Print Page | Close Window

Keith Emerson's opinion on Jurgen Fritz?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76361
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 20:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Keith Emerson's opinion on Jurgen Fritz?
Posted By: Gerinski
Subject: Keith Emerson's opinion on Jurgen Fritz?
Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 14:54
I resort to proggers with more knowhow than me to satisfy this curiosity question.

Does anybody know if Keith Emerson ever gave any opinions on Triumvirat's Jurgen Fritz?

Did he praise him? did he despise him as his copycat? did he just ignore him?

Did Keith ever make any statements about Jurgen? (or about Triumvirat's music for what matters)

Replies:
Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 16:32
I don't know but I am quite interested in this as well. If anyone knows its probably Ivan.Smile

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 18:27
We should take bets.  My money is on Dick Heath.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 20:34
Hi,

My money is that Keith couldn't give a damn ... I imagine that he was probably more blown away by PFM and Banco than otherwise ... after all ... he did release their albums!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 22:24
A very interesting question-i don't know, but am really curious about that. In a recent interview, Emerson was asked who is the keyboard player that he feels is woefully under-rated,  and he mentioned Brian Auger.
            At the other end of things, when Triumvirat were touring the States, Jurgen Fritz was interviewed and asked "that question"-What do you think of all the talk about Triumvirat sounding like ELP, and he responded "Well, i'm flattered. But there are aspects of Triumvirat's sound that are similar to ELP, and aspects that are different."

Date Posted: March 02 2011 at 23:48
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

When Triumvirat were touring the States, Jurgen Fritz was interviewed and asked "that question"-What do you think of all the talk about Triumvirat sounding like ELP, and he responded "Well, i'm flattered. But there are aspects of Triumvirat's sound that are similar to ELP, and aspects that are different."

Which is certainly true.

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: March 03 2011 at 15:35
I think the only similarity between Triumvirat & ELP was the instrumentation. With Lake in the band it gave ELP another dimension. A baladeer to provide some respite from the insanity. If you're going to ask that question you might as well ask what Emerson thought about Rick van der Linden ( I'm pretty sure that they met at least once ). I know that he's not too crazy about Wakeman mentioned something about Wakeman. He mentioned something to that effect in Pictures Of An Exhibitionist. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2011 at 15:51
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I think the only similarity between Triumvirat & ELP was the instrumentation. With Lake in the band it gave ELP another dimension. A baladeer to provide some respite from the insanity. If you're going to ask that question you might as well ask what Emerson thought about Rick van der Linden ( I'm pretty sure that they met at least once ). I know that he's not too crazy about Wakeman mentioned something about Wakeman. He mentioned something to that effect in Pictures Of An Exhibitionist. 
Of course, Triumvirat had it's astounding singer-guitar players, the most important in my mind the late Helmut Koellen, who played in Illusions and Spartacus. I had also always wondered what Greg Lake would have made of Koellen. Through his web-site, i e-mailed Lake directly about just that, and got no response at all. Oh, well

Date Posted: March 03 2011 at 16:10
So we don't know then and Ivan hasn't jumped on this thread yet.

Anyway Keith did rate Rick Wakeman but Ricks 'Keith,who?' comment in the press at the time didn't help matters much and they had a supposed long running feud. According to Wakeman this was massively overhyped by the music press and fueled by their own record companies!

Its well known that Emerson had the greatest respect for Jon Lord and probably still does. I also read that he liked Genesis and Gentle Giant so by extension that he also liked/rated Banks and Minnear.

As for PFM I'm not sure. I think it was Greg Lake who was keen on them. That said ELP did support PFM when they played in their native Italy which shows great respect in itself.

Date Posted: March 03 2011 at 16:58
About PFM, also in my understanding it was Greg Lake who was especially keen on them and brought them to Manticore and Pete Sinfield, not Keith.

I also believe that the duel between Keith and Rick Wakeman was in good measure fuelled by the media, but in any case they were both quite egocentric so their personalities surely helped the dicotomy.

Back to the topic of Keith and Jurgen, I was just thinking that Keith might have appreciated Jurgen as being one of the very few who shared his vision of what prog rock should be like. There are certainly differences between ELP and Triumvirat, of course, but nobody can deny that Jurgen's vision of prog was very similar to Keith's. But then again, Keith being so egocentric it is very possible that he never gave a damn about Jurgen...

I admit that I do not know Rick Van Der Linden's work. Is it worth it? 

Date Posted: March 03 2011 at 19:10
 Regarding his connection with Banco, i read somewhere that Keith actually saw the band at one point in Italy, and of course, they were on Manticore at one point like PFM.

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: March 04 2011 at 19:40
You guys may have missed Keith and Rick on Rick's weekly radio program
about two months ago.

They bantered back and forth for two hours between playing songs.
They're friends and have a recording planned, I believe.  A collaboration of some
sort has been mentioned at Wakeman's website now for a few years.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 17:28
I read somewhere on the Triumvirat.net site that Emerson knows Jurgen Fritz. Still doesn't answer this thread's question, though.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 19:31
You just don't get an amazing Hammond tone like Keith's by fluke...............Fritz is still bloody marvellous. 
It's very curious that most bands are so caught up in their own world, 100% focus on their own work, that they hardly find time to hear a lot of what's out there...........

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: April 25 2013 at 02:01
First of all, I think Triumvirat is a very good band that I got to know when their album Spartacus was first released.

That being said, I find that especially with Illusiions and Spartacus they were not just paying tribute to ELP, to my mind they were pure plagiarists concerning instrumentation, sound, and (to a slightly lesser extent) composition.

I see no reason to beat about the bush here because, you see, I don't mind! The spirit of ELP was going downhill fast with the release of Works Volume 1, and Triumvirat were there to, at least for a short while, fill the void, which was a very good thing to the EPL-starved enthusiast. So good on them.

But I don't see that it does them any good, even in retrospect, to construct some non-existent originality around them, ignoring the facts that are plainly there for all to hear. Even so, Illusions and Spartacus are and always will be brilliant albums.

It's a damn shame that ELP and Triumvirat both lost the plot badly shorty afterwards. Anything following Brain Salad Surgery and Spartacus, although not that bad, couldn't compare to what had gone before.

No offense, Doug

Date Posted: April 25 2013 at 16:15
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

First of all, I think Triumvirat is a very good band that I got to know when their album Spartacus was first released.That being said, I find that especially with Illusiions and Spartacus they were not just paying tribute to ELP, to my mind they were pure plagiarists concerning instrumentation, sound, and (to a slightly lesser extent) composition.I see no reason to beat about the bush here because, you see, I don't mind! The spirit of ELP was going downhill fast with the release of Works Volume 1, and Triumvirat were there to, at least for a short while, fill the void, which was a very good thing to the EPL-starved enthusiast. So good on them.But I don't see that it does them any good, even in retrospect, to construct some non-existent originality around them, ignoring the facts that are plainly there for all to hear. Even so, Illusions and Spartacus are and always will be brilliant albums.It's a damn shame that ELP and Triumvirat both lost the plot badly shorty afterwards. Anything following Brain Salad Surgery and Spartacus, although not that bad, couldn't compare to what had gone before.No offense, Doug

No harm done-interesting to hear your views and perspectives. I pretty well agree that post Spartacus Triumvirat, progressive rock speaking, went steadily downhill, though i have found other aspects that came to the fore in the later albums to be appealing in their own right. There is not much post BSS ELP that i have heard, so can't properly venture a perspective on that.
        I find it interesting how a single band, like Triumvirat or ELP, can create so many views, and combinations of views, in the listening audience. I guess if we all felt the same about it, it would be a pretty boring world out there.

Date Posted: April 26 2013 at 01:41
ELP ceased to be a proper band after 1974 only returning in 1977 because their record company discouraged them from releasing solo albums. They were all individually working on music that used orchestration so the Works project made sense commercially but did untold damage to their reputation imo. Black Moon and the subsequent tour in the 90's was at least a decent swansong ( or could have been if they hadn't got caught up in record company politics once again)

Triumvrat I know less about and only own the first 3 albums. They seem a lot less bombastic than ELP. ELP loved their theatrics (as did their fans) but Triumvirat tried to add something a bit more grounded and 'human' to their music while ELP were caught up in sci fi and grandiose concepts. Musically they have obvious similarites as pointed out but in essence they seem very different,

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: April 26 2013 at 03:30
I've read loads of interviews with Emerson over the years and can't recall him ever mentioning Triumvirat or Jurgen Fritz. The keyboardists he most often talks about are jazz players like Brother Jack McDuff, Dave Brubeck and Oscar Peterson, and on the more rock side of things Brian Auger, Jon Lord and Don Shinn. He did once say the first pianist he ever liked was Russ Conway!

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: April 26 2013 at 05:27
I haven't valued his opinions in the past. He once stated that Randy Bachman was a great guitarist and I have never heard any guitar work with ..THE GUESS WHO or B.T.O. that stands the test of time or hardly compares to the average standard playing Rock guitarist of the 70's. To be such an outstanding pianist..you would think Emerson might mention John McLaughlin or Holdsworth. Here is a musician that likes Scott Joplin and he's telling you that Randy Bachman, the guy who plays guitar on that moronic song "American Woman" is outstanding? I mean..did I miss something? He seemed to dislike Patrick Moraz when Refugee was formed..if memory serves..and if so it's self explanatory why anger/jealousy developed within him when he watched a new Classical pianist performing with x-NICE members. I have not much faith in his opinions.

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: April 26 2013 at 14:21
rock stars live in adifferent world. Hollywod stars live in adifferent world. Same planet different f**king world. I live in a different world from just about everyone on this site.

this is my world :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8124lhm6d7o" rel="nofollow -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8124lhm6d7o

That was me. F-111 was a Rolls

-------------

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: April 26 2013 at 21:42
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

I've read loads of interviews with Emerson over the years and can't recall him ever mentioning Triumvirat or Jurgen Fritz. The keyboardists he most often talks about are jazz players like Brother Jack McDuff, Dave Brubeck and Oscar Peterson, and on the more rock side of things Brian Auger, Jon Lord and Don Shinn. He did once say the first pianist he ever liked was Russ Conway!

There is something really nice about this playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJpCzQC2sG4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJpCzQC2sG4

Russ Conway Plays "Sidesaddle" Live

It's very precise melody and a type of classical framework within a pop-song.

You know, a lot of time people who are focused on bigger issues, may say
something out of the side of their mouth because of something else.  Maybe
Emerson didn't give the Bachman comment much thought because he heard
one song he liked and then didn't have time to research much more of it.   Perhaps
that was the only good rock guitar playing he had heard for a long time even
though it was a simple song.  Emerson didn't seem to like guitarists that much 
as far as instrumentalists.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 02:29

I'm sure he also stated he had a lot of respect for Dudley Moore who was a very fine pianist in his spare time

In rock terms Jon Lord was the one he admired most I think. Lord was probably the most qualified classical styled rock organist.
I believe that Emerson also had respect for Wakeman but didn't talk about him after Rick's 'Keith who?' comment that appeared in a music paper interview. They became friends though years later and were plotting a joint project that sadly has yet to happen.

Date Posted: April 27 2013 at 02:36
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJpCzQC2sG4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJpCzQC2sG4

You know, a lot of time people who are focused on bigger issues, may say
something out of the side of their mouth because of something else.  Maybe
Emerson didn't give the Bachman comment much thought because he heard
one song he liked and then didn't have time to research much more of it.   Perhaps
that was the only good rock guitar playing he had heard for a long time even
though it was a simple song.  Emerson didn't seem to like guitarists that much 
as far as instrumentalists.

He has talked about Jimi Hendrix in interviews. The Nice played some gigs as support in the late sixties and or course there were those 'HELP' rumours that he will always be asked about.
When ELP played Barbarian at The Lyceum he dedicates it to Jimi. Emerson always reckoned that Purple Haze had a touch of the gothic east European classic music style about it.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 17:15

Keith loved those organists, especially Jimmy Smith and McDuff. Keith said, during one of his old interviews for Keyboard, that ELP played one of their huge arena shows, and afterward Keith hoofed it to a small club downtown (I forget which city exactly) to see Jimmy Smith play. Keith being a white guy, he got noticed fairly quickly. After one piece, Smith himself finally looked in his direction and said "You white people really like this music, don't you?" At that point, Keith threw his hand up and yelled "Check, please!" Keith did remark he knew Jimmy didn't know who he was, nor that ELP had just played to 20,000 people.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 09:29
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Rick Wakeman was also a big fan of Russ Conway and did a piece paying tribute to him on a TV programme in the UK a couple of years back. He had quite a flashy, technically adept style so it's probably not surprising budding proggers liked him!

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm sure he also stated he had a lot of respect for Dudley Moore who was a very fine pianist in his spare time

In rock terms Jon Lord was the one he admired most I think. Lord was probably the most qualified classical styled rock organist.

I remember Emerson saying he was really into Dudley Moore, and when you listen to Moore's piano work, Emerson's does sound quite similar.

Rick Wakeman and Jon Lord played together at the Royal Albert Hall in 2011. Keith Emerson was meant to be there too but I think health problems prevented it. Sadly of course we will never now see these three keyboard Titans on stage together.Cry

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 17:32
NiceThumbs Up

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 14:39
Keith Emerson only praises anyone who can be viewed at a distance from him. Then again, given the unfair flak he gets for just being who he is, can he be blamed for that?

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 14:44

I remember Emerson saying he was really into Dudley Moore, and when you listen to Moore's piano work, Emerson's does sound quite similar.

Rick Wakeman and Jon Lord played together at the Royal Albert Hall in 2011. Keith Emerson was meant to be there too but I think health problems prevented it. Sadly of course we will never now see these three keyboard Titans on stage together.Cry

[/QUOTE]
no surprise that Emerson liked Dudley Moore, he was a bit of a swinger himself more than a rocker. Jon Lord's real qualification for being a "Titan" was that he played in a very famous Rock band, not anything he actually did on the keyboards, IMO he was middle order, just a good pro.

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 15:29

The only problem is that Dudley was a trained concert pianist ... which Keith was not ... and he had the degrees from a major college, which Keith did not ... but one could say that Keith became more famous for a month or two, but Dudley will be remembered in the movies for many years ... many years ... and probably more than Keith's career in music ever will!

I like Keith's music ...   A LOT ... but in many ways, it never really went past the "pop machine" that they ended up representing and becoming ... and that (I think) hurt their music ... not that I did not like the fun stuff like the sheriff and what not, but it took away from the rest of the music and its depth and seriousness. To this day, I still believe so!

Not many players spend their time about another player ... in general, that's rude ... they might say they like their music and generally be polite, but there is no need for it ... since so many people do so many different things with the instruments ... it's like asking Keith what he thinks of Vangelis ... useless question and discussion.

Strange Department:
Manticore produced Banco and PFM for American releases, though they did not follow up on Banco ... too good musically and esoteric for American audiences! But PFM did really well here! And they did release several albums though they were not in sync with the Italian versions at the start.

There are quotes by Keith about the one keyboard player who appreciates him more than many of these we discuss ... and it is with Erik Norlander (Rocket Scientists and/or Lana Lane -- his wife), and these quotes are very flattering and appreciative of the work, btw ... and I think these are the best comments I have ever heard/seen Keith give anyone.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 15:52
^PFM were really big in Canada, too, even flying over at a last minute notice to play a high school in my native Ottawa! (And their live album Cook, i believe was recorded in Toronto.)

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 22:58
I saw both of them in concert....Jurgen Fritz had a very similar haircut to Keith's, but I'd say he weighed a good 50 KG heavier!!  

They were both outstanding instrumentalists!  Fritz was a big, strong fella....he manhandled his Mini-Moog on the top of the Hammond Organ as if it were a toy!  

Really, I could care less what Emerson thought of anyone.  He was a fine talent in his own right, but he had many fine competitors.  

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 01:38
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I like Keith's music ...   A LOT ... but in many ways, it never really went past the "pop machine" that they ended up representing and becoming ... and that (I think) hurt their music ... not that I did not like the fun stuff like the sheriff and what not, but it took away from the rest of the music and its depth and seriousness. To this day, I still believe so!

ELP were never 100% prog imo. Genesis (early years) , Yes ,King Crimson and VDGG were much more committed to the genre. It could be argued that in essence ELP were a 'Festival Band'. Their birth happened at the IOW and that was fitting. They loved the big shows and that was their soul as a band. After they did the Montreal Gig I believe they could just have stopped there and then. It would never get any better and it didn't. Love Beach was just about fulfilling their contractural duties and Keith more or less admitted that he was quite depressed making that album. The come down from playing with a full orchestra as they did on the Works Tour was just too big. 

Sorry Doug  if  this is turning into yet another ELP discussion thread!

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 02:01
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Really, I could care less what Emerson thought of anyone.  He was a fine talent in his own right, but he had many fine competitors.  
The most sensible (and fair) comment thus far

Posted By: dsitzes
Date Posted: December 12 2013 at 22:26
In 2001 it appeared that Fritz was going to record a new Triumvirat album  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRHKhx9KK7w" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRHKhx9KK7w  and one day there was a live web conference in which he accepted questions from fans. I asked him if he had ever met Keith Emerson, and he said that he did get to meet Emmo backstage before a televised ELP concert.  Emerson's only comment on meeting Fritz was "Oh, you're that guy from that band." And Emerson went right back to warming up for the ELP performance. So Jurgen did get to meet his idol, but it must have been an ego-deflating experience, no doubt. I also asked how to make a Double Dimple, and I was told "have a glass large enough!" After that, nothing came of the new Triumvirat project, but digitally remastered versions of their classic albums were released, so it was not a total loss. 

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 08:24
^Thanks for posting that-i think the time that Fritz met Emerson was possibly during the "RockPop" TV show aired in Germany in 1978. That was during the concert when ELP played a song with a live tiger onstage. Triumvirat played some songs from their then most recent album, Pompeii.
            Some of these are available on youtube.

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 17:24
Originally posted by dsitzes dsitzes wrote:

In 2001 it appeared that Fritz was going to record a new Triumvirat album  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRHKhx9KK7w" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRHKhx9KK7w  and one day there was a live web conference in which he accepted questions from fans. I asked him if he had ever met Keith Emerson, and he said that he did get to meet Emmo backstage before a televised ELP concert.  Emerson's only comment on meeting Fritz was "Oh, you're that guy from that band." And Emerson went right back to warming up for the ELP performance. So Jurgen did get to meet his idol, but it must have been an ego-deflating experience, no doubt. I also asked how to make a Double Dimple, and I was told "have a glass large enough!" After that, nothing came of the new Triumvirat project, but digitally remastered versions of their classic <span style="line-height: 1.2;">albums were released, so it was not a total loss. </span>

More evidence that sometimes you're better off not meeting your idols. Fortunately, it's easier today to garner feedback on certain personalities than to simply rely on hearsay like in the '80s/'90s and further back.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 18:59
^reminds me of the saying "heroes are hard to find"  His lack of regard and respect for Jurgen is a downer. Makes me wonder if he actually ever heard a Triumvirat record.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 20:23
Now here's an arrogant comment (like comparing chalk and cheese though) - Dave Stewart strikes me as a technically better keyboardist than Emerson. Better sound, better playing - different style, but better in my ears. Heck, I never heard Emerson play like Ratledge (nor Ratledge play like Emerson ).....

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 03:02
Or maybe Emo simply smelled some "competition" in the room.

-------------

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 05:41
Keith Emerson 'arrogant'??! I don't believe it!LOL

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:30
I heard something insightful about this question recently from new PA member "Inceptional".
          He met Keith, and asked him what he thought of Jurgen Fritz, and Emerson had pretty well  nothing but nice things to say about him. He remarked that Fritz was "an exceptionally clean player", for example.

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 07:31

I heard something insightful about this question recently from new PA member "Inceptional".
          He met Keith, and asked him what he thought of Jurgen Fritz, and Emerson had pretty well  nothing but nice things to say about him. He remarked that Fritz was "an exceptionally clean player", for example.
Good to hear that! thanks for posting it Smile

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 08:18
I still find it hard to  believe that Emerson cannot recall collaborating with PH for Empire of Delight track on a Hammill album. There is a youtube clip somewhere of a radio phone in and when asked about the experience of working with PH he looks totally blank (gormeless) saying" did I".....

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 00:22

I heard something insightful about this question recently from new PA member "Inceptional".          He met Keith, and asked him what he thought of Jurgen Fritz, and Emerson had pretty well  nothing but nice things to say about him. He remarked that Fritz was "an exceptionally clean player", for example.

That's cool!

-------------

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 13:59
Very good question. We should also have a thread where we ask what Pink Floyd thought of Eloy or what YES thought of Starcastle. Tongue 

Anyway, I remember hearing somewhere when asked what other keyboard plays Keith Emerson admired he mentioned Jon Lord. I also wonder what he thought of Rod Argent. 

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 14:34
Who cares what Emerson thinks. He lost his right to an opinion after releasing Love Beach.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 09:48
Emerson did heap praise on Jordan Rudess on a recent radio show on Planet Rock radio ( actually he was sitting in for Darren Redick and was helped by his son Damon). Can't remember his exact comments if I'm honest although he was quite pleased with Jordan's work on the Magna Carta tribute version of Tarkus.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Who cares what Emerson thinks. He lost his right to an opinion after releasing Love Beach.
LOL

I know this thread is about his thoughts on Fritz but regarding ELP I have always wondered why they felt it necessary to put  silly short 'comedic songs' on their albums which for me ruined the flow of the longer nice pieces they did.
Unhappy

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 12:31
I would imagine Keith took the high road and didn't comply with any questions suggesting a comparison. Then again, what do I know?

Posted By: ProgFather
Date Posted: September 06 2014 at 18:00
Bumped into this forum/ thread whilst surfing around looking for info on Helmut Kollen's LP. The discussion interested me enough to read the entire thread and thought I would leave a post with a little input IMHO.

Having purchased the Triumrivat LPs in the decade of their release, at that time I was disposed to believe (along with the majority of my prog-rock peers)  that the group was an "ELP clone".

I know now that was an unfair snap judgement based on my knee-jerk reaction mostly to Fritz being deft enough to hone his B3 sound close to Keith's and cleverly adopting (likely out of admiration) some of his technique.

Strangely enough even though we scorned them, I would keep purchasing the new LP releases, at least to Ala Carte anyway where I finally abandoned them for leaving their prog-roots. But those first 3 albums are certainly products of genius, especially "Double Dimple" -- which displays the influences of many bands on Fritz's compositions.

Does anyone besides me think they heard a little Beatles influence in IOADD?

Date Posted: September 06 2014 at 21:20
^Greetings, ProgFather, and welcome to PA and our forums!
                      Your post is interesting. Yes, I would say that there is a bit of a Beatle's vibe in IOADD. Never heard such a view articulated by anybody until by you now, though.
                     I know that some of the Triumvirat members were big Beatles fans, like Helmut Koellen and Barry Palmer, for example. The two of them used to like talking about the Beatles while having some beer.

Posted By: jhelm_waterw
Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:11
Having first been turned onto Emo, I can't really explain why I never harbored my predictable disdain for others that followed a similar sonic path (like Jurgen Fritz). (I normally despise "copycats") But... there was something about the songwriting of Fritz and Triumverat that was quite different from ELP and truly melodically appealing. They were decidedly less complex than some of the bombastic ELP offerings. But some of the Triumverat songs were just flat out great. I somehow managed to get past the superficial instrumentation/sonic similarities. 

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LOL

I know this thread is about his thoughts on Fritz but regarding ELP I have always wondered why they felt it necessary to put  silly short 'comedic songs' on their albums which for me ruined the flow of the longer nice pieces they did.
Unhappy
Comic relief. Like eating crackers between wine tastings, cleanses the pallet for the next round. Understandably not everyone gets it.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:40
Originally posted by jhelm_waterw jhelm_waterw wrote:

(I normally despise "copycats") But... there was something about the songwriting of Fritz and Triumverat that was quite different from ELP and truly melodically appealing. They were decidedly less complex than some of the bombastic ELP offerings. But some of the Triumverat songs were just flat out great.
I agree 100%. While there will always be comparisons made between these two groups T-Rat had unique song writing that was original and powerful. It was more a sonic similarity than a song writing one IMO.

As a side note, I remember first hearing Mediterranean Tales being played in a record store i used to frequent as a teen. I went up to the register and asked the guy who it was. He showed me the album and I said I'd like to buy it. It was considered an import and cost me around $18 if I recall. I gave him my money (lots of small bills and he put the album in a bag an off home I went. When I pulled the album out of the bag there was all my money sitting in the bag. I think he must have been a little buzzed and forgot to put the money in the register. Being a kid I thought I'd hit the jackpot. Great prog album at no cost. I bought all of there subsequent albums whenever one was found.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 01:54
Originally posted by jhelm_waterw jhelm_waterw wrote:

Having first been turned onto Emo, I can't really explain why I never harbored my predictable disdain for others that followed a similar sonic path (like Jurgen Fritz). (I normally despise "copycats") But... there was something about the songwriting of Fritz and Triumverat that was quite different from ELP and truly melodically appealing. They were decidedly less complex than some of the bombastic ELP offerings. But some of the Triumverat songs were just flat out great. I somehow managed to get past the superficial instrumentation/sonic similarities. 

I would like to address this as an ELP fan because its very difficult to compare the two based on their musical output. Only Illusions is really ELP like and Triumvirat to their credit pulled off a 2 track LP and that is something that ELP never did. As a pure expression of symphonic prog there is probably nothing better unless you go searching all those RPI releases , and there are a great many! However other Triumvirat albums are not very ELP like at all. Spartacus was always a toughie for me because I find it a bit 'wimpie' mainly because of Barry Palmer's vocals and the subject matter. I struggle a little with that although the instrumental bits are impressive. The first Triumvirat album is very much proto prog and should be considered more like Emerson's former band The Nice. After Spartacus there is a law of diminishing returns as even Doug would probably admit.
The problem with ELP is that their best tracks are scattered across several albums. They were never focused enough to produce an album like Illusions On A Double Dimple possibly because of the clashing egos within the band. Much of the bombast was 3 massive talents vying for space in the music. Triumvirat were perhaps able to avoid this pitfall and Illusions is less overbearing and more smoother and flows better than anything ELP ever did (including Tarkus). But history tells us ELP were more important and actually I think that is right. They made a mark and the blazed a trail for others like Triumvirat and Le Orme to follow.

Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 09:26
^What Richard said, and I like Spartacus and Old Loves Die Hard the best of T'rat's discography, and I concur that they sound unlike anything ELP would have recorded, especially the title track of Spartacus. Atmosphere wasn't a quality that ELP as a whole seemed to specialize in, though there's plenty of it in their solo output.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 09:45
^Yes, interesting post, Richard, and some important insights on your part. As pretty well every band has influences, T'rat, of course did, but as you've pointed out, they do things ELP don't do, and vica versa. To me, Triumvirat sound like Triumvirat. btw, Helmut Koellen is the vocalist on Spartacus, not Barry Palmer.

Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 01:17

^Yes, interesting post, Richard, and some important insights on your part. As pretty well every band has influences, T'rat, of course did, but as you've pointed out, they do things ELP don't do, and vica versa. To me, Triumvirat sound like Triumvirat. btw, Helmut Koellen is the vocalist on Spartacus, not Barry Palmer.

Thanks Doug for clarifying. I think the vocals are perhaps the single most distinctive difference between the bands.Lake has one of the voices that can make anything sound important. A lot of symph bands fall down on this although I'm not saying that's the case with Triumvirat , more my individual taste (I like a good baritone in prog!)

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 04:10
H'm  Triumvirat - another band who's CD's I have in my collection - Spartacus, and Illusions on a.....I don't think either of these hit me on the first spin - and I think that I may not have even spun Illusions at all!!!
Crap - I've got shedloads to listen to - but I always feel like playing with an old-friend....what a Dial-Emma !!!

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 15:44
As an aside, I think Jürgen Fritz deserves the same bashing for anything from Pompeii upwards as Emerson gets for Love Beach, although personally I enjoy LB, whereas I cannot think of anything good to say about A La Carte and Russian Roulette. Very apt title, by the way if you imagine all six chambers to be loaded in this case.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 16:47

Spartacus was always a toughie for me because I find it a bit 'wimpie' mainly because of Barry Palmer's vocals and the subject matter. I struggle a little with that although the instrumental bits are impressive

Hey Richardh, the first Triumvirat recording with Barry Palmer was a B side for The Capital of Instant Power called "Take a Break Today", it was recorded in 1976 after Helmut left to boost Spartacus with a Pop single, but I'm 99.999 sure Barry didn't recorded a note in Spartacus.

On the subject, I asked a member of a big 5 band after a press conference about Jurgen Fritz, he told me in PRIVATE (He didn't wanted to mess with Keith fans) LITERALLY this:

"Keith has the strength  and a wonderful insanity, Jürgen has a perfect technique and the most wonderful arrangements I ever heard."

I told him I liked IOADD and Spartacus more than any ELP album except Trilogy, he told me exactly the same thing but with ELP's debut instead of Trilogy.

Sorry I can't mention the name, but I gave my word.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 17:42

As an aside, I think Jürgen Fritz deserves the same bashing for anything from Pompeii upwards as Emerson gets for Love Beach, although personally I enjoy LB, whereas I cannot think of anything good to say about A La Carte and Russian Roulette. Very apt title, by the way if you imagine all six chambers to be loaded in this case.

Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 18:33

Old Loves Die Hard is as far as anyone needs to ride the T'rat train, but that's just my humble opinion. Pompeii isn't bad, it's just forgettable compared to what came before it.

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 18:37
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

On the subject, I asked a member of a big 5 band after a press conference about Jurgen Fritz, he told me in PRIVATE (He didn't wanted to mess with Keith fans) LITERALLY this:

"Keith has the strength  and a wonderful insanity, Jürgen has a perfect technique and the most wonderful arrangements I ever heard."

I told him I liked IOADD and Spartacus more than any ELP album except Trilogy, he told me exactly the same thing but with ELP's debut instead of Trilogy.

Iván

No doubt we'd all be surprised and delighted by feedback like the kind Mystery Man disclosed. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 18:56
I've grown fond of Pompeii, I liked it when I first heard it, then it kind of fell out of favour with me, but now I find it an intriguing listening experience. Vocally, and instrumentally, it is a strong album.
             A La Carte and Russian Roulette sound like a completely different band, I admit. If you don't follow the knee jerk response of judging the records purely by comparison to previous T'rat records, they aren't really that bad.
           A La Carte is a nice pop rock effort, and Russian Roulette is more modern sounding. I came to really "know" the music on those two records by hearing the live T'rat bootleg "Live in Germany 1980", where music from both are played live with more gusto and drive, quite impressive, really. 

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 18:56
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^What Richard said, and I like Spartacus and Old Loves Die Hard the best of T'rat's discography, and I concur that they sound unlike anything ELP would have recorded, especially the title track of Spartacus. Atmosphere wasn't a quality that ELP as a whole seemed to specialize in, though there's plenty of it in their solo output.

Indeed, and I like Old Loves Die Hard too, but Pompeii was the first Triumvirat album I got to know, and thanks to great songs found there this band's name got stuck in my mind since more than two three decades ago, I remember being very inpressed at the very first listening. Had to wait till some years ago to finally have a really gratifying pleasure of listening again to Pompeii and (of course) knowing its predecessors. So, at least two or three tracks off Pompeii that I recall which are among my Triumvirat favourite pieces, regardless of their sentimental value and influence:

Earthquake 62 A.D.: I still enjoy it quite a bit, besides an interesting atmosphere it has also touching melodies and lyrics;
Dance on the Volcano: love this song!, and a stunning crescendo it has, besides the strong melody again (one of my favourite T'rat's trademarks, particularly those from Jürgen Fritz keyboards!);
Vesuvius 79 A.D.: very much in the Earthquake 62 A.D.'s amosphere, great track too.

Pompeii is indeed worth having for me, and its predecessor has also some really great tracks worth mentioning:
The History of Mystery - Part One: besides that stunning piano intro, everytime I finish listening to this track the catchy instrument melodies keep flowing in my head for a while Wink;
A Day In A Life: What a stunningly good piano work, heartfelt melodies so elegantly performed, sheer beauty;
Panic On 5th Avenue: although at its starting minute reminds me a bit of ELP's mood and sounds, throughout the whole song it brilliantly manages to grab me again with that unique Triumvirat atmosphere that I love,  besides being hooking frenzy as well, great track!

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 19:04
^hey, Ric, right on! Your comments are insightful, too, and resonate with me a lot, really.

Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 19:22
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Panic On 5th Avenue: although at its starting minute reminds me a bit of ELP's mood and sounds, throughout the whole song it brilliantly manages to grab me again with that unique Triumvirat atmosphere that I love,  besides being hooking frenzy as well, great track!

Best track on Old Loves!

-------------

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 19:27

^hey, Ric, right on! Your comments are insightful, too, and resonate with me a lot, really.

Thanks Doug! When I listened to Pompeii first it was more than 30 years ago, more precisely, and I didn't have the slightest idea of what Prog was...Smile

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Date Posted: April 29 2015 at 00:59
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Best track on Old Loves!

yep that's a goodie

Date Posted: April 29 2015 at 01:09
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Spartacus was always a toughie for me because I find it a bit 'wimpie' mainly because of Barry Palmer's vocals and the subject matter. I struggle a little with that although the instrumental bits are impressive

Hey Richardh, the first Triumvirat recording with Barry Palmer was a B side for The Capital of Instant Power called "Take a Break Today", it was recorded in 1976 after Helmut left to boost Spartacus with a Pop single, but I'm 99.999 sure Barry didn't recorded a note in Spartacus.

Iván

Interesting!
I've just got the reissue of Trilogy with a new mix ( not by Steven Wilson sadly) but yet to listen to it. Trilogy was an album that a nice balance of all of the band members not just about the insanity of Emerson. I can fully appreciate the general view of Emerson. His technique is dominated by one hand ( sorry don't know which) as was intimated in a radio programme when one Rick Wakeman had him as his guest. It was framed as a compliment obviously. However for me music is as much about creativity and ideas as it is about technique although you can't have the former without the latter. Emerson was full of ideas in that period between 1970 and 1973 , possibly more than any other single musician of the time. ELP was not all about him though and Trilogy perhaps was the only album of that period where the other 2 managed to rein him in!

Date Posted: June 14 2018 at 08:18

Anyway Keith did rate Rick Wakeman but Ricks 'Keith,who?' comment in the press at the time didn't help matters much and they had a supposed long running feud. According to Wakeman this was massively overhyped by the music press and fueled by their own record companies!

I know this is from a few years back, but in the end, I think that RW is learning that he missed out on something, and he is making waves on it now. Rachel Flowers did Keith unplugged ... and no one did Rick unplugged, and he is now doing it.

It has been my opinion all along, that "unplugging" it is the greatest reason to find out how good a composition it really is, and a lot of Keith's work, has stood up magnificently on Rachel's hands ... and I can not say the same thing for anything on Rick's hands. 

I doubt that Keith was not aware of a lot of other bands, and keyboards in Europe, although it is possible he might not have spent time listening to them, if he were afraid to be influenced, which I am not sure he would be, but in the end, his composition side is not what stood out in his life ... his showmanship and performing side was the one that a lot of us got into ... which I think he regretted later, because it took away from the seriousness of the work he put together with his mates, which no one saw, or understood. 

We can all thank Rachel for that assist. As for Rick, I think he still needs a lot of crumpets and coffee and some more golden capes to try and show that he is a great composer. That he is a fine musician is not an issue, and that he has shown in concert recently, but really ... c'mon ... he's playing that for the 1750th time! you would think he had it down by now!

The day I hear a complete side of TFTO on his piano ... I think I will take RW a lot more seriously, and in the meantime, there are/were hundreds of folks all over Europe that were as good if not better than RW in my book. At least some other folks did not pretend to copy Keith, and to think that Banco and PFM and Triumvirat were just copies is ridiculous as they were beautifully defined musically already by the time ELP came around with Manticore. 

And we haven't even gotten to some of the keyboard wizards around that time!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 15 2018 at 00:13
^ yep absolutely. Keith's 'antics' for want of a better word did unfortunately detract somewhat from his skills as a composer. ELP were a rock band and perhaps saw themselves as entertainers to some extent and that is also obvious. BTW check out The Three Fates Project with Marc Bonilla and a German Orchestra. Love the orchestral version of The Endless Enigma.
Another great keyboard player/composer is Patrick Moraz. Refugee were/are possibly the most underrated prog band of the seventies. Fantastic one off album before Yes decided they couldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Not many keyboard players understudied both Emerson and Wakeman. Think about it!

Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 10:49

^ yep absolutely. Keith's 'antics' for want of a better word did unfortunately detract somewhat from his skills as a composer. ELP were a rock band and perhaps saw themselves as entertainers to some extent and that is also obvious. BTW check out The Three Fates Project with Marc Bonilla and a German Orchestra. Love the orchestral version of The Endless Enigma.
Another great keyboard player/composer is Patrick Moraz. Refugee were/are possibly the most underrated prog band of the seventies. Fantastic one off album before Yes decided they couldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Not many keyboard players understudied both Emerson and Wakeman. Think about it!

GERMANY must be the place to be for progressive and experimental, not London!

Gads ... even Edgar Froese, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Eberhard Schoenner have had their material done with orchestras ... and probably others I don't know about!

But in England ... it costs too much money, which ought to specify their interest in the arts or the money! 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 17 2018 at 18:32

GERMANY must be the place to be for progressive and experimental, not London!

Gads ... even Edgar Froese, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Eberhard Schoenner have had their material done with orchestras ... and probably others I don't know about!

But in England ... it costs too much money, which ought to specify their interest in the arts or the money! 
I can definitely see your point, mosh, with who you have mentioned, and there were German Symphonic Prog Bands like Pell Mell with criminally under-rated keyboardist Otto Pusch doing concerts with orchestral accompaniment way back around 1971, which is notable on their live bootleg from that period. Another excellent classically influenced keys player from Germany that is also from a undeservedly under rated prog band is Juergen Dollase from the group Wallenstein (and also in Cosmic Jokers) Don't know if Wallenstein ever toured with an orchestra, but they if they did, it would have been really something! 
        And, Richard, Refugee are fantastic, and, yeah, under rated as anything.

Date Posted: June 19 2018 at 07:31
Hi,

I was thinking of a couple of others that have had orchestras doing their thing ...

Ryuichi Sakamoto ... and he has also played the piano with an orchestra.

Jean Michel Jarre ... I think, has done stuff with an orchestra. Have to re-check that.

Vangelis ... more than once, but his inability to travel, and carry his equipment is an issue and he won't do many of these shows unless they are at home, and there is no money for the arts in Greece.

Mike Oldfield ... more than once, though at times, I kinda think that ... it was average, and not as great as it could be. I still think of EXPOSED as the best he has done with it, but the credit goes to the individual musicians that helped him there. The Millenium show was nice, but I am not sure it was great great. 

On the other European front, Thijs Van Leer has done a lot of work with orchestras, although in his solo albums some of it may be represented by keyboards.

The keyboard player with Ekseption (Rick Van Der Linden) is probably as good, if not better than RW in my book. Better compositions, and a lot less ... "show off". No capes necessary!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 03:38

Hi,

I was thinking of a couple of others that have had orchestras doing their thing ...

Jean Michel Jarre ... I think, has done stuff with an orchestra. Have to re-check that.

Vangelis ... more than once, but his inability to travel, and carry his equipment is an issue and he won't do many of these shows unless they are at home, and there is no money for the arts in Greece.

Mike Oldfield ... more than once, though at times, I kinda think that ... it was average, and not as great as it could be. I still think of EXPOSED as the best he has done with it, but the credit goes to the individual musicians that helped him there. The Millenium show was nice, but I am not sure it was great great. 

On the other European front, Thijs Van Leer has done a lot of work with orchestras, although in his solo albums some of it may be represented by keyboards.

The keyboard player with Ekseption (Rick Van Der Linden) is probably as good, if not better than RW in my book. Better compositions, and a lot less ... "show off". No capes necessary!
That's interesting....
     I  really think highly of Ekseption; they made fun music, that was also technically pretty amazing. Van Der Linden was exceptional (no pun intended)
          I have always liked Thijs Van Leer; I did not know he worked with orchestras.
          Jean Michel Jarre; now that would be interesting, as well. I only know him by his recording Oxygene.
         Sakamoto I know by name, only.
       Mike Oldfield has been a bit of a hard sell for me, musically. I will have to delve further, I suppose.
   Vangelis is good.

Triumvirat were to tour for their album A La Carte with a brass section and choir, but that tour was cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 06:21
Jean-Michel Jarre plays with a Chinese orchestra on Les Concerts en Chine. In my opinion this album has his most interesting music. Of course he became a pretty big act worldwide and I'm pretty sure he has played with orchestras later on some of his stadium/arena events (no problem to afford this for him!), but there's not that much attraction to me in his music of the later period.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 09:03
This thread is making me crave some Double Dimples!!!

Date Posted: June 22 2018 at 00:02

Hi,

Jarre - The China Concerts has some orchestra and is one of his best 

Vangelis - Mythodea is great but as you suggest he struggles to get his classical stuff 'out there'

Oldfield - Kind of a 'dabbler'. Music Of The Spheres is fine. He did collaborate with the composer David Bedford a little bit but that was never a big thing it seems for him.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: June 22 2018 at 11:11
You can't beat journey to the centre of the earth....better than all mentioned so far...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk