Print Page | Close Window

Who IS Frank Zappa

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72484
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 01:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who IS Frank Zappa
Posted By: Mushroom Sword
Subject: Who IS Frank Zappa
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:03
I am a long time prog lover. Classic Prog, other then that mainly dream theater. And the furthest I stray from progressive rock is Zeppelin and Hendrix, which both have very progressive aspects.

Now... I've read about Frank Zappa, and loved the idea of the music he makes. Now, I want to listen to what he does. The best of what he does. I read his Bio on the main site. I read all about him on Wikipedia. But through all of this you don't learn his music. And I don't really have the interest of listening to every single song from every album. So what's his best work? What has he done, what can you recommend? What's your favorite things about this man? Stories? Affairs? Mailmen? Who is this awesome person?

-------------

"I gazed into the eyes of the madman and I saw, and I saw,and I saw myself.

Replies:
Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:09
Zappa is a major commitment if you want to know the complete artist.  Be ready with time and lots of cash. 

If you want to take you time and do it right, start at the beginning and just move one album at a time without rushing yourself.  Freak Out is great, and moving chronologically allows you to see the growth and change of the work.  Just my opinion. 

If you only want to check out his one or two best albums, best listen to other's replies.  I'm not a Zappa expert....

......YET!

-------------

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:12
Joe's Garage is the place to start in my opinion.

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:13
Who is Frank Zappa?  This guy:

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
One Size Fits All. It really does. From there you can go anywhere. I dunno. Zoot Allures maybe?

-------------
"The pointy birds are pointy pointy
Anoint my head anointy nointy"
Steve Martin The Man With Two Brains

Posted By: The Quiet One

Albums for the beginner, depending your tastes:

Hot Rats or The Grand Wazoo (if you're a fan of jazz rock, these are amazing but you don't need to love the genre to appreciate this album, recommended for the starter)
Roxy & Elsewhere (for me, the best entry to Zappa's real world, you got it all here in the best shape possible)
One Size Fits All or Apostrophe or Over-Nite Sensation (intermediate Zappa, accessible and still highly accomplished compositions, plenty of humor but it doesn't affect the songs as they would do in the early 80s, also great place to start for the Prog fan)
Joe's Garage (if you can manage lots of humor and a rather mixture of different rock styles, this is one great fun piece, not Zappa's finest, but indeed a great and original one)
Burnt Weeny Sandwich (if you're into 60s proto-prog, you must check this out, unbelieavable late 60s material from Zappa and the Mothers)

You should know that I'm a big Zappa fan, love him as a composer and guitarist, pure genius in my opinion, creating highly complex stuff that is listenable and yet he adds a humor I'm fond of.

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:15
As far as the jazz rock side goes, I think The Grand Wazoo or Waka/Jawaka are better examples of the style than Hot RatsHot Rats is a great album, though.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:19
Before I've already listened to Bobby Brown and I am the Slime. The latter is pretty amazing, Bobby Brown is... different... And O.k. WiIll do to everyone who posted above.

...except saltyjon (
s first post).

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:19
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

As far as the jazz rock side goes, I think The Grand Wazoo or Waka/Jawaka are better examples of the style than Hot RatsHot Rats is a great album, though.

Waka/Jawaka is a failure for me with the exception of the title track, while The Grand Wazoo was the good result. Hot Rats though different musically to those two other jazz rock albums, it still is jazz rock in my opinion, and of high caliber, especially considering it was 1969.

Also, I would recommend Sleep Dirt way before Waka/Jawaka as a great jazz rock record.

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:20
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Waka/Jawaka is a failure for me with the exception of the title track, while The Grand Wazoo was the good result. Hot Rats though different musically to those two other jazz rock albums, it still is jazz rock in my opinion, and of high caliber, especially considering it was 1969.

Also, I would recommend Sleep Dirt way before Waka/Jawaka as a great jazz rock record.

Hot Rats mostly seems more bluesy than jazzy to me.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:22
Originally posted by Mushroom Sword Mushroom Sword wrote:

Before I've already listened to Bobby Brown and I am the Slime. The latter is pretty amazing, Bobby Brown is... different... And O.k. WiIll do to everyone who posted above.

...except saltyjon (
s first post).

Those two are some of his poppiest songs, which doesn't mean they're bad, but hardly shows what Frank was able to deliver.

If you're going to listen through youtube or somewhere else, make sure to check these compositions:

Peaches en Regalia
Eat that Question
Fifty/Fifty
Echidna's Arf (of you)
Inca Roads
Little House I Used to Live In
Black Napkins
Zoot Allures

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:24

Hot Rats mostly seems more bluesy than jazzy to me.

Interesting, I've never felt a bluesy feel to Hot Rats with the exception maybe of 'The Gumbo Variations' and 'Willie the Pimp'. 'It Must be a Camel', 'Little Umbrellas' and 'Son of Mr. Green Genes' for me are highly jazz inclined.

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:27

Originally posted by Mushroom Sword Mushroom Sword wrote:

...except saltyjon (
s first post).

Those two are some of his poppiest songs, which doesn't mean they're bad, but hardly shows what Frank was able to deliver.

If you're going to listen through youtube or somewhere else, make sure to check these compositions:

Peaches en Regalia
Eat that Question
Fifty/Fifty
Echidna's Arf (for you)
Inca Roads
Little House I Used to Live In
Black Napkins
Zoot Allures

Ok. Thank you. The solo from slime seems pretty awesome. But from reading his bio. And having "Avant-Garde" as a genre, I know that's not what I should be expecting. I really am open to hearing some really... off-the-wall sounds from him. I'm that kinda guy that's racist towards mainstream anything. (except Starship Trooper). Now enough about me. More about Mr. Smoke-on-the-water-reference.

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:33
Zappa's a very eclectic artist (I've always thought he would fit better in Eclectic than RIO/Avant, but that's another discussion).  If you want to hear the off-the-wall type stuff, check out an album like Weasels Ripped My Flesh!.

-------------

Posted By: tarkus1980
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:33
Burnt Weeny Sandwich

-------------
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:34

Zappa's a very eclectic artist (I've always thought he would fit better in Eclectic than RIO/Avant, but that's another discussion).  If you want to hear the off-the-wall type stuff, check out an album like Weasels Ripped My Flesh!.

Now that's a RIO album. Wink

Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:41

Now that's a RIO album. Wink

Indeed.  I have a feeling that if we did have album-by-album tagging, most of his more well known albums would be elsewhere.  That one belongs with us ZARTies, though. HugLOL

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 22 2010 at 23:50
If you want a really good sampling of songs from his career, the live album Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life is a good place to go.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 02:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If you want a really good sampling of songs from his career, the live album Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life is a good place to go.

a little bit too much covers I think, Love the version of Stairway to Heaven, well it is a very good live album so you can't go wrong there.

I liked Strictly Commerial, a collection of singles and the more popular tunes.

Basically I would go for some of the Live albums (Roxy and Elsewhere is pretty good).

for studio albums it would be all of them, I liked Where Only In It For The Money, Freak Out, Hot Rats , Apostrophe, Joe's Garage, Waka Jawaka, no really I mean all of them.

edit:    below post has some nice recomendations

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 02:47
get any and all of these (these are basically the top 15 best IMO)

One Size Fits All
Roxy & Elsewhere
Lather (probably his magnum opus)
Make A Jazz Noise Here
Uncle Meat
Hot Rats
Tinseltown Rebellion
The Grand Wazoo (and if you really dig that, get "Wazoo")
Zappa NY
Joe's Garage
Apostrophe (')
Overnite-Sensation
We're Only In It For The Money
Absolutely Free
Shiek Yer Bouti

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Roterstern
Date Posted: October 23 2010 at 05:28
Zappa is so great that continues to release yearly new albums even after his death! (and that's already more than 15 years!).
Amazingly prolific musician.

-------------
"Die Freude am schauen und begreifen ist die Schönste Gabe der Natur", A.E.

Posted By: arnold stirrup
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 17:19
One Size Fits All

Hot Rats

Uncle Meat

my "holy trinity".

then:

Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Waka/Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Shut Up And Play Your Guitar, Zappa In New York, Roxy And Elsewhere.

-------------
So much music. So little time.

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 18:26
Originally posted by Roterstern Roterstern wrote:

Zappa is so great that continues to release yearly new albums even after his death! (and that's already more than 15 years!).
Amazingly prolific musician.

Music from beyond the grave. Shocked

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: VanVanVan
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 18:52
I'm a big fan of his earlier stuff, specifically Absolutely Free, We're Only in it for the Money, and Uncle Meat. As someone who had a lot of trouble getting into Zappa those are the ones I would start with. 

But Hot Rats is probably a safe bet too.Wink

-------------
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen

Posted By: Majikthise
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 19:25

Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe' is the best one two punch ever. Start there.

Perfect blend of humour and awesome music. He has other albums that are either funnier or more technical, but none that have that same balance. Also, Apostrophe' contains Uncle Remus AKA the best song Zappa ever did.

Posted By: Pang Chi Nam
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 20:15
I started with Apostrophe then Joe's Garage, then Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar. Hot Rats is amazing as is One Size Fits All. Go to Zappa.com and listen to Zappa Radio.

-------------
"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limit."
-George Bernard Shaw

Posted By: Xanatos
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 20:59
Zappa is great nuff said , If i were you i would take hot rats , in general its a great album! 

Posted By: Rabid
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 22:43
Tinseltown Rebellion
Studio Tan.......(for off-the-wall)

Hot Rats
Waka Jawaka
The Grand Wazoo
Sleep Dirt.....(the non-vocal version*)......for musique.

Jazz from Hell
Civilization Phase III Act One + Two.............for abstract Synclavier

Apostrophe
Sheik Yerbouti
Live in New York
One Size Fits All
Roxy & Elsewhere
You Are What You Is
Overnite Sensation.......for humour and tight jazz-rock.

Guitar
Shut Up n' Play Yer Guitar.......for non-stop guitar solos.

* I got nothing against Moon Zappas vocals......I just prefer the original.

Smile

-------------
"...the thing IS, to put a motor in yourself..."

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 16:34
He's Moon Unit and Dweezil's daddy...

-------------

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 17:20
Best Place to start for New Zappa devotee  Overnite Sensation.  

-------------

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 17:56
We're Only In It For the Money - it's a difficult album to get into but it is the most rewarding listen once you do

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 18:36
just get LATHER!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 20:15
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Zappa is a major commitment if you want to know the complete artist.  Be ready with time and lots of cash. 

Nahhhh ... just run down to the nearest used store and you will find 3 albums in there for $3 dollars each! Good enough start ... and is in keeping with the Frank "scene" that expense is the defining factor in music ! ... he would love that one today I'm sure!

I do a lot of buying in Amazon and such and pick up some used stuff. I simply can not afford all the prices out there. I still buy a lot of new stuff, but a certain percentage of it is used, and they are not always expensive at all.

But yeah ... $30,000 would probably be the amount I would need to buy all the CD's in my record collection ... and that means that I have not even started buying the stuff I want and love to have, that is new ... that would easily be another $30,000 .... so I have to depend on what's left and be thrifty with my expenses.

But if you buy Frank, get it direct from them ... if there is one family that has fought so much against the rip offs and the corruption and is still putting it out for you with a lower price than the top 100 on Billboard ... you just have to decide if you want cheap music ... or real music!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 20:22
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Best Place to start for New Zappa devotee  Overnite Sensation.  

That is an easy one to mention because it was a commercial success and got him on radio big time. However, in many ways it is not exactly representative of the majority of his work at all, much of which may have some extended jams and other musical delights, whereas this album is less of that and much more radio oriented than anything else.

He knew it too! And his next album had a couple of long cuts to break the "song" and "radio" mentality right away ... (Apostrophe).

Best place to start with Frank is ... close your eyes, turn around and grab one and don't look at it until you have heard it all ... this way it won't matter what it is called. When you get done listening, you can look at it ... and I guarantee you that you will say, more than once ... that was cool ... totally cool ... and different too!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Bea
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 20:29

Who is Frank Zappa?  This guy:

you make me so happy. Smile Embarrassed

also - I'm in the all zappa is good zappa camp. - Pick one and jump in - he evolved alot - start at the begining - start at the middle - it's all great for what it is. Smile

-------------
"I Asyvw Rnxawcfbo Tohtrf Eaksp Allemnga Irthem Andq Nofqubj Eroamatt."

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 20:36
Don't follow these people giving you specific songs.  You're a prog rock fan so you know this, you gotta get ALBUMS.  Apostrophe and One Size Fits All are pretty accessible starting points (I've gotten many a Zappa fan started with Apostrophe).  From there if you just look up descriptions of his albums/era's you should be able to find whatever you're looking for.  

Personally my favorites are Grand Wazoo, Hot Rats, Roxy and Elsewhere (my absolute favorite), Weasels Ripped My Flesh (far from a good starting point though...), and Chunga's Revenge.  Though I have well over twenty Zappa albums, all of which are great.  I'd have to say my least favorite I've heard is Overnite Sensation, it's good, but a little poppy for my preference of Zappa.  

And all Zappa truly is good Zappa, but the people saying "just pick something and go" might possibly lead you astray.  I know for a fact that the first Zappa I ever heard was Waka/Jawaka, and while I thought it was interesting, it was a little in my face and hard to grasp.  Then after working my way from Freak Out up to it, I absolutely loved it and it remained my favorite for a year or so.

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 20:37

This one's the best, from a "lack of poop jokes" perspective

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 20:47
LOL @ lack of poop joke reference. 

God zappa is awesome. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 20:49
*crap* - I wasn't supposed to post anymore. :( I had 108 posts. :( Cry

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 20:49
Originally posted by Bea Bea wrote:

*crap* - I wasn't supposed to post anymore. :( I had 108 posts. :( Cry

what is the significance of that?

Date Posted: October 26 2010 at 21:16

-------------

Posted By: thechrisl
Date Posted: November 02 2010 at 22:09
If this doesn't hook ya it wasn't meant to be.  Wink

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: November 05 2010 at 09:18
All very much like theater to me. He got pegged for a while to actually be the person promoting porno sex through lyrics. Although he was handing out lyrics to band members directing them as if they were in a play. Many times each member would take on a role. His sacastic humour regarding sex in society was played out with individual characters. Underneath it all, (and on many albums), there was a message to not be a zombie and follow society's rules or overall indulgence into something that felt normal but in the real world was unhealthy and quite abnormal. This mission of expression turned up on "Were Only In It for the Money", where he is feverishly promoting the idea that hippie ways are are quite brainwashing. His most revealing idea was with the subject of the hippies wishing to over throw the goverment. A lot of my friends bought his records because they thought he was promoting sex for what was on their agenda. In the end, Zappa was making fun of all the stupied behaviour in the U.S. but, I think that because he was so sarcastic and intelligent about it, that it went over many people's heads and they took it with a different meaning. I make reference only to the east coast.

Date Posted: April 24 2012 at 14:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I should mention, for the Zappa noob, or novice, that even though this album was released in 1996, it was SUPPOSED to be released in 1976, so this is a true 70s prog album (excuse me, I mean, masterpiece).

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2012 at 14:24
Frank was also a master of the live show, as can be heard on many of this live albums. However, a lot of stuff has gone unreleased, and going on Zapateers.com can be very worthwhile. The site features LEGAL torrents of unreleased live shows from Frank's entire career, and many of them are soundboard quality, which more or less means it will sound like an official live album.

I recommend this show, as it's the same lineup as the Roxy & Elsewhere live album (which is one of his best albums.) It's A+ quality, meaning it's pristine and clear.
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=22363&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" rel="nofollow - http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=22363&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You have to be a member of Zappateers to view the download links. It takes literally 3 seconds to sign up if you're not already a member.

-------------

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: April 24 2012 at 17:59
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Joe's Garage is the place to start in my opinion.
No.

"We're Only In It For The Money" for early Mothers
"Uncle Meat" for late Mothers
"Hot Rats" for his early fusion
"Grand Wazoo" for spectacular big band
"Just Another Band From L.A." for weird theatrical comedy rock
"Over-nite Sensation" for seventies fusion/rock blend
"Roxy & Elsewhere" for more great fusion/rock
"Sheik Yerbouti" for funny songs
"The Best Band You've Never Heard In Your Life" for an idea of what his concerts were like.

Eacl album has great stuff on them, but for a sampling, these are what I recommend.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 24 2012 at 18:30
Here's Frank's memorable appearance on the Steve Allen Show, 1963.  Still clean shaven at this point, and still fancying himself a composer as opposed to a rock musician.  And still as funny as ever.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: April 24 2012 at 20:22
All I know is that Frank Zappa IS dead.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2012 at 21:22
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

All I know is that Frank Zappa IS dead.

He's not dead. He just smells funny Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2012 at 21:25
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Here's Frank's memorable appearance on the Steve Allen Show, 1963.  Still clean shaven at this point, and still fancying himself a composer as opposed to a rock musician.  And still as funny as ever.

Awesome!! Thanks.

Date Posted: April 24 2012 at 21:31
Been listening to Make A Jazz Noise Here today, if you like more instrumental side of Zappa's music, with a dash of humor, this is the album to get. Masterpiece status, and goes well with Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life, I just wish there weren't so many covers on that one.

-------------

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: April 24 2012 at 23:18

Saw that vid once. A nice little precursor to the percussion antics of Larks - era King Crimson.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: April 25 2012 at 01:15
FREAK OUT! and Waka/Jawaka are my favorites

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: April 25 2012 at 01:15

Steve Allen is such a dick

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 13:56
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

All very much like theater to me. He got pegged for a while to actually be the person promoting porno sex through lyrics.

Which early radio loved to chase as obscenity and try to steal money from the hip'r radio stations ... to make sure they did not succeed.

His sacastic humour regarding sex in society was played out with individual characters. Underneath it all, (and on many albums), there was a message to not be a zombie and follow society's rules or overall indulgence into something that felt normal but in the real world was unhealthy and quite abnormal.

Two things here. The conventional and literary styles do not like profanity or things that suggest some kind of un-savory this or that. In general, anyone using words frivolously like that will get ... some kind of trouble. They did the same thing 50 or 60 years ago with Jean Genet and many others.

This has become less of an issue in 2000 with all the rap and stuff out there that uses these words much faster and much stronger than Frank ever did. But somehow it is ok for a black to say it, but not a white ... he would have loved that one today and would have speared it mercilessly, I bet!

The zombie part is important. In general, when you have a top ten, and this board is a "slight" (not total - ever) example, the majority of folks and opinions all sign on each other first before listening or purchasing, and the ones that are different are always considered "politically incorrect" by some, and ... something else by others.

The point is ... that if you can only appreciate what someone else does, you can not make up your own mind ... and by the time you do? ... you're now not a part of the band, or this group, or no one likes you!

It's a tough choice either way you look at it.

This mission of expression turned up on "Were Only In It for the Money", where he is feverishly promoting the idea that hippie ways are are quite brainwashing.

Just as the ROTC was on all campuses and the advertising for the USARMY and NAVY .... at a time when all your friends, or children would end up going to VietNam! The hippy thing was a disaster right after the flowers in yor hair thing ... why? it brought to California the largest number of morons and idiots and stoneys you ever saw ... and these folks were the ones that took the honesty out of it all.

So, in terms of brainwashing, flowers in your hair is no different than a crew cut! But some folks got indignant because he said that ....

Is it any different today?

Nope!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 13:57
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Steve Allen is such a dick

Funny thing is/was that PDQ Bach was already doing this on stage with much funnier music. Quite different than Frank's really, but sometimes much more enjoyable! Unffortunately this site is not funny enough to appreciate the progressiveness of someone like PDQ Bach and his humor.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: May 04 2012 at 10:23

Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 18:33
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-31/frank-zappa-trademark-no-longer-valid-in-germany-court-rules.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-31/frank-zappa-trademark-no-longer-valid-in-germany-court-rules.html

Good news for Zappanale, an annual Zappa festival held in Germany every summer.  Gail Zappa's been fighting with them over the use of Frank's name.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: stacyj
Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 21:57
...well, ...um,he has a daughter?
..."and watch out where those huskys go
and dont you eat that yellow snow" !!!

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: June 01 2012 at 02:08
I would check out Zappa in this ordre:
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5407" rel="nofollow - - Apostrophe (')  1974  My favorite, mid 70's Jazzy, but still with the funny lyrics
In this direction : Overnite S.
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5328" rel="nofollow - - Waka / Jawaka  1972
In this direction : Hot Rats, Sleep Dirt

When you are past the 4 bacis steps : 
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5414" rel="nofollow - - Civilization Phaze III  1994 Zappa as the modern composer, great album
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5403" rel="nofollow - - The Grand Wazoo
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5331" rel="nofollow - - Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar (The Box Set)  is a must have, if you like "the guitar" side of FZ.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Lurtzman1
Date Posted: October 10 2012 at 19:48
Want to Revive this topic, as many people (I was one of them, so I should know) don't know where to start when it comes to Zappa. It all depends on what you like. Jazz: Hot Rats/Grand Wazoo. Comedy Rock: Apostrophe. Satire: Joe's Garage/We're Only in it For the Money. Psychedelia: Absolutely Free. Though, if I had one album to say defined him, it would probably be Joe's Garage.

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: October 12 2012 at 16:00
I guess if you love Jazz-Fusion, you should listen to Hot Rats first, then Grand Wazoo. But if you want music that is really defining him and his lyrics, you should check Joe's Garage, Over-Nite-Sensation and Apostrophe ('). I am like you. I am discovering his music right now.

-------------
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle

Date Posted: October 13 2012 at 15:05

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-31/frank-zappa-trademark-no-longer-valid-in-germany-court-rules.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-31/frank-zappa-trademark-no-longer-valid-in-germany-court-rules.html

Good news for Zappanale, an annual Zappa festival held in Germany every summer.  Gail Zappa's been fighting with them over the use of Frank's name.

This is one example of Gail and Dweezil being silly, when they should be there and selling their product and take home a nice bundle! And learn something about art and music in Europe that Dweezil has no idea about, and will never do or be able to appreciate, other than his garage rock mentality!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 13 2012 at 15:13
Hate to say this, but despite his great image as a "merciless critic of the right", Frank Zappa  was a card carrying, dues paying member of the NRA. Oh, well, nobody is perfect. He still had a unique invective.

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: October 13 2012 at 15:38
Apart from the fact that I doubt this is true (a Google search only brings up some Grand Funk guy who claims a song of theirs changed Zappa's mind on guns - rather dubious), I don't see how one negates the other.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 14 2012 at 00:49
Shut Up n' Play Yer Guitar

Date Posted: October 14 2012 at 00:50
Shut Up n' Play Yer Guitar Some More

Date Posted: October 14 2012 at 00:51
Return of the Son of Shut Up n' Play Yer Guitar

Date Posted: October 14 2012 at 08:22
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Hate to say this, but despite his great image as a "merciless critic of the right", Frank Zappa  was a card carrying, dues paying member of the NRA. Oh, well, nobody is perfect. He still had a unique invective.
If true, that really surprises me -- but not because of the issues the NRA supports, but rather because Zappa was suspicious of large organizations in general.  It doesn't surprise me that Zappa would be in favor of gun ownership rights - it just surprises me he would join a group dedicated to that purpose.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 13:33
Has anyone looked at the list of the re-released Zappa albums? 

http://www.gandsmusic.com/ZappaCD1.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.gandsmusic.com/ZappaCD1.htm

This one intrigues me:

Sleep Dirt

Analog transfer by Joe Travers 2012. Re-mastered by Bob Ludwig, Gateway Mastering 2012. Now without vocals and drum overdubs!

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 13:48

Has anyone looked at the list of the re-released Zappa albums? 

http://www.gandsmusic.com/ZappaCD1.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.gandsmusic.com/ZappaCD1.htm

This one intrigues me:

Sleep Dirt

Analog transfer by Joe Travers 2012. Re-mastered by Bob Ludwig, Gateway Mastering 2012. Now without vocals and drum overdubs!

Huh, cool.  I guess they're returning it to its original vinyl mix.  A lot of fans didn't like the versions with Thana Harris's vocals.  I thought they gave the album some variety.  I believe the non-vocal mixes are similar or identical to the ones used for Lather.  I wasn't aware of the drum overdubs though.  I might want to repurchase this one too, eventually!

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 13:55
Best Buy has a bunch of the re-releases for $9.99; though the Sleep Dirt one is $13.99. My local shop has it for a whopping $12.99 hah.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 13:57
They're toying with you, to make sure you really want it.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 14:04
I do. I also want the Hot Rats one, Grand Wazoo, Waka Jawaka, and One Size Fits All. They're all from the original master tapes. Most of the reissues are too, some aren't though. I'm in no rush to re-collect all the FZ albums though. I wish FZNY and Roxy were reissued from the masters, but it might be because they're live albums that they're not. Also, with the possibility of the Roxy DVDs/BlueRay coming out next year, it won't matter.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 14:11

This one intrigues me:

Sleep Dirt

I love how all the reviews on PA that dock points for the vocals now make no sense anymore. Wink

Posted By: Canterzeuhl
Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 14:18
So if I wanted the version of 'We're Only in it for the Money' with uncensored lyrics in the 'Mother People' song, where could I get that? Have those lyrics been restored in this remastering?

These different masters of things confuse the flip out of me.

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 14:23
I still have a problem with those albums that came from Lather (Studio Tan, Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favorites (FZNY being an exception)). I still think Lather is the man's ultimate masterpiece, and to break it up into other albums (6 albums if you include Shiek Yer Bouti and Joe's Garage as they have material also featured on Lather), is terrible. Sure, OF, SD, and FZNY have stuff not on Lather, and vis-versa, but those pieces could have made up a whole new album anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 14:46
Originally posted by Canterzeuhl Canterzeuhl wrote:

So if I wanted the version of 'We're Only in it for the Money' with uncensored lyrics in the 'Mother People' song, where could I get that? Have those lyrics been restored in this remastering?

These different masters of things confuse the flip out of me.
I think the only place to get that now is in the "Lumpy Money" box set, which you can buy from Barfko-Swill.  I don't have it, as there's not really enough "new" material on it to interest me, but I've heard it's very illuminating and well done.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 15:56
Originally posted by Canterzeuhl Canterzeuhl wrote:

There is no uncensored version of the original "Mother People" mix without the overdubs. There never has been. There's an alternative mix on the Mothermania album (available for download on zappa.com and soon to be released on CD as part of the reissue program) that includes the uncensored verse but is different in some aspects. The 1986 remix with the overdubbed drums and bass tracks has the uncensored lyrics, but of course it also has rhythm tracks that were recorded 17 years after the original album. It's out of print, so you'll have to look around for a copy. The current version is the same as the original album, with the original instruments and the censored verse. In fact this album hasn't been remastered at all for the reissue campaign. And I very much doubt that it would still be possible at this point to create a version with the original lyrics, because the tapes - which were already in bad shape in 1986 -  are probably completely degraded at this point.

Edit: Right, the Lumpy Money box set has the 1986 remix as well.

I still have a problem with those albums that came from Lather (Studio Tan, Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favorites (FZNY being an exception)). I still think Lather is the man's ultimate masterpiece, and to break it up into other albums (6 albums if you include Shiek Yer Bouti and Joe's Garage as they have material also featured on Lather), is terrible. Sure, OF, SD, and FZNY have stuff not on Lather, and vis-versa, but those pieces could have made up a whole new album anyway.

They don't just have tracks that are not on Läther, most of the songs are also present in different mixes or entirely different recordings. For example, Sleep Dirt is still the only place where you can get the full-length versions of Filthy Habits, Flambay and The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution. The versions on Läther are all drastically cut, in the case of Ocean by about five minutes.

As great as Läther is in aggregate, it still doesn't erase the purpose of the original albums.

Date Posted: October 16 2012 at 16:11
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

There is no uncensored version of the original "Mother People" mix without the overdubs. There never has been.
This is true.  I just wanted to confirm that I was in fact referring to the overdubbed version in my prior post.  Thanks for clarifying.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Lifeofprog
Date Posted: October 19 2012 at 11:02
I think the best place to start is FREAK OUT.This is the album that was a MAJOR influence on the Beatles SGT. PEPPER.The album itself like many of Zappa's is a social commentary on California society as well as a heavy critique of corporate America.The production is ragged,the music sometimes out of time and tune...all elements of the best music that came out of the 60's! lol
Zappa is very difficult to get into initially because of his non-commitment to commercial music and his incredibly complex and off beat harmonic musical mind.He is an incedible guitar player and a great intellect.In my op' Zappa,Mike Oldfield and Brian Wilson can be considered the grand old men of symphonic rock

Date Posted: October 19 2012 at 11:13
Originally posted by Lifeofprog Lifeofprog wrote:

I think the best place to start is FREAK OUT.This is the album that was a MAJOR influence on the Beatles SGT. PEPPER.The album itself like many of Zappa's is a social commentary on California society as well as a heavy critique of corporate America.The production is ragged,the music sometimes out of time and tune...all elements of the best music that came out of the 60's! lol
Zappa is very difficult to get into initially because of his non-commitment to commercial music and his incredibly complex and off beat harmonic musical mind.He is an incedible guitar player and a great intellect.In my op' Zappa,Mike Oldfield and Brian Wilson can be considered the grand old men of symphonic rock
I had always suspected that Freak Out might have had an influence on Pepper, but part of me always thought that Zappa was too obscure at the time to influence much of anybody.  So I did a quick search on Google and did indeed find a reference to Paul saying that Pepper was "our Freak Out", referring to Zappa's album.  Interesting.

And welcome to the forum! Big smile

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: October 19 2012 at 11:38
Zappa (and The Mothers) were relatively popular in the 60s and 70s (and 80s?). It doesn't seem like it when you read the history of music at that time, but every time I do a little research, FZ was quite the household name.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2012 at 11:59
Zappa until 1968 suffered from the Velvet Underground syndrome. Nobody bought his records, but the few that did all started a band themselves.

Date Posted: December 04 2012 at 09:49
Frank Zappa passed away 19 years ago today.  I remember I was at work when I got a call from my friend telling me the news.  There was a friend at work I had just "turned on" to Zappa's work, and I went over and told her, "Frank's dead."  We both commiserated a while, consoled a bit by the fact that he produced a LOT of music in his lifetime, much of which had not even yet been released.  There would be more, and in a way he would live on.

12/21/1940 - 12/4/1993  RIP.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 04 2012 at 21:22
Yes, today is the sad day. It amazes me that almost 25 albums (not including box sets like Greasy Love Songs, MOFO, or Lumpy Money) have been released since his passing, most of which are great, many including previously unreleased material, and should be in anyone's Zappa collection. At least 3-4 more are supposed to be out within the next year or so, including the Roxy performances, "The Lost Episodes Vol. II", and "Finer Moments", and it doesn't look like there's going to be a shortage of new stuff any time soon.

RIP

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2012 at 02:57

At least 3-4 more are supposed to be out within the next year or so, including the Roxy performances

Don't count on it. They set up a ridiculous scheme to finance it, which revolves around selling the masters to a 'preview' CD to 1000 people for 1000 bucks, so that those guys can distribute them. Which might sound clever at first, but then you start to think about the quantities that these people would have to sell just to break even and realize that the whole thing can never work. There are maybe 20,000-30,000 people in the world who would want to buy this CD, probably less considering that a film version of it is supposed to be released next year. This amounts to 20-30 people per distributor at best. And from the looks of it, the ZFT is relying on the 1 million bucks they expect from selling these masters to finish the film.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 05 2012 at 03:25
Zappa was one of the most diverse and incredible composers in the history of modern music.  I guess you already figured that out (in writing).  Now, from the 60's - 'Uncle Meat' is an adventurous double album showcasing many different styles and approaches the man undertook with his band of classy (if often drugged out) musicians (The Mothers of Invention).  From the 70's - The Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka are highly recommended first up.  From there, most of his 70's work is impressive (if a bit crass toward the end of the decade).  The 80's, hmmmm, I'd say 'Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch', which tackles his brand of skewed pop and complex instrumental extravaganzae, again selecting a host of top musicians at the time.  From my point of view, you had to be a fantastic 'master-of-your-instrument' to perform with this man. I currently have 31 of Zappa's albums and find each have much to enjoy, even if some are more inconsistent than others.

Posted By: Rushforever
Date Posted: December 06 2012 at 13:13
few days ago I started to listening to "the best of... Frank Zappa". Absolutely incredible! 
And now this topic... maybe I need 2 or 3 years to listen WELL everything :D
Hard work!!!

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 10:01
I got Orchestral Favorites in the mail yesterday, I forgot how awesome that album is. Never owned a hard copy, and I got the reissue, along with a bunch of others. I'll be updating the FZ 2012 reissues thread soon.

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 13:18

Yeah ... but he used his guns with his mouth!

And it is much better remembered and appreciated than a lot of killers and animals! You're still buying the albums and enjoying the music!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 13:29

I have absolutely no interest in getting into the discussion of Frank as an NRA member, but remember, he was attacked on stage in 1971, leaving him crippled for the better part of a year. Of course, he always had a bodyguard when he was on tour after that, but surely he could have been attacked on the street, especially with having such a recognizable face. I'm sure Dimebag Darrell would have benefitted from being able to defend himself when he was shot and killed on stage a few years back.

-------------

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 13:36
Frank Zappa is Jesus. Also, please, no religious discussions here.

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 14:18
I prefer to think that Zappa was God.

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 14:49
Cool article I just saw in the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-ent-1231-cjo-20121230,0,2200496.column" rel="nofollow - http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-ent-1231-cjo-20121230,0,2200496.column

"Frank Zappa probably would have been intrigued.  The Chicago Jazz Orchestra's brave, often brilliant, sometimes thrilling, somewhat flawed Zappa tribute at the Park West on Saturday night gave his music a spotlight it does not routinely receive in the big-band jazz repertory.

Certainly the CJO does not often perform with a wailing electric guitar, howling electric violin and plugged-in, souped-up, hyperactive rhythm section driving the ensemble through treacherously difficult scores of this sort."

etc. etc.  Check out the article!  

Date Posted: January 03 2013 at 10:46
What kind of a man would write these 3 albums in a row?
Lather

Conceptually, these all run together as a trilogy. The conceptual continuity is all over Frank's music, but these three are linked by the events surrounding Lather, the "in between tracks" found on Lather and Shiek, and you can even see that somewhere in the beginning of Lather, is a short version of Little Green Rosetta, and Joe's Garage ends with A Little Green Rosetta, longer and with a lot of crazy stuff. 

It's a 5+ hour listen, but how do you guys feel about this? I thought about it earlier, and thought it was a cool enough idea to present to the PA Zappa fans.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2013 at 11:35
I'm sure I've posted this before, post dejavoodoo.  The Real Frank Zappa Book is a good read.  My copy was ruined in a major house flood.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Frank-Zappa-Book/dp/0671705725/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357234474&sr=1-1&keywords=the+real+frank+zappa+book" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Real-Frank-Zappa-Book/dp/0671705725/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357234474&sr=1-1&keywords=the+real+frank+zappa+book

-------------

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: January 03 2013 at 11:39

What kind of a man would write these 3 albums in a row?
Lather

Conceptually, these all run together as a trilogy. The conceptual continuity is all over Frank's music, but these three are linked by the events surrounding Lather, the "in between tracks" found on Lather and Shiek, and you can even see that somewhere in the beginning of Lather, is a short version of Little Green Rosetta, and Joe's Garage ends with A Little Green Rosetta, longer and with a lot of crazy stuff. 

It's a 5+ hour listen, but how do you guys feel about this? I thought about it earlier, and thought it was a cool enough idea to present to the PA Zappa fans.

Guess I'm going to have to do this now. LOL

Also, I've been in love with The Adventures of Greggery Peccary lately. What a solid track.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: January 03 2013 at 11:46
So far, Finer Moments is pretty great. It's like a long lost album that should have been released in 1972 (actually, it is a long lost album that was supposed to be released in 1972). It flows like a Zappa album (quick segues between tracks), as it was created and edited by the man himself. This is the first time we've gotten something so close to a completely brand new Zappa album like this since the first 4 tracks of One Shot Deal back in 2008, which was an LP side that Frank made that never made it to an album while he was alive.

Guys, you have to get Finer Moments, it's not just a post-humous album of random studio/live tracks that Joe Travers and Gail Zappa compiled, or a full concert performance (as great as those are); it's a true, actual FZ double album, with studio edits, quick segues, and some other weird stuff, that fills in the gap between the Flo and Eddie era and the Wazoo era. Oh, and the music kicks some serious ass.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2013 at 11:49
Never thought of those three as a trilogy, but since there is a certain common thread running through almost all of his albums, and since he treated his albums as part of some big macrostructure anyway, it's not far fetched at all to see them as a trio.

I will take this opportunity, though, to "call BS" on Joe's Garage a little bit.  I can't help but feel like the concept/storyline was just kind of grafted on after the fact, and it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me anyway.  A lot of the songs were recycled from older days (e.g. "Stick it Out" from the old 1971 "Sofa" suite, "A Token of My Extreme" from the Roxy era, "Green Rosetta" from Lather, etc), and that also suggests to me that he was reaching a bit.  Of course, it IS Frank Zappa, who couldn't make a bad album if he tried.  So it's still a good album, and it does seem to work on some level, both as a rock album and as a story line.   Still, there are too many random detours (Sy Borg? wtf is that?) to really remain convincing to me.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk