Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77195
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 05:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Drama vs 90125
Posted By: Blacksword
Subject: Drama vs 90125
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 17:17
As much as I love Drama my vote goes to 90125. Yes needs Anderson on vocals in my opinion, and 90125 was more of a 'progression' from what had gone before. I think it stands out as a high point in 80's rock music, with it's fresh bright production and fantastic mix of heavy rock, with electronic sampling and strong melodies.

It may have signaled the creative downfall of Yes for many die hards, but I rate it among their best.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Replies:
Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 17:20
I think Drama will win easily this poll, which is why I'm tempted to vote for 90125. 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 17:35
For me it is not a temptation to vote for 90125, but a fact.

-------------

Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 17:37
Drama is very good. Not a single weak tracks and a good mix of prog and pop. A classic for me and worth 4 stars while 90125 never got me, even if I have listened to it a lots of time. Maybe I didn't gave it a good chance. Anyway my vote goes for Drama.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 18:04
Drama ---one has god Howe and the other Van Rabin---just another rock guitarist.

Posted By: Phideaux
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 18:12
While I agree there is something about Anderson that really consolidates "Yes", the same can be true for the sound of Squire's bass and Howe's wacky style of playing.  Sure, Time and A Word are great albums by Anderson, Squire, etc. but they don't really COOK with the Yes sound that would come with Howe and whatever god's Offord aligned with by the time of Yes Album.  However, the sound of Yes, for me, was as much the tough bass/drum/guitar nucleus with Anderson and zany keyboards overlaid.

So, while I dearly love both albums - Drama as a recent aquisition and 90125 as something that I lived through at the time -- I'm going with Drama.  Even without Anderson, that clean/reverb free tight sound is evident.  The songs are very absorbing, although a little bit Yes-lite, but at least they are like Yes.  90125 is a FANTASTIC new creation of rock music for the 80s.  Very much the future, very much chrome like the cover.  The fact that Anderson is singing is like he's been exhumed from death a million years later and through the wonders of cybernetics fashioned into a robot to appear in this new slick music.  But, as much as I loved it and was all about that version of Yes at the time, in retrospect, it's not really Yes music to me.  Drama wins (on many levels and as much because I also loved the Buggles in the 80s!)

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 18:42
Drama!

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: Anthony H.
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 18:56
While Anderson is truly the spirit of Yes, his brilliance is overshadowed by Rabin's mediocrity on 90125. It's not a bad album, though. However, Drama is much better.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 20:16
All I can say is that I bought a CD copy of Drama and am not interested in 90210.  I was when it first came out but I don't need it in my collection.  Non essential material.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Phideaux
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 20:39
In absentia?

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 23:04
The one with the Los Angeles zip code.

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 01 2011 at 23:05
I love Drama.  90125 is a beer coaster in the den.  

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 01:00
Originally posted by Phideaux Phideaux wrote:

While I agree there is something about Anderson that really consolidates "Yes", the same can be true for the sound of Squire's bass and Howe's wacky style of playing.  Sure, Time and A Word are great albums by Anderson, Squire, etc. but they don't really COOK with the Yes sound that would come with Howe and whatever god's Offord aligned with by the time of Yes Album.  However, the sound of Yes, for me, was as much the tough bass/drum/guitar nucleus with Anderson and zany keyboards overlaid.

So, while I dearly love both albums - Drama as a recent aquisition and 90125 as something that I lived through at the time -- I'm going with Drama.  Even without Anderson, that clean/reverb free tight sound is evident.  The songs are very absorbing, although a little bit Yes-lite, but at least they are like Yes.  90125 is a FANTASTIC new creation of rock music for the 80s.  Very much the future, very much chrome like the cover.  The fact that Anderson is singing is like he's been exhumed from death a million years later and through the wonders of cybernetics fashioned into a robot to appear in this new slick music.  But, as much as I loved it and was all about that version of Yes at the time, in retrospect, it's not really Yes music to me.  Drama wins (on many levels and as much because I also loved the Buggles in the 80s!)
Well said!  Clap

For me, Drama is the preferred of the two, but I cannot really say it is the better.  It is certainly unique in the Yes canon, and not just because of Anderson's absence.  So much of it sounds different - Squire, White, and especially Howe move in different directions.  And yet, somehow, it captures the spirit of Yes.  90125 showed us a leaner version of Yes, but as noted on The Word Is Live collection, it boasts three original members of the band, something that had not happened in 15 years.  And again, somehow, it captures the spirit of Yes.

By the way, Drama was the second time I saw Yes live.  It was strange with J.A., but the combination of Horn and Squire's harmonies emulated his vocal sound.  That show really rocked.  Imagine Machine Messiah live, amped up, and THUNDERING.  Tempus Fugit kicked, too.  I wish I saw 90125 live, but alas, I was far from civilization during those years.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 01:29
Drama, easy. A much misunderstood and underappreciated album. Some great playing from Squire and Howe.

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: unclemeat69
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 02:34
I actually lik Rabin's playing better than Howe's although Howe sounded better on Drama than on the previous 3 albums.

-------------
Follow your bliss

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 04:09
Drama without doubts.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 04:13
They are both excellent

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 04:16
Love both. But 90125 was more of a revelation to me. So my vote goes to 90125.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 05:06
you can easily live without 90125 and when you sometimes here something of it it don't bother you.
can't say this about drama ... one of bands worst records ...

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 06:27
90125 times better for me

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 09:09
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Drama ---one has god Howe and the other Van Rabin---just another rock guitarist.

LOLClap

If I had only one wish from the music fairy it would be that I'd go back in time and prevent Trevor Rabin from meeting Chris Squire and Alan White.Approve

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 09:25
Drama. Even without Jon Anderson, it is an interesting and solid album. 90125-not so much.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 11:35
90125 - it has Anderson.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 12:20
Drama

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 13:18
I love 90125. I doubt if there is an album that I listened more to than that one. And still shivers down the spine.

Drama has some good tracks, but I don't like it as much as 90125.

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 13:22

Don't like them, don't hate them neither.
Except for Owner of A Lonely Heart, which is a brilliant song IMO. So vote for 90125.

Posted By: Harold-The-Barrel
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 13:27
As Drama is my favourite Yes album i think the answer is obviousWink

-------------
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......

Posted By: thehallway
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 15:45

90125 is so magical.... I dislike most of it when I first heard it but it grows on you for sure. Every song has so much energy and life, the musicians are having fun and for once, not trying to show off (playing impressively nonetheless).

I deeply respect Drama because of the sh*t that line-up had to go through to make it, and it's very good too, but suffers from being a bit lifeless at times (the middle parts of the album seem a bit 'cold' to me (or maybe that's just 'cos of the album's cover!)).

Both are produced impeccably (duh... it's Trevor Horn) and both have some weaker tracks. However, I can happily listen to 90125 all the way through, whereas my Drama experience seems just as good when I go straight from Machine Messiah to Tempus Fugit.

It's 2011, enough of the fanboyish hatred for an 80's pop album!

-------------
http://www.thefreshfilmblog.com/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: dedokras
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 20:27
both excellent, I normally prefer Drama though

-------------
http://mlyk.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: April 02 2011 at 20:28
Originally posted by dedokras dedokras wrote:

both excellent, I normally prefer Drama though

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 04:59
This is easy for me - Drama is way better than 90125. Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit are amongst Yes's best track (for me of course)... Drama is very underrated (probably due to Anderson absence), but Squire and Howe shines there... Don't like too much Rabin's era in Yes (so blatantly popish oriented) and there's no way I should vote for any of those albums. But if I should choose among them I'd choose 90125 - it's the best one in the end.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 04 2011 at 22:35
This one for me is about "Machine Messiah" vs "Owner of a Lonely Heart"... Machine wins.

Posted By: clarkpegasus4001
Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 00:14
Both albums are ok I guess but  I prefer the early 70's stuff, but i'll go with Drama mainly because I love Tempus Fugit

-------------
Tony C.

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 01:32
Drama. One of my favorite Yes albums.

They should work with Jon Anderson less often.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 13:36
I like both....   I will vote 90125 because it is losing by too much imo

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 09:20
90125 is not as proggy as Drama, but it's more enjoyable, sophisticated in the sounds.

But the bass on Drama is marvelous...

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: davidk
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 09:59
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

While Anderson is truly the spirit of Yes, his brilliance is overshadowed by Rabin's mediocrity on 90125. It's not a bad album, though. However, Drama is much better.
I agree Anderson is not all that matters for Yes the rest of the band still got to play good! 90125 is pretty underrated on this website though, it is certainly much better than most of Asia's output.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk