Print Page | Close Window

The Beatles poll!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70962
Printed Date: May 15 2024 at 02:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Beatles poll!
Posted By: Gandalff
Subject: The Beatles poll!
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 10:51

I´m sorry for exception of  two  former  Beatles members Stuart Sutcliffe and Pete Best, but their significance is concededly very marginal. 

Let´s talk about The Magnificent Four! 

Who´s your favourite (or most symphathetic, most influential, most significant, whatever you want)  Beatle?

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 10:57
Macca.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Calavera
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 11:19
Harrison.

Posted By: JonteJH
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 11:28
Hari Georgeson

-------------

http://www.lastfm.se/user/JonteJH
http://soundcloud.com/jontejh

Posted By: Progist
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 11:59
Lennon is the major player for me Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 12:07
My guitar gently weeps

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 12:15
Ringo on the strength of Octopus's Garden

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 12:24

Easiest poll ever. George all the way.

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 12:58
George. His guitar playing and song writing often gets lost in the old Lennon/McCartney debates, but both were absolutely essential to what the Beatles did.

Posted By: unclemeat69
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 15:12
George Harrison

-------------
Follow your bliss

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 15:44
Most influential: Paul McCartney
Most significant: John Lennon
Most symphathetic: George Harrison
Favourite: George Harrison, and therefore he gets my vote.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 15:45
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Ringo on the strength of Octopus's Garden
LOL

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 16:06
Sympathy vote for the first one to go who was cut down.  I was a big fan of Wings' Band On The Run, though.  George was really good at bringing stuff to the party that complemented L & M.  And of course The Beatles wouldn't have been The Beatles without Starr.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: June
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 16:22
Awww... I love that George is winning Heart

Posted By: Progatron
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 19:22
I absolutely LOVE The Beatles, all eras, all albums, all members.

But my mouse pointer couldn't have sped quicker to "Paul McCartney". He's always been my favourite. There are too many reasons to list here, and I've already had this argument a million times. I love Lennon and Harrison too. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is probably my favourite Beatles track if I HAD to choose. But McCartney is my guy. Always has been, always will be.

-------------
Genesis/Yes/Rush/Marillion/VDGG&PH/The Flower Kings/Zappa/Änglagård/Wobbler/PFM/Banco/Le Orme/Jethro Tull/Spock's Beard/Transatlantic/Ayreon/Beardfish/IQ/Dream Theater/Opeth/P.Tree/Arena/Camel/Kaipa!

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 21:35
I go with Paul

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 22:37
Definitely Lennon. He was a master at writing great, minor key melodies.

-------------

Posted By: Follix
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 23:07
Lennon for me, his lyrics were better and his song were less commercial.

But for me Paul was by far the best instrumentalist of the band his bass work is way more important than George Guitar works.

If I was to rank them on 100 overall, I would Put Lennon and Macca: 99, George: 85 and the poor Ringo: 55

Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 23:11
Originally posted by June June wrote:

Awww... I love that George is winning Heart

Awww... I love that I'm not the only one who voted for Ringo Rawks

Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 23:16

Brian Epstein and George Martin were more important for the band than Ringo. LOL

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: September 03 2010 at 23:30
George Harrison, the most underrated composer of the band.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Anderson III
Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 00:56
John Lennon was clearly the best singer, instrumentalist, songwriter and lyricist in the band IMHO. On top of that, he was the coolest dude, most influential and easily my favorite of the four.

-------------
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 01:09

f**k you guys

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 01:09
Only 2 for Ringo? Angry
Well make it 3!

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 01:10

Not sure why, but Ringo was a cool guy. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 01:11
Plus I have a friend who looks exactly the same as him LOL

Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 04:16
That´s a pity there are too few girls (and women generally) here, I hope Ringo would has more votes...

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: MonsterMagnet
Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 09:50
I find that it's George who composed the best songs in and outside the Beatles.
But the nicest is certainly Paul LOL and the most influential would rather be John, at last it seems to me.

Posted By: Chela
Date Posted: September 05 2010 at 20:10
Aw, I'll vote for Ringo Starr

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 05 2010 at 22:10
My favourite song from them is While my Guitar Gentley Weeps, and close to second would be Here Comes the Sun... but I don't know if that would be enough to make me vote for him, Lennon/McCartney wrote so many more songs. As far as I understand, most of the more important songs were actually written by McCartney (but it's difficult to tell given that their songs were always credited to the pair). As far as solo songs go, I've heard much more from Lennon, but it seems to me his solo discography would be my favourite (even if it's totally non-prog).
By the way, has anyone read about the "theory" that McCartney was actually killed before they released Abbey Road in a car accident, and was replaced by a double and kept quiet up until now...

Date Posted: October 16 2010 at 10:09
John surely.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: JakoCba
Date Posted: October 16 2010 at 12:59
Paul, He plays bass, guitar, piano and composed music for ocrchestras. ahhh and He sings very well

-------------
I don't have lastfm sorry :)

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 16 2010 at 14:14
Pete Best should have been in the poll because apparently...LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Philip
Date Posted: October 16 2010 at 14:31
Lennon/McCartney

Posted By: Matthew T
Date Posted: October 16 2010 at 14:57
John Lennon for me

-------------
Matt

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 04:02
George

Posted By: EatThatPhonebook
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 10:06
John Lennon and George Harrison are the two real Beatles. I never really liked the other two. Anyway, I voted for Lennon, as he needs more support. 

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 17:10
Paul is best as a Beatle and a post Beatle he was successful remember Wings and his solo career - both were successful despite the hate mail here.

I am a fan of Wings so dont knock it!

-------------

Posted By: Mr.GizaRainbow
Date Posted: March 26 2011 at 21:43
John Lennon!!!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place"

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 26 2011 at 22:25
I think I'll have to go with Lennon, although George Harrison would be my Dark Horse.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 26 2011 at 22:29
Voted for Lennon (though he's delighted and horrified me in equal measure)

No disrespect to Harrison, but I'm astonished he's running away with this poll Shocked Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2011 at 23:01
Paul McCartney is the best musician of them all, easily enough but John music appeals me more; I think A Day in the Life and In my Life are two best beatles songs.

George was pretty good too but I don't see him as a genius like Lennon and McCartney were, same quality but didnt do 20% of what they did in quantity.

Ringo is pretty much a joke: Being generous an ok drummer, a bad composer and a bad singer.

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: March 27 2011 at 01:13
Has to be Macca. Best singer, most consistent composer and a bloomin' great bassist!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: Gandalfino
Date Posted: March 27 2011 at 05:04
John Lennon!

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: March 27 2011 at 09:17
give my vote to paul because he's often overshadowed by lennon and it's stupid , he realy wrote great songs , i must admit i'm realy keen on harrison stuff too

Date Posted: March 27 2011 at 09:20
LOL
Originally posted by Anderson III Anderson III wrote:

John Lennon was clearly the best singer, instrumentalist, songwriter and lyricist in the band IMHO. On top of that, he was the coolest dude, most influential and easily my favorite of the four.
 lennon best intrumentalist in the band ?LOL LOL  Ermm

Date Posted: March 27 2011 at 09:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Pete Best should have been in the poll because apparently...LOL
   and yoko !! LOL

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: March 27 2011 at 19:26
Lennon.

But Harrison and Macca are awesome too. I could pick one of them depending on the day.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: March 27 2011 at 19:48
Ringo Starr

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: March 28 2011 at 01:07
I am the bass man, whoooooo I am the walrus... Googoogajoob !LOL

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: March 28 2011 at 14:50
Musically its Lennon

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: YesBrittain94
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 10:01
George,
So glad he is leading he was never truly appreciated whilst he was in the beatles

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 10:18

Harrison

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 10:34
If I sit down and compare it all, it goes sumthin' like dis:

John Lennon
-
Paul McCartney
George Harrison
-
Ringo Starr
-
-
-
Yoko Ono
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Pete Best

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 11:19
probably John for his music, but never liked the man much...oooh controversialWink

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 11:22

Paul is my favourite Beatle. He was the better musician and the better songwriter in my opinion, although when Lennon had his moments, they were really, really good moments. John's lyrics with Paul's music and singing; that would be perfect for me, but it didn't work like that of course.

Although many people are sympathetic towards George, I would say that had he written as many songs as Lennon/McCartney, we would have seen his weaknesses more, and not been so "Oh, he was so underrated and ignored", which hasn't been true since the mid-sixties. He was good, but The Beatles just happened to contain two geniuses.

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 12:20
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Paul is my favourite Beatle. He was the better musician and the better songwriter in my opinion, although when Lennon had his moments, they were really, really good moments. John's lyrics with Paul's music and singing; that would be perfect for me, but it didn't work like that of course.

Although many people are sympathetic towards George, I would say that had he written as many songs as Lennon/McCartney, we would have seen his weaknesses more, and not been so "Oh, he was so underrated and ignored", which hasn't been true since the mid-sixties. He was good, but The Beatles just happened to contain two geniuses.

Agreed with much of this. I think Paul just gets a bit more flak than he really deserves because of his solo career and because of his image, right or wrong, of being sissy and pop-y. 

Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 16:30
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Agreed with much of this. I think Paul just gets a bit more flak than he really deserves because of his solo career and because of his image, right or wrong, of being sissy and pop-y. 

Which doesn't bother me even if it were true. Additionally, I think people resent his success somewhat. I mean, the term 'success' is almost synonymous with Paul McCartney, when it comes to music. The other Beatles have faired worse (relatively), and there is a slight compulsion in people to favour 'troubled', or 'unfortunate' people over people who haven't really had any problems, or haven't been shot. Why? I don't really know. I judge the music alone..... not because I'm perfect, but just because I'm a musician probably, and not particularly interested in people as people, if you get what I mean. As someone who likes to be alone more than anything, I don't really connect with any rock stars based on their personality.

-------------

Posted By: progistoomainstream
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 18:16
Why are very few people voting for Ringo? he is by far the best. Look at all the songs he has writen: Yellow Submarine, Boys, Act Naturally. How can you not like him?

-------------

Posted By: progvortex
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 18:37
Ring Starr. I guess I'm in the minority? Haven't you heard Tomorrow Never Knows? The drum groove is so tight on that song, but that's not really why it's great; tight grooves go back to the Cenezoic Era. Momentum is the word. Listen to how the groove pushes to the end of every phrase.

Ringo is also one of those drummers who gets a really unique timbre out of the skins and hoops. I'm sure we could credit the bleached shirt, Snickers-munching artless b*****ds known as studio engineers for most of that, though-- sorry, someone I know.

-------------
Life is like a beanstalk... isn't it?

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 19:21
Lennon, though I dont really like choosing, it was just a great band.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 20:03

Which doesn't bother me even if it were true. Additionally, I think people resent his success somewhat. I mean, the term 'success' is almost synonymous with Paul McCartney, when it comes to music. The other Beatles have faired worse (relatively), and there is a slight compulsion in people to favour 'troubled', or 'unfortunate' people over people who haven't really had any problems, or haven't been shot. Why? I don't really know. I judge the music alone..... not because I'm perfect, but just because I'm a musician probably, and not particularly interested in people as people, if you get what I mean. As someone who likes to be alone more than anything, I don't really connect with any rock stars based on their personality.

I sort of agree. I mean, it does interest me to read of their personal struggles to get to where they did. But yeah, if I am asked who the better musician of a few people is, I will talk about the better musician and not about who is the 'underdog', who 'deserves my sympathy' or who is more 'charismatic'.  I understand that people connect to charismatic frontmen and I do too but it doesn't get in the way for me.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 05:36
My fave has always been JohnHeart

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 08:21
Always been a McCartney fan, even though many of my favorite individual Beatle songs were written by John (e.g Walrus, Strawberry Fields).  Paul was more consistently great, and his solo career (incl Wings) was miles better than any other Beatle, IMO.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 07:41
gimme Paul

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 07:30
Incredible...this poll is still active after more than 1 year.... 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 09:31

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Incredible in any case that people are still talking about The Beatles as the biggest band in the world nearly half a century after their period of producing music.

I love to ask the question: When will a group come along and overtake The Beatles in terms of "massive-ness"???

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 09:34
and after they have produced albums for less than 10 years...

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 09:51

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Incredible in any case that people are still talking about The Beatles as the biggest band in the world nearly half a century after their period of producing music.

I love to ask the question: When will a group come along and overtake The Beatles in terms of "massive-ness"???

Did you miss The Spice Girls?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 09:54
Q: When will a group come along and overtake The Beatles in terms of "massive-ness"???

A: When another movement like the 60's flower-power will come to change people's way of thinking worldwide and if a band will be ready with a "new music" representative of it.

-------------

Posted By: Alitare
Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 11:21
^Id est, not for a couple hundred years. :P

Posted By: MattGuitat
Date Posted: December 12 2011 at 21:00
Surprised Harrison is leading by that much. LOL 

I have to go McCartney. If there were ever a musical genius, it was him. Lennon never appreciated that he was working with one of the most natural talents of his, or anytime. I'm tempted to vote Lennon because he reminds me much more of myself, but McCartney pushed it and kept it going as it did. He was the leader when the others argued. He was determined and demanding, but with a smile on his face, because he knew that they could make some of the greatest music ever.

Plus, I prefer his solo career over that of the others.

Date Posted: December 13 2011 at 01:11

George

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 13:12
Since Yoko is not an option I'll go with John. I dug his mindset.

George still has the best solo album (ATMP), Paul had a more consistant level of quality output post Beatles (with Ram being a highpoint) and Ringo is the sort of funny cool guy you want to hang with, but John had such presence, emotion and attitude in his work that I can't deny that he's my favorite.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 16 2011 at 15:41
I've always been a McCartney guy.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk