Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71078
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 15:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sci Fi Movies
Posted By: EatThatPhonebook
Subject: Sci Fi Movies
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 10:15
Here's a pretty big list of Sci Fi movie classics. Pick your favorite!

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 10:16
Which Planet of the Apes?

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 10:19
For me, it's between 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner.  I'll vote later. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 10:25
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Which Planet of the Apes?

The original one!

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 10:45
Tough call between Blade Runner and the Tarkovsky ones. Voted for Blade Runner because that's the one I watch most often.

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 10:46
I've not seen everything on that list, but of those I have A Clockwork Orange is my favourite. Few films have bored me quite so spectacularly as Blade Runner. I don't get why that film is so highly acclaimed.

Posted By: NecronCommander
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 11:12
Okay, well The Empire Strikes Back is most likely the best sci-fi film ever made.  Ever.

But there are too many good ones on this list.  Aliens, The Matrix, Terminator 2, Blade Runner, 2001...

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I've not seen everything on that list, but of those I have A Clockwork Orange is my favourite. Few films have bored me quite so spectacularly as Blade Runner. I don't get why that film is so highly acclaimed.

Stern SmileAngryCryHug

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:09
What a good poll. I've voted for 2001. It set the benchmark for modern sci-fi movies and is based upon a genuinely classic piece of written work.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:11
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

What a good poll. I've voted for 2001. It set the benchmark for modern sci-fi movies and is based upon a genuinely classic piece of written work.

The novel and the movie were developed at the same time actually.  Both were based partly on older stories of Clarke's, though.

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:14
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Stern SmileAngryCryHug

Sorry man, I just don't get it. I'm open for someone to try and explain what I'm missing but... meh, I just couldn't get into it.

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:15
I think the two best sci-fi/action movies ever are Aliens and T2. Today I am in more of an Aliens mood, so I vote for that.

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:32

Stern SmileAngryCryHug

Sorry man, I just don't get it. I'm open for someone to try and explain what I'm missing but... meh, I just couldn't get into it.
It looks awesome and there's a lot of rain in it. Those are the main points, I think.

Posted By: DreamerVerX
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:37

From all of the Sci-Fi movies. I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28film%29 - Metropolis should be on the top. I think it is the Grand daddy of them all. 

Man - I clicked on other, I haven't took notice on Metropolis being on the poll. 
So, my "other" poll answer should count in the Metropolis.

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:40

This hits it in the head (ouch) for me. As much as I love Blade Runner, Clockwork Orange and Aliens. 2001 crashed the door open for sci-fi films that followed. Big smile

Nice poll!

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 13:44

Stern SmileAngryCryHug

If it makes you feel any better, I don't like Blade Runner either, although Philip K. Dick is one of my favorite sci-fi writers.

-------------

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:20
I love a lot of these movies, but 2001 is the greatest movie of all time and gets my vote.

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 15:47
Dune for me 

Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:27
Originally posted by DreamerVerX DreamerVerX wrote:

From all of the Sci-Fi movies. I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28film%29 - Metropolis should be on the top. I think it is the Grand daddy of them all. 

I thought that movie was kind of boringOuch
I think I'll vote for 2001.

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:30
Alien - fantastic

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:36
I wouldn't really consider Star Wars films SF even though I enjoy them. I love the remake of Solaris but 2001 will probably get my vote. Proper SF.

When this trend to call SF Sci Fi started I don't know.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 03:36
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I wouldn't really consider Star Wars films SF even though I enjoy them.

Confused Whut? In what way is Star Wars NOT sci-fi?

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 04:02
I liked Space Odysssey 2010. Yes that second one with Roy Schneider, great story line. Also even if the acting is a bit cheesy, Mission to Mars with Gary Sinese, Tim Robbins. The depiction of the alien was really classic. While I am on a roll, The Abyss with Ed Harris and that Robin Hood babe, Great movie, I think I need tpo go rent some DVD's outSmile

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Falx
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 04:05
I think that science fiction specifically refers to fiction that has science as a theme. Authors like Arthur C. Clarke (physics) and Philip K. Dick (psychology), for example. Star Wars is just an action film set in space, where's the science? Star Trek, on the other hand, is definitely science fiction.

Bladerunner has at its heart a philosophical question (as many of PKD's books do), namely, what is it that makes us human? How human-like does an android have to become before it becomes human instead of a machine? Also, the film is dripping with juicy symbolism.

-------------
"You must go beyond the limit of the limit of your limits!" - Mr. Doctor
"It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 04:30
Hitchikers guide to the universe...haha that was a laugh

-------------

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 04:30
Originally posted by Falx Falx wrote:

I think that science fiction specifically refers to fiction that has science as a theme. Authors like Arthur C. Clarke (physics) and Philip K. Dick (psychology), for example. Star Wars is just an action film set in space, where's the science? Star Trek, on the other hand, is definitely science fiction.

I'd say that is a valid but narrow definition. Star Wars heavily features potential future technologies (spaceships, light sabers, etc) and speculates on the possibility of alien life. It might not be an exploration of heavyweight concepts like time travel or alternate realities but that doesn't make it any less of a science fiction film, IMO. I can't believe I'm sticking up for Star Wars. I hate those movies.

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 04:33

It's set in space true....does that alone make it SF? It's obviously part of the category SF, but as a purist its just Space Opera......I do like it though. Most of the very best SF I have read in a book though.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 04:34

Originally posted by Falx Falx wrote:

I'd say that is a valid but narrow definition. Star Wars heavily features potential future technologies (spaceships, light sabers, etc) and speculates on the possibility of alien life. It might not be an exploration of heavyweight concepts like time travel or alternate realities but that doesn't make it any less of a science fiction film, IMO. I can't believe I'm sticking up for Star Wars. I hate those movies.

You got your opinion...I've got mine.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 04:35
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Galaxy.

And more inventive and SF than Star Wars ever is.

-------------

Posted By: caretaker
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 05:27
From the list, 2001. I like the Predator movies, especially the second one, almost all the Star Treks. Hitchiker's is great. I pretty much like all Sci-fi.

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 05:58

Galaxy.

And more inventive and SF than Star Wars ever is.

Agreed. H2G2 is often overlooked as it's first and foremost a comedy, but the actual sci-fi content contains some of the most imaginative and ingenious ideas to ever emerge from the genre.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 06:57
Leaving a sci fi comedy, H2G2, out of the poll was a grave omission, even though the movie version isn't well regarded.  Otherwise a varied selection set from heavy on the action to heavy on the science.  I find it rather amusing that some here who like 2001 find Bladerunner boring.  And where the hell are our air/space jets and orbiting hotels and Pan-Am for that matter?  It's 2010 already for crying out loud! Angry

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 10:04

The novel and the movie were developed at the same time actually.  Both were based partly on older stories of Clarke's, though.

Yep. The short story was The Sentinel. I should have made this clearer in my postEmbarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 10:08
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Dune for me 

I'd definitely agree with you if the poll was for written sci-fi. Strangely enough, I'm going through all of them again now, including the prequels/sequels written by Herbert jnr & Anderson (I can feel another poll coming on!). Currently half way through Heretics, and still, after many years, really enjoying the series and finding new things out.

The film by David Lynch, though, was a real let down for me, utterly convoluted and basically a space opera which left out all of the important philosophical, religious, and political stuff at the heart of the original novels.

I thought the Sci Fi Channel efforts were far superior.

-------------

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 10:22
2001 gets my vote. A buddy and I watched the Jupiter sequence on 2 hits of acid once. Just a word of advice don't try this unless you are ready for a really bad cid trip. Ended up in the hospital.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 10:24
I've yet to see a good Dune film/series and am surprised that an epic type trilogy ( big Bucks) has not been reconsidered/undertaken.Even up to God Emperor.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 10:26
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

2001 gets my vote. A buddy and I watched the Jupiter sequence on 2 hits of acid once. Just a word of advice don't try this unless you are ready for a really bad cid trip. Ended up in the hospital.
LOL. did you manage to see the end of 2001? Or have you given it a miss...

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 10:50
Actually have seen it more times than I can count. But never agin on acid. When we had these repitiore theatres here in Montréal just before the Jupiter sequence everyone would be lighting up joints, dropping acid and whatever their drug of preference was. The theatre was smokier than a bar.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 10:56
I really like the Dune movie.  When it came out, I hadn't read any of the books and didn't know who the hell David Lynch was.  Went to see it at the movies several times.  It wasn't until someone got me to try Twin Peaks that I realized how much a Lynch movie it actually was.  I can see though that it did suffer from a form of TMI.  The story is just too complex to fit into a single movie.  A lot of the dialog often seemed unnatural as there was a lot of explaining to do.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 11:02

I've yet to see a good Dune film/series and am surprised that an epic type trilogy ( big Bucks) has not been reconsidered/undertaken.Even up to God Emperor.

Absolutely. There is talk of a new film, though, isn't there?

I would love to see the epic type you mention, and especially God Emperor, which is my favourite of the sequence, and probably my favourite book of all time. Leto II was just an awesome character.

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 11:16
My top 10 are:

1. A Clockwork Orange....Stanley Kubrik
  2. Blade Runner.....Riddley Scott
  3. Alien.....Riddley Scott
  4. Farenheit 451....Francois Truffaut
  5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind....Steven Spielberg
  6. Brazil....Terry Gilliam
  7. Planet of the Apes....Frankin Schaffner
  8. Robocop.....Paul Verhoeven
  9. Terminator I....James Cameron
  10. 2001 A Space Odyssey...Stanley Kubrik

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 13:59
I Wouldn't call Brazil a sci-fi movie. Anything that originates from Gilliam's mind is certainly bizarre though.

-------------

Posted By: Tursake
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 14:21
Star Wars original trilogy > Terminator 2 > 2001 > Blade Runner > rest

-------------

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 14:28
I also really liked "Inception" one of 2010's most successful movies. I should have that one on the list as well. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 16:55

Sci-Fi is set in the future, and Star Wars is set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:35
 ^ I've been hearing people say that for years, but 1:  much important sci-fi is set in the past (H.G. Wells, Verne, etc), and 2: Star Wars is very science/tech oriented as opposed to Lord of the Rings or  other 'fantasies'

Geek 

my vote goes to the father of modern sci-fi, Forbidden Planet.. or from this list the original TDtESS

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:56
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I've been hearing people say that for years, but 1:  much important sci-fi is set in the past (H.G. Wells, Verne, etc), and 2: Star Wars is very science/tech oriented as opposed to Lord of the Rings or  other 'fantasies'

Geek 

my vote goes to the father of modern sci-fi, Forbidden Planet.. or from this list the original TDtESS

Considering what we see in the night sky already happened many years ago, it's from the past but here it is now.  If I not mistaken, Wells time machine story was set to be about about a character who existed in and traveled forward to beyond the era when Wells wrote it. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:48
Finally gave my vote to Blade Runner, though it and 2001 are probably tied for me in all reality.  Metropolis is worth mentioning as well, though I don't enjoy it quite as much as the other two. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I've been hearing people say that for years, but 1:  much important sci-fi is set in the past (H.G. Wells, Verne, etc), and 2: Star Wars is very science/tech oriented as opposed to Lord of the Rings or  other 'fantasies'    Geek 

Considering what we see in the night sky already happened many years ago, it's from the past but here it is now.  If I not mistaken, Wells time machine story was set to be about about a character who existed in and traveled forward to beyond the era when Wells wrote it. 

but it took place at around the turn of the 20 century, as did First Men in the Moon ["Scientific Romance"].. it usually was the non-human races in his stories that represented the - or a possible - future, but not us

Dune is another grey area between genres; fantasy? sci-fi? myth?

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:52
Dune is pretty widely recognized as one of the seminal works of science fiction, and I've always viewed it that way (as sci-fi, and as for the books as some of the most important/great books of the genre). 

As for the comment earlier about Brazil not being sci-fi, I think it is, but it's definitely more of a borderline case. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 03:05
A recent sci-fi film which didn't get anywhere near enough attention on release is Moon. Beautiful sets/visuals (almost no CGI), intriguing premise and a top-notch performance from Sam Rockwell. In ten year's time I feel certain it will be talked about with the same sense of reverence as many of the 'cult classics' on this list.

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 06:09
Anyone out there familiar with this?

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 06:19
Out of these I would choose "2001". "Blade Runner" is in my opinion overrated; good but I was rather disappointed.
Good SF-movies I would recommend are :""Phase IV" by Saul Bass about two scientists studying ants that sho suddenly show intelligent behaviour; it soon becomes unclear who is actually studying whom. I'd like to see a director's cut of this because the last 10 minutes or so were cut out against the director'#s will.
"Silent Running" by Douglas Trumbull (why is it not on the list, by the way? It is pretty well known).
"Welt am Draht" ("world on Wire") by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. The theme of "The Matrix", but twenty-five years earlier and much more intelligent, without special effects but including nude women. Shocked

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 06:29

Anyone out there familiar with this?

Great film.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 06:37
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Out of these I would choose "2001". "Blade Runner" is in my opinion overrated; good but I was rather disappointed.
Good SF-movies I would recommend are :""Phase IV" by Saul Bass about two scientists studying ants that sho suddenly show intelligent behaviour; it soon becomes unclear who is actually studying whom. I'd like to see a director's cut of this because the last 10 minutes or so were cut out against the director'#s will.
"Silent Running" by Douglas Trumbull (why is it not on the list, by the way? It is pretty well known).
"Welt am Draht" ("world on Wire") by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. The theme of "The Matrix", but twenty-five years earlier and much more intelligent, without special effects but including nude women. Shocked

Absolutely, Friede. Silent Running was a magnificent film, and certainly years ahead of its time in the way it dealt with environmental issues. I think that Trumbull was actually involved in 2001 wasn't he?

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 06:58

Absolutely, Friede. Silent Running was a magnificent film, and certainly years ahead of its time in the way it dealt with environmental issues. I think that Trumbull was actually involved in 2001 wasn't he?

Silent Running was indeed a good, but under-appreciated film. Bruce Dern gives such a great and quirky performance. A very interesting, ahead of it's time take on man's screwing up the environment.

I believe Trumbull was indeed one of the special effects people on 2001.

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 08:48
2001, followed by Clockwork Orange, out of the ones in the poll.

Others I like a lot not mentioned here are The Final Programme, Dark Star, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Quatermass and the Pit, The Man who Fell to Earth, Fahrenheit 451.

As Trouserpress said Moon is a very good recent one. I also quite liked Danny Boyle's Sunshine.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 09:26
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Sci-Fi is set in the future, and Star Wars is set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Star Wars is a kid's movie.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 13:47

Dune is pretty widely recognized as one of the seminal works of science fiction, and I've always viewed it that way (as sci-fi, and as for the books as some of the most important/great books of the genre). 

As for the comment earlier about Brazil not being sci-fi, I think it is, but it's definitely more of a borderline case. 
Sadly I have not seen one Dune release that gives credit to Frank Herbert's works. Personally I find the films/series an abominationWink

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 14:16

Sadly I have not seen one Dune release that gives credit to Frank Herbert's works. Personally I find the films/series an abominationWink

I like the movie, but as you said it doesn't exactly do justice to the books. LOL  Same with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 15:37

I like the movie, but as you said it doesn't exactly do justice to the books. LOL  Same with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The David Lynch Dune movie is not good. The extended version released later on was marginally better. The Sci-Fi channel did a mini-series version of it that was better. 

I've read rumors that there may be another attempt to make a film of Dune. 

I think it is very, very difficult, especially today, to make a good science fiction movie from a great novel or short story, except perhaps as an independent film. That's why Moon and Sunshine were so good. These days the main stream studios want explosions, non-stop action and blood and guts doesn't hurt.  Those are not the main ingredients in much of the best science fiction. Story usually takes a back seat in most recent SF films.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 15:44
I don't think Clockwork Orange is Sci-Fi, because it can happen right here and now Wink.
Besides, I voted for 2001 Space Odyssey, my favourite SF film Thumbs Up.

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:13
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

The Incredible Shrinking Man

Clap

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:27
By the way, are there any fans of the Dune books out there who actually like Lynch's Dune?  I am expecting a deafening silence of course. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:28
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

The David Lynch Dune movie is not good. The extended version released later on was marginally better. The Sci-Fi channel did a mini-series version of it that was better.

Hmm, I like the Lynch movie quite a lot.  I've heard from most people that the director's cut is worse thanks to varying quality of picture/sound/etc., I own it but I haven't watched it yet (my copy of the movie has the original cut on one side of the DVD and the extended edition on the other side).  If I'm right, Lynch had his name removed from the credits of the extended one because he was unhappy with it for one reason or another (or more than one?).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29#Alan_Smithee_version - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29#Alan_Smithee_version

I haven't watched the TV series yet.  I plan to eventually, but haven't gotten around to it. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:29

By the way, are there any fans of the Dune books out there who actually like Lynch's Dune?  I am expecting a deafening silence of course. 

Ooh, pick me!  I like it.  Like I said on the last page, I know it doesn't follow the books very well at all, but I like it as a movie nonetheless.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:36

Ooh, pick me!  I like it.  Like I said on the last page, I know it doesn't follow the books very well at all, but I like it as a movie nonetheless.

I like it too.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:42
Duhhh nuhhh naaa neeyyy uhhh...LOL  I still find it totally weird that Toto did most of the soundtrack.  I eventually got a CD of it.  Well, just for the Brian Eno bit. 

I've seen the TV version.  They did put in some cut scenes, like the bile being harvested from a worm and added more narration, but I'm not surprised Lynch said "take me off the credits". LOL

Looking at the poll choices I have to confess that II was such a Planet Of The Apes fan as a kid.  I watched the TV series, too.  Had some of the "action figures".

I'm not sure if I actually laughed at anything. LOL

v v v

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 19:06
I remember seeing the Lynch Dune when it was released, one of the funniest movies that year as I recall

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 20:21

I personally really like David Lynch's Dune, and the Dune books are some of my all-time favorites.  Yes, as an adaptation it's pretty poor, but on it's own I think it's excellent.  Great scenery (Giedi Prime is classic Lynch), great soundtrack, and beautifully told.  My admiration might just come from the fact that I love David Lynch, but I do think some people rate it unfairly.

Now some Dune fans are going to call me a heathen..

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 20:52
Lynch's Dune is kinda bad. Not what I envisioned at all. The sci-fi miniseries is better.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 01:25
Has anyone seen 2081 at all?  I really want to see it, as I love Kurt Vonnegut's writing.  I gather it's a pretty good film (at only 26 minutes in length) and adaptation of his short-story Harrison Bergeron.

And although I've not seen it, nobody has mentioned THX 1138.

-------------

Posted By: Matthew T
Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 01:34
I went for 2001 in the year of 2010 AD. Could have been worse ............Orwells 1984.Wink

-------------
Matt

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 01:40
Oh and although I'm not sure if it's classed as Sci-Fi, I love Threads.  It's an apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic British made-for-television film made in the early 1980s.

Very thought provoking and upsetting in places.  I'm not sure I could watch it again.

-------------

Posted By: Matthew T
Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 01:45
Remember James, Big Brother is watching Big smile John Hurt was the lead in the film

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 03:38
Originally posted by James James wrote:

And although I've not seen it, nobody has mentioned THX 1138.

that's cause it's friggin boring (I think someone has mentioned it)

Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 05:47
Originally posted by Matthew T Matthew T wrote:

Remember James, Big Brother is watching Big smile John Hurt was the lead in the film

Oh the irony of having an actor named Hurt playing Winston.
And Mr. Whipple plays Big Brother. LOL
Richard Burton's last movie.
I'm not a fan the Eurythmics, but I love their soundtrack work.  Unfortunately it was stripped out of the DVD release.  Damn movie isn't quite the same without it.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 06:11
Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

I personally really like David Lynch's Dune, and the Dune books are some of my all-time favorites.  Yes, as an adaptation it's pretty poor, but on it's own I think it's excellent.  Great scenery (Giedi Prime is classic Lynch), great soundtrack, and beautifully told.  My admiration might just come from the fact that I love David Lynch, but I do think some people rate it unfairly.

Your not a heathen. We each have our own perspective and taste and it's fine that you liked it. 

I will say that visually, Lynch's Dune looks good, though his Ornithopter's don't look like what they should, but overall I think he did capture what things might have looked like. I did like the use of actual dialogue from the book in quite a few scenes. For me their were just too many variations from the book that he really didn't even need to make. But director's all have their vision and it is a tough novel to work with-huge scope and detail.

Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 12:08
A lot of effort did go into the sets and costumes.  I'm with you on the Orinthopters, though.  Also the Guild spaceship was completely awful. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 15:22
And it is true that the Fremen were all wrong.

Posted By: NecronCommander
Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 15:24
Deafening silence from over here.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 15:40
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

Your not a heathen. We each have our own perspective and taste and it's fine that you liked it. 

I will say that visually, Lynch's Dune looks good, though his Ornithopter's don't look like what they should, but overall I think he did capture what things might have looked like. I did like the use of actual dialogue from the book in quite a few scenes. For me their were just too many variations from the book that he really didn't even need to make. But director's all have their vision and it is a tough novel to work with-huge scope and detail.

The fact that Lynch had never read the books probably didn't help him write a screenplay that followed the plot/descriptions/etc. LOL

-------------

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 16:17

That is a stance widely agreed upon, yes. 

Star Wars is clearly an ode to fantasy fiction such as Tolkein and Campbell. The only thing that makes it even remotely Science Fiction is that it takes place in space. The technology and science behind the civilizations isn't explained or even presented. The focus is on allegory almost exclusively. So yes, Star Wars is considered by many to be strictly Fantasy, not Sci-Fi.

Anywho . . . 

I picked The Matrix. I was going to go with Blade Runner, but since nobody had picked Matrix yet, I decided to show it some love. 

Posted By: Noak
Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 17:52
2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite films of all time, so that.

Date Posted: September 10 2010 at 18:19

The fact that Lynch had never read the books probably didn't help him write a screenplay that followed the plot/descriptions/etc. LOL

I had not heard that.  Probably a good thing as that likely helped it to be a totally Lynch film. Tongue

I should mention that the doomsday machine in the first Star Trek series was more convincing than the Guild ship.  William Windom's acting as Commodore Decker was kind of on par with some of the acting in Dune.  I like that episode, but where the hell did they stash Uhura?

-------------

Posted By: Westsiyeed
Date Posted: September 14 2010 at 22:48
Voted for Alien, a clear winner for me. Ridley Scott's direction and perfect casting made this such a good film.

Close runners up would be Aliens and Terminator, plus (not listed) 12 Monkeys and District 9.

I wouldn't really classify Star Wars as Sci-fi either (though Empire was the best of the 3).

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 15 2010 at 05:06
Blade Runner

Among the best films ever made in my opinion. Generally I'm not a big sci-fi film fan, althogun Aliens was also pretty gripping.

I used to read a lot of sci-fi as a teenager, and always felt that the stroies rarely translated well to screen.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: September 16 2010 at 06:45
Alien is a good film and I love Ridley Scott's work. That said, I find Alien more of a horror/monster movie set in the future. Still a good film with great acting and a terrific hero.

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: September 16 2010 at 07:36

I have chosen "Blade Runner" - It is a sci-fi film that made a huge impression on me and still does - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director. "2001- A Space Odyssey" is equal best - still looks great today and like all great sci-fi movies, leaves much to ponder and debate. Though "District 9" is not on the list, I add this thoughtful film directed by Peter Jackson (The Lord of The Rings Trilogy) to my top 5 all time great Sci-fi movies.

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: Deleuze
Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 17:31
The Matrix, this movie is a piece of genius.

-------------

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: September 29 2010 at 07:46

My vote is for Aliens, a great story, tension, action and humour too.  I'd still watch it every week.

However Freide has mentioned a real classic here.  Phase IV is a brilliant film, extremely tense, utterly compelling and very disturbing.  I've not seen the Directors Cut either and would love to do so.

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: September 29 2010 at 17:02
I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't seen any of the Alien movies in their entirety.  That changes today as I just picked up Alien and plan on watching it tonight. Smile

Does 12 Monkeys count as sci-fi?

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: September 29 2010 at 17:26
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

I have chosen "Blade Runner" - It is a sci-fi film that made a huge impression on me and still does - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director. "2001- A Space Odyssey" is equal best - still looks great today and like all great sci-fi movies, leaves much to ponder and debate. Though "District 9" is not on the list, I add this thoughtful film directed by Peter Jackson (The Lord of The Rings Trilogy) to my top 5 all time great Sci-fi movies.

Peter Jackson did not direct District 9. Neill Blomkamp did. 

Posted By: GY!BE
Date Posted: September 29 2010 at 19:02
THE MAN FROM EARTH (if you didn't already see it go now)
Matrix
The Day the Earth Stood Still

-------------
It is all a dream, a dream in death...

Date Posted: September 30 2010 at 17:06
Originally posted by GY!BE GY!BE wrote:

The Day the Earth Stood Still

you do mean the original and not that barely watchable remake, right?

Posted By: Synchestra
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 04:56
2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favourite films ever. Its the ultimate test of someone's patience the first time they watch it, but after its over it strangely affective. Definitely voting for that one.
On a side note, I never really thought of A Clockwork Orange as a sci fi but I guess it sort of is. Man I feel like watching that now (I'm a bit of  Kubrick fan Embarrassed)

-------------
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 09:13
or

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 09:36
Ah Spaceballs! May the Schwartz be with you Lonestar.

Posted By: DeKay
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 11:03
A Clockwork Orange

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 13:04
K-Pax, Demoliton Man, Minority Report, Matrix, the New Star Trek movie is awesome, I like Avatar (not great but nether terrible), I also like Planet of the Apes (silly me),

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk