Print Page | Close Window

Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71129
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 23:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Subject: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:43
Wow, I did not expect this.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-portnoy/mike-portnoy-leaves-dream-theater/137362372974878 - http://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-portnoy/mike-portnoy-leaves-dream-theater/137362372974878

"Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write: 

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century. 

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater... 

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes.... 

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...

Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,

MP"

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: mamboboy
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:49
According to his Facebook:

Quote Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write: 

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century. 

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater... 

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"... 

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes.... 

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed. 

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...

Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,

MP

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=137362372974878 - http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=137362372974878

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:56

f**k!

NO f**kING WAY! Cry

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:56
you're SHI**ING ME...........

-------------

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:57
....................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:57
Wow, despite not being the biggest DT fan, I've always been a fan of Mike as a person, love his taste in music and humor, and his drumming is great though not a favorite of mine.

I wish him the best of luck, hope the rest of the DT guys reconcile with him.

Posted By: JonteJH
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:59
Im in tears....cant believe this is happening Unhappy.... MIKE!!!! Cry  for me Dream Theater isnt Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy........This sucksUnhappy 
MP/DT Sept 1985 - Sept 2010

-------------

http://www.lastfm.se/user/JonteJH
http://soundcloud.com/jontejh

Posted By: E-Dub
My eyes damn near shot out of my head when I read it. So glad I got to see them a couple of years ago.

E

-------------

Posted By: CCVP
I was about ot post this here.

f**k, one of the worst news EVER.

I feel so damn lucky to have seen them TWICE in my lifetime on  place they only come once every two or three years. . .

I just wish i could see them on the Octavarium tour too, but i was way too young to travel to see them.

-------------

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:01
So what's next, hanging out with mallrat poseurs like avenged sevenfold?

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:05
He is the heart and soul of Dream Theater

This band is done without him......

-------------

Posted By: irregardlessly
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:05
DT are one of the biggest reasons I am into prog.  This is shocking, but not totally out of left field I think due to the whole A7X situation.  I've been reading and everyone on the net is taking one side or the other, which is a joke to me since no one on the outside knows at this point what really happened.

Personally I think DT was in a rut and needed a change, but I'm not sure who can fill in technically for the mighty Portnoy on the drums.  I am glad I never have to listen to him yelling on a DT record again a la "A Nightmare to Remember".  :)

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:10
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

He is the heart and soul of Dream Theater

This band is done without him......

Well, IDK. Seriously. I mean, yes managed to go withouy Bill Brufford and Rick Wakeman (and Anderson).

And Mike really was the mid behind the band, maybe now they can do something that isn't the heart and soul of Portnoy, seriously. Confused

On a second thought, this may be actually good for the band.

Axiously waiting their 2011 album! Big smile

EDIT: for example, Train of Thought, Octavarium and Systematic Chaos were mainly idealized by him and Black Clouds was more like a band effort. Maybe now they can truely work as a band. And I am saying this being a true hardcore DT fan. Rawks

-------------

Posted By: emkogceo
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:12
I predict he puts out a steady stream of Phil Collins-styled pop/R&B solo albums.

-------------
www.emkog.com

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:13
I'm not the biggest DT fan but something's wrong if he thinks Avenged Sevenfold and Transatlantic are a step up.

Whether the next DT record will suck is something we can't possibly comment on until we've heard it.

Posted By: NecronCommander
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:15
Holy crap, this is very abrupt and very unexpected.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:15

This is seriously the worst thing in the history of music for me...

I hope the other guys can go on without him, but I really don't know... he practically WAS the band.

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:16
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

You've obviously never heard of 1989.

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:17
ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

-------------

Posted By: Iamthewalrus
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:18
Confused........

Posted By: Alyosha
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:19
Screw Portnoy. He was ruining the band with his grunting on BC & SL anyway. They will be better without him.

-------------
It truly makes the most beautiful music...

Posted By: VanVanVan
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:19
Wow...

This is pretty shocking to me. I'm glad I got the opportunity to see them live twice at both Prog Nation 08 and 09... This might not be such a terrible thing though. Mike will have the opportunity to do some more new things and DT might go in an entirely new (and possibly improved) direction. Que sera sera I suppose...

-------------
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:21
I felt this band was above all this band breaking up ****

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Didn't see that coming.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Fine, I'll rephrase it. Worst thing I've been alive for.

And Walter, I appreciate the humour in your posts at time but honestly, I don't find this a good time. So with all due respect, GTFO. Smile

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:22
I kind of hope that when the band rebounds, they go back to their 90s style material. That would be great.

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:23
Maybe if Dream Theater gets Virgil Donati they will be OK......

-------------

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:23
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I'm not the biggest DT fan but something's wrong if he thinks Avenged Sevenfold and Transatlantic are a step up.

Whether the next DT record will suck is something we can't possibly comment on until we've heard it.

It's a step up for his happiness, that's the important thing.

Not a DT fan but this news still surprised me.

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:24
Originally posted by VanVanVan VanVanVan wrote:

Wow...

This is pretty shocking to me. I'm glad I got the opportunity to see them live twice at both Prog Nation 08 and 09... This might not be such a terrible thing though. Mike will have the opportunity to do some more new things and DT might go in an entirely new (and possibly improved) direction. Que sera sera I suppose...

I wish I had the oportunity to see them on ProgNation, though. I mean, if their solo tours were already killers, I can only imagine how the ProgNation gigs were! Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:26
I never got the chance to see them. You guys are lucky.

C'mon DT, get Mike Mangini! LOL

(anyone else notice that my comments are getting less and less mournful?)

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:26
Whoa.
I would never thought it would be Portnoy who would up and leave.

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:29
Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

Whoa.

Same here.

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:31

The happier you are on the outside, the empitier you are on the inside. Every smile carries the weight of pain and disguises the turmoil in your soul. Big smile

Just kidding, you will get over it.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:32
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

Whoa.

Same here.

So, this means you will make some apologetic reveiw about Black Cloudsgiving it a perfect 5? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:34
I can't bring myself to listen to Avenged Sevenfold- DAMN this better not be about $$$................

-------------

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:36

LOL

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:38

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think this might actually be a really good thing. I mean, Mike has certainly shown that he can make great music outside of DT, and the last time Dream Theater had a major personnel change they put out scenes from a memory... So history suggests that there will be a lot of great music coming from both Mike and the rest of the band.

-------------

Posted By: sirfragalot86
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:39
Personally I was shocked but not surprised it happened. I mean to me personally Portnoy always had this idea of wanting to be known as the greatest drummer ever. I guess now after playing with A7X it could be he found his gateway to be able to drum wherever he wants.

Although I am happy about this because I know DT will find a replacement and I personally think Portnoy secretly ran DT and tried to get DT to sound more new metal to get fans.

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:40
Originally posted by VanVanVan VanVanVan wrote:

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think this might actually be a really good thing. I mean, Mike has certainly shown that he can make great music outside of DT, and the last time Dream Theater had a major personnel change they put out scenes from a memory... So history suggests that there will be a lot of great music coming from both Mike and the rest of the band.
Yeah. Part of me hopes they go back to focusing more on prog than metal. Since MP led them into metal, this might happen.

Posted By: athanatos
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:41
this is so bad, the band that changed my appreciation about music (and get me into prog) has lost  hes  most important member. probably this will led the band to a period of renovation.... or just make them split the group.

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:43
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

I can't bring myself to listen to Avenged Sevenfold- DAMN this better not be about $$$................

Portnoy was intreasingly goining in that direction. I mean, come on, using Slipknot as influence for Dream Theater albums? SERIOULY man!

I don't think it is about cash. Maybe it is just that the guys at A7x can massue his ego some way the guys at DT can't. They are young and he is one of their idols, so they just STFU and listen what he has to say and DO exactly what he says (probably).

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:45
Walter, just so you don't feel bad (like that would ever happen), I appreciate your humour at a time like this.

Hopefully they get someone with a tolerable snare tone this time 'round.  Although that still won't likely make me start listening to DT again

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:46
Surprising

Also ALL OF MY RAGE

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:47

You mean when great new genres like grunge came to exist? Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:49
I like Mike.  I like Dream Threater.  I'm not too concerned about his leaving.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Area
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:50

Today is a bad day for progessive music...

-------------
"And in the end,
the love you take
is equal to the love you make."
(Paul McCartney - Beatles)

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:55
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

how so?

-------------

Posted By: omardiyejon
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:56
wow as a big dream theater fan, i can't say that i'm sorry about this break up. of course this is a strange feeling that thinking dream theater without portnoy, but not a sad one Smile

if dream theater decides to go on, i hope they will agree with a drummer who has jazzy influences in his drumming. i don't know, like nick d'virgilio style drummers. this may be the kind of addition to the band that will possibly take dream theater back to the 'progressive rock' years. 

-------------
http://www.normalisr.com/?username=omardiyejon" rel="nofollow - http://www.normalisr.com/?username=omardiyejon

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:59
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

how so?

Well, um...

I like Mike because he's a talented drummer, and I do actually like his singing.

I like Dream Theater because they are an amazing progressive metal band.

And I'm not too concerned about his leaving because if what he says is true, then he shouldn't be in Dream Theater anymore anyway.  Why should a guy stay in something he doesn't want to stay in?  Just to make you and other people happy?  He's a grown man.  Let him do what he wants.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Tarquin Underspoon
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:02
I hear Bill Bruford's available....Wink

In all seriousness, though, I'm intrigued to see where both parties go after this. I'm optimistic that DT will return to an "older" sound, and I'm curious to see where Mike's gut leads him musically. However, what happens to my beloved Prog Nation?

-------------
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky

Posted By: punxycpa
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:03
Shocking news, no doubt. But I must agree with those who've said this could be a really good thing for the band as a whole. Portnoy said he put his whole self into DT 24/7/365, but with all the side projects he does and has done over the last decade or more, I don't think he has. And just to know there will never be another DT album will Portnoy's growling on it is a welcome relief.

Posted By: TheCaptain
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:07
Balls.

-------------
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Posted By: Dorsalia
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:13
Wow.

-------------
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
*Sniff*  Cry 

WAAAHH!!!!

Sorry.  I couldn't help myself.  Ah well.

So now what?  A new drummer for DT?  I can hardly imagine who could replace Mike.  But let's just wait and see.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: GY!BE
Sad but he might come back because on facebook he says "take a break"...for me DT is dead whithout Portnoy he was the heart of the band...

-------------
It is all a dream, a dream in death...

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:14
I vote Marco Minnemann

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:18
Originally posted by Mr. Maestro Mr. Maestro wrote:

*Sniff*  Cry 

WAAAHH!!!!

Sorry.  I couldn't help myself.  Ah well.

So now what?  A new drummer for DT?  I can hardly imagine who could replace Mike.  But let's just wait and see.

Crossing my fingers for Virgil Donati..........

-------------

Posted By: spookytooth
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:21

I'm not really a big Dream Theater fan but....woah. This is pretty big news in the prog world. I didn't really care for what DT produced after Train of Thought (listened to their new album, didn't like it at all), though. I do wish to see what Mike does now. I hope he'll continue to do progressive projects, and hopefully in the future he'll distance himself from the absolutely terrible Avenged Sevenfold. I'm not as interested in what DT will do, however.

-------------

Would you like some Bailey's?

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:22
This must be the most shoking news in music! Confused

What sh*t. I mean I´m really into DT anymore... but DT without Portnoy? That just makes me kinda sad...

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:29

C'mon DT! Get Pickles the Drummer!

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:30
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

This must be the most shoking news in music! Confused

What sh*t. I mean I´m really into DT anymore... but DT without Portnoy? That just makes me kinda sad...
I've never even listened to DT, but I still can't deny that this is pretty huge news for the Prog world.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:38
John Langell anyone?

Shame he wants to spend time with family.

Or not shame.

Wow I'm a bad person.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: omardiyejon
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:41
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

John Langell anyone?

Shame he wants to spend time with family.

Or not shame.

Wow I'm a bad person.

langell is a great drummer and you are bad Smile

-------------
http://www.normalisr.com/?username=omardiyejon" rel="nofollow - http://www.normalisr.com/?username=omardiyejon

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:43

Fine, I'll rephrase it. Worst thing I've been alive for.

And Walter, I appreciate the humour in your posts at time but honestly, I don't find this a good time. So with all due respect, GTFO. Smile

Clap

I cannot believe this is happening...to think that today, I wore my DT shirt Dead

I probably cursed it Ouch

I sure hope they can resolve their differences but right now, time will determine, so we must be patient.

I was also hoping they'd tour next year...

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 21:56
This legitimately makes me sad. Wow.

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:05
Hey why not go after Chris Maitland ex of Porcupine Tree; would be very interesting

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:06
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

This legitimately makes me sad. Wow.

It is kind of the end of an era...

Regardless what happens from this point DT will never be the same. 

-------------

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:18
MEGATON

Seriously, i did not see this coming at all.

Mike's probably my favorite member of Dream Theater and one the better modern drummers. Wish him the best of luck with whatever he's got coming up!

I'm definitely in agreement with Mike that Dream Theater probably need a break.

As far as hypothetical replacement drummers go... how about Gene Hoglan?

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:29
^ Wow quite a shock

Free therapy sessions next door>>>>

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Xanatos
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:38
I am not a DThead but this is a really sad new to the prog community , this is just bad

Posted By: Battlepriest
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:42
Wow. Did anyone else expect that when this finally happened (another DT member leaving)  it would have been James LaBrie instead? (I don't remember BC&SL containing a bonus disc where you add the drum parts, after all.)

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:42
Originally posted by Xanatos Xanatos wrote:

I am not a DThead but this is a really sad new to the prog community , this is just bad

sorry...

party is at Micky's house...  Rawks

most creative way to destroy a DT CD will get you a doorprize!

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sorry...

Can I go to the party? I can always bring my cats over. . . .Rawks

-------------

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:45

sorry...

LOL 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 22:49
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

sorry...

LOL 

Wink  I have a BS in creative CD destruction

With honors

with a minor in CD abuse of groups and albums that displease me

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 23:04
Originally posted by Battlepriest Battlepriest wrote:

Wow. Did anyone else expect that when this finally happened (another DT member leaving)  it would have been James LaBrie instead? (I don't remember BC&SL containing a bonus disc where you add the drum parts, after all.)

Me too, I even almost was hoping for LaBrie to leave. But indeed Portnoy was DT. Well, I just hope it all goes for the better, I guess they really needed a change of direction already.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 23:11
Sad. 

DT is dead. Let's face it. 

Sad. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 23:15
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Sad. 

Sad. 

lol, what?

Are you serious?

-------------

Posted By: Tursake
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 23:36
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Sad. 

Sad. 

lol, what?

Are you serious?

I hope he is, cause DT without Portnoy isn't DT anymore Ouch

-------------

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 23:47
Whoa, this came out of the blue. I really can imagine his disappointment in the other guys continuing without him.

BC&SL was a huge step up from the previous two albums, so I was really interested in what they do next... and I guess I still am. This may indeed be good for everyone. Even though it's almost like Maiden continuing without Steve Harris.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Prog Leviathan
Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 23:48
I love Portnoy's body of work-- but do feel that his influence in Dream Theater is (was) reaching George Lucas levels of narcissism.  I empathize with the stresses he has been under described in his post, but feel like he would have only rail-roaded the band into oblivion if he hadn't made this decision.  I am happy he's made the right choice, and am confident that both parties will have a boost of quality to their output given fresh musicians to work with. I am more excited about Dream Theater now than I have been for years!

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 00:07
People making pronouncements about the quality of DT's future releases are just silly. YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THEM BECAUSE THEY DON'T EXIST YET. Who knows? Next record could be an absolute disaster or a magnificent triumph or never appear at all. You don't know.
But this is going to be good for their reviews. Whenever something like this happens the fanboys turn up all over the net crying and giving everything five stars.
And yeah I thought Labrie would concede defeat over his vocal difficulties, or Myung's undisguised apathy about the group's music would see him leave/replaced if anyone was going to leave, I kinda got the impression Mike lived for the band and would never leave it.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 00:15
Maybe Myung will now have a little more chance to shine, and will finally be able to do that free-form jazz exploration "Jazz Odyssey" for Dream Theater Mark II.

On another note, is it true that Christian Vander has been asked to replace Portnoy?

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 00:23
I vote Yoshimi P-We.

Posted By: AbrahamSapien
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 00:30
Man, DT was the first band I saw live, EVER.CryThey have a special place in my heart.
Hope Portnoy's doing the right decision.
Best of luck to the DT guys.

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 00:41
Actually, Mike Zonder would make a very good replacement. He's got complex grooves and challenging dynamics just like Portnoy, and at the same time, his power is different.

Mr. Portonoy - maybe we'll meet again, someday soon...

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 01:13
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Maybe Myung will now have a little more chance to shine, and will finally be able to do that free-form jazz exploration "Jazz Odyssey" for Dream Theater Mark II.

On another note, is it true that Christian Vander has been asked to replace Portnoy?

This would be so awesome that I think my head would explode just to listen to the first note this supposed band played.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 01:18

I've not liked anything much DT have done since the mighty Six Degrees album. Portnoy is a great drummer and is a big reason I love Neal Morse's solo work. I would much rather he toured with Neal but interstingly there is no mention of Neal in his statement other than Transatlantic (indirectly).

Posted By: Mr ProgFreak
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 01:43
That's a weird announcement. I can't remember any other band member who announced that he would quit later some time next year, but would stay for the recording of another album and performing another tour. That being said, maybe it is a joke - or the others decide to agree to having a break, and he decides to stay. Either way, I really don't care - they've released so many great albums over such a long time, I would be perfectly content with them calling it quits right now.

-------------
https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike" rel="nofollow - https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike

Posted By: Jon89
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 01:56
This news has ruined my day

-------------
jon 89

Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 02:41
Seen a few people talking as though DT are calling it quits or splitting- officially, this is not on the cards at the moment. For now, the band have unambiguously decided to continue without Mike. Of course it's possible that they could rethink things and fold later but for now they're definitely continuing.

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 02:53
No band has ever had a major member leave before.
Tragic

Posted By: TheClosing
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 03:00
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Like no band has ever had a major member leave before.
Tragic

I think you forgot the "like" so everyone knows you're being sarcastic. 

Posted By: Siloportem
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 03:04
A mr. R. Waters once left a certain band.

-------------
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.

Posted By: Siloportem
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 03:05
This isn't necesarily a bad thing. If the band survives, I mean the guy did a lot.
Keep in mind, they released I&W and SFAM after LaBrie and Rudess joined.
Maybe Myung will write some more lyrics always liked his songs.
And how is more Transatlantic a bad thing?

-------------
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.

Posted By: Rune2000
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 03:09
I just realized that my signed copy of Octavarium has gone up in price!

Surprised by this much sadness on this thread, it's not like someone had died and, besides, members leaving bands is a natural in the rock music industry.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 03:10
I was not very fond of their latest albums anyway so maybe that's not so bad.

Now the question is who will go more towards the metal direction or more towards the prog direction, DT without Mike or Mike without DT.

And with Mike being so used to be the star, I'm not sure it's gonna be easy for other musicians to work with him... maybe his new project will be called "Mike Portnoy's Band" ?

Posted By: John 6
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 03:19
Ringo Starr might be available, he's not doing much these days.LOL

-------------
Prog Is A Man's Best Friend.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 04:03
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

It's a step up for his happiness, that's the important thing.
Not a DT fan but this news still surprised me.

I think the $40,000 a show he's allegedly getting with AS might have something to do with his decision.

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: September 09 2010 at 04:12
Though I doubt he's a poor man to begin with, with all the international world tours and mega-selling albums of DT. I don't believe for a second that money is a factor here. 

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk