Print Page | Close Window

Sad prog love songs?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76068
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 23:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sad prog love songs?
Posted By: Jinura
Subject: Sad prog love songs?
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 17:12
So, here I am, I'll spare you the long whiny story behind it all, so I'll set my request as it is.

Sad romantic music? Pretty much sums it all up?

Only thing I already have, is 'Misplaced Childhood' by Marillion, which, quite frankly, isn't a lot.

Replies:
Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 17:12
Peter Hammill - Again 

The thread may now end.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 17:16
should be said, unrequited love is the best theme, if possible.

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 17:43
Why? Do you want to cry?

Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 17:52
I want to cry. I seriously want to find that some whiny artist out there is in the same situation as a sad, teenager.

Yeah I do, and yeah, I'm kind of overreacting..

But... That Peter Hamill song wasn't quite off, which album is it from?

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 17:59
In Camera

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Takeshi Kovacs
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 18:41
Whenever I listen to Second Life Syndrome by Riverside, I always think there's something sad underpinning the track, and it always sounds very emotional when he sings "But when that all shattered I felt I'd broken my fall
Couldn't pretend that I felt strong about us anymore
Without that help I finally started to live my own life
And I know I don't need you now"
, it always sounds very sad to me.

Lyrics:

From day to day
From hand to mouth
We're turning around ....

Full lyrics removed by admin

-------------
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/

Posted By: hobocamp
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 18:54
The Chamber of 32 Doors works for me.
It's on The Lamb...
Not a romantic love song but a sad song about the need to feel loved.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 19:03
Originally posted by Jinura Jinura wrote:

should be said, unrequited love is the best theme, if possible.

Damn straight. There are very few things more nauseating and self serving than happy love songs Dead

-------------

Posted By: Takeshi Kovacs
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 19:05

-------------
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/

Posted By: ClassicASV
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 19:35
The Pineapple Thief isn't at the forefront of any major musical breakthroughs, but they do have some good stuff.  And it seems like they must go through 14 breakups per album with the types of songs they write.

In particular, check out:

"We Subside"
"Shoot First"
"Private Paradise"

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 20:33
"It's Hard To Love You" by Helmut Koellen. The song does have a steady beat to it, but is lyrically about a relationship that has gone sour.

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 20:34
Prog is not the best place to look for this. LOL

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 21:26
Espers probably has some stuff that fits the bill

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: February 19 2011 at 23:10
Your Own Special Way - Genesis

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 01:18
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Prog is not the best place to look for this. LOL

LOL

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 02:29
Renaissance's Captive Heart. Also, Closer than Yesterday (though I dislike the arrangements).  And doesn't She Chameleon sort of qualify? Tongue

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 06:44
"Afterglow" by Genesis
"Pibroch (Cap in Hand)" by Jethro Tull

--Both very sad but more mature compositions that don't delve into teen angst.

And then there's "Wish You Were Here" By Pink Floyd, which is not necessarily a love song but it does deal with two people (whether they be friends, lovers or relations) and loss and regret.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 06:46
thought not a real love song,cymbaline from floyd more soundtrack, so sad.......Cry

Posted By: Rasvamakkara
Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 07:21
Since you already know Marillion, try the song Script for a Jester's Tear
Definitely check out Peter Hammill's album Over. The album is about Hammill's divorce and It's one of the most personal (from the songwriter's point of view) sounding albums I've ever heard. The album is criminally underrated if you ask me.
Gentle Giant's Think of me With Kindness puts a lump in my throat pretty much everytime I hear it.
The Tangent's The Full Gamut is also a  very beautiful epic about divorce, but in spite of the theme it doesn't leave me feeling sad in the end.

Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 09:04
I know that prog's not the best place to look for this, but I despise all those 'love songs in pop music'.

Teen angst is probably what I feel, I guess.

Some Blackfield has suited me somewhat, Marillion is good, Peter Hamill is good, those Genesis tracks I've always thought as 'happy or optimistic in the end'.

But listening through the other suggestions at the moment.

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 09:17
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Peter Hammill - Again 

The thread may now end.

Seconded

Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 09:28
Originally posted by Jinura Jinura wrote:

I know that prog's not the best place to look for this, but I despise all those 'love songs in pop music'.

Teen angst is probably what I feel, I guess.

Well, not all pop or non prog for that matter is teen angst. Try Forget Her, a wonderful song:

Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 09:43
Originally posted by MFP MFP wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Peter Hammill - Again 

The thread may now end.

Seconded

Only if one wishes to end the thread due to Peter Hammill's overwrought melodramatics. I wince every time I hear him sing.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: let prog reign
Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 10:30
Try Lost Without a Trace by Wigwam. That song fits exactly what your looking for. Losing Hold and Fairyport (in the same album) also are kind of what you might be looking for. 

-------------
Once upon a time there was some writing on the wall we all ignored, until the time that there was war and feasts of famine at our door

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 15:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Only if one wishes to end the thread due to Peter Hammill's overwrought melodramatics. I wince every time I hear him sing.

May I make a suggestion that the next time you listen to Peter that you make a point of not thinking that he is singing? ... he's just a poet with words ... and comparing him to a purebred/academic/classic singer that does 4ths, 8ths and 16ths and whatever else ... makes me think that one is comparing him to something that he is not ... at all!

It's not about the singing. It's about the expression, and there are not many that are as strong, direct, and honest as Peter is. Roy Harper would be the only other one I can think of at this moment.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: jean-marie
Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 16:28
pink floyd julia dream,

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 16:34
Alan Parson Project - Old and Wise
not particurlarly a love song but a sad one

/:thread

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 16:34
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

May I make a suggestion that the next time you listen to Peter that you make a point of not thinking that he is singing? ... he's just a poet with words ... and comparing him to a purebred/academic/classic singer that does 4ths, 8ths and 16ths and whatever else ... makes me think that one is comparing him to something that he is not ... at all!

It's not about the singing. It's about the expression, and there are not many that are as strong, direct, and honest as Peter is. Roy Harper would be the only other one I can think of at this moment.
Hmmm...so, consider Peter Hammill's singing something other than singing? Bury the obvious in definitions to hide the fact that he is indeed singing? I have heard this argument before. It's the same line used in regards to eating liver: pile onions and ketchup on it and it is much better. No, liver is still liver.

-------------

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 16:40
The Lamia...

-------------
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 16:44
^ agreed

-------------

Posted By: Mushroom Sword
Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 17:30

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 17:54
Peter Gabriel's Home Sweet Home.

Cry

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 23 2011 at 20:09

Hmmm...so, consider Peter Hammill's singing something other than singing? Bury the obvious in definitions to hide the fact that he is indeed singing? I have heard this argument before. It's the same line used in regards to eating liver: pile onions and ketchup on it and it is much better. No, liver is still liver.

Besides, the point wasn't about 4ths or whatever else but about melodramatics, which is purely a function of emoting. I agree with you. I do like Hammill's singing in some songs but I would have liked him a lot more but for that overwrought quality getting in the way. And with that, I am outta here before the attack of the Baldies.  LOL

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 09:23

^Try the VdGG album Still Life Dark Elf, he keeps the histrionic to minimum there (and La Rossa and My Room (Waiting for Wonderland) would fit the OP's description.

Of course, the correct answer is Pain of Slavations Remedy Lane, songs like Fandango, Of Two Beginnings, Chainsling, Undertow and Second Love (maybe even the instrumental Dryad of the Woods) are exactly what is needed.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 15:33
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Besides, the point wasn't about 4ths or whatever else but about melodramatics, which is purely a function of emoting. I agree with you. I do like Hammill's singing in some songs but I would have liked him a lot more but for that overwrought quality getting in the way. And with that, I am outta here before the attack of the Baldies.  LOL

I remember when I first heard "The Silent Corner/Empty Stage" about what 35 years ago? ... I sat there kinda stunned ... I don't think anyone can say that expressing himself so strongly ... means they don't care, or that nothing means anything to them personally. It was then that I realized thedifference between "singing" (in a classical sense) and the way that "singing" has always been used in opera, and any other kind of music for 500 years ... and someone's personal expression.

I thought this ... I have no problem with his expression and how he says it ... and what about singing? ... I immediately said to myself ... so what? ... why are we comparing oranges to apples?

In the end, it was about the "inner truth" ... and for Peter that inner expression is about getting it out in the only way he knows how and can ... and I'm not sure that he is as worried about the singing and the notes under it, as he is with getting his emotions and expressions out.

The same went for Damo Suzuki.

It's not so much about the singing, as it is the expression, and if Peter screams he screams and sometimes I am not sure it matters if it is an A or a C under him ... which makes his voice an instrument on its own -- which was a very big thing in those days in theatre circles all in the 60's and then early 70's.

Peter is, a real 20th century poet and it's too bad that he is only thought of as "progressive", because he is as prolific as any other poet out there, and his expression is not writing or singing ... it's just doing it!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 15:59

I remember when I first heard "The Silent Corner/Empty Stage" about what 35 years ago? ... I sat there kinda stunned ... I don't think anyone can say that expressing himself so strongly ... means they don't care, or that nothing means anything to them personally. It was then that I realized thedifference between "singing" (in a classical sense) and the way that "singing" has always been used in opera, and any other kind of music for 500 years ... and someone's personal expression.

I thought this ... I have no problem with his expression and how he says it ... and what about singing? ... I immediately said to myself ... so what? ... why are we comparing oranges to apples?

In the end, it was about the "inner truth" ... and for Peter that inner expression is about getting it out in the only way he knows how and can ... and I'm not sure that he is as worried about the singing and the notes under it, as he is with getting his emotions and expressions out.

The same went for Damo Suzuki.

It's not so much about the singing, as it is the expression, and if Peter screams he screams and sometimes I am not sure it matters if it is an A or a C under him ... which makes his voice an instrument on its own -- which was a very big thing in those days in theatre circles all in the 60's and then early 70's.

Peter is, a real 20th century poet and it's too bad that he is only thought of as "progressive", because he is as prolific as any other poet out there, and his expression is not writing or singing ... it's just doing it!
Moshkito,

I can appreciate your passion for Hammill's style. Really I do. However, to me it detracts from the medium, which is music. In fact, it's rather sad. I've always enjoyed the musical virtuosity of VdGG, but the singing eventually turned me off from each album I've heard. That hasn't changed for 40 years, and I don't see any sudden revelation on the horizon.

But that's okay, I am sure there are many artists I enjoy that would probably sound like nails dragged across the chalkboard to you. Vive la différence!

-------------

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 17:45
Yeah, Peter Hammill is the obvious choice. Also, I'd say the end of "The Ancient" by Yes would also fit into this category.

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 20:13

I am afraid you still don't get the point or don't want to.  Do you understand the English WORD "OVERWROUGHT"?  It has nothing to do with correctly hitting an A or a C.  For that matter, I don't dig or wasn't justifying operatic singing and that's where that overwrought mode of singing comes from.  It's completely unsuitable in rock, at least the way Hammil does it.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 21:34
"Turn of the Century", by Yes, is such a beautiful sad love song, about the death of the singer's lover. Also, "Hey you" by Pink Floyd, and perhaps a few other songs from "The Wall".

And though I can't understand the lyrics, there's a really sad atmosphere in many Rock Progressivo Italiano songs, mainly Le Orme, and some of Banco del Mutuo Socorsso.

Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 22:20
Time by Allan Parson's Project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvwrSdMY7dQ" rel="nofollow -

Utterly sad.

-------------

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 22:49

'Living in the moonlight' by COLLAGE  /  'Hollow afternoon' by IQ  /  'Many too many' by GENESIS  /  'How can I?' by STEVE HACKETT  /  'Cest la vie' by EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER  /  'Afterwards' by VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR  /  'Keyleigh' by MARILLION, and with more bombast, 'Script for a jester's tear' and 'Jigsaw'.

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: February 24 2011 at 23:19
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Also, "Hey you" by Pink Floyd, and perhaps a few other songs from "The Wall". .
Vera.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 03:05
Duke has a couple of sad songs like Please Don't Ask Me and Alone Tonight. I like'em both.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 04:16
Turn of a century - Yes
Refugees - VDGG (is that a love song? Whatever it's sounds very sad)
Script for a jesters tear - Marillion
From the beginning - ELP
Tears - Rush
Many too many - Genesis
The man with the child in his eyes - Kate Bush

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Palliams
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 06:16
Anathema is a pretty decent place to look for sad prog love songs.

One Last Goodbye from Judgement
Temporary Peace from Fine Day To Exit
A Natural Disaster
Dreaming light from We're here Because We're here
Untouchable Part 2 & Internal Landscapes from Weather Systems
The Lost Song part 2 & Ariel from Distant Satellites

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 14:21
^ Thumbs Up especially Untouchable

Theme For An Imaginary Western - Greenslade

I actually prefer Mountain's version but thought I better pick the proggy oneSmile

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 23:13
Lady Fantasy from Camel too.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 02 2015 at 00:02
Master of Time by Anthony Phillips

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 23:23
Watching and Waiting - The Moody Blues

-------------

Posted By: Terakonin
Date Posted: April 06 2015 at 03:10
No one seems to be exactly sure about the meaning, but Matte Kudasai by King Crimson probably fits this vibe.

-------------
You left a note in your perfect script
Stay as long as you like
I haven't left your bed since

Posted By: aliano
Date Posted: April 06 2015 at 03:48
Peter Hammill - Been Alone so Long

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: April 06 2015 at 04:19
Rush - Tears
Julia - Pavlov's Dog
Late November - Pavlov's Dog
Episode - Pavlov's Dog

Try Pavlov's Dog.

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: April 06 2015 at 05:50
...just a few more thrown in for consideration...generally melancholic in style...

The Last Escape - It Bites
Afterglow - Genesis
Turn of the Century - Yes
Carie - Spock's Beard
Sugar Mice - Marillion
Ocean Gypsy - Renaissance
Oubliette - Lonely Robot

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: April 06 2015 at 05:59
Not really a love song...but incredibly sad...and keeping it with the Alan Parsons theme - can I throw in 'Shadow of a Lonely Man'. Cry

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 06 2015 at 11:21
King Crimson's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiwUxxk-iO0" rel="nofollow - Book of Saturday

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: April 06 2015 at 17:55

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk