Print Page | Close Window

Anglagard - Hybris

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74912
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 05:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anglagard - Hybris
Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Subject: Anglagard - Hybris
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 11:45
Hi Guys, I just blind bought this album solely on the strength of your voting powers in the PA Top 100, so I have it in my hands now, so what should I expect from it musically, is it one of those that bring immediate joy or will I need to give a few listens? So what is Anglagard's signature sound, keyboard, vocal, guitar etc...and basically is it overhyped...Thanks in advanceSmile

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Replies:
Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 12:50
I don't like it much at all.  While there's a lot going on- and some of it is good- it's a mess in terms of composition.  Tough for me to get through, to be honest.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 12:51
Why not just listen to it, and then tell us what you thought.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 12:54
Prog Recommendations/Featured albums (5 Viewing)
Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 12:57
To be honest it took me a lot, a lot of listenings to "get it". It's a good album though and rewards further listening.Wink 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 12:59
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Prog Recommendations/Featured albums (5 Viewing)
Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums

You getting tired of people starting threads in the obviously wrong section?LOL

-------------

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 13:11
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

it's a mess in terms of composition.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. By all means call it unnecessarily complex, too busy etc. if that's how it strikes you, but to state that such complexities render the album "a mess" is both grossly unfair and rather inaccurate.

Anglagard are one of the few "retro-prog" artists I have any time for these days. Make of that what you will.

Posted By: daslaf
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 13:16
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

To be honest it took me a lot, a lot of listenings to "get it". It's a good album though and rewards further listening.Wink 

Same here, is a really complex album and kinda difficult to enjoy at a first listen, you know you're in front of something pretty good but it takes a while to get into it... but it's definitively an "easier" listen than their following album. 
I think I couldn't even finish listening Epilog the first four or five times I played it...

-------------
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 13:19
Well, let us know what you think. For my part, an excellent album.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 13:32
I would happily pay 200 GBP for a vinyl copy if i could find one..

....yes, it is that good Cool

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: BlindGuard
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 13:45
I got my copy today, and It's great.
Complex and yet heavenly beautiful...

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 13:51
Originally posted by BlindGuard BlindGuard wrote:

I got my copy today, and It's great.
Complex and yet heavenly beautiful...

That's a nice way of putting it. Why don't you post a review?

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 13:52
It's the only truly original post 1980 symphonic prog album that I've stumbled across.
Very beautifully written/played with a unique atmosphere.

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 14:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's the only truly original post 1980 symphonic prog album that I've stumbled across.

Although completely different in texture, I would thoroughly recommend David Minasian's 2010 release, Random Acts Of Beauty.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 14:27
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Although completely different in texture, I would thoroughly recommend David Minasian's 2010 release, Random Acts Of Beauty.
OK I've bittenBig smile. Just ordered it from Amazon after listening to the samples and reading the reviews.

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 14:28
I prefer Wobbler personally.

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 14:49
Certainly not an easy album to digest but very very good, give it a chance and you will probably enjoy it.
I personally miss a bit more of traditional melody, harmony and structure because I like complex music yet still with "musicality" if you know what I mean. But a great album anyway.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 18:10
it brought me "immediate joy"

I prefer Epilog, though, if only by a little.  Both are 5* albums

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 18:18
I like it.

I agree with TP that is top of the heap "retro-prog". Took me a little while to fully enjoy it, though the track streaming from PA was love at first listen.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: wilmon91
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 18:44
Bearing in mind the amount of praise that I've read about this band, and this album, I think it must be the most overrated prog band / album. I got it somewhere in -97, and I never really liked it. But there are parts of it which I've had on my mind off and on through the years, and there's something about the expression of a flute which is very honest.

One obvious source of inspiration is Genesis (Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot particularly). I don't like the sound of the drums , and neither the drum playing. The tom-toms don't have any ring to them, they are too dampened, which is annoying. The playing is a bit stiff and over-dramatic.

There's a scandinavian folksong influence in the music. "Vandringar i vilsenhet" begins with a very folksong-ish melody.

You can feel that there's a lot of ambition behind the album though. But it feels a little over-ambitious. The harmonies and melodies aren't interesting enough to be used as the foundation to compositions of such dramatic proportions.

But that's just my opinion.

-------------
http://www.lastfm.se/user/wilmon91" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 22:11
I really love this album. Great from start to end. However, I do think it takes a few listens to appreciate it. The easier song for me to appreciate (and still my favourite) is Kung Borr, but they are all great.

Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 12:44
Thanks everyone for your input, I didn't get a chance today to listen to it so tomorrow will be the big dayBeer

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 13:56

I don't like it much at all.  While there's a lot going on- and some of it is good- it's a mess in terms of composition.  Tough for me to get through, to be honest.

I bought it last year, also because of the high PA rating, and was disappointed by it for the same reason as you. Although the musicianship is excellent and I was immediately taken away by the first minutes of Jordrok, after a few minutes I lost it completely and I didn't like it at all in terms of composition. It all sounds too fragmentary in my ears. And not in the good, classic, early Genesis way, but it seems to be going nowhere.

I still don't like it, by the way. But, reading some of the comments here, I certainly would want to try again and again, because some of you say it should grow by further listenings. Well, I'm planning on giving it a fair hearing. I remember one album which I only liked after seven (!) hearings (Coda - What A Symphony), so maybe I'll change my opinion someday about Hybris. To be continued.

Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 18:20
anyway Harold, if you're one of those mainstreamy symph-proggers you won't like it, but otherwise you should

Posted By: ferush
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 19:37
Great Hybris, a trip to the past with a 90s album and one to the posterity.

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 20:50
I loved it immediately from first listen.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 20:57
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I bought it last year, also because of the high PA rating, and was disappointed by it for the same reason as you. Although the musicianship is excellent and I was immediately taken away by the first minutes of Jordrok, after a few minutes I lost it completely and I didn't like it at all in terms of composition. It all sounds too fragmentary in my ears. And not in the good, classic, early Genesis way, but it seems to be going nowhere.
 I still don't like it, by the way. But, reading some of the comments here, I certainly would want to try again and again, because some of you say it should grow by further listenings. Well, I'm planning on giving it a fair hearing. I remember one album which I only liked after seven (!) hearings (Coda - What A Symphony), so maybe I'll change my opinion someday about Hybris. To be continued.

I kinda felt the same, but also realized what I was hearing was too rich to fully appreciate at once-- I waited, played it a bit more, started to really enjoy it

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 21:05
Originally posted by wilmon91 wilmon91 wrote:

Bearing in mind the amount of praise that I've read about this band, and this album, I think it must be the most overrated prog band / album. 

Sorry for the honesty, but this kind of statements always piss me.

Saying that a beloved album from a respected band  is overrated (receives credit that doesn't deserve), implies that we are all idiots who worship a band and album that doesn't deserve that respect just because you don't like them.

That's why I never use the word overrated.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: michellemjk
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 21:11
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

This. I found it special but familiar.

Posted By: TheJollyBard
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 21:20

It's just awesome, mostly because of the general atmosphere.

I personally like how seems to be falling apart and how the drummer knows how to make a good back-beat.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 00:27
Of course one of the things which made Hybris so special was the timing and context when it appeared.
The early 90's are probably the most desolated period for prog, the peak of neo was already well passed and the renaissance brought by Spocks Beard, TFK etc was yet to come.
New Age (some of it I mean) was nearly the only decent music being released.

And then out of the blue came this album which sounded like a time machine back to 1973. Regardless of liking it or not it is certainly an album of historical significance, and probably an important trigger for the renaissance above mentioned. Thank you Anglagard.

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 00:36
I don't really see Anglagard as a throwback

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 01:54
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I don't really see Anglagard as a throwback
in terms of expressing theselves on an artistic level they probably are in the realms of symph prog.Most symph prog made after 1980 that I've heard fails to get this natural organic flavour that Anglagard seems to achieve almost effortlessly. I think this is partly because they utilised their own culture and emotions and didn't go for something 'second hand'.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 03:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I kinda felt the same, but also realized what I was hearing was too rich to fully appreciate at once-- I waited, played it a bit more, started to really enjoy it

Good, I will certainly give it extra listenings, over an extended period of time. So many good ratings. As they say: 416 proggers can't be wrong LOL

Posted By: Majikthise
Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 05:14

It's a bit too off the wall for me, but like most complex music I'd need to give it a few more listens before I make any valid judgement.

love  the Chris Squire-esque huge prog bass sound though. It's wonderful.

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 06:01
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Bearing in mind the amount of praise that I've read about this band, and this album, I think it must be the most overrated prog band / album. 

Saying that a beloved album from a respected band  is overrated (receives credit that doesn't deserve), implies that we are all idiots who worship a band and album that doesn't deserve that respect just because you don't like them.

Iván

I didn't intend to piss you off, but I don't find any more relevant way to express myself. Because I don't find the album bad, it just doesn't match the overwhelming praise that it's been given.

It does sound very honest, and it does have all the ingredients that a prog-fan may like, and I can understand the appeal. I think it has a lot of ambition and noble intention, but is lacking in musical depth.

Since the band always have been extremely praised, and since that was the reason I bought the album , and was disappointed, I thought it was a good opportunity to state my opinion to examplify that it's not 100% sure that everyone will like the album - and most importantly, to encourage new listeners to keep an open mind and don't be swept away by what I think is an unjustified hype.

But I can agree that the word overrated is derogatory, in the sense that it may be over-used or misused on a forum like this, and therefore destructive to the discussion. Maybe I'll avoid it in the future. But I'll always defend opinions challenging the majority, even if I'm with the majority. Alternative individual opinions never bother me, but could provoke me to re-evaluate things to some extent.

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 06:06

Iván

I didn't intend to piss you off, but I don't find any more relevant way to express myself. Because I don't find the album bad, it just doesn't match the overwhelming praise that it's been given.

It does sound very honest, and it does have all the ingredients that a prog-fan may like, and I can understand the appeal. I think it has a lot of ambition and noble intention, but is lacking in musical depth.

Since the band always have been extremely praised, and since that was the reason I bought the album , and was disappointed, I thought it was a good opportunity to state my opinion to examplify that it's not 100% sure that everyone will like the album - and most importantly, to encourage new listeners to keep an open mind and don't be swept away by what I think is an unjustified hype.

But I can agree that the word overrated is derogatory, in the sense that it may be over-used or misused on a forum like this, and therefore destructive to the discussion. Maybe I'll avoid it in the future. But I'll always defend opinions challenging the majority, even if I'm with the majority. Alternative individual opinions never bother me, but could provoke me to re-evaluate things to some extent.

It is overrated, don't worry.Smile

However...I do like it as I said before.

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 11:59

Sorry, but the fact that you don't believe it's a great album doesn't mean that we are all wrong and rated the album too high, it just means you didn't like it as we.

Thanks..That was my only point. ClapClapClap

I also challenge the majority:

1. I don't like King Crimson except the debut
  2. I hate most Gentle Giant
  3. I can't stand a single VDGG album
  4. The voice of Jon Anderson breaks my nerves
  5. I like Triumvirat much more than ELP and don't consider them clones.
I encourage everybody to disagree if that will make you keep your honest position., but always thought that overrated is a term that offends those who like the album, because it implies that your position is more valid than the one of the majority.

Cheers

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 13:52

What I meant was that the word overrated can become derogatory if it is over-used or misused. It's a handy word for everyone on a forum like this, which makes me consider to avoid using it. Because it has become a derogatory term on this forum. Objectively, I don't see any problem with the word, other than that it's rather condemning.

About being offensive is interesting because I think most proggers is used to avoiding popular commercial music, which has the most listeners, and the most fans around the world. Many prog-fans wouldn't hesitate to call some popular artist "crap". Would they be offensive? Not very much, because one person can't hurt millions of people just by saying that it's crap.

Or an other example, if a bunch of people is outside enjoying a very sunny weather, and one of them says "it's very cold", would they be offended because they have the opposite opinion about the weather? No, not if they are sure of their own opinion. They would just find it a curious opinion.

It's the same with your opinion about Gentle Giant. You have a curious opinion about them Big smile

It's just funny to me, and I'm not the least offended.

That's the way I think about respect - be gentle with minorities, but a majority can withstand harsher criticism. But of course, you should never be driven by anger. And I'm not angry about Änglagĺrd. I'm too used to be having alternate opinions to be frustrated about it.

-------------

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 16:35

I also challenge the majority:

1. I don't like King Crimson except the debut
  2. I hate most Gentle Giant
  3. I can't stand a single VDGG album
  4. The voice of Jon Anderson breaks my nerves
  5. I like Triumvirat much more than ELP and don't consider them clones.

What? ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked.....LOL

Posted By: plpicher
Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 16:44
It's complex, it has an amazing sound, it's extremely powerful, i loved it the first time i listened to it, the second time, it became one of my top 10 albums.

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 17:19

It's the same with your opinion about Gentle Giant. You have a curious opinion about them Big smile

You still don't get me.

I say I don't like Gentle Giant but I never said all the people who believe Gentle Giant is great are wrong, I'm sure it's a great band, I just don't like them, but I believe they deserve all the credit they receive

Overrated on the other hand is an arrogant term, meaning all the people who rate them so high are wrong because you say it deserves a lower rating than they get.

If you say "I don't like Hybris", it's OK, nobody can force you to like them or feel offended for your taste.

Do you get the difference?

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 17:21
I do like Hybris but feel its overrated.Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 18:08

You still don't get me.

I say I don't like Gentle Giant but I never said all the people who believe Gentle Giant is great are wrong, I'm sure it's a great band, I just don't like them, but I believe they deserve all the credit they receive

Overrated on the other hand is an arrogant term, meaning all the people who rate them so high are wrong because you say it deserves a lower rating than they get.

If you say "I don't like Hybris", it's OK, nobody can force you to like them or feel offended for your taste.

Do you get the difference?

Iván

Yes, I get the difference. Saying "I hate it" is a criticism towards the band. Saying "it's overrated" is a criticism to those people that have written about it and praising it. And since I don't find the album bad, it is just very unremarkable, and my major point was concerning it's high esteem among prog-fans.

If you watch "The Godfather" (the movie) for example, it is inevitable that you will compare your opinions with the expectations you had beforehand. Those expectations came from the general opinions about the movie. You expect a masterpiece.

Since the only reason I bought the album was because of the massive positive opinions about it, it's inevitable to compare my opinions with the general opinions.

So if you look at it from my perspective, my opinion is unavoidable. Even if some people including you, will be offended, the criticism is aimed at its reputation, and shouldn't be taken as a personal attack. If you still feel that way, I'm sorry, but what can I do..

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 18:56

Yes, I get the difference. Saying "I hate it" is a criticism towards the band. aken as a personal attack. If you still feel that way, I'm sorry, but what can I do..

Just this short precision.

Saying I hate Gentle Giant, it's not a criticism to the band, it's an expression of my taste, they could be great (and a fact I believe all are excellent musicians, just that I don't like what they do together) and I still hate their music.

I still believe that the term overrated is a criticism to other person's opinion, and no, I don't feel offended, I'm used to listen that Prog is self indulgent crap´for three decades, and never affected my sleep, I love Prog independently from other person's opinions, I just try to make PA more respectful every day.

If you check my posts, I can be passionate in my debates, even stubborn, but I try to never use terms as trash, crap or overrated

Iván

-------------

Posted By: m2thek
Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 20:22
I agree with Ivan. I think it's a really poor way to describe something, and gives the impression that one thinks their opinion holds more weight than others. I don't think people mean it in this way, but that's what it reads as.

I also agree that Hybris is great; let us know what you think =)

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 20:25
of course it's overrated, it's also a terrific album, as SnowDog points out both can be true

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 01:50
I tend to think everything is overrated on this site other than ELP and Par Lindh albumsSmile

Posted By: let prog reign
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 08:29
Hybris is an interesting album with a very distinct sound. It is extremely progressive and I think that is the reason why it is rated so highly. The album is mostly dominated by keyboards and guitar. Its almost too typical of a prog rock album. So it's decent but definitely overrated and doesn't belong in the top 100. 

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 09:41
Well I've now listened to it three times and I must say it is a very "Proggy" Prog album, it wasn't as hard listening as I expected, I loved the use of mellotron, it sounds right out of the 70's, which is a good thing of course. if I had one reservation about Hybris is that I would have liked more vocals, but thats just me and its not really a fault. So thanks to everyone who replied with their thoughts on it.Beer

-------------

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 09:55
It's pretty boring.

I think 70s prog bands did a fairly good job exploring the sound. I don't need to hear anymore of it.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:00
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

It's pretty boring.

I think 70s prog bands did a fairly good job exploring the sound. I don't need to hear anymore of it.

Overrated then?TongueWink

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:15
I didn't use that profanity.

It is though.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Jake Kobrin
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:27
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

I would happily pay 200 GBP for a vinyl copy if i could find one..

....yes, it is that good Cool

I've held it in my hand... Shocked

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Neil-Kobrin/244687105562746" rel="nofollow - SUPPORT MY FATHER AND BECOME A FAN

Jacob Kobrin Illustration

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 12:24

I think it's as Gerinski says.  Its significance has to do with it being a 90's album , and the band was formed in the 90's by young members, representing a new generation of prog musicians who could carry on the spirit of seventies prog in the present time.

Posted By: areazione
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 13:37
Originally posted by Harold-The-Barrel Harold-The-Barrel wrote:

Hi Guys, I just blind bought this album solely on the strength of your voting powers in the PA Top 100, so I have it in my hands now, so what should I expect from it musically, is it one of those that bring immediate joy or will I need to give a few listens? So what is Anglagard's signature sound, keyboard, vocal, guitar etc...and basically is it overhyped...Thanks in advanceSmile

It became immediately one of my 10 best albums of all time. No doubt about it.
This tells you how brilliant that piece of music is in my opinion.

Will you like it as much as I do? Don't know, perhaps it would be different for you. Give it at least a full and careful listen and then judge. It is not one of the easiest albums out there to get in touch with. Be patient. That's my advice to you.

-------------
Umbra profunda sumus, ne nos vexetis, inepti; non vos, sed doctos tam grave quaerit opus

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 19:18

It's pretty boring.

but it doesn't even sound similar to 70s prog.  You people are nuts

Posted By: TheJollyBard
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 19:20

It's pretty boring.

But it is the best sound!

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 19:21

I think it's as Gerinski says.  Its significance has to do with it being a 90's album , and the band was formed in the 90's by young members, representing a new generation of prog musicians who could carry on the spirit of seventies prog in the present time.

A prime example of backwards-looking music; the antithesis of prog in an era marked by an absolute lack of innovation.

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 19:28

It's pretty boring.

And Starcastle never heard of Yes.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 19:50
I listened today, probably my fifth full listen, and it is jam packed with stuff--  it's like you have to slowly unpack it all before you see what you have .. well worth it though, and will undoubtedly become revered as one of the great Prog recordings of any time

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 05:50

It's pretty boring.

OK, given that logic name me which 70s band Anglagard are ripping off? Starcastle is to Yes as Anglagard is to...?

Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 06:31
I have to agree with those that are saying the it doesn't sound like any seventies band. It doesn't. It just uses seventies instruments.

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 00:58
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I have to agree with those that are saying the it doesn't sound like any seventies band. It doesn't. It just uses seventies instruments.

THANK YOU

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 08:55
Anglagard, one of those highly praised bands, which do absolutely nothing for me. I have listen to them a number of times, hoping to catch what is suposedly so special about them. Each time I catch myself drifting away to do other things, read the newspaper, day dream, and a lot of other things, except taking in the music, ... deadly boring if you ask me.Dead

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: akajazzman
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 12:49
I too bought it blindly, based on the fantastic ranking it gets in the PA polls, as I so often agree with the general collective rankings.   Its certainly very good, but am surprised its considered so freakin' great.    Perhaps part of it being held in such high regard is because it came out during a pretty dry period in Prog history, and helped spawn a new day for Prog Rock.  There's many Prog albums that came after it that I like more (and certainly that came before it.)

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 12:51
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

It's pretty boring.

OK, given that logic name me which 70s band Anglagard are ripping off? Starcastle is to Yes as Anglagard is to...?

It's called a joke guy. There's not ripping off anybody, but you're really going to deny that they're exploring a 70's style of prog?

Regardless, they're still boring. I could care less what decade they're from or sound like they're from. 

-------------

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 13:15

it brought me "immediate joy"

I prefer Epilog, though, if only by a little.  Both are 5* albums

This is pretty much my opinion. I think both albums are masterpieces.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: cesarsc
Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 17:52
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

The same to me..

-------------
Still a Newbie in THIS forum....

Posted By: PlumAplomb
Date Posted: January 24 2011 at 10:12
i heard them on here months ago and have since acquired everthing i can get form them, hybris is amazing to me

Posted By: freudiana
Date Posted: November 03 2012 at 01:41

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

It's pretty boring.

It's called a joke guy. There's not ripping off anybody, but you're really going to deny that they're exploring a 70's style of prog?

Regardless, they're still boring. I could care less what decade they're from or sound like they're from. 

I think they are ripping off the band Bubu.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 03 2012 at 03:43
Its glorious prog and not overrated in the slightest. Its a masterpiece album. Whats wrong with you people?

-------------

Posted By: Trick of the lamb
Date Posted: November 03 2012 at 07:37
It certainly is a great album with excellent musicianship, but there is one thing that some people could dislike (me included), and that is the fact that the music is constantly shifting, and unlike the older prog bands, they don't settle on a melody\harmony and develop it for a minute or two.  

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: November 03 2012 at 08:44
Hey, another great thread redug from the past, please allow me to address You something.

I personally felt similarly as Epignosis about this and the following studio albums of Änglagĺrd; I recon beautiful ideas but to my ears there are annoying compositional solutions executed.
But I was really happy about their latest recording Viljans Öga, which I felt moved to different intensity and orientation on the compositional level, yet maturing their original sound without drastic changes in this sector.
Possibly it takes very much time for maturing the arts of emulating symphonic classical music's philosphies through rock music expression.
It is also evident that the aims of composore's might have changed. The "tricky" and "intelligently complex" sound patterns morphosis towards more romantic coherension could be seen as regression from a different perspective.

I contemplated that the enthusiastic impact for the album and band was due both their sound AND availibility through widespread merchadise channels.
I think there are much innovative and lovely retro art rock bands found from nearly everywhere, based on to the limited perspection granted to me so far from different parts of the world.
As a whole, on Sweden the 90's mellotron prog revival concisted from many fine bands, but I often felt it took and album or few from all of them to reach the highest spheres on their grandiose flight.

Hopefully OP still enjoys the album, but I wouldn't buy anything based on praises on any top-lists, hopefully people would do some previews from audio samples of the album before spending money.
I bid you all wonderful Al Saints Day.

Posted By: Ytse_Jam
Date Posted: November 03 2012 at 09:29
Originally posted by Trick of the lamb Trick of the lamb wrote:

the music is constantly shifting
how in the world this can be seen as a fault?

Posted By: Trick of the lamb
Date Posted: November 03 2012 at 10:10
I'm not saying it's bad, I just think that they move too fast between musical themes, instead of developing on certain ideas.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: November 03 2012 at 10:27
I think it is great because everyone else does........not

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk