Print Page | Close Window

Seventh Wonder

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76465
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 11:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Seventh Wonder
Posted By: Porcupinetheater
Subject: Seventh Wonder
Date Posted: March 06 2011 at 16:03
I only came across this band recently, but I was instantly struck with just how fantastic the music was, especially on their last two albums, Mercy Falls, and The Great Escape. The 30 minute epic that shares its name with the latter album has been essentially on repeat on my iTunes for the last week and a half.

I also personally think that they pretty much transcend their collection of prog metal influences, and use relatively typical genre styles to absolutely brilliant effect. And Tommy Karevik is just a God of a vocalist.

I was just wondering what other people's opinions of this band were, considering I haven't been able to see that many opinions, considering they aren't necessarily the most well-known of bands. I'm just interested to see where everyone stands on them!

-------------
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure.

Replies:
Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: March 06 2011 at 16:09

a band that listened too much to DT's 'Images and Words'.

When listening to 'waiting in the wings' or 'mercy falls', it's hard not to think about images and dreams.

That said, I like that band. The great escape is less catchy than the previous albums but still good.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Date Posted: March 06 2011 at 16:13
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

a band that listened too much to DT's 'Images and Words'.

When listening to 'waiting in the wings' or 'mercy falls', it's hard not to think about images and dreams.

That said, I like that band. The great escape is less catchy than the previous albums but still good.

Yeah, I definitely think the Dream Theater influence comes through heavily on those, especially Waiting in the Wings. Still, Images and Words is a kick-ass album, so I guess I don't find myself minding too much in that regard...

-------------
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure.

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: March 06 2011 at 16:17
Fantastic band, I don't think they've ever released a bad album.

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Islandstone
Date Posted: March 10 2011 at 18:43

Good band, happy to see a thread about them. I don't own any of their albums(yet), as they are hard to find in stores here in Norway. Spotify comes to the rescue...

Yes, Tommy is an awesome vocalist, in a band with impressive musicians. 

I do think they get too "poppy" sometimes,though; listen to the chorus of "Long way home" from The Great Escape for example. 

Date Posted: March 10 2011 at 19:47
Originally posted by Islandstone Islandstone wrote:

Good band, happy to see a thread about them. I don't own any of their albums(yet), as they are hard to find in stores here in Norway. Spotify comes to the rescue...

Yes, Tommy is an awesome vocalist, in a band with impressive musicians. 

I do think they get too "poppy" sometimes,though; listen to the chorus of "Long way home" from The Great Escape for example. 

They do go occasionally poppy, but they do add their signature sound to it, and they do it so much better than everyone else, I actually don't really have a problem with it! Go figure, cause usually I'm burning pop songs at the stake. And can you get any of the albums on Amazon out there?

-------------

Posted By: angeoand
Date Posted: March 11 2011 at 00:43
Clap     

hello anyone

Posted By: dtguitarfan
Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:47
Hello SW fans!  The ONLY reason this band is not my absolute #1 favorite is that they only have 4 albums....
Wink

Anybody feeling cautiously optimistic about the Kamelot news and how it might affect Seventh Wonder?

-------------
http://tinyurl.com/cy43zzh" rel="nofollow - My 2012 List

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:51
Originally posted by angeoand angeoand wrote:

Clap     

hello anyone

Anyone?  ANYONE?  ANYONE?

GO AWAY.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:52
Oh, I just realized that spam post was over a year old. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:56
Jacob, are you a SW fan?

-------------

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 18:44
Good and talented band, but drinks too much from Dream Theater, A.C.T. and Symphony Xfor inspiration IMO, which means: they don't sound original at all.  I, for one, don't like them too much. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 23:25
^ Shows how much you understand. They have quite a distinct methodology and sound.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 01:17
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

^ Shows how much you understand. They have quite a distinct methodology and sound.

I'm admitedly not a fan, but I can easily recognise their influences and they are so damn obvious it sometimes bears similarities with plagiarism, as far as I can tell from their latest album.

For example, Wiseman painfully remembers Symphony X's 2002 album The Odyssey, as well as other songs, such as The Anglemaker and Move on Though. The latter also has some mixture of 90's SX around Divine Wings, as does the song Long Way Home, which is very similarly composed as Divine Wings "ballads". There's also some considerable dose of AOR/melodic rock there as well.

The A.C.T. influence is mainly focused on the song Alley Cat, even though I can still hear some things here and there throughout the album.

There is also some Dream Theater influence in the guitar work and how the musical phrases develop mimicking Jonh Petrucci's.

i'm pretty sure there's something else that I still can't quite put my finger on.

The most "original" songs on the album IMO are King of Whitewater and the epic, being the first still somewhat reminescent of the said influences. The epic, though, is some really good piece of prog metal, mostly original, though I can still sense SX's V - Mythology Suite all over it.

That said, I have only checked their latest album and, for the most part, this band seems to be the SX equivalent to Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 08:31
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I'm admitedly not a fan, but I can easily recognise their influences and they are so damn obvious it sometimes bears similarities with plagiarism, as far as I can tell from their latest album.

For example, Wiseman painfully remembers Symphony X's 2002 album The Odyssey, as well as other songs, such as The Anglemaker and Move on Though. The latter also has some mixture of 90's SX around Divine Wings, as does the song Long Way Home, which is very similarly composed as Divine Wings "ballads". There's also some considerable dose of AOR/melodic rock there as well.

The A.C.T. influence is mainly focused on the song Alley Cat, even though I can still hear some things here and there throughout the album.

There is also some Dream Theater influence in the guitar work and how the musical phrases develop mimicking Jonh Petrucci's.

i'm pretty sure there's something else that I still can't quite put my finger on.

The most "original" songs on the album IMO are King of Whitewater and the epic, being the first still somewhat reminescent of the said influences. The epic, though, is some really good piece of prog metal, mostly original, though I can still sense SX's V - Mythology Suite all over it.

That said, I have only checked their latest album and, for the most part, this band seems to be the SX equivalent to Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT.

SO...WHAT.  Give me a band you like and I'm sure I can come up with comparisons to other things.  That doesn't mean they are not a good band, and it doesn't mean they don't have their own unique and distinct style.  Every band is influenced by someone.  Those songs you mentioned?  I really don't hear the influences you're talking about.  I mean, kind of...MAYBE.  Plagiarism?  Not in any way, shape or form, sorry.

Seventh Wonder has this method I find incredibly unique where Tommy Karevik, the singer, almost sounds like he is separated from the band - almost like he is singing a melody for a pop song on top of their complex poly-rhythmic layers.  I played some SW for someone who had never heard them the other day and he immediately noticed this too.  If you can't hear that and don't think it's unique, then don't listen.  Plain and simple.

And on top of this unique element, Andreas Blomqvist is, I believe, THE best bassist in rock.  My rakings for bassist would go:
Victor Wooten
Andreas Blomqvist
Billy Sheehan

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 10:59

SO...WHAT.  Give me a band you like and I'm sure I can come up with comparisons to other things.  That doesn't mean they are not a good band, and it doesn't mean they don't have their own unique and distinct style.  Every band is influenced by someone.  Those songs you mentioned?  I really don't hear the influences you're talking about.  I mean, kind of...MAYBE.  Plagiarism?  Not in any way, shape or form, sorry.

Seventh Wonder has this method I find incredibly unique where Tommy Karevik, the singer, almost sounds like he is separated from the band - almost like he is singing a melody for a pop song on top of their complex poly-rhythmic layers.  I played some SW for someone who had never heard them the other day and he immediately noticed this too.  If you can't hear that and don't think it's unique, then don't listen.  Plain and simple.

And on top of this unique element, Andreas Blomqvist is, I believe, THE best bassist in rock.  My rakings for bassist would go:
Victor Wooten
Andreas Blomqvist
Billy Sheehan

First of all, you should know that I don't think they are bad, as I mentioned in my very first post:
Quote [Seventh Wonder is a]Good and talented band

However, thet does not makes them special either and you should be realizing that. I too have my share of bands that people say they are derivative or plagiarists (such as Glass Hammer or Triumvirat), but that does not keep me from both enjoying them and acknologing their "weaknesses".

As for the comnpositioning techniques, that does not make them unique as well. It may be different from the traditional pop or mainstream music compositioning, but that's fairly commonplace for progressive rock. If I recall correctly, Yes was quite proficient at that, among the classic progressive rock bands.

Regarding my favorite bands, I don't know about all of them having some very noticeable influence from another artists/band in particular, because many of them are classical prog rock bands and I would have to go even further back, which I don't intend to, but others do have very obvious influences that, at times, bear similarities with plagiarism. Dream Theater, for example (my all-time favorite band, alongside Pink Floyd) is a great example of that: starting in Falling into Infinity all their albums have a strong background influence of some sort (not counting that John Petrucci at many times sounds like Steve Morse): Falling into Infinity is VERY MUCH influenced by Queesnryche's album Promised Land; Scenes from a Memory is VERY MUCH infleunced by Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime and has lines in Through my Words that are the very same as the begining of the title track of Pink Floyd's album Final Cut.

Just my two cents.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 11:42
CCVP - why are you still here?  Man, it ticks me off how the only point of this site anymore it seems is to trash artists.  This is a Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  Appreciate them or go away.

Every single artist out there can be listened to with one of two approaches:
1) Analyze them to death and figure out every similarity you can possibly find and then say "aha!  Plagiarism!" (by the way, just because it's SIMILAR does not make it plagiarism).
2) Appreciate them for what they are.

Every artist you have mentioned thus far I am very familiar with as they are favorites, I own every album, and have listened to every one a ridiculous amount of times.  And every single time I've listened to these albums I've found new things I APPRECIATED.  That's because I'm not LOOKING for things that are WRONG, I'm hearing all the amazing things they are doing that I could never hope to do and thinking "wow, that's great!"  And it makes music a much more enjoyable experience than me trying to figure out how I could possibly make a weak link to another artist and say "aha!  Plagiarism!"  (which it's not)

In conclusion - this is the Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  If you don't have something nice to say, stay out of it.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:02
There are 12 notes in a chromatic scale.  When you play as many notes a minute as fast as Seventh Wonder does, you're bound to have a few in common with another artist or two.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:25

CCVP - why are you still here?  Man, it ticks me off how the only point of this site anymore it seems is to trash artists.  This is a Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  Appreciate them or go away.

1) Analyze them to death and figure out every similarity you can possibly find and then say "aha!  Plagiarism!" (by the way, just because it's SIMILAR does not make it plagiarism).

Every artist you have mentioned thus far I am very familiar with as they are favorites, I own every album, and have listened to every one a ridiculous amount of times.  And every single time I've listened to these albums I've found new things I APPRECIATED.  That's because I'm not LOOKING for things that are WRONG, I'm hearing all the amazing things they are doing that I could never hope to do and thinking "wow, that's great!"  And it makes music a much more enjoyable experience than me trying to figure out how I could possibly make a weak link to another artist and say "aha!  Plagiarism!"  (which it's not)

In conclusion - this is the Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  If you don't have something nice to say, stay out of it.

There's nothing wrong with voicing a criticism of an artist here; in order to appreciate a band for what they are, we have to acknowledge their weaknesses, also.  You and Caio may have a difference of opinon concerning whether Seventh Wonder is derivative or not, but his opinion being the more "negative" one doesn't mean it's illegitimate or shouldn't be voiced.  It's importatn that we listen to music critically as well as appreciatively; these two types of listening bolster each other and increase our overall understanding of music. 

To answer your first question, no, I'm not a fan, as I've never heard any of their material, but they sound like something I would enjoy (but then again, so does everything else on this site! LOL).  I'll try to check them out, your placing their bass player just below Victor Wooten makes me excited to hear his skill.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:32
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

There's nothing wrong with voicing a criticism of an artist here

Except that it seems that's all anyone does around here any more, and it's getting quite tiring.  "Yes sucks."  "Rush sucks."  "Jethro Tull sucks."  "Dream Theater sucks."  "Pink Floyd sucks."  It seems all anyone ever DOES in this forum any more is trash bands, no matter who they are.  I for one think it should be banned from the appreciation threads - they should be havens where one doesn't have to put up with that crap.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:36

To answer your first question, no, I'm not a fan, as I've never heard any of their material, but they sound like something I would enjoy (but then again, so does everything else on this site! LOL).  I'll try to check them out, your placing their bass player just below Victor Wooten makes me excited to hear his skill.

Also, I should add - whatever you do, DON'T start with their first album, Become.  Even the band members freely express the weaknesses of that one as they recorded it, mixed and mastered it all themselves in a week's time, and they had a different singer who is a fine singer, but he's no Tommy Karevik.  But I give the other three 5 stars each as I truly believe they are all Prog perfection.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 13:13

There's nothing wrong with voicing a criticism of an artist here; in order to appreciate a band for what they are, we have to acknowledge their weaknesses, also.  You and Caio may have a difference of opinon concerning whether Seventh Wonder is derivative or not, but his opinion being the more "negative" one doesn't mean it's illegitimate or shouldn't be voiced.  It's importatn that we listen to music critically as well as appreciatively; these two types of listening bolster each other and increase our overall understanding of music. 

My point exactly, thanks man. *brofist*

And, really dtguitarfan, I'm not trashing the guys. Maybe you should read my post(s) more carefully.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 14:38

Except that it seems that's all anyone does around here any more, and it's getting quite tiring.  "Yes sucks."  "Rush sucks."  "Jethro Tull sucks."  "Dream Theater sucks."  "Pink Floyd sucks."  It seems all anyone ever DOES in this forum any more is trash bands, no matter who they are.  I for one think it should be banned from the appreciation threads - they should be havens where one doesn't have to put up with that crap.

Believe me, I've seen stuff like what you're describing, and yes, it's quite irritating and boorish.  But Caio didn't come anywhere close to trashing Seventh Wonder; he made a legitimate criticism of the band, and you can legitimately disagree with him.  He has every right to criticize SW, just as you have every right to criticize maudlin of the Well or any band that you don't like.  If he had posted something like "Seventh Wonder sucks, they just copy every other prog metal band," it would have been one thing.  But instead he admitted their talent and then leveled a criticism of derivativeness, for which he gave several examples.  He didn't ridicule anyone for liking the band, as he admitted that he likes certain bands that have a derivative sound

Even on an appreciation thread, criticism can be beneficial and can actually help us to appreciate a band to the fullest extent; it's hardly "appreciation" to only heap praise on a band without acknowledging their weaknesses, just as it's not respect to a historical figure to brush over their faults and make an idol out of them; in fact, that's an abuse of that person's memory, and it's not history, it's hagiography.  If we had a Martin Luther appreciation thread, for example, it would be unfair to dismiss his anti-Semitic statements.  As a Lutheran, I honor and respect Luther for his bravery and excellent theology, but I also acknowledge that he had faults.  It would be a different matter entirely if someone came on the thread and said "Luther was a terrible person, he hated Jews."  That's being unfair in the opposite direction.

So what I'm saying is that we should engage discussion with those who criticize a band that we like, because we can learn something from that and come to appreciate the band more by acknowledging it's weaknesses.  People who are just trolling, on the other hand, should be ignored, because everyone can tell that they are merely being inflammatory, and if we don't pay any attention to them, they will have no reason to continue their actions, being attention seekers by definition.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 14:49

Believe me, I've seen stuff like what you're describing, and yes, it's quite irritating and boorish.  But Caio didn't come anywhere close to trashing Seventh Wonder; he made a legitimate criticism of the band, and you can legitimately disagree with him.  He has every right to criticize SW, just as you have every right to criticize maudlin of the Well or any band that you don't like.  If he had posted something like "Seventh Wonder sucks, they just copy every other prog metal band," it would have been one thing.  But instead he admitted their talent and then leveled a criticism of derivativeness, for which he gave several examples.  He didn't ridicule anyone for liking the band, as he admitted that he likes certain bands that have a derivative sound

Even on an appreciation thread, criticism can be beneficial and can actually help us to appreciate a band to the fullest extent; it's hardly "appreciation" to only heap praise on a band without acknowledging their weaknesses, just as it's not respect to a historical figure to brush over their faults and make an idol out of them; in fact, that's an abuse of that person's memory, and it's not history, it's hagiography.  If we had a Martin Luther appreciation thread, for example, it would be unfair to dismiss his anti-Semitic statements.  As a Lutheran, I honor and respect Luther for his bravery and excellent theology, but I also acknowledge that he had faults.  It would be a different matter entirely if someone came on the thread and said "Luther was a terrible person, he hated Jews."  That's being unfair in the opposite direction.

So what I'm saying is that we should engage discussion with those who criticize a band that we like, because we can learn something from that and come to appreciate the band more by acknowledging it's weaknesses.  People who are just trolling, on the other hand, should be ignored, because everyone can tell that they are merely being inflammatory, and if we don't pay any attention to them, they will have no reason to continue their actions, being attention seekers by definition.

Jacob, you are my favorite person in this thread. Cool Hug

And the Dream Theater comments are here because they are probably the band that I know best besides Pink Floyd. Hell, I car recite most of their albums from start to finish LOL and have some totally unnecessary merchandise as well (like the cover albums and many other "official" bootlegs)! LOL 

Again, we are not trying to pull you away from the debate, dtguitarfan. Give us some insight on those guys. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 15:06

Thanks Embarrassed.

Really, though, Geoff, I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns.  I want to make sure I don't come off that way.  I mean, I was just visiting the VdGG vs PF thread Wacko, so I know what you're talking about.  If we're going to try and decrease the negativity on this forum, we have to make sure that we accomodate constructive criticism and reasonable debate so that we can focus more effectively on the real troll-y and insulting stuff.

Anyway, I'm a bit in the dark right now; what exactly is going on with Kamelot (I think you mentioned this above, Geoff) and how is it affecting Seventh Wonder?

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 15:12

Thanks Embarrassed.

Really, though, Geoff, I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns.  I want to make sure I don't come off that way.  I mean, I was just visiting the VdGG vs PF thread Wacko, so I know what you're talking about.  If we're going to try and decrease the negativity on this forum, we have to make sure that we accomodate constructive criticism and reasonable debate so that we can focus more effectively on the real troll-y and insulting stuff.

Anyway, I'm a bit in the dark right now; what exactly is going on with Kamelot (I think you mentioned this above, Geoff) and how is it affecting Seventh Wonder?

There's another band I don't understand. I'm not a big fan either, but they have their share of good albums, which is the case of The Black Halo. Anyway, they were getting better and better with each passing album and then BAM, everything went downhill after Black Halo. What happened?

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 15:54

And, really dtguitarfan, I'm not trashing the guys. Maybe you should read my post(s) more carefully.

I did.  And here's what's pissing me off - you don't say "plagiarism" lightly.  There's a difference between constructive criticism, and saying "plagiarism".  There is a difference between saying "sounds like" and "plagiarism."  There is a difference between saying "this band emulates" and "plagiarism."  There is a difference between saying "quite similar to" and "plagiarism".  You sure as h*** better have a d*** good reason for using that word, and that's why I'm pissed off about someone coming into an "appreciation" thread and using words like that.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 15:57

Check this thread for the answer to that:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87807" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87807

I was actually sick when I read the article in the link (very first sentence of my post) because I thought it meant the death of Seventh Wonder, and as I have mentioned they are second only to Dream Theater in my opinion, and I may actually love them more because they are poor starving artists.  But then when I read the statements from the band I got very hopeful - cautiously optimistic as I said.  Kamelot has a much bigger budget than Seventh Wonder, and a much bigger fan base, and I am hoping that this connection between the two bands give Seventh Wonder more recognition, and maybe they'll be able to quit their jobs and devote themselves full-time to music....

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:30

^^That's a bit different from actually calling them plagiarists.  Admittedly, he did call them the "SX equivalent of Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT" but if you read the entire post he's quite clear that he considers them talented and appreciates some of their work.  When you see any word used it's important to take it in context, and if you take "plagiarism" in context here it becomes clear that he's not using it provocatively.  Plagiarism is the theft of someone else's intellectual property, and if you read Caio's post it's clear that he doesn't mean that; he's merely misusing the word, which everyone does sometimes and doesn't make his post unacceptable or provocative.  

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:36

^^That's a bit different from actually calling them plagiarists. 

Yes, and my point is that word should NOT be used lightly, and then you yourself pointed out how he doesn't seem to think it's a big deal to through the word around:

Admittedly, he did call them the "SX equivalent of Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT"

Another favorite band of mind under the cutting edge of his derision.  I'm SICK of people waiting around for chances to pounce on bands they don't like, and it's one thing when it's a band that made it big and made money, but when it's a bunch of guys who have jobs and do music on the side - they should be off limits from that kind of s***, at least in an "appreciation" thread.  Appreciation threads are for appreciation.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:45

Yes, and my point is that word should NOT be used lightly, and then you yourself pointed out how he doesn't seem to think it's a big deal to through the word around:

Admittedly, he did call them the "SX equivalent of Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT"

Another favorite band of mind under the cutting edge of his derision.  I'm SICK of people waiting around for chances to pounce on bands they don't like, and it's one thing when it's a band that made it big and made money, but when it's a bunch of guys who have jobs and do music on the side - they should be off limits from that kind of s***, at least in an "appreciation" thread.  Appreciation threads are for appreciation.

He made a mistake.  He wasn't trying to be provocative, he just used the wrong word, which had stronger connotations associated with it.  I do that sometimes, and you do too, and so does everybody else.  This word being misused is particularly common, which makes it even more understandable.  I think Caio has made it clear enough by now that he wasn't trying to bash Seventh Wonder.  Every band has to deal with criticism, and I'm sure the guys in the band are used to it by now.  I already explained that criticism was an aid in full appreciation, so this thread is no different.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:50

He made a mistake.  He wasn't trying to be provocative, he just used the wrong word, which had stronger connotations associated with it.  I do that sometimes, and you do too, and so does everybody else.  This word being misused is particularly common, which makes it even more understandable.  I think Caio has made it clear enough by now that he wasn't trying to bash Seventh Wonder.  Every band has to deal with criticism, and I'm sure the guys in the band are used to it by now.  I already explained that criticism was an aid in full appreciation, so this thread is no different.

Ok, he hasn't said it was a mistake.  In any case, this is my #1 peeve about this forum - when an appreciation thread jumps to the top of the list that hasn't been there in a while, someone IMMEDIATELY jumps into the thread to say "HEY EVERYBODY!  GUESS WHY I DON'T LIKE THIS BAND?  HERE IS MY LIST OF GRIPES AGAINST THEM!  YAY ME!"

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 16:58
Ok, here's why I get so ticked off to see someone using certain words to criticize this band - I have been going to Prog Power USA for 7 years now, and every year they give everyone a magazine filled with interviews of the bands.  I teared up when I read the Seventh Wonder interview - scroll down in the link below and read the answer to this question:
Milton: The story in Mercy Falls is very emotional, and Tommy's vocals and lyrics portrayed that immensely. I know it's a fictional story, but was there any sort of real-life connection with that helped you achieve such emotion? I mean, you can feel it through the music...

http://www.progpowerusa.com/xiii/media/interview_2010_seventhwonder.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.progpowerusa.com/xiii/media/interview_2010_seventhwonder.html

It hurt me to hear how hard these guys work, and how little they are appreciated for it - I mean, they have a lot of love from their fans, but it's not enough to pay the bills, and I think if anyone deserves to make a living through music it's a band like this that has undeniably achieved excellence through so much hard work.  You can't deny the hard work they've put into the mastery of their instruments (including vocals) when you hear these guys.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:09

Quite true. There is an specific term for what I mean in Portuguese, which is my mother tongue, BTW, bit I don't believe there is one in English with the same weight, which is why I said "bears similarities with plagiarism" and not accused them of plagiarism outright. 

I thank you for stepping in and defending my POV, Jacob, but I believe I'll be getting out of this thread. I don't believe there is any way to go further here.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:12

It hurt me to hear how hard these guys work, and how little they are appreciated for it - I mean, they have a lot of love from their fans, but it's not enough to pay the bills, and I think if anyone deserves to make a living through music it's a band like this that has undeniably achieved excellence through so much hard work.  You can't deny the hard work they've put into the mastery of their instruments (including vocals) when you hear these guys.

If Dream Theater invited them to open their shows, maybe they would get more attention and even be signed on a bigger label.Their musicianship is superb, it's indeed a shame they have so little appreciation.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:13

Quite true. There is an specific term for what I mean in Portuguese, which is my mother tongue
Alright, I can see now how you wouldn't understand why that word would raise fury, and I apologize for bringing it upon you.  But from a native English speaker - you have to be VERY careful how you use that word when talking about anything artistic.  It's almost as bad as accusing someone of doing unspeakable acts to children, as far as art goes.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:14

If Dream Theater invited them to open their shows, maybe they would get more attention and even be signed on a bigger label.Their musicianship is superb, it's indeed a shame they have so little appreciation.

THIS!!!  MAN, I wish DT would do another Progressive Nations tour and have these guys as an opener!  I want to buy the $250 "meet and greet" ticket package once just to plant that little bug in their ears!

-------------

Posted By: Morsenator
Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:21

Ok, here's why I get so ticked off to see someone using certain words to criticize this band - I have been going to Prog Power USA for 7 years now, and every year they give everyone a magazine filled with interviews of the bands.  I teared up when I read the Seventh Wonder interview - scroll down in the link below and read the answer to this question:
Milton: The story in Mercy Falls is very emotional, and Tommy's vocals and lyrics portrayed that immensely. I know it's a fictional story, but was there any sort of real-life connection with that helped you achieve such emotion? I mean, you can feel it through the music...

http://www.progpowerusa.com/xiii/media/interview_2010_seventhwonder.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.progpowerusa.com/xiii/media/interview_2010_seventhwonder.html

IMHO music is put to use best when it channels life and emotions truly and without pretending. Sounds like this band is trying to do that. Which album would you recommend to listen first? I've been trying to get into a lot of new music lately, and they might be a nice addition to that Tongue Haven't heard anything from them so far. It's good to try out some new PROG METALZ every now and then LOL

-------------
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:28
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

IMHO music is put to use best when it channels life and emotions truly and without pretending. Sounds like this band is trying to do that. Which album would you recommend to listen first? I've been trying to get into a lot of new music lately, and they might be a nice addition to that Tongue Haven't heard anything from them so far. It's good to try out some new PROG METALZ every now and then LOL

Oooh, tough call - just don't listen to the first album "Become" first.  I've explained in this thread why.  I think you're in a good position to enjoy these guys as I see some things in your list of ratings, such as Dream Theater and Darkwater.  But here's a rundown of what exactly are the best points of each album in my opinion:

Waiting in the Wings - this is kind of an "AOR" situation, as I understand "AOR" to mean, which I might not fully.  But none of the songs have anything to do with each other, they're more part of a collection, like an artist's gallery, and the band does a great job of showing off their virtuosity in this album.

Mercy Falls - a concept album.  A WONDERFUL concept album.  The story is a bit confusing, though, and some of the "acting" by the "voice only" actors is not that great.  And they toned down the virtuosity here in order to concentrate more on telling a story with the music, but that virtuosity is still there, just not as in your face.

The Great Escape - I think they outdid themselves here.  Another "AOR" deal, but with an AMAZING 30 minute epic, and every single other song is just soooo good.  You might want to save this juicy album for after the other two so you aren't disappointed with them after this one.  Wink

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:31
^
Mercy Falls, best introduction to the band :

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:33

Waiting in the Wings - this is kind of an "AOR" situation

The Great Escape - Another "AOR" deal
yes, besides Dream Theater, another obvious influence is a band from their own country, Europe.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:34

Quite true. There is an specific term for what I mean in Portuguese, which is my mother tongue
Alright, I can see now how you wouldn't understand why that word would raise fury, and I apologize for bringing it upon you.  But from a native English speaker - you have to be VERY careful how you use that word when talking about anything artistic.  It's almost as bad as accusing someone of doing unspeakable acts to children, as far as art goes.

With all the due respect, you are overreacting. A lot.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 18:14

yes, besides Dream Theater, another obvious influence is a band from their own country, Europe.

Who are you thinking?  Someone from Norway?

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 18:14

With all due respect, don't say "plagiarism" unless you intend to make a serious accusation.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 19:48

I'm certain of it. Big Elf got a huge deal of attention just because Mike Portnoy decided to give the ma hand.

Who are you thinking?  Someone from Norway?

Oh man. . . . LOL He means the Swede band Europe, famous for songs such as Final Countdown.

Alright, I can see now how you wouldn't understand why that word would raise fury, and I apologize for bringing it upon you.  But from a native English speaker - you have to be VERY careful how you use that word when talking about anything artistic.  It's almost as bad as accusing someone of doing unspeakable acts to children, as far as art goes.

With all due respect, don't say "plagiarism" unless you intend to make a serious accusation.

-------------

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: June 23 2012 at 20:02

C'mon. You gotta realize that English is not the mother tongue of the world. There are several languages around the globe. And the way I see it , this site is not called "The Anglo Saxon Progressive Rock Archives" It's meant to reunite people all around the world and some of the best prog reviewers and collaborators come from non English speaking countries. So in the end you have to be thankful that you were born in an English speaking country so you don't have the necesity to know other languages to get a job in most occasions.

Besides unless you are a relative to SW bandmembers I don't think there is the need to worry that much about stuff like plagiarism (let's rephrase it with "ridiculously influenced by" so we do not hurt anybody's sensibilities.)

Sorry if I was a bit too harsh but that's my POV.

Posted By: Morsenator
Date Posted: June 24 2012 at 05:42

^
Mercy Falls, best introduction to the band :

Thanks. Sounded quite nice, I think I'll check that one first, then Tongue

-------------
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk