URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72754
Printed Date: May 19 2024 at 02:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Newbie from Namibia
Posted By: King Manuel
Subject: Newbie from Namibia
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 06:57

Hello Everybody,

I am from Namibia, a dry and arid but beautiful country in southern Africa. Probably I am the only prog fan here. But having lived in Germany from 1999 to 2007 allowed me to assemble a nice prog collection. Nowadays I rely on itunes and Amazon to stock my collection.

I like quite a variety of styles and bands with a slight prefernce for Neo-Prog. Favourites being  Phideaux, Van der Graaf Generator, Camel, Genesis, Yes, IQ, Marillion, Pallas, Rush, Dream Theater, Sieges Even,  Carptree, Spock´s Beard, Arena, Simon Says, Transatlantic, Arena, Ayreon, Pain of Salvation, Haggard, Izz, .... 

Bands who everybody seems to like but who I can not stand  are  Porcupine Tree, ELP, and King Crimson.

Greetings

King Manuel

Replies:
Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 07:04
nice a prog fan south of sahara that is indeed cool, welcome

also a nice list of bands their I like Pallas as well, nearly all the bands you mention are great and melodic

if i could recomend anything that would be Saga, Gentle Giant, Major Parkinson, Supertramp, and Nektar great melodic bands

-------------

Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 07:16
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

nice a prog fan south of sahara that is indeed cool, welcome

also a nice list of bands their I like Pallas as well, nearly all the bands you mention are great and melodic

if i could recomend anything that would be Saga, Gentle Giant, Major Parkinson, Supertramp, and Nektar great melodic bands

Thanks for the Welcome! Yes Saga is also often in my CD player, have also  seen them live in Germany a few years ago, Supetramp and Nektar are also familiar to me. Major Parkinson, never heard of, will check them out.

Greeting from South of the Sahara to rainy Norway (been there once for a week, rainy but also beautiful)!

Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 07:20
and if by chance know of some odd African (or Namibian), prog rock, jazz fusion, folk prog music then that should not be held back

and were not the sprinter Frankie Fredricks from Namibia (I am a fan of track'n 'field so I know he is sort of a local hero)

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 07:31
Welcome to ProgArchives from green and wet Wales.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 08:51
As with Snow Dog, a warm Welsh welcome. Lovely to see a Southern African presence.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 08:52
It is definitely cool to see a prog fan from the country of Namibia, welcome to the site Thumbs Up

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 11:07
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

and if by chance know of some odd African (or Namibian), prog rock, jazz fusion, folk prog music then that should not be held back

and were not the sprinter Frankie Fredricks from Namibia (I am a fan of track'n 'field so I know he is sort of a local hero)

Some Prog from our Neighbour country South Africa: YES!!!  (Actually only Trevor Rabin), and of course Manfred Mann (although the man left South Africa quite a while ago).

From SA I like very much a trio called Tananas. They played a complex mixture of folk/jazz/Worl Music fusion. Would probably apeal to quite a number of prog fans.Unfortunately the Vocalist and bass player, Gito Baloi, was murdered a few years ago.

In Namibia I have not found a prog band. Here you find a lot of Kwaito/Hip Hop outfits and a very vibrant Heavy Metal scene. Acana XXII was a Namibian Metal band who released two albums in Europe. They don´t exist anymore. (I once played with their guitarist in a band many many years ago).

Apart from Frankie we can boast with a former Miss Universe Michelle McLean.

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 19:19
cool,

their is a progmetal section here and also a sister page called Metal Music Archives whom probably would like some Namibian  metal

it is only possitive to seek anny corner of the world to find a hidden prog gem, their is always somting spessial, (western cultural influence which prog rock is for the most part)

-------------

Posted By: Takeshi Kovacs
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 19:26
As from Snow Dog and lazland, a warm Welsh welcome from me too!

-------------
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 19:42
Originally posted by Takeshi Kovacs Takeshi Kovacs wrote:

As from Snow Dog and lazland, a warm Welsh welcome from me too!

I had no idea. Hi there Chris...from whereabouts in Wales do you reside?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 20:14
Dear god, I thought you said you were a ''newbie from NAMBLA'' at first. 

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: October 30 2010 at 23:14
Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

Hello Everybody,

I am from Namibia, a dry and arid but beautiful country in southern Africa. Probably I am the only prog fan here. But having lived in Germany from 1999 to 2007 allowed me to assemble a nice prog collection. Nowadays I rely on itunes and Amazon to stock my collection.

I like quite a variety of styles and bands with a slight prefernce for Neo-Prog. Favourites being  Phideaux, Van der Graaf Generator, Camel, Genesis, Yes, IQ, Marillion, Pallas, Rush, Dream Theater, Sieges Even,  Carptree, Spock´s Beard, Arena, Simon Says, Transatlantic, Arena, Ayreon, Pain of Salvation, Haggard, Izz, .... 

Bands who everybody seems to like but who I can not stand  are  Porcupine Tree, ELP, and King Crimson.

Greetings

King Manuel

Hello back to Namibia. I have fond memories of prog and Namibia, Going For The One at the bottom of Fish River canyon, Genesis at Kuiseb and Spitzkop, and the incredible Adrian Borland and The Sound at Etosha. When Mukurob still stood....

Enjoy the site!

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 01:17

... and driving through the Namib desert with Shine on yourcrazy diamond as soundtrack  still gets me after I don´t know how many times. And hooting at Windhoek taxis while Dream Theater is blasting through my car´s sound system!

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 13:47

welcome to the PA...from green and wet Seattle, Washington USA.....

-------------

Posted By: June
Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 16:13
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

It is definitely cool to see a prog fan from the country of Namibia, welcome to the site Thumbs Up

Indeed.

Welcome Smile (from whitening Canada)

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 16:45
Wow, Namibia, it's always nice to see how we prog fans are all over the planet. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 18:27
I am from Mars

-------------

Posted By: dtd350
Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 18:59
Welcome to PA.  Enjoy your stay here.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/dtd350

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 08 2010 at 07:46
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

Hello Everybody,

Greetings

King Manuel

Hello back to Namibia. I have fond memories of prog and Namibia, Going For The One at the bottom of Fish River canyon, Genesis at Kuiseb and Spitzkop, and the incredible Adrian Borland and The Sound at Etosha. When Mukurob still stood....

Enjoy the site!
That must be the first time I've seen Adrian Borland mentioned on PA. He went to my school and I knew him vaguely. A sad loss.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk