turn out the lights ... will be the end of progressive music since you are not allowing music to "live"! ... that's the part I don't ever want to miss, and the part that makes it for me ... without that special feeling ... there is no music ... and it doesn't matter if it is a jam or a staff ... but please do not determine that one is right and the other is wrong ... you will kill music in one swell foop!

Most people ... do not EVER ... know or understand or feel an artist ... it's why they are fans, you know?

But don't ever try ... to kill the music inside ... for I have a feeling inside ... INSIDE ... and you are basically telling me it is not a true feeling because the music is a jam? I would think that Ray, Robbie and John would not appreciate you a whole lot right now!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: August 25 2010 at 19:34
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

If I may, I think that this is the most overproduced of The Doors albums. A totally different direction for them. It is the most radio friendly of The Doors albums. It is a stark departure from their first three albums and what was to follow. Don't get me wrong I love the album but what turned me onto The Doors is not present on this album with the exception of the title track. I kinda wish that they would have put The Celebration of the Lizard on side one of this album.

This is actually one of the few cases where I prefer a more radio-friendly format. LOL

Even so, the more accessible songs are great and memorable, and of course we have a few prog moments as well. That's enough to make me happy.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: Lozlan
Date Posted: August 18 2012 at 18:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

....  don't consider "The End" and "When the Music's Over" to be as progressive as TSP because, while those songs are pretty long, they seem more like jams at certain points. 

See ... that's an issue ... almost ALL music has its start in a jam ... and some takes off on the lyrics and the visual content that it offers, and others go to the conventional music formats.

Why, why, why ... can not an experiment, or a jam, define a piece of music? ... might as well call krautrock a bunch of crap, because many of them started with jams, and in the case of a couple of bands, they even admit they were so ripped it didn't matter what came out ... to the point that one person even said ... we were all so stoned and looking at each other I had to do something!

Music is music!

When the music is over, turn out the lights ... will be the end of progressive music since you are not allowing music to "live"! ... that's the part I don't ever want to miss, and the part that makes it for me ... without that special feeling ... there is no music ... and it doesn't matter if it is a jam or a staff ... but please do not determine that one is right and the other is wrong ... you will kill music in one swell foop!

Most people ... do not EVER ... know or understand or feel an artist ... it's why they are fans, you know?

But don't ever try ... to kill the music inside ... for I have a feeling inside ... INSIDE ... and you are basically telling me it is not a true feeling because the music is a jam? I would think that Ray, Robbie and John would not appreciate you a whole lot right now!

This ramble was such a delight that I had to come out of progarchives retirement, if only for a moment. Codification of something is not the same as understanding or even loving it. There is a fair amount of musical vivisection on this site, and little artistic sympathy. The Doors had utter soul. The Soft Parade is an awesome album...from my point of view. I encourage everyone to listen to it sans any moldering prejudices.

-------------
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

http://scottjcouturier.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: August 18 2012 at 22:43
Superb song, though the album suffers from some fairly unpleasant songs (and I'm not referring to Touch Me there).
Love the vocal overdubs, that's effective stuff

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - JazzMusicArchives.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: August 18 2012 at 23:39
It's the best song on an otherwise bad album. But progressive I think it is not. It's just a few different sections put together. Nothing else. 

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 00:10
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

This ramble was such a delight that I had to come out of progarchives retirement, if only for a moment. Codification of something is not the same as understanding or even loving it. There is a fair amount of musical vivisection on this site, and little artistic sympathy. The Doors had utter soul. The Soft Parade is an awesome album...from my point of view. I encourage everyone to listen to it sans any moldering prejudices.

I have heard some arguments to the effect that Larks Tongue in Aspic is inferior to ITCOTCK ONLY because it is improvised and not composed (apparently, according to said commenters....now Bruford has a different take on that).  I don't really understand this line of argument.  Just because something is not structured, doesn't mean it has no compositional element in it whatsoever and if it evidences a mathematical/logical pattern (like LTIA), it most probably is composed at least as much as it is improvised.  Not accepting improvisation as a compositional framework is what is not progressive.

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 07:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Music is music!

I agree and especially with your points about Krautrock and jamming in general. I might add that there have been many cases with superb writers who write a particular unique chord sequence for a song and command the band to simply play that sequence over and over..like a jam, until a signature line comes to mind. In otherwords, let's see what happens. In many cases . jamming is mixing the brew and preparing the formula for an outcome of some kind. Another case may be John Lennon asking the band to jam over 3 chords he wrote and waiting for George Harrison to play that certain appealing group of notes, stopping the jam and saying..."I think I'll sing the notes George has just played" "Okay, back to the song"   In rock and progressive pen and paper does not always enter into the picture. Many Classically trained musicians in prog insisted on forming pieces , coming up with signature riffs, directly from jamming with their own band. Tony Banks for one. Tony Banks could read the music written by Univers Zero or Art Zoyd, but prefers himself to create structure with Collins and Rutherford by jamming. Not the kind of jamming that Brand X did..but the kind where musicians listen for a formula to naturally develop, listen back to the tapes, break up those fine bits and pieces and in the end creating a song with lyrics. Nothing is exacting . No method has been laid down by an old man up in the puffy clouds and blue sky to form or compose music in the way that a majority of people in society (it seems to me), take it to be. As you said..music is music!

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 07:13
^^^^ I also remember Wetton saying prog rock back in the 70s originated often from a drummer expounding on a theme.  He didn't use the word jam but the intent is the same.  Improvising to crystallize ideas is a favoured method used by so many musicians.   

Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 07:42
Robbie Kreiger used a strange and different distortion sound from other guitarists in the 60's. His sound reminding me of Fripp on Poseidon and Lizard. He also (at times), played the tri=tone or Devil's interval during jams. Compare it yourself if you don't believe me. Play one of Fripp's improvised leads on a live recording of the "Sailor's Tale" and then bend an ear to the solo Kreiger does on the studio version of "When the Music Over". I also thought the chord progression and atmosphere created in "L' America" was very European early 70's prog. Atomic Rooster, Lucifer's Friend, Omega type mode. It's simply a haunting song and quite different somehow for the Doors. Of course the American Psychedelic bands were etiher influential on European "Space Rock" or influenced by it themselves. Sections of Jefferson Airplane's Crown Of Creation taking us to the planet Gong or Saucerful of Secrets. Jimi Hendrix a year or so prior to his death, hanging out with Hawkwind at the Isle Of Wight or jamming with progger Bo Hansson. Bo Hansson writng "Tax Free" for Hendrix. Hendrix watching a performance of King Crimson at the Marquee. It is not all loosely tied ..but directly tied in as a connection. Psychedelic musician writers were interested in the development of European prog because some of them had actually created aspects to it in 68'.

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 08:28
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Robbie Kreiger used a strange and different distortion sound from other guitarists in the 60's.
Almost every book about the Doors tells that Robby studied flamenco and then used this approach for playing electric guitar.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 15:14
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Robbie Kreiger used a strange and different distortion sound from other guitarists in the 60's.
Almost every book about the Doors tells that Robby studied flamenco and then used this approach for playing electric guitar.

This could mean for example the intro to "Love Me Two Times" is possibly played with the fingernails of his right hand? and to be honest...I don't personally know if he played electric guitar finger style in all cases, but my reference is mainly of him using the same tri-tones as Fripp and the same distortion ..sustaining effect on various leads. He used a distortion which was either through the amp itself or what was known then as the "Big Muff" or maybe even a better pedal. He plays a haunting electric guitar lead with a hall or reverb effect on most albums. Usually a song that rocks out and has a dark sound. Definitely not the sound he used on songs like "People Are Strange" and "You're Lost Little Girl" where obviously the guitar is being played with a clean tone.

Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 15:26
I don't have my history exact..but I do recall something about Jim Morrison turning up to the studio and the band members along with production people were raving about the music of the Doors being placed in a T.V. commercial for cars or something of that nature. Jim Morrison thought it was a disgrace to the image and identity of the Doors....which was his reaction immediately. For years...classic rock songs from the 60's have been used for T.V. commercials. Obviously a vast amount of people who know nothing about the 60's identify a 60's song with a T.V. commercial and buy the cd or download it. This is exactly the method of business that Jim Morrison was against and became angered over it. People often use a 60's song to attract more attention to the product they are selling. In point...I must agree with Morrison and say that it is a disgrace to music that was once taken seriously.

Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 18:02

This could mean for example the intro to "Love Me Two Times" is possibly played with the fingernails of his right hand? and to be honest...I don't personally know if he played electric guitar finger style in all cases, but my reference is mainly of him using the same tri-tones as Fripp and the same distortion ..sustaining effect on various leads. He used a distortion which was either through the amp itself or what was known then as the "Big Muff" or maybe even a better pedal. He plays a haunting electric guitar lead with a hall or reverb effect on most albums. Usually a song that rocks out and has a dark sound. Definitely not the sound he used on songs like "People Are Strange" and "You're Lost Little Girl" where obviously the guitar is being played with a clean tone.
From what I've read I know that in the Doors glory days Robby always played with the fingernails of his right hand. In later interviews (if memory serves me it was on "Classic Albums: The Doors" DVD: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=35826" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=35826 ) he said that later he learned to play with a plectrum as well and now he uses plectrum even more often than fingernails.

I attended MANZAREK-KRIEGER OF THE DOORS concert in June and tried to look how Robby plays. Set list consisted of the Doors' classics, only short instrumental "Russian Caravan" was taken from Robby's solo album "Singularity". He played with fingernails most of the time, using plectrum from time to time.

I don't know whether the Doors in the late 60s were familiar with Fripp's music. If they were it was never mentioned in the books I've read about the Doors (memoirs of Densmore, Manzarek and others). Probably Krieger and Fripp came to the same idea independently.   

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 21:33

From what I've read I know that in the Doors glory days Robby always played with the fingernails of his right hand. In later interviews (if memory serves me it was on "Classic Albums: The Doors" DVD: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=35826" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=35826 ) he said that later he learned to play with a plectrum as well and now he uses plectrum even more often than fingernails.

I attended MANZAREK-KRIEGER OF THE DOORS concert in June and tried to look how Robby plays. Set list consisted of the Doors' classics, only short instrumental "Russian Caravan" was taken from Robby's solo album "Singularity". He played with fingernails most of the time, using plectrum from time to time.

I don't know whether the Doors in the late 60s were familiar with Fripp's music. If they were it was never mentioned in the books I've read about the Doors (memoirs of Densmore, Manzarek and others). Probably Krieger and Fripp came to the same idea independently.   

I agree. Thanks for confirming Krieger's picking styles. Fripp used distortion on one track only from "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles, and Fripp" in 1968..and I doubt if many American artists heard the album. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I feel I must doubt it because of it's obscure nature as opposed to being an English Pop record. It was the last track from the record where Fripp played for the first time..a sustaining dark type of solo which had that Krieger sound used on "When the Music's Over". As you said they came to the same idea independently. It seems too far-fetched to consider otherwise in the silly event of who got there first. Although I have been amazed by the expression of 60's music which sometimes filters through early 70's prog.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 22:51
This is the best part of the trip...the trip...the best part...I really like.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: August 19 2012 at 23:43

I don't have my history exact..but I do recall something about Jim Morrison turning up to the studio and the band members along with production people were raving about the music of the Doors being placed in a T.V. commercial for cars or something of that nature. Jim Morrison thought it was a disgrace to the image and identity of the Doors....which was his reaction immediately. For years...classic rock songs from the 60's have been used for T.V. commercials. Obviously a vast amount of people who know nothing about the 60's identify a 60's song with a T.V. commercial and buy the cd or download it. This is exactly the method of business that Jim Morrison was against and became angered over it. People often use a 60's song to attract more attention to the product they are selling. In point...I must agree with Morrison and say that it is a disgrace to music that was once taken seriously.

Ironically, it was this method that got me to purchase Between the Buttons by the Rolling Stones and Pink Moon by Nick Drake, as well as put The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society by the Kinks on my wishlist. Kind of sad that it's the only way people can know about this kind of music these days.

Back on topic, I like "The Soft Parade", but I think the TV performance of the piece was a tad more energetic that the version that made it on the studio version. As for the album itself, it's probably the weakest in the band's catalog, but it's not the disaster many make it out to be, thanks to the title track, "Tell All The People", "Touch Me", "Easy Ride",  "Wild Child" and "Wishful Sinful"

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: August 22 2012 at 14:48
Jim Morrison's attitudes were definitely not working and playing well with society in the 60's. He complained about audiences showing up to a Doors concert just to hear "Light My Fire" and "Touch Me". He would scream in to the microphone..."What the F are you doing here?"  "Why are you here?" "Did you come to see the Doors to hear Light My Fire?" lol!  I loved that energy he displayed. I never looked upon him as being a hippie. He just didn't fit the part as far as I was concerned...although others may disagree. When I think about the difference between him and other lead vocalists in the 60's ..I often arrive to that conclusion. He was always surrounded by cops. The police didn't seem to understand half of what he had to say. I don't believe for a minute they knew where he was coming from. They would grab him and escort him off the stage and even handcuff him at times. It was very overblown and they had very stupied hands. He was ahead of his time regarding the way he controlled a rock audience. He was the ultimate frontman in rock. He would dance like a Native American across the stage , loosely swinging the mic...and some have made the observation that this dance was the first signs of the "Punk Rock" mentality. It's interesting to observe that because Morrison had ties with the "Velvet Underground" who really came across like Punk. I still love his lyrics and his vocal style. My favorite song is "Moonlight Drive". The very start of the song is simplistic in nature , but has this haunting affect on me. That keyboard has a strange sound that isn't identified with anything else. The slide guitar is very haunting. The choice of notes and phrasing are not fitting to typical sounds found in 60's music. They were obviously influenced by funk, Latin, and Classical..but embraced it with uniqueness that I could never identify. Sort of the way that Syd Barrett created some of the strangest songs like "See Emily Play" where his influences were hidden just enough to throw off the listener. They were crafty. 

Date Posted: August 23 2012 at 14:38

They were obviously influenced by funk, Latin, and Classical..but embraced it with uniqueness that I could never identify.
And don't forget jazz. Ray Manzarek recalled that when he first met John Densmore they told each other that they love jazz, but both are not good enough to be proper jazz keyboardist and drummer (respectively) Smile. But they felt that it's possible to incorporate elements of any kind of music into rock and make something original. We all know they succeeded.

-------------

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: August 30 2012 at 09:01
The Soft Parade is too artificially structured to be natural, but has some fine moments nevertheless, particularly the bluesy phase. A lot of the other more melodic stuff is downright corny and pretentious. It is at least trying to be experimental, but it could have done with a lot of serious editing and hard self-criticism before its release.

When the Music's Over has some weak lyrics, and limited melody, but it is pure drama, just about the finest rock-drama ever produced in pop music's history.

Date Posted: October 13 2012 at 17:14

..but directly tied in as a connection. Psychedelic musician writers were interested in the development of European prog because some of them had actually created aspects to it in 68'.

The funny thing is that the European musicians will tell you that they wanted to come to America to do the American thing, and many American musicians were looking to Europe for something ... and in the case of many jazz musicians in the 50's they left America ... and when you see the Tom Dowd DVD, you will know why!

But there are many parallels between ... let's say ... the UFO club, and the Fillmore ... they are almost identical ... with one exception. London had a better appreciation for the arts, in ANY form, than America ever did! America media has been killing the arts for 60 years ... and it's hard for folks, even here, to see things like "Citizen Kane" ... and not realize that when you look at USA TODAY it is only giving you words on things it has an investment in! Or a program that they have money and interest in! And you fail to recognize that the "freedoms" are not there anymore ... since you end up thinking that a top ten, or an American Idol, or some Nashville this and that, are the only things that are happening in America ... when in essence, this is like 5 or 6 countries ... and NY doesn't do Nashville. NY does NY! SF doesn't do NY. SF does SF! and the arts/music scenes are all like that here ... and were like that then.

Sadly, and Dean is a proponent of this, a lot of that stuff is dead and gone, and yes, it is. But I only disagree in that there were not enough people that were more educated than a cat or a dog to give a damn about their time and place in life ... it's like it was meaningless ... and to me, folks like The Doors are a serious vindication of the sheer beauty and poetry of that time and place ... that so few people appreciated then, and even fewer appreciate it now.

Funny ... the main theme of "The Soft Parade" is just about all that !!! ... and now, ladies and gentleman, here comes the best part of the trip! All politics and ideas aside ... there is something left ... the music! I'm not sure that some folks ever realized how with it some of this stuff really was, and for me, some folks thinking it is just a song and nothing else, demeans the value of the work.

We just don't believe, trust, love or appreciate the arts anymore. Or the freedom of life! Instead of the prison of a religion!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: October 13 2012 at 17:18
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

The Soft Parade is too artificially structured to be natural, but has some fine moments nevertheless, particularly the bluesy phase. A lot of the other more melodic stuff is downright corny and pretentious. It is at least trying to be experimental, but it could have done with a lot of serious editing and hard self-criticism before its release.

When the Music's Over has some weak lyrics, and limited melody, but it is pure drama, just about the finest rock-drama ever produced in pop music's history.

In general, the majority of Jim Morrison's work is very visual and is film minded. Don't forget that you are talking about film students at UCLA, and you do not get into that school if you were not good, or talked a better game. When the Music is Over is not about the lyrics ... never was ... it's about a sound, an inner sound ... that some folks will never hear in their lives! A dream is not close enough. A vision is an idea by comparison!

When you "know", and you "see" ... so few people can not feel it or understand it, and prefer to say that it is wrong, and either the lyrics or this or that is not good enough. Heck .. they said the same thing about Jesus of Nazareth, so why are we surprised at comments like that?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 09 2012 at 01:41
The Doors are cool, seriously.
I love most of their albums, the title 'Soft Parade' track is up there amongst the best.  Truthfully, i love the 2 'post-Morrison' albums more than anything.  For me, it should've been 'Ray Manzarek and The Doors'.............

Date Posted: November 09 2012 at 14:56
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Truthfully, i love the 2 'post-Morrison' albums more than anything.
Are you kidding?

For me, it should've been 'Ray Manzarek and The Doors'.............
Why not 'Doroti Fujikawa and the Doors'? Smile 
Read Ray's memoirs, the Doors would never happen without her approval and support in the very beginning.

-------------

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: November 09 2012 at 16:47
Soft Parade is great once it comes into the 'hard' part; but the earliest part of the song devalues it, rubbish really. Still think the track is worth it for the main body of the song.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 09 2012 at 17:17

[QUOTE=Tom Ozric]For me, it should've been 'Ray Manzarek and The Doors'.............
Why not 'Doroti Fujikawa and the Doors'? Smile 
Read Ray's memoirs, the Doors would never happen without her approval and support in the very beginning.
Other Voices - what an album........

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk