Printed Date: May 10 2024 at 19:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes vs Protest the Hero
Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Subject: Yes vs Protest the Hero
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:17
Let's separate the men from the boys. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Replies:
Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:23
What the f?

I've never heard PTH so no vote.

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:30
Why protest the hero?

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:31
That's a really strange question. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: NecronCommander
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:33
I don't quite get the purpose of this poll either, these bands have little to nothing in common, apart from being proggy.

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:36
Your point?

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:37
None, I guess.

I actually prefer Yes to what little of Protest the Hero I've heard, but I don't think that's enough to base a vote from.

-------------

Posted By: MrEdifus
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:40
This is a terrible comparison.

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:40
Your sig has pokemon in it. I void your opinion. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:42
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Your sig has pokemon in it. I void your opinion. 

I was just about to say something along these lines LOL

-------------

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:51
Protest the hero for me.Very modern and technical bandThumbs Down.But I prefer them more than Yes.Because PTH has screams.And you know that I love extreme prog metal.

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:55
Forgot to say that I voted PtH. 

I love Rody's vocals. I love how many amazing riffs they pack into a song. I love that they didn't make Tales From Topographic Oceans. 

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 11:00
TfTO > all the PtH discography, and I can say that even if I didn't hear anything from said discog. 

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 11:16
I've never heard anything musically better than Tales from Topographic Oceans.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Mastosis
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 11:19
No contest. The intro to Long Distance Runaround alone blows away the entire Protest the Hero discography.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 11:34
Originally posted by Mastosis Mastosis wrote:

No contest. The intro to Long Distance Runaround alone blows away the entire Protest the Hero discography.

that's the plain truth!

Posted By: Misomex777
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 12:05
Why is this a poll? Who are Protest the Hero and who thinks they can hold a candle to Yes? lol

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 12:22
lol no one can be better than yes I odn't even need to here the other band to vote for Yes lol

-------------

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 12:57

lol no one can be better than yes I odn't even need to here the other band to vote for Yes lol

lol no vote because I haven't hear Protest the Hero.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 12:57
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Protest the hero for me.Very modern and technical bandThumbs Down.But I prefer them more than Yes.Because PTH has screams.And you know that I love extreme prog metal.

-facepalm-

I suppose everybody is entitled to their opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 13:01
I need to pick up Protest the Hero's newest album next time I'm at the record store, I sampled some stuff on Youtube and it sounded pretty boss.

-------------

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 13:02
Reason dictates that the pre-89 artist is the only legitimate option.

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 13:05
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Walter, I saw that you posted something here, and I got all excited. But this is disappointing; I expected something much better.

-------------

Posted By: daslaf
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 13:06
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

the I must say you're deaf sir!

-------------
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 13:07
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Walter, I saw that you posted something here, and I got all excited. But this is disappointing; I expected something much better.

Did you expect an about-face, wherein logic and sanity are dropped in favour of post-89 criminality? Hilarious. Now, do go and pursue the right and proper action by only consuming pre-1989 music.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 13:07
To borrow from Micky, my Protest the Hero CD makes a nice coaster.

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 13:12

Did you expect an about-face, wherein logic and sanity are dropped in favour of post-89 criminality? Hilarious. Now, do go and pursue the right and proper action by only consuming pre-1989 music.

No, I just expected a more over-the-top and funny evaluation of this poll. Perhaps one that involved the words "pap" or "piffle."

For the record, I think that Yes is infinitely better than a somewhat interesting technical mathcore band.

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 13:18

No, I just expected a more over-the-top and funny evaluation of this poll. Perhaps one that involved the words "pap" or "piffle."

For the record, I think that Yes is infinitely better than a somewhat interesting technical mathcore band.

Glad to have your support in the continuing struggle against the post-89 enemy. Polls like these are exercises in futility, for the modern band is a non-entity with absolutely zero merit and no reason to even exist. By allotting them any semblance of recognition, the pollster encourages the legitimization of these hollow shams. It is up to us to highlight the shameful error that lies at the core of every single post-89 agglomeration. Let's keep talking about music, but let's make sure we focus on discussing real music and not new music.

Posted By: Nathaniel607
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 14:10
My vote goes to PtH. I love Fortress, and I think Yes are pretty overrated... the only thing making me unsure is just the simple fact that Yes have a lot more material. Protest only have two albums out (three if you count the demo). 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nathaniel607" rel="nofollow - My Last FM Profile

Posted By: TheOppenheimer
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 14:25
Originally posted by MrEdifus MrEdifus wrote:

Your signature has opkemon in it. It is irrelevant to what we are discussing, so nothing happens.
Anyway, I agree with you. Try comparing Agalloch and The Animals.

PS: i love pokemon son

-------------
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
A veces es cuestión de esperar, y tomarte en silencio.

Posted By: progvortex
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 14:32
Hmm... let's compare

GWARRR COOKIE MONSTER WARRRG BLOODMEATTT

vs.

I GET UP!!!! I GET DOWN!!!!

The latter.

-------------
Life is like a beanstalk... isn't it?

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 14:47

If you wanted me to listen to Protest the Hero, you have succeeded. I listened for about 1 minute to the first track that can be found here in the streaming section. Does it qualify me to vote now for my third favourite band of all times (after King Crimson and Genesis), although I could not stand its opponent for more than 1 minute? Embarrassed

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 14:59
Originally posted by TheOppenheimer TheOppenheimer wrote:

Originally posted by MrEdifus MrEdifus wrote:

Your signature has opkemon in it. It is irrelevant to what we are discussing, so nothing happens.
Anyway, I agree with you. Try comparing Agalloch and The Animals.

PS: i love pokemon son

Thanks now I know my next poll. 

I find it funny that people routinely make comparisons every day between such disparate things as sleeping, making a sandwich, exercising, or listening to music without blinking an eye.

Then when faced with two bands they suddenly freak out about the absurdity of the comparison. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 14:59
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

If you wanted me to listen to Protest the Hero, you have succeeded. I listened for about 1 minute to the first track that can be found here in the streaming section. Does it qualify me to vote now for my third favourite band of all times (after King Crimson and Genesis), although I could not stand its opponent for more than 1 minute? Embarrassed

Only if you go on a rant about how terrible the one is in comparison to the other. 

-------------

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 15:55

Glad to have your support in the continuing struggle against the post-89 enemy. Polls like these are exercises in futility, for the modern band is a non-entity with absolutely zero merit and no reason to even exist. By allotting them any semblance of recognition, the pollster encourages the legitimization of these hollow shams. It is up to us to highlight the shameful error that lies at the core of every single post-89 agglomeration. Let's keep talking about music, but let's make sure we focus on discussing real music and not new music.

LOL So sad.

-------------

Posted By: ThinLizzy
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 15:57
Yes can only be compared with bands such as KC, PF, JT , Genesis , VDGG etc.

-------------
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 21:32
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

You know how many people may hear the first minute of Yes's "Close to the Edge" and immediatley discard the band as garbage if they only go for that first impression?

Of course, few prog fans would make that mistake, but how many people won't get to know prog just because they won't give it a chance?

By the way, I have absolutley no idea of what Protest the Hero sounds like.

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 21:37
Protest the Hero are pretty decent, but I prefer Yes.

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 21:39
This is music to my ears :

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

TfTO > all the PtH discography, and I can say that even if I didn't hear anything from said discog. 

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 22:20
Protest the Hero is pretty decent (for those who like them), Yes is an icon of Prog despite Jon Anderson.

Not in the same league, still won't vote because not familiar with PtH

Iván

EDIT: Correct my vote after listening several samples, Protest the Hero is noise for me, so Yes got my vote

EDIT II: Can somebody tell me why all their songs sound almost exactly the same?

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 22:43
They don't. Like not at all. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 23:10
Same reason all symphonic prog sounds the same, Ivan. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 23:29
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

Same reason all symphonic prog sounds the same, Ivan. Wink

Lol, good answer.

But not accurate,

1. Yes
  2. Genesis
  3. Renaissance
  4. Kansas
  5. Rick Wakeman
Have ansolutely nothing in common Wink

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2011 at 23:52
Same could be said for a bunch of prog. metal groups.  It's not fair to lump all of them together and say that they all sound the same if you're not a trained listener of the genre.  Same goes with me typecasting symphonic prog as all sounding the same.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 00:23

Same could be said for a bunch of prog. metal groups.  It's not fair to lump all of them together and say that they all sound the same if you're not a trained listener of the genre.  Same goes with me typecasting symphonic prog as all sounding the same.

Interesting commentary, but let's face it, if there's one genre that is not lumped all together in ProgArchives it's Metal, there are three Metal related genres unlike any other sub-genre.
  1. Prog Metal
  2. Tech Extreme Metal 
  3. Experimental Prog Metal
And still, all have the strong and dominant metal element sound, and if we take a Tech/Extreme Prog Metal band like Protest the Hero, is as loud and extreme as let's say 90% of the bands there, the vocals in many are so amazingly similar that you may wonder if the same vocalist growls and shouts in every one...Of course as you say this effect is more common in people who are not experts in the genre

In Symphonic we have bands influenced by Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern , etc eras, there's no way you can find too many common elements in most of them, take ELP and Genesis, there's absolutely nothing in common, or Renaissance and Shadow Circus...You wonder how can the two be in the same genre.

I believe genres as Symphonic or Folk Prog (Hey, you got ethnic music from all around the world like Jethro Tull and Los Jaivas), not to mention Eclectic, are much more versatile, even for the not trained listener.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 00:40
I think that's a very fair opinion, but I also think you' be surprised to find a lot of those elements scattered throughout a lot of the bands under tech/extreme or experimental/post, and a lot of the bands have these other musical elements blended with heaviness to create part of their signature style.
I'm a (mostly) metal listener, I can safely say that Protest the Hero's vocalist actually has a pretty novel clean vocal style that's pretty unique to the band.  I can also distinguish between the growled vocal styles of many artists and, believe it or not, there are different styles of extreme vocals.
It's all a matter of taste.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 00:48

I'm a (mostly) metal listener, I can safely say that Protest the Hero's vocalist actually has a pretty novel clean vocal style that's pretty unique to the band. can also distinguish between the growled vocal styles of many artists and, believe it or not, there are different styles of extreme vocals.

I don't doubt it, but the point is hat you have to be an expert in the genre to distinguish the growling and the heaviness of many extreme bands.

This is not so common in lets say Symphonic, except cases as Yes and Starcastle where the second is almost a clone of the first, but you take the five of the most popular Symphonic bands
  1. Yes
  2. Genesis
  3. ELP
  4. Camel
  5. Kansas
And nobody with normal audition will mistake one with the other.

I'm not sure if most of the non Metal listeners will distinguish all the most popular extreme bands.

Thanks for a civil and interesting conversation, lately it's not so common.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 00:58
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I'm a (mostly) metal listener, I can safely say that Protest the Hero's vocalist actually has a pretty novel clean vocal style that's pretty unique to the band. can also distinguish between the growled vocal styles of many artists and, believe it or not, there are different styles of extreme vocals.

I don't doubt it, but the point is hat you have to be an expert in the genre to distinguish the growling and the heaviness of many extreme bands.

This is not so common in lets say Symphonic, except cases as Yes and Starcastle where the second is almost a clone of the first, but you take the five of the most popular Symphonic bands
  1. Yes
  2. Genesis
  3. ELP
  4. Camel
  5. Kansas

I'm not sure if most of the non Metal listeners will distinguish all the most popular extreme bands.

Iván

This was more or less what I was trying to get at in the first place, yeah.

And this is a valid point too, I don't know if I considered that.

Yes, thank you for keeping this civil.

-------------

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 01:04
Yes, although I do absolutely adore PtH. 

-------------

Posted By: petrica
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 06:55
There is a reason for everything. Probably the reason for this poll was to make some advertising to this band(for me it was completely unknown up to this point). Nevertheless this poll remind me of Ozzy O. answering to a TV moderator.

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 08:40

Interesting commentary, but let's face it, if there's one genre that is not lumped all together in ProgArchives it's Metal, there are three Metal related genres unlike any other sub-genre.
  1. Prog Metal
  2. Tech Extreme Metal 
  3. Experimental Prog Metal
And still, all have the strong and dominant metal element sound, and if we take a Tech/Extreme Prog Metal band like Protest the Hero, is as loud and extreme as let's say 90% of the bands there, the vocals in many are so amazingly similar that you may wonder if the same vocalist growls and shouts in every one...Of course as you say this effect is more common in people who are not experts in the genre

In Symphonic we have bands influenced by Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern , etc eras, there's no way you can find too many common elements in most of them, take ELP and Genesis, there's absolutely nothing in common, or Renaissance and Shadow Circus...You wonder how can the two be in the same genre.

I believe genres as Symphonic or Folk Prog (Hey, you got ethnic music from all around the world like Jethro Tull and Los Jaivas), not to mention Eclectic, are much more versatile, even for the not trained listener.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Iván

Talk about hyperbole.

Can you name me one band here that sounds like PtH? No, thank you. Let's move on.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 08:44

1. Yes
  2. Genesis
  3. ELP
  4. Camel
  5. Kansas

Iván

Take five of the most common prog metal bands.

1) Dream Theater
2) Pain of Salvation
3) Opeth
4) Meshuggah
5)  maudlin of the Well

Guarantee everyone here can tell them apart within about 5 seconds of a song.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 08:45
Originally posted by petrica petrica wrote:

There is a reason for everything. Probably the reason for this poll was to make some advertising to this band(for me it was completely unknown up to this point). Nevertheless this poll remind me of Ozzy O. answering to a TV moderator.

Don't blow my cover. I got paid $20 by the band to post this.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 09:23
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

You know how many people may hear the first minute of Yes's "Close to the Edge" and immediatley discard the band as garbage if they only go for that first impression?

I dare to say that people who react like that are not member of this forum.

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Of course, few prog fans would make that mistake, but how many people won't get to know prog just because they won't give it a chance?

By the way, I have absolutley no idea of what Protest the Hero sounds like

I suggest you listen to the first minute of Bury the Hatchet (found on this site), then you understand what I mean.

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 10:02

1) Dream Theater
2) Pain of Salvation
3) Opeth
4) Meshuggah
5)  maudlin of the Well

Did you read my post?

Quote I'm not sure if most of the non Metal listeners will distinguish all the most popular extreme bands.

We were talking about Tech Extreme Metal,  and except Messhugah and Opeth (which are extremely similar to PtH), you don't mention another Tech/Extreme Prog Metal band

I could mention

1. Opeth
  2. Atheist
  3. Crimson
  4. Dissilution
  5. Unexpect
Don't tell me they don't sound incredibly similar (Not saying exact)...At least for me

Even NecronCommander, a mainly Metal listener, gently accepted my point:

So please

1. If you want to contradict me, do it, but please don't change my words, I can recognize Pain of Salvation, Maudlin of the Well and Dream Theater, but none of them are Tech/Extreme Prog Metal bands
  2. You will probably say you can recognize all Tech Extreme Prog Metal bands, but please ask to people who don't listen Prog Metal, I'm sure many will say they sound almost exactly the same.
  3. Don't use "The "No, thank you. Let's move on" argument, because that's a cheap trick to stop me from answering, I gave you the 5 bands, ask the people.

Iván

Edit: I asked why all songs by this band sound exactly the same, read the previous post, seems that Formentera Lady agrees with me.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 10:38
Alright, I'm actually gonna have to disagree with you there, Ivan.  Opeth, Meshuggah, and Protest the Hero sound almost nothing alike apart from their shared heaviness (and even then each band has a different degree of such), and I'm pretty sure that's fairly easy to tell as well, even upon first listen to the untrained ear.

Here, I'm gonna give some pretty typical examples from each band.  These aren't special examples, all of these songs fall within each band's general style.  It's pretty easy to tell these apart even after a few seconds.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:20
Just listened to the first minute of Meshuggah and Opeth, and I can't tell the difference, sounds like the same band to me LOL. Sorry, I think this is not my genre, and also I think Yes cannot be compared to any metal band (that's how I call them).

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:31
Well, I guess I was mistaken then.  I'd think at least Meshuggah's polyrhythms are instantly spottable, but I guess I was wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:37
Wait, Opeth and Meshuggah sound the same? lolwut?

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:40

Wait, Opeth and Meshuggah sound the same? lolwut?

Of course ya n00b. You can add practically all the tech/extreme genre in there, nobody in his right mind would sense any variation in there. They're sooo loud! Shocked

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:47
I know these guys aren't metal fans but yeah, I do find that to be a bit of a stretch.

-------------

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:49
I think Formentera Lady has a problem with her ears.Meshuggah and Opeth sound the same?AngryShocked.These bands have their own sound and style.Ok!

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:55
LOL, troll threads are always amusing.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:05
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

This one isn't as good as my DT vs. Magma one was, though.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:06

I was just about to say this, yeah.

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:21

Well, I guess I was mistaken then.  I'd think at least Meshuggah's polyrhythms are instantly spottable, but I guess I was wrong.

You mean, Opeth never uses more complex rhythm textures than in this example? Sorry to hear that. Shocked

BTW, polyrhythm is for me if one instrument/voice plays in one time signature (e.g. 4/4) and the other instrument plays in a different time signature (e.g. 3/4) as in Debussy's Arabesque, where left and right hand plays in different time signatures. (Also very common in certain world music especially from East Asia.) This is not the case in this Meshuggah song. It is simply an odd time signature with an interesting off-beat.

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:25
Opeth generally don't do a ton with complex time signatures.

Here's maybe a better example of a good Meshuggah rhythm, then:

I chose the first one because I really like the groove on that track.
Also, the video for this one is awesome.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:31
Just listened to the samples and to me at least Opeth sound different to Meshugga. I do like some Metal in my diet though.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:53
Yes I'll give you that Necron Commander, Messhu8gah and Opeth are different (with a lot in common), but you can distinguish one from the other (with effort).

But I gave some examples:

1. Atheist
  2. Crimson
  3. Dissilution
  4. Unexpect
  5. Protest the Hero
Honestly, I find very little differences among them.

Iván

BTW: I still believe all (the ones I heard) the songs by PtH are almost exact.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 13:04
Well, I'm a bit confused by some of the ones you've listed there.  If by Crimson you mean Edge of Sanity (Crimson being their most famous album) and if #3 is supposed to be Disillusion, then that I can understand more, since the first three are all technical death metal bands, that kind of music is only really discernible by the trained ear.

UnexpecT, though?  They've got a pretty unique nutso avant-garde style.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 14:02

Well, I'm a bit confused by some of the ones you've listed there.  If by Crimson you mean Edge of Sanity (Crimson being their most famous album) and if #3 is supposed to be Disillusion, then that I can understand more, since the first three are all technical death metal bands, that kind of music is only really discernible by the trained ear.

That's my point, for the vast majority of mortals, they are the same

UnexpecT, though?  They've got a pretty unique nutso avant-garde style.

Sorry Commander, but to my ears, they have an almost exact sound.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 14:02
Yes

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 14:06

Yes I'll give you that Necron Commander, Messhu8gah and Opeth are different (with a lot in common), but you can distinguish one from the other (with effort).

But I gave some examples:

1. Atheist
  2. Crimson
  3. Dissilution
  4. Unexpect
  5. Protest the Hero
Honestly, I find very little differences among them.

Iván

BTW: I still believe all (the ones I heard) the songs by PtH are almost exact.
If you cant tell the difference between Unexpects Chromatic Chimera and anything from the other groupes I'd be very surprised. I think you ment Edge of Sanity for No.2, Crismon being their highest rated album.

A better example for big differences in this genre would be:

1. Opeth
  2. Cynic
  3. Canvas Solaris
  4. Burst
  5. Drudkh

To an extent, I can see where you're coming from Ivan.

Anyway, I like lost causes and I prefer PtH to Yes as it is (I prefer most prog bands to Yes though). 

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 14:19
Oh my God! One could think that poll isn´t worth while. Too many posts in such weird contest are surely the first surprise in the new year. It seems you all had got limed to "Equality 7-2521"!Wink

By the way, what´s the Censored Protest The Hero?LOL

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 14:25
I'm also a defender of lost causes, as a fact I'm not a particular fan of Yes, I'm thankful because they introduced me to Prog, now I can't stand Jon Anderson's acute voice for more than 2 minutes without having a nervous breakdown as if somebody was scratching a blackboard.

But the truth is that I can't find the difference between most Tech/Extreme Metal bands.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 19:29

1) Dream Theater
2) Pain of Salvation
3) Opeth
4) Meshuggah
5)  maudlin of the Well

Did you read my post?

Quote I'm not sure if most of the non Metal listeners will distinguish all the most popular extreme bands.

We were talking about Tech Extreme Metal,  and except Messhugah and Opeth (which are extremely similar to PtH), you don't mention another Tech/Extreme Prog Metal band

I could mention

1. Opeth
  2. Atheist
  3. Crimson
  4. Dissilution
  5. Unexpect
Don't tell me they don't sound incredibly similar (Not saying exact)...At least for me

Even NecronCommander, a mainly Metal listener, gently accepted my point:

So please

1. If you want to contradict me, do it, but please don't change my words, I can recognize Pain of Salvation, Maudlin of the Well and Dream Theater, but none of them are Tech/Extreme Prog Metal bands
  2. You will probably say you can recognize all Tech Extreme Prog Metal bands, but please ask to people who don't listen Prog Metal, I'm sure many will say they sound almost exactly the same.
  3. Don't use "The "No, thank you. Let's move on" argument, because that's a cheap trick to stop me from answering, I gave you the 5 bands, ask the people.

Iván

Edit: I asked why all songs by this band sound exactly the same, read the previous post, seems that Formentera Lady agrees with me.

Who cares if Formentera Lady agrees? I don't. In fact, I think you're incredibly stupid to suggest such a thing.

Again, what does it matter if you can't tell the difference? I know 20 people who think Geddy Lee and David Surkamp sound exactly the same despite clear difference in their styles. You don't listen to metal. Why should you be one consulted to tell a difference?

You just provided 5 bands that sound nothing a like. Who the hell is going to confuse Opeth with Unexpect? Maybe if you're deaf, but besides that it's not going to happen. How about you just say that you lIke Yes and you don't like PtH instead of trying to make objective value judgements which are clearly influenced by yoru bias. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 19:59
In my previous post, Ivan, I was referring to them all being techdeath bands, which can be tough to discern from.  Just those first three, though.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 20:06
Iván, these bands are as similar sounding metal bands as Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and King Crimson are similar sounding rock bands.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 20:31

Why? Just because DT is deeper and more philosophycal than that pseudo-intelectualoid noise disgrace to humanity will ever be? I see no reason to argue here. Deal with it.

/trolling mode

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 20:50

Iván, these bands are as similar sounding metal bands as Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and King Crimson are similar sounding rock bands.

I insist, nobody with normal audition can mistake 

1. Yes with Pink Floyd
  2. Genesis with Jethro Tull or 
  3. King Crimson with ELP
All the vocalists are different, all the music is different, their influences are different, and even their sub-genres are different.

While even a Metal expert admits that some Tech Extreme bands require of a very trained ear to distinguish one from the other,

Ask non metal Prog fans, and ,most of them will tell you that they can't find differences between extreme bands, ask any Prog Metal fan, and he/she will distinguish Yes from Genesis, King Crimson or Jethro Tull in a couple of seconds.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 20:53
No?

In either case you're assuming that non-symphonic fans and non-metal fans are the same which is clearly a terrible assumption. How many symphonic fans here absolutely refuse to give prog-metal or any modern prog a fair shot?

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 20:55
Ivan, I was referring to the very narrow technical death metal subgenre, which you mentioned with some artists there.  That subgenre in particular sounds very samey across the board, even for me.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 20:58
Every metal band in Necron's top artists sound absolutely nothing alike. Can we stop this insanity?

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:08

No?

In either case you're assuming that non-symphonic fans and non-metal fans are the same which is clearly a terrible assumption. How many symphonic fans here absolutely refuse to give prog-metal or any modern prog a fair shot?

Nope, some Symphonic fans like Metal, I believe most not, but there are non metal fans whop don't like Symphonic abut if you check the pols, Prog Metal doesn't seem to be popular among non Metal fans, as a fact 8in most polls comes way back..

BTW: Modern Prog?

I love modern Prog I added more modern bands to many genres than many people here who claim to love modern Prog, so don't mix Prog Metal with modern Prog, both are not equivalent.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:11
Notice the word 'or' which clearly implies that the two are not equivalent. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:12

Every metal band in Necron's top artists sound absolutely nothing alike. Can we stop this insanity?

Most sound exactly the same to me (except bands like DT, PoS or Symphony X), that's my opinion and I'm not insane.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:16
I love symphonic and can name a dozen bands that sound the same.

I love metal and can name a dozen metal bands that sound the same.

Conclusion: Every genre has bands that sound alike.  Those who don't listen to those genres much will not appreciate the subtitles or differences among them.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:17

But if you talk about some Symphonic fans who give Metal and Modern Prog a Chance, you're implying that those who don't like Prog Metal, don't like Modern Prog.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:21

But if you talk about some Symphonic fans who give Metal and Modern Prog a Chance, you're implying that those who don't like Prog Metal, don't like Modern Prog.

Iván

No I'm not. I'm saying there's Symphonic fans who don't give modern prog a chance and symphonic fans who don't give prog metal a chance, and I believe there's probably a higher proportion of symphonic fans who disregard the aforementioned groups than there are prog metal fans that disregard symphonic.

Although I would be willing to admit the two groups are exactly even also. 

See Rob's post for the end to the argument. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:24

I insist, nobody with normal audition can mistake 

1. Yes with Pink Floyd
  2. Genesis with Jethro Tull or 
  3. King Crimson with ELP
All the vocalists are different, all the music is different, their influences are different, and even their sub-genres are different.

While even a Metal expert admits that some Tech Extreme bands require of a very trained ear to distinguish one from the other,

Ask non metal Prog fans, and ,most of them will tell you that they can't find differences between extreme bands, ask any Prog Metal fan, and he/she will distinguish Yes from Genesis, King Crimson or Jethro Tull in a couple of seconds.

Iván

That is simply not true Iván, that is simply twisting the reality. Besides, almost anyone who listens to progressive metal also listens to progressive rock, so you are percieving two different things with two different perspectives.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:25

I love symphonic and can name a dozen bands that sound the same.

I love metal and can name a dozen metal bands that sound the same.

Conclusion: Every genre has bands that sound alike.  Those who don't listen to those genres much will not appreciate the subtitles or differences among them.

Also, this. Seriously, there is no better way to put the point across than you just did Rob.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:33

That is simply not true Iván, that is simply twisting the reality. Besides, almost anyone who listens to progressive metal also listens to progressive rock, so not only you fail to aknolege the reality, but you are also percieving two different things with two different perspectives.

Please, ask people, make polls if you want, you will find lots of people who don't find the difference between most Prog Metal bands, even a huge numbers (it has been done before) who believe Prog Metal is not Prog (I'm not in this group).

I been here a lot of years before you, and I seen every poll on the subject, so I believe I know more or less the taste tendencies in Prog Archives.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:54
This is a stupid argument.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 21:56
Then give one better

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 22:09

Then give one better

No, I meant that this whole conversation is stupid.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 22:22
Ah OK

You're entitled to your opinion

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 07:53

That is simply not true Iván, that is simply twisting the reality. Besides, almost anyone who listens to progressive metal also listens to progressive rock, so not only you fail to aknolege the reality, but you are also percieving two different things with two different perspectives.

Please, ask people, make polls if you want, you will find lots of people who don't find the difference between most Prog Metal bands, even a huge numbers (it has been done before) who believe Prog Metal is not Prog (I'm not in this group).

I been here a lot of years before you, and I seen every poll on the subject, so I believe I know more or less the taste tendencies in Prog Archives.

Iván

I took a music class in college where I was the only person out of a class of 25 that could tell the beginning of Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun apart from The Rite of Spring on a test.

I could find 100 people in about 3 seconds who can't tell the difference between Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday. Who cares?

Unless you actually listen to the music you can't pick up on the differences often. As much as you want to think Symphonic prog is unique, it isn't. Nor is any of subgenre on this site. You just happen to like one more. To each his own opinion. Don't try to bring some objective measure of value in here to make the music you prefer seem more worthy.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 09:02

I took a music class in college where I was the only person out of a class of 25 that could tell the beginning of Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun apart from The Rite of Spring on a test.

I could find 100 people in about 3 seconds who can't tell the difference between Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday. Who cares?

Unless you actually listen to the music you can't pick up on the differences often. As much as you want to think Symphonic prog is unique, it isn't. Nor is any of subgenre on this site. You just happen to like one more. To each his own opinion. Don't try to bring some objective measure of value in here to make the music you prefer seem more worthy.

I believe you are getting me wrong, I don't say Symphonic is a special case or unique, I'm saying Extreme Tech Metal is a special case.

You take almost any two Symphonic, Eclectic, Crossover, Prog Folk or almost whatever genre tracks from two different bands and ANYBODY is able to notice immediately that both are two different bands with a different sound, even if they never heard the two bands before.

On the other hand, you take many Tech Extreme Prog Metal bands, and play almost any songs of this bands, and almost nobody will notice the difference, because it's mainly groiwling and fast guitars, you need to be an expetrt to even notice the difference among many of this bands even if you heard them before.

In my case, you play me a song by:

1. Atheist   http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=4628" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=4628
  2. Death:  http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=3252" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=3252
And aside the introduction, hardly anybody not expert in them can tell if it's the same band or not, boith growl, extremely loud and full of shredding.

Can you tell me I'm wrong if even a member who listens them in regular bases admits that only a trained ear can differentiate between bands like this?

I dare people who are  not Metal listeners to listen this tracks after the intro and tell me if they find a difference or at least tell me without doubt if the would notice both are different bands?

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 09:25
Again, what would non-metal listeners have to do with this. I can provide plenty of examples of popular opinion thinking two songs sound exactly the same when they're incredibly different. That doesn't prove anything.

For the record I can't tell the difference between most prog-folk and most non-mainstream symphonic bands.

EDIT: May as well throw in progressive electronic too.

EDIT: And post-rock.

EDIT: I could keep going.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 10:02

Again, what would non-metal listeners have to do with this. I can provide plenty of examples of popular opinion thinking two songs sound exactly the same when they're incredibly different. That doesn't prove anything.

For the record I can't tell the difference between most prog-folk and most non-mainstream symphonic bands.

EDIT: May as well throw in progressive electronic too.

EDIT: And post-rock.

EDIT: I could keep going.

But in this case both are incredibly similar to the point of being almost exact, a point you are eluding. .

Iván

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk