Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70435
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 14:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: John Petrucci vs. John McLaughlin
Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Subject: John Petrucci vs. John McLaughlin
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 22:32
Two totally different guitarists. Which one do you like the best?

Replies:
Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 22:37
Johnny Mac! 

His style, his technique, etc...I prefer him in every way to Petrucci. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Anderson III
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 22:56
Mahavishnu (Devanagari: महाविष्णु) is an aspect of Vishnu, the Absolute which is beyond human comprehension and is beyond all attributes.

Need I say more?

-------------
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 22:58
Originally posted by Anderson III Anderson III wrote:

Mahavishnu (Devanagari: महाविष्णु) is an aspect of Vishnu, the Absolute which is beyond human comprehension and is beyond all attributes.

Need I say more?

Even discounting the Mahavishnu albums, look at his amazing work on Miles' fusion era albums and Shakti. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Anderson III
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 23:00
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Originally posted by Anderson III Anderson III wrote:

Need I say more?

Even discounting the Mahavishnu albums, look at his amazing work on Miles' fusion era albums and Shakti. 

Indeed.

-------------
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 23:30
Not a contest in the slightest bit

Posted By: DreamInSong
Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 23:48
No vote from me, I love Mahavishnu Orchestra and his work with Miles Davis, but I'm not quite familiar enough to compare

-------------

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 00:38
John McLaughlin

and is this the DT/Petrucci poll hour?

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 00:43
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

John McLaughlin

and is this the DT/Petrucci poll hour?

I'm in the mood today. Embarrassed

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 01:06

Anybody who has seen or listened Friday Night in San Francisco, wouldn't ask the question.

Mc'Laughlin is one of the few guitar players in the world who can perform side by side with Paco de Lucia and not disappoint.

Not counting his work with Mahavishnu.....

Mc'Laughlin by miles.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 01:10
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Anybody who has seen or listened Friday Night in San Francisco, wouldn't ask the question.

This

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 01:16
Johnny Mc

Posted By: The Monodrone
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 01:42
McLaughlin, by infinite miles.

-------------

Posted By: sydbarrett2010
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 01:50
i dont really know mclaughlin but  john petrucci is really good so my vote for him

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 01:55
Originally posted by sydbarrett2010 sydbarrett2010 wrote:

i dont really know mclaughlin but  john petrucci is really good so my vote for him

This is for you. Wink

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 01:56
Originally posted by sydbarrett2010 sydbarrett2010 wrote:

Probably shouldn't vote then.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 01:58
Al, John and Paco all on stage together is brilliance 

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 02:05
Pee-who chi? Confused

Nah! The brilliant and original fusion icon it is!  Cool

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Fieldofsorrow
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 02:13
I prefer John Petrucci.

-------------
Groovy teenage rock with mild prog tendencies: http://www.myspace.com/omniabsenceband

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 02:15
John McLaughlin is one of the best fusion guitarist ever. John Petrucci is skilled and not bad in technical sense, but styleless and boring to death average prog metal guitarist. Too different categories to compare.

P.S. If you want to hear pure boring Petrucci musicianship example, the best way is just listen "G3 live in Tokyo".

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 03:12
McLaughlin, though some of his guitar-parts tear my ears apart. He became better when he got older though. Patrucci has never touched me.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 03:57
Petrucci is a truly excellent technical guitarist (am I the only one who thinks that the parts of Dream Theater add up to considerably more than the total of the band itself???) but if you listen to McLaughlin with MO and then add to that his acoustic work with Paco de Lucia and Al Di Meola, I have to pick him.

Guitar playing is largely about "feel" for the instrument (making the guitar an integral part of the player), and I can't help feeling that Petrucci, Vai, Satriani, Romeo, Michael Angelo Batio and Malmstein and the like have sacrificed that in pursuit of technical excellence, speed and general showing off. I watch Petrucci, I'm impressed by his skill, but what comes out of his instrument leaves me a bit dissatisfied.

I never get that feeling with McLaughlin (or Latimer, Rothery, Powell, Josh, Gilmour, Hackett,Steve Morse and many others as well). These guys play like they and the guitar are one. Watch the Camel version of Ice on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Nathaniel607
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 05:53
First off, I love McLaughin. He's great. But I'm not sure he's a better guitarist than John Petrucci. He's probably a better musician but to me, he just doesn't have the same style or technical prowess as Petrucci.  I know a lot of people are going to be all "but McLaughin can feel the instrument! He puts his heart and soul into playing!" but I don't quite get what you people are on about.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nathaniel607" rel="nofollow - My Last FM Profile

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 10:30
IMO Petrucci plays with feel a lot. He does show off quite a bit yes, but when he plays with emotion, I absolutely love it more than with most guitarists.

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 10:31
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

John McLaughlin is one of the best fusion guitarist ever. John Petrucci is skilled and not bad in technical sense, but styleless and boring to death average prog metal guitarist. Too different categories to compare.

P.S. If you want to hear pure boring Petrucci musicianship example, the best way is just listen "G3 live in Tokyo".

I own that DVD, and I don't know what you're talking about. Confused

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 10:48
For me, when it comes to guitarists, no one (not even mr Fripp) is better than McLaughlin. I really believe him to be the most acomplished musician in his instrument.

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 10:51
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

IMO Petrucci plays with feel a lot. He does show off quite a bit yes, but when he plays with emotion, I absolutely love it more than with most guitarists.

I´m with you on this one. Although I´m not a big fan of him, I also believe he plays with emotion.

Let´s not mix not liking with discrediting someone.

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 10:57

McLaughlin, pure beauty.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 10:59

John McLaughlin is one of the best fusion guitarist ever. John Petrucci is skilled and not bad in technical sense, but styleless and boring to death average prog metal guitarist. Too different categories to compare. P.S. If you want to hear pure boring Petrucci musicianship example, the best way is just listen "G3 live in Tokyo".

Petrucci is good technically, but have no personal style, charisma or just a small signature when playing at all. He is just good guitarist (there are many of them), and when playing solo (as on concert in Tokyo I mentioned above), you can easy hear he has nothing to say. He knows how to play, but just - has nothing to say...

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:01

John McLaughlin is one of the best fusion guitarist ever. John Petrucci is skilled and not bad in technical sense, but styleless and boring to death average prog metal guitarist. Too different categories to compare. P.S. If you want to hear pure boring Petrucci musicianship example, the best way is just listen "G3 live in Tokyo".

Petrucci is good technically, but have no personal style, charisma or just a small signature when playing at all. He is just good guitarist (there are many of them), and when playing solo (as on concert in Tokyo I mentioned above), you can easy to hear he has nothing to say. He knows how to play, but just - has nothing to say...

I understand what you mean now. He's pretty much a robot when he's on stage, yes.

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:18
No vote. They're both masters of their respective styles. I want to vote for Petrucci because he's actually quite an eclectic player and could probably play anything McLaughlin has ever done without breaking a sweat. But McLaughlin was a pioneer of some of the most amazing and innovative music of all time, and his indelible impact on music is undeniable. So, I don't think it's fair to vote either way in this poll.

-------------

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:19
Sorry but I don´t know Petrucci.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:23

Petrucci is good technically, but have no personal style, charisma or just a small signature when playing at all. He is just good guitarist (there are many of them), and when playing solo (as on concert in Tokyo I mentioned above), you can easy hear he has nothing to say. He knows how to play, but just - has nothing to say...

No and again no. Snobb you have been saying this kind of stuff all the time. Petrucci doesn't play like an average prog metal guitarrist, because if you ask any prog metal fan, the 99% will tell you that he plays better than any other prog metal fan. It's so evident why he is not average, and I'm not talking about speed or technique. Just hear solos like Lines in the Sand, Hollow Years, Spirit Carries On, Scarred or Surrounded, he very diverse and gives a lot of different emotions.

I don't know what you expect from music but I've reading your posts and you always said that "the musicians are plain and boring". Don't get why you said that, Glasgow Kiss it's an amazing song, fresh and with a lot of emotion (it's on that G3 DVD), maybe are not emotions that you like but Petrucci soloing is very stimulating musically.

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:25
Petrucci is not, in absolutely any way, "average."

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:31
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

I don't like Petrucci nor DT (shred guitar in general is not my thing), but I won't discredit him: he's definitely a very good guitar player.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:34
This is a bit unfair, I mean comparing the two is such a contrast.
I like Petrucci (not the greatest) and I think he has skill but such a different style from McLaughlin.

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:40
Originally posted by ptkc123 ptkc123 wrote:

I don't like Petrucci nor DT (shred guitar in general is not my thing), but I won't discredit him: he's definitely a very good guitar player.

It's not really my thing, either. But it's extraordinarily unfair to call Petrucci a "shred guitarist." Listen to "Lines in the Sand", or "Under a Glass Moon"; actually, the only times where I would say he does "shred guitar" is on the Train of Thought album.

-------------

Posted By: Fieldofsorrow
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:48
^ Shred has a dirty name, but I always thought it simply meant playing very quickly. There are all sorts of connotations about lack of taste and soul and so forth, but I don't think that they're an intrinsic part of the term.  

-------------
Groovy teenage rock with mild prog tendencies: http://www.myspace.com/omniabsenceband

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:52
I say Petrucci has a lot of extraodinary solos that aren't just 4738219 nps.

A Change Of Seasons
Goodnight Kiss
Lines In The Sand
The Spirit Carries On
Through Her Eyes

Just to name a few of the good ones. Also, Hollow Years Live At Budokan is just phenomonal...

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 12:02

A Change Of Seasons
Goodnight Kiss
Lines In The Sand
The Spirit Carries On
Through Her Eyes

Just to name a few of the good ones. Also, Hollow Years Live At Budokan is just phenomonal...

Yeah, the extended Hollow Years is amazing. They played it when I saw them about a month ago.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 12:07

A Change Of Seasons
Goodnight Kiss
Lines In The Sand
The Spirit Carries On
Through Her Eyes

Yeah, the extended Hollow Years is amazing. They played it when I saw them about a month ago.

I'm jealous... My favourite live performance of all time. That beginning latin-ish guitar solo is amazing too. I also love how much less poppy it sounds.

Posted By: GY!BE
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 12:21
I'll choose petrucci because he plays with so much emotion!!!!!!Tongue

-------------
It is all a dream, a dream in death...

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 13:24

A Change Of Seasons
Goodnight Kiss
Lines In The Sand
The Spirit Carries On
Through Her Eyes

I would like add the melodic solos from Overture 1928, Surrounded and Learning to Live...

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 13:30
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

A Change Of Seasons
Goodnight Kiss
Lines In The Sand
The Spirit Carries On
Through Her Eyes

I would like add the melodic solos from Overture 1928, Surrounded and Learning to Live...
Yeah, he really has a lot of great melodic ones.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 14:22
The John that played in MO and with DiMeola and DeLucia.

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 15:17
the one who isn't in Dream Theater.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 15:50
No contest for me.

Petrucci is one more of the various shredders, though he's quite good at it and has some really fine moments that I doubt any other shredder would think of(not do) like the solo on 'Lines in the Sand'.

Mahavishnu, on the other hand, has a completely unique style and was one of the first distinguishable fusion guitarists. And if I don't take in account his Mahavishnu work, his acoustic stuff with Shakti is sublime.

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 18:58

Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

A Change Of Seasons
Goodnight Kiss
Lines In The Sand
The Spirit Carries On
Through Her Eyes

Yeah, he really has a lot of great melodic ones.

Amen to all you guys. Petrucci is a fantastic shredder, but too many people forget the fantastic melodic solos he does as well. As much as you anti-metalheads want to argue it, Petrucci is f**ckin' awesome!

McLaughlin is great too, but Mahavishnu's music hasn't grabbed me nearly as much as my other recent fusion discoveries.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 19:37
They are both fantastic. They really are in my eyes. I vote for Petrucci.

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 20:27
Petrucci is an amazing guitarist and definitely more than just  a shredder but then I would say that about Marty or Guthrie too.  There are very few guitarists in jazz rock/fusion, on the other hand, who could be put on level footing with McLaughlin musically.  McLaughlin by several country miles.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 20:31

Petrucci is good technically, but have no personal style, charisma or just a small signature when playing at all. He is just good guitarist (there are many of them), and when playing solo (as on concert in Tokyo I mentioned above), you can easy to hear he has nothing to say. He knows how to play, but just - has nothing to say...

I understand what you mean now. He's pretty much a robot when he's on stage, yes.

That's not what he's saying, I presume.  He is saying Petrucci's style does not have much individuality.  He has some valid points.  It does become hard to distinguish many of these technically accomplished metal guitarists, whereas I don't need to hear more than a couple of licks generally to tell when it's Hackett/Latimer/McLaughlin.  

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: August 18 2010 at 21:05
Frederick Thordendal Tongue

-------------

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: August 19 2010 at 13:18
They can both play really fast...but John McLaughlin actually has a concept of tonality and feel....I'll choose him.

In my opinion Petrucci is a horrible musician.  His playing is physically impressive in a "holy **** people's hands can move that fast" kind of way, but he has no...I repeat NO feel.  AT ALL! He plays fast only for the sake of playing fast.  His music is so incredibly generic, and provides nothing more than a background for him to endlessly shred over.  He is my least favorite thing about music.  It's not the difference in style that bothers me, its the lack of style and the showiness.  

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: August 19 2010 at 19:42
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

He plays fast only for the sake of playing fast.  

He would claim otherwise, but I see no evidence to the contrary

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: August 19 2010 at 20:06
John Mc Laughlin:feeling,plays fast(Mahavishnu Orchestra was great:The lost Trident sessions are smoking!)and I really enjoy his work with Shakti,very spiritual and moving.But I have a great respect for John Petrucci since he plays very well for a very skilled and talented band,he also has great respect for Giants of Progressive Rock such as Yes,Genesis or Kansas.I also dig Liquid Tension Experiment.

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Date Posted: August 20 2010 at 20:11
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

In my opinion Petrucci is a horrible musician.  His playing is physically impressive in a "holy **** people's hands can move that fast" kind of way, but he has no...I repeat NO feel.  AT ALL! He plays fast only for the sake of playing fast.  His music is so incredibly generic, and provides nothing more than a background for him to endlessly shred over.  He is my least favorite thing about music.  It's not the difference in style that bothers me, its the lack of style and the showiness.  

Couldn't disagree more.

Posted By: silcir
Date Posted: August 21 2010 at 04:11
John Mclauhghlin without any hesitation. 

Posted By: jimidom
Date Posted: August 23 2010 at 15:42
Personally, I love Petrucci's playing, but McLaughlin is in a different league. 

-------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Posted By: deafmoon
Date Posted: August 23 2010 at 16:39
John Petrucci? ...this guy can't shine McLaughlin's boots. That's like asking dis Bozo The Clown play the kazoo better than Miles Davis played trumpet.? C'mon.

-------------
Deafmoon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk