Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70702
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 10:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Tori Amos Poll
Posted By: Finnforest
Subject: The Tori Amos Poll
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:14
Obvious question.  Which one do you Heart the most? 

NOTE: This is NOT the place to debate Tori's inclusion at ProgArchives.  If you wish to do that, open your own thread in the appropriate place.  Thanks.  Smile

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:20
Great. I have heard "only" four albums. Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, To Venus and Back and Scarlet's Walk.

All enjoyable, maybe Under the Pink a little boring. I go with the first one, there's a special energy there so, that... first vote.

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:23
I only know two of them, and I pick the one with Cornflake Girl. Heart

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:33
She doesn't belong in Progarchives!!!!!Angry

Clown

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:35
As I said yesterday, Stefro raised the bar quite high. Gotta do better than that Snowie Wink

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:36
I should add:

Don't feel you have to have heard every single album to vote.  Probably not very many here have, so what's the point of restricting it to a few.  It's for fun.  Wink

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:38
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

As I said yesterday, Stefro raised the bar quite high. Gotta do better than that Snowie Wink
I can't compete with that brilliant performance.LOL

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:45
I've got all but one of Tori's studio albums, like almost everything she's done, especially her first two albums. Voted for her first because of Winter, my favorite Tori song ever. And, in my mind, if you listen to her arrangements, she's every bit as progressive as Kate Bush or Happy Rhodes. If you like the melancholy side of these singers, check out an unknown gal named Hannah Fury. My daughter turned me on to her music. It's good.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:50
I have them all, I like them all, and I don't think I can vote.  LOL

I'm going the abby something album.  It has Mary Jane. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 18:35
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

I've got all but one of Tori's studio albums, like almost everything she's done, especially her first two albums. Voted for her first because of Winter, my favorite Tori song ever. And, in my mind, if you listen to her arrangements, she's every bit as progressive as Kate Bush or Happy Rhodes. If you like the melancholy side of these singers, check out an unknown gal named Hannah Fury. My daughter turned me on to her music. It's good.

Interesting stuff, thanks!
http://www.myspace.com/hannahfury - http://www.myspace.com/hannahfury

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 18:41
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

NOTE: This is NOT the place to debate Tori's inclusion at ProgArchives.  If you wish to do that, open your own thread in the appropriate place.  Thanks.  Smile

I did that, but it was locked for reasons that remain somewhat murky to me.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 19:14
I'm pretty torn between Pele and Choirgirl, my two favorites.  My fave depends on the day and mood.  Great albums.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 19:20
Well, I've just about added in everything I have in my collection (that hasn't been added yet).  All that's left is Tales Of A Librarian CD w/ DVD
and three VHS that are out of print.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 19:51
Slart, I think I have 2 vhs and a live dvd somewhere...but I don't know exactly where...Cry

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 20:47
I've got a video version of Little Earthquakes, a videos compilation, and a Live in New York concert all on VHS.  I copied them onto DVD.  No telling what shape the tapes are in by now.  They've been well taken care of but they are tapes and not all VHS tapes were made good quality.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 20:52
I think those are the exact 3 I have too BrianLOL.  Haven't watched em in ages though. 

I saw her itinerary for LE and she played First Ave on that tour.  God I can't believe I missed that.  You could literally have walked right up and stood next to her piano. 

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 02:43
I have Little Earthquakes in my collection and I have heard Under the Pink. Little Earthquakes is great (and,  if I may say so, a good reason for Tori's inclusion in PA), but I was not charmed by its successor.

-------------

Posted By: lensag
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 03:32
Great to see Tori Amos on the PollClap

I have them all!!!

My vote went for Little Earthquakes, but that position changes very often with Boys for Pele (the first cd i heard of her!). They are really wonderfull (and depressingConfused)!

Altough i respect her so so much, i admit there is an album that is a "cutting-point" - the beekeeper: i just can´t listen to any of their last albums "american doll  posse, abnormally attracted to sin or this weird midwinter graces"...............Cry

i gave them a try but they are all so long and her singing and songwriting and even the lyrics have become different........

-------------
"when routine bites hard and ambitions are low,
and resentment rides high but emotions won´t grow
And we´re changing our ways, taking different roads..
Then love, love will tear us apart again.."

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 03:46
many wonderful songs, perhaps too many albums .. fans should look into Forgotten Earthquakes: B Sides and Rarities  http://www.last.fm/music/Tori+Amos/Forgotten+Earthquakes:+B-Sides+and+Rarities - http://www.last.fm/music/Tori+Amos/Forgotten+Earthquakes:+B-Sides+and+Rarities

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 04:01
I'm very happy to see her on PA, thanks to all concerned for her inclusion.

She's my very favourite artist bar none, the one I can always listen to, even when the prospect of anything else seems uninteresting.

I find all her albums to have a very high standard, although Strange Little Girls are covers, and it does show a bit.

I hestiate to name a favourite, but with a gun to my head I do tend to lean slightly towardsAmerican Doll Posse. A 5 1/2 star album.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 04:25
Like the majority, Little Earthquakes is my fave, probably because it's the first one I discovered.Heart

Like Lensag says though.... I really have a difficult time listening to an entire more recent album of hers, because she is fairly one-dimensional in her songwriting techniques.....

I saw her Florida DVD last year and was struck at how her songs are way too similar to each other, and the succession of them actually bored me.... outside waiting for the odd track I was looking forward to (guess what??? most of them from her first two or three albums)

Someone should send her some lessons on how to dress correctly, or buy her some good tastes, though.... she's probably the worst-dressed woman in showbizz. PigClown

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 04:31
Where is the "none of the above" option? LOL

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: lensag
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 04:42
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Like the majority, Little Earthquakes is my fave, probably because it's the first one I discovered.Heart

Like Lensag says though.... I really have a difficult time listening to an entire more recent album of hers, because she is fairly one-dimensional in her songwriting techniques.....

I saw her Florida DVD last year and was struck at how her songs are way too similar to each other, and the succession of them actually bored me.... outside waiting for the odd track I was looking forward to (guess what most of them from her first two orthree albums)

Someone should send her some lessons on how to dress correctly, or buy her some good tastes, though.... she's probably the worst-dressed woman in showbizz.
i felt the same way.. it´s really hard nowadays for me to identify any of her latest albums songs and her singing seems to have lost some peculiarity (i don´t know if this is a word in english.....).

i think people love little eartquakes so much because it is very deep, intimate, honest, personal record. people can relate to the lyrics and the songs seem all so natural, they flow into each other..and of course the piano...

What i respect in Tori Amos (like few other artists) is that she writes all the songs and lyrics and plays the piano and she´s a really good stage performer..

-------------
"when routine bites hard and ambitions are low,
and resentment rides high but emotions won´t grow
And we´re changing our ways, taking different roads..
Then love, love will tear us apart again.."

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 05:03
The live album on To Venus and Back, really dark goth feel to itSmile
Hey Jim, what's with the freaky dog man?

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 08:41
My vote goes to the album with the most 'rock' in it: American Doll Posse

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 12:06
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

It's called "scroll on by"Wink

-------------

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 12:19
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

In the "go away to another thread" button in the high left... Stern Smile

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: Johnnytuba
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 15:22
I have heard her music many times and enjoy a lot of it.  My favorite thing she does is the duet with Maynard James Keenan called Muhammad my Friend.  Here is the link below, check it out if you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P_33BbQlBg

-------------
"The things that we're concealing, will never let us grow.
Time will do its healing, you've got to let it go.

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 15:54
Where is Y Kant Tori Read, her very first album, on which Vinnie Colaiuta is featured on drums. Very nice AOR CD, with one prog song on it. 

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Date Posted: August 27 2010 at 17:11
I've heard of it but haven't heard it.  Didn't know Vinnie was on that one.  Cool.

-------------

Posted By: ElectricWanderer
Date Posted: August 29 2010 at 05:40
Actually a really hard pick for me as I like nearly all the albums while none of them are something I often play from start to end. (I feel her material is often a bit uneven)

Went with From the Choirgirl Hotel as I think I like the atmosphere of that one the best. And it only has a couple of forgettable moments.

Scarlet's Walk and Boys for Pele would propably be the next two. The debut is good as well but I'm surprised it's overpowering the poll by that much atm.

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: August 29 2010 at 05:43
Little Earthquakes; Winter is easily one of the best songs I've ever heard.

-------------

Posted By: omri
Date Posted: August 29 2010 at 09:40
I have Little earthquakes, Under the pink, Boys for Pele, From the choirgirl hotel, Scarlete's walk and Beekeeper. Voted for Boys for Pele which is a bit better than the others IMO. And no, it is not the first I've heared.

-------------
omri

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: August 30 2010 at 02:31

From the first 5 it's "From the Choirgirl Hotel"
Out of the last 5 albums I only have "Scarlet's Walk"

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: August 30 2010 at 05:40
I first saw Tori in 1998 (at one of the few gigs which wasn't bootlegged) then several more times in 2001.

My vote goes to Choirgirl, but Y Kant Tori Read should be in the poll too

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: August 30 2010 at 06:09
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I first saw Tori in 1998 (at one of the few gigs which wasn't bootlegged) then several more times in 2001.

My vote goes to Choirgirl, but Y Kant Tori Read should be in the poll too

You're right.  I should have included the first band.  That band should also be mentioned in our bio, I don't think it is. 

Glad to see Choirgirl getting some votes.  Great album.

-------------

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 14:35
HeartChoirgirl hotel  Thumbs Up

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 15:59
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Clown

Agreed!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 17:04
AngryAngryEvil SmileShe realy deserves to be here!Tongue

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 17:35
Boys for Pele for me, though I find some of the songs within a little inessential, it's still my pick for Tori. Some great stuff on that one. Love the big sound on the drums in 'Caught a Lite Sneeze' among other fine moments

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - JazzMusicArchives.

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 18:38
Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Clown

Agreed!

Too bad!!!  Suck on it!!!!Headbanger
An yeah, I was one of five unanimous votes on the team for her inclusion. Cool

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 19:01
//obs trolling allert//   Toto for prog archives 
http://www.free-emoticons.co.uk/emoticons/Angel/pray.gif

-------------

Date Posted: July 19 2011 at 11:52
Oh! you want a world war LOL

Date Posted: July 19 2011 at 17:50
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

//obs trolling allert//   Toto for prog archives 
http://www.free-emoticons.co.uk/emoticons/Angel/pray.gif

OK, but only for the Dune soundtrack. Wink

-------------

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 03:14
Boys for Pele (for very personal reasons)

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 03:57
earthquakes

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk