Print Page | Close Window

Symphony X

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72453
Printed Date: May 10 2024 at 18:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Symphony X
Posted By: progger7
Subject: Symphony X
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:10
WHERE'S THE LOVE?

V : The New Mythology Suite is WIN yet, no mention of it here anywhere. well, this ends today!!
i even searched for any symphony x threads and there were none.
I vote for this thread to be the official symphony x fan thread!

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:12
Well call it that then and decapitalize.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:43
V is a great album.

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:51
There are actually quite a few Symphony X threads in the forum. In the search facility, change the default of last 6 months to "any date" and they will appear.Big smile

Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 15:31
i was getting search errors. i had to remove the x to find them. pretty weird.

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 15:40
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

V is a great album.

indeed! such a wonderful piece of music that sadly doesn't get enough appreciation compared to their other material. it gets no love at all. especially in last fm. people scrobble paradise lost and the odyssey the most. =Wacko

-------------

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 16:01
Originally posted by progger7 progger7 wrote:

WHERE'S THE LOVE?

V : The New Mythology Suite is WIN yet, no mention of it here anywhere. well, this ends today!!
i even searched for any symphony x threads and there were none.
I vote for this thread to be the official symphony x fan thread!

Where's the DVD?Shocked

After some many years, is it possbile that this band don't have any money to do one.

Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 19:34
if i can see them again for a second time, i would trade the DVD for that ANYTIME! but, yeah that would be nice. it's about time for them to hop on the DVD wagon. getting one together with their new LP would be EPIC along with the 5.1 mix of course.

-------------

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 19:43
Love Symphony X

One of my top 5 fav bands!

Can't choose which is my favorite between Divine Wings, The Odyssey, and Paradise Lost.
V is also quite brilliant of course.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 23:01
I want them to cover the Sonic Sat.Am Theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5jYvMcbYG0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5jYvMcbYG0

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 05:18
I saw them and thought they were awful. I do like the albums though.

-------------

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 05:41
It's pretty routine for these bands to not be able to pull it off live. I honestly believe this is the only reason Dream Theater ascended to the head of the class. It's not because their compositions are reliably good, it's because they didn't fall on their ass trying to replicate them live.

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 05:55
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

It's pretty routine for these bands to not be able to pull it off live. I honestly believe this is the only reason Dream Theater ascended to the head of the class. It's not because their compositions are reliably good, it's because they didn't fall on their ass trying to replicate them live.

I don't know about that. I've seen DT live because I liked their compositions in the first place.

-------------

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 06:13

What I'm saying isn't that they can't write a song. I'm saying they're the foremost of their scene but I think a lot of people would agree that they've written some real clangers here and there. What keeps them afloat seems to be their performance ability which can only really be measured by live shows.

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 06:21
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

What I'm saying isn't that they can't write a song. I'm saying they're the foremost of their scene but I think a lot of people would agree that they've written some real clangers here and there. What keeps them afloat seems to be their performance ability which can only really be measured by live shows.

OK, what I'm saying is that for me thats not true. I'm more of an albums person and I remain a fan due to their albums and nothing else. The fact that they are sh*t hot live is a bonus.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 06:23
Oh dear....lets not turn this into a DT thread. Sorry everyone.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 09:52
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

yeah i heard they weren't very consistent with that. it all depends how much they've had to drink that night.
Michael Romeo even usually brings out a bottle of jack daniels and sips between songs. at least he did that at my show. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 09:54
i didn't think they were awful that night either but, i can't really back that up since i wasn't really sober. =.=

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 09:57
i even tried taking a video and i was so wasted you can hear me singing out loud during one of their songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_b-IoBl2GY - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_b-IoBl2GY

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 10:17
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Love Symphony X

Can't choose which is my favorite between Divine Wings, The Odyssey, and Paradise Lost.

I didn't like Paradise Lost at all for some reason.  The Odyssey is very good, but V is probably my favorite.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 11:01

if i can see them again for a second time, i would trade the DVD for that ANYTIME! but, yeah that would be nice. it's about time for them to hop on the DVD wagon. getting one together with their new LP would be EPIC along with the 5.1 mix of course.

I dont think they do many headline shows so any DVD would have to be cobbled together from a tour, which I wouldnt be very interested in.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 14:03
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Love Symphony X

I didn't like Paradise Lost at all for some reason.  The Odyssey is very good, but V is probably my favorite.

The album does have a bit of a different sound to it. That's all I can imagine, that style just didn't click.

V is indeed a gem.

Posted By: HomeNucleonics
Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 10:32
Great band, but a bit too much power metal influences for my taste..think I shall give Paradise Lost and The Odessey another chance..The Mythology Suite and Divine Wings of tragedy are still impresse records in their own right

-------------
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

Posted By: Islandstone
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 18:14

My favorite band (along with Blind Guardian). Words cannot express how much I love them.
Surely deserves an own thread.

And yeah,V is an incredible album,totally out-of-this-world. It's my favorite SX album,and probably my all-time fav as well. 

Anyone else excited for the new album? Reports say it will be heavy,but very dynamic and progressive as well. It probably won't be released until 2011 though.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 18:53
i like Symphony X. I think V: The New Mythology Suite is their best album, and the only one i can sit straight through and listen to the whole thing. There's something about the guitar tone; it's so.... MEATY!

The Odyssey (song) and The Divine Wings of Tragedy (song) are some of the best prog metal epics ever (also pretty solid albums too)

Paradise Lost is probably my 2nd favorite album by them, after V.

the only one im not too big on is Twilight in Olympus, it reminds me too much of Yngwie Malmsteen, who i used to kind of like, but dont care for nowadays...

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Majesty
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 22:27
So yeah, I'm looking to get into them. (I haven't because I'm poor, and their albums are impossible to find =_=). With which albums should I start with? =P

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 06:17
Well for me, Paradise Lost is a masterpiece and also the easiest album to find. However, if you want to get into the band, then it's not very representative of the rest of their albums, so I think you should go with 'V'.

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:20
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

i like Symphony X. I think V: The New Mythology Suite is their best album, and the only one i can sit straight through and listen to the whole thing. There's something about the guitar tone; it's so.... MEATY!

The Odyssey (song) and The Divine Wings of Tragedy (song) are some of the best prog metal epics ever (also pretty solid albums too)

the only one im not too big on is Twilight in Olympus, it reminds me too much of Yngwie Malmsteen, who i used to kind of like, but dont care for nowadays...

i disagree about Twilight in Olympus. while paradise lost is the best produced/mixed album from them, it happens to be in the bottom 2 along with their s/t. i'd choose songs like church of the machine, smoke and mirrors AND lady of the snow over many songs from PL. everything else you said though i agree with.

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:21
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Well for me, Paradise Lost is a masterpiece and also the easiest album to find. However, if you want to get into the band, then it's not very representative of the rest of their albums, so I think you should go with 'V'.

i wouldn't recommend that. it would be spoiling him. i rather have him listen to their other stuff first before V blows his mind away.

-------------

Posted By: Mr ProgFreak
Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:32
Exactly. V is one of my favorite prog metal albums of all time (read: in the top 10 out of many hundreds), but I would always recommend to approach a band by listening to other albums than the ones which are considered to be absolute masterpieces. That way you don't begin listening with such a huge bias in your expectation - and if you like them you still have a lot to discover.

So: Start with Twilight in Olympus.

-------------
https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike" rel="nofollow - https://tagyourmusic.org/users/Mike

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 13:10
Well anything but their first two, 'Symphony X' and 'The Damnation Game'. They're enough to put anyone off prog/power metal for life!

-------------

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: October 27 2010 at 16:37

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

i disagree about Twilight in Olympus. while paradise lost is the best produced/mixed album from them, it happens to be in the bottom 2 along with their s/t. i'd choose songs like church of the machine, smoke and mirrors AND lady of the snow over many songs from PL. everything else you said though i agree with.

it might still be the newness of the album (though ive had it for some time now...) but im sure in a few months my opinion might change

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: ElectricWanderer
Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 08:04
Symphony X is one of my favourite proggier metal bands. Huge talent in both playing their instruments and song writing. Russell Allen is also a monster of a vocalist and brings an already excellent band to a whole new level. They were excellent live as well when I saw them, topped Dream Theater for me.

Best album... Many people prefer V but I'm maybe more of a fan of Divine Wings. The Odyssey and Twilight in Olympus kick ass as well. Paradise Lost is also solid, the two first albums are a  bit lacking tho as they sound quite muddy. Luckily they took a HUGE step with Divine Wings.

Posted By: Islandstone
Date Posted: March 14 2011 at 22:27

For information about the upcoming album "Iconoclast", see this:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/symphonyx/666421-iconoclast-news-info-thread.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/symphonyx/666421-iconoclast-news-info-thread.html

It's filled with probably all there is to know about the album and the tour they are on.
Artwork, theme, songtitles, interviews, live performance of 2 new songs, as well as the other songs they play on the tour, Quality Live Photos.....lots of good stuff. And it's constantly updated! Not like the missing info we get from Nuclear Blast and the Band Management.

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: March 15 2011 at 10:24
Symphony X are my second favourite band of all time! I love this band! Amazing music! Incredible musicians!

They played a show about 45 minutes away from me a couple of weeks ago, I didn't find out until a few days after though. Pissed off about that!!! Angry

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: March 15 2011 at 10:28
My favourite SX album is probably 'Twilight in Olympus'. Here's how I've rated their studio albums:

Symphony X - 3/5
Damnation Game - 4/5
Divine Wings of Tragedy - 5/5
Twilight in Olympus - 5/5
V - 4/5
The Odyssey - 5/5
Paradise Lost - 4/5

Posted By: TLM170
Date Posted: March 15 2011 at 13:45
awesome band! i love all the album except for the first one. it's still good but i have a hard time really appreciating music when the recording is that cheap

Posted By: Repner
Date Posted: March 15 2011 at 15:42
Yet to hear the first two.  Love the others.  V is my favourite.  I really like how they decided to post the story on the website.  More bands should do that

-------------

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: March 15 2011 at 16:07
I know I'm souped for Iconoclast! 

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Rasvamakkara
Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 01:02
I used to be a huge fan of Symphony X some years ago, but now I rarely listen to them. I don't like the more metal direction they're going. Their earlier releases (The Damnation Game -> Twilight in Olympus) are much more interesting to me than the newer ones. That said, both V and The Odyssey contain some great  songs. Paradise Lost I've always found to be boring. I hope the new album tones the metal down a bit.

Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 02:38
Very excited to hear they are releasing their next album this year.
My brother heard 3 songs and said they seem to be continuing in the heavy direction.

Which I'm a ok with. I loved Paradise Lost and I think it's good they want to keep moving around. Much as I love Opeth I grow a bit weary of their style after sooo many albums.

But after 2 masterpieces in a row, can they keep it up?

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 05:49

My brother heard 3 songs and said they seem to be continuing in the heavy direction.

Which I'm a ok with. I loved Paradise Lost and I think it's good they want to keep moving around. Much as I love Opeth I grow a bit weary of their style after sooo many albums.

You mean Opeth or SX?

-------------

Date Posted: March 16 2011 at 15:32
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

You mean Opeth or SX?

SX

Opeth as I said is starting to wear a little thin (but they were still good albums).

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 28 2012 at 12:28
I am listening to Michael Pinnella's solo album Enter By The Twelfth Gate at the moment.  It is totally unlike anything that you would expect from a member of a power prog metal band.  It is made up mostly of piano concertos.  I already knew this from previous listens, but it still surprises me and I was bored so I thought that I would share that here.

-------------

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: August 28 2012 at 13:28
Paradise Lost remains as my favorite album, but I still need to listen to a couple from them. 

Both V and PL are huge, some people doesn't like the streight metal they use in PL but I really love it. If you are gonna talk about the devil's point of view, you can't be too proggy... You have to be ball through walls and they did it all with no hesitation. 

Great band. 

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: Ytse_Jam
Date Posted: August 28 2012 at 13:46
V is a great album, a true milestone. It blends power metal and prog without the cheesness of many other bands of the same genre.

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: August 28 2012 at 18:47
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

3rd time I saw Symphony X (in '07) they were disappointing. They played all of the songs waaaay too fast, which led to a lot of sloppiness.

1st time I ever saw them, they were pretty good, just a touch too fast in places, 2nd time was at the Gigantour, they only got to play for 30 minutes and were brilliant. All of the Nu-metal fans there were all 'who are these guys' when Symphony X were starting, afterwards I heard a lot of people near me stating 'holy carp, those guys were amazing!' 

4th (and last, so far) time was last year, 2011, and it was one of the better concerts I've seen (100+). They kept everything slowed down and no slop, they were on fire that night. Romeo started a song out too fast at one point, and Rullo came right in very loudly hammering away at a slower tempo to slow Romeo down, which worked, then the rest of the song was fine. I think they've seen the negative live reviews of them playing too fast, and are trying to work on it.

Date Posted: August 28 2012 at 18:53
 That's interesting about them live, I guess it was an issue and they have been working on it, because I saw em twice, in 2010 and 2011, and they were spot on. Sounded pretty much exactly like the album.

Edit: Also, they were epic performances

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: August 28 2012 at 22:01

That's interesting about them live, I guess it was an issue and they have been working on it, because I saw em twice, in 2010 and 2011, and they were spot on. Sounded pretty much exactly like the album.

Edit: Also, they were epic performances

Indeed, when I saw them last year they were near to perfect. If I loved the band as much as Brian does I wold most certainly have an orgasm.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2012 at 10:09
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am listening to Michael Pinnella's solo album Enter By The Twelfth Gate at the moment.  It is totally unlike anything that you would expect from a member of a power prog metal band.  It is made up mostly of piano concertos.  I already knew this from previous listens, but it still surprises me and I was bored so I thought that I would share that here.

That's interesting, I might have to check it out.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: August 29 2012 at 10:21
Hey guys, I'm a bit of a vinyl junkie, and I noticed that Insideout is re-releasing three of the earlier Symphony X albums on LP in a few weeks. I was wondering, out of the following:

The Damnation Game
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
The Odyssey

which one should a newbie to their music like me choose to listen to first?!   

The only thing I've got that's even releated to this band is the just above mentioned Michael Pinnella's solo album `Enter By The Twelfth Gate', which, although a little tedious in a few spots, is really very good!

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 29 2012 at 12:22
^Divine Wings..., no question about it.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: dtguitarfan
Date Posted: August 29 2012 at 12:24
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hey guys, I'm a bit of a vinyl junkie, and I noticed that Insideout is re-releasing three of the earlier Symphony X albums on LP in a few weeks. I was wondering, out of the following:

The Damnation Game
The Odyssey

The only thing I've got that's even releated to this band is the just above mentioned Michael Pinnella's solo album `Enter By The Twelfth Gate', which, although a little tedious in a few spots, is really very good!

The Divine Wings of Tragedy or The Odyssey would both be excellent choices. I, personally, would go with Odyssey.

-------------
http://tinyurl.com/cy43zzh" rel="nofollow - My 2012 List

Date Posted: August 30 2012 at 18:24
Thanks, guys, for your input! I'll check out some clips on Youtube to see if it's for me, but I thought I'd ask here first because, as we know, Prog Archives members have the best musical opinions of all!

Cheers!

Hmmm, I do like that `Odyssey' cover!

Date Posted: August 30 2012 at 18:42
I'm going to be seeing Symphony X headlining Prog Power USA soon, and I'm getting very excited....

-------------

Posted By: wjohnd
Date Posted: September 04 2012 at 08:57
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

The Damnation Game
The Odyssey

Either Divine Wings or The Odyssey..
personally i'd pick Divine first but they're on a par.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2012 at 16:51
Cheers Wjohnd!

Most replies seem to have pointed towards `Divine', so I think I'll give that one a try! Perhaps I'll look up the tracklisting and head to Youtube to see if there's any clips from it on there.

Thanks guys!

Date Posted: September 16 2012 at 13:38
Oh man, I just got back from Prog Power USA XIII, and I must say: I've seen Symphony X a total of 4 times now, and I've been to Prog Power USA 7 times now, and that was the best show I've ever seen at Prog Power USA and the best I've ever seen Symphony X play!  I was completely exhausted before their show (the festival starts at 2pm in the afternoon and usually goes past 2am both Friday and Saturday), and was falling asleep during the band that was before SX even though I thought they sounded good and was enjoying them.  But when Symphony X came out, the adrenaline in the audience was so strong it was palpable!  If Prog and Power Metal were a country, Symphony X would be the president!

-------------

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 03:21
Much love for the new Symphony X album "Iconoclast"!

Date Posted: October 21 2012 at 23:38
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

Much love for the new Symphony X album "Iconoclast"!

My least favorite album but, still good!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk