Print Page | Close Window

Do you put gravy in your yorkshire puddings?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: General Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75771
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 13:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Do you put gravy in your yorkshire puddings?
Posted By: The Pessimist
Subject: Do you put gravy in your yorkshire puddings?
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:32
I do, all the time. No-one ever seems to talk about this, but it seems everyone I've asked does it

By the way, I didn't put a "No, I don't like Yorkshire Puddings", because if you don't like yorkshires then you are sick and twisted. Unless you are allergic. Another thing: I know I sound ignorant, but are they just a British thing? Surely not???

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Replies:
Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:34
I have no yorkshire pudding. :(((((

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:36
I seem to remember having Yorkshire pudding once.  If I recall correctly it was at a British Tavern, so maybe it is just a British thing. 

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I seem to remember having Yorkshire pudding once.  If I recall correctly it was at a British Tavern, so maybe it is just a British thing. 

Well Yorkshire is famously in Britain so I guess so.

My answer to the question is a definite yes.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:42
I dip it :P

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:42
Yorkshire pudding is definitely (mostly) confined to Britain.  I've never had it.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:46
Never had it, but yes to gravy.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:59
All you guys overseas are missing out SOOOOOOOOO much

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 11:25
I put Yorkies in my gravy.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 11:28
You simply have to put gravy in your Yorkshire's - not to do so must be against common law, surely?LOL

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 13:42
If you are from Yorkshire, which my paternal grandparents were, then the thought of serving Yorkshire pudding with a Sunday roast was a bit of an anathema - traditionally they would be served on their own in a puddle of gravy.

However they are proper bloody handsome as a sweet pudding with sugar or jam (US: jelly).

Making them appears at first sight to be easy, but it is an art, with a special "trick" to make them come out right. The batter is essentially a thin pancake batter - flour, egg and water+milk (50:50 or more milk than water if you prefer) whizzed up with a whisk and left to stand for at least 30 minutes before cooking. They are cooked for 15 minutes in a hot oven, (and here comes the trick), but first the pan they are cooked in (a shallow bun tin like those used to make jam tarts) has to be primed with lard or dripping and placed on a hotplate so it just starts to smoke, then a table spoonful of the batter (and maybe a half spoonful more if necessary) is added to each hollow so that it starts to bubble and "frill" around the edge. Once filled, the tin is placed in the oven and left to cook. Like cooking soufflés It is important that door is not slammed or opened during cooking or they will flop. Properly cooked they should be between 3 and 4 inches high and hollow in the middle (to take the gravy).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 13:48
...another variant is Toad In The Hole - basically Yorkshire pudding cooked with sausages, I'll let the posh dumpling explain that one so you can watch her molest some sausages:

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 13:49
^ But in the old Yorkshire way it was a much thicker pudding, more of a cake. As you say, eaten with gravy pre meal ton fill hungry farmers before t'meat.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 13:57
By 'eck - they don't teach 'em like that in school these daysLOL

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 14:01
If they're accompanying a proper Sunday roast then of course I ladle the gravy over t'Yorkshire pudding - I may have lived down south for a while but I haven't gone native yet!

If you haven't tried it, though, Yorkshires also make a nice dessert in much the same way that pancakes can be savoury; try them with jam, lemon and sugar or pretty much anything that you'd have with a sweet pancake.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 14:56
Not all of us overseas are missing out - my mom has made it for as long as I can remember, and I always put gravy on it. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 15:17
Yes Gravy in me puddin'  I think traditional yorkshire is a big one in a tin rather than the little round ones Dean pictures.  But I prefer the little dainty ones then you can put sugar and butter in the leftovers! yum.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 15:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...another variant is Toad In The Hole - basically Yorkshire pudding cooked with sausages, I'll let the posh dumpling explain that one so you can watch her molest some sausages:

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want to marry this woman

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 15:43
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Yes Gravy in me puddin'  I think traditional yorkshire is a big one in a tin rather than the little round ones Dean pictures.  But I prefer the little dainty ones then you can put sugar and butter in the leftovers! yum.
Yes, that's true - the traditional pud that was eaten on its own was as big as the plate.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 15:45
Well it looks damn awesome.  I'll have to try making it one of these days.

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 15:47
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want to marry this woman
Well, I don't know what she sees in multi-millionaire Charles Saatchi Confused

-------------
What?

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 15:52
Why dosn't this exist in America? i really want to have the chance to form an opinion about this gravy issue!
yumm

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 16:42
Yes, definitely with gravy. A must with roast beef. It's a British tradition!

Good as afters too, with sugar, or honey, or golden syrup.

Maybe the closest thing in the US are biscuits?? Only in the sense they are a cake type thing, served savory with gravy. Are biscuits eaten as desert too?

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 16:47
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Maybe the closest thing in the US are biscuits?? Only in the sense they are a cake type thing, served savory with gravy. Are biscuits eaten as desert too?

Oh definitely.  A nice fresh biscuit with butter and jam is heavenly.

Biscuits here are best described as "flaky" - not sure how that compares with Yorkshire pud.

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 17:00
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Biscuits here are best described as "flaky" - not sure how that compares with Yorkshire pud.

I've got a recipe for biscuits somewhere which I need to try one day. They do sound good. Yorkshire puds are quite firm, I guess, although the base stays relatively soft. They're basically like pancake batter baked in the oven.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 17:02

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Yes, that's true - the traditional pud that was eaten on its own was as big as the plate.

That's how mom makes it.  I think we got the recipe from my grandparents on my dad's side, my grandpa was stationed in England during WW2 and grandma went to live with him for a while.  Probably picked up the recipe then.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 17:14

I've got a recipe for biscuits somewhere which I need to try one day. They do sound good. Yorkshire puds are quite firm, I guess, although the base stays relatively soft. They're basically like pancake batter baked in the oven.
Have you noticed that Yorkshires with sugar taste like doughnuts? Or is it just me?

Then French toast covered in cinnamon sugar tastes just like doughnuts too. I think it's the cooking oil+sugar combination that does it.

/edit: Eric (EDub) mentioned Biscuits and Gravy a few years back _ I searched out a recipe, but the constituents of the gravy looked decidedly dodgy to me and I haven't attempted it yet.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 17:25

/edit: Eric (EDub) mentioned Biscuits and Gravy a few years back _ I searched out a recipe, but the constituents of the gravy looked decidedly dodgy to me and I haven't attempted it yet.

If I were only allowed to have biscuits and gravy for breakfast for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be terribly sad.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 19:02
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

If I were only allowed to have biscuits and gravy for breakfast for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be terribly sad.

The only thing I'd really miss is bacon.

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 08 2011 at 19:12
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Not all of us overseas are missing out 

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 03:57

Yes, definitely with gravy. A must with roast beef. It's a British tradition! Good as afters too, with sugar, or honey, or golden syrup. Maybe the closest thing in the US are biscuits?? Only in the sense they are a cake type thing, served savory with gravy. Are biscuits eaten as desert too?

Have you noticed that Yorkshires with sugar taste like doughnuts? Or is it just me?

Then French toast covered in cinnamon sugar tastes just like doughnuts too. I think it's the cooking oil+sugar combination that does it.

Yorkshires and sugar, certainly. I think it is that lovely combination of oil and sugar!

-------------

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 08:29
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Yes they are delicious.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 08:32

That resembles vomit. Obviously gravy means something else in the States too.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 08:42
It's basically milk and flour with chunks of pork sausage. It's absolutely divine.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 08:56
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

It's basically milk and flour with chunks of pork sausage. It's absolutely divine.

Sick

Nope...that ain't gravy as we know it.

-------------

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 09:19
In the US there are a few different varieties of gravy not just the milk+flour+sausage one but thats the one that I think is most popular with buiscuits. And it is super tasty!!!

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 10:14
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Sick

As I said "dodgy".... decidedly so.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:01

Sick

I just read a recipe. It appears that we also use the gravy as you call it, gravy which is basically beef stock. We use that very extensively also. I can't imagine putting it on what appears to be a pancake/donut type object. Sounds disgusting.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:02

Sick

I just read a recipe. It appears that we also use the gravy as you call it, gravy which is basically beef stock. We use that very extensively also. I can't imagine putting it on what appears to be a pancake/donut type object. Sounds disgusting.

Well it's not sweet!

I don't usually use stock in my gravies. Just the juices of the roasted beef, lamb, chicken, turkey or pork (which usually has some roast vegetables in it too) with some flour and water, usually the potato water and other vegetable waters.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:13

Sick

Well it's not sweet!

I don't usually use stock in my gravies. Just the juices of the roasted beef, lamb, chicken, turkey or pork (which usually has some roast vegetables in it too) with some flour and water, usually the potato water and other vegetable waters.

I'll have to try it one day. I'm having trouble imagining the taste. It was never suggested to me by anyone while I was in your country.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:15

Sick

Well it's not sweet!

I'll have to try it one day. I'm having trouble imagining the taste. It was never suggested to me by anyone while I was in your country.

If it is done well, it is sooo good. When you run out of food you may even want to mop up the gravy with bread.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:16

Sick

Well it's not sweet!

You're essentially using a vegetable stock in your gravy if you do that.  How much fat gets rendered out from cooking a roast determines how much extra liquid one needs in making the gravy, it can be water, stock, etc.  When making gravy for Thanksgiving, for example, my wife will add some chicken stock if there's a surfeit of liquid.

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:31
http://herexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/thanksgiving-mashed-potatoes-with-gravy.jpg

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:38
What the hell are yorkshire puddings... 

I hate gravy though. It ruins mashed potatoes... Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:42
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

What the hell are yorkshire puddings... 

I hate gravy though. It ruins mashed potatoes... Tongue

Mashed potatoes already ruined the potato.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:03
What about french fries Pat? Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:14

Mash potatoes are one of my favourite veg, yet I'll turn my nose up in disdain at any other puréed vegetable as being pretentious baby food.

As for gravy - can't be bothered with arseing about "deglazing" the roasting pan to make gravy - gravy is made in a huge chemical plant by Premier Foods and it's called Bisto - four spoonfuls, ½pt boiling water, stir. Job done.

-------------
What?

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:22

In not liking Mash lies madness and not liking gravy on mash is insane.  Sausage Mash Gravy is the food of Gods, . 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:22
Mashed potatoes but not butter in them please.. I hate butter. Mom does some great mashed potatoes with no butter or cream... Oh delicious.... 

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:25

Mash potatoes are one of my favourite veg, yet I'll turn my nose up in disdain at any other puréed vegetable as being pretentious baby food.

As for gravy - can't be bothered with arseing about "deglazing" the roasting pan to make gravy - gravy is made in a huge chemical plant by Premier Foods and it's called Bisto - four spoonfuls, ½pt boiling water, stir. Job done.

You sir are a barbarian!

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:27
For the very, very few times I even have gravy I'll be damned if I'm getting it from a jar.

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:33

You sir are a barbarian!
Yeah, I was booked to sack Rome, but the flight was delayed and then cancelled at the last minute - making gravy with freeze-dried granuals was a poor substitute and not really the same. Unhappy

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:35

You sir are a barbarian!
Yeah, I was booked to sack Rome, but the flight was delayed and then cancelled at the last minute - making gravy with freeze-dried granuals was a poor substitute and not really the same. Unhappy

Do you make instant mash too?Wink

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:39

You sir are a barbarian!

Do you make instant mash too?Wink

I may be a barbarian, but I'm not a philistine Stern Smile

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:48
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

What about french fries Pat? Tongue

I enjoy every other form that potatoes take. I usually have 2-3 potato dishes with dinner. Actually, I enjoy mashed potatoes but much less than I do other potatoes.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 12:55

This was me before 11 years of living together and marriage.

My wife saved me, and I haven't touched the stuff sinceBig smile

-------------

Posted By: topographicbroadways
Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 14:07
At my local pub they serve giant yorkshires with roast beef and gravy inside, now thats how you eat the perfect yorkshire pudding.

and i'm surprised that America doesn't have an equivalent\alternative to Yorkshire puddings as it does for most of the things Britain eats

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 14:54
I have never tasted the Yorkshire pudding but it looks tempting

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 04:37

I agree. Bisto gravy is fine, and doesn't require faffing.

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 05:00
"A Yorkshire pudding isn't a Yorkshire pudding if it is less than four inches tall"   -- Che Guevara 

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 05:02
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

and i'm surprised that America doesn't have an equivalent\alternative to Yorkshire puddings as it does for most of the things Britain eats

so am I .. here's the thing; when I was a kid we made this in school (4th/5th grade or so) around the holidays, but it was called "German pancakes" .. yeah I don't know either, that's what happens when you live in a multi-national society I guess, but it was delicious !

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 05:06

I agree. Bisto gravy is fine, and doesn't require faffing.
Bisto, the phrase "Ah, Bisto" and the Bisto kids are ingrained in the national psyche - even then I was surprised to read that it's now over 100 years old.

At the time of the acquisition, a Premier Foods director was quoted as saying, "When we acquired RHM, I don't think any of us realised that that old warhorse, Bisto, was part of the mix. To us, it's just gravy."

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 05:10
I've tried making flavorful gravy from scratch and it's much harder than it seems, it's some magical blend of fat, protein and starch that eludes me, and I'm a pretty good cook

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 05:11
Do you put gravy on your black puddings?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 05:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Do you put gravy on your black puddings?

NO!!!!!Dead

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 05:25
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I've tried making flavorful gravy from scratch and it's much harder than it seems, it's some magical blend of fat, protein and starch that eludes me, and I'm a pretty good cook

When roasting you meat, bung some carrot, onion, maybe some celery, and anything else at hand that you think might suit.
When the meat is done remove it and mash the veg, hopefully you have a lot of caramelised stuff in there. Add a tablespoon of flour and mix. Add water or stock and stir for 5 mins and it thickens. Salt and pepper to taste and then seive it to remiove the mashed veg.

Should be delicious.

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 05:38
thanks, I've never bunged the vegetables, that must be the secret

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 06:29

Is that a term that we have another word for or just a typo?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 07:17

Not everyone does this, and I never used too, but the onion at least is good for colour and flavour.

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 07:17
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Is that a term that we have another word for or just a typo?

bung = chuck or put.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 09:43

Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

so am I .. here's the thing; when I was a kid we made this in school (4th/5th grade or so) around the holidays, but it was called "German pancakes" .. yeah I don't know either, that's what happens when you live in a multi-national society I guess, but it was delicious !

I've had German pancakes at iHoP.

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 18:49
no no, you fool, not German pancakes, German pancakes

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk