Print Page | Close Window

80's Genesis vs. 80's Yes

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71875
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 21:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 80's Genesis vs. 80's Yes
Posted By: Knife
Subject: 80's Genesis vs. 80's Yes
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 11:12
Greetings,

Recently I've been listening to 80's era Genesis and 80's era Yes. What are your thoughts?

1980/81- Genesis: Duke & Abacab, Yes: Drama. Duke is probably regarded as the highpoint in the Genesis 80's catalog (although actually recorded in 1979) and Abacab still had longer songs (title track & Dodo/Luker). Drama was the most underrated Yes album IMO and has held up reasonably well over the years (Trevor Horn=awesome).

1983- Genesis: Shapes/Mama Album, Yes: 90125. Both groups officially go 'pop'. Genesis with That's All, Illegal Alien, etc. However there's the classic first side which includes Mama and Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea. Yes release their most commercially successful album with Trevor Rabin: Owner of a Lonely Heart (great video), It Can Happen, Hold On, etc. However nobody is safe in the 80's: Steve Hackett=GTR, Steve Howe=Asia/GTR, and Peter Gabriel shocks a monkey or two.

1986/87- Genesis: Invisible Touch, Yes: Big Generator. Genesis (thanks to Phil's video success) are MTV superstars (Invisible Touch, In Too Deep, Land of Confusion). Yes, not so much...but still heard on Top 40 radio with Love Will Find A Way and Rhythm of Love. Jon Anderson moves to Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe which is a step toward 'Union'.

I'm surprised by the similarities, but who do you think benefited most from the 80's (over)exposure?

Thanks,
Knife

Replies:
Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 11:18
Yes gets the credit for at least attempting to bring the prog/pop worlds together. 90125 had some very strong moments. Big Generator was revolting. Genesis had nothing for me once Hackett split.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Musician78
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 12:35

+1

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 12:40
Yes, easily.

Drama and 90125 are legitimately good albums and I say that with no caveat. never got into 80s genesis much, though Duke and Genesis I still consider highly respectable art pop albums. I'm never in the mood for them. Invisible Touch is ok (cue American Psycho monologue) but Big Generator is the better pop album.

it's funny both bands came back and made even better albums--Talk and We Can't Dance around the same time.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 12:58
It's a difficult one. As much as I prefer Genesis overall, I think Yes were slightly stronger in the 80's. Drama and 90125 are both excellent albums. Genesis only made one 'excellent' album in the 80's, and that was Duke.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 12:58

True, Yes was more genuinely "proggy" than Genesis in the 80's... but Genesis (with Phil Collins at the helm) made a better pop band than Yes did.  From a progressive rock standpoint, Yes wins easily... but from a purely objective, musical standpoint, I think Genesis was better at what they did (making pop music) than Yes was.

Just my opinion, though.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 13:03
Originally posted by Mr. Maestro Mr. Maestro wrote:

True, Yes was more genuinely "proggy" than Genesis in the 80's... but Genesis (with Phil Collins at the helm) made a better pop band than Yes did.  From a progressive rock standpoint, Yes wins easily... but from a purely objective, musical standpoint, I think Genesis was better at what they did (making pop music) than Yes was.

Just my opinion, though.

I think there was always more of a 'rock' element to Yes, which probably made that transition to a more pop sound harder for them.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 13:17
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Yes gets the credit for at least attempting to bring the prog/pop worlds together. 90125 had some very strong moments. Big Generator was revolting. Genesis had nothing for me once Hackett split.

FTW

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 13:50
Big Generator aside, I loved both of their output, although there is a health warning attached to that, in that I never regarded Drama as a true Yes album. And yes, I know, I am in a very small minority.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 14:22
Yes just released 2 pop rock albums in the 80s, if they're good or not that depends on the listener, I enjoy them for what they are. Drama on the other hand is a superb Prog Rock album that is much different from their previous Prog efforts, it incorporates some New Wave sensibilities.

Genesis did release 4 pop albums which I wouldn't consider actually pop rock if not closer to the adult contemporary music of Phil Collins in some aspects. However, Duke is superb no doubt, a rather adventurous pop album with an underlying story and great keyboard playing. Abacab, Genesis and Invisible Touch featured catchy pop singles which some I enjoy, for example Mama, That's All, Abacab, Land of Confusion..

I didn't live in the 80s so I will just give my guess.. Genesis was more popular because they were more pop in the straightest sense, Yes had guitar riffs and maybe it wasn't the 80s pop style the masses liked as much as the more light-hearted Genesis pop with Collins vocals. 

Posted By: Knife
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 16:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Big Generator aside, I loved both of their output, although there is a health warning attached to that, in that I never regarded Drama as a true Yes album. And yes, I know, I am in a very small minority.

Hmmm...to each their own. I know many fans don't consider Drama a proper Yes album, as many do not consider Calling All Stations a proper Genesis album (always tricky with swapping out a lead vocalist isn't it).

I absolutely love Drama (the only ones I like better are The Yes Album, FragileClose To The Edge & Going For the One). I still can't appreciate Tormato which I think may be Yes' weakest effort. So for me Drama was a welcome turning point. In fact, I wonder why they didn't ask Trevor Horn back for the new studio album...let's hope Benoit David can fill those shoes.

-------------
"Stand up and fight, for you know we are right. We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds." - The Knife

Posted By: b4usleep
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 16:48
They are even. They tell me nothing except Duke and Drama 

-------------
Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout.

Posted By: Lozlan
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 18:00
Ug.  I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I'd have to say Yes.  My Phil Collins hate is too deep to permit the alternative.

-------------
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

http://scottjcouturier.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 19:04

Ditto...ditto...ditto.  Well said...

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 00:15
Duke and Drama are both excellent, and I still consider them prog albums rather than pop.
After that, Abacab is decent while I really love 90125, even if it's certainly much more pop it's some of the best pop ever made. Excluding Owner of a Lonely Heart, all the other tracks are great.
All the other albums from both bands in the 80's leave me quite cold.
My best appreciation goes to Yes, although it's probably because after that period they came back to making really good proggy music, while Genesis remained doing only good pop. 

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 00:59
Neither were as good as 80's Rush, who weren't half as good as 80's Kansas.

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 01:00
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

...who weren't half as good as 80's KC

Posted By: Conor Fynes
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 01:12
YES FOR SURE.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 02:16
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

...who weren't half as good as 80's KC

Well yeah that goes without saying. Comparing anything to 80's KC is just unfair really.  (Including every other era of KC, but that's another thread.).

In terms of bands that weren't from another dimension, Power-era Kansas was probably the best 80's-era prog band.

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 06:08

There are prog elements on even the poppiest Genesis 80s albums....just think of how many people were turned on to progressive rock by picking up Invisible Touch.  They see those awful videos on MTV, go out and buy the record and end up getting into Tonight or Domino.  80s Genesis was a stepping stone to progressive rock for a lot of people.  Same can be said of Yes' 90125, but Genesis sold far more records, thus touching far more people in the 80s than Yes. 

I prefer 80s Genesis....I think Duke and Abacab are exceptional records.  Not to sl*g off 80s Yes, but Drama, while a solid album, was the blueprint for Asia (ugh!) and GTR (double ugh!).

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 13:10

This.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 14:23

Its all good, all the 80's stuff....I have no problem with groups doing this. Since prog pop music pays them much more money than prog rock music will ever pay. This is their jobs of course and they have bills to pay also.....MTV made Genesis a lot of money...again no problem in my book. MTV probably made Yes a lot of money too.......good for them!!

90125 is a great album.....I can play it from start to finish and enjoy it all. I have Big Generator too.....but prefer 90125.
They both progressed from "prog rock" to "prog pop" to get some cushion money and establish a long chain of royalty checks with 90125 and Invisible Touch......

-------------

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 14:33
Duke and Drama are really good albums IMO. Everything after that from both bands is completely awful, but the stuff from Genesis is even more disgusting. Mama, Abacab, and Invisible Touch are all unlistenable, but at least 90125 has some merit. 

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 14:38

Overall, I prefer 80s Genesis....Duke, Genesis, Invisible Touch are well-crafted albums.

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 14:48
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Duke and Drama are really good albums IMO. Everything after that from both bands is completely awful, but the stuff from Genesis is even more disgusting. Mama, Abacab, and Invisible Touch are all unlistenable, but at least 90125 has some merit. 

Without looking and comparing album sales...I feel safe to say those "unlistenable" albums made them gobs of money....It may not fit your taste or your feeling of what Genesis and Yes should have been recording in the 80's.......But I doubt Fragile or Foxtrot would have sold anything close to 90125 and Invisible Touch.
IMO its good to look at and understand why a group may have done what they did......For me I appreciate the 70's stuff they did more because of the 80s stuff.
But that is just me, I don't get stuck on a time period.....I usually listen to everything an artist records.

-------------

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 15:25
I think that generally the Genesis albums of this period are more true to their Prog roots and therefore a more rewarding listen, when comared to the Yes offerings of the same period - save for Drama where the playing is just awesome!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 21:17
Hi,

Personally, I thought that both bands were over rated by then and not worth the listen anymore ... and there was far better music out there than those two bands.

YES suffered badly from interpersonal garbage and I really feel that the music became an idea and not real anymore as it was at one time. GENESIS was just a pop band by that time with nice songs ... so what ... so does Kanye West and every other turkey out there today!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 03:27
In my mind, there isn't any doubt : Yes releases (from that era) are better than Genesis' ones.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 03:29
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Without looking and comparing album sales...I feel safe to say those "unlistenable" albums made them gobs of money....It may not fit your taste or your feeling of what Genesis and Yes should have been recording in the 80's.......But I doubt Fragile or Foxtrot would have sold anything close to 90125 and Invisible Touch.
IMO its good to look at and understand why a group may have done what they did......For me I appreciate the 70's stuff they did more because of the 80s stuff.
But that is just me, I don't get stuck on a time period.....I usually listen to everything an artist records.

I agree with virtually every point you've made on this thread, Jose, but I would take small issue regarding album sales in the 70's. Don't forget that Yes were certainly one of the biggest bands on the planet, beaten only, I think, by the likes of Led Zep, The Stones, The Who. Fragile certainly would have shifted by the truckload. In terms of Genesis, though, you are absolutely spot on - Foxtrot was not a huge seller in the UK or US on its release, and the 80's output certainly shifted by the shedload.

The important point I think we would absolutely agree on is the fundamental one, that is that there was great merit in both bands post 1980 output.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: October 05 2010 at 12:25
^ I think there was amazing merit in both post 1980.......u are right, in the UK probably much better sales than I know of.

-------------

Posted By: esky
Date Posted: October 06 2010 at 14:40
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

I'd have to say Yes.  My Phil Collins hate is too deep to permit the alternative.

You probably threw up in your mouth because of your generally bad taste.

Posted By: ShipOfFools
Date Posted: October 07 2010 at 05:42

Genesis were always my band, so of course I'm going to vote for all the Genesis albums. Wink

I think all of the 80's Genesis albums, barring Invisible Touch (maybe), were progressive. But even IT had Domino, which was a classic Genesis prog song.

So my vote goes to Genesis. 

-------------

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha

Posted By: ferush
Date Posted: October 08 2010 at 19:23

Complete 80s albums of them are good but I feel Yes more succesful in prog and experimental essence.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 19:54
None.

Except Drama

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 20:19
Neither Drama nor Duke are 80s albums.  They are 70s albums.  Geek

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 22:09
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Maybe Duke, because it was recorded in 1979......But wasn't Drama recorded on April 1980 and released August 22, 1980?

Iván 

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 22:37
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Maybe Duke, because it was recorded in 1979......But wasn't Drama recorded on April 1980 and released August 22, 1980?

Iván 

I was being a geek about the dates.  The year1980 is a part of the 1970s.  That's because we don't start the epoch on "year zero," we start on year one.  So a decade is years 1-10 (or 1971-1980).

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/mil2000.html - http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/mil2000.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_XIII#The_Gregorian_Calendar - This was a calendar reformed by a Pope, anyway.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 23:25
LOL, I knew about that and was expecting your reply, but that's not exact IMO.

1980 is part of the same decade of 1971 (eight decade of the XX Century), but you can't call 1980 as part of the 70's, but any year that ends in eighty something (including 1980) is part of the 80's, no matter to what decade of the century they belong.

In other words, the XXI Century started in 2001, but the 00's started in 2000.

Iván.

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 23:34
I like 90125, haven't got around to Big Generator yet.  Pop Genesis is not my thing. As far as I am concerned, the life was sucked out of Genesis after Hackett left. Not for any sentimental reasons, simply because he was the only interesting player in the band, apart from Collins. And Collins would play less and less like his jazz-rock monster self and more and more like...Dead.   Banks is a great composer for sure, but mind I am talking about the playing, the things that Hackett does on guitar hold your attention even where the songs may be running out of steam a bit.   Rather than BAD, pop Genesis just sounds very bland and dull to me and I feel really unable to warm up to it for that reason. Good pop is supposed to be invigorating and irresistibly catchy, not bland.  

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 04 2010 at 06:42
It's a shame both bands went in a commercial direction and didn't stick to their progressive roots, but it really was an evolve or die era.  I think the Yes hits were more proggier though, but only by a slight margin.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Mystery
Date Posted: November 04 2010 at 09:30
I have to go with Yes. Genesis's pop stuff still is pretty good, though.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: November 05 2010 at 05:01
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

It's a shame both bands went in a commercial direction and didn't stick to their progressive roots, but it really was an evolve or die era.  I think the Yes hits were more proggier though, but only by a slight margin.

AND they came back to their progressive roots in the 90's !

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: November 05 2010 at 06:06
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

LOL - if you dont like it, just dont listen to it !
Remember Philly was a force as a drummer/vocalist in both Genesis & Brand X, not to mention a ton of studio work with Fripp, Eno. and a lot of others.
Everyone seemed to love him as a person, wich in my view sound cool.

At some point in his life, he decided that he was in a position to make it big on MTV, and that it would bring in a few 100 million $ or more, giving him access to some stuff that he would otherwise not be able to do,
like getting a private Jet.

I cant understand why that would make you hate him, im sure he is a nice person. 
You can choose to only listen to the great stuff he did, you dont have to go get his worst albums. 

I dont listen to 80's Genesis/Yes so i just dont care. 
Generaly I prefer the new wave/punk bands, when i dig into the 80's, But Fripp/Crimson & Eno/Byrne did nice things in the 80's.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 05 2010 at 06:16
Cool thread

I say Yes is better due to the awful Genesis 80s output, apart from Duke that is

However Big Generator is a definitive low point for Yes...

-------------

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: November 05 2010 at 06:20
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Cool thread

I say Yes is better due to the awful Genesis 80s output, apart from Duke that is

However Big Generator is a definitive low point for Yes...

This sums it up for me too!

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: November 05 2010 at 21:45
I really love 90125, and have for years. I have more recently been listening to Drama and love that too. Big Generator isn't great, but it has some decent songs.  I never cared for 80's Genesis that much.

-------------
Z

Posted By: chrijom
Date Posted: November 07 2010 at 10:49
Duke and Abacab over Drama, 90125 instead of Genesis (shapes) and, Big Generator instead of Invisible touch.

Posted By: Frayz
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 02:34
In my opinion:

Drama > Duke
90125 > Abacab
Big Generator < Shapes
Union > Invisible Touch

Yes wins in 1980s

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 02:50
Originally posted by Frayz Frayz wrote:

In my opinion:

Drama > Duke
90125 > Abacab
Big Generator < Shapes
Union > Invisible Touch

Yes wins in 1980s

Union was released in 1991. Geek

Yes wins here for me.
Drama, 90125 and Big Generator are much better than anything Genesis did in the 80s.
Duke is great but Drama was much better (I like it more that is)

Abacab, Genesis and Invisible Touch are so uneven, I love some songs surely; but I can listen to 90125 and Big Generator without skipping any song.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 10:36
Originally posted by Frayz Frayz wrote:

In my opinion:

Drama > Duke
90125 > Abacab
Big Generator < Shapes
Union > Invisible Touch

Yes wins in 1980s

For me, Duke is above them all, really good album, I find the odd good moment on Drama, 90125, Abacap, and I can easily do without all that follow from them both. 

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 18:38
I love Drama and Duke.

You can keep all the rest.

Must be a draw.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 18:44
interesting..

Drama= Duke... Yes's 3rd best album against Genesis's best... yeah.. Yes was a better group.. so technically a draw.

Abacab = 90125  both great albums

shapes... rules over Big Generator...

so giving it to Genesis... Yes was on the decline.. while Genesis was at their best.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 19:30
They both sucked.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 19:55
I have never seen a choice that I cared less about, once you take Drama out of the equation.  I like Drama.  Otherwise meh.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 22:32
Genesis made some great songs in the 80's, even if they did some awful stuff like Ilegal Alien, Paperlate and all that. The Brazilian, Domino, Home by the Sea, Mama, Duchess, etc. are great songs.

But as far as prog bands going pop goes, Gentle Giant's "Giant for a Day" easily beats both for me.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 16:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

They both sucked.
Yeah.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 17:25
by god I do wonder how some of you all got through life.. or the 80's... 

Illegal Alien was a great song.. yeah it isn't the Mona Lisa of music.. but it was a fun pop song and few were as good at that as Genesis. Perhaps I am the odd one here.. but I'd rather hear good pop than boring prog.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 17:35
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

by god I do wonder how some of you all got through life.. or the 80's...  

I escaped the 80s by ignoring it. Compact discs were out and I replaced my albums and then started buying up folk, jazz and blues releases, and rock albums I missed the first time around from the 60s and 70s.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 17:38
ok... you are excused then... LOLThumbs Up

so what is everyone else's excuse...

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 18:49
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ok... you are excused then... LOLThumbs Up

so what is everyone else's excuse...

I wasn't alive during that time lol.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 18:54
hahaha... ok... can't not excuse that for that one. You get a get a dog ate my good musical sense excuse from me.

Poor guy... if you haven't had very naughty dreams to thoughts of Belinda Carlisle then I think we are on two different levels of existence here.

The 80's ruled.. both musically and especially for the women's fashion.

big hair...and leg warmers ahhh.. god I can't wait for those fads to come back.... LOL

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 19:04
"Cultivating the Pat Benatar look" in the words of Phoebe Cates.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 19:11
oh ... did you really have to mention Phoebe Cates David...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 19:12
I certainly did ... do you post the red bikini photos or do I ?

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 19:18
you get dibs on that man... to the victor go the spoils . Thumbs Up The millennials, who are probably googling the hell out of her right now, will thank you. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 19:28
Here's a nice one -

http://www.ranker.com/pics/N1000359671/phoebe-cates-kills-zebras-for-her-tops-photo-u1?ref=image_924757" rel="nofollow">Phoebe Cates Kills Zebras for Her Tops

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 19:33
good one....Clap

Hi Mick... you know cute I always thought you were LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 19:34
Classic

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 19:35
now I feel the extreme urge for The Cars..

bye bye Willie...

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: June 16 2016 at 12:23
well the prog/pop side of Genesis Phil Collins Backing Band didn't like most of it. isn't imho crap there`s the odd few songs here and there. but funnily with YES! they`ll just seemed to be able to carry it off without losing the prog roots... 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 10:12
Rutherford and Banks just as guilty as Collins!  I also think Yes moved away from their prog roots just as much.
I also saw both bands during this period (Yes - 90125 and Genesis - Invisible Touch) - it was Genesis who gave the best show

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 15:32
I would have to go with Yes' 80's era. I was never a big fan of Phil Collins, but some of Genesis' best albums came from his era. Taking this into consideration, though, I think 90125 was probably one of the best albums released in the 80's and for me, it beats anything Genesis released in that era.

Posted By: BunBun
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 18:17
Genesis all the way, I personally enjoy both yes and genesis's 80s period because they got me into the bands classic 70s periods. However, yes 80s period has nothing on phil, mike, and tony lol

Posted By: Nawlinstoo
Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 08:35
80's Genesis vs 80's Yes? Why? Both of these bands were no longer experimenting any longer, but were very well seasoned in churning out the 'rock/pop noodle' that you drop in boiling water and presto it filled the requirement for their contract and punched a saleable product to the market. Go explore Marillion, IQ,  Arena, Pallas and the whole younger Neo Prog movement that at least ventured off-road a bit.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 08:56
Originally posted by Nawlinstoo Nawlinstoo wrote:

80's Genesis vs 80's Yes? Why? Both of these bands were no longer experimenting any longer, but were very well seasoned in churning out the 'rock/pop noodle' that you drop in boiling water and presto it filled the requirement for their contract and punched a saleable product to the market. Go explore Marillion, IQ,  Arena, Pallas and the whole younger Neo Prog movement that at least ventured off-road a bit.

it's just  simple poll, some people like these albums, well, more or less. No one is saying you should listen or something.
I'd rather listen to neo-prog to some albums released by 70s bands in the 80s, too.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 10 2016 at 22:26
of the `80`s pop/prog the bands I`d say imho where the better ones are Yes and Rush................

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Aled91
Date Posted: December 05 2016 at 01:18
Man, Genesis in the 80's became totally another band. It's only a cash machine.
They changed from the best band ever (together with Pink Floyd) to one of the many bands playing some pop music.
Also Yes lost their magic, but still they did something good.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: December 12 2016 at 14:43
Neither. 'Nough Said.

Date Posted: December 12 2016 at 15:51
pffff....

Heart

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: December 12 2016 at 17:17
Tough call.  Both bands ventured into poppy territory. I think Yes stayed closer to their roots but really not by much. Genesis had more pop hits. Both bands were pretty commercial and poppy at this point. I don't think Yes became as adult contemporary sounding as Genesis though so my preference is for Yes(even though I like some of the Genesis stuff from that time period too). 

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: December 12 2016 at 23:53
Never can understand why the vitriol directed toward Big Generator.

Is it because Yes were not playing what the public wanted? Whatever happened to all those audiences of 70,000 plus in 1979 stadia that made Yes play music people liked, er, I mean prog in short sharp bursts. Changes, It Can Happen all fine pieces and a very prog thing to do release a mini album called the Solos.

While a lot of the mysterious sound was dissipated in the shorter song approach Genesis had some fine material throughout. So it's not Nursey Cryme (parts 8 - 15), can't expect one of symphonic rock's finest bands to churn out the same old song and dance merely because the fans want the same old thing over and over.

Yet, when they did move into, or back into territory (CAS) when Phil Collins left the fans were so lethal in their criticism 9despiet a good singer and different drummer - or two) Genesis quit. You might still have Genesis until they were so demoralized from conservative fandom.

Not read all the posts but I assume the anti-Asia crusade will rear it's head.

No one was safe from the archly critical. Rush earned negative criticism for adopting Police procedures (openly and deliberately) and the mighty Crim with being a la Talking Heads. And Marillion for being like Genesis. Just a bit.

Not forgetting the elegant sounds Roxy Music displayed.

These bands are sl*g.ed for what they weren't really. And still they displayed so much ability one would think the prog rock crowd would be aware enough to appreciate the quality instead displaying the sort of low brow mean-spiritedness I would equate with an ACDC audience faced with an acoustic set. Or a ballad.

I do wish In The Air Tonight had been a Genesis song. Or that they did a version of it.

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: December 13 2016 at 03:36
I love the 80s for both.

With Genesis, the 80s is actually my favorite era of their output. The only albums of theirs I like as well as the 80s albums are Selling England by the Pound, A Trick of the Tail and We Can't Dance (the latter essentially being 80s Genesis overlapping the 90s). I don't mean to suggest that I don't like earlier Genesis--Genesis would be in my top 100, maybe even in my top 50, but I just like their 80s material even more than the early stuff (and I also like solo Peter Gabriel more than most earlier Genesis).

With Yes, my #4 artist overall, it's not my favorite period of their output, but I like their 80s stuff as well as I like their other periods, and Drama is an especially underrated Yes album in my opinion.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 13 2016 at 04:27
Pass.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 01:33
Went to see Genesis on the Abacab tour - brilliant show. I have a great fondness for this much maligned album. Essentially Genesis have always been about songs rather than virtuoso musicianship. Even their most proggy tracks are quite poppy. Because of this, their growing commercialism in the 80s was quite a natural progression for them. Yes, on the other hand, were a vey different beast. The integration of pop/soft rock elements into their music felt less natural and seemed at greater odds with the band's identity.

For this reason, Genesis in the 80s are much more palatable than 80s Yes.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: Old King Cole
Date Posted: February 22 2017 at 10:07
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Excluding Owner of a Lonely Heart, all the other tracks are great.

I know this 6 1/2 years too late but I think Owner of a Lonely Heart is a very good pop song despite being a bigger fan of their earlier work.

Posted By: BunBun
Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 08:50
Personally, I love both of their 80s period but I'd obviously choose Genesis over Yes. Both bands had fun, catchy songs. Genesis had songs like abacab, Mama, Home by the Sea/ Second Home by the Sea, Domino, etc. And Yes had some catchy songs like Owner of a Lonely Heart (which, despite the amount of times I hear on the radio, I still love) Cinema, It Can Happen, Shoot High Aim Low.

Sure the material isn't Close to the Edge or Supper's Ready quality but neither was it meant to be. I think both bands adapted well to the eighties.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 25 2017 at 10:12
Originally posted by Mr. Maestro Mr. Maestro wrote:

Just my opinion, though.

I can't really disagree with any of that. My preference is for Yes but I admit I'm biased. 

Jumping off from what you said though Yes were over all more popular in the seventies and thus were a bigger prog band in the seventies while Genesis were bigger as a pop band in the 80's(and over all more popular than Yes). I think most people who get(or got)into the prog side of Genesis way later on after they became a pop band also eventually discovered Yes. I call it the trickle down effect. Whether these people eventually discover Spock's Beard or the lesser known prog in general is anyone's guess. Tongue

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk