Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75044
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 17:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Uriah Heep Vs. Atomic Rooster
Posted By: Morningrise
Subject: Uriah Heep Vs. Atomic Rooster
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 19:24
Just curious to see the results. I'll go with the Rooster.

Replies:
Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 19:30
The Heep for me...Look at Yourself and Demons and Wizards are better than anything of Atomic Rooster IMO

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 19:34
Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

The Heep for me...Look at Yourself and Demons and Wizards are better than anything of Atomic Rooster IMO

Great albums indeed. But to me they fall short in comparison to In Hearing Of Atomic Rooster and Death Walks Behind You.

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 19:47
Da Roosta.

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 19:59
Rooster. They released way fewer albums, but man, Death Walks Behind You is killer, and so is their debut. The soulish funky era is enjoyable too.

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 20:46

The Rooster.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 20:58
Atomic Rosster by miles.

-------------

Posted By: glenn_ecko
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 21:28
Uriah Heep without a doubt. They have 4 excellent albums. Atomic Rooster has 1.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 21:57
Uriah Heep is the band that introduced me to Prog (even before knowing that Prog existed), so my vote is for UH.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 03:10
what he said!

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 03:28
^What they both said :-)

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: poslednijat_colobar
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 03:51
Uriah Heep being my favourite band , so....ClapClapClap

Posted By: ThinLizzy
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 03:56
No albums like Demons & Wizards from Atomic Rooster.

-------------
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 03:59
Atomic rooster!Nice band.

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: clarkpegasus4001
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 04:55
Atomic Rooster
Tony C.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 05:58
You either like Byron's voice or you think a fish salesman auditioned successfully for the gig.

Voted for Rooster.Wink

-------------

Posted By: Rune2000
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 07:18
Not a poll worth having, if you ask me. I'm sure that more people have heard/heard of Heep than Rooster so they'll win by default.

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 07:31
Uriah Heep is my old flame. Atomic Rooster are surely good, but not too important and influential as Heeps, mostly thought  Byron´s era. Generally told, Heep´s music is relly more melodic and straightforward , Rooster´s one is darker and obscure.

Apart from worldwide fame. I´d bet 80% Rock fans used to know anything from Heep, on the other hand barely 10% anything from Rooster.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 08:43
Uriah Heep for me.

Posted By: Jazzywoman
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 12:16
The heepsters are amazing, while the Rooster is......slightly below average....Wink

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 13:25
The day Vincent Crane split from Arthur Brown, he made a huge mistake.

They had more great songs in "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown" than in all Atomic Rooster's career.

On the other hand, between "Very 'Eavy.....Very Umble" and "Sweet Freedom", you can hardly find a bad track, mainly in the Uriah Heep glorious trilogy 

1.- Look at Yourself
2.- Demons & Wizards
3.- The Magician's Birthday.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 15:17
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

They had more great songs in "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown" than in all Atomic Rooster's career.

Wise words matey  Clap(with the possible exception of Death Walks Behind You)

The combination of Crane's arrangements and Arthur's vocals on The Crazy World of Arthur Brown's début make it a unimpeachable classic of any genre (pronounced John Rah apparently)Wink

Say No to 'post God of Hellfire' foolishness or you're gonna burn, BURN, BURN, BURNNNNEvil Smile
(copyright Walter 1989)

-------------

Posted By: trackstoni
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 16:42
Use by Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!

-------------
Tracking Tracks of Rock

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 15:40
Sorry but I find Uriah Heep a bit cheesy.

I only have the debut by Atomic Rooster but its excellent organ lead stuff if a bit maudlin at times. Carl Palmer took some persuading to leave this band ,understandably!

Posted By: Lizzy
Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 15:56
It's basically (at least) 3 excellent albums vs. 1. So the heepsters get the vote.

-------------
Property of Queen Productions...

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 17:55
i like the rooster but i love the heep!!!  stronger albumsWink

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 18:20
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Uriah Heep is my old flame. Atomic Rooster are surely good, but not too important and influential as Heeps, mostly thought  Byron´s era. Generally told, Heep´s music is relly more melodic and straightforward , Rooster´s one is darker and obscure.

Apart from worldwide fame. I´d bet 80% Rock fans used to know anything from Heep, on the other hand barely 10% anything from Rooster.

Yeah, that's exactly what a Prog fan would say. Ermm

Posted By: Crimson Dr.
Date Posted: June 14 2011 at 23:15
I like Atomic Rooster, but the Heep aren't nothing to laugh at. I just think that the "Death Walks Behind You" album is under rated as a progressive masterpiece

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 02:34
Uriah Heep had a few ok songs but were largely the absolute nadir of 70's hard rock. So much inadequate songwriting, arranging, jamming and painfully trite lyrics. They couldn't write an epic to save their lives either; just listen to the horrid fade transitions in "Paradise / The Spell" and "The Magician's Birthday"... and don't get me started on "Salisbury".

Atomic Rooster on the other hand was an amazing, tuneful, catchy progressive hard rock group with immaculate musicianship, especially from Vincent Crane. Pure class, I am stunned by the turnout of this poll. Although I guess it shouldn't surprise me, I have long differed from the average prog fan it seems, in that I don't necessarily favor the band with the longer tracks and more organ solos.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 02:44
Of Atomic Rooster I've heard nothing but the name and I am not a fan of Uriah Heep (though David Byron's vocals and Ken Hensley's organ playing are ok), so no vote.

-------------

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 03:39
uriah heep

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 04:15
The Rooster

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 07:30
Two of the best "heavy on the Hammond" bands of the early '70's. Both declined on a musical level IMO by the mid 70's and both had numerous personnel changes throughout the '70's thus resulting in style and structural changes in thier music as the decade went on. More so for the Rooster than Heep.

The Rooster by a feather.

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 09:31
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The combination of Crane's arrangements and Arthur's vocals on The Crazy World of Arthur Brown's début make it a unimpeachable classic of any genre (pronounced John Rah apparently)Wink

Yeah, with you both there. It could have been something (else) stellar from Brown & Crane if they'd stuck together.

So I guess I'm voting for UH - as I find AR a little more hit and miss across their (smaller) output, even if UH are hit and miss too, probably more memorable moments from them

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - JazzMusicArchives.

Posted By: JeanFrame
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 09:46
Heap for affectionate reasons

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 12:38
Atomic Rooster by a long shot-their music is much better than Heep's

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 13:09
I don't know Uriah Heep that well, but if they have released albums I'd like nearly as much as Atomic Rooster's Death Walks Behind You, then I should check out more of them.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 13:37
I own albums by both and they are ok....but not a huge fan of either

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: giselle
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 16:10
My vote goes to Uriah Heep, not so much for the music, for the longevity, the character etc. Rooster were good musicians, but splintered quickly for obvious reasons.

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 16:31
Atomic rooster was a very good band but the heep gave better albums, it's a fact

Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 17:02
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Yeah, with you both there. It could have been something (else) stellar from Brown & Crane if they'd stuck together.

So I guess I'm voting for UH - as I find AR a little more hit and miss across their (smaller) output, even if UH are hit and miss too, probably more memorable moments from them
I have always found the Rooster music clicks with me a lot more than the Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, for me, it is of a better quality

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 18:00
Uriah Heep by far.

-------------

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 19:27
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I have always found the Rooster music clicks with me a lot more than the Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, for me, it is of a better quality

Yeah? Do you mean compositionally, technically, or perhaps lyrically too? I always found some of Arthur's lyrics a little cheesy (but fun) but when I got to Rooster sometimes the more serious stuff works for me. And it's a fuller sound with AR compared to Crazy World, huh? (not that I am down on more sparse-sounding records either)

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - JazzMusicArchives.

Date Posted: June 15 2011 at 20:04

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Yeah? Do you mean compositionally, technically, or perhaps lyrically too? I always found some of Arthur's lyrics a little cheesy (but fun) but when I got to Rooster sometimes the more serious stuff works for me. And it's a fuller sound with AR compared to Crazy World, huh? (not that I am down on more sparse-sounding records either)
Hi-Rooster works better for me in pretty well any aspect,(except lyrically-both bands do not do all that much for me in that area) but  with Rooster's instrumental creativity, the freedom the  musicians have, and how they show their musical freedom, to the specifically technical savvy that all ARs musicians have beyond a doubt-and the variations that always appeal to me, no matter what phase Rooster went thru, it always connects with me, and then there's the gutsy emotion that is always evident. Yes, the Crazy World is appealing in itself, but as a package deal, Rooster has it

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 16 2011 at 23:00
Uriah Heep was a great character in David Copperfield, but a fair to middling band. Still, Heep's 3 or 4 good albums are more than Rooster ever did.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: June 17 2011 at 01:16
Uriah Heep for me, I'm big fan of the band, but AR is a great band aswell, little underrated IMO.

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: June 17 2011 at 14:01
Both had/have great Roger Dean's cover designs,great guitarists(Box/John Du cann),they also played/play excellent heavy prog(Uriah Heep is more about concept albums though)but Vincent Crane was a great  keyboard player.Atomic Rooster wins in OT.

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: June 17 2011 at 22:44
The Heep although they should have called it quits years ago.

Posted By: b4usleep
Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 15:59
heep

-------------
Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout.

Posted By: Mr Greeen Genes
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 00:03
Not a big fan of either, but they both have some stuff I like, more stuff from Atomic Rooster though, so they get my vote...

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: September 14 2011 at 23:49
Atomic Rooster - but they are not as commercial as Heep so no way they will win this sadly

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk