Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73100
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 14:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nine Inch Nails vs. Radiohead
Posted By: adace1
Subject: Nine Inch Nails vs. Radiohead
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 21:52
I had to compare them since they're two of my all time favorite bands. What's your opinion?

Replies:
Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 21:53
Radiohead

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 21:54
Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

Radiohead

+1

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 22:04
Radiohead. Much as In Rainbows was a complete letdown in every way, and they're not even close to as good as anyone in the press says, NIN is just too damn inconsistent, and Trent frankly hasn't made a truly stellar album in 16 years, though The Fragile is still pretty good. I can't wait for the reissue of Pretty Hate Machine. The tracks from it sound 1000% better on All That Could Have Been Live than on the album.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 22:07
That's kind of hard for me.  Sympathy vote to NIN. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 22:18
Haven't yet heard music I've enjoyed from Ninch Inch Nails (haven't heard any full albums, just various tracks from different albums), but am open to suggestions.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 22:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Haven't yet heard music I've enjoyed from Ninch Inch Nails (haven't heard any full albums, just various tracks from different albums), but am open to suggestions.

Can you name names?  If you really want my opinion I'm always glad to help. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 22:39
NIN. Raidohead are good, but overrated.

-------------

Posted By: The Tourist
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 22:40
I've been listening to both bands for a very long time and I've seen them both live several times. I think Radiohead are more consistent so I'll vote for them. The only album by them I wouldn't call brilliant is their debut. 

Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 23:25
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Can you name names?  If you really want my opinion I'm always glad to help. Big smile

All opinions are appreciated.

"Hurt" is about the only song I remember the name of.  Some of what I heard was very crude, and I recall one very tasteless video.  Unless I hear music a lot or have albums, I rarely remember titles.  I didn't like the vocals, or those with coarser lyrics, so instrumentals would be safer (if you can name  a couple particularly, you think, good ones, then I'll try find if it's streaming somewhere since I'm not about to buy any NIN albums).

Thanks.

-------------

Posted By: TheFocusingBlur
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 23:48
To be quite honest? I can't see myself comparing the two. 

Posted By: Nightshine
Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 23:48
Nine Inch Nails.  As much as Radiohead are cool, I believe what Mr. Reznor has done for the industry is..well...beyond phenomenal actually.  He manages to blend his lyrics and music nicely together in order to portray themes of which he so desires.  And he's up front about it as well.

Also, NIN is more reflective of society imo.

Also, to those of you who want albums: The Downward Spiral is an excellent start.

Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 23:49
^I'd recommend The Mark Has Been Made, Corona Radiata (best ambient piece I've ever heard), A Warm Place, and 28 Ghosts IV. Actually, the entire "Ghosts" album is instrumental but I think the best ones are the ones I just listed.

Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 23:59
Originally posted by adace1 adace1 wrote:

^I'd recommend The Mark Has Been Made, Corona Radiata (best ambient piece I've ever heard), A Warm Place, and 28 Ghosts IV. Actually, the entire "Ghosts" album is instrumental but I think the best ones are the ones I just listed.

Thanks, adace.  I'd heard about that instrumental album.  Will definitely look into your recommendations.

-------------

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 04:43
NIN, Radiohead are good but too boring.

-------------

Posted By: Synchestra
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 05:14
Raaaadiohead. I quite like NIN though, but my Radiohead binges often last for weeks.

-------------
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 05:35
NIN by a country mile. Radiohead sound like I feel, NIN makes me feel like I sound.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 06:52

"Hurt" is about the only song I remember the name of.  Some of what I heard was very crude, and I recall one very tasteless video.  Unless I hear music a lot or have albums, I rarely remember titles.  I didn't like the vocals, or those with coarser lyrics, so instrumentals would be safer (if you can name  a couple particularly, you think, good ones, then I'll try find if it's streaming somewhere since I'm not about to buy any NIN albums).

Some of the best NIN songs: Hurt (but you've heard it and don't like it.)  This version is pretty cool.  Credit to Dean for turning me on to it:

Granted, Trent does overuse profanity. LOL  Cash stripped it out for his version and I've read that Reznor started doing it Cash style, lyrically.

Other good ones which back up NIN's inclusion on this site:
Pinion
Last
A Warm Place
The Downward Spiral
La Mer
The Great Below
The Perfect Drug

Head Like a Hole
Sunspots
Right Where It Belongs
In This Twilight
Zero-Sum

I'm a big fan of Radiohead, too.

And oh yes, I have a collection of their videos.  Absolutely tasteless, but I still like them.

-------------

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 07:00
Radiohead even if just slightly related with prog rock, has it's moments for sure for me.

NIN - you're joking?

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 09:58
Neither of them are my cup of tea, but I like Nine Inch Nails better.

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 10:34
Unbelievably, one of them had a record in the 80s and was part of a synthpop outfit that did Billy Idol covers.

The other one is absolute trash that has nothing to do with the 80s, and as such, deserves to be wiped from the collective consciousness of the entire world.

Posted By: dedokras
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 10:53
Walter, your posts are such fun to read, even if I don't usually agree they always make me smile Clap

-------------
http://mlyk.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: alanight
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 12:30
Actually, Radiohead is far away from any band. In this site or not.

Posted By: LateralMe
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:11
I don't consider either of them to be Prog, but I'm going to go with NIN.

-------------
A Flower!?

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Some of the best NIN songs: Hurt (but you've heard it and don't like it.)  This version is pretty cool.  Credit to Dean for turning me on to it:

Granted, Trent does overuse profanity. LOL  Cash stripped it out for his version and I've read that Reznor started doing it Cash style, lyrically.

Other good ones which back up NIN's inclusion on this site:
Pinion
Last
A Warm Place
The Downward Spiral
La Mer
The Great Below
The Perfect Drug

Head Like a Hole
Sunspots
Right Where It Belongs
In This Twilight
Zero-Sum

I'm a big fan of Radiohead, too.

And oh yes, I have a collection of their videos.  Absolutely tasteless, but I still like them.

I've heard the Cash version before.  I like that. The other one you linked to, not what I was hoping for (far too vocals-oriented and I don't generally care for distorted, vocoder type vocal effects, though it worked well on 21st Century Schizoid Man, but it's trick that I think has been much overused. If I warm up to various instrumentals, then I may be ready for other music.  I checked "Pinion", instrumental, but not my taste. Find it too heavily unpleasant.  Nine Inch Nails does exotica would suit me better. LOL

I guess I saw a few videos that I found rather repulsive. One I seem to remember was a combo of homo-erotic and sadism or masochism -- hmm, a bondage type video. Leather and pain.

It may be about the crudest/ foul mouthed act I've come across in PA other than Tool which can be really disgusting (sure there are plenty of crude ones in Tech/Extreme).  I must admit to being prudish.

Well recommended.  I enjoyed those; thanks very much (they are on youtube). I particularly enjoyed "Corona Radiata" (I like ambient) and "Ghosts IV".  I might just get Ghosts.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:59
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Unbelievably, one of them had a record in the 80s and was part of a synthpop outfit that did Billy Idol covers.

The other one is absolute trash that has nothing to do with the 80s, and as such, deserves to be wiped from the collective consciousness of the entire world.

If you have a bias against modern music as you said before, then why post here?

Also: RE Snobb's post: NIN is listed on this website as a crossover band. See for yourself: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5427

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 16:02

Unbelievably, one of them had a record in the 80s and was part of a synthpop outfit that did Billy Idol covers.The other one is absolute trash that has nothing to do with the 80s, and as such, deserves to be wiped from the collective consciousness of the entire world.
If you have a bias against modern music as you said before, then why post here? Also: RE Snobb's post: NIN is listed on this website as a crossover band. See for yourself: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5427

I know. My personal opinion not always is the same as separate teams point of view on different artists. I think it's normal

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 16:03
Both have their place in music. It depends on what mood I am in.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 17:29
Nine Inch Nails arent at all prog, but they are far and away the best of the two bands listed here.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 19:03
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Nine Inch Nails arent at all prog, but they are far and away the best of the two bands listed here.

Sorry, not true.  They have some stuff that is but not all of their stuff is.

-------------

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 19:23

Because this poll is asking me to choose between two bands. One had something to do with the pre-89 era and the other is an abomination from a hateful age.

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 19:50

Because this poll is asking me to choose between two bands. One had something to do with the pre-89 era and the other is an abomination from a hateful age.
Your an abomination, and i hope you get wiped from the face of the earth, so we dont have to read your usles comments anymore. Go back to your cave you ugly troll!

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:38
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Your an abomination, and i hope you get wiped from the face of the earth, so we dont have to read your usles comments anymore. Go back to your cave you ugly troll!

Bow down before the one you serve.  You're going to get what you deserve. LOL

-------------

Posted By: overmatik
Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 09:56
My vote goes for the guy who single handed revolutionized the way rock music is done. Trent Reznor is a legend and shouldn't be casted among Tom Yorke...

-------------
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:24
I like Radiohead quite a bit, especially the stuff after Kid A. Nine Inch Nails, however, never did it for me, at least Downward Spiral, The Fragile and Year Zero (haven't heard the rest). Trent has some inspired moments and certainly some unique, but I don't like how he tries to make depression catchy sometimes. Tell me one song where his vocals are more complex and less upbeat, and I'll be glad to listen.

Posted By: The Monodrone
Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:27
NIN = good band
Radiohead = great band

-------------

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:36
Trent Reznor thinks he is a musical and producing genius and in all truth he barely qualifies as either, someone once said he's an "Industrial Rock pioneer". well the term Industrial Rock to me is simply an excuse for lack of creativity and terrible production making stupid noises and trying to be alternative rock. And he has millions of fans who actually respect his 'music'

Rant over, i actually like Radiohead

-------------

Posted By: boo boo
Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 17:04

You know what bothers me most about you? YOUR AVATAR.

Hendrix was a man who was all about defying convention, experimenting with new ideas and moving foward. I don't think he would be fond of his image being used to represent someone like you who is a totally closedminded jerkass who writes off an entire generation of music for not conforming to his traditional ideals.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs/?chartstyle=LastfmSuicjdeGirls" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 18:01
I don't like either sorry.

Also, why another Radiohead thread? Isn't this like the 4th thread and second poll including them today? Confused

Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 18:14
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I don't like either sorry.

Also, why another Radiohead thread? Isn't this like the 4th thread and second poll including them today? Confused
This thread is 3 months (95 days) old ConfusedConfused

However, it's probably something to do with a new album just been announced. Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 18:29
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

Trent Reznor thinks he is a musical and producing genius and in all truth he barely qualifies as either, someone once said he's an "Industrial Rock pioneer". well the term Industrial Rock to me is simply an excuse for lack of creativity and terrible production making stupid noises and trying to be alternative rock. And he has millions of fans who actually respect his 'music'

Odd that, so millions of fans could be so wrong Wink

I think you've probably been listening to the wrong Industrial Rock. Reznor was not so much a pioneer, but someone who gave it mass appeal in the USA. The pioneers where bands like Einstürzende Neubauten, Die Krupps, Test Dept, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Pere Ubu, Chrome, Swans, and even Depeche Mode - to describe any of those bands as lacking creativity or making stuid noises is to completely missrepresent an entire genre.

-------------
What?

Posted By: overmatik
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 06:48
Ok, so Trent is not a genius... You said so mister. Thank God opinions differ on that matter.

-------------
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 06:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

Odd that, so millions of fans could be so wrong Wink

I think you've probably been listening to the wrong Industrial Rock. Reznor was not so much a pioneer, but someone who gave it mass appeal in the USA. The pioneers where bands like Einstürzende Neubauten, Die Krupps, Test Dept, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Pere Ubu, Chrome, Swans, and even Depeche Mode - to describe any of those bands as lacking creativity or making stuid noises is to completely missrepresent an entire genre.

you're right of course i did generalise i just despise Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 07:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Interesting, I don't really know any of the other artists except for Pere Ubu.  I got on the Ubu bandwagon when I heard Folly Of Youth on college radio.  I don't know why it clicked with me.  I think that infectious bass line.  I do regret getting those early two albums.  I like some difficult listening music but I cringe every time one of them comes up in rotation.  What hooked me on the NIN was I had a girlfriend that big into them around the time The Downward Spiral came out. I saw an ad in the paper for their upcoming tour appearance in Atlanta and Adrian Belew was mentioned so I gave them a try.  Certainly not for everyone.  Radiohead is one I might have gotten into with OK Computer but I didn't give them a serious try at the time because Beavis And Butthead did one of their videos.  Same thing happened to me with Primus.  Now I like them all.

-------------

Posted By: idiotPrayer
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 13:04
radiohead.

i just pre-ordered the fancy deluxe edition of the new album and realised: radiohead is THE ONLY band i would buy a record from without hearing it (perhaps also some steven wilson stuff like bass communion or porcupine tree).

nine inch nails is fantastic though but radiohead wins this round easily.

Posted By: Porcupinetheater
Date Posted: March 07 2011 at 20:51
The Downward Spiral is better than anything Radiohead has ever released, personally. I think OK Computer and Kid A may be just a tad over-rated. Still good, but they receive a bit more credit than I feel is warranted. NIN for me.

-------------
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure.

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 07 2011 at 21:27
There's a funny rant/review over at RYM if you can find it.  The guys starts with something like....

"from the first few seconds of Yorke's singing, I have the urge to strike him in the mouth..."

-------------

Posted By: Mr Greeen Genes
Date Posted: March 08 2011 at 01:45

Both bands have some songs I like, but I prefer NIN...

Posted By: OT Räihälä
Date Posted: March 13 2011 at 14:18
This is tough, because I have never heard anything by Nine Inch Nails. Don't know anything about them, not where they come from, what kind of music they play. But to surpass Radiohead would require something special.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/osmotapioraihala/sets" rel="nofollow - Composer - Click to listen to my works!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 09:09
Radiohead

I do like some NIN in small doses.

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 12:10
Radiohead.

Not a NIN fan. 

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: October 01 2017 at 12:12
^^

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 02 2017 at 10:28
I like them equally, as in I don't like either at all. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: October 02 2017 at 11:54
Nine Inch Nails for me.

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:16
NIN

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: May 15 2018 at 11:12
Radiohead

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: May 17 2018 at 18:24
NIN, if only because I know most of their songs thanks to my brother. Both bands are rather crappy.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk