Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75938
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 08:29
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What is XTC best album?
Posted By: desistindo
Subject: What is XTC best album?
Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 19:25
I want to know XTC, but ive just listen a few single, does they got any entire good album?

Replies:
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 19:27
Oh dear God, where to start?  Start where I did: English Settlement, unless you don't like acoustic.

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 19:32
Skylarking is extremely awesome, especially the song "Dear God".

-------------
http://blindpoetrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 19:35
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Are you on grass or something? Tongue

English Settlement was a big stylistic departure I think.  Skylarking was a major refinement of their songwriting.  And in the end Partridge and Moulding were really about writing good songs.  If you dial it back Crowded Room from Go 2 is one of those infectious songs I have a really hard time not repeating. Big smile

Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 19:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

English Settlement was a big stylistic departure I think.  Skylarking was a major refinement of their songwriting.  And in the end Partridge an Moulding were really about writing good songs.

Don't act like my statements weren't true Slartibreakfast. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 19:44

English Settlement was a big stylistic departure I think.  Skylarking was a major refinement of their songwriting.  And in the end Partridge an Moulding were really about writing good songs.

Oh well that settles it.  I'm not going to have no thugs like you in my house.  I think I made that clear.

Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 19:50

Oh well that settles it.  I'm not going to have no thugs like you in my house.  I think I made that clear.

Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 19:53

Ouch

Little Graham?  I thought you were going to be a good boy.

Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 20:02

Ouch

I don't know what you're talking about. Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2011 at 20:08
You'll need an English Settlement.
this might clear it up:

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 02:52

Ah, one of my favourite bands ever!

It's very difficult to choose, but I have an especially weak spot for Nonsuch. Many would probably disagree, some probably quite violently, but I detect an over-abundance of beautiful melodies here that took me absolutely ages to 'get'. But once they stuck in my head I've never been able to shake them.
Wonderful stuff.

Does anybody actually get how funny Andy Partridge can be at times?

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 04:06
Does XTC under the guise of The Dukes Of The Stratosphear count; really got into the two albums recently?However, those two records do reinforce my thought that there are echoes of Stackridge on occasions.

Interesting to see Andy Partridge has a few projects on the go, e.g. contributing oh too briefly to the Tim Smith tribute and according to Mike Keneally's blog/newsletter, writing /recording with MK.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 04:46
Any XTC album is top notch, excellent and brilliant. But if you don't like New Wave, leave the first three till later.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 06:55
When I heard about Andy's collaboration with Harold Budd, Through The Hill, I had to get it.  And I pretty much feel the same as Snow about the first three.  I really like them but I had to get hooked on the latter ones first to appreciate them.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 07:11

When I heard about Andy's collaboration with Harold Budd, Through The Hill, I had to get it.  And I pretty much feel the same as Snow about the first three.  I really like them but I had to get hooked on the latter ones first to appreciate them.

For me I was in at the beginning...more or less at any rate. I'd heard their "Science Friction" EP and thought, yeah that's ok. The debut album I wasn't particularly fussed on although some friends loved it. But "Go 2" I found cheap with "Go Plus" so I bought it. I thought it was brilliant. From the jaggedy keyboards to the excellent crafted tunes. I can understand why some may not take to it though.

The next album I bought was the much later "English Settlement"...what can I say? The band had matured so much. Still that excellent writing though.

Can we not have XTC on ProgArchives?

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 07:21
I've not really heard the early stuff much, but anything from Drums and Wires onwards is brilliant. My favourites are Black Sea and English Settlement, Skylarking is also particularly good.

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 07:22

Ouch

LOL Genius

Posted By: Paravion
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 09:03
These days it's English Settlement that gets played the most. Drums and Wires introduced me - and it's brilliant. The debut is probably the one I'd say is their 'best' when asked.   

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 11:59
Whatever Snowy says about the first three being new wave.  'Drums and Wires' is the XTC album for me (Mind you it was the first of their albums I bought).  Not one dud track and I think its their xover album from NW to mor complex stuff. 

Nigel is one of the best singles by anyone ever.  (Not that many bods round here are concerned with singles). CLASS

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 12:11
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Whatever Snowy says about the first three being new wave.  'Drums and Wires' is the XTC album for me (Mind you it was the first of their albums I bought).  Not one dud track and I think its their xover album from NW to mor complex stuff. 

Nigel is one of the best singles by anyone ever.  (Not that many bods round here are concerned with singles). CLASS

Drums and Wires is an excellent album, I agree.

Roads girdle the glooooooobe.....

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 13:04
XTC never made a dud album - every one is a little gem. Pick anything from Drums'n'Wires through to Skylarking and you can't go wrong. The only one I'd avoid to start with is White Music - Andy's affected vocals can be a bit much on that album - he clamed down a lot after that (a bit like Steven Wilson did with Porcupine Tree).

No one's mentioned Big Express yet - a nod to XTC's Swindon heritage - "All You Pretty Girls" is one of the most infectious songs they ever wrote.

The dub versions Andy did are pretty good too (Go Plus and Take Away/The Lure of Salvage).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 14:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

No one's mentioned Big Express yet - a nod to XTC's Swindon heritage - "All You Pretty Girls" is one of the most infectious songs they ever wrote.
Ever since English Settlement, I've been getting their albums as they came out and they are one of those artists whose music can really take me back to era when I first heard it.  The Big Express happened when I was in college before I got my first drafting job and was working a fast food gig.  Funniest line heard on the job between the guy doing the burgers and the gal doing the assembly "My buns are ready for your meat." LOL

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 15:13

English Settlement, Skylarking, The Big Express.  All fine albums.  Dukes, Oranges and Lemons, Nonsuch only a step down from those.

Someone on these forums once posed the question, what if The Beatles hadn't broken up?  What music would they have made?  I think they would have sounded pretty much like XTC.

-------------
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 16:51

Yes, good call Dean. I've been listening to The Big Express quite a lot lately, underrated album. Oranges and Lemons is good as well, "Chalkhills and Children" would definitely be in my XTC Top 10.

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 18:15
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Yes, good call Dean. I've been listening to The Big Express quite a lot lately, underrated album. Oranges and Lemons is good as well, "Chalkhills and Children" would definitely be in my XTC Top 10.
  What about the penis song? Tongue  Yeah Oranges And Lemons reminds me of the time I got laid off from an architectural job that I thought would have lasted longer.  It's actually a couple of years older than the event.  I was a casualty of early '90's recession.  Sorry if I'm rambling on a bit.

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 19:51
^^Absolutely no rambling allowed in the forums LOL I should know.  Please be upstanding...

-------------

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 20:08
Good band! Thumbs Up

Pick anything from Drums'n'Wires through to Skylarking and you can't go wrong.

I like Nonsuch as well, so it's hard to get really disappointed.

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 20:15
Don't stop at Nonesvch.  Keep on going through the Apple Venuses...

By the way if you like The Big Express, list your favorites,  Mine:
Wake Up
This World Over
Reign of Blows
I Remember the Sun
Train Running Low on Soul Coal

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 20:47
Slarti, I love The Big Express.  I still have the round LP, for whatever that's worth and at some time also bought the CD.  As I've said before, the last time I went to demo speakers for my stereo, it was The Big Express I had in hand because it will test the overall sound of any speaker pretty well, and will also test the patience of the salesman. 

Wake Up
All You Pretty Girls
Shake You Donkey Up (it takes a while to like this one)
and yes
I Remeber the Sun
and Train Running Low on Soul Coal

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 20:59

I Remember the Sun

I like the nods to Yes in some of the guitar lines here. Always surprises me.

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 21:23
Okay, I think sometime about a thousand posts ago I said I'd give it up, the prog angle to XTC.  But as always, I just can't help myself. 

So, go listen to a little Jason and the Argonauts or English Roundabout.  If either of those songs had been made by Rush or Yes, people would have bootprints on their tongues, praising the progressiveness of it all.  Listen to those guitars.  Just saying.

Not to mention Wake Up.  Who cares, stay in bed.

Not to mention Skylarking.

Oh wait, really really good pop-rockers, I almost forgot Wink

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 21:27
I guess Skylarking, but only in the Spring/Summer.

It's unfortunate the rest of Nonsuch isn't even close to as good as "Peter Pumpkinhead." That's my favorite XTC song.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 21:48
I like English Settlement and Black Sea.Drums and Wires,Skylarking and Nonsuch are highly recommended too.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 21:51

"I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer"

*shudders*

I've always hated that line. Almost destroys the song entirely LOL

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: February 15 2011 at 23:56
desistendo:

Now that you are completely confused (LOL), listen to the world's absolutely, unquestionably, unarguably hugest, major XTC aficionado: as many have suggested, English Settlement is where you should start.  And you should listen to Mummer diretly after that.  Once you have heard those two, you will be able to appreciate both their earlier albums (including Drums & Wires and Black Sea) and later albums (including Big Express, Oranges & Lemons, and Nonesuch).

And in reference to other comments made, one of the reasons I "left" PA under a "cloud" some time ago is that I was among those who were against the inclusion of Queen (simply for Queen II and parts of NATO) while groups like XTC (clearly prog-related, if not some other category) were passed over.  That XTC is still not on PA is an outrage!

Peace.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 00:56
Nice post maani,I agree that XTC should be here in PA.I recently "discovered' and fell in love with them.I have all of their output but "Mummer",I really need to check that out.

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 01:21

Where were you guys when I brought this up 2800 posts ago?  I gave up, the wall where I beat my head having given in completely, them underpinning 2x4's not being very resilient.  It has been determined that they are a really really good pop band Wink.  Nothing more, nothing less.  What do I know, I wasn't there when brains were handed 'round. 

Eventually, the logic will go cold and all the thinking will get done, and they'll surely be here, in all their really really good poppy sweetness, and at that moment we'll all be kings for a day.

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 05:14
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Nice post maani,I agree that XTC should be here in PA.I recently "discovered' and fell in love with them.I have all of their output but "Mummer",I really need to check that out.
That was one of the albums I was listening to when I went off to college.  Big smile
Deliver Us From The Elements.  Me And The Wind.  Funk Pop a Roll.  Some ambient bonus tracks on the CD...

With all the flak some Crossover additions have been getting these guys are worthy.  They have my endorsement for what it's worth.

I was just thinking about how Dear God had some popular success but the song Dying that comes in after that is really chilling.

"Funk pop a roll beats up my soul
Oozing like napalm from the speakers and grill
Of your radio
Into the mouths of babes
And across the backs of it's willing slaves

Funk pop a roll consumes you whole
Gulping in your opium so copiously from a disco
Everything you eat is waste
But swallowing is easy when it has no taste"

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 06:42

What about the penis song? Tongue 

Surely you mean the baby song?

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 07:05

Wow. I just realised you could be right!Embarrassed

After all these years.....

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 07:28
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I always thought it was a penis song as it is called a pink thing.  I re read the lyrics and parts of it actually could be about a baby.  But why would you be branded a sinner for showing off your baby?  I think andy was pulling a bit of a double entendre on us.  It did come after a song about father and son relations.

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 08:28
OK I played Pink Thing for my wife this morning and asked her to guess what it was about.  After just two or three lines of lyrics she said masturbation. LOL

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 08:53

OK I played Pink Thing for my wife this morning and asked her to guess what it was about.  After just two or three lines of lyrics she said masturbation. LOL

LOL

Posted By: PlumAplomb
Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 14:08
mmm xtc, amazing band, the first hting i ever heard from them was 'senses working overtime' on the alternative radio in long island when i was a kid, 'dear god' played quite a bit too, i remember random videos on mtv and vh1 back in the day too.

..and now i'm gonna listen to em:)

-------------
la la la and a bottle of plum!

and when it lands
will my eyes
be closed or open?

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 16:46

I always thought it was a penis song as it is called a pink thing.  I re read the lyrics and parts of it actually could be about a baby.  But why would you be branded a sinner for showing off your baby?  I think andy was pulling a bit of a double entendre on us.  It did come after a song about father and son relations.

I have read that it's really about a baby but I'm sure it's deliberately written so it can be taken both ways.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 18:08
Originally posted by desistindo desistindo wrote:

I want to know XTC, but ive just listen a few single, does they got any entire good album?

I'm partial to "The Big Express" ... extremelly so!

Oh Well, This World Over ... Oh Well, next one begins ... one of the nicest and prettiest songs I have ever heard!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 18:12
Ah.

11. To what does the song “Pink Thing” refer?

It's about the singer's “John Thomas”. It's also about a baby. Apparently Andy and Mrs Partridge referred to their baby as “The Pink Thing” and the song grew out of that nickname. As it were.

http://chalkhills.org/FAQ.html" rel="nofollow - http://chalkhills.org/FAQ.html

13. What recordings should a new XTC-er buy?

All of them. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 18:17

The next album I bought was the much later "English Settlement"...what can I say? The band had matured so much. Still that excellent writing though.

I started on "The Big Express" and immediately went back and got their next 3 or 4 albums ... and have gotten quite a few since. I have never gotten tired of this band ... it's almost impossible ... it's like you are hearing a new song each time.

Can we not have XTC on ProgArchives?

You are kidding me!  ... STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: boo boo
Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 23:19
XTC are closer to what a prog band should sound like than Dream Theater.

They could be argued for prog related at least, in edition to having songs that could be argued as proggy, Dave Gregory actually lent his guitar work to one of Big Big Train's albums, and Barry Andrews has worked with Fripp (even if what they made together was more post punk than prog). There are still some connections to prog artists that other bands listed as prog related don't have.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs/?chartstyle=LastfmSuicjdeGirls" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 04:47
Just thought, in case someone doesn't know: the 8 (+1) Fuzzy Warbles albums are all worth getting too.
Unbelievable collection of gems and allsorts.

Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 05:35
I've been considering Fuzzy, but haven't made the leap yet.  I was pleasantly surprised to see David Gregory working with BBT.  If you only get one League Of Gentlemen album, go for the live one.  I think for those who don't get Discipline you really need to check out the stuff he did in years between Crimsons.

-------------

Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 05:58
Interesting progression concerning the Fuzzy series: It starts with all sorts of material from XTC and goes more and more in the direction of Andy Partridge solo work, the further you get. A bit like experiencing a biography, in fact quite a lot like a very interesting read.

Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 06:35
I'm really pleased that XTC are so well loved around here. 

I had a chance to se them live but never went. Regretted it ever since, regretted it the very next day actually.

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 06:42
I've always had a soft spot for Black Sea.

Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 06:52
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Played it yesterday. Brilliant.

-------------

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 08:03
nonsuch and oranges and lemons are the only ones i've got, prefer nonsuch

Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 10:48

Played it on the way to work this morning. Going to play The Big Express on the way home.

Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 10:49

Played it on the way to work this morning. Going to play The Big Express on the way home.

I like it when threads inspire you to play things again. I'll Express it too.

-------------

Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 20:20
Hi,

Dean ... this one is for you ...

WAKE UP ...

and then ...

Oh Well, This world's Over ...

If I have to list a top ten albums, this one is in there for me! Who you kidding?

And the next song is about this boad ... and it is so us .... we are like that song in a box of paints ... I don't remember which song that was ... have to look it up now! So much color!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: FunkyM
Date Posted: February 17 2011 at 21:46
From what I've heard, Apple Venus Vol. 1 is easily my fav, but I'll admit that I need to listen to more of their discog. Thumbs Up

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 05:36
Nonsuch and Drums and Wires are probably the albums I like best. XTC are well worth delving into if you haven't already and I recommend my two choices for startersSmile

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 06:14
Can't say there is a bad XTC album but Oranges and Lemons, Skylarking and Black Sea are particularly good.
The only caveat with this band however, is that they represent the ultimate magpie school of creativity i.e. XTC are perhaps guilty of sounding like an amalgam of every record they have ever heard which they can effortlessly and meticulously replicate.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 06:17
^ That's more evident on The Dukes Of Stratosphere albums, but they are openly a homage to 60s Psychedelic Pop/Rock.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 07:11

^ That's more evident on The Dukes Of Stratosphere albums, but they are openly a homage to 60s Psychedelic Pop/Rock.

Check out the Beach Boys tribute on the second Dukes album. Brilliant.

Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 07:15

Check out the Beach Boys tribute on the second Dukes album. Brilliant.
Ah, you mean Pale and Precious. Approve

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 10:15
Indeed I do.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 18:44
Apple Venus for me.  Except for the occasional song, on XTC's earlier albums Andy's voice grated on my nerves.   I really like Apple Venus a lot.  I'm probably in the minority but aren't we all?

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: October 16 2017 at 20:22
All of them, especially them all but if I had to pick a favorite;it would be all of them :)))))

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 01:48
Almost everything that Andy Partridge does musically is superb IMHO.

If I had to choose my top five XTC albums they would be (in no particular order)
Skylarking, English Settlement, Apple Venus, Drums and Wire and Black Sea.

After that there's the excellent Dukes of the Stratosphear albums and
then check out Andy Partridge's Fuzzy Warbles collections 1-8. They are simply superb. Out-takes, works in progress, bonus tracks from other releases and experiments.

There's also his collaboration with Peter Blegvad (Slapp Happy et al) which is very interesting,

Yikes! I just noticed the date of the original post. Goes to show you can't keep a good subject down...

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 05:14
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

If I had to choose my top five XTC albums they would be (in no particular order)
I think I'd have to agree with you there, although maybe Nonsuch might just sneak in above Apple Venus.

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: October 17 2017 at 05:20

Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

I think I'd have to agree with you there, although maybe Nonsuch might just sneak in above Apple Venus.

Nonsuch is excellent too. Especially the Steven Wilson mix. Apple Venus has something that I just can't pin down. I tend to play it more around this time of year. It has an Autumnal feel to it. I especially love the track 'Harvest Festival'.

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Zeptember
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 04:15
Oranges and Lemons

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk