Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71067
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 13:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Phil Collins vs Nick Mason
Posted By: someone_else
Subject: Phil Collins vs Nick Mason
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 02:43
A discussion between two fellow countrymen in Gandalff's negative poll about Genesis members kindled my interest in how PA members think about these two drummers:

Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I haven't been smoking at all. Compared to, let's say; Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd, Magma, King Crimson and even Yes, Genesis has by far the worst sounding drums. They completely destroy the sound of their recordings. This is due to the bad recording for which I blame Collins, since his predecessor had a fine recording on Trespass.  

Say whatever you want about the sound, but at least Phil can play drums at all, unlike the boring stuff you find on most Pink Floyd albums.

This poll concerns just their drumming. Be welcome to tell me whom you prefer (and why).

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 02:50
Well, A TRICK OF THE TAIL was the first Genesis album where the drums sounded as they should - but was Collins really to blame for earlier weaknesses?

Nick Mason has admitted, I believe, that he's only a mediocre player.

Finally, you only need to listen to Phil's playing on SECONDS OUT, with Brand X, and for the likes of John Cale and John Martyn, to know that he once was a very fine drummer.

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 02:54
Mason is a mediocre player compared, but at least he wasn't responsible for Invisible Touch.

I actually do like Mason's drumming, it fits with much of PF's music. Collins has never really done much for me as a drummer (although he is a better drummer than Mason), I've never really enjoyed his work that much.

Posted By: sydbarrett2010
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 02:55
i dont know about collins but i believe that nick ruined the whole pf band

Posted By: 40footwolf
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 02:59
Phil Collins is one of the best drummers alive. Nick Mason...is a drummer. 

-------------
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 03:57
No contest. Listen to Genesis Live and tell me that isn't one of the best performances by a prog drummer.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 03:59
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Well, A TRICK OF THE TAIL was the first Genesis album where the drums sounded as they should - but was Collins really to blame for earlier weaknesses?

Actually I like the drum sounds on SEBTP and LLDOB. Neither are particularly "true to life" I suppose but they still sound good. As for earlier albums, Dead.

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 04:03
by miles Phil !!!

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 04:06
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Well, A TRICK OF THE TAIL was the first Genesis album where the drums sounded as they should - but was Collins really to blame for earlier weaknesses? .

Actually I like the drum sounds on SEBTP and LLDOB. Neither are particularly "true to life" I suppose but they still sound good. As for earlier albums, Dead.

As a matter of fact, I agree! I was just thinking of what Armando Gallo (the Italian Genesis expert) said when TRICK appeared: "At last you can hear the drums!" (The irony being, of course, that as Phil's solo career developed, we all got to hear his drums FAR TOO WELL! )

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 04:32
Phil Collins is probably more skilled as drummer, he sings and has a good voice. But I like that metronome with moustaches more. I think I prefer Ringo Starr to Phil Collins, too.

Of course if we are speaking of "drumming only" Phil is the best of those three.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 04:47
Both absolute genius drummers in their day. Mason could play totally random riffs, Collins was truly innovative and at his prime one of the best in the world. You need to compare them  in their prime not twilight yearsBig smile Not that Neil Peart is losing his grip - he is a freak of nature!.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 04:56
Definitely Phil.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:02
Mr Collins.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: zbida
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:04
I completely can't understand so (trendy?) negative comments of Phil Collins here. He was (is?) a very good drummer with unquestionable 'feeling' and doesn't matter if somebody likes him or not - he is undeniable part of one of the greatest bands ever (responsible for new directions in its style - not ALL of them negative) and prog music at all.
Fro the other side, I've never regarded Nick as an unique technician, but I like his drumming.

A vote for Phil.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:16
I think that even the veritable Mr Mason would vote for Phil in this poll. Mason was always very honest about his limitations as a musician, and  recall him actually being replaced by session drummers on The Wall & The Final Cut on tracks that called for different signatures - that certainly never happened to Collins.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: seventhsojourn
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:40
The Artful Dodger.

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 05:58
Originally posted by zbida zbida wrote:

I completely can't understand so (trendy?) negative comments of Phil Collins here. He was (is?) a very good drummer with unquestionable 'feeling' and doesn't matter if somebody likes him or not - he is undeniable part of one of the greatest bands ever (responsible for new directions in its style - not ALL of them negative) and prog music at all.
Fro the other side, I've never regarded Nick as an unique technician, but I like his drumming.

A vote for Phil.
Having expressed a negative comment, let me clarify: I don't have anything against Phil Collins as drummer. He's surely more skilled than Mason. It's that I don't like his solo works at all and I barely like Genesis. 
Mason gives me more emotions and is perfect for Pink Floyd. I don't think Pink Floyd would have been the same with a different drummer, even a more skilled one. 

If the post is about skill, there's no discussion, instead. Phil Collins is a drummer, Mason plays drums.

-------------

Posted By: Progatron
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 06:34
I like Nick Mason, but this is like asking which is better: a nickel or a suitcase full of hundred-dollar-bills.

Collins by an immeasurable distance! Smile

-------------
Genesis/Yes/Rush/Marillion/VDGG&PH/The Flower Kings/Zappa/Änglagĺrd/Wobbler/PFM/Banco/Le Orme/Jethro Tull/Spock's Beard/Transatlantic/Ayreon/Beardfish/IQ/Dream Theater/Opeth/P.Tree/Arena/Camel/Kaipa!

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 06:40
Originally posted by sydbarrett2010 sydbarrett2010 wrote:

i dont know about collins but i believe that nick ruined the whole pf band

I don't think that Nick Mason ruined anything at all. I have been a Pink Floyd fan since 1972 and I can't hear anything on their albums that might make me think so. Nevertheless, I think that Phil Collins is the most skilled of these two drummers and therefore I abandon my default behaviour of voting for Pink Floyd in this poll.

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 06:47
Nick Mason is a perfect drummer for Pink Floyd- he doesn't choke the music and allows it to breathe (no pun intended).

Phil Collins is a more dynamic drummer, and I think fits Genesis well both as a drummer and vocalist (up until Duke).

No vote.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 06:55

Geee has know one  ever seen Floyd"s Pompeii  i just love watching Nick Mason hit those drums , in his prime he was a fine drummer and far from as being as poor as some people here are saying. 

But yeah still voted for me Collins. saw him with Brand x was rather good. 

-------------

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 07:45
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Geee has know one  ever seen Floyd"s Pompeii  i just love watching Nick Mason hit those drums , in his prime he was a fine drummer and far from as being as poor as some people here are saying. 

I think so to.  In fact Mason underestimates himself, I think he has that sort of character. 

His drumming on Saucerful and Ummagumma was quite brilliant.  I've no doubt it was technically unsound, but who cares as long as it sounds good.

I find it hard to vote as Collins had some brilliant moments too. In the end i went for Mason because the drumming in the classic Pink Floyd work is slightly more important IMO than the drumming in the classic Genesis work.

Posted By: silcir
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 07:57
phil collins. easy choice for me.

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 08:03
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

I think so to.  In fact Mason underestimates himself, I think he has that sort of character. 

His drumming on Saucerful and Ummagumma was quite brilliant.  I've no doubt it was technically unsound, but who cares as long as it sounds good.

I find it hard to vote as Collins had some brilliant moments too. In the end i went for Mason because the drumming in the classic Pink Floyd work is slightly more important IMO than the drumming in the classic Genesis work.
It's what I wanted to say, but you said it better Clap

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 08:03
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I think that even the veritable Mr Mason would vote for Phil in this poll. Mason was always very honest about his limitations as a musician, and  recall him actually being replaced by session drummers on The Wall & The Final Cut on tracks that called for different signatures - that certainly never happened to Collins.
It never happened because he would "correct" some of the irrational time-signatures that Rutherford would come up with into something more standard..

-------------
What?

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 08:07
Mason was a Ringo Starr type, played what was right for the music. Tasty and simple.

Phil Collins was one the most skilled drummers of the 70's, perhaps the best decade for drummers ever.

Sure the guy sang Illegal Alien among other lame choices, but the guy had skill on the skins.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 09:34
Phil, no doubt.

-------------

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 11:22
Phil Collins of course.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 12:32
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

Phil Collins is one of the best drummers alive. Nick Mason...is a drummer. 

That's a good answer. As Wakeman said once, the true about a performer is the live performance. Mason is not bad, but Collins is one of the best.

Posted By: Alberto Muńoz
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 12:40
I like both and by this no vote

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 12:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It never happened because he would "correct" some of the irrational time-signatures that Rutherford would come up with into something more standard..

Never heard this before. Sounds interesting. Could you tell something else about?

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:08
Collins is the better drummer, in the better band, in my opinion. But Mason was a solid and effective drummer, who worked well with Floyd.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:18
Nick Mason is a good drummer and did some interesting things with Pink Floyd, but Phil Collins is a great drummer. 

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:53
To steal and modify an album title from FZ...."Shut up and play your drums".

PC

Posted By: Progatron
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 14:14
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Never heard this before. Sounds interesting. Could you tell something else about?

I would gather that he is talking about "Turn It On Again", which they've mentioned many times in interviews was originally in 13/8, but Phil laid down a groove that made it sound a deceptively simple 4/4.

-------------
Genesis/Yes/Rush/Marillion/VDGG&PH/The Flower Kings/Zappa/Änglagĺrd/Wobbler/PFM/Banco/Le Orme/Jethro Tull/Spock's Beard/Transatlantic/Ayreon/Beardfish/IQ/Dream Theater/Opeth/P.Tree/Arena/Camel/Kaipa!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 14:36
There are 16 insane people on the loose. Help!

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 14:52
)
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Phil Collins is a better drummer but I can't stand his face, do you remember the video of "On the air tonight"? He looks like Death in a Bergman's movie...I feel more sympathy for Mason and the butterfly on his t-shirt at Pompeii (well it was in London but the director didn't tell).

Out of his band Mason produced (and signed) a Carla Bley album and a not so bad collaboration with 10cc's Fenn. Think to what Collins did alone.

Mason never danced with a high-pitched disco performer.

Collins is a great drummer, the problem is that he write songs and sings them. If he was limited to drums he'd have received my vote. 

Don't ask me if I prefer Picasso or Bowie as painter. (because I prefer Bowie LOL)

Last but not least, Nick Mason has still some hair. Phil Collins doesn't.

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:32
Originally posted by Progatron Progatron wrote:

Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

I would gather that he is talking about "Turn It On Again", which they've mentioned many times in interviews was originally in 13/8, but Phil laid down a groove that made it sound a deceptively simple 4/4.

Ok. I was read and listened this, but I didn't relate it with what Dean said. Thanks anyway.

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:02
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

)

Phil Collins is a better drummer but I can't stand his face, do you remember the video of "On the air tonight"? He looks like Death in a Bergman's movie...I feel more sympathy for Mason and the butterfly on his t-shirt at Pompeii (well it was in London but the director didn't tell).

Out of his band Mason produced (and signed) a Carla Bley album and a not so bad collaboration with 10cc's Fenn. Think to what Collins did alone.

Collins is a great drummer, the problem is that he write songs and sings them. If he was limited to drums he'd have received my vote. 

Don't ask me if I prefer Picasso or Bowie as painter. (because I prefer Bowie LOL)

All irrelevant as this poll asks for the better drummer. Any other take on it is deficient.

-------------

Posted By: JROCHA
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:38
Phil Collins gets my vote, he was one of the best drummers in the 70's music scene. His work with Brand X and of course Genesis was amazing. One of my all time favorite drummers!

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:39
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

)

All irrelevant as this poll asks for the better drummer. Any other take on it is deficient.
I'm sorry but I thought that the fact that I'm joking was evident. I don't see a possible comparison between the two in terms of drumming, for the same admission of Nick Mason. In Inside Out he says that he had to "study" his own parts for Live8 and he was no longer drumming since the last Pink Floyd tour in the 90s.

The poll results are currently 63 to 16,. All the "serious" things have already been said I think.
Do you really think that I prefer Bowie to Picasso? I know that Bowie paints but I've never seen any of his paintings. 
How could I care about the quantity of hair on the head of a drummer? 

If my joke is obvious your reply is as irrelevant as mine.  If not, please all the participants to the thread forgive me.

-------------

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:44
No contest.
Phil Collins was once one of the finest drummers on the planet.
It's a shame that a singer by the same name killed him.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Any Colour You Like
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:47

I'll take that as a compliment.

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:58
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

No contest.
Phil Collins was once one of the finest drummers on the planet.
It's a shame that a singer by the same name killed him.
His voice is not bad at all. The problem is in the rubbish pop things that he produced in the 80s. He has been killed by a songwriter in search of easy money. The singer is not guilty

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 17:06
Nick Mason for me. Phil Collins is unquestionably superior in purely technical terms, but Nick Mason is one of those rare examples of a drummer who is absolutely perfect for the band that he is in (like Ringo, another non virtuoso without whom...).

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 17:09
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Nick Mason for me. Phil Collins is unquestionably superior in purely technical terms, but Nick Mason is one of those rare examples of a drummer who is absolutely perfect for the band that he is in (like Ringo, another non virtuoso without whom...).

Thanks, your the first that agrees with my first reply to this post. At least one Big smile
"Phil Collins is probably more skilled as drummer, he sings and has a good voice. But I like that metronome with moustaches more. I think I prefer Ringo Starr to Phil Collins, too."

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 17:12
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

So another vote for the "inferior" drummer.Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 17:13

)

I'm sorry but I thought that the fact that I'm joking was evident. I don't see a possible comparison between the two in terms of drumming, for the same admission of Nick Mason. In Inside Out he says that he had to "study" his own parts for Live8 and he was no longer drumming since the last Pink Floyd tour in the 90s.

The poll results are currently 63 to 16,. All the "serious" things have already been said I think.
Do you really think that I prefer Bowie to Picasso? I know that Bowie paints but I've never seen any of his paintings. 

If my joke is obvious your reply is as irrelevant as mine.  If not, please all the participants to the thread forgive me.

Sorry I thought you voted for Mason.

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 17:18

)

Sorry I thought you voted for Mason.
Effectively I voted for Mason, but it was already very irrelevant: after my vote we were 15 to 3 if I remember correctly,and with no chances for Nick. My vote is probably the most irrelevant thing that I have given to this thread. 
I want to say another irrelevant thing then I'll stop replying here as I don't want to monopolize the thread: my favourite drummer is Andy Ward.

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 17:26
^he's pretty good

-------------

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 17:32
Phil. For all the right reasons. I do think Nick is a better singer though...

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 01:31

I don't dislike Mason just can't understand why anyone would seriously consider him a better drummer than Collins. Its not a vote on personalities or whether you prefer Floyd over Genesis. Its who is the better drummer. Taste wise you have to be very disinterested in drumming to consider Mason better. (imo)

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 01:45

I don't dislike Mason just can't understand why anyone would seriously consider him a better drummer than Collins. Its not a vote on personalities or whether you prefer Floyd over Genesis. Its who is the better drummer. Taste wise you have to be very disinterested in drumming to consider Mason better. (imo)

That's why I voted for Mason... The question itself is meaningless. About drumming and skill there's nothing to discuss. I thought the poll had a sense only looking at marginal aspects (fit for purpose in the band and so on) otherwise there's nothing to discuss. It's like asking who is the best guitarist between John McLaughlin and Jon Anderson. 

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 11:08
The poll question is 'who is the best drummer' but later in the OP this changes and becomes 'who do you prefer'

They're potentially different things.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 12:07
I say have them face off with a bunch of sharpened drumsticks and try to skewer one or the other by throwing them like knives. Tongue

Or if they want to get really messy, they can hurl fried chicken legs or those ice cream cone thingies at one another.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 17:20
Phil Collins is one of my favourite drummers. Next to Bill Bruford, Carl Palmer, Billy Cobham.
(Besides, Phil can also sing pretty well. For example, I like it how he sings Squonk. Only his compositions are sometimes a little boring. But this is not the question.)

Posted By: GY!BE
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 17:48
Phil without any doubt

-------------
It is all a dream, a dream in death...

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 18:55
I was thinking I can't imagine them trading places, each are or were really right for their respective main bands.

Phil seems to be more prolific and bombastic though. 

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: September 12 2010 at 11:07
 What's with all the Collins apologism?  He is the better drummer and if you agree, vote for him.  Whether he sang horrible songs in his solo career has no bearing here. Whether that makes the poll less interesting is not of any importance, make a 'more interesting' poll in that case.  And which of Floyd or Genesis albums were the more important is of no relevance either. The question put forth in the poll was fairly simple and most people would also have no trouble in answering the question.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: September 12 2010 at 14:46
Phil for President

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: September 12 2010 at 15:00
Both are examples of drummers who declined in quality (Mason to the extent where he was replaced by sessioners and machines during the 80s).

But both are also not amazing in the first place, yet very suited to their bands. But then the Genesis live album mentioned above, and Pompeii kind of disprove the claims of mediocrity. They are certainly more dynamic in a live setting.

But in any case, its too insignificant to vote. Palmer/Peart would provoke more interest. Or White/Bruford if you want to start an argument... he he......

Posted By: fattony88
Date Posted: September 14 2010 at 09:44
You guys got it spot on. Nick kicked ass on that Pompeii DVD, especially on A Saucerful of Secrets. When I first saw him play that beat I was pretty blown away.Shocked

I think the slower calmer drumming in his later years was due in part to Waters direction of the bands music as a whole, so Mason did not get the creative input as he did pre-Dark Side of the Moon.

Collins on the other hand was a good singer and excellent drummer as well but my vote still goes to Mason because I never liked Genesis to much.

-------------
FG INC

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: September 14 2010 at 11:06
Nick Mason, clearly.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: September 14 2010 at 11:15

-------------

Posted By: esky
Date Posted: September 14 2010 at 15:05
It's Collins, hands down, as the better of the two (his Brand X contributions stand out) although I'd rather listen to a Mason-produced bit of music than a Collins one (like Gong's Shamal).

Posted By: pinkyfloydyfan
Date Posted: September 14 2010 at 15:15
Agreed. Collins is a more complete drummer: he can play in manny style. BUT, Mason is perfect for Pink Floyd: he give a smooth aspect to that music.

So, Collins is the best of the two and better than so many...

-------------
We are pilgrims!

Posted By: mohaveman
Date Posted: September 14 2010 at 17:16
Phil

Posted By: ferush
Date Posted: September 14 2010 at 18:10
Phil Collins is a great and complete musician despite everything and everyone.

Posted By: twostikks
Date Posted: September 15 2010 at 14:35

Who's the better drummer?   Phillip, man.  The guy's work on the first 3 Brand X albums alone distinguishes him above Nick Mason.

I DO think Nick's laid-back style of playing suited Floyd's music.  But Collins fast, fluid style is brilliant, and certainly suited Genesis very well.  It also shows he's actually a better drummer than Nick (although I imagine Nick is a great bloke).  Smile

-------------
Gary
"... people will always be tempted to wipe their feet on anything with WELCOME written on it"
Andy Partridge

Posted By: Geizao
Date Posted: September 16 2010 at 01:00

Nick Mason, he's still a proggy man.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: September 16 2010 at 01:24
Phil Collins played with Buddy Richs Big Band, Nick Mason did not.

that tells alot...

-------------

Date Posted: September 16 2010 at 03:31
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Phil Collins played with Buddy Richs Big Band, Nick Mason did not.

that tells alot...

Might be true, especially when Neil Peart did the same thing.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 16 2010 at 22:59
I won't vote, haven't payed enough attention, though I guess I would agree Collins is the better in the end. However, I do like a lot the aproach Mason had to drumming in some of the early songs, like Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (specially in Pompeii, as has already been mentioned), Saucerful of Secrets (also specially the live versions), and even Remember a Day.

Posted By: progvortex
Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 00:20
No contest! Phil Collins is groovier, more syncopated, more dynamic, more in touch with the other instruments. Nick Mason is solid, but he's a click track. It's sterile and lifeless, whereas Phil Collins is so organic, textural. He plays the drums like a guitar because he's really creating musical timbres, instead of just regurgitating beats.

OHHHH silly me; I completely forgot about old Piper, Saucerful, Ummagumma, Obscured, Meddle Pink Floyd. Mason certainly was definitely more innovative then. Collins still takes the cake, though.

-------------
Life is like a beanstalk... isn't it?

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 00:32
Phil by miles.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 01:46

Clap

Posted By: DeKay
Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 13:57
Phil Collins

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: September 24 2010 at 15:34
Nick Mason is no drummer. Collins was ( and mean was) a great drummer. Just listen to Genesis Live. Here he is awesome! Technically superb!

Posted By: Weirdamigo
Date Posted: September 24 2010 at 15:39
Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

Nick Mason is no drummer. Collins was ( and mean was) a great drummer. Just listen to Genesis Live. Here he is awesome! Technically superb!

So PF didn't have a drummer then?

-------------
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted By: overmatik
Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 08:29
Please guys, Phil is obviously a more technical drummer than Nick.

BTW, Beatles fans say Ringo is a better drummer than Nick, so if Ringo is better than Nick in their twisted minds Ringo is also better than Phil? Confused

-------------
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 10:20
Mason!Because is less technical.

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 11:34
i'm a great floyd fan but for sure as a drummer collins is the best

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 11:34
Collins is the better drummer, but i do love Mason's drumming, although simplistic it perfectly suits Floyd's music

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 12:47

Technically, collins surpasses Mason in everyway.

But i believe that both fit their bands respectfully.
Though i wish Mason was a little more talented..

Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 13:01
Originally posted by Harold-The-Barrel Harold-The-Barrel wrote:

Collins is the better drummer, but i do love Mason's drumming, although simplistic it perfectly suits Floyd's music
     yes !! this!! Clap

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 13:26
Must have been a slow day at the office to bump this one back up.

Posted By: Steven Brodziak
Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 20:11
Live from Pompei. A Saucerful of Secrets. To maintain that speed and precision for such a length of time, I give endurance to Mr. Mason. Agree with drumming from Trespass! I will not take away from Phil though.

I did not vote in this poll.

-------------
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)

Date Posted: March 17 2011 at 07:17
Since Phil has health issues I think Nicky could take him.

-------------

Posted By: MonsterMagnet
Date Posted: March 17 2011 at 10:58
As a drum player, Phil Collins. I find that he's better technically and his drums playing is remarkable in Brand X.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:20

Nick Mason would never get allowed to do this

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2011 at 18:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Since Phil has health issues I think Nicky could take him.
    LOL  YES! AND TELLING HIM ONE OF THESE DAYS I'M GONNA CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES ! !

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 17 2011 at 19:09
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

I like going around saying that Genesis fans never heard Pink Floyd until AFTER the Dark Side album, and by then, Nick's drumming was no longer appreciated anyway ... but when one sits through "Live in Pompeii", which most Dark Side and Wall fans will not do ... they have no reason to compare him to Mr. Collins.

It's ok. Nick doesn't care. And once replied ... chips and beans? ... when asked that type of question ... he's not into the ego rock/music thing at all ... and he concentrates on what he does, not the rest of the bs, including some really bad comparisons.

Btw, Phil went from being a good drummer to a lousy drummer, when he started singing more, and his best drumming is not even in a Genesis album ... it can be found in a few Eno albums and some Brand X albums, where the music was considerably more challenging and he had to concentrate on teh music rather than sing!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: spookytooth
Date Posted: March 17 2011 at 19:25
Phil Collins without a doubt
< style="height: 80px; width: 444px; border-top-color: rgba7, 0, 0, 0; border-left-color: rgba7, 0, 0, 0; border-right-color: rgba7, 0, 0, 0; border-bottom-color: rgba7, 0, 0, 0; border-top-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; padding-top: 2px; padding-right: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 2px">< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="auto" ed="ed">Detect language< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en" ed="ed">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish
English (auto-detected) » English

-------------

Would you like some Bailey's?

Date Posted: March 18 2011 at 20:17
anyway no floyd like i loveit without mason

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: March 18 2011 at 21:31
Although Floyd is my favorite band, I prefer Phil Collins as a drummer. But Nick was the perfect drummer for Floyd, Time's intro is one of my favorite moments in music.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: March 19 2011 at 08:05
Chester Thompson. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: March 19 2011 at 08:46
Nick Mason. Tongue

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk