Print Page | Close Window

Four Ways: Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: General Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75411
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 08:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Four Ways: Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai?
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Subject: Four Ways: Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai?
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:30
These polls are making me hungry again. Tongue

Kimchee, sushi, pho, pad thai, oh my!

We have the real deals in town of these. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Replies:
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:38
I see you made me a new poll!

I pick Vietnamese, although all are of course pretty darn good

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:50
as much as I love Korean and Japanese, Vietnam has some of the tastiest and most interesting cuisine on the planet

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:51
I'll go with Thai.

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:52
I've got a couple more polls in mind: Mediterranean and Carribean would be fun.
Spanish, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Turkish.  We have restaurants around town that do those.
Jamaican, Cuban, Puerto Rican.

I decided to go for the one I have most often, Japanese.  Give me some good sushi with wasabi some miso soup, and I'm in heaven.  One of my go to dishes to make at home is marinated raw tuna.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 21:06
Love 'em all.  I went with Vietnamese because it's the least commonly found, and a good bowl of pho is like Christmas in your mouth.  I live an hour away from Cleveland, the nearest city with Viet eateries, so when I need a pho fix, I make a day of it.

I'm a fairly recent convert to Japanese, although I still won't eat sushi.  Thai is rapidly gaining adherents (green curry is my default dish).  I have to travel a bit for Korean, but not as far as for Viet - Cuyahoga Falls has a very good Korean place, they make an awesome tak bulgoki.

Cambodian is another good cuisine.  Gotta travel to Cleveland for that too.  Basically it's like a cross between Thai and Viet with a few ideas of its own.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 21:16
 ^ I'm a noodle bowl man myself but I've heard great things about phở

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 21:27
Not trying to make you jealous or anything:

I live and work in the area of probably the coolest road in Atlanta - Buford Highway (or as like to call it Bruford Tongue).  Drive up from the bottom, map wise, and you can get all kinds of major Asian except Indian and Japanese, I think. The restaurant with the Japanese buffet closed.  Several Taquerias, Tex-Mex, Mex-Mex, and the Buford Highway Farmer's Market, which is the go to place for picking up world cuisine items. 

Sadly, the Vietnamese restaurant in Clarkeston quit doing the French sandwiches.  Nice fresh and fried rolls in the cuisine.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 21:34
it's your Mex/Texmex that I envy (and I've also heard good things about Georgian BBQ)

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 21:38
I still need to try most of these.  

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 21:42
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

it's your Mex/Texmex that I envy (and I've also heard good things about Georgian BBQ)

Thanks to all the other restaurants, I don't go out for the BBQ often.  There's this place called Pig 'n' Chik http://pignchik.net/" rel="nofollow - http://pignchik.net/

that I've probably been to more than any other. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 22:06
I love sushi, but god Thai food is so perfect.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 22:06
Vietnamese food has this kick that I love.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 22:13
Can't say I've had much Korean or Vietnamese, but I love teriyaki, sushi, sashimi, and practically everything I've had Japanese. I've recently started getting into Thai, and it has a very spicy and wide palate. It may have more variety, I don't know, but my instincts told me Japanese.

Americanized Chinese, however, will always win. :)

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 22:17
f**k eastern food. 

Tongue

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 22:23
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

f**k eastern food. 

Tongue

Yeah, Boston Cream Pie sucks.Ouch

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 22:46
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

f**k eastern food. 

Tongue

Yeah, Boston Cream Pie sucks.Ouch

Chowdah.

And what's up with Carolina BBQ?  Vinegar isn't a proper sauce. Angry Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 27 2011 at 01:52
Oh, its food.  I thought the question related to a...how do you say it?...menage a quatre?

Well, in either case, Japanese.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 27 2011 at 04:37

I've only eaten twice korean, but it was delicious; >>> Frying beef slices upon a convex grill with spiced oil

Thai and Viet foods are much more refined (spice-wise)  and subtle than Japanese , IMHO

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: January 27 2011 at 06:45
Japanese- no question.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: January 27 2011 at 15:55
One word: Pho

best soup of all time!

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 27 2011 at 15:56
Still Italian for me.

-------------

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: January 27 2011 at 16:00

f**k eastern food. 

Tongue

I'm inclined to agree; with the exception of the cousine from the Indian subcontinent, anything east of Iran makes me queasy.

Date Posted: January 27 2011 at 18:59
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Oh, its food.  I thought the question related to a...how do you say it?...menage a quatre?

Now there's an idea.

/giggity

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: January 27 2011 at 19:38
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Prevert! Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: January 31 2011 at 04:01
Oh man, Thai food. I'm a sucker for curries.

Date Posted: May 27 2012 at 15:07
If we can revive the Mexican vs. Italian poll, we can dredge this one up too.

I understand that Thai places are starting to "water down" their cuisine to suit the undeveloped tastebuds of the average American - making everything sweeter and what not.  It looks like Thai in America is going to end up as a slightly more exotic version of Chinese.

And that cheeses me off.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 27 2012 at 15:10
I still need to have Vietnamese food.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: colorofmoney91
Date Posted: May 27 2012 at 15:11
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

One word: Pho

best soup of all time!

Definitely this.

-------------
http://hanashukketsu.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - Hanashukketsu

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: May 27 2012 at 15:26
Japaneese
 (Japan style  - not western style stick's and Sushi)

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 27 2012 at 19:47
Thai then Japanese - though my first experience of Japanese food was in San Jose, CA and found it bland and uninteresting, so much so it put me off trying it again for a good 15 years. It was only through my wife and daughter literally dragging be into one of the  http://www.wagamama.com/" rel="nofollow - Wagamama resturant chains for a bowl of ramen noodles that I realised I was woefully mislead by what I'd eaten in California. (Although Wagamama is very westernised Japanese cuisine - as are most sushi bars I suspect). 

This year I celebrated my birthday in a Thai/Japanese fusion resturant, which for me was pretty much the perfect combination.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: May 27 2012 at 20:30
I'm actually half Thai on my mother's side so I've been having Thai food regularly all my life. I don't have it as much anymore since my mom has kind of lost her Thai touch from living in Canada for many years. I love it though, especially stir fry. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2012 at 09:47
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

If we can revive the Mexican vs. Italian poll, we can dredge this one up too.

I understand that Thai places are starting to "water down" their cuisine to suit the undeveloped tastebuds of the average American - making everything sweeter and what not.  It looks like Thai in America is going to end up as a slightly more exotic version of Chinese.

And that cheeses me off.

Yeah, we have the same problem, most Thai restaurants around here serve "americanized" dishes. 

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: May 28 2012 at 15:11
Funny that almost all of these "cuisines" are derivatives of another cuisine.

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 06:33
I've always thought Korean food kind of sucks, seems I'm not alone. Thai for me.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 16:07
I like them all, though Japanese would usually get my vote. But there are too few votes for Korean, so my vote goes there. I love bulgogi and kim-chi. 

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 17:52
Whenever I eat Korean food, I feel I could've made it myself which is not a compliment. It often seems to be just stuff in a bowl but with less craftsmanship than Chinese or Japanese.

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 18:25
Are you sure you aren't having North Korean instead of South Korean? Tongue

Well, I can't see having a boiling bowl of tofu soup on a plate.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 18:31

South Korean cuisine = stuff in a bowl.

North Korean cuisine = bowl.

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 19:14
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Whenever I eat Korean food, I feel I could've made it myself which is not a compliment. It often seems to be just stuff in a bowl but with less craftsmanship than Chinese or Japanese.

The Korean menu does seem rather soup-intensive, at least at the place I go to.  I'm a bulgoki fan myself - puts fajitas to shame.

And I do enjoy the banchan (sides), including kimchi.  (Figure this out - I don't like sauerkraut but I do like kimchi, despite the fact that they're both pickled cabbage.  Maybe the spiciness makes the difference?)

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 19:25
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

The Korean menu does seem rather soup-intensive, at least at the place I go to.  I'm a bulgoki fan myself - puts fajitas to shame.

And I do enjoy the banchan (sides), including kimchi.  (Figure this out - I don't like sauerkraut but I do like kimchi, despite the fact that they're both pickled cabbage.  Maybe the spiciness makes the difference?)

You're kidding, same thing here with me, I think it's the spiciness.  Korean restaurants aren't all exclusively soup though.  We actually have one where they have Mexican staff bring out real chunks of charcoal wood to the table grills.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2012 at 21:30
Recently went to a Brazilian restaurant for the first time btw, awesome.

Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 18:32
Just wanted to mention that I went to Atlanta a month or two ago (business trip - Siebel Tools class), and introduced my coworker and fellow traveler to the wonders of Viet food, at Com Dunwoody.  He was suitably impressed.

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 18:38
Definitely Vietnamese of the 3 I've had, but I've not tried Korean I don't think...

-------------

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 21:42

Thai food for me, with Vietnamese in second. Strangely enough, even though I've been to Vietnam twice, the best Vietnamese restaurant I've ever been to was in China (where I lived for 5 years; plus my wife is Chinese, so I still eat Chinese food on a nearly daily basis :-). On the other hand, Thai food in Thailand beats the Thai food one gets in the US; there's so much more variety, and everything is very fresh. I like Korean food, although it can't hold a candle to those two. Japanese food is excellent, but I don't have nearly enough experience with it as I do with the other 3. (Korean restaurants are very popular in China.)

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 22:13
I was lucky enough to have a Vietnamese friend growing up, as well as an Indian one.  I've never tasted food in a restaurant that was quite as special as the homemade dishes my friend's Moms and Aunts cooked up in their respective homes.  I was pretty spoiled from a young age eating real Vietnamese.

It was also great learning about their cultures, though both boys were very eager to ditch their home ways, much more interested in Americanizing.....I liked hanging out at their house, they wanted to go to my house or fast food placesLOL

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 22:45
I struggle with Sushi in USA. They love to throw in the " mock" crab all the time which is synthetic in taste. I need to find the right susi provider :-). Love sashimi too!

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 23:33
All of them.

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 23:43
Thai for me.  Chicken satay and yellow curry with fried banana and coconut ice cream for afters...mmm!

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: FusionKing
Date Posted: July 10 2013 at 17:31
JAPANESE!!! ALL THE WAY MAN!

Eating big globs of wasabi on its own for dares does this though...
Ermm...Stern Smile...Exclamation...Confused...Wacko...Sick...Stern Smile...Nuke...Dead...Stern Smile...Question...Stern Smile...Nuke...Stern Smile...Stern Smile...Stern Smile...Stern Smile......Beer......Approve
In that order, exactly in that order...

-------------
"Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself" - Sartre

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 10 2013 at 21:59
I'm a huge fan of thai especially pad thai chicken

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk