Print Page | Close Window

Dark Side vs. Sgt. Pepper

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71700
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 02:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dark Side vs. Sgt. Pepper
Posted By: Luna
Subject: Dark Side vs. Sgt. Pepper
Date Posted: September 27 2010 at 21:16
Hopefully a poll that hasn't been made before, which one do you think is better? And I am not asking about influence, but simply which album, on it's own, is better.

Replies:
Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: September 27 2010 at 21:23
I'm going for Sgt. Pepper; yeah DSOTM is more progressive but I've always been a closet Beatles freak Besides Sgt. Pepper contains one of my favourite songs ever - A Day in the Life!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Synchestra
Date Posted: September 27 2010 at 22:17
Dark Side of the Moon. Good poll idea though, both highly influential (and experimental) albums that have strong fan bases.

-------------
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 27 2010 at 22:35
Dark Side all the way.

Posted By: sarge
Date Posted: September 27 2010 at 23:56

Honestly, i find Sgt. Peppers to be one of the worst Beatle's albums (my username has no relation). Never understood the fascination.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: September 27 2010 at 23:59
Pepper all the way.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 00:16

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 00:17
Neither.

Posted By: spookytooth
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 00:30
Dark Side....that album has had a much bigger impact on my life than Sgt. Peppers. There aren't many songs that can beat Time, in my opinion.

-------------

Would you like some Bailey's?

Posted By: cohen34
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 01:22
Dark Side for sure. A better concept album and better production.

-------------
Life is short, the art is long - Hippocrates

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 01:24
Obscure Exposure Of The Orb.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 01:44
Dark side for me, I find Pepper a little twee......I much prefer Abbey Road.

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 02:38
Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

Dark side for me, I find Pepper a little twee......I much prefer Abbey Road.
Same here. If it was Abbey Road I could have had a doubt.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 02:57
Two excellent albums, but I have to vote for Dark Side of the Moon.

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 03:03

Dark Side, but good idea for a poll.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 03:07
Wow, that was easy.  DSOTM by several parsecs.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 03:47
DSOTM. 

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 04:35
My preference in order for the tracks on the two albums is as follows:

Day in the Life
Us and Them
Speak to Me/Breathe/On the Run/Time
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Within You Without You
Great Gig in the Sky
Sgt Pepper
Money
Getting Better
For the Benefit of Mr Kite
Fixing a Hole
With a Little Help from My Friends
Any Colour You Like
She's Leaving Home
Good Morning Good Morning
Lovely Rita
When Im 64

The first 4 tracks on DSOTM have to be considered as a single track IMO.

She's Leaving was a nice song but totally out of place on Sgt Pepper.
Good Morning was just a filler
Lovely Rita and When I'm Sixty Four are not at all good.

The last four Pepper tracks listed could have been held over for the White Album and replaced on Pepper with Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and It's All Too Much. It would then have provided a serious challenge to DSOTM.

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 06:44
Sgt. Pepper for me. Both are great albums, but for me I'll always feel that the Beatles laid the ground work for much of the music that followed and Sgt. Pepper was one of their, if not, their most influential album.

I like DSOTM quite a bit, but IMHO, it's not even their best album or that progressive.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 07:09
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

The last four Pepper tracks listed could have been held over for the White Album and replaced on Pepper with Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and It's All Too Much. It would then have provided a serious challenge to DSOTM.
Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever were the first 2 tracks recorded for Sgt Pepper but were taken off when the record label asked for a single!

Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 07:33
Wow, Pink Floyd is just crushing, I guess that's what you expect when you put this poll on a prog website Tongue

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 12:04
Dark Side.  While not as influential as Sgt. Pepper's overall, it has aged better.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 12:17
Originally posted by SolarLuna96 SolarLuna96 wrote:

Wow, Pink Floyd is just crushing, I guess that's what you expect when you put this poll on a prog website Tongue

I so thought that Sgt. Pepper would take it, if only for the Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees movie soundtrack. ;)  Some might rake me over the coals for this, but I don't think of Dark Side of the Moon as that Prog.  I consider earlier albums to be more in the progressive rock vein such as Atom Heart Mother (which happens to be my favourite Floyd studio album, particularly for the suite).

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 13:11
Sgt. Pepper has an excellent production, and for its time it was groundbreaking, but Dark Side is better: the production is also very good, there's a more unifying concept that on Pepper, which is amazing in itself, and the standard of compositions is higher.

So it is Dark Side Of The Moon for me.

Posted By: Lozlan
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 13:47
I love The Beatles as much as the next excruciatingly-influential-masterpiece-proto-prog-fan, but Dark Side is a much more complete whole.  There are several tracks on SP that make me cringe (primarily the McCartney contributions - whoda thunkit??); When I'm 64 drags the album down a notch all by its lonesome.  Now, a poll comparing Dark Side and Abbey Road...that would be a harder call...

-------------
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

http://scottjcouturier.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle

Posted By: GY!BE
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 17:27
Dark Side by far.

-------------
It is all a dream, a dream in death...

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 21:17
Dark Side.  

While I think it's overrated and that they have better albums, I've absolutely NEVER seen whats so special about Sgt Pepper.  Its a collection of two minute pop songs...theres some catchy parts, but the only part worth anything to me is A Day in the Life.

Oh, and Dark Side is produced by Alan Parsons, which means its about as gentle on the ears as music can be.

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: Follix
Date Posted: September 28 2010 at 23:24
Dark side, that keyboard/organ sound combined with guitar/slide guitar on Breathe comes from another world.

Posted By: esky
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 16:44
Unfortunately, some of DSOTM drags a bit. Can't say that for SPLHCB, although LITSWD isn't exactly a favorite among those tunes. I'll give it to the Fabs.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 03:17
Dark Side of the Moon in this case.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: pied piper
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 03:40
Sgt. Pepper, I've no doubt.

I like Pink Floyd, but not Dark Side onward. There's only Great gig. The other stuff is not so good, IMHO.
But "tastes are tastes", an italian proverb.

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 03:42
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

I've absolutely NEVER seen whats so special about Sgt Pepper.  Its a collection of two minute pop songs...
OMG... do you think that A day in the life is a "two minute pop song"? Dead

Posted By: MonsterMagnet
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 13:12
I support the Sergeant Pepper (I'm member of the club)

Posted By: Matthew T
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 14:28
You know I love the Beatles but I went for Darkside Hug There has akways been a copy at my place whether it be a record or cd and it was one of the first cds I bought when that fotmat came out.

-------------
Matt

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 14:33
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Neither.

Horsekrapp!!!!!!!! Shocked U have to pick one.... "Mr I don't listen to anything past 1978 because its all krapp".....

-------------

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 15:50
Dark Side. I do not like The Beatles.

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 16:54
dark side gets my vote, sgt pepper is great but have aged badly compered to floyd, if they hade put peny lande and strawberry fileds on the album it might have been closer the album lacks some real highlights i think, i dont undersant why they culdent have the song on the album yust caus they put em out as singles... the old music buisnies was a bit wierd, now days they always have the popular song on the albums dont they? whatever...

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 17:00
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Neither.

Horsekrapp!!!!!!!! Shocked U have to pick one.... "Mr I don't listen to anything past 1978 because its all krapp".....

Shocked It used to be post '89, does this mean that Walter has regressed? Anyway, either way it's irrelevant to his disdain for these albums.

-------------

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 19:11
Not even close. TDSOTM craps all over SPLHCB.

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 19:37
Dark Side, simply due to it's perfect flow. 

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 21:31
Pink Floyd great and at their best
The Beatles average, even at their best

-------------

Time always wins.

Posted By: JakoCba
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 22:03
TB forever

-------------
I don't have lastfm sorry :)

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 22:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Neither.

Shocked It used to be post '89, does this mean that Walter has regressed? Anyway, either way it's irrelevant to his disdain for these albums.

I dont think he remembers....
LOL

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 07:14
My collection wouldn't be complete without both of these.  I voted for the underdog.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: VanVanVan
Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 07:52
I love the Beatles and Sgt. Pepper's is a great album, but I have to vote for Dark Side. It's a stronger album on the whole.

-------------
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen

Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 10:47
Originally posted by JakoCba JakoCba wrote:

TB forever

What, the disease?

Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 14:34
Originally posted by Matthew T Matthew T wrote:

You know I love the Beatles but I went for Darkside Hug There has akways been a copy at my place whether it be a record or cd and it was one of the first cds I bought when that fotmat came out.

Fantastic! Thanks for informing one and all on how you've  kept music around at your house, be it on record or CD, through the years. Absolutely informative. I admire you.

Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 14:43
Originally posted by esky esky wrote:

Fantastic! Thanks for informing one and all on how you've  kept music around at your house, be it on record or CD, through the years. Absolutely informative. I admire you.

I presume you're being sarcastic, but I can't quite fathom why. Perhaps because Matthew did not explain why he finds/ believes Dark Side of the Moon better? Various people here haven't been very informative in the posts when it comes to answering the original post's question.Or maybe it's just a stab at humour that failed to make humourless me ROTFL.  Perhaps Matthew will giggle at least

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 14:54

Well thank you , much appreciated Sleepy

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 14:55

I presume you're being sarcastic, but I can't quite fathom why. Perhaps because Matthew did not explain why he finds/ believes Dark Side of the Moon better? Various people here haven't been very informative in the posts when it comes to answering the original post's question.Or maybe it's just a stab at humour that failed to make humourless me ROTFL.  Perhaps Matthew will giggle at least
You get used to it Logan LOL

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 15:05

You get used to it Logan LOL

I just noticed that you're both Matthews, so I guess I should have specified which Matthew, or both, would be giggling. I now seem to remember Matthew (Esky) saying something similar about a Matthew (MT) post before -- it's like a yin and yang thing.

-------------

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 15:53

This seemed a bit uncalled for.

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 19:29

I think what he meant was Fotomat. LOL
I'm fairly sure we still had those when the CD came out, CD of course standing for Construction Document.
Just doing my part to clear things up. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 20:19
I haven't voted yet.

I'd say without Sgt. Peppers there would have been no DSOTM, as in it paved the way for a lot of great music and proved that non-traditional rock could generate a huge stream of income for the record companies, so they became inclined to sign bands like Pink Floyd.  Of course, The Beatles had been proving that for an album or two before Sgt.

It is said Sgt. Peppers brought the world (or at least those who had radios/stereos) together for at least one day in June, 1967.  On the other hand, how many years did DSOTM spend on the Billboard Top 200 album list?  Wikipedia says 741 weeks, which is a remarkable achievement regardless.  There must be something in those grooves that speaks to a good many people.

I too have never been without either.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 08:41

Sorry.

Posted By: ShipOfFools
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 09:25

I have to vote for Sgt. Pepper's. Sorry Pink Floyd.

If it was Animals, I would have changed my vote.

-------------

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 09:31
But... you forgot... Dr. Pepper! 

Posted By: halabalushindigus
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 11:06
"Dark Side" has that cool pyramid on the cover and gives gives you tingles when you put the needle to the vinyl, plus is engineered by you know who, whereas "Pepps" has a messy ensemble of dead people, is engineered by you know who, and tells me I have to go to work in a "Good Morning". Plus, on a lighter note..when Paul sings "we hope you have enjoyed the show.." I kinda wish he was dead..like he's supposed to be

-------------

assume the power 1586/14.3

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 11:46
^ it is a prism Wink 

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:08
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

But... you forgot... Dr. Pepper! 

And don't forget Sgt. Schutz...
Not that I actually know anything about that.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 12:34
Don't forget "owner of a lonely heart", too Big smile

-------------

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 13:24
Well, I'm listening to my mono copy of the album right now, so I voted for Sgt. Pepper. But only because I'm currently in a Beatles mood. Maybe another day I would have voted for Floyd. Both albums are fantastic in their own right, I cannot honestly say that one is better than the other. Both great, just different. 

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 13:52
facinating enough Pink Floyd hang around Abby Road Studios and was playing around on their debute album Piper the same time the Beatles was in the nabour room playing Pepper (if im right about this thoug)

-------------

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 13:54
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

facinating enough Pink Floyd hang around Abby Road Studios and was playing around on their debute album Piper the same time the Beatles was in the nabour room playing Pepper (if im right about this thoug)

Yes, Nick Mason gave a fairly detailed account of this in his book, ''Inside Out''. If I recall correctly, there really wasn't that much admiration or respect between the two acts until years later. At the time, it was just two groups who happened to be sharing a studio. 

Posted By: Geizao
Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 01:31

Can not find the answer.

Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 03:23
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Yes, Nick Mason gave a fairly detailed account of this in his book, ''Inside Out''. If I recall correctly, there really wasn't that much admiration or respect between the two acts until years later. At the time, it was just two groups who happened to be sharing a studio. 
There's a tape recording of very poor quality in which Syd Barrett and some of the Beatles play "What a Shame Mary Jane".  The singer is clearly Barrett.  The tape has been recorded in 1967 at Abbey Road but it's a sort of joke there wasn't a project behind, surely. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 07:01
Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

Plus, on a lighter note..when Paul sings "we hope you have enjoyed the show.." I kinda wish he was dead..like he's supposed to be

Unnecessary comment - you should be ashamed.

Posted By: ferush
Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 19:10
Two different works in spite both are prog. DSOTM is a very musical album but one of its main feature is its experimentation towards sounds only that appear disordered some times. However SPLHCB also is very musical and experimental album but shows a mature music group that uses sole sounds with care and wisdom.

Posted By: Floydman
Date Posted: October 09 2010 at 16:31

Dark Side.  

While I think it's overrated and that they have better albums, I've absolutely NEVER seen whats so special about Sgt Pepper.  Its a collection of two minute pop songs...theres some catchy parts, but the only part worth anything to me is A Day in the Life.

Oh, and Dark Side is produced by Alan Parsons, which means its about as gentle on the ears as music can be.

How is it just a pop album Sgt. Pepper?

I like Dark Side of the Moon better but to the Beatles credit they were going way outside the norm of rock music than what even Pink Floyd was doing in 1973. Particularly, in the aleatoric (chance) orchestral section of the “A Day in the Life” with it’s  two completely different songs, two different lead singers and two different outlooks on life by the two singers. Or the tape looped ending of voices on Sgt Pepper Inner Groove or the songs that are cross-faded into each other. I guess that technique went well in Dark Side of the Moon.

"Good Morning, Good Morning” was known for its fluctuations in meter and rhythmic patterns. Superficial" use of taped animal sounds

“Within You Without You” is a complete fusion of Classical Indian with the spirit of 1967. The calliope tape loop collage that runs through "Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite".

Date Posted: October 09 2010 at 17:34
That was a horrible movie.......why was it even turned into a movie????
Earth Wind & Fire is the only reason to sit thru it....

-------------

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 04:16

My vote goes to Sgt.Pepper.

Posted By: MonsterMagnet
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 05:08
I will never be for Dark Side... 

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 17:18
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

My preference in order for the tracks on the two albums is as follows:

Day in the Life
Us and Them
Speak to Me/Breathe/On the Run/Time
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Within You Without You
Great Gig in the Sky
Sgt Pepper
Money
Getting Better
For the Benefit of Mr Kite
Fixing a Hole
With a Little Help from My Friends
Any Colour You Like
She's Leaving Home
Good Morning Good Morning
Lovely Rita
When Im 64

The first 4 tracks on DSOTM have to be considered as a single track IMO.

She's Leaving was a nice song but totally out of place on Sgt Pepper.
Good Morning was just a filler
Lovely Rita and When I'm Sixty Four are not at all good.

Yeah i agree

my prefernece by the way using both as a top ten are

Sergeant Pepper's Dark Side of the Moon

1. A Day In the Life
2. Fixing a Hole
3. Money
4. Time
5. Great Gig in the sky
6. Within you Without you
7. Breathe (both)
8. Good morning Good morning
9. Brain Damage
10. Shes leaving Home tied with LSD

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 17:25
seen this

http://zh-cn.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131011843611010 - http://zh-cn.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131011843611010

and

Googled it

zh-cn.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131011843611010 - China - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:noreujDN99UJ:zh-cn.facebook.com/event.php%3Feid%3D131011843611010+sgt+pepper+dark+side&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au - Cached
  • http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71700&PID=3886232 - Dark Side vs. Sgt. Pepper - Page 4

7 Oct 2010 ... Poll Question: Dark Sode of the Moon or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts ... Reply · Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark Side vs. Sgt. Pepper ...
    www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71700... - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:s-CnehTuYCcJ:www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp%3FTID%3D71700%26PID%3D3886232+sgt+pepper+dark+side&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au - Cached
  • http://www.cynical-c.com/?p=13011 - Cynical-C | You Can't Please Everyone – Sgt. Pepper's Lonely ...

19 Mar 2009 ... I love the comment that Sgt Pepper (June, 1967) “ripped off” Dark Side of the Moon (March, 1973,) considering it was released six years ...
    www.cynical-c.com/?p=13011 - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hdA6hJeqtFoJ:www.cynical-c.com/%3Fp%3D13011+sgt+pepper+dark+side&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au - Cached - http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&biw=1260&bih=628&q=related:www.cynical-c.com/%3Fp%3D13011+sgt+pepper+dark+side&tbo=1&sa=X&ei=TXe7TNOQHISEvgOLyYm_DQ&ved=0CB0QHzAC - Similar
  • http://www.easystar.com/releases/show/22 - Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band | Easy Star

Dub Side of the Moon, (Easy Star's reggae tribute to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon) ... Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band feat. Junior Jazz (2:22) ...
    www.easystar.com/releases/show/22 - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zxn0IP4YHB4J:www.easystar.com/releases/show/22+sgt+pepper+dark+side&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au - Cached - http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&biw=1260&bih=628&q=related:www.easystar.com/releases/show/22+sgt+pepper+dark+side&tbo=1&sa=X&ei=TXe7TNOQHISEvgOLyYm_DQ&ved=0CCEQHzAD - Similar
  • http://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/36560 - 'Roger Waters doing 'Dark Side Of The Moon' is like Ringo doing ...

"Roger Waters doing 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' would be like Ringo performing 'Sgt. Pepper's'," declared vocalist Ben Gibbard. ...
    www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/36560 - United Kingdom - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mPqyYa9vE6YJ:www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/36560+sgt+pepper+dark+side&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au - Cached
  • http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100624072920AAEIrJj - Dark side of the moon Vs Sgt. peppers lonely hearts club? - Yahoo ...

24 Jun 2010 ... which is better? why ... My own preference is Darkside of the Moon, just simply because I don't really care much for the Beatles sound. ...
    uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid... - United Kingdom - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1Yhrqlv1BA4J:uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index%3Fqid%3D20100624072920AAEIrJj+sgt+pepper+dark+side&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au - Cached
  • http://www.suite101.com/content/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-a218958 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: The Most Overrated Album in ...

28 Mar 2010 ... Is Sgt. Pepper really better than, say, Pet Sounds, Dark Side of the ... Sgt. Pepper begins with the lively title track before giving way to ...
    www.suite101.com/.../sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-a218958 - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sJTFICntuWwJ:www.suite101.com/content/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-a218958+sgt+pepper+dark+side&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au - Cached
  • http://nation.pleaserock.com/events/pleaserock-presents-classic - PleaseRock presents Classic Albums: Dark Side of the Moon and Sgt ...

Now we're shifting gears and covering not only the entire Sgt. Pepper's album, but Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. We guarantee this first-ever ...
    nation.pleaserock.com/events/pleaserock-presents-classic - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:twYTMFau3eAJ:nation.pleaserock.com/events/pleaserock-presents-classic+sgt+pepper+dark+side&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au - Cached

• -------------

Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 17:44
    We oughta post this somewhere popular so more people can vote and we can get a better opinion of the two. Anyone know some music websites or blogs we can put this on?

P.S. Not trying to "sell out" or anything, I just want some more opinions, because those are the things that make this thread and site interesting! Big smile

-------------
    https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Jazzywoman
    Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 18:41
    DSOTM is so...rich and powerful while i find Sgt. Pepper a little flat and not as trippy.  I think my choice is obvious..lol

Posted By: The_Jester
    Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:48
    Dark Side of the Moon is more popish than Sgt. Pepper. Dark Side got some songs really similar to the White Album tough but with horrible saxophone that sounds like the 80's.

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 07:55
    Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

... with horrible saxophone that sounds like the 80's.

That saxophone is really ugly........... Dead

Posted By: rod65
    Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:44
    Sgt. Pepper. Totally subjective call.

Posted By: Prog Geo
    Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:48
    Both are great albums.But I choose Dark side of the moon.

Posted By: Peter
    Date Posted: November 19 2010 at 22:07
    Both, please.

Each has a place of honour in my collection -- why on earth would I have to choose one over the other? These rock masterpieces have totally different moods.

I'll say it again; art is not sport, or a competition. Many things are more or less equally good. We need variety. I find this "A vs B" outlook on music to be rather juvenile.

Oxygen or water? Right leg or left? Wacko

-------------
    "And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
    He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
    Date Posted: November 20 2010 at 06:44
    ^ perceptive post certainly. For me Floyd's music post Syd becomes rather irrelevant

BUT:

I think the lyrics on Dark Side of the Moon are on a par with any acknowledged instance of psychological insight vis a vis the humanoid critter in any genre of popular music. They are so confrontationally honest they hurt:

Every day is getting shorter never seem to find the time
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines

Dark Side of the Moon
    is an existentialist masterpiece albeit with a rather bland soundtrack

-------------

Posted By: steppenfloyd
    Date Posted: November 20 2010 at 12:36
    Dark Side

Posted By: halabalushindigus
    Date Posted: November 21 2010 at 09:22
    Dark Side Of The Moon didn't change the world...just sayin

-------------

assume the power 1586/14.3

Posted By: claugroi
    Date Posted: November 30 2010 at 18:27
    I think I'm a lonely sailor in this site because although I LOVE Progressive Music, The Beatles are my favourite band, and I always vote on them on every poll, even against Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant and other fantastic prog bands !

-------------
    Symphonic Prog Master

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk