Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71063
Printed Date: May 14 2024 at 17:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best Soccer Player Ever
Posted By: Morningrise
Subject: Best Soccer Player Ever
Date Posted: September 06 2010 at 21:12
Pick your favorite from the list or mention another.

P.S.: I'm aware that it's not right to compare players from different times, but don't start whining about it. It's just for fun.

Replies:
Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: September 06 2010 at 21:35

I don't care for soccer, but anyone that hangs out with Phil Lynott and gets a Wedding Present album named after him has to be pretty awesome. George Best it is!

Posted By: Adams Bolero
Date Posted: September 06 2010 at 22:37
The Everton legend Dixie Dean

-------------
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 04:11
Pele, Maradona's reputation is too tarnished now and not just for the Hand of God.

What, no Ashley Cole or Wayne Rooney?

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:01
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Pick your favorite from the list or mention another.

P.S.: I'm aware that it's not right to compare players from different times, but don't start whining about it. It's just for fun.

You ever heard of reverse psychology matey ? Wink

Although it's a very fine list my principle whine is that it's silly to compare defenders, midfielders and forwards against each other.

Best defender - Baresi
Best midfielder - Platini
Best forward - Maradona

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:06
So many good ones but not in recent years. Even Christian Ronaldo ( who was at his best with Ferguson) does not comete with cruyff, maradona, Best, Pele.

So my vote goes for Best. Another good one, Denis Law

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:08
Maradonna was the greatest Football player.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:54
I can't really say, because I didn't get to see the old ones play. From our times, my favourite is by far Zidane. He led two club teams to masterliness (Juventus and Real), he led his national side to World and European champions titles. The combination of displayed talent, importance in the teams he was in, and level of achievement is perfect for him.
From the old ones, I can only judge about the achivement and their importance. Well, the more achieved guys were Di Steffano and Cruyff, but DiSteffano did nothing at the national teams level, and Cruyff did good, but didn't win those damn world cups even though he deserved it. Pele had the best achievements at national teams level but he never played in Europe I think? Probably Maradona has the best combined achievements (one world cup won and two other good performances at national level, at good achievements with Barcelona and Napoli, though not comparable to Cruyff's or Di Steffano's).

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 06:52
Maradona was the best although he's not my favourite. He inspired a fairly average Argentina team to win the World Cup pretty much by himself. Pele was great of course but he had other great players alongside him.

My favourites: Gascoigne, Zidane, Stoichkov, Van Basten and Matt Le Tissier(!)

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:41
Pele. 

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 14:28
Where's Beckham?  All of those guys play(ed) football.  Only Beckham has played soccer. Wink    Although, I think that might not be true.  Didn't Pele finish his career in the USA playing soccer? 

Seriously though, being an uninformed American, I would have to say Pele, but I won't vote on the basis of being an uninformed American.

-------------

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:58
Cruyff. Over Pele, but only by a nose hair. 

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 17:31
What's soccer?

Pelé is the best ever........

-------------

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 15:55
Voted other: Pavel Nedved

Posted By: Rabid
Date Posted: September 11 2010 at 14:26
You left out Alvin Martin.....Unhappy

'He's got no hair, but we don't care..
Alvin, Alvin Martin'.

Seriously, though....they're ALL the best.....too many to choose from.

I'd say (even though it goes against the grain, for me)...

George Best.

Rabid
W.H.U.F.C

-------------
"...the thing IS, to put a motor in yourself..."

Posted By: omri
Date Posted: September 12 2010 at 11:45
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Maradonna was the greatest Football player.

Seconded. May not be a nice person but what a player.

Apart from that there's one great player missing in your list - Franz Pushkash (sure misspelled here) the great Hungarian player in the 50's. I think he's as good as Pele and Cruyff, all 3 just a bit less than Maradona.

-------------
omri

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: September 12 2010 at 12:47
He not on that list .

Robin Friday........  "the greatest footballer you never saw"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Friday - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Friday

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: September 12 2010 at 13:58
I seen so many great players:

1. Pele
  2. Maradona
  3. Johan Cruyff
  4. Boniek
  5. Beckembauer
  6. Tostao
  7. Platini
  8. Teofilo Cubillas
  9. Van Basten
  10. Ardiles
  11. Hagi
  12. Stoichkov
  13. Gerson
  14. Jurgen Klinsman
  15. Paolo Rossi
  16. Grzegorz Lato
  17. Enzo Francescoli
  18. Ruud Gullit
  19. Zidane
  20. Michael Laudrup

There are lots to choose from.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2010 at 17:20
Nice to see Hagi in your list Ivan Thumbs Up

Posted By: Thin_Man
Date Posted: September 15 2010 at 04:41
Zinedine Zidane = elegancy and pure perfection! Smile

Posted By: DeKay
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 11:14
Johan Cruyff is my favorite. Prog football

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 11:47
You can't find more dedicated player for a club then Alexandro del Piero when he followed Juve down in serie B and still he have technique better then most 20 year old kids, the balls lies glued to he's feets stil today

in 2006/07 Ronaldhino was sublime best player for many seasons, but lost it when all the camera lences was focuesd on him in World Cup Germany,

but I like del Piero the most Clap

-------------

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 05:04
God, obviously.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 15:28
Maybe Pelé has the better numbers, but to be honest, Brazil team of those years was too complete that they could even win the World Cup without him.

For importance to his team, I think it's Maradona. He was the leader and did too magical stuff, making goals AND assistance to his team mates.

Stoichov was impressive and Zidane was the master in the recent days. But as Platini said once: "Zidane can do with the ball what Maradona could do with a golf ball" and he was right. Maradona was impressive, just a pleasure to watch. Messi is still not there, though he plays great, but I think football nowadays is completely lost of character... they are more worry to be on public anounces than playing football. CR7 wuld quit before he plays like in the 80's with that so many kicks and stuff...

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: JakoCba
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 19:02
Maradoooooooooo... Maradoooooooooooo...

-------------
I don't have lastfm sorry :)

Posted By: Chela
Date Posted: November 24 2010 at 22:57
Originally posted by Thin_Man Thin_Man wrote:

Ignoring that little blooper in the 2006 World Cup, are we? Wink

Posted By: Theriver
Date Posted: November 26 2010 at 10:28
Originally posted by Chela Chela wrote:

Originally posted by Thin_Man Thin_Man wrote:

Ignoring that little blooper in the 2006 World Cup, are we? Wink
What about the hand of "god of Maradona" in 1986

Posted By: chrijom
Date Posted: November 28 2010 at 07:52
No idea, but I know one thing I am NOT voting for the 'hand of god'.  

Posted By: Jörgemeister
Date Posted: November 28 2010 at 20:27
Zizou > pele > Maradona

how the f**k voted George Best? maybe he/she though the question was a word game

Date Posted: November 29 2010 at 08:34
I picked Maradona as the best. Pele was a great player of course but he played in teams with other great players (eg 1958 and 1970). Maradona inspired a fairly ordinary Argentina team to win the World Cup and did the same with Napoli to win the Italian title.

My favourite players though are Zidane, van Basten and currently Berbatov. And Matt Le Tissier - he must have scored more Goal of the Season contenders than any other player.

-------------

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: November 29 2010 at 09:09
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

And Matt Le Tissier - he must have scored more Goal of the Season contenders than any other player.

Brilliant player. On the one hand I have to admire his incredible and anachronic loyalty for Southampton, on the other I can't help but think he could really have become one of the greatest of all time if he had chosen to move on to better teams and bring up his game.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: November 29 2010 at 09:28
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

And Matt Le Tissier - he must have scored more Goal of the Season contenders than any other player.

Brilliant player. On the one hand I have to admire his incredible and anachronic loyalty for Southampton, on the other I can't help but think he could really have become one of the greatest of all time if he had chosen to move on to better teams and bring up his game.

Le Tiss was a magician in the mid 90s. Even if he'd moved to a bigger club though he would still have had a problem with the then England manager Terry Venables who didn't seem to rate him - probably thought he was too individualistic to fit into the team pattern. Venables only selected him a couple of times and I remember he played him out of position on the wing against Romania - almost like he was deliberately picking him to fail.

Just imagine Gascoigne and Le Tiss in the same England team. Even if they'd not won anything it would have been entertaining!

-------------

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 29 2010 at 10:18
Sad Arsenal fan here, so a draw for me between:

Ray Kennedy - he scored the winning goal against the unmentionable thugs to win us the league in 1971.
Charlie George - he scored the winning goal in the FA Cup Final of 1971 to win us the Double.

But seriously, George Best was by far the finest player I have had the pleasure of seeing. Shame he played for Man Utd.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: November 29 2010 at 12:49
Pele. 

Posted By: markosherrera
Date Posted: December 05 2010 at 20:44
PELE
DIEGO FORLAN

-------------
Hi progmaniacs of all the world

Posted By: Philip
Date Posted: December 31 2010 at 11:23
Possibly Maradona. But since I was born in 1990, the best player I saw is definitely Zidane.

-------------
http://www.musical--box.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - My Blog (in Portuguese)

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: December 31 2010 at 17:09
Maradona , then followed by Di Stefano& Pele , then  Me$$i.

Bonus track >   RICARDO ENRIQUE BOCHINI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Bochini" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Bochini

Some videos showing his skills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORdPkP55rYk&feature=related" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 31 2010 at 17:34
aHi,

Probably Pele ... although I can not compare many of the others and their achievements when they were younger.

I got to see him in Araraquara (state of Sao Paolo, Brazil), who was, at the time a part of the same league that Santos was in ... I am not sure that a small town like Araraquara is still involved in stuff like that since Santos and many other teams are major money investments and there is no money in small towns.

In one game alone, and this was before the Cup in '68, Pele has scored 2 goals in the first half hour and they took him off the field ... and he was lustily booed and half the crowd left the stadium at that point. I don't think that the Maradona's and many of the others after, ever got to see stuff like that in their earlier days ... being that th egame is so commercial now ... and then there is the injury brigade, whose job is make sure that some of the greats ended up with damaged knees or ankles the rest of their life ... what they did to Ronaldinho in Europe should have gotten about 10 different players banned for several years to stop that stuff on the spot!

I'm not sure that we can see another figure that big, good or wonderful to watch ... the game has gotten so brutal and physical, that the chance to see someone graceful and clean and sliding around like a gazelle are probably over ... they will get killed and run over by all the tanks out there ... guess what's happening to all the forests around the world? .... same thing!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: December 31 2010 at 19:22
Other...Ruud Gullit...my favorite player of all time. He was a much better player than Marco van Basten, and carried AC Milan 3 times to the European Cup, and the Dutch team to the European championship in 1988. I also think Bergkamp should have to be mentioned in this list.

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: December 31 2010 at 19:32
Raul deserves a mention does he not?

-------------

Date Posted: December 31 2010 at 19:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I'm not sure that we can see another figure that big, good or wonderful to watch ... the game has gotten so brutal and physical, that the chance to see someone graceful and clean and sliding around like a gazelle are probably over ... they will get killed and run over by all the tanks out there ... guess what's happening to all the forests around the world? .... same thing!

I don't agree. Many players, like Ronaldo or Thierry Henry, have shown that a gazelle is still a gazelle even at high speeds. Other players, like Ronaldinho, Xavi, Cr. Ronaldo, Messi, etc. have shown that you can still trick your adversaries like in the schoolyard. Player like Zidane, Rivaldo or Totti have shown that if you have strength and will power, you can still break any defense, no matter how concrete-strong it is. Players like Raul, Inzaghi or Del Piero have shown that you can still break any strong defense simply by being smarter than them. Etc. There is so much to see in modern football! Honestly, I don't think I could watch full games from before the 90s. I like the "romantic" flavour of the football of the past, but that's quite it.

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: December 31 2010 at 21:38
The Angel with Crooked Legs

-------------

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 11:13
Georgie Best Superstar

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: clarkpegasus4001
Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 23:04
PELE
Tony C.

Posted By: daz2112
Date Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:19
Jimmy Greaves

-------------
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole

Posted By: Rasvamakkara
Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 16:16
As a Finn I have to mention our own one and only King, Jari Litmanen, a wonderful and immensely intelligent player. It's a pity he suffered so many injuries in his career or he'd probably be more famous. It's also a pity he never got to play in the European cup or the World cup, he very likely played his last game in the national team last November.
Dennis Bergkamp is another of my favorites.

That said, it's hard for me to choose a best player ever since I never had the chance to properly see some of the old greats play.   

Posted By: markosherrera
Date Posted: June 20 2011 at 02:36
Zepp Maier,Dino Zoff...

-------------
Hi progmaniacs of all the world

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: June 29 2011 at 10:24
Pele, and if you say someone else then you're too young to know.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk