Print Page | Close Window

Favorite prog artist for fans 18 and under.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74880
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 18:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite prog artist for fans 18 and under.
Posted By: let prog reign
Subject: Favorite prog artist for fans 18 and under.
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:16
Many people on this site have been saying that the younger generation of prog fans only like prog metal. Well I'm a huge fan of older bands like Genesis, King Crimson, VDGG, ect. There are also more recent bands that are great like Moon Safari, Porcupine Tree, and Transatlantic. I'm just trying to prove that the older generations of prog fans are wrong by saying we only like metal prog. So what are your favorite bands?

Replies:
Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:20
Do you like Opeth?

Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:23
I actually haven't listened to Opeth much but I think I need too. I think I would probably like Still Life but I really haven't listened to them. 

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:26
Magma

Posted By: Kilgannon
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:31
Without a doubt The Flower Kings are one of my all time favourite bands but I also enjoy PT, particularly early stuff Voyage 34, Metanoia etc. all very soothing melodic stuff

-------------

http://www.last.fm/user/r3m3dylan3" rel="nofollow - last.fm Profile

Posted By: Tursake
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:34
I don't really listen to prog metal that much. Mostly heavy prog (Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Rush etc.) although some would call those bands metal. Tongue

-------------

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake

Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:35
I would actually say those bands are the exact opposite of metal Wink

Posted By: TheOppenheimer
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:37
it may be easier making a prog band top10 (with no particular order)

agalloch
godspeed you black emperor
dream theater
ayreon
porcupine tree
russian circles
isis
rush
abarax
yes

prog metal: 2
post-metal: 3
heavy prog: 2
symphonic prog: 2
post rock: 1

(using progarchives.com categorization)

-------------
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
A veces es cuestión de esperar, y tomarte en silencio.

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:43

This has been covered recently in a number of age-related and metal-related threads. I believe moderators were discouraging more of the same.

The conclusion was that the youth-metal correlation barely exists on this website without also liking normal prog. But as far as I recall from my time here, none of the older peeps have ever accused our generation of liking only metal anyway.

It's like a non-existent problem really, that potentially has its roots in teenage paranoia as opposed to the obtusity of those aging rockers.

In case the thread continues, my favourite band is Yes!

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: ThinLizzy
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:44
My favourite prog bands are Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Rush, King Crimson, ELP, Yes, VDGG, Renaissance and many others.

I prefer the old generation and from the 'new' I like Dream Theater.

-------------
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:45
Rush, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, Riverside, Pink Floyd, Kamelot, Opeth .. and Jazz Fusion stuff (and many others)

Make of that what you will, but most of the prog metal fanatics will be on Metal Storm or Kerrang and suchlikes. I'm more interested in having a lively, sophisticated discussion with mature peers, than a fanboy online shouting match with some twelve year old deathcore fan...

-------------

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 14:46
Favorite all-time bands:

Deep Purple
Frank Zappa
Pink Floyd
Yes
Genesis
Soft Machine
John Coltrane
Camel

Something like that, it's not in order of preference.

Posted By: Nathaniel607
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 15:20
I like all the offshoots of prog. Well, still trying to get properly into Krautrock and Folk Prog (ignoring Raga-rock mostly lol). I do find quite a lot of the older bands are ungodly overrated (Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull [But I love "Thick as a Brick"]) but I do like King Crimson, Van Der Graaf, Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Naked City, Magma etcetera. I love a lot of new prog as well! I just think there's so much good music out there. It really is astounding.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nathaniel607" rel="nofollow - My Last FM Profile

Posted By: Show Don't Tell
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 16:39
In order, my top four would probably be:

Rush
Pink Floyd
Camel
Genesis

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 18:01

Posted By: NecronCommander
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 20:28
maudlin of the Well, Mastodon, ISIS, Animals as Leaders, you know what just look at my last.fm sig.

-------------

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 20:34
I'm 16.

Van der Graaf Generator
Dream Theater
Can
Magma
Porcupine Tree

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 20:36
Originally posted by let prog reign let prog reign wrote:

Many people on this site have been saying that the younger generation of prog fans only like prog metal. Well I'm a huge fan of older bands like Genesis, King Crimson, VDGG, ect. There are also more recent bands that are great like Moon Safari, Porcupine Tree, and Transatlantic. I'm just trying to prove that the older generations of prog fans are wrong by saying we only like metal prog. So what are your favorite bands?

Generalizations are generally generalizations.  I do believe that in general younger prog fans are more receptive to the metals.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 22:29
I don't think age has much to do with it. More mindset than anything. 

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 09:35
Thanks for backing up my point Slartibartfast. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 09:35
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Generalizations are generally generalizations.  I do believe that in general younger prog fans are more receptive to the metals.

ONLY because it's newer though (in the same way the original prog generation would have heard less 40's music than 70's music).

Apart from that, it's all down to one's mindset, irrespective of age.

-------------

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 09:37
Congratulations to all the teens here who listen to prog rock/metal!Clap

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 09:49
I have nothing against prog metal I was just trying to see if their are any younger people that like the classic bands. 

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 10:01

I have nothing against prog metal I was just trying to see if their are any younger people that like the classic bands. 

The answer is a rather obvious yes

-------------

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 11:40
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

The answer is a rather obvious yes

Yes ... i am getting rather tired of the stereotype now.

-------------

Posted By: ferush
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 19:15
Porcupine Tree: Part N+1

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 19:24
To all the other olde fartes on the thread....at what age did you turn onto prog?   

My first prog experience was with ITCOTCK, when I was about 13.....Soon, it was a multitude of bands, including Yes, Focus, Flash, ELP and Tull!

All of these bands had singles & heavy airplay on commercial radio in Chicago in the very early 1970's, so it was not unusual to hear tons of really great music mixed in with the pop of the day!   

Our radio DJs wore out the grooves on Focus' "Hocus Pocus," Yes' "Roundabout," Flash's "Small Beginnings," ELP's "In The Beginning" and Tull's "Living in the Past" as well as other tunes.  So, it was not at all difficult to fall for this genre, especially when the competition was the Jackson Five, The Carpenters etc.!  

It's not the age of the listener, but their access to & knowledge of the old music....we olde fartes owe it to the young to share our knowledge of quality music.  I've enjoyed helping the kids get into LTIA-era KC, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc.
PA is a great place for the interested kids to learn about these genres.   

Posted By: fasolplanetarium
Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 03:56

I can see what you're insinuating; I do notice that to a lot of people my age(I'm 20), prog signifies prog-metal and nothing else. Furthermore, I have to admit that it seems as though a lot of the older folks around here tend to think of prog as limited to the expanses of Genesis, post-1972 Yes, and  various 80's prog bands(non metal). 

Personally, I've never had an interest in prog-metal and I never will-it's far too technically oriented and over-laden with a magicianry that behind the illusion of virtuosity is really just an array of technical gimmicks and overdriven amp guises. I'm also an unashamed hater of Genesis, Rush and pretty much every prog band's career after 1972 or 1973. I'm an avid fan of Krautrock and some progressive-folk. I feel that the aforementioned evade the "cheese factor" that prog-metal and 80's bands are characterized by. 

-------------
"Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom."
-Kierkegaard

My music blog: endless-sound.blogspot.com

Posted By: michellemjk
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 17:16
Of the bands I tried on, my 9 years old son enjoys Genesis, Yes, King Crimson better than Porcupine tree, Transatlantic. Wink

He is actually a huge fan of a lot of older bands.

Posted By: Anirml
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 18:03
Originally posted by michellemjk michellemjk wrote:

Of the bands I tried on, my 9 years old son enjoys Genesis, Yes, King Crimson better than Porcupine tree, Transatlantic. Wink

He is actually a huge fan of a lot of older bands.

Your son knows what's good! Thumbs Up
Bridge across forever is a nice song though imo, but other songs I've heard from Transatlantic are meh.

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 13:19

I just discovered prog about 2-3 years ago (via Kansas and Yes).  As such, I actually got into the older bands, (Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush, Focus, etc.) before I even knew there was such a thing as modern prog.  I always figured that for most modern-day teenage prog fans, the reverse is true - they discover Dream Theater or Porcupine Tree or some form of prog metal and then move (pardon the pun) progressively backwards, discovering the likes of King Crimson, Genesis, etc.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: Xaxaar
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 14:57
I'm 17 and really like Toby Driver and Devin Townsend.  All though I have been getting into stuff like Art Zoyd and Univers Zero lately.

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 15:31
Many people on this site have been making generalizations and applying them to large groups of people.

-------------
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: September 07 2014 at 13:01
I'm very much into the 70s stuff (Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Procol Harum) but the handful of progressive fans I've met that are my age are all into the modern, heavier side of prog like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Riverside, Pain Of Salvation, etc. I can't get into it myself - I like the odd album (Metropolis Pt. 2 and The Mountain are masterpieces) but generally we ending up talking about Rush. They're really the meeting point between 70s, post-psychedelic stuff and that sort of 90s technical hard rock/metal.

Posted By: WrytXander
Date Posted: September 12 2014 at 12:06
Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Mike Oldfield and many more I'm getting into.

The only prog metal I've ever listened to is Dream Theatre, and I don't really plan to get any further into it.

To see my 70s favourites that I know very well, check my signature Wink

-------------
20+ prog bands discovered and explored in 3 years, still going strong...

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: September 12 2014 at 12:09
When I was a prog fan I was under 18 and listened to Genesis, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes and Tangerine Dream.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: September 12 2014 at 12:15
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73590&PN=1" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73590&PN=1

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: DreamInSong
Date Posted: September 14 2014 at 13:24
Well, when I was under 18 I started with Pink Floyd, then branched out to Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater.

I still don't really care for a lot of the older Prog (Yes, ELP, Rush, Jethro Tull). Though I did really enjoy VDGG and KC (Genesis is okay, After the Ordeal is still one of my favorite tracks).

-------------

Posted By: DBJetsman
Date Posted: September 15 2014 at 01:39
1. Rush
2. Yes
3. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
4. Pink Floyd
5. Genesis
6. Jethro Tull
7. King Crimson
8. Gentle Giant
9. Focus
10. The Moody Blues

-------------
"...we hope to give you something far more substantial and fulfilling. All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste."

- Gentle Giant

Posted By: floflo79
Date Posted: January 18 2015 at 07:14
Prog metal is great of course and I love Dream Theater but my favorite prog artists are :

1. Pink Floyd (favourite album : Wish You Were Here)
2. Yes (favourite album : Close To The Edge)
3. Genesis (favourite album : Selling England By The Pound)
4. King Crimson (favourite album : Red)
5. Gentle Giant  (favourite album : Octopus)
6. Jethro Tull (favourite album : Thick As A Brick)
7. Mike Oldfield (favourite album : Amarok)
8. Emerson, Lake & Palmer (favourite album : Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
9. Rush (favourite album : Moving Pictures)
10. Van Der Graaf Generator (favourite album : Pawn Hearts)

-------------

Posted By: garfunkel
Date Posted: June 05 2015 at 16:27
I turned 18 about half a month ago, and I got into prog less than a year ago.  I have acquired 18 cds and a couple vinyls since then.  Gentle Giant is definitely my favorite!!
I Love: ELP, Pink Floyd, VdGG, Genesis, Yes and KC.
I Like: Jethro Tull, Zappa, The Alan Parsons Project and Moody Blues
I need to check out these artists more: Henry Cow, Caravan, Gong, PFM, Renaissance, Porcupine Tree and Focus,... well and everything else on this site!

Posted By: justin4950834-2
Date Posted: June 05 2015 at 16:54
I'm nineteen and have the soul of a 49 year old man.
Although I do like newer prog but I can be very picky about it. I don't like extreme/tech metal and opeth (except for Damnation) can't stand syphomic copy cats like the Flower Kings, I make a few exceptions like Moon Safari.
Overall it's probably the production thats the main reason I'm not into newer prog bands. I do find that I like a lot of the newer eclectic prog bands though.
Heres my favorite bands

Brian Eno
Camel
Can
Frank Zappa
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Gong
Hawkwind
Jethro Tull
Kevin Ayers
King Crimson
Peter Hammill
VDGG
Pink Floyd
Nektar
Rush
Strawbs
Supertramp
Uriah Heep
Yes
10cc

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: June 05 2015 at 17:43
I didn't even know who Pink Floyd was when I was 18. Cry

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk