Print Page | Close Window

Are we snobs?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7230
Printed Date: May 15 2024 at 17:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Are we snobs?
Posted By: The Hemulen
Subject: Are we snobs?
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 17:45
Simple question. I say yes, and rightly so too.

Replies:
Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 17:51
Probably not as much as people who listen only to classical music, and think that any music from the popular culture has to be further down the evolutionary scale...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: nimrodel
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 17:52
sure we are. but we are right!

-------------
We want... a shrubbery!

Posted By: Gaston
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 17:54
I'm not a snob! I'm so very 'umble...

Yeah right. I'm better than you. I'm so good I'm better than myself!!!

-------------

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.

Posted By: FishyMonkey
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 17:58
Yes. End of question. Everyone is here, mostly to a great extent.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/FishyMonkey/?chartstyle=artists">

Posted By: Dan Yaron
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:08

I am sure a snob, and I am proud to be a close minded snob that is looked strangely by the rap fans at my school =)

Posted By: Hierophant
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:18
I love making fun of my friends' sorry taste in music.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:21
No

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: MustShaveBeard
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:33
I like to say I'm not but I always find myself giving off a "my music's so much better than yours" attitude. But when a kids walking around whispering trying to sound like he's screaming, what else can you do but laugh?

-------------
Your life or your lupins!!!

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:33
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

No

Yes we are.

Posted By: radiognome3
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:34

Yes. But, I find it ironic. I am a snob because I like, say, Gong or King Crimson, or whatever, but only because people I know have never heard or heard of them. So, because I was somehow exposed to a LOT of different bands who, for the most part, will never be heard on the radion (in the United States, at any rate), I am a snob.

I have always been amazed at the fact that if you do not buy into the lowest common denominator, you're considered a snob.

-------------
Vive Gong!

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:36

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

No

Yes we are.

No, I'm not!

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:38

No

Yes we are.

No, I'm not!

...Yeah you are.

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:39
I'd say I was an all-embracing, open minded kind of a guy, although I wouldn't be surprised to find that Snow Dog is a bit of a snob...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:41

No

Yes we are.

No, I'm not!

...Yeah you are.

It ain't so!

-------------

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:43

No

Yes we are.

No, I'm not!

...Yeah you are.

It ain't so!

You're just craving attention aren't you

expected reply: No I'm not

why didn't you say it lol

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:44

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

I'd say I was an all-embracing, open minded kind of a guy, although I wouldn't be surprised to find that Snow Dog is a bit of a snob...

Hey canyoudothefandango! Who rattled your cage?

Listening to.........farting!

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:45
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

No

Yes we are.

No, I'm not!

...Yeah you are.

It ain't so!

You're just craving attention aren't you

expected reply: No I'm not

though maybe, yes I am

What I'm craving is a bacon sandwich.

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:47

I take it all back... you must be more slob than snob if you are sat there farting in the living room, no doubt half naked!

-------------

Posted By: dalt99
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:48

I don't think I'm a snob. I just know what's best!

-------------
Best of 2006 that I've heard:
PFM-Stati Di Immaginazione
Zenit-Surrender (Best "unknown" album)
Oaksenham - Conquest of Pacific
2007:
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
La Torre Del Alchimista - Neo

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:53

I take it all back... you must be more slob than snob if you are sat there farting in the living room, no doubt half naked!

No.........you're listening to the farting, its all those veggies sleeping at your Hostel! Either that or your music!

-------------

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:54

I'm such a snob I turn my nose up at myself.

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 18:58
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Surprised you can see your nose through all that face fungus!

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:03

Well i only have say 40% prog in my cd collection the rest ather types of music so i am not 100% prog nut, I think it gets boring to lisen to the same music style all the time i need variation, but i am sure its the same for everybody here i dont think anyone here got only prog albums, or?

Well too the question, I have alweys considered my self to have very good taste in music and i am very intrested in music and alweys try to have an open mind and give the music some time and not yust lisen to it once and then say its crap like most pople probobly do. most pople and most of my friends are not as intrested in music as i am and if they lisen to a song one time ánd dont like it they whuld never try it ever again and therfor they will never disscover the great stuff or prog, i have tryed many times to play great music that i love for these pople but it never work they dont understand it the first time and to them its therefor sh*t and they go back and lisen to thier metal crap... Wich i whuld never lisen to. So i guees i am a music snob, becaus i like good orginal music and not mainstrem crap, ok not all mainstrem music is crap but much.

-------------

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:16

No.........you're listening to the farting, its all those veggies sleeping at your Hostel! Either that or your music!

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:23

Bah. What would the likes of you know?

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:27

As many of you know I am a bigger Progressive Metal fan and not very elitist, people on other forums especially Metal and John Myung forums, call me a Prog Snob!  I am definitely snobby compared to those people, but compared to flowerchild, welll we all love him.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:32
Damn right we are.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:34
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Well i only have say 40% prog in my cd collection the rest ather types of music so i am not 100% prog nut, I think it gets boring to lisen to the same music style all the time i need variation, but i am sure its the same for everybody here i dont think anyone here got only prog albums, or?

"Same musical style"... Prog?!

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:35

Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

"Same musical style"... Prog?!

IMO, Progressive Rock is as variant as Classical Music, probably even more...

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:40

...depends on how you define "snob"

it's kinda like the term "weird" ... it has a very subjective meaning.

Example: say you're in a room full o' hillbilly rednecks, they might consider you a real weirdo for listening to early 70's progressive rock...

one man's "snobbery" may be another's appealing personality

Posted By: Lyzarrd
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:45
A very defiant and resounding yes! I'm suprised I haven't been shot, the way I have lambasted other people's crappy music and irritated them with good reasons on why their music is far inferior to prog.

Now...how's that for snob!

-------------
Can you tell me where my country lies...

Posted By: gdub411
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:50
i am such a prog snob I have even segregated my non prog cds from my prog cds as they are not good enough to hang next to the prog ones.

Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 19:50

I'm not that much of a snob, and I'm glad that I am.  There's good music in every genre, you just gotta get off your soapbox, stop judging people, and listen to music for what it is:

MUSIC.

And that's my rant.

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 20:00

When I was getting into prog early on in high school, I was very snobbish etc. etc. I would talk about it to people who didn't care and convince them that what I listened to was better than their "musical tastes" and proceed to belitte it and them. I'm surprised these people now are still my friends... .

But not long after, I realized what I did was wrong and came to a realization that everyone is entitled to their own opinions whether I think it's garbage or not. I wouldn't like anyone to belitte the music I love, so I try no to do it to people who may like something different. I may say "Oh, I don't particularly enjoy [that type of music/artist/etc]" or "Eh, that's not my thing."

*But deep down I know that prog is better than everything else, and those who don't enjoy it obviously aren't able to handle it's greatness, and therefore settle for less.*

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 20:02

Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

i am such a prog snob I have even segregated my non prog cds from my prog cds as they are not good enough to hang next to the prog ones.

Gdub ^, !!

I saw it after I posted my reply....

Posted By: gdub411
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 20:03
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

I'm not that much of a snob, and I'm glad that I am.  There's good music in every genre, you just gotta get off your soapbox, stop judging people, and listen to music for what it is:

MUSIC.

And that's my rant.

Bah...prog is better.

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 20:03
Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

Gdub ^, !!

Wow! That is on the edge of amazing. I have my Prog cds stacked on top of my Grateful Dead cds

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 20:08
I  am  a  f r e a k

Posted By: Mharo
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 20:20
Yes, we are snobs.........

so?

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 22:14
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Gdub ^, !!

Wow! That is on the edge of amazing. I have my Prog cds stacked on top of my Grateful Dead cds

I have all mine in alphabetical order, and different albums by the same band in order of release......

Posted By: Hangedman
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 22:22

Gdub ^, !!

I have all mine in alphabetical order, and different albums by the same band in order of release......

Me too, and my prog albums used to be segregated (just recently I threw all my albums together).

As for the snob thing, yeah i suppose but im way better than i was. I pretty much like every genre of music, and can get along with most music fans. Unless they bash something I like then I bite my toungue. Or if they like pavement... then I let em have it  

Posted By: Storm-Crow
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 22:43
Yes i definetely am a snob because i love to be arrogant and egotistical when it comes to things such as music because i have enough understanding of music to know that progressive rock is superior than mainstream music in every way.  Yet im an even bigger snob when people give me a hard time for not conforming to more popular music of the present day. 

-------------
Take a salt tablet!!!

Posted By: Ben2112
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 23:30
I guess I'm a snob, but not as much as some here. My last girlfriend used to call me a musical snob, but she'd crap if she saw the things some of you guys come up with.

Posted By: con safo
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 23:39
Well over the last few years ive been into many different genres, so im usually not one to bash someones music taste, unless they're into truly bad music, then i can probably get pretty irritating. Only time i ever get snobby is when my music taste is criticised, i can get extremely defensive.. But i don't see myself as a snob, i respect most genres.

-------------

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 00:34

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 02:09

Gdub ^, !!

- Count me in this fray - my prog albums are separated from everything else - not in alphabetic order at the moment but different albums by the same band are definitely in order of release. I am a prog snob at heart...  

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 02:18

"I like to listen to music. Whatever plays on the radio on I see on MTV. There was a good song I heard the other day ... by Jessica Simpson ... take my breath away, I think ... nice song ... sounds a bit like an oldie though ..."

How does your inner voice react to that? I'm still a snob at heart, I'm afraid, although nowhere as bad as I used to be ...

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 02:37

Snob is not the right term, because a snob person believes his taste is superior to the rest when he/she really doesn't have a clue about good taste, often snob is a synonym for tasteless new rich, who eats caviar with his taco or drinks Scotch with Fanta, only because caviar and Scotch are exepensive and despite the fact they hate the taste of caviar and Scotch..

We really believe Prog' is the best music ever, and most of us have enough knowledge to debate the point.

So call us pedants, proud of our taste, an elite or whatever except snob.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: James Hill
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 03:19
Of course we are and im proud of it.Have you heard the crap they call music nowdays?How is it someone can speak ebonics over a drum machine and get a number 1 hit?We need to be snobs.The reason for the success of dance music and rap was the simplistic revolution of punk rock which preached stripped down music and allowed for crap like hip hop to exist in the first place.Who needs to learn how to play a instrument these days?

-------------
symphonic james

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 03:33

Probably not as much as people who listen only to classical music, and think that any music from the popular culture has to be further down the evolutionary scale...

I listen to a lot of "classical" music, and would agree with that sentiment anyway...

Musical snob - and PROUD of it

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 03:59
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Surprised you can see your nose through all that face fungus!

Oi!

Watch it - there are many more of us here with the facial mirkins, you know.

Us beardies are the elite of the prog-snobs - we're far too busy listening to superior music to worry about baby-bottie-smooth-face-panty-wasting-shaving-type...er...th ings.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Dragon Phoenix
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 04:23

No, I don't think I am a musical snob.

I listen to whatever I like, be it classical music, jazz, new age, prog, rock or pop. And I will never criticize someone else's taste in music. I only pity those who do not like music at all.

Sample from our pop/rock CD collection, under A: ABBA, Aerosmith, Aimee Mann, Alan PArsons Project, Alainis Morrisette, Alice Cooper, Alice in Chains, Alicia Keys, Alison Moyet, Alquin, Al Stewart, America, Ange, Angra, Anne Murray, Anne-Sofie von Otter & Elvis Costello, Annie Lennox, Apocalyptica, Autour de Lucie, Ayreon. Rather mixed!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 05:09

I had to have plastic surgery to remove the second nose growing on my forehead, as most people called me a snob regarding my music tastes.

More seriously , I avoid making fun of other's musical tastes , this allows for me not to appear snobbish , and makes it easier for others to accept my tastes, and even have them to enjoy the musicx I listen to . Of course I will avoid UZ or DT as a prog introduction to these poor lost souls only waiting for their musical taste saviour - MOI , en l'occurence (in this case).

The origin of being a snob is so: Snobbery is technically being at the avant-garde or fads or arts , therefore being a bit of a groundbreaker , an original , an Artiste! Once the fad has caught on , the snob realizes that his tastes are now obsolete (or that even the most backwards province know of the cause he was championning ), and will move away from this where he does not want be seen with such trend-followers and find new unexplored space where he can be seen again the trendsetter.

so technically progheads are not snobs but the ones saying they are snobs because they are saying their tastes are better than most are being sectarians.

How was that for such pedantic snobery?

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: InfinityCascade
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 06:36

Were not pompous, we've just go a larger share of brain cells than everyone else, and we've got a better taste in music and we rule the world...

Oh wait I guess that makes us quite pompous then!

-------------
While your reading signitures, your losing brain cells...
The average internet geek spends three years reading signitures...
Thankyou all for your brain cell donations...

Posted By: Winterfamily
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 07:43
Originally posted by James Hill James Hill wrote:

Of course we are and im proud of it.Have you heard the crap they call music nowdays?How is it someone can speak ebonics over a drum machine and get a number 1 hit?We need to be snobs.The reason for the success of dance music and rap was the simplistic revolution of punk rock which preached stripped down music and allowed for crap like hip hop to exist in the first place.Who needs to learn how to play a instrument these days?

Well, Gil Scott - Heron and The Last Poets started to make rap (or proto - rap) records in the late sixties. A decade before sex Pistols, i think. Blame it on cheap drum machines and Emulator keyboards, not on punk rock.

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 08:10

I don't act or dress like one so I'm not one.

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Posted By: atomicbomb
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 08:46

Originally posted by Hierophant Hierophant wrote:

I love making fun of my friends' sorry taste in music.

ehehheh thats very fun, indeed....

of course we're snobs.......everyone is, that's human nature.....some about their body shapes, other by their popularity....i say our music snobness is quite allright.....

Posted By: Gentle Ronnie
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 09:14

Prog is the best kind of music, and if you disagree with me...

YOU'RE WRONG!

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 09:37
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I listen to a lot of "classical" music, and would agree with that sentiment anyway...

Musical snob - and PROUD of it

Thanks for your comment Certif1ed...

That isn't having a stab at classical by the way, if I don't listen to prog, then classical is my second choice... its just that on several occasions I have come across this attitude, both in real life and thru the media, which I don't think does the genre a lot of favours.

Prog people on the other hand are such a chilled out, laid back, easy going group, who would embrace you whatever your musicality!

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 09:41

Gdub ^, !!

Arsillus, we could be brothers who were separated at birth... my film collection is also in Director & Chronological order, and both libraries are catalogued, with star ratings...

I really ought to find myself a girlfriend.....

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 10:05

snob - supposedly from Latin, abbreviation of "Sine NOBilitate", without nobility. (But pretending nevertheless that you are superior to the masses / the proles.)

Sorry, I'm just a bit of a Latin snob  . Had to take the discussion on a higher level.

Pretentious, moi  ?

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 13:47
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Gdub ^, !!

- Count me in this fray - my prog albums are separated from everything else - not in alphabetic order at the moment but different albums by the same band are definitely in order of release. I am a prog snob at heart...  

I think we all are.

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 13:48

Gdub ^, !!

Arsillus, we could be brothers who were separated at birth... my film collection is also in Director & Chronological order, and both libraries are catalogued, with star ratings...

I really ought to find myself a girlfriend.....

"We've got tooooo much *clap* *clap* time on our hands!

Posted By: colin007
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 14:00

"We've got tooooo much *clap* *clap* time on our hands!

dude, it's : "Attention all PLANETS of the Solar Federation..."

-------------
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.

Posted By: dalt99
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 14:50

Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Gdub ^, !!

I think we all are.

DITTO! DITTO!

-------------
Best of 2006 that I've heard:
PFM-Stati Di Immaginazione
Zenit-Surrender (Best "unknown" album)
Oaksenham - Conquest of Pacific
2007:
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
La Torre Del Alchimista - Neo

Posted By: abyssyinfinity
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 15:07
As normality=mediocrity
Mediocrity isn't Prog but also isn't snob so are we snob or not?
Great problem...

Posted By: frippertronik
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 15:41

the people who doesn´t like music, like to hear the fashion groups, and the fashion groups are really poor.

we're not snobs, we like the music 

-------------
a plague of lighthouse keepers

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 16:42

We are snobs, and in the words of the late great John Lennon, "You're still f**king peasants as far as I can see!"

(So what if he's been dead for 25 years? He's still alive in my mind... God, I feel old)

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 17:06
We have lots of different music in our collection, and we don't segregate at all, we sort the music by artists (in the case of Western classical music by composers), so for example Gustav Mahler follows right after Magma or the Strawbs right after Stravinski. We prefer not to categorize music at all, except for 2 categories: good and bad music. What we consider to be bad doesn't land in our collection. There are a few artist we debate over, but if only one of us likes some music then we consider it to be worthy to get into our collection. Nevertheless I'll always pull a face when Friede puts on System 7, for example, just as she will pull a face when I put on "The Mamas and the Papas" (I admit I like them, it is music I grew up with). What does that have to do with me being a snob? I don't know, I didn't understand the question in the first place; I just react to some of the answers to this thread.

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: hdfisch
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 17:33

I have as well about 50% of my collection which is non-Prog, but I've to say I rarely listen to those ones any more since I discovered that many and versatile Prog bands. I think the spectre in Prog music is so broad (from soft to heavy and from pop-ish to highly intricate) that in fact you don't need any other kind of music. Apart of some blues, or old stuff like Beatles,Deep Purple,LedZep sometimes maybe, but anything from the newer stuff.

Regarding the main question I don't see myself as a snob, since I usually accept everyone else's musical taste. If someone prefers Pop or Death Metal who cares? I'm doing suggestions to try this or that but everyone has a different taste!You can't force people to like Prog.And actually why?Music which is loved by many people is usually what????No I am not a snob!Maybe I am!Who cares?[QUOTE=Zargus]

Posted By: undefinability
Date Posted: June 12 2005 at 08:52
I love being referred to as snobbish, because I can use the retort, "Yes, but I'm a snob who has exceptional taste," which usually angers people even more because of how snobbish the tone is.

-------------
"Don't listen to me."

[IMG]http://www.freewebs.com/shahath/shadowid.jpg">

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:53

Maybe we should call "our" music  snobistic rock.

Welcome to the SnobArchives  

Posted By: the dragon
Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 05:51

Last year I was in London and i bought about 40 prog CD at HMV.

My wife told me I was crazy crazy crazy, not snob.

-------------
Still alive...

Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 06:06
SnobArchives GREAT !!! 

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 10:39

Sophisticated
    Non-polluting
    Open-minded
    Bright

Posted By: Hammill
Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 12:08
i don't think we are snobs. i never judge a person because of his music tastes. 

-------------

Posted By: Syntharachnid
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 18:24

I love myself better than I love myself... I think...

-Zappa

But seriously, YES. We are snobs because we believe our music is better than anyone else's.

And we're right.

-------------

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: June 17 2005 at 23:49
Originally posted by Syntharachnid Syntharachnid wrote:

But seriously, YES. We are snobs because we believe our music is better than anyone else's.

And we're right.

we are such snobs

but when i see my friends listening to rap and punk, i can't help but get all snobbish.

-------------

Posted By: Sweetnighter
Date Posted: June 18 2005 at 14:17
yes, we are snobs. this is because we are right and they are wrong. 

-------------
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 18:12
Yup! We are snobs!! We hate all kind of music that isn't prog....well, not always (example: Im a HUGE AC/DC fan, and Im proud of it!!), but we are still snobs

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 18:20
Evolution forced us to get snob. It is not our faults.

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 18:52

I don't have patience to talk about music with people in general, because they just can't explain the reason why they like what they like. I'm not talking about "mine is bigger than yours", but just a justification to yourself about what makes your decison to listen this, and not that. What your kind of music has that no others have, etc. People simply can't answer these questions to themselves. So, as a matter of fact, I can be described as a snob, but just because I know the reasons why I listen to the music I listen, and the opposite as well. 

Posted By: A'swepe
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 18:57
If a fondness for music that challenges the listener to keep up in order to enjoy it is snobbish, then yes, we are snobs. Say it loud, I'm a snob & I'm proud!!

-------------
David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa

Posted By: kenmeyerjr
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 19:03
I would have to agree with Alan on this one. Though, I have found myself, on occasions, thinking other people's tastes (not having anything to do with prog) are not up to par, compared to mine...and then I hit myself a few times and am fine.

-------------
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com

Posted By: lunaticviolist
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 19:28
Everyone here is a snob except me.  That must mean I'm better than all of you!

-------------
My recent purchases:

Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 19:30

Snobby is the wrong word but with the lack of eclecticity in todays (pop) music,to listen to prog makes a lot of more linear music seem like crud.

Posted By: ElwoodHerring
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 20:32
If snobbery can be defined by not going along with the mob but deciding for myself what I want to listen to, then yes.

I live by this motto (which is also the title of a brilliant book by the late physicist Richard Feynman):

"What do YOU care what other people think?"

My typical week:
Mornings - light classical
Afternoons - heavier classical or prog
Early evenings & all day Saturday - prog
Late night - Jazz (sometimes trad, sometimes modern)
Sundays - Good old fashioned radio comedy!

-------------
[IMG]http://www.herring.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DRMkillb.JPG">
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4816930.stm - Right the Copyright Wrongs (Bill Thompson's BBC blog - essential reading!)

Posted By: tardis
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 23:51
You're all a bunch of snobs. Why would I want to talk to you?

Posted By: Gomurisu
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 13:52
Hmm... I don't consider myself as a snob, but sometimes my comments to other people's taste of music may sound snobby.

Like, you all know that real music lovers despise the MTV-crap. But unfortunately, 'bout 90% of the young people here in Finland listen to that kind of music, or then "metal", like Slipknot, Children of Bodom, Limp Bizkit or Korn (which I of course don't consider as heavy metal. CoB maybe, but the others aren't at least). My taste in music is very, very wide, but these kind of crappy poser-bands are just horrible.

For example today, on the ADP-lesson, I played bands like Floyd, Rush and Dire Straits. Well, of course some dudes started whining when I put on Mike Oldfield's Taurus II and that bagpipe part, and turned their volume up with some god damn Black Eyed Peas. I certainly have a more elegant taste in music, don't I?

So, would you consider me as a snob, elitist or just an ordinary music lover?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Phoenix_/?chartstyle=RecordArmMonochrome">

Posted By: Nazgul
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 13:59
I'm not sure for myself,  but many prog listeners are snobs.

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 14:14
Originally posted by undefinability undefinability wrote:

I love being referred to as snobbish, because I can use the retort, "Yes, but I'm a snob who has exceptional taste," which usually angers people even more because of how snobbish the tone is.

hehehe, I like that! I'm going to steal it.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 14:15
Originally posted by tardis tardis wrote:

You're all a bunch of snobs. Why would I want to talk to you?

To bathe and frolic in the fountains of our illuminating wisdom, of course.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: Chipiron
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 15:00
Yes. Of course, I love Iron Maiden and The Stones, like every snob...

-------------
[IMG]http://www.belderrain.es/GIFs/tora.gif">

Posted By: Peace Frog
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 15:20

Originally posted by Chipiron Chipiron wrote:

Yes. Of course, I love Iron Maiden and The Stones, like every snob...

I actually know a snob who likes Slipknot and Ozzy. I find it funny.

I am so far from being a snob it's not funny. I'm just the modern nonconformist. I don't limit my music tastes to only one genre and try to be different. I am a huge Our Lady Peace and Nirvana fan- I know you may think that's weird, but 90s alternative rock is what I grew up hearing, so it's always been my favourite. I'll still be listening to Nevermind and Bleach when I'm 80. 

-------------
http://imageshack.us">

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 16:03
No, I'm very poor, in mind as in pocketts. I just have a soft spot for poetry and complex conceptual constructions. But everyone is welcome in my heart.

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: zabriskiepoint
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 16:20
No, I'm not, I live in a 3rd world country, and don't have much money so I don't see the snob in me.

Posted By: fractal
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 16:47
So 3rd world country people can't afford to be snobs? I don't know, I live in a 3rd world country too and I know some snobs...

-------------
Klaatu Barada Nikto!

Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 16:52
Yes we are !!! 

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally