Print Page | Close Window

Phil Collins Is Better than Peter Gabriel

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74799
Printed Date: May 13 2024 at 10:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Phil Collins Is Better than Peter Gabriel
Posted By: Rush77
Subject: Phil Collins Is Better than Peter Gabriel
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:02
Now i have ur attention i think the Phil era was better than the peter era. First dont get me wrong i love the Peter era of Genesis with great albums like Foxtrot and Selling England by the pound but i always seem to gravitate to Phil more than Peter in Genesis and solo projects. I like them both but Phil wins because of 2 factors 1. His singing to me is more accesibile and more natural than Peter and 2. i believe Phil as the frontman fit more than Peter as the frontman it just seemed more lik it belongs. Ik ppl r gnna say the songwriting was better in the Peter era but i think not. Songs like Watcher of the Skies and Supper's Ready are great but its just that Behind the Lines Home by the Sea Mama The Brazillian just sounded better and went with them more if u ask me. Ik im gnna get hate for this and im ready 

Replies:
Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:06
You will get blue font.

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:07
wat does that mean 

Posted By: Henry Plainview
lol

The only thing I have to say is could you please not write subject titles in all caps and please work a bit on your spelling/punctuation.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Posted By: rushfan4
You'll see. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:10
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

lol

yea i didnt know how to spell Peters last name and ik my grammar is bad i just go with it 

Posted By: Evolver
And Big Macs are better than real hamburgers.  Why?  They sell more of them.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:11
What's with all the Gabriel era Genesis haters around here lately?

And, um, no.

Lyricaly quality, expressive breadth, and sheer otherworldliness...Gabriel hands down.

And of course during the classic era we have both doing what they each do best.

Watch youtube of Gabriel and Collins doing Suppers Ready. It's not even close except for the money put into the set. Even Dance on a Volcano, which is my favorite Phil song, is just lyrically pallid compared to Peter's best work.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:11
now im scared 

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:13
Im not hating on the Peter era tht wz AMAZIN songs and albums its just the Phil era mainly A Trick of the Tail Duke and the Mama album i lean more towards but i do love both but Phil wins by the thickness of 2 hairs 

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:15
Originally posted by Rush77 Rush77 wrote:

Im not hating on the Peter era tht wz AMAZIN songs and albums its just the Phil era mainly A Trick of the Tail Duke and the Mama album i lean more towards but i do love both but Phil wins by the thickness of 2 hairs 

You're free to express your opinion, but please don't butcher the English language while doing so. I don't mean to be rude, but everybody would be much happier if you abstained from netspeak.

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:20
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

You're free to express your opinion, but please don't butcher the English language while doing so. I don't mean to be rude, but everybody would be much happier if you abstained from netspeak.

Yea i know its just easier to type that way its just how i am but ill try

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:20

Now i have ur attention i think the Phil era was better than the peter era. First dont get me wrong i love the Peter era of Genesis with great albums like Foxtrot and Selling England by the pound but i always seem to gravitate to Phil more than Peter in Genesis and solo projects. I like them both but Phil wins because of 2 factors 1. His singing to me is more accesibile and more natural than Peter and 2. i believe Phil as the frontman fit more than Peter as the frontman it just seemed more lik it belongs. Ik ppl r gnna say the songwriting was better in the Peter era but i think not. Songs like Watcher of the Skies and Supper's Ready are great but its just that Behind the Lines Home by the Sea Mama The Brazillian just sounded better and went with them more if u ask me. Ik im gnna get hate for this and im ready 

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:25

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:32
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:55
Wtch is bttr Gbrl or Cllns?  Thrs only 1 wy to fnd out     FGHT!!!

Fnny hw if u sy Cllns thn U mst be TRLL tho?

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Varon
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 16:09
Let me guess,  you prefer Madonna to Collins era don't you?? Wink

-------------
Would you catch the final words of mine?
Would you catch my words???

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 16:36
They were both great frontmen for the band in their own right. You say you think Collins had more 'natural power' What exactly do you mean?? One of the concerns the band, including Collins had when he took over from Gabriel is that he may not be able sing with the power that Gabriel delivered in the heavier sections.

Although my favorite Genesis era overall was 76 - 80, I still think Gabriel sung Suppers Ready and Firth of Fifth better than Phil, although instrumentally they were a better band live post PG. In my opinion.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 16:38
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Clap

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:10
@op wtf i sure hope u txt that from ur phone while driving

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:38
best thread ever

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:51
No, Collins is not better than Gabriel and your arguments do not support your position.
 Phil is not a better singer, he just sounds different. Peter was clearly the better frontman, he had less to work with as far as sophisticated light shows and technology. Instead he used costumes and theatrics to bring the music to life. Last but not least, there is no comparison to the songwriting of Gabriel era Genesis. I can't name one Collins era song that is better than Gabriel era songs and that includes songs from Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering, which are both very good albums. Collins era may sound better because they had the benefit of a bigger budget and better recording technology. Don't confuse sound/recording quality for better music.

Last but not least, as others have mentioned-write in English!!!!!!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:51
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

You will get blue font.

Ok...I just made pee-pee and doo-doo in my pants and in between the two I farted......
LOLLOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 18:19

now im scared 

^

-------------

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 18:35
Of course I like more Gabriel era but I would like Phil Collins to be the frontman in these albums.I like his singing.

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 18:36
Originally posted by Ronnie Pilgrim Ronnie Pilgrim wrote:

@op wtf i sure hope u txt that from ur phone while driving

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 18:37
But seriously, why must we continue these arguments that get us nowhere?

Both are great, end of story. There.

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 18:38
I like both eras for what they are and have no complex mental ego dilemmas that make me doubt and try to choose one over the other to be able to enjoy them for what they are. 

/thread. 

-------------

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 18:42
Phil Collins' era is pop, pop, pop and comercial pop. Not prog at all.

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 19:02
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Nah. Its prog, prog, pop-prog, pop-prog, pop-prog, pop, commercial pop and commercial pop.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 19:13
When it comes to their non commercial material I rather like them about the same.  OMG

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 19:17
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Nah. Its prog, prog, pop-prog, pop-prog, pop-prog, pop, commercial pop and commercial pop.

LOL Clap

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 19:44
I'm not much of a Genesis fan, but the Gabriel-era band was far superior to the the Collins-led band.

That said, outside of Genesis, Collins' work in Brand X beats anything Gabriel has done, although Gabriel's solo albums are better than Collins'.

But Collins is/was a way better drummer than Gabriel could ever be.

I've lost track of the points, so I suggest they settle this with a steel cage match.

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 19:46
Ok i knew people would have misinterpreted this so I'm gonna clear some things up. One yes the typing was in text language just cuz its easier to type that way. Two I meant Phil's singing sounded more natural as opposed  to Peter who felt more forced in my opinion Two I'm not saying the Phil era was better due to album sales or technology or whatever, Im saying that the Phil era was more of their sound and fit them better than with Peter and i dont hate Peter i love the Peter Genesis and the first album from genesis i heard was Foxtrot and i thought it was amazing but when i took an honest look at everything i personally enjoyed the Phil era more that's what i was saying. I was just stating my opinion and Im sorry if anyone misread what i typed 

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 20:02
How could we possibly misunderstand you?  You commenting was double plus good.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 20:07
eleventy11!11!!111111!

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 22:24
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Of course I like more Gabriel era but I would like Phil Collins to be the frontman in these albums.I like his singing.

Exactly my feelings. Though some parts would have needed to have been sung by Gabriel anyway. And his flute, though little used, was important to the sound of those early Genesis albums.

Posted By: catfood03
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 23:36

Rush77 did not imply that commercial success is why Collins era is better. 

I'm not surprised anymore how Collins fans are chastised here as being disingenuous, lacking good judgement, or simply insane.  (ok, the latter two charges could stick).  Also like the OP I love both eras, and even don't mind Wilson's stuff.  Some art can be comerrcialy sucessful and good music.  I make no secret of my love for Invisible Touch.  Is it better than Lamb?  No, but aside from excessive radio play (hence the "success", it has many well-crafted songs.

oh, and Rush77, everyone is right... yr posts r hard 2 read

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 00:09
Collins by a peruvian mileWink

Seriously both era's are gorgeous made a  success by their backing band/s

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 01:59
Many considered Gabriel to be Genesis so when he left it was a massive responsibilty to fill his boots. Collins managed to do that and Genesis became to me more of a band in the traditional sense. The four albums post Gabriel are very impressive and as a live band they went into the stratosphere. Plenty of life after Gabriel rather than the dead duck that was possibly expected. It also meant that Banks role in the band was now fully appreciated.
Gabriel on the other hand was just too big a talent to be in a band as his first solo album more than adequately demonstrated.He needed creative control over everything.
So who is better? Frankly I don't care!

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 05:13
Both eras produced fantastic, memorable music which I have loved and always will love. That's really all that needs to be said.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 06:21
Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

I'm not surprised anymore how Collins fans are chastised here as being disingenuous, lacking good judgement, or simply insane.  (ok, the latter two charges could stick).  Also like the OP I love both eras, and even don't mind Wilson's stuff.  Some art can be comerrcialy sucessful and good music.  I make no secret of my love for Invisible Touch.  Is it better than Lamb?  No, but aside from excessive radio play (hence the "success", it has many well-crafted songs.

I wasn't implying he said that. (I was poking a stick into a nest of bees - but keep it quiet - no one is supposed to know Big smile)

-------------

Posted By: catfood03
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 06:45

I wasn't implying he said that. (I was poking a stick into a nest of bees - but keep it quiet - no one is supposed to know Big smile)

ok... then you were implying Collins work is, um... cheesy like a Big Mac!      right?  Tongue

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 09:10

ok... then you were implying Collins work is, um... cheesy like a Big Mac!      right?  Tongue
You've got it!  Collins will clog your arteries.

-------------

Posted By: hobocamp
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 10:03

ok... then you were implying Collins work is, um... cheesy like a Big Mac!      right?  Tongue
You've got it!  Collins will clog your arteries.
"Sussudio" was created by Phil Collins, one of Genesis' earliest members, who was popular in several discos in the Pittsburgh area. It was designed to compete with a similar "1999" by Prince. Customer response to "Sussudio" was so positive that it rolled out nationally in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac#History" rel="nofollow - . One of its most distinctive features is a middle slice of bread ("club" layer) used to stabilize contents and prevent spillage.

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 10:05
lol @ the elitist prick attitude this thread is filled with. This is exactly why many other music fans dislike prog fans. Ermm

I mean, I don't like the Collins era, but you guys sound like you're saying that anyone who thinks Collins is better is wrong. This is opinion, not fact.

Posted By: NinaHoo
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 11:17
I like both eras as much,  . Collin´s singing  beside  drumming has proven he is just a pure gold (sorry can´t figure out better metaphor LOL ) ..but still I have been little more into Gabriels singing. I like more  his theatric performing - I think they both have given the best possible singing to this band! And Genesis have had two absolutely fantastic singers and that´s why  this band is even more intresting to me like Marillion....

Conclusion...

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 13:09
Genesis with Collins lasted only until Duke, after that I hesitate to consider them Genesis even if they kept that name.

Gabriel era by far although until Duke and a bit less Abacab they still made great music. 

Posted By: ickick
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 18:20

only one great album with phil as lead singer, and that is trick!  genesis got to pop

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 18:21

Nah son.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Xanatos
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 18:32
Controversial affirmation = Guaranteed replies = Succeful Thread!

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 18:33

yes the typing was in text language just cuz its easier to type that way.  

No it isn't.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 18:40
"Text language"? Confused

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 19:02
It's just a matter of taste, some like Prog, others like Pop.

I personally consider Collins voice flat and predictable and Gabriel a great vocalist despite his problem wih the high ranges, but that's my taste.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 19:04
Some like both.

But Collins era Genesis does not = pop.

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 19:06
Well, post W&W is Pop for me (and of the boring kind because there's great POP)...But again, it's my opinion.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 19:07
I understand. And for me it isn't and it isn't boring, which is my opinion. Fair enough.Handshake

-------------

Posted By: ronbo11
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 20:33
I think you're wrong, but you have a right to your opinion.  Phil was very keen to be a "crowd-pleaser" though so maybe that makes him a more natural frontman. I grew up listening to the PC version of Genesis, but going back to PG was an amazingly ear-opening experience.

Posted By: ferush
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 19:01
Both they are great and different artists that made sinegic work while they were a real team.

Posted By: Mr Lemonhog
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 19:22
Both are great, just different.  As far as pop goes, I didn't really dig the mid 1980's Genesis stuff but many prog bands went pop for a while just to stay alive.  The 80's were a confusing time for us all. :)

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 20:56
I don't like any era of Genesis very much.  So I'm not in this wave of  recent "Gabriel hating". My dislike of the band has been existent as long as I can remember.

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: esky
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:22

Gee, are you about done, Rush77, on capping on this poor dude? We get it already. He's just wanting to know if people prefer Collins over Gabriel, that's all. Get over it. He did step into a mindfield of criticism though. As to the initial question, both singers represent their respective eras, and that's about the size of it.

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:37
The question will always have to be: at what? Wink

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 11:10
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Well, post W&W is Pop for me (and of the boring kind because there's great POP)...But again, it's my opinion.

Iván
I just don't get the whole "pop" thing with Genesis......I totally do not agree on the pop thinking, it makes no sense.....Please explain to me how it makes sense to call any Genesis material "pop".

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 23:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Iván
I just don't get the whole "pop" thing with Genesis......I totally do not agree on the pop thinking, it makes no sense.....Please explain to me how it makes sense to call any Genesis material "pop".

After Hackett left, the band went for the commercial path, each album is poppier and simpler than it's predecessor until a point when Genesis became a band of sour-sweet repetitive and boring Pop ballads.

If you believe Invisible Touch and Shapes are examples of Progressive Rock, well I've been listening the wrong genre for 34 years.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Vince
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 08:18
It's a matter of opinion really...

I like both eras, both have their qualities. Even on albums like Invisible Touch, yes it has tracks that are very much pop/commercial, but tracks like Domino and The Brazilian have more composition depth than most pop music.

The only two albums I really had a hard time getting into, are the last two studio ones. I really like Ray Wilson on the last, but I just can't listen to the entire Calling All Stations album. Just 3-4 tracks, which I really like, but that's it. But I could put it on in a couple of years and like it. You never know...

-------------
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work until it's opened"... Frank Zappa.

Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 09:10

Iván

After Hackett left, the band went for the commercial path, each album is poppier and simpler than it's predecessor until a point when Genesis became a band of sour-sweet repetitive and boring Pop ballads.

If you believe Invisible Touch and Shapes are examples of Progressive Rock, well I've been listening the wrong genre for 34 years.

Iván

If you move away from the term "pop" and drop that from your vocabulary......I think you will appreciate the later Genesis recordings more. And its not all 100% progressive rock...correct, but I fear that you are listening to genre definitions rather than listening to music.
But at the end of the day its about personal choice.....Thanks Ivan!

-------------

Posted By: 1967/ 1976
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 09:30
Gabriel, Fripp and Hammill were, are and will be Prog music!!!

-------------

Posted By: hobocamp
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 09:35
^ For sure. Even their post classic-era stuff was cool. Cool

-------------
three dot, a trinity, a way to map the universe,
three dot
four dot, is what will make a square, a bed to build on, it's all there,
four dot

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 10:56
If, even on a prog forum Dead, it would make elitist to prefer the Gabriel era, so be it.  Gabriel Genesis is a step higher in depth and emotion. Only one thing improved, and briefly at that, after Gabriel left, that being Collins's drumming, which peaked on Brand X/ Trick of the tail.  This is not to say that Collins-Genesis is all bad though that is NOT where I'd be heading for some good pop but even the best of Trick/Wind can't hold a candle to umm....Cryme, Foxtrot, SEBTP, Lamb, masterpiece after masterpiece right there!

Posted By: AllP0werToSlaves
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 11:09
I've always enjoyed later Genesis (self titled, Invisible Touch, etc). Phil's voice is great; at least they didn't try and re-create the Gabriel magic over and over and kept it fresh by moving forward (or backwards depending on your perspective/opinion Wink)

Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 13:41

If you move away from the term "pop" and drop that from your vocabulary......I think you will appreciate the later Genesis recordings more. And its not all 100% progressive rock...correct, but I fear that you are listening to genre definitions rather than listening to music.
But at the end of the day its about personal choice.....Thanks Ivan!

No, I won't drop POP from my vocabulary, because it's a valid style of music, I will never appreciate post W&W recordings because IMO they are bland, boring, repetitive, predictable and miles away from they days of glory when they were the best Prog band

Please don't come me with the nonsense that I listen genres not music as a fact I love such bands like Duran Duran, Fleetwood Mac (Not the artsy Peter Green but the full POP Buckinngham and Nicks era) Cranberries, America, etc, and I value them over many Prog bands,m, because they were doing amazing POP.

But post W&W is POP, they captured the POP audience, they went to POP festivals, they supported POP artists and they won Grammy's to the best POP band as well as American Musical Awards and even MTV awards to best POP video.

So please don't tell me they were not POP, if you believe they were great POP, it's OK with me, but don't change a genre they embraced voluntarily.

Iván 

-------------

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 13:45
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

What's with all the Gabriel era Genesis haters around here lately?

And, um, no.

Lyricaly quality, expressive breadth, and sheer otherworldliness...Gabriel hands down.

And of course during the classic era we have both doing what they each do best.

Watch youtube of Gabriel and Collins doing Suppers Ready. It's not even close except for the money put into the set. Even Dance on a Volcano, which is my favorite Phil song, is just lyrically pallid compared to Peter's best work.

word

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 14:01

Fully agree with the OP. Gabriel was the better drummer though, but he started doing the vocals because his costumes got in the way of the drumkit.

Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 16:09
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Fully agree with the OP. Gabriel was the better drummer though, but he started doing the vocals because his costumes got in the way of the drumkit.

You gotta' be kidding.

Posted By: DaniMoon
Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 00:16
I think Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins were equally talented but they definitely had different styles. Peter's Genesis was classic prog rock at its best. After Peter left Genesis he continued to create music with an eccentric flair, while the remaining members became an 80's pop/soft rock sensation. As a lover of prog, I prefer the music of the Gabriel/Genesis era. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 02:14
Originally posted by esky esky wrote:

Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

You gotta' be kidding.

I don't agree with that, either.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 03:48
For me, it seems too difficult to make such a comparison. Collins is first and foremost a musician, then a singer second. Gabriel is first and foremost a writer, and a singer second. The only thing you can really compare is their singing style, and that's a matter of personal taste, nothing else.

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 04:55
As singers, i love both, about music, i kept on loving Genesis until Duke, but further releases have some great times yet

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 05:47
Phil Collins music in the Tarzan soundtrack is one of the best music I have heard, so emotional and tribal, it really is a nice fusion of african music and english singer/songwriting craft, he did just as amazing jobb with the Tarzan soundtrack as Elton did on the Lion King, he poured out every single fiber of music ontu this music, even some prog rock neuances, is their, that is where the fusion of african music and western music comes in, to dare to combine totaly alien musical worlds into sounding as natural as ever, and it is also quite symphonic and goes nicely to the canvas of the movie,

so delicate, so passionate, so soothing, almost like Jon Anderson or 80s Yes sounding

-------------

Posted By: DavetheSlave
Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 06:49
I think that it depends on what is meant by better. Zillions of adoring fans can't be wrong and I think that as a showman and as a vocalist Phil Collins leaves Peter Gabriel miles behind. I think that as an "artist" Gabriel is streaks ahead of Collins though. I love old Genesis and it just wasn't the same band any longer after Gabriel left. It tried to be for a while but both the considerations of the record labels in the 80's, the call of money and mainstream popularity, and Collins himself (not having the musical artistry that Gabriel has) killed off the Genesis that once was and I loved that Genesis. After "Duke" Genesis may as well have become Collins's backing band because that is precisely what happened - maybe a pity that they held on to the Genesis name as, had they forgone the name in favour of Collins and Co then the perceived sell out wouldn't have been an issue and Genesis could have rested easy on a sparkling history without the later distortion of the legacy.   

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 07:14
Let's see: Phil - good drummer and vocalist.  Peter - good vocalist and ok with the flute and tambourine.  I'll give Phil the edge.

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 12:50
Speaking of Petey Gabriel, I see that he's bypassing L.A. this summer to play in Santa Barbara instead. What a turd. He probably knows some expatriot there in its little enclave of Brits who he can spend the night with to avoid expenditures at the local Holiday Inn. I'm yawning as I type. When will he ever make meaningful music again?

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 17:16
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Let's see: Phil - good drummer and vocalist.  Peter - good vocalist and ok with the flute and tambourine.  I'll give Phil the edge.
True, but Phil used to be a great drummer, until time took it's toll.  If he was just good, Peter would win this.

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 10:36
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

True, but Phil used to be a great drummer, until time took it's toll.  If he was just good, Peter would win this.
Even with a medical condition that presently limits his time on the skins, Phillip Collins can beat out most drummers who only wish they had his natural born instinct and skill. Such silly comments here.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 10:40
Phil Collins if I really have to pick. 

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 11:08
I wonder if there somewhere in the galactic oceans of the interweb is talk of the same question, but with a large quantity of people stating what a horrible band Genesis were before they started making real music?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: June 16 2011 at 15:03
Originally posted by esky esky wrote:

Speaking of Petey Gabriel, I see that he's bypassing L.A. this summer to play in Santa Barbara instead. What a turd. He probably knows some expatriot there in its little enclave of Brits who he can spend the night with to avoid expenditures at the local Holiday Inn. I'm yawning as I type. When will he ever make meaningful music again?

Hey played Hollywood bowl in 2010.  I think he went for the better venue.  Ever been to the SB Bowl?  It is beautiful and way more comfortable than the Hollywood Bowl. I took more exception to the ticket prices. Confused  

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Posted By: desistindo
Date Posted: June 16 2011 at 15:18
Why dont we make a poll and end this eternal sardonic thread, hum?

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: June 16 2011 at 15:30
Originally posted by DavetheSlave DavetheSlave wrote:

Zillions of adoring fans can't be wrong

Dead

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: June 16 2011 at 16:10

It's just a matter of taste, some like Prog, others like Pop.

And some others like prog and Pop Wink

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: alyssamomoko
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 09:58
Every person has different opinions. Maybe we should just respect it. There's nothing we can do if someone likes them or not. We have different taste when it comes to music. 

-------------
http://www.bes.co.uk" rel="nofollow - plumbing / http://www.buyforlessonline.co.uk/Fancy%20Dress/" rel="nofollow - fancy dress /

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:15
Collins for me. No more comments.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 11:05
Why do we have to choose, You can listen to both, its not politics, its music. 

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 14:51
Originally posted by desistindo desistindo wrote:

Why dont we make a poll and end this eternal sardonic thread, hum?

Here in PA, Gabriel will win easily... however, if you did that on some other site, like Rolling Stone or Music Radar or whatever, surely Collins would win.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 15:09
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Phil Collins music in the Tarzan soundtrack is one of the best music I have heard, so emotional and tribal, it really is a nice fusion of african music and english singer/songwriting craft, he did just as amazing jobb with the Tarzan soundtrack as Elton did on the Lion King, he poured out every single fiber of music ontu this music, even some prog rock neuances, is their, that is where the fusion of african music and western music comes in, to dare to combine totaly alien musical worlds into sounding as natural as ever, and it is also quite symphonic and goes nicely to the canvas of the movie,

You scare me.

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 15:14
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

You scare me.

ApproveWinkCoolApprove
Wink

-------------

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 17:28
I realy love both,i realy get high as well with the Lamb as Trick or And then......

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk