Print Page | Close Window

Cats and Guitars and Other Pets and Instruments

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Tech Talk
Forum Description: Discuss musical instruments, equipment, hi-fi, speakers, vinyl, gadgets,etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71416
Printed Date: May 12 2024 at 07:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cats and Guitars and Other Pets and Instruments
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Subject: Cats and Guitars and Other Pets and Instruments
Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 21:32
OK my cat Squeaky has recently started coming into the music room and messing with the ends of the three bass strings on my beat up old Yamaha classical guitar.  I'm talking about the ends where the strings are tied off at the bridge.  I didn't cut them too neat.  But rather than rubbing on them, she bites at the ends.  If I improvise something on it in her cat voice range, she really seems to like it.  

So for those of you that play or even if you just play recorded music, do you have any interesting pets/music interactions to share?

It seems like this has been brought up before but I couldn't locate it and I'm not sure if Tech Talk is the best place to do this thread...

I quit playing.  She's still in the room and now facing away from me but not messing with the guitar.  LOL

I have a cat audience apparently.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Replies:
Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 21:47
No music, but my cat Tunces used to drink my beer.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 21:55
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Tunces the driving cat!!!????

-------------

Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 21:56
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Tunces the driving cat!!!????

Our Tunces looked just like Toonces, but my wife hated the latter spelling.

Cat's middle name became Alkie, btw.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 21:57
Well, after a Google image search, our Tunces looks absolutely nothing like Toonces the driving cat.  That's memory for you.

f**k it, I liked the name.

-------------

Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 22:22
Thanks for the Toonces clip. Big smile
Long time, no see.

Wait a second, you had a cat with a middle name (which presumes a last name)????

I'm afraid this thread may be moved to the fun section, but I was being totally serious.   We have a lot of cat lovers on this site and some musicians and I am curious about how your animals react.  The dog in that Pink Floyd video comes to mind...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: September 17 2010 at 23:24
I remember my friend's cat reacting strongly to some Jimi Hendrix, but then most things react strongly to Hendrix

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: September 18 2010 at 00:47

My cats do like to walk up and down ( or is it for them down and up) the keyboard.  I rarely leave the guitar out of it's case, which is impenetrable, which now I've said that one of those beasts will figure a way to open it up and get in and puke on it or some such. 

Musically, they have their preferences.  I have no idea what their hearing range is, but they do seem to enjoy bass heavy music.  I suppose that's a virtual petting, when the fur is being moved.  And they seem enjoy prog or I suppose they enjoy evem Mouth and MacNeil if they are sitting on the lap and that's what's playing.  Lulu is enjoying Bloody Well Right even now.  Max prefers Formentera Lady.

They are more or less lovable idiots:  Max, Fritz, Lulu, Shadow aka The Shadman.  No I'm not an old lady who collects cats, but my wife is getting there, and she ain't around tonight and I have the music cranking Rawks

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: September 24 2010 at 10:30
When I used to have Hammond lessons, I could guarantee just as I was playing one of my homework pieces to the tutor, one of my cats would decide to join in by walking up & down the keys...

...still, helped to hide the odd bum note

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: September 24 2010 at 10:36
My cat Sparky appears to love the voice of Ian Gillan for some reason. He also displays a fondness for Arthur Brown and somewhat dissapointingly,  the singer in Mrs L's favourite band (Smokie Wacko)

Veterinary science has failed us gentlemen....

-------------

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 13:46
Contrary to all of you, cat lovers... my dog react when I put some Alux Nahual records on the stereo. Hi likes the tom drums and the progressive parts...

Then, I don't aloud any other living creature to play with my instruments... so, no pet interactions with my stuff...

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 18:47
Cat lovers, I warn you. If you have amps with covered with carpet, them kittehs probably will use it as a scratch post.
BTW, my cousin's 17 year old cat or something pissed on his amp with that carpet cover, the smell just won't leave even after using thousands of chemichal stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 19:39
Cat urine has to be one of the most vile things I've ever smelled.  LOL

-------------

Posted By: Jörgemeister
Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 08:17

and

-------------
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: October 29 2010 at 13:33
My animals go absolutely nuts when I play harmonica.  Specifically my dog, but also my cats.

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 21:14
My cat likes to type at the keyboard when he thinks I'm not around Smile

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 03:19
Nora, the piano playing cat:

And this one is the best: Nora as soloist in the especially written for het "Catcerto".

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 07:38
Toonces the playing cat, the cat who could play a piano! LOL

They're just lucky the cat couldn't play the piano off a cliff. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: NecronCommander
Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 11:11
If I ever would pluck a string on my guitar or play a key on the piano loudly, one of my cats would start meowing oddly and making these weird clicking noises.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 20:36
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

If I ever would pluck a string on my guitar or play a key on the piano loudly, one of my cats would start meowing oddly and making these weird clicking noises.

If they make weird clicking noises they might not be cats but aliens. Wink

If they start making beep beep noises, run away as fast as you can.

-------------

Posted By: Mifesto
Date Posted: November 17 2010 at 20:00
I have this old beat up guitar in my bedroom that doesn't have any strings on it and my cat used to sit in it with his head still protruding. Each time it would do this it would get stuck and begin meowing like some sort of banshee or something. And unfortunately this banshee scream while in the guitar was much better sounding than the guitar itself sounded.LOL

Date Posted: November 17 2010 at 20:35
Originally posted by Mifesto Mifesto wrote:

I have this old beat up guitar in my bedroom that doesn't have any strings on it and my cat used to sit in it with his head still protruding. Each time it would do this it would get stuck and begin meowing like some sort of banshee or something. And unfortunately this banshee scream while in the guitar was much better sounding than the guitar itself sounded.LOL

You invented The Cat Guitar.  Adrian Belew would be impressed. LOL

Posted By: Pastor Rex Cat
Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 18:27
I take an automatic pencil, a ball point pen and create my own pets with musical instruments on paper.

This is Brother Blackie at The Iron Butterfly Ballroom & Worship Center.

The design is based on, or coppied from, the power core of a deep space vessel called the Event Horrizon.
The name of a sci-fi horror movie. Cool

-------------
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!

Date Posted: February 12 2011 at 15:31
I was checking to see if we had a generic cat discussion thread here since we appear to have more than a few pet cat lovers and it had gone dormant after 2006, which I find kind of odd considering.  So I'm not sure who to address this request to and since my thread here is still active...   I'd like to request a reactivation of the original thread from the first admin that comes along. 

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 23:45
Slarti, many of us are cat lovers.  To get traction, I'm thinking you need a sad and/or uplifting cat story.  So here's a sad AND uplifting cat story.

I had to put our old pal Max down in January, after 19 years.  I suppose he's in a better place now, though the Earth treated him pretty well.  He was a good cat, albeit with an annoying tendency to puke frequently (birds will do that to the GI tract).  Whatever, we tend to put up with rude behavior in this house, clean it up, and move on.

Max was also the most intelligent animal I've ever known (and we've had many), just wicked smart.  He was being annoying one day.  I sez, "Max, leave me alone and go find a mouse" and tossed him outside.  Five minutes later he's at the door, with a mouse.  This happened frequently.

Many a bird (like one a day) met its end with Max.  He got a taste of the other side of that a couple of years ago, when he was in the jaws of a coyote until my wife got involved and said coyote decided to just go ahead and leave, minus Max.  That was probably his ninth life, what with the punture wounds.  I oughtta post a photo; he was quite professorial in his demeanor and was a good and dear friend, until the very end.  My son and I took him to the vet that last day, about a month ago.  She (the vet) knew him well, and asked if the gloves and towels and sedatives would be necessary, it being Max.  I said, no, I don't think he's got any fight left in him, and he did not.  We sent him on his way.

Some of our cats, at the end, I have whispered to them.  "You are going to a place where you will catch birds every day and when you are done you will bask in the sun."  (I don't know what bird owners say, probably the opposite.)  With Max, I could not offer much in terms of the afterlife, as he had it all here, for 19 years.  Maybe we should all take a lesson from this.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 19:18

-------------

Posted By: Rottenhat
Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 13:07
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Awesome. Absolutely frigging awesome :) Thank you Slartibartfast for that, you made my day :)

-------------
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 13:38

Way back in the dark distant 1974 or there abouts my Dad kept canarys, four of which had beatle moptops not unlike this one:

(not one of ours - a stock photo from the webs, but remarkably similar if memory serves me right) - needless to say these four birds were christened Mick, Keith, Bill and Charlie (such was my old man's warped sense of humour). Anyway, one of them use to go absolutely bloody mental whenever I played side one of Tubular Bells (it went quite quiet during side two for some unknown reason, then who doesn't) - Dad would swear blind that it could recognise the album cover so whenever I went to play it and would start ruffling its feathers before even the first note was played, then sing its little heart out for the next 25 minutes. We tried it on other instrumental album like Clearlight Symphony, Hergest Ridge and Mathematicians Air Display and it wasn't interested.

But as for our cats - nothing - they don't care for music - one tom cat sprayed my LP collection once - luckily Tom Petty took the major brunt of the attack - he¹ lost his nuts for that (he spray I spay).

/edit: ¹ ...the cat lost its nuts, not Tom Petty... just thought I'd clear that up incase there's any confusion.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 19:15
I've had pet cats, dogs, hamsters, tropical fish, but never a cute little birdie. Big smile

Originally posted by Rottenhat Rottenhat wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Awesome. Absolutely frigging awesome :) Thank you Slartibartfast for that, you made my day :)
I can't take credit for that.  I was searching for an active cat thread and it was the last post before it went dormant.  Made my day, too.

-------------

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: February 18 2011 at 01:14
I've heard that a lot of cats are deeply attached to violins.

Posted By: NecronCommander
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 03:44

-------------

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 04:03
I Use to have a Watkins Copy Cat

-------------

Posted By: pammiwhammi
Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 12:39
Ani Lint liked to sleep on my guitars...

-------------
"I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress..."

Posted By: Cameron Brennan
Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 21:18
One of my dogs Ted absolutely loves it when i'm drumming.  In my old house where he had almost free rein of the entire place, he would quite often run in and try and bite my bass drum beater as I was playing!  He would also just like sitting in the room and digging the frequencies I guess!

The funniest thing he did though was when I was doodling around with a synth.  I had some funny beeping sound going on and he ran in from inside and proceeded to howl like a wolf.  I've only heard him howl about 3 times in his life - he's 8.  It cracked me up that's for sure!!

-------------
www.meniscusband.com
www.youtube.com/user/meniscusmusic

Date Posted: March 05 2011 at 22:24
An important lesson for any aspiring musician.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2011 at 18:42

-------------

Posted By: sturoc
Date Posted: December 11 2011 at 10:52
When i was a teenager hangin down in my basement room practicing one night. Our cat who was in heat ( I didn't know it at the time ) came in i was sitting on the floor playing my Jazz Bass. He slowly walked over to me, turned around and sprayed right onto my hand + the pickups as I was playing!
I was in a state of shock and the smell Hooo Boy !
I booted him out and quickly pulled the strings off removed the pickups and thoroughly disinfected and dried them with a blow dryer. Thank God for the wax type covering on the windings! So no damage
That cat never visited the basement again.

Date Posted: December 11 2011 at 12:39
Cat urine, the gift that keeps on giving. DeadLOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2011 at 21:44

-------------

Posted By: pitfall
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 17:53
Our house rabbit Bunjamin (that's really him over to the left) would always come into the room and run round and round me whenever I was playing something good. Sadly, he became ill and died a couple of years ago, and since then I've never been able to tell if any of the stuff I come up with is great, or whether it stinks. Objectivity is the biggest problem of the solo artiste.

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 20:01
Originally posted by pitfall pitfall wrote:

Our house rabbit Bunjamin (that's really him over to the left) would always come into the room and run round and round me whenever I was playing something good. Sadly, he became ill and died a couple of years ago, and since then I've never been able to tell if any of the stuff I come up with is great, or whether it stinks. Objectivity is the biggest problem of the solo artiste.

Hey, it was obviously appealing music to a rabbit. Big smile   If he'd had leapt up and bit your head off, then it would have been cause for concern.

-------------

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 23:24
My dog's favorite song is "By-Tor and the Snow Dog."

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: July 15 2012 at 02:51
Can anyone identify the artist in this one?
Description: No cats were spun around in the making of this video.

-------------

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: August 02 2012 at 11:30
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

When I used to have Hammond lessons, I could guarantee just as I was playing one of my homework pieces to the tutor, one of my cats would decide to join in by walking up & down the keys...

...still, helped to hide the odd bum note

Looks like I'm not the only one...

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: deafmoon
Date Posted: September 05 2013 at 14:45
My dog used to nap when I played my xylophone. I used to read Bach violin pieces and play them on Xylophone or Marimba for school studies back then. He would relax in the room on the rug and just nod off.  A few times I would find him sleeping between my bass drum foot pedal and snare stand also, but I always exited him when I moved to sticks. You can kill a dogs hearing on drums.  

-------------
Deafmoon

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: September 05 2013 at 15:00
Every single one of my goldfish always used to upside down when I played Ke$ha on the stereo.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 22:37
I was whistling Supper's Ready to my avatar cat and he was just captivated. He would pat my mouth several times like he just couldn't believe that sound was coming out of my mouth.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk